Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Spring Swap in Raleigh

Posted by trianglegardener 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 11 at 10:41

I know it's early but just wanted to find out if there were plans for a swap this spring in the Raleigh area. Weather is lulling me into a false sense of hope for the garden this year.

I have Sinningia sellovi and and Daphniphyllum macropodum (false daphne) for trade. Need to update my trade list.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Spring Swap in Raleigh

I need seeds asap for the dwarf papaya

o

For sure there will be a swap. More than likely in April. All the details will be the same as recent years.

Topher - I have taken on some organizing duties for the Arboretum which is pinching my free time to set up a seed swap. What I have learned about dwarf papayas - there appears to be two major cultivars that are dwarf or at least half the size of normal papayas and that fruit while the plants are small. Both types come from tissue culture and both are handled by Agristarts out of Florida. They are pretty much wholesale only. I think anyone can buy from them but their minimum orders are entire flats which is a lot of papaya babies. I am trying to get one of my connections in the plant trade to add a tray onto their orders of other plants and so far I have failed. I have the darndest time getting papaya seedlings to over winter - they really need it dry and hot all year, any amount of cool weather will cause them to rot. I usually bring them inside but my house is kept cool and I have failed to keep my fall sown seedlings alive. I will try again next month.

o

Looking forward to the Spring Plant Swap, especially since we're having warmer weather - my type of winter weather!!!

o

Yesterday, I potted up corydalis, bell flower and a holly bush for the swap. As it get warmer, I'll have other plants to pot up as well. Looking forward to a great swap.

o

I recently updated my trade list in anticipation of our Spring swap. The following is a link to my trade page. In addition, I also have several new Salvias, a couple of heat tolerant Fuchsias and new heat tolerant Heucheras and Heucherellas with multicolored leaves. I'm looking forward to an early spring and our upcoming get-together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ralph's Trade List

o

Hi Ralph, I noticed on your Plant Wanted List that your looking for scented thymes. I have a scented lemon thyme. If you would like some of that let me know and I'll get it potted up for you. Also, at the fall swap you had mentioned a plant that you had previously given me that you no longer have -- outback sunset??? Let me know about that plant as well and I will get it potted up. Judy

o

Judy, I would love some Lemon Thyme. The other plant that I am looking for that I believe that you have is Green and Gold. You brought me some once before, but it did not survive. Thanks, Ralph.

o

Ralph, I'll definitely bring you the Lemon Thyme. Unfortunately, I don't have any green & gold (chrysogonum virginianum). I do have archangel (lamiastrum galeobdolon) if you would like pot of that. Just let me know. Judy

o

Ralph, I have green and gold. I'm interested in your Heucherella. Bob

o

Hi all. I have new house new garden- no plants to swap. Maybe some ws will be big enough? Can I purchase? Or should I purchase from garden center and pot up to swap? I don't want to miss the swap and meeting other Raleigh gardeners. :(
Linda

o

Linda - do not worry. We are a flexible bunch. There will be plenty of plants, no one leaves empty handed. If you feel guilty you can always bring food for the potluck.

o

Hi John, Have you set the date yet for the swap???

o

It will be Saturday the 23rd of April. 2 to 4pm. Same place as last year. When things die down here at work I will post an official announcement.

o

Maybe this will be the year we make it out there lol. Anyone else in this area (Shelby/Kings Mountain/Gastonia) going?

o

Bob, I am not sure of the availability of my Heucheras for the swap, but I noticed that you are looking for variegated Toad Lilies. Would you consider Tricyrtis "Lightning Strike" for some Green and Gold? I also have several Tiarellas with interesting leaves if you prefer.

o

I can't believe I'm going to have to miss the spring swap! I've never missed one in all the years we've been having them. But my cousin's daughter is getting married in Charlotte on the same day. Bummer. I'm sure going to miss everyone!

o

Ralph - The 'Lightning Strike' Toadlily would be great. I'll get some green and gold potted up this week. Bob

o

Dana- i'm bummed! We'll miss you, for sure!

Ralph, i'd be interested in setting up a trade for some begonia taiwanensis. I have some 'sweet caroline' sweet potato vine if you don't have that one. It's bronzey with a semi spade shaped leaf. I can also look to see if my green & gold is big enough to divide. It was huge, but died back a lot last summer. I'd love to get some seeds for trombone squash- for me, and a CSA i'm part of now. Let me know if you know of anything you'd like that i have.

I'll try to update my trade list sometime very soon.

I also have a bunch of what i'm fairly certain are salvias that i rooted this winter outside. I'm not sure which ones they are yet- i had a bunch of trimmings and stuck them and it looks like every single one rooted! As they get a bit bigger i should be able to tell. I always think i'll remember what things are to label later but then i forget... you'd think i'd learn.

I have some cuttings of a sweetly fragrant old rose called fantin latour. She's heavily doubled (called quartered), pale pink and does get blackspot, though it doesn't seem to affect the performance at all. Only blooms in spring, but what a bloom. It's a fairly tall rose- mine likes to stay about 6-7' and that's with trimming (i have a bamboo cage around it to keep it fairly upright, but the lady i got it from doesn't cage hers and it fountains- i just don't have room). It'd be about 8-10' canes if i didn't trim back. Blooms very well in 4-5 hours of sun- mine gets hot afternoon sun and still blooms her head off. Good for potpourri- retains a good rose scent.

o

I think I spoke too soon. Looks like I can come after all. Turns out I didn't pay much attention to the wedding invitation addressees at first because I never imagined that my 14 year old daughter wouldn't be invited to a family member's wedding, but she wasn't. They don't want anyone under 17 there. Therefore I'm not going. Longer story than this, but that's the basics. Note-I'm NOT staying home out of spite, although I admit I am a little peeved.

o

Well, we're glad you're coming, and hopefully bringing Sarah, too! :) They are the ones missing out.

o

Hi All,

I am looking for climbing hydrange and any helleborus except helleborus Foetidus (aka stink helleborus), which I have plenty of and plan to bring to the Fall Swap for sharing. Just let me know what your looking for from my trade list.

Woodsworm - I would like to get another Spotted Begonia (houseplant) from you if you've got one to spare. Let me know what your looking for.

I also have plenty of pink Japanese Morning Glory seeds if anyone wants any.

Dana, I'm glad that your coming, always good to see you & you bring the coolest plants.

Judy

o

Judy - I've got lots of helleborus orientalis to bring.

o

Dana, I would be happy to do a preswap for a pot of your helleborus - Just let me know what your looking for. Judy

o
Change of plans

Sorry to inform everyone but the park where we have been having the swap is now asking me to provide proof of insurance for the event. We had a similar problem with Lake Crabtree. It appears that city/town parks want their shelters to only be rented for company picnics or family events, anything that brings together strangers needs special permission and additional fees and proof of insurance.

There will be a swap even if I have to host it at my house.

more later

o

judy, i'll be bringing hellebores x (orientalis), too. Probably 1 year seedlings for preswaps and flats of new seedlings for the general swap, so you can get lots! I'll save you a pot of the largest 1 yrs i have. I'd love to get some chinese lanterns- i've tried to start them by seed many times with no luck. Or apple mint would work, too- i don't have any of it.

o

Tammy, The hellebores sound great. My chinese lanterns haven't come up yet. If they are up before the swap I can definitely bring you some. I'll go ahead and pot up the apple mint and keep my fingers crossed that the chinese lanterns are up. If so, i'll bring you that too.

o

Have:
Mexican Petunia
Bengal Canna
Artichoke Seedlings
Basjoo Banana

Want:
Black Bamboo
Pineapple Guava
Variegated Shade plants
Sweet Potato vine
Japanese Painted Fern

Here is a link that might be useful: Magick's Trade List

o

Tammy, I corrected my Trade List re the Begonias. They are taipeiensis and taiwaniana. Taipeiensis is the one with tight, glossy leaves. Taiwaniana is more of an angel wings type.

o

ah- ok, ralph- the taipeiensis, then, since i have a number of dragoon/angel wing ones already. Is the sweet caroline ok for trade? I'll try to remember to ck the green & gold tomorrow. Thanks!

Judy, that sounds great to me!!

o

Judy - purple phlox would be good for the hellebore. Do you have a color preference? I have one I know is white that I can dig - or the usual pink/purple/mauve shades - or surprise colors that haven't bloomed yet.

o

Dana - White would be great and I'll bring you some purple phlox.

o

Tammy, the sweet potato is great and some Green and Gold if you can spare it.

o

Ralph, sadly, i discovered this weekend that all my green & gold is gone. We left the leaves on the beds this winter and they must have smothered. We normally pull them off and grind them up, and respread them, making sure crowns are visible on anything evergreen. Just didn't get done this year. Some things did better and some obviously didn't appreciate it, but the voles loved it. At one point, for several years it was a large 2' patch but it had really gone downhill this past summer. :( As an alternate, I did find 1 single baby of a virginia bluebell and recalled you'd been interested in them in the past. I also have quite a few of cyclamen hederifolium babies popping up if that might interest you.

Judy- any color preference from me? I have some solid purple- though the babes are normally as least somewhat speckled, lots of pinks, varying degrees of freckles, and some solid whites. I don't seem to get as many babes from them- why, i'm not sure.

For the general trade (or if anyone asks ahead) I'll be bringing quite a few first or second year seedlings of japanese maple bloodgood x a red laceleaf waterfall type. They have slightly lacier leaves than bloodgood, good red color when they leaf out and so far seem to have a fairly upright habit, but it's anyone's guess since my oldest seedlings are only a few years old and not really that large to tell habit yet. Also can bring babes of winter berry (a deciduous type of native holly). I have a couple small dogwoods to bring, too. I should have iris cristata available and phlox divaritica.

By swap time i may have a bunch of mizuna seed- it's a beautifully ornamental edible that's in the cabbage family and tastes lightly cabbage-y with gorgeous very ripped green leaves. Makes a great border planting.

o

Tammy - I would love to have some winterberry babies. Do you have enough that I could get a few (to have a better chance of getting male and female plants)?

o

Hi Tammy - Color of helleborus doesn't matter to me. I would love to get one of your Japanese Maple seedling. Let me know what else I can bring you.

o

yeah, Dana, i have them popping up all over (we have a good sized tree). I'd first assumed they were cherries and finally got smart and realized what they are (since we don't have any cherries fruiting wild- duh!). I'll pot up all i can find and you can sort thru them.

Sure- i'll set aside at least one of the JM's for you, Judy. No worries about another trade. If i see something, i'll holler, but otherwise, it's all good. I'm really trying to pare down. Honestly! :)

o

John,
Is the swap for the 23rd the same place as the fall swap?

o

Topher - at this point the swap is a go in the normal place. Everything is as posted on the other thread.

I was contacted by the town asking a lot of questions about the swap. At first it sounded like it was an activity that they wanted to publicize and promote. After answering all their questions and giving them all the details they turn around and request additional paperwork to be filled out (all the questions were the same as the paperwork I had already submitted) listing the swap as a "Special Event". When I was dealing with this problem I notice the documents say that I have to pay additional fees and provide proof of insurance for the event. Now the parks people are saying that I only need to submit the documents and not pay the extra fee or have insurance but no where on the documents does it provide a spot for me to NOT agree to those things so I am afraid to sign them. I will be dealing with them tomorrow morning.

You think renting a facility at a park is simple. It isn't.

o

Does anyone have any white calla lillies up for trade? If so, please take a look at my trade list. I also have Oriental Limelight Artemisia up for swap. I'm bringing some of the O.L. Artemisia for the general swap too.

o

Tammy - Do you have any 5 flavor berry plants? We discussed it at the last swap and I would love to try to establish some!!!

o

Does anyone still have Salvia 'San Carlos Festival'? Mine was swallowed up by a nearby S, 'Hotlips' and I do not believe that it survived, I have several other Salvias to offer in return. I am also looking for a white flowered Salvia coccinea (I have red and pink) and Agastache 'Black Adder'.

o

Ralph, I can bring you some more 'San Carlos Festival'.

o

Thanks, Dana. What can I bring you?

o

Yes, Tam, i do have some of the schizandron. It's blooming like crazy this year and i was just thinking about you and wondering if you still wanted some earlier today! It suckers around, so plant it where you want it permanently. The taste is definitely odd, but i like it. (some don't- emphatically- so you should try it before you commit to growing them). It's reeeeally hard to describe. More salty & sour than anything, but with a nice meaty undertone and sweet twinge, plus a bitter kick. A huge bonus is it has caffeine like perk-you-up effects with out the caffeine side effects that i suffer that make it so that i can't have caffeine. 1 berry is all it takes for me. From some reading, apparently it relaxes you, too- though i'd be leery using it right before bed. I eat 1 berry fresh while they are available, and they dry in the fridge naturally. Once they are dry, i brew one in with my tea & eat it afterward whenever i feel i need a pick-me-up to get thru the afternoon.

Ralph, i have 'san carlos', too, if dana's falls thru for any reason. You still need to let me know what you want instead of the green & gold. post is a ways up now. :)

o

Tammy, I would not mind having two S. San Carlos Festival if you have one to spare, also. I may have some new salvias for you by the time the swap date gets here.

o

okey doke. I can root a few up. new salvias always sound good to me! :) are you interested in the schizandron, too? i know you like odd edibles... and i think i could get too offsets.

o

Tammy, I have never heard of Schizandron and when I googled it, the only reference that came up is a posting of yours in our Carolina Gardening Forum in 2008. If it has edible fruit, I am interested, but can you provide a link to a site describing this mystery plant?

o

Ralph, I sent you an e-mail through Garden Web -- did you get it? My log in has only been working intermittently, so I'm not sure if the e-mail went out OK.

o

Five Flavor Berry is also sold as Schisandra chinensis or Magnolia Vine. I've seen it and bought it at the Spring PAX sale (which is in a week or so). Mine died in the heat and dry of last summer. It's either related to Kiwi or Akebia, I don't remember which.

