Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Wanted: Info on how swaps work

Posted by transplanted2scin07 7 SC (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 08 at 14:25

For the benefit of us who have never experienced a swap, could someone explain how these work? Is it bring a plant - get a plant? Are there rules about sizes of pots? Are there rules about correct labeling? Who makes the rules, the person hosting the swap?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Wanted: Info on how swaps work

The person who hosts is the one who makes the rules but usually they are few. I am including a link to a post by Trianglejohn who host one or two swaps each year in the Raleigh area. If you read through it you may find something to help answer your question. Also you can do a search on Gardenweb for 'swap rules and come up with several links, unfortunately most of our links are dead right now while our systems are being worked on.
Hope this helps, one transplant to another (I did it from Canada 30 years ago and have never regretted it)

Here is a link that might be useful: WANTED: How do you really feel about swaps?

o
RE: WANTED: Wanted: Info on how swaps work

I host the Raleigh Swaps and I've noticed that many gardening organizations in this area now do their plant exchanges in a similar manner. Back in the old days people organized swaps with all sorts of rules (bring a plant - get a plant or first come/first served). We don't do that. We try to keep rules to a minimum and chaos to a maximum.

The one thing I have observed over the years with new swappers arriving at their first Raleigh Swap is that in the beginning it is quite intimidating. We get about 45 people, all with glazed over eyeballs and foam dripping from the corners of their mouths. These people simply love to spend the afternoon with a bunch of fellow gardeners, sharing advice, sharing ideas, sharing plants. I often have to explain that as a group the bulk of us only see each other twice a year (at the swaps). We may act like we see each other every weekend but that just isn't true. Some of us have been coming to the swaps for years and we know what others are looking for or what sort of gardening they do. More than once a special hard-to-find plant has been given to me by someone that read one of my posts. I think sometimes they actually went out and bought the plant just for me as a way of saying thank you. I cannot say why these afternoons are so much fun - they just are. When gardeners get to a certain level of expertise they enjoy propagating their plants so they are constantly looking for people to take away all those rooted cuttings. It isn't always about new or rare plants. Many times people are looking for more of something they already have, they just want more of it. Sometimes they just want something their grandmother grew. You never know. Bring what you have, what you are proud of,, someone will want it and I guarantee you'll have fun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here