Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susandonb

WANTED: Where is everyone?

susandonb
17 years ago

This forum doesn't get much traffic, huh?

Where are all the NC gardeners?

Susan in NC

Comments (4)

• Lynda Waldrep
    17 years ago

I have done a little winter sowing along with making vacation plans via studying things on the internet. Wed. I will be in a propagation workshop to prepare for a passalong sale the local Master Gardeners have in the spring. I also posted my new "addiction" at reading things on this site...usually don't have time. Now the cold weather has kept me in. Outdoor work when it is below 30 AND windy is not for me. Oh, I did help my husband get some firewood yesterday and was able to take a brief walk in the woods, sheltered from the wind. Found some heuchera, too, and plenty of Christmas ferns. They really look nice when there is nothing else green on the ground. Check out the winter sowing forum; they are always posting something, including their photos. Such a lively group! I lurk there sometimes.

• susandonb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sounds great, what are Christmas Ferns?
    Susan

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

We are here. I know for me I do more lurking because not much is happening in my garden. You will see things pick up more around swap time. Plus I am spoiled regarding weather, I know that this is our version of winter and I am just biding my time until it is warm enough for me. By the end of February we will be discussing "Is this the end of winter?" and that is only a couple of weeks away. Although with today's temp I am planning on planting some "bargain bin" plants who have been patiently waiting for 2 weeks in their pots. That & I am checking Ralph's post for an update regarding the Arboretum's plant sale. Shannon/Dirtrx

• Lynda Waldrep
    17 years ago

Christmas fern=Polystichum ascrostichorides

They are native evergreen ferns that are usually listed as the backbone (someone called them the workhorse) of the woodland or native garden. They can take a little sun but are usually in the shade. Several years ago, when we went almost three months with no appreciable rain, they did "crisp up" a little, but as soon as Sept. and the rains came, they were ok. I could not water them as they are too far from the house. I also recommend autumn ferns; they are not native, but I have quite a few. They are evergreen and a great addition to the woodland garden. I have a tray waiting to be planted when the weather warms up.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA