Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: several things i'm looking for

Posted by nomadcat 6 B (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 19, 10 at 11:36

I am new to this board, but live in the mountains of western north carolina. I am very interested in forest gardening and have a few things I am looking for, and a few things to trade. what i am looking for are:
seeds or cuttings of: Honeyberry, alpine strawberry, groundnut, maypop, white or red currants, gingko, horehound, woolly lambs ears, honey locust, marshmallow

what i have to trade are seeds of:
spilanthes acmella (toothache plant, toloache), codonopsis pilosula, maral root, baical skullcap, fang feng ( saposhnikovia divaricata), hulless pumpkin, wild tomato, new zealand spinach, echninacea simulata/paradoxa and tennesseensis. i will have more cuttings and seeds as the year goes on. thanks
also, i usually only get in to the internet every few days so it might take me a few days to get to replies. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: several things i'm looking for

Hi Nomadcat, welcome to the forum! I'm in the middle of moving so I have no plants or seeds to offer but I do have experience with a few things on your list. I brought some Honeyberry with me when I moved to NC and they held on for many years, even bloomed and set fruit. They never really thrived but I had them in very poor soil and in a lot of shade, and I live in Raleigh - so you may have better luck with them. Many people complain that they have no flavor so be careful. I bought my alpine strawberry plants at Home Depot and I also grew them from seed by just scattering the seeds around the yard. The store bought plants have done better than the seed started ones. My yard also has wild strawberries (F. virginiana) but they rarely produce berries. Maypop is very easy from seed. I've harvested seed from wild vines that were loaded with fruit thinking that those seeds would produce highly productive plants - which didn't happen. You'll have to collect the currants from the wild since it is illegal to grow them here. A few people have them but you can't buy them. Horehound and Marshmallow are very easy and some herb gardener in your area should have them. They are one of those plants that once you have them, you'll always have them. The park down the street has a lot of honeylocust up near the walking trail but by this time of year most of the seed pods are gone. They are easy from seed. If you find any growing in the wild, dig a lot of the runners because not all of them will make it.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here