Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Raleigh Spring Swap 2007

Posted by trianglejohn z7b NC (johnbuettner@hotmail.com) on
Thu, Jan 11, 07 at 17:31

Ok gardeners, we've got some changes coming this year. As many of you know I will be selling plants this spring at the Wake Forest Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. So for the spring swap I need to know how many people care if we move it until the afternoon (1-3 or 2-4 or later?), or move it to Sunday's. Post your input here. Can't wait to see everybody and to see your trades!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Raleigh Spring Swap 2007

Afternoon sounds great to me. We could do snacks instead of a meal. I think it would enable more people from out of town to come too.

o

i'm ok with either sat aft or sun. a meal could still work with an afternoon time. i thought it might make it easier for the out of twn folks in the morning, but may complicate things for trips down to bbs and or plant delights afterwards. maybe that can happen in the am? i don't normally do that anyhow, but was just thinking...
you still planning for the last weekend in april?

o

At the rate this springlike weather is going we may need to hold the "Spring" swap in late winter! Easter is in early April this year so more than likely it will be either the last or next to the last Saturday.

The folks at the WF Farmers Market actually wanted me to move the swap to their location, thinking it would increase their traffic. But they don't have the parking set up for our needs and there isn't a bathroom or playground for the littl' chillins'.

o

I'm going to be selling at the Wake Forest Farmer's Market too and I would love to have the swap in Wake Forest because that is where I LIVE and Garner is a loooong drive. hehehe

But, I agree that the WF downtown location is just not a good place for the herds of people we get for the swap, no place for children to play and also no dogs allowed so your Mz. Barker couldn't come with you. Perhaps another park in Wake Forest could be an option and then have it in the afternoon on Saturday, or Sunday?

Nancy the nancedar

o

Afternoon is fine with me! My son has his soccer games on Sundays, so if we move it to Sunday that makes my attendance iffy. ;-(
Sally

o

• Posted by tietie z7b / 8 nc (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 13, 07 at 10:08

I'd love for it to be Saturday afternoon. and I'd love for it to be in Wake Forest (much closer to me) Sunday is iffy because it is DH's birthday.

Tanya

o

Either day, time, location is fine with me. I like Saturday afternoon best, but will be there whenever. -Ais.

o

Anytime. WF or anywhere closer to me is great - Garner is almost an hour drive.

o

Either Saturday afternoon or Sunday is fine with me.

o

Right now I am leaning towards having it Saturday afternoon at 2:00pm April 28th at some park on the north side of Raleigh. I will be in Wake Forest already til noonish so now I just gotta find a park somewhere up that way. So glad to hear that everyone is gung ho about this years swap - I know I have had huge success starting seeds in the hoop house so I'll be ready to trade.

o

Blue Jay Park is off 540 on Six Forks and it is near Homewood Nursery. But I don't think they have shelters to rent. They do have bathrooms and a play area. Can we do it at the Fairgrounds? Will the bathrooms be open? Shannon

o

Hey John, please keep those of us coming from the west in mind. Already drive a good piece and really love coming, how much farther is WF going to be?

o

Shannon - I thought about the fairgrounds but I can't count on the bathrooms being even CLEAN let alone unlocked!!! Plus we really need a place where we can drive right up to the shelter to unload or load - if possible.

Deborah - If I can't find the perfect place we will most likely be at Creech Road Elementary Park. Wake Forest (downtown) is straight north of Raleigh. I was thinking of someplace in north Raleigh or even Umpstead near the airport but I need bathrooms and shelters hopefully within an easy walking distance from parking.

o

umstead would be nice or even lake crabtree park- which is right off I-40 and very convenient for those coming from the west. or what about pullen which might be quite crowded on the weekends but would be central? fairgrounds would be great IF the bathroom situ could be guaranteed. with the side gate to the garden area opened, people could use a barrow and wheel their things right in. or wouldn't you have rights to use it?

pretty sure wake forest is quite a bit further for folks coming off 40 than garner is, and going through more traffic to get there. deb, from the west it would be about 20 min-30 mins further, i think (assuming you go on the northern loop or north side of the beltline). but please correct me if i'm wrong y'all.

i'm partial to garner, but it's because it's very convenient for me and several others, to pdn & bb's. i'll go anywhere you decide, though. we wouldn't miss it.

john- i know garner's town site has a map with all the parks- i bet raleigh and or wake county's site has the same, and would list shelter capacity, cost, etc.

o

Coming from the west, WF is definitely no further than Garner (maybe just a shade closer), and I think the drivings a bit less traffic-y. You can take 85 to 40 to 540 to Hwy 1; or 85 to 70 to 98 (shorter, but 20 miles on Hwy98 with lights).

Umstead or Crabtree would be closer, and ALL freeway driving.

Yipee - a swap that isn't an hour drive - for that, I'd come on a Saturday night!

o

ok, i stand corrected. glad it'll be nicer for folks coming afar. guess 540 makes a big difference- i know noone would want to drive up capitol for far. unfortunately, that's how we'll have to go to get there. btw, there is a less traffic-y way into garner, just not that many folks know about it. i'm always amazed that people still take 401/70 instead of hammond. it's just the next exit east and much less lights and traffic.

o

I'm glad it's not Saturday at the usual time, because I have an immovable, longstanding conflict (kept me from going to the Swap last April!). I'd personally prefer Sunday afternoon, but I can cut short the thing here, make the 1 1/2 hr drive and screech in at 2:00 Saturday with great joy! Looking forward -- had to miss the fall swap because of surgery, so I'm up for it.

o

John, I was wondering if Durant park might have what we need. It has been years since I've been up there. I could check it out though. Also, last year my daughter's end of the year party for preschool was at a playground with a shelter and restrooms, somewhere in North Raleigh. I can find out the name and location. There's also Pullen, but it's very spread out. I also thought of Jaycee park on Wade, but their bathrooms are not great and the playground isn't very exciting. -Ais.

o

Most of the parks I have visited don't have a drive way near the shelter and many have steep steps leading away from parking which would be a nightmare with all the plants we haul.

I am checking out Crabtree (over by the airport) this week and if I have time I may visit Durant. Most city parks limit reservations to 90 days before the event so this week is the time to reserve for mid to late April.

o

I just checked out the Arboretum website it has a plant sale listed on April 21st. Just a heads up so we don't have a calendar conflict. (I think their sales are member only.)

o

lake crabtree is pretty level with nice paths. if we could score some of the shelters nearer the 'beach' area we could probably get really close with our cars. the woods ones might be a little more walking, but it's got asphalt paths and they're pretty level, and it'd be shaded. those shelters are closer to the great playground. plus there are walking and bike paths and sailboat/canoe/kayak rentals for reluctant spouses & chilluns. if i recall right the woods ones are about the size of umstead's shelters, the beach ones i don't recall the size, sorry. can't remember if there are bathrooms close to the woods, but the marina isn't far and they'd have bathrooms there.

don't see how the arb sale will be a conflict if he's planning for the 28th @ 2:00. is that still the plan?

o

I wasn't sure if John had set a final date or not. The 28th works for me.

John, I would love some of your parsley. The caterpillars ate all mine- I did plant it for them. Shannon

o

Tomorrow was my day to check out parks but now the weather looks iffy for exploring. So this all may wait til this weekend.

Shannon - I have TONS of it! it is growing very slowly due to the cold weather. Its in the hoop house but even it gets down into the 30's at night. I usually grow for the 'pillars myself.

o

crabtree is a great little park, lots of space and usually not that crowded. Also right off 40. From WF you could just buzz down 540 and be there in 15-20 min.

Looking forward to the swap!! I haven't been to a spring swap before, what kind of stuff do people bring? More annuals started from seed or still lots of potted plants?

BTW if anyone I traded with in the fall had stuff that died, please let me know and I will try to bring you a new plant.

o

I checked out Crabtree this weekend and liked what I saw. The smaller shelters were very close to the pavement which will make it easy to haul plants. There wasn't much room for our Special Trade area but maybe we could work something out in the parking lot where Special Trades stay at your car and General Trades move to the shelter. Anyway the bathrooms were nearby (25 feet away) and there was a small playground within sight of the shelter. Now I just have to see if any Saturday's in April are available.