o

Sorry- i guess i misspelled it. That would be why you didn't find any info, Ralph. It's a pretty normal looking vine, and the flowers are tiny white bells and they smell good. If you grow it, it's for the fruit, which are red berries. The variety i have is self pollinating, where most of them need a male & female. It took like 6 years or more before it began to bloom well and set fruit, and last yr was the first really good year. It fruits in the shade- a big plus. John, it slightly resembles kiwi, though it isn't as thuggish.

o

They may have cultivars that are more for the flowers and less for the fruit. The plant I bought was huge and from one of the regular potted plant growers (don't remember who) and its tag said nothing about edible berries even though it showed the fruit on the vine.

o

Karen, I did not get your email. Please resend it.
Tammy, I see that we have Schisandra propinqua var sinensis and S. repanda at the J C Raulston Arboretum. I have no idea if either have (edible) fruit. But please save me one of yours.

o

okey doke. Done. John if you want one, next one that comes up i'll save for you. Not sure i can get 3 out right now. I want to keep in in a very restricted area and it likes to wander, so we have to go thru 'corrections' every so often. :) Actually, i tried to move it completely from that spot once i realized it suckered, but it came back from the roots and i gave up fighting it, except to keep it in bounds. The second place i put it has never done as well anyhow. Go figure. It gets a bit more sun and less rain (not by much- the second spot still only gets maybe 2 hours direct sun- it really does well in shade!). My variety would not be grown for flowers for sure, and i got it from one of the edible landscaping places in the PNW- not sure now which one. It was only this year the other day that we discovered the flowers smell great.

o

Tammy - I am so excited! Is there anything I can bring for you? I have Mexican Petunias, Bengal Cannas, Artichoke Seedlings & Basjoo Bananas.

o

ooh ooh! Artichoke seedlings! Happy Dance!! I may take them out to the CSA in Garner we are part of since they have much, much better sun than me. A couple folks will be there too. Great people. :) Thanks, Tam!!

o

I planted about 20 - half have sprouted nice & strong. I'm keeping 3 and bringing the rest.

o
RE: HAVE: Spring Swap in Raleigh-Curry leaf tree

Hi all! First of all, I want to say Thank You! to all of you for the plants that have brought my yard to life and for turning me into a gardener! I have lots of favorites from the last 2 swaps including Alocasia Portodora, a eucalyptus tree, pink yarrow and butterfly ginger. I just created a new bed along my screened porch for 3 red cascade rose bushes.
I'm not sure exactly what I'm bringing to our April 23rd swap, but these two plants for sure: Sambac jasmine (rooted plants this time) and Curry leaf tree. The curry leaf tree is Murraya koenigii. The leaves are very fragrant and are used in Indian cooking; these will be for special trade.
Also, for the gentleman from South Africa, yes, I will bring some "Curry" as you say. It will be some kind of marinated Indian chicken. I look forward to seeing you all again!
Jeri

o

Jeri - one of these days I'm going to make a photo tour of my yard showcasing all the treasures I have all because of these swaps! I remember who brought me what and the story behind each and every one and I've been swapping for ten years!!

I will be bringing your dad some Galangal and Cardamom ginger (they will be tiny, they're just starting to grow). Turmeric has failed so far but I should have some eventually - its hard to get to sprout and if you don't get it up and growing it never colors up and has none of the flavor or health benefits. I've watched the roots sit for over a year before they sprouted. If you can get them to sprout early in the spring you can get all the turmeric you'd ever want by late fall.

The crazy South African's name is Pieter. I don't think I've ever seen him post on Garden Web... I guess he's just a lurker (hint hint)

o

Ralph, I found an old e-mail address for you and will try that, hoping you haven't changed it in the past year and a half.

o

Karen, if he doesn't respond, i have the one he responded to fairly recently, i can send you off the boards. Are you coming to the swap? Hope so! It's always so nice to see you and visit. And your teeny tiny treasures are always welcome, too!

o

Thanks Tammy, I'll let you know if it doesn't go through. I'm hoping to make it to the swap this spring. I'll be just getting back from California so I'll have to be more organized than usual (which I admit really isn't all that organized for most people). I clearly need to try and bring some bigger plants this time, though!

o

My email has not changed. Just remember that it ends in earthlink.net

o

Don't worry about a trade Ralph. You brought me stuff in the fall.

o

oh, but i love your tiny cuties, Karen! They're like gems. I have a thing for little things. The variegated serissa i got from you has done well enough that i trimmed it back, stuck the cuttings in water and they all rooted. Trying to decide if i want to keep them for me or pot them up for the swap. And the plant that has lipstick/goldfish like flowers (geseneriad fam??) bloomed and was gorgeous midwinter in the greenhouse. I was worried about the funky little hens & chicks rolled leaf guy, because the outer leaves rotted away after it bloomed/formed a ball in the center, but then the bloom becomes more outer leaves. Very cool. I have all the names out there, just not in my head yet.

o

Tammy - or Karen - I'd LOVE some variegated serissa if anyone is bringing any!

o

I can bring one for you, Magic. You know it's a little thing, right? They make bonsai with them. They are supposed to set an edible fruit, though mine hasn't bloomed.

o
RE: HAVE: Spring Swap in Raleigh2

nevermind. I was getting serissa confused with something else as far as edible berries. They hardly ever get berries, but they do make great bonsai. Not sure if this one is hardy here- Karen? If so, they get to about 3'.

o

I grow Serissa foetida outside and have for years. Mine are just putting on new spring growth, so I could also stick some cuttings after this latest cold snap is over. It blooms but I've never seen anything ornamental in the way of berries.

Tammy, glad to hear the Gloxinia sylvatica has done well. And the little rolled/ball guy is probably one of the Orostachys. So I guess the teeny tiny thing is working out OK, though I would like to note that my tags are definitely bigger than they were that first year I swapped.

o

Karen, have you left Salvia 'Wendy's Wish' in the ground and if so, did it come back? I have several rooted cuttings that are starting to bloom in the greenhouse, but have not seen any signs of life from the one left in the ground.

o

Ralph, I haven't planted that one out in the ground. Both of the likely parents are pretty borderline where I am so I'll need to make a really good spot before giving it a try. If yours did winter over, I don't think I would expect to see any signs of it this early. The few times S. splendens 'Van Houttei' wintered for me, it came into growth pretty late in the spring.

o

I've always babied my serissas thinking they were marginal here but two got left out all winter on the most brutal side of the house and they have never looked happier.

o

Tammy - Yes, I know they are tiny - tiny variegated w/ tiny white flowers. I've always loved the bonsai of them - but I really love that they root so easily. I'll keep it inside and try cuttings outside next year.

o

Serissa is a pretty tough little shrub for zone 7. One of mine is under the bird feeder by the back door, in a spot where the deer and dog traffic have pretty much destroyed everything else, but it flourishes. If they get leggy I just whack them back a foot or so, and they bulk right back up again.

o

Cool! So good to know- i thought it was marginal so it went in the strawberry pot with the other marginals and has looked great. Isn't it funny how sometimes you baby something, then accidentally discover it's tough as nails? I'll keep at least one or 2 of the cuttings for me and try them outside. I like the fine foliage, and can see where it would be great being such a well behaved little shrub. Oh, and those 3 were written on the pots. Yes, orostachys was it, and gloxinia was right, too (and they are both marginal, correct?). I knew if i heard it i'd remember. I never got around to making tags so i have the itty bitty pots tucked away with the intention of getting tags done.

Are you perchance bringing van houtii? That's one of my favorite sages and for whatever reason i haven't ever been successful with it.

I have some cuttings of salvia leucantha if anyone wants those. They are trying to bloom in the greenhouse.

o

Actually, Orostachys is very hardy outside here. I grow mine in pots that I leave sitting on a stone wall and never give them any winter protection.

I'm going to try and stick cuttings in the greenhouse tomorrow (a good activity for a rainy day). Salvia 'van houttei' is in full bloom now, but I'll see if I can find anything suitable for cuttings on it.

o

oh, thank you! If you don't get any, don't worry about it, but i appreciate you trying! What could i bring you?

I'm glad to know about the orostachys, too. I'll probably divide it when i have enough and use some in the tufa bowls. Always looking for cool, interesting succulents, esp if they are hardy.

o

Hi Karen, If you have any extra of the Salvia "van houttei", I would also like to get a plant. That a cool looking salvia. Please let me know what I can bring you off of my trade list. Judy

o

I stuck some salvia cuttings last week. They look OK so far but will still be small at swap time, so don't expect much. Judy, I'd love to try your primrose, but really, remember that the 'van houttei' will be a just rooted cutting at that point so I don't need much in return. Tammy, same thing goes, but maybe I can find some other things to trade you. I'm interested in your Chrysanthemum Country Girl in particular, but also Rudbeckia triloba. I don't know if you're still looking for Salvia sinoalensis, but I stuck a few cuttings from that as well. Is your leucantha by any chnace 'All Purple'?

o

Karen, I have rooted several Salvias for you. I am also holding seed of several Salvia species for you if you would like them. I would be interested in cuttings of any of the Salvias that you have enough of to share.

o

Ralph, I've got some salvias rooted or rooting for you. I'm taking some more cuttings this weekend, a few abutilon and anything else that strikes me.

