Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

WANTED: Raleigh Seed Swap

trianglejohn
15 years ago

Hello Swappers. I think it's time to get the winter seed swap organized. I'm thinkin Saturday February 7th or 21st, 2pm at Panera in Briercreek like all the past swaps. Does anyone have a preference?

Comments (25)

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

Oh yeah.......

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Either one works for me. Not sure how much new stuff i'll have to bring but i'll come to visit with everyone!

• dirtrx
    15 years ago

Feb 21st works for me. This weekend I have soccer duty and the weather will be great.

I won't be able to bring much but I will come for the company. I'm not obtaining many seeds this year. Its a little depressing. I won't be able to do much w/sing because of my puppies. Somehow they manage to get to the recycling at least every other week I can't imagine what they would do to my w/sing jugs. On second thought, I can imagine and I just can't bring myself to do that to the seeds. They've dug up so many plants, wallowed in all my beds, misplaced most of my plant tags and yet they don't scare the deer.
    "I love my puppies, I love my puppies, I love my puppies, find my happy place, find my happy place" wanders off muttering. Dirtrx

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The 21st it is!!!

Lets all bring chew toys for Shannon (and maybe prozac)

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

Puppies! We need to see pics!

The 21st is great!

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

Yep, don't count on seeds from me. It's been a busy year, and my seed box is all year-old stuff. I'm coming for the company.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

sounds like everyone is in the same boat- needing a GW face to face fix more than the seeds! :) I look forward to visiting with all of you guys!

• keithrnjd
    15 years ago

Gotta miss it, unfortunately. I am getting a new puppy the day before, and am sure my house will be complete chaos!

Have fun!

Sally

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

will this be another monster mastiff??? what color?

My dog still acts like a puppy so there won't any new dogs at my house for a while. She'll have to age to the "piece of furniture" stage before I inflict that much chaos onto myself. Meanwhile I have the ancient cat that refuses to die despite my plans! In fact, she's getting healthier by the day. She just might outlive us all.

• dirtrx
    15 years ago

I'd be willing to dig up something from my yard (or maybe my neighbor's)to swap for prozac lol. The puppies quickly reminded me why I didn't want to have another baby. I'll take pictures as soon as I find the camera. They are a mix of Lab/Chow. One is very much a Lab and the other is more Chow even though they are sisters. I spent much of yesterday digging and replanting the shade bed. At least they did eradicate a vole. They are somewhat forgiven. I will be there on the 21st. Shannon

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

We've been looking for a pup, but I want tiny and that don't come cheap, even for a mutt.

Not sure if we're going to make it, lots going on. Will miss seeing you all!

• dirtrx
    15 years ago

Root,
    I sent you an email but you know how GW mail is. Shannon

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

thx, got it!

• keithrnjd
    15 years ago

This pup is going to be a "small" dog for me; only about 75 pounds! ;-) She's an American Bulldog, and is 3 1/2 weeks in the first photo.

{{gwi:548789}}

Here she is at 5 weeks:
    {{gwi:548790}}

While I'm at it, here's the "monster mastiff". He's 148 pounds now.
    {{gwi:548791}}

John, that cat of yours probably WILL outlive us all. Maybe you can at least get her in the record books and have something to show for it other than generalized annoyance. ;-) And I understand about the "piece of furniture" goal! Luckily my dogs are pretty laid back, even the pit.

I really don't need another dog, but I have subitted to some self-psychoanalysis (cheaper than the real kind!) and here's the deal...when my daughter went to college, I got my monster boy. My father passed in December after an 18 month long, hard fought battle with lung cancer. Hence this pup. God help my poor husband when my baby (who will be 14 on Tuesday) goes to college. I might start raising bulldogs.

Anyway, sorry for jacking the thread, just wanted to ramble a bit.

Here, let me add something relevant: I do have some moonflower seeds if anyone wants some. I can mail ya some, or John, I can send them to you and you could swap for me. Let me know.

Sal

• dirtrx
    15 years ago

Sally,
    Your pup is adorable! I love my babies and I know this digging phase will pass. Its like changing diapers it goes with the territory. And I would rather have them digging holes then chewing furniture. It is a whole lot easier and cheaper for me to replant a flower then to replace a couch or chair.

Hey Deb.,
    Did you see the news article regarding the puppy mills and all the animals they will need to place? I don't have a link but if I can find one. Shannon

• keithrnjd
    15 years ago

"This too shall pass" has become my mantra. I find it useful for countless situations! I have chanted this for the past 2 1/2 years, every time I find a mangled pillow or the unidentifiable remains of some article of clothing. Fortunately for all involved, none of my dogs have ever eaten a couch. Cell phones, yes, (three at last count) but never furniture.

Breathe.

Sal

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sally- send an envelopes worth if you want. Moonflowers are ones that many people look for. If we can't get organized I can always swing by and pick them up and pet a few noses while there....hint hint hint

My first dog was a boxer and I have forever been in love with snub nosed dogs. My first exposure to American Bulldogs was a news piece on tv showing them climbing TREES!! and I don't mean slanted over small trees either. This man liked to hunt and he had his American Bulldogs trained to climb up pine trees to retrieve raccoons or opossums or squirrels. Those dogs would go up like 40 feet! hugging the tree trunk with their front legs and kicking their way up with their back legs. I promise not to discuss it when I visit - I wouldn't want anyone to be influenced by my chatter...

• keithrnjd
    15 years ago

Hey, John, you are welcome to come visit me and my canine crew! If you'll send your address, I will send some seeds, too.

Some of those bulldogs are used for hunting wild pigs, too. I would love to see them climb, but I don't want mine learning to do it. Try and be on your best behavior! ;-)

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

OK, so all my seeds are old, just prewarning you. But I don't need any new ones. Probably no time to start them - it's the first February in 5 years that wintersowed soda Liter bottles have not dominated my sideyard.

I have peanutbutter tree saplings! They can be invasive by suckering, so you need the right site. If you want one, let me know, and I'll bring to seed swap. It will make me feel less guilty about showing up with my little box of aging seeds.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Brenda- i'm in the same situ- not much new & don't really want much. I don't care- i'm going to see everyone & visit. That said- what the heck is a PB tree? I'm very curious...

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

Sally, that pup is just too cute!

Shannon I did hear something about that, but not sure where what area they'll be adopting them from.

John, if we can't make it do you want me to drop some seeds in the mail to you? That or I'll just bring the extras I have to the plant swap. It's not too far off!

• dirtrx
    15 years ago

***Seed Donation****

Anyone who is coming to the Raleigh seed swap Barbra Kennedy from the JCRA is looking for seed donations for the women's prison horticultural program. She said they are not looking for anything specific. I'll be happy to collect them and drop them by or if you would like to mail them to me or I can look up the JCRA address c/o Barbra Kennedy. Shannon/Dirtrx

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

Are we tomorrow at Panera at 2?

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

Clerodendron trichotomum

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Thanks Brenda! It was fun visiting with y'all!