The great thing about Crabtree is that the fee to rent a shelter is a little less than the parks in Garner and you get the shelter for the entire day - so if anyone wants to use it in the morning before the afternoon swap feel free to move in and take over.

Dogridge - I think the selection of plants is pretty much the same as the fall swaps except there is a few more veggie/herb seedlings. In the past there has been quite a few wintersowing containers full of seedlings. I know I will be hauling a ton of seedlings from just about every type of plant there is.

o

Is this the Crabtree Park in Morrisville, on Aviation Hwy? Sounds nice and other things to do if some want to make a day of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lake Crabtree County Park

o

Bummer! I just realized that the swap is the same weekend as a big reunion I am attending in Dallas. Ten year reunion...plant swap...hmmm. Well, maybe the date will change.

o

John, are you bringing vegetable seedlings to the swap this year? I am trying to plan this coming summer's garden and would like to plant one each of a variety of tomato, pepper and eggplant, but do not want to buy a lot of seed for only a few plants per pack. I have ordered a pack of Golden Gem Tomato seed from Park which is described as a yellow cherry from China having a unique flavor. I also ordered Ambrosia cantaloupe, some zucchini and yellow squash seeds, okra and several kinds of lettuce. I would like to swap plants (or seeds) with anyone who is bringing other varieties of vegetables (or seed). (In addition to the annual and perennial plants, of course. That list will be posted very soon.)

o

ralphw - I am bringing veggie seeds and seedlings to the swap. Also sending you an email with specifics for your one of each veggie garden.

Anyone else interested in veggies? Seeds or plants?

I'm looking for flower bulbs - they don't seem to come to the swap. Anybody?

Nancy the nancedar

o

Nance, I'm expanding edibles this year. What kinds of bulbs? I should have rain lilies.

o

Not making promises just yet, but I usually have extra tomato and pepper seedlings for the spring swaps.
Dana

o

I think I'm only bringing parsley! hee hee

I will have seeds of the warm season stuff to trade but I don't have a lot of tomato seeds because my garden doesn't grow the best flavored 'maters (mine taste just like store bought!).

I do have lots of rooted cuttings of many types of large tropical patio plants (Persian Shield, Abutilons, etc.) and I have a few bulbs left - Casa Blanca lilies that will probably not bloom this year, and the tropical ginger Curcuma 'Siam Tulip'.

Nobody panic - the date of the swap hasn't been set yet. I still have to check with the park to see if any of the shelters are available. I'm looking at the last two Saturdays of April but until I talk to someone in charge of the schedule I have no idea which Saturday the swap will be.

o

Here's hoping for the 21st. I've also got a reunion weekend conflict on the weekend of the 28th (quarter century), and it would my decision re:attending a little easier. If I don't make it to the swap I may have to ask Brenda to be my agent for a few trades (brokerage fee included, of course).

o

Well it looks like the 21st is available. I haven't received the forms to fill out and mail back but they've assured me that Saturday the 21st is ours ours ours. We will have the White Oak shelter which is the furthest away from the lake. It is near a small playground and there are other playgrounds throughout the park. Shelter rental comes with a set of horseshoes (pits beside the shelter) so if any spouses wanna toss them around I can pick them up at the office. The park is gonna be closed that morning but opens at noon. I will probably start the swap at 2pm. Because we have the shelter the entire afternoon we can all have a say in when to start and when to eat and when to race off to BB's or elsewhere...

o

So are we talking Crabtree? If so, Tammy, Crabtree has some great mountain bike trails and also sunfish rentals.

o

thanks, brenda, i know- it's a favorite of ours. cute little park, and quiet. it also has kayak rentals, which we've done. we haven't done the sunfish yet. there's fishing, too, if anyone's into that, but they say not to eat them- it's pcb contaminated from an old industrial site nearby. i know pete & the chilluns will bring their bikes, though they aren't mtn bikes. they like the smoother paths- one of which goes all the way 'round the lake. there's a pair of eagles that nest across the bridge, too. really looking forward to this!

o

Well, I haven't heard back from the park after I sent in the forms so my guess is that all is a GO! I will post more details as the time draws nearer.

