Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

WANTED: Triad Seed Swap!

rootdiggernc
16 years ago

I know some (like me) are itching to start their winter sowing and summer garden planning, so I thought we'd shoot for Jan. 26 (Saturday). If we happen to have bad weather, snow/ice then we'll scoot it to Feb 2nd. We'll do this after the lunch rush so 2:00 till we get tired of yacking.

As we discussed at the fall plant swap Panera Bread seems to be a good central location and easy to find. For those less familiar with the High Point area, it's on the corner of Hwy 68/Eastchester and Penny Road. Easy to google/map or let me know if you need more info.

Bring whatever seeds you have to share and you might want to bring some additional baggies/lopes and markers. We'll grab some tables and sit around and enjoy some good friends, good food, the latest goings on with our gardens and lots of seeds!

Don and I are really looking forward to seeing everyone again!!

Panera Bread

2400 Penny Road

High Point, NC 27265

(336) 812-4593 : phone

Comments (19)

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

Got it on my calendar. Question: Should all these seeds be cleaned or will the recipent finish cleaning them? I ask because I have many seeds collected in the mts. this past fall. I cleaned some to submit to NARGS, but it is so tedious that I never finished. I had just planned to throw most of them out this spring over the soil and see if any germinated. Well, I do have a few seeds in pks., but I have many more in the somewhat "natural" state. Just tried to clean the Sarracenia and Rhexia. The first was easy, but that Rhexia is like dust! If it rains tomorrow, I may be able to clean a few, but I am too "antsy" to sit still and do this. Now I know why I subscribe to NARGS and the Botanical Garden: the seed service!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ncresuce, I don't think anyone minds if you bring them as is, I sure don't. Some of mine are clean and some aren't. With some a mesh strainer works well. DH and worked on the castor beans one evening while watching TV. Salvia I put in a bag and give a good shake now and then and the seeds drop out into the bottom. If it's too tedious they get tossed into a bag/lope/tin and then I just rub them between my hands to scatter over the soil. Mother Nature sure doesn't completely clean them off. :D

• ferndottar
    16 years ago

The 26th sounds good. Deb, would you like us to bring you some of those big pots? If so you will probably need your truck. There are lots!
    Thanks for putting this together!
    Bob and Dawn

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Dawn and Bob!! I sent you an email, but never sure if GW mail is working. Let me know if you didn't get it, or you can email me at my gardenweb name rootdiggernc and add @gmail.com to it.

• flowrgirl1
    16 years ago

I may be interested! Have lots of veggy seeds to trade.
    flowrgirl1@yahoo.com

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Flowrgirl, great, hope you can make it!

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    16 years ago

Yes, I would enjoy this event and can ride with flowergirl. Robin in Lewisville NC (just for fun, let's see if this snow photo will work) http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/Bostoncrocus/crochet/

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Quirk, Glad you and Flowrgirl hooked up! Yep, can see your pic and loved the video you sent. I made some new suet blocks today, so the birds are happy. They've been having a feeding frenzy today.

• maryann2007
    16 years ago

I'd like to come to the seed swap,
    What are we bring to eat, Just let me know
    Be good to see you all again
    Maryann

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Maryann, Glad you're coming! We normally do the food thing at the spring and fall plant swaps. For our winter seed swap everyone is on their own. Paneras has sandwiches, salads, soups or pastries and gourmet coffees and regular drinks. It is up to each person if they want to order something to eat/drink there or not. Since this is our 1st seed swap it's going to be a very casual (well we'll call it casual chaos, lol) event. It's going to be sooooo much fun!

• susandonb
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I havn't talked to most of you here on the forums but some of the names sound familiar. I have been hoping for some local acquaintances, this sounds wonderful. I only have veggie seeds, well maybe a couple of flowers but I am still a novice when it comes to flowers. I just want to meet some local folks who love gardening as much as I do. We currently have a 1/2 acre veggie garden that we have been working for 4 years now. In two weeks we are having another 1 1/2 acres cleared for more veggies and a section for grapes. Don (my wonderful hubby) is also building me a lean to greenhouse on a new garage that is being built this week.

Can I bring mostly veggie seeds?

Thank you so much for organizing this. See you all then.

Susan in Stokes county

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Susan, Yep... veggies are great!! This swap really is a mixed bag of things which makes it nice for those that want to try new things as well as old favs. Plus this is a great bunch of people (from the plant swaps). You'll have a good time! Sounds like you and Don have big garden plans this year. Be sure to take before and after pics for posterity!

• gypseaflower
    16 years ago

I just saw this today and I haven't been active here for a while. But I'd really like to come to the swap. I'm supposed to work but can maybe rearrage the day and get to meet you all. So if you see one more strange face coming to join you it might be me.
    Debbie in K'ville

• ferndottar
    16 years ago

I just went through our plant file. We have a big shopping bag of seeds to bring. There are exotic herbs, flowers, wildflowers, heirloom vegetables, and for Vicky and Deborah, we have those tall tickseed marigolds seeds we promised. Also, we will load the car with all the big pots it will hold.
    See you soon!
    Dawn
    PS Susan in Stokes.. We are looking forward to meeting you! And any other new faces!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Debbie (great name!) that would be great if you get to come. Hope to see you there!

Dawn, Pots Woohoo!! You and Bob always take such good care of me!! Thanks! :)

Sounds like we're going to have a pretty good crowd, hope I can get us a big enough section.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Had a wonderful time today.... missed those of you that didn't make it! Bunches and Bunches of thanks to those of you who did. Everyone brought such awesome stuff!! I am beside myself with excitement to get started growing some of these!! You all do know we can't possibly grow everything we got today even with a perfect season. Not enough hours in the day!

• susandonb
    16 years ago

Hi All,

I can't believe I messed this up. I completely got the dates confused I thought the Swap Meet was the 2nd-next week! I even said to my husband Don as we were out running errands on Saturday how excited I was to go to the swap NEXT WEEK! ARRGGHHH!

I hope you all had a great time and maybe I can make it to the next one.

We got our greenhouse half built this weekend so that is some compensation for missing the meet. :)

Susan

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Susan, I'm so sorry you missed us! If you'll contact me maybe I can meet you somewhere with the goodies. I still have plenty to share and Dawn gave me her extra to take to the Raleigh Swap. I've got so much there's no way I can grow it all!!!

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

Somehow the large pk of fennel and milk thistle got into my box. Please email me so that I can return it to the owner. There is too much for me. I had taken some, but I cannot use it all. Or call, 643-5555.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus