Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trianglegardener

HAVE: Spring Swap in Raleigh

trianglegardener
13 years ago

I know it's early but just wanted to find out if there were plans for a swap this spring in the Raleigh area. Weather is lulling me into a false sense of hope for the garden this year.

I have Sinningia sellovi and and Daphniphyllum macropodum (false daphne) for trade. Need to update my trade list.

Comments (124)

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Actually, Orostachys is very hardy outside here. I grow mine in pots that I leave sitting on a stone wall and never give them any winter protection.

I'm going to try and stick cuttings in the greenhouse tomorrow (a good activity for a rainy day). Salvia 'van houttei' is in full bloom now, but I'll see if I can find anything suitable for cuttings on it.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

oh, thank you! If you don't get any, don't worry about it, but i appreciate you trying! What could i bring you?

I'm glad to know about the orostachys, too. I'll probably divide it when i have enough and use some in the tufa bowls. Always looking for cool, interesting succulents, esp if they are hardy.

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Hi Karen, If you have any extra of the Salvia "van houttei", I would also like to get a plant. That a cool looking salvia. Please let me know what I can bring you off of my trade list. Judy

• karen__w z7 NC
    12 years ago

I stuck some salvia cuttings last week. They look OK so far but will still be small at swap time, so don't expect much. Judy, I'd love to try your primrose, but really, remember that the 'van houttei' will be a just rooted cutting at that point so I don't need much in return. Tammy, same thing goes, but maybe I can find some other things to trade you. I'm interested in your Chrysanthemum Country Girl in particular, but also Rudbeckia triloba. I don't know if you're still looking for Salvia sinoalensis, but I stuck a few cuttings from that as well. Is your leucantha by any chnace 'All Purple'?

• Ralph Whisnant
    12 years ago

Karen, I have rooted several Salvias for you. I am also holding seed of several Salvia species for you if you would like them. I would be interested in cuttings of any of the Salvias that you have enough of to share.

• karen__w z7 NC
    12 years ago

Ralph, I've got some salvias rooted or rooting for you. I'm taking some more cuttings this weekend, a few abutilon and anything else that strikes me.

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

Karen, I've got your primrose potted up. A 'van houttei' cutting will be just fine. Thank you. Judy

• jbarutis
    12 years ago

John, my father lives in California now, but he still has his house in Raleigh and will be back in a year or two. If it's alright, hang on to the baby galangal & cardamom ginger, and if you've still got them in a year, he'll take you up on those! And yes, Pieter is the guy I was thinking of. I have pictures of Pieter and you and Brenda and Tammy & family from last year's swap. If I knew how to attach them here I would....
    Tammy, I'll take you up on some salvia leucantha. I love those fuzzy purple spikes! I will be bringing:
    Columbine 'McKana's Giant'
    Gomphrena 'All around purple'
    Watermelon coleus

Jeri

• tamelask
    12 years ago

Karen- i believe the ones i have rooted are the white/purple, based on the buds they have now. But i have a huge potted up purple/purple and can take some cuttings now. They may not be fully rooted by swap time, but should be on their way. I may be able to separate out a rooted portion from the mama. I'm happy to pot up as much country girl as you want. She's an ornery one and likes to go out of her bounds. She spawned a seedling that was blooming last year- a much deeper, almost magenta pink. Once that one gets big enough and starts spreading i can get slips from it, too- probably by fall. I'm loving the color on it. I also have a couple purple double mums from the garden last year that i can take cuttings of, if anyone wants. I would love some of the sinoalensis, Karen- thanks!! I haven't been down to bb's to get any more since i lost the last one. I'm also happy to bring as many rudbeckia trilobas as you want- it's a shortlived, happy reseeder and pops up all over (much like aqui canadensis).

Jeri- happy to set you aside a leucantha. I'd love to get any of the three things you have. I'm starting to notice where the creeping heliotrope is popping up and can start digging it soon- i'll get as many of those as i can for you. I can always get them to you later, too. Do you still want verbena on a stick (bonariensis)?

What i have so far potted up in addition to special trades is the following- holler if you want me to set anything aside for you: a bunch of japanese maple seedlings to bring- they are a cross between bloodgood and a laceleaf waterfall type and show a good bit of variance in leaf form, several 3 year old dogwoods, an old fashioned bridal wreath spirea, and i can dig more offsets if there's interest, a couple carolina jessamine, and i can dig more, no doubt- i always have seedlings popping up. 4 coral honeysuckle seedlings- started a pot full of seeds for deb/root, and i think every single one sprouted. (Deb, i have a nice pot set aside for you). Lots of aquilegia canadensis that had sprouted in my drive, a bunch of 'cherry bells' campanula punctata, 2 lygodium japonica (jap climbing fern), a couple Dame's rockets/hesperis, some rudbeckia trilobas, 'fantin latour' rose, some hosta ventricosa seedlings, a pot of mimulus ringens (a bog/pond plant) and some deep colored perilla. I plan to dig hellbore seedlings, campanula punctata/takesimanna cross (looks like cherry bells, mostly), some of the short, 24" lavendar/blue monarda i have, phlox divaricata, bubby bush/sweet shrub/carolina allspice, among whatever else i find in excess.

There are lots of things i can dig or take cuttings of, and i'll try to get a list together. If you've seen me mention it before i can probably get some for you. For instance, I have lots of lizard's tail, parrots's feather, mimulus ringens, dwarf cattails (they still are 3-4'), water iris and water mint as far as water plants go. Oh, and if anyone has an aquarium and wants plants i have a lot of anubis nana, java fern and bolbitus fern.

I have a really neat red flowered, small leaved, but highly variegated salvia- i think it's a greggi or cross. Not entirely sure if it's hardy b/c I brought them in for the winter and they are just now resrouting vigorously, so i don't know if the stems will be too fresh to take cuttings of now, but that's something i could try or definitely have ready for fall swaps. I know a lot of us are salvia freaks. I think i can get some cuttings of my deep purple/magenta flowered unnamed one this summer, too- again- the stems are so fresh now, i don't think they'd root well. I also can get the orange flowered fall salvia regla for the fall swap, if anyone's interested since it's sized up well. It isn't even out yet right now. I have a several kinds of abultilons, too- a variegated one w/ yellow blooms, a deep red one, one that looks a bit like marion stewart in form except for deep chocolate bracts and stems (and is smaller), and a plain yellow. They are starting to set buds, so i'd rather do cuttings for fall of those as well. I'm not doing a fair garden this year so i should have more time & energy for the fall swap.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

Dana, I looked again at those seedlings that i think may be winterberries and i'm just not so sure. I'm potting all i find for you, and will happily hand them over. But in case they aren't what i think they might be, do you want me to try to bring some fresh cuttings of the female winterberry i have? At least, i assume it's female since i get berries. Or, do they just cross pollinate? I know most hollies are male/female. There are no berries left on the tree, or i'd bring you some. I can collect some next fall, for sure.

• Hollyclyff
    12 years ago

Tammy - sure, I can try some cuttings. I also would really love to have some aquarium plants! I've got 5 freshwater tanks that could use sprucing up.

I'm not sure what I have to bring yet, but if there is anything you know I have that you want go ahead and let me know. I've got to get out soon and see what's out there.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

These are super easy care, low light aquarium plants too, Dana! I'll think about it and ck your lists another time. I'm tired tonight. :) Besides, i've felt more than blessed by our trades before. I'm happy the aqua plants found a home!

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

Tammy - Your list of plants is amazing. Anyhow, the Chinese Lanterns are up. So, I'm bringing you a pot of Chinese Lanterns & Apple Mint. Last year I got a pot of Jewel of Opar from you at the swap. Should they be coming up about right now? I've got a ton of seedling coming up and have no idea as to what they are - I can only guess that they are Jewel of Opar.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

It could be- i haven't seen mine yet but it shouldn't be long (and i haven't looked). If they have little round yellow green leaves they are probably jewels. The adults will come back from the fleshy root they produce. If you ever lose yours, you know where you can get more! :)

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

Hey Tammy, I think they are Jewl of Opar seedlings. I'm excited because the Jewel of Opar I got from you had a charteuse leave versus the regular green leave. Can I get one of your varigated salvia, if you have one to spare? Look on my list and see what else I can bring you.

• Ralph Whisnant
    12 years ago

Tammy, your variegated salvia sounds like 'Desert Blaze'. The plant that I have was labeled S. greggii, but I read somewhere else that it is probably a S.x jamensis (hybrid between greggii and microphylla).

• Ralph Whisnant
    12 years ago

Bob, the Heuchera 'Electric Lime' offshoots have taken. I am not sure yet about the Heucherella 'Solar Power'. Could I trade you one or the other for one of your Jack-in-the- Pulpits?

• karen__w z7 NC
    12 years ago

Tammy, a cutting of the all purple leucantha would be fine, even if it's not yet rooted. And the mums sound great, both for now and in the future. I've got a bunch of named and no-names at this point and enjoy them all equally.

My salvia cuttings seem to be doing fine so far. I've also got some Solanum seaforthianum seedlings that I started last fall, plus some seedlings from a fruit that a friend brought me from Hawaii that is probably strawberry guava. He was very proud of it, but if it's what I think it is, it can be a very invasive species in tropical climates. Since we're not in FL or HI here, though, I went ahead and germinated the seed, and now I have some to share if anyone is interested. Despite their invasive tendencies outside of their native Brazil, they're supposed to be quite tasty.

• brenda_near_eno
    12 years ago

Tammy, I'd love some spirea and honeysuckle. Let me know what you are looking for. I have not updated my list at all, but you know I have a little of everything (that has not died on me 3 times, heehee) .

I am bringing the Buddleja lindleyana for sure.

• Ralph Whisnant
    12 years ago

Brenda, are you still growing Tiarella/Foamflower seedlings? If you have any that are different from the norm, I have some new heat tolerant Heucheras and Fuchsias I can trade you for them.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

Judy, i won't have the variegated cuttings for this swap, but was mentioning it for next. I think it's too tender to root right now. Thanks, Ralph for an ID!

I'll see what mums i can get for now, Karen, and start a list for fall of any i can't do now. They aren't my favorite, shaped as balls in pots, but i like the more natural forms when grown in the ground. Strawberry guava is really, really good- in fact, it's the only guava i like. I have a big one, but wouldn't mind another for pollination. Not that it seems to need it, but maybe it'd set better if i did. They are beautiful plants that do well in cool greenhouses- for anyone that applies to.

Brenda, i'm happy to share The spirea and honeysuckle. I'll take a look at your list, in past years and let you know. Not too worried about it. BTW, the black cohosh is up. :)

• tamelask
    12 years ago

Brenda, i'm going to bring you some crossvine, too- right? We talked about that on Fb. I'd love another cohosh to add to the first. I'd also love to try the hardy fuchsias again. Not sure if the one will be coming back this year or not. My foam flowers have finally started seeding around- and some of yours have to be the parents. :)

I potted up some rose campion today if anyone wants dibs on that. The fantin latour wasn't rooted after all so i won't bring it unless someone really wants unrooted cuttings. Hoping it'll be ready for fall.

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

I don't know whether there is an interest in these or not, but I have several Japanese Blooming Plum Tree seedlings. Seedling are about 6" high.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

Brenda- i saw a couple other things on your list if you'd rather do them. The hardy white datura is really hardy? You don't have to restart from seed? That would be great! I also *hangs head in shame* need some more curly willow cuttings. They rooted just fine but i left them to languish and they eventually pooped out on me. I tend to be a wee bit busy in the fall- last yr more than most. I'd also like to try to get the impatiens omeiense going yet again. I keep trying places, hoping... love the foliage.

• trianglegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ralph - My jack-in-the pulpits have just started coming up this past week so I should be able to dig some. The Heucherella 'Solar Power' would be my first choice followed by the Heuchera 'Electric Lime'.

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

Judy - I need another flowering plum (also called flowering apricot or just Mume). I don't have a list organized but you can pick from anything I bring for the swap.

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

John - I'll bring you a couple of flowering plum seedlings.

• karen__w z7 NC
    12 years ago

I hate to have to say it, but I'm not going to be able to make it to the swap after all. I hadn't realized it was the day before Easter and I've got a prior obligation that I can't miss. I've got the salvias rooting for Tammy and Judy and will keep them over until the fall, though, and I'm really sorry that I'm going to miss seeing everyone.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

Bummed we won't get to see you Karen! I'll keep your stuff til fall, too. Til next time!

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

Karen - Sorry that you can't make it. I'll pot you up a new primula in the fall!

Contact Number - Since I'm coming from Winston-Salem, I would like to get a telephone contact number, just incase I get delayed in traffic or something unexpectly comes up. I'm really looking forward to seeing everybody and the swap!!

• suzannenc
    12 years ago

I have some Green and Gold for you, Ralph, but not many. The Plectranthus hybrid 'Mona Lavender' you gave me a year ago didn't survive, so I would love to have one of those again, or the next one on your trade list, another Plectranthus hybrid.

I would also love to have some verbena on a stick (bonariensis)? I only have one tiny plant that came up after the winter, and she needs friends..... I am also looking for dark hellebores, any color but white.

I'll be bringing the following to the general swap:

Lemon balm
    orange ditch lilies
    fushia monarda (bee balm)
    new england aster

check my list and I'll be happy to dig for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: my trade list

• Ralph Whisnant
    12 years ago

Suzanne, I can bring you Plect. 'Mona Lavender', Verbena on a Stick, Butterfly Weed (A. currasavica), blue Salvias ulignosa and S. 'Evolution' and a small Hollyhock 'Summer Carnival' for the Green and Gold, Nepeta, Ajuga and Rose Campion (if you still have them)

• brenda_near_eno
    12 years ago

Hi Tammy,I will dig some Impatiens ome, hardy datura, and a black cohosh for you. I cut down my willow, but I have others started from pieces of it, so I can bring you some in the fall. My hardy fuchsia just re-sprouted so maybe cuttings for you in fall if you like. Would love the honeysuckle, spirea, and crossvine.

I'll bring some Prunes mume seedlings for John and whomever else wants them. I have to compost most.

Ralph, I'll find a special tiarella for you for a hardy fuchsia. The one I have is the trailing form of 'Sanicomf'.

More later today, after I venture out to dig.

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

Brenda - is your Prunus mume growing in full sun? The seedling I got from you at a past swap is in half day sun and is growing very fast. My goal is to place some in half day and one in full sun. I need more winter bloomers.

Whoever brought the purple leaved crabapples last year - they're doing great and a surprise lily-of-the-valley popped up in one of the pots! I'm thrilled.

I'm bringing a mix of stuff. I take a lot of cuttings throughout the summer (using summer heat instead of a heat mat). I've kept the strongest and will bring the rest to the swap. This includes well rooted houseplant begonias. I don't have cultivar names for them, most are cane type and they do well as porch plants until frost.

• brenda_near_eno
    12 years ago

Hi John,
    I have seedlings everywhere. The ones I am bringing this time are bigger and branched. How many would you like? They grow best near the compost pile.

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

Oh, don't over dig on my account, I only need a few of them.

If they do well in my yard I may try to make homemade 'Umeboshi' a sort of pickled plum that you find in just about everything in Japan. The flavor is kinda harsh and it is not one of my favorite childhood memories growing up in Tokyo, but maybe as an adult (stop snickering Tamelask!) I will appreciate them more.

• Ralph Whisnant
    12 years ago

I have revised and added to my Trade List. Below is a link to the updated list.

Here is a link that might be useful: RalphW Trade Page for the Raleigh Swap

• brenda_near_eno
    12 years ago

Well, you are welcome to as many as you'd like. They are apricots, not plums. I will have plenty of the bitter, ripe fruit in a month or so, if you want that. I have green fruit now.

The tiarellas I am bringing for you, Ralph, are tiny, but they are likely interesting. I also potted a new heucherella cross - no idea what it will look like when leaves are bigger.

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

John - I'm bringing you a couple of Japanese Flowering Plum seedling (Prunus cerasifera) or at least that what I think they are. One of my neighbors provided me with them. She actually got plums off of her tree last year.

• brenda_near_eno
    12 years ago

Judy, Want to trade a plum for an apricot? I'd love to try your plum if you have one to spare.

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

There are both types of Prunus growing in Japan but they tend to mix it up when talking about them. So sometimes they'll translate their word into English and call the fruit a plum when they really mean apricot and visa versa. I'll take either or both, my yard is big.

• suzannenc
    12 years ago

A big THANK YOU to trianglejohn for planning the swap, and everyone who came this year ---- the food was fantastic, and the plants were even better!!!

• brenda_near_eno
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! I am thrilled with some of the new plants. I ate enough for two people, and it is always seeing everyone that is best of all. Thanks, John!

• trianglegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again John for taking the time to get the swap organized. Perfect combo - great people, great plants, and great food.

• lat4005
    12 years ago

Thank you so much John for organizing this! It was wonderful meeting everyone and I am so glad I came out! You are all an amazing group of people and I really had an awesome time. Thank you to each and every one of you for allowing me to "play."

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

John - Thanks for taking your time to organize the swap. This swap is definitely worth the 2 hour drive. There was an a great selection of plants, wonderful food and alway great gardening fellowship. Have a wonderful gardening season and hope to see everyone in the Fall.

• amulet
    12 years ago

I had a great time at the plant swap. It was so good to see everyone and trade food and plants. Thanks! Now I am inspired now for the next swap too! I have already started potting things up in the pots I've emptied from this swap.

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!!! The swap went well. I had Monday off so I had the time to plant everything I drug home. Now its time to propagate stuff for the fall swap. See ya in a few months.

• brenda_near_eno
    12 years ago

Wow, most everything in the ground so this rain watered them in. Except of course for a few that are added to my ever-expanding plant ghetto. We had the last of Ralph's lettuce tonight in a salad with cucumbers, feta, and sliced strawberries for dinner. Ralph, what did you want propogated - the fuchsias, plectranthus, or all 4? Can't remember.

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

Thank you again John for organizing the swap - we had a fantastic time - got so many great plants and have them potted up or in the ground. We are feeling alot more comfortable about being prepared for the swaps so plan to have a want/trade list started for the next one. I know already we will have crape myrtle babies and several kinds of hydrangeas along with sedums

Getting the plants is wonderful but meeting up again with all you wonderful folks and share stories and ideas is the best and of course we can't forget all the good food.

Thanks again - see y'all in the fall .....

Lynne

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?