o

Karen, I've got your primrose potted up. A 'van houttei' cutting will be just fine. Thank you. Judy

o

John, my father lives in California now, but he still has his house in Raleigh and will be back in a year or two. If it's alright, hang on to the baby galangal & cardamom ginger, and if you've still got them in a year, he'll take you up on those! And yes, Pieter is the guy I was thinking of. I have pictures of Pieter and you and Brenda and Tammy & family from last year's swap. If I knew how to attach them here I would....
Tammy, I'll take you up on some salvia leucantha. I love those fuzzy purple spikes! I will be bringing:
Columbine 'McKana's Giant'
Gomphrena 'All around purple'
Watermelon coleus

Jeri

o

Karen- i believe the ones i have rooted are the white/purple, based on the buds they have now. But i have a huge potted up purple/purple and can take some cuttings now. They may not be fully rooted by swap time, but should be on their way. I may be able to separate out a rooted portion from the mama. I'm happy to pot up as much country girl as you want. She's an ornery one and likes to go out of her bounds. She spawned a seedling that was blooming last year- a much deeper, almost magenta pink. Once that one gets big enough and starts spreading i can get slips from it, too- probably by fall. I'm loving the color on it. I also have a couple purple double mums from the garden last year that i can take cuttings of, if anyone wants. I would love some of the sinoalensis, Karen- thanks!! I haven't been down to bb's to get any more since i lost the last one. I'm also happy to bring as many rudbeckia trilobas as you want- it's a shortlived, happy reseeder and pops up all over (much like aqui canadensis).

Jeri- happy to set you aside a leucantha. I'd love to get any of the three things you have. I'm starting to notice where the creeping heliotrope is popping up and can start digging it soon- i'll get as many of those as i can for you. I can always get them to you later, too. Do you still want verbena on a stick (bonariensis)?

What i have so far potted up in addition to special trades is the following- holler if you want me to set anything aside for you: a bunch of japanese maple seedlings to bring- they are a cross between bloodgood and a laceleaf waterfall type and show a good bit of variance in leaf form, several 3 year old dogwoods, an old fashioned bridal wreath spirea, and i can dig more offsets if there's interest, a couple carolina jessamine, and i can dig more, no doubt- i always have seedlings popping up. 4 coral honeysuckle seedlings- started a pot full of seeds for deb/root, and i think every single one sprouted. (Deb, i have a nice pot set aside for you). Lots of aquilegia canadensis that had sprouted in my drive, a bunch of 'cherry bells' campanula punctata, 2 lygodium japonica (jap climbing fern), a couple Dame's rockets/hesperis, some rudbeckia trilobas, 'fantin latour' rose, some hosta ventricosa seedlings, a pot of mimulus ringens (a bog/pond plant) and some deep colored perilla. I plan to dig hellbore seedlings, campanula punctata/takesimanna cross (looks like cherry bells, mostly), some of the short, 24" lavendar/blue monarda i have, phlox divaricata, bubby bush/sweet shrub/carolina allspice, among whatever else i find in excess.

There are lots of things i can dig or take cuttings of, and i'll try to get a list together. If you've seen me mention it before i can probably get some for you. For instance, I have lots of lizard's tail, parrots's feather, mimulus ringens, dwarf cattails (they still are 3-4'), water iris and water mint as far as water plants go. Oh, and if anyone has an aquarium and wants plants i have a lot of anubis nana, java fern and bolbitus fern.

I have a really neat red flowered, small leaved, but highly variegated salvia- i think it's a greggi or cross. Not entirely sure if it's hardy b/c I brought them in for the winter and they are just now resrouting vigorously, so i don't know if the stems will be too fresh to take cuttings of now, but that's something i could try or definitely have ready for fall swaps. I know a lot of us are salvia freaks. I think i can get some cuttings of my deep purple/magenta flowered unnamed one this summer, too- again- the stems are so fresh now, i don't think they'd root well. I also can get the orange flowered fall salvia regla for the fall swap, if anyone's interested since it's sized up well. It isn't even out yet right now. I have a several kinds of abultilons, too- a variegated one w/ yellow blooms, a deep red one, one that looks a bit like marion stewart in form except for deep chocolate bracts and stems (and is smaller), and a plain yellow. They are starting to set buds, so i'd rather do cuttings for fall of those as well. I'm not doing a fair garden this year so i should have more time & energy for the fall swap.

o

Dana, I looked again at those seedlings that i think may be winterberries and i'm just not so sure. I'm potting all i find for you, and will happily hand them over. But in case they aren't what i think they might be, do you want me to try to bring some fresh cuttings of the female winterberry i have? At least, i assume it's female since i get berries. Or, do they just cross pollinate? I know most hollies are male/female. There are no berries left on the tree, or i'd bring you some. I can collect some next fall, for sure.

o

Tammy - sure, I can try some cuttings. I also would really love to have some aquarium plants! I've got 5 freshwater tanks that could use sprucing up.

I'm not sure what I have to bring yet, but if there is anything you know I have that you want go ahead and let me know. I've got to get out soon and see what's out there.

o

These are super easy care, low light aquarium plants too, Dana! I'll think about it and ck your lists another time. I'm tired tonight. :) Besides, i've felt more than blessed by our trades before. I'm happy the aqua plants found a home!

o

Tammy - Your list of plants is amazing. Anyhow, the Chinese Lanterns are up. So, I'm bringing you a pot of Chinese Lanterns & Apple Mint. Last year I got a pot of Jewel of Opar from you at the swap. Should they be coming up about right now? I've got a ton of seedling coming up and have no idea as to what they are - I can only guess that they are Jewel of Opar.

o

It could be- i haven't seen mine yet but it shouldn't be long (and i haven't looked). If they have little round yellow green leaves they are probably jewels. The adults will come back from the fleshy root they produce. If you ever lose yours, you know where you can get more! :)

o

Hey Tammy, I think they are Jewl of Opar seedlings. I'm excited because the Jewel of Opar I got from you had a charteuse leave versus the regular green leave. Can I get one of your varigated salvia, if you have one to spare? Look on my list and see what else I can bring you.

o

Tammy, your variegated salvia sounds like 'Desert Blaze'. The plant that I have was labeled S. greggii, but I read somewhere else that it is probably a S.x jamensis (hybrid between greggii and microphylla).

o

Bob, the Heuchera 'Electric Lime' offshoots have taken. I am not sure yet about the Heucherella 'Solar Power'. Could I trade you one or the other for one of your Jack-in-the- Pulpits?

o

Tammy, a cutting of the all purple leucantha would be fine, even if it's not yet rooted. And the mums sound great, both for now and in the future. I've got a bunch of named and no-names at this point and enjoy them all equally.

My salvia cuttings seem to be doing fine so far. I've also got some Solanum seaforthianum seedlings that I started last fall, plus some seedlings from a fruit that a friend brought me from Hawaii that is probably strawberry guava. He was very proud of it, but if it's what I think it is, it can be a very invasive species in tropical climates. Since we're not in FL or HI here, though, I went ahead and germinated the seed, and now I have some to share if anyone is interested. Despite their invasive tendencies outside of their native Brazil, they're supposed to be quite tasty.

o

Tammy, I'd love some spirea and honeysuckle. Let me know what you are looking for. I have not updated my list at all, but you know I have a little of everything (that has not died on me 3 times, heehee) .

I am bringing the Buddleja lindleyana for sure.

o

Brenda, are you still growing Tiarella/Foamflower seedlings? If you have any that are different from the norm, I have some new heat tolerant Heucheras and Fuchsias I can trade you for them.

o

Judy, i won't have the variegated cuttings for this swap, but was mentioning it for next. I think it's too tender to root right now. Thanks, Ralph for an ID!

I'll see what mums i can get for now, Karen, and start a list for fall of any i can't do now. They aren't my favorite, shaped as balls in pots, but i like the more natural forms when grown in the ground. Strawberry guava is really, really good- in fact, it's the only guava i like. I have a big one, but wouldn't mind another for pollination. Not that it seems to need it, but maybe it'd set better if i did. They are beautiful plants that do well in cool greenhouses- for anyone that applies to.

Brenda, i'm happy to share The spirea and honeysuckle. I'll take a look at your list, in past years and let you know. Not too worried about it. BTW, the black cohosh is up. :)

o

Brenda, i'm going to bring you some crossvine, too- right? We talked about that on Fb. I'd love another cohosh to add to the first. I'd also love to try the hardy fuchsias again. Not sure if the one will be coming back this year or not. My foam flowers have finally started seeding around- and some of yours have to be the parents. :)

I potted up some rose campion today if anyone wants dibs on that. The fantin latour wasn't rooted after all so i won't bring it unless someone really wants unrooted cuttings. Hoping it'll be ready for fall.

o

I don't know whether there is an interest in these or not, but I have several Japanese Blooming Plum Tree seedlings. Seedling are about 6" high.

o

Brenda- i saw a couple other things on your list if you'd rather do them. The hardy white datura is really hardy? You don't have to restart from seed? That would be great! I also *hangs head in shame* need some more curly willow cuttings. They rooted just fine but i left them to languish and they eventually pooped out on me. I tend to be a wee bit busy in the fall- last yr more than most. I'd also like to try to get the impatiens omeiense going yet again. I keep trying places, hoping... love the foliage.