Saturday April 21st, 2007
Lake Crabtree Park
Whiteoak Shelter
From 12 noon til dusk
Swap and Picnic

Because we have the shelter for the entire afternoon I am letting the group decide when the actuall swap will occur. I, more than likely will not be there til closer to 2:00pm.

My proposed schedule is set up and special trades from 12:00pm til 2:00pm. General Swap from 2:00pm til 3:00pm. Picnic from 3:00 til 5:00pm.

I will post directions to the park - but if you're confused, Lake Crabtree is right beside I-40(south side) take the airport exit but turn and go the other way.

The park is closed for an event (some sort of charity run) that morning so the shelter fees were half price.

If the park employees count more than 50 people in the shelter we will have a problem. I had intended to extend an invitation to other gardeners that I know outside of GardenWeb but since we normally attract about 45 people I may rethink that. So if you have an entire neighborhood that wants to play, bring them along but there can't more than 50 people in the shelter at one time.

o

John-it seems like we seldom are all under the shelter at any given time. I think you should invite whoever you want.

o

i concur w/shari- more the merrier! besides, didn't you say it's one of the woodsy ones? i doubt the park folks will keep an eye on that nearly as much as if we were in the sunny area. they'll probably have their hands full, and it's a good ways from the main building. the leaves should be out at that point. i think with the longer time frame and varied distractions people will tend to ebb and flow a bit more, too. especially the kids and spouses, who add up pretty quick. were you including them in your estimate of 45 before? i'm terrible at estimating people- i really don't have a good feel for it. i think there are picnic tables scattered through the woods nearby- maybe we can commandeer some of those too, to help spread it out. or does anyone have some of those big folding tables?

if they are having a race there that day will it be crazy to try and get in right at noon? when does the race end?

your proposed timeline sounds a-ok to me- but that leaves you outta special trades. is that ok? i'll bring the flags along again for them, but i'm not sure exactly where we'll do that part. we can figure that out that day i guess.

one thought- if we aren't eating til much later than normal, we'll have to make sure we can keep food cold the whole time leading up to it. we have a couple coolers we can bring to help with that.

o

They never said when the race ended but I assume they planned some clean up time before they reopen the park.

I have folding tables - 2 big - 2 small so we can make do away from the shelter.

The park folks were more than happy to have us there (and surprised I accepted the half day/half price offer) but they stressed very firmly the "No more than 50 people" rule. So I imagine they have some way of checking on things. I told them that non-swappers may come by to investigate what we are doing & that I had no control over how many people might be at the shelter, and that calmed them down a bit.

The sign on the shelter will say "GardenWeb" so that should point everyone in the right direction - but I will post a map and detailed directions before the swap.

Maybe we could eat first and swap second. Or everybody that can get there early could just arrange things and orchestrate what happens next... I was thinking the special trades could take place in the parking lot at our cars but they could end up scattered far and wide, so I'm not sure. There isn't a whole lot of room around the shelter for "stash" areas so maybe we need to arrange the picnic tables in the center of the shelter and let every run around them like a game of musical chairs - oh oh oh! I know, We could turn this whole thing into a game of musical chairs! I could sing songs while everyone runs in a circle around the swap plants. When I stop singing you have to grab the plant closest to you!

ok

maybe not

o

I'd love to participate. How does it work?

o

john- it'd be pretty hard to hear you with earplugs in ;)

kenkesha- just keep watching- all the sorta rules will be posted sometime- they're more like guidlines, really. you can also look at the fall swap threads to get a really good idea; i'm sure john posted the 'rules' there. basically, if you know you have certain stuff to bring and want to arrange special swaps for specific plants ahead of time, post the haves and wants on the special swaps thread that brenda from eno just posted recently. some people just post it in the thread, others edit their have/want page and link to it. then others will respond in the therad to what you posted and arrange preswaps. if you don't have specific things you know of ahead of time or anything to bring, just bring what you can, even if it's only food, and be prepared to go home with lots of plants, stuffed full! (there's a food thread started at some point, often under the conversations heading) we put all of our nonspecific stuff under the shelter & proceed to have semi-orderly swaps- 1 plant first couple times the bell rings, then 2, then 4 then a free for all. john will explain it all at the swap, too. kids and spouses are welcome to come. it's as much about getting together and eating as it is about plants, but you'll go home groaning from an overabundance of both! and probably with many new friends to boot. they are a lot of fun.

o

We also have a tendency to get silly the closer it gets to swap time so do not be discouraged if the responses on this thread take on a life all of their own. This whole swap thing is like a garden club that you only have to endure two meetings a year - the spring swap and the fall swap. Some of us have been coming since the first one in like 2001 (Rooty! Dirty! help me out if I'm wrong). It can be overwhelming the first time. We act like we've never gotten together in a public place before. I don't know where all the silliness comes from - but I'm sure I'll get blamed for it. I only go for the food... and to ring my bell.

o

oh ho- wonder why john gets blamed!? 'cause he's the silliest!! how can you deny it with that silly trademark giggle- you're infectious. :) we have A LOT of fun at these- can you tell? tammy

o

silly sounds right up my alley!! Got room for one more??

o

It is amazing how far we've come in such a short time. And one of the main reasons is John's affable nature. Really- if you are looking for staid, pretentious, uptight, strictly by the book, plant for plant swap this will be disappointing but if you are looking for people who love to share their plants and knowledge this is the swap for you.

But there is one main rule- bring John food!

And if you are new to gardening this is definitely the place for you. While John says I no longer qualify for newbie status, this swap is how I got started gardening. We are a very friendly bunch. It is amazing the variety of plants which show up. Garden staples to the exotic will show up. NC has such a long and wonderful growing season we really can grow just about anything. Shannon/Dirtrx

o

Did someone mention FOOD?

o

Here we are!! I will change my day off at BB, and will bring some kind of goodies to eat, and any plants I can divide and bring. I can't wait to meet all you wonderful and silly folks. Gardener = silly?

o

well, for this crowd it does. no boring meetings for us! :)
if you desire, you'll want to post your wants & haves on the other thread(brenda's) in here to set up special swaps. i can bring the seeds i mentioned over on the regular forum to the swap for you. can't wait to meet you- tammy

o

Seems to me that we could solve sooooo many problems if we just moved the swap to the parking lot at BB's in Sanford.

Run that by John F and let us know what he thinks.

o

have them close down and cater just to us! (otherwise we'd just annoy the other customers. i'm sure we'd make up enough for them in sales) gosh, what a party that'd be!! :) tam

o

I would be happy to mention that to John F. I would certainly be very happy indeed it the sale were there. I unfortunately always feel too responsible to take the day off since it is our busiest time of the year and have missed the swaps since I started working there. Though I think I remember some people wanting the swap closer to the north of Raleigh to make it easier for other folk to come. Discuss amongst yourselves and I will check back to see what you guys decide. John F. is probably the next nicest John you could meet ha besides our "fearless leader". Adele

o

well, i was being sorta tongue in cheek, but it WOULD be fun...

o

Yeh Tammy, I thought both you and John were kidding but I thought I would throw it out there selfishly and see what happens. I see Amy is planning on going she will have a blast. I might just have her bring along a couple of special trades for me if I can get it together long enough to make a list. Adele

o

oh adele, i hate that you can't come. it's been so long since we've seen you. can't you get off this time, either? : (
i guess at least we get to see you at bb's.

o

Is there a park near BB? It may too late for this swap but in the fall!!!!!Shannon who is going to BB tomorrow!!!!

o

When does the food thread start?

I missed the fall swap, but loving that I can make it to the spring!

I will have lots of foxglove.

I need to thin my Iris some and don't have areas ready for planting.
Should or could I bring them bare root? or just wait until fall, most are blues and yellows.

o

bring them in whatever shape you have them in. noone will care. just try to label them with the color and name if you have it. foxglove- yay!
food thread should be starting soon over on conversations side. seems like it's normally about a month prior.

o

Just in case...Tramway Elementary School happens to right across from well ...let's just say it is in Sanford ;>

Adelle- Thanks you so much for your help. I enjoyed my time there. I also really appreciated Robin's help. Everything was beautiful and healthy.

Ralph- my MIL would appreciate any of the butterflyweeds. She is trying to make a butterfly garden. Her problem is the deer. So I picked her up a salvia and an agastache. (Okay, I admit, I got her ones from which I plan to make cuttings from as soon as they are big enough.)I'll chaeck you list to see if I can start something for you. I plan on spring sowing this weekend. Shannon

o

Adele, we miss you.

o

Nancedar - What kind of flower bulbs are you looking for??

Looking forward to the swap! I'm still thinking about what I might be able to dig up and divide!

o

Tammy,
I missed out on the Veilchenblau cuttings at the fall swap. What are you looking for this spring?

o
RE: HAVE: Raleigh Spring Swap 2007 oops

Dang, put that on the wrong thread.

o

no problem, alicia, we can transfer it over. yes, you missed your cuttings- you were gone by the time i got around to distributing my cuttings bucket. no worries about bringing me something- i still owe you the cuttings! :) i'll post this on the other thread, too. tam

o

Confederate rose anyone? Need it. Also lost the variegated plectranthus that I brought many cuttings to last swap - anyone have a cutting to trade back to me? John, none of my namby seeds sprouted yet - want to get two from Cistus and split shipping?

o
Brenda does it again!

Brenda - this year I am digging up my massive Confed Rose and planting it at the fairgrounds (and then bringing it back home after the fair). I have tried to root cuttings and never had any success so when I dig and chop the big mama, if say, a side shoot should decide its time to make a break for freedom I will surely pot it up for you BUT I doubt it will happen by swap time. But I know how to get ahold of you.

I have some plect's. I'm not sure if I have the ones your talking about. I've got my silver leaved one and some of your silver leaved one (very tolerant of my cool hoophouse over the winter I might add). I've got a mostly yellow variegated one that looks like 'Gold Coin'. And I have the larger leaved variegated one that Ralph brought to last years swap.

I am not giving up on my seeds - I just noticed some Siberian Iris seeds have sprouted and I planted them last November!! But I will get with you about an order from Cistus (partly because I like to support micro-nurseries and partly because they have some stuff I would love to try).

o

John,
I've read alot of your posts (been lurking for a month or so) and was wondering if you have/will be bringing any artichokes to the Spring Exchange. I cannot believe they really grow here!!! (Silly me - I've been payin' $2 each in the stores)

Thanks,
Tammy
Apex, NC

o

john itake stem cuttings about eighteen to twenty four inches long and root them in water they develope a good root system

o

I just moved to Apex from the Laurel Mountains in central PA at the end of last year. I would love to attend the swap. I will post closer to the event what I can bring to trade. Looking forward to meeting everyone ~ Shari aka Arborbluffgirl

o

bmaxx - any white lilies, pretty daylilies (thanks to rootdigger I have some gorgeous purple and grape DL's), any bulb that is yellow flowering, including the elusive bright yellow iris, since I think I have every other iris color but that.

All - I gave out a bunch of orange-red Asiatic Lily babies at a couple of swaps - would love to know if anybody kept them going and if they bloomed?

I divided a pretty lavender-flushed-pink native Geranium (Crane's Bill) for shade to trade. Looking for another color too.

brenda_near_eno - rain lilies yes please - what do you need?

Nancy the nancedar

o

Nance, did you give me some? If so they must be out there somewhere! Some things didn't bloom last year, but I don't think I've lost anything.

o

nan- i think i have some yellow iris i can share. i have regular beardeds and i think i have enough of a siberian yellow. just don't sue me if the beards don't turn out to be yellow, because i'm bad about labels. let me know if you want to take the chance (heh heh). i have a bunch of dayliles, but they are badly labelled, and are old fashioned varieties. best i could do would be to guess and give you a color. i know you don't like pink, but i don't have many pinks anyhow since i don't like it either. i have scads of a nice widish apricot one that blooms fairly early. and i'm pretty sure i can find some hyperion, which are tall, yellow & bloom late. let me know...

magik- this isn't the best time to get artichockes going. they prefer the cool weather and do 100 % better getting established through the fall & winter so you'll do a lot better getting some come fall. we do a fall swap, too. campbell road nursery sells the plants if you don't end up being able to swap. oh, and generally you can artichokes a lot cheaper at the asian groceries. oour whole fam loves them, so we only get them when they're cheap. it'll be nice to meet you and arborbluffgirl- i'm from PA, too (1 hr north of pittsburgh for me). tammy

o

Tam - Seems great minds are named alike :)
I'm a complete newbie, but I'm slowly trying to take my boring 1.7 acre yard from having just foundation plantings & an azalea or three, to a living entity. Nice sunny front yard & a great woodland setting in the back. I have lots of room to play & with the help of these forums, I'm getting some great ideas. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at the swap. I'll be checking this thread for the final date, time & place info.

Thanx!!!

o

magick, I am in a similar situation to you, except that my front yard doesn't have as much sun as I like (can I grow asparagus on the roof of my house somehow?!). I'm very new at gardening so I don't know if I'll have anything to offer besides chocolate kaluha cookies and some of my sister's rice paper plant....but I'd love to see the fun.

o

Did you say chocolate kaluha?!?!?! Now if only I could grow THAT!!
I've been begging my DH to cut even more front yard trees to let in more light for an edible-ly landscaped front yard.

o

oooh- magick, we're more alike than you realize. edible landscaping is a passion of mine. what i have of sun is in my front yard too. my back is semi-wooded, also, but i don't have near as much land (ours is .66 acre). we've been thinning trees in the back to let in a bit more sun so i have more room for edibles & others. our yard started in much the same situ- boring boring boring, and i have enjoyed carving out my niche. let's talk! :)

cutternumber, i've tried asparagus without enough sun and it just does't work. it grows but only sporadically, and you don't get enough to harvest- only tease. but people do have rooftop gardens... maybe if you have a flat roof! i've always thought those were cool as can be. check the arboretum's sometime. chocolate kahlua sounds DIVINE. bring em on! and heck, i want some rice paper plant anyhoo- for some reason i've had trouble getting it going. thanks, tam

o

OMG! Chocolate Kahlua cookies? OK John, drop the cookie(s) and you won't get hurt! I can see the fight now, lol....

Magick, I like the edible landscaping too and have dibs and dabs of things scattered around. Lots to choose from and some will take less than full sun. Tammy is very knowledgeable on that topic.

o

magick- ck the other thread started by brenda that has special trades. i was asking if there was anything in particular you were looking for- i have scads of berry plants i can bring to share. no trade needed- i like helping get new ed landscapers get going. root & i have swapped stuff back & forth a while now.

o

Yippee!!! The chainsaw is making it's spring debut this weekend. Hoping to clear out some "scrap" pines & misc. vines to make way for a nice cherry tree & a berry patch. I'll be focusing on the sunny/semi-sunny front yard this year, and the semi-shady woodland backyard/farmyard (we have dogs, rabbits, and soon to have chickens) next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magick's Trade Page

o

Cutter, if you and any other newbies will stop over at the other swap thread and let us know what you're looking for the swap zombies around here generally love to help out. We live to help create new addicts! :)

o

magick, i can bring you some kiwi cuttings, a black rasp, wineberry and a red rasp. if you have a neat variegated or blue hosta, i'm game for a trade, but otherwise no worries. i'd recommend doing a northstar cherry- they are the only ones that do ok here. you could try a different one in a container. there was a thread about this over on the main board this spring.

root is sooo right- we love you newbies so we can pawn off all the extras we have *insert wild cackle here*. the more addicted we all become, the more we all share. we are such bad enablers. besides, you guys always bring new good food, too.

o

I just almost laughed myself off my chair at the mention of the exchange happening at BB. Gail would NOT like that. But it would be mighty convenient. Y'all let me know if you need me to pick up anything from over this-a-way!!! I can't wait!

o

Tam - I do happen to have extra variegated hostas (I LOVE variegated plants)! The kiwi & raspberries sound great. I'll look into the Northstar cherries. Do they come in Dwarfs?

I'll have a TON of orange daylilies, if anyone is interested, also some azaleas, some yellow iris, red tulips & a canna or two.

o

northstar is a dwarf sour cherry, and self pollinating. home depot and lowe's often carry them, and if not, you should be able to find them at one of the nurseries around. i posted a question for you on the other thread about your peony. and your hostas, but you just answered that! :) thanks! tam

o

you guys are so welcoming! (eek, I guess I HAVE to make cookies now). I will head over to the other swap thread...

o

Dirtrx,
Is there anything I have that you would want to trade for some of your Delphinium yunnanensis 'Blue Bouquet'?
Thanks,
amyflora

o

dtpforu, the ginko I'm bringing you is pretty small. Is there anything else you want with it? 2 plants for one doesn't seem quite fair :-) -Ais.

o

I am planning on bringing the following to the swap:

dwarf red anthurium (1), orchid I am trying to id (1) stella d'oro (2), caryopteris (1 gallon), trycirtis formosana (1 or 2 plants)
wholly thyme, star jasmine vine start (if interested let me know and I can bring boat loads, clematis vine (trying to id) any takers on liriope grass?, unknown mums

Special trades: crossvine (good size) twin leaf (1) reed stem orchid starts

Seedings: polemonium brandegei, amsonia tabernaemontana

I am still trying to get a grip on my property, ie moisture, sun etc, but it I know I want lavendar, purple salvia, and other full sun perennials.

~Shari

o

Arborbluff girl- Would be interested in the liriope. Have-hollyhock, cardinal climber vine, black eyed susan vine, scarlet runner beans, cannas-dif colors-,tomatoes-roma and mortgage lifter.Have forsythia also.

o

---Mad about mickey, would you be interested in trading Black-eyed Susan vine and Cardinal vine for Brugs. I have both white and apricot (Charles Grimaldi) in one gallon pots. In fact, I have several white ones in 10-gal pots that I would like to find a home for, if anyone can transport them?
---Arborbluff girl, I would like some of the Polemonium seedlings and am interested in the reed stem orchid - I have lots of hardy, full sun perennials listed in my Trade List. I suggest Monarda 'Jacob Kline' and Salvia 'Argentine Skies' for your consideration, but choose whatever you like.

o

Ralph, I'd love a white brug if you have enough. What can I bring you?

o

arborbluff girl- did i read twinleaf correctly- as in jeffersonia? i'd love it- take your pick of what i have. i have lots of stuff not on my list- if there's something in particular you're hankering after, ask, because i may have it. just let me know- thanks, tammy

o

Deb, did you want the white Brug in the really large (7gal?) pot or the year old rooted cuttings (or you can have both)? I would like any of the following from your list. Orange Crocomia, wall flower, Mexican Evening Primrose & Lamium. If you want anything more from my list, let me know.

o

Ralph, I don't know if I can fit the 7 gal in my car so better go with the 1 year old. I have the Armenian cuke seeds, crocosmia, wallflowers, and evening primrose set out for you. Thanks!

o

It was nice to meet everyone at the swap today! I wanted to apologize for "grabbing the plants and running" once the swap was over. This was my first swap and I didn't allocate enough time for trading and socializing. My husband and children were chaffing at the bit for my return as we had plans this afternoon. Barring any unforseen problems I will be around in the fall with my plants ready and marked. Thanks again for the wonderful plants.

o

it was nice to meet you too, arbor. thanks again for the twinleaf. plan to bring the hubby & kids next time. there's always lots of 'plant widow(er)s" & minors around to keep each other company! :) tammy

o

Thank you to all of you guys for making the swap so generous and fun. I am very excited to have something to grow in my new garden besides the "giant clods of red clay" crop that has been doing so well this year. This fall I'll dig up some more of my bloodroot to bring & also some euphorbia.

Sorry Toffee tried to climb on the picnic table to help herself....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here