o

Ralph - My jack-in-the pulpits have just started coming up this past week so I should be able to dig some. The Heucherella 'Solar Power' would be my first choice followed by the Heuchera 'Electric Lime'.

o

Judy - I need another flowering plum (also called flowering apricot or just Mume). I don't have a list organized but you can pick from anything I bring for the swap.

o

John - I'll bring you a couple of flowering plum seedlings.

o

I hate to have to say it, but I'm not going to be able to make it to the swap after all. I hadn't realized it was the day before Easter and I've got a prior obligation that I can't miss. I've got the salvias rooting for Tammy and Judy and will keep them over until the fall, though, and I'm really sorry that I'm going to miss seeing everyone.

o

Bummed we won't get to see you Karen! I'll keep your stuff til fall, too. Til next time!

o

Karen - Sorry that you can't make it. I'll pot you up a new primula in the fall!

Contact Number - Since I'm coming from Winston-Salem, I would like to get a telephone contact number, just incase I get delayed in traffic or something unexpectly comes up. I'm really looking forward to seeing everybody and the swap!!

o

I have some Green and Gold for you, Ralph, but not many. The Plectranthus hybrid 'Mona Lavender' you gave me a year ago didn't survive, so I would love to have one of those again, or the next one on your trade list, another Plectranthus hybrid.

I would also love to have some verbena on a stick (bonariensis)? I only have one tiny plant that came up after the winter, and she needs friends..... I am also looking for dark hellebores, any color but white.

I'll be bringing the following to the general swap:

Lemon balm
orange ditch lilies
fushia monarda (bee balm)
new england aster

check my list and I'll be happy to dig for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: my trade list

o

Suzanne, I can bring you Plect. 'Mona Lavender', Verbena on a Stick, Butterfly Weed (A. currasavica), blue Salvias ulignosa and S. 'Evolution' and a small Hollyhock 'Summer Carnival' for the Green and Gold, Nepeta, Ajuga and Rose Campion (if you still have them)

o

Hi Tammy,I will dig some Impatiens ome, hardy datura, and a black cohosh for you. I cut down my willow, but I have others started from pieces of it, so I can bring you some in the fall. My hardy fuchsia just re-sprouted so maybe cuttings for you in fall if you like. Would love the honeysuckle, spirea, and crossvine.

I'll bring some Prunes mume seedlings for John and whomever else wants them. I have to compost most.

Ralph, I'll find a special tiarella for you for a hardy fuchsia. The one I have is the trailing form of 'Sanicomf'.

More later today, after I venture out to dig.

o

Brenda - is your Prunus mume growing in full sun? The seedling I got from you at a past swap is in half day sun and is growing very fast. My goal is to place some in half day and one in full sun. I need more winter bloomers.

Whoever brought the purple leaved crabapples last year - they're doing great and a surprise lily-of-the-valley popped up in one of the pots! I'm thrilled.

I'm bringing a mix of stuff. I take a lot of cuttings throughout the summer (using summer heat instead of a heat mat). I've kept the strongest and will bring the rest to the swap. This includes well rooted houseplant begonias. I don't have cultivar names for them, most are cane type and they do well as porch plants until frost.

o

Hi John,
I have seedlings everywhere. The ones I am bringing this time are bigger and branched. How many would you like? They grow best near the compost pile.

o

Oh, don't over dig on my account, I only need a few of them.

If they do well in my yard I may try to make homemade 'Umeboshi' a sort of pickled plum that you find in just about everything in Japan. The flavor is kinda harsh and it is not one of my favorite childhood memories growing up in Tokyo, but maybe as an adult (stop snickering Tamelask!) I will appreciate them more.

o

I have revised and added to my Trade List. Below is a link to the updated list.

Here is a link that might be useful: RalphW Trade Page for the Raleigh Swap

o

Well, you are welcome to as many as you'd like. They are apricots, not plums. I will have plenty of the bitter, ripe fruit in a month or so, if you want that. I have green fruit now.

The tiarellas I am bringing for you, Ralph, are tiny, but they are likely interesting. I also potted a new heucherella cross - no idea what it will look like when leaves are bigger.

o

John - I'm bringing you a couple of Japanese Flowering Plum seedling (Prunus cerasifera) or at least that what I think they are. One of my neighbors provided me with them. She actually got plums off of her tree last year.

o

Judy, Want to trade a plum for an apricot? I'd love to try your plum if you have one to spare.

o

There are both types of Prunus growing in Japan but they tend to mix it up when talking about them. So sometimes they'll translate their word into English and call the fruit a plum when they really mean apricot and visa versa. I'll take either or both, my yard is big.

o

A big THANK YOU to trianglejohn for planning the swap, and everyone who came this year ---- the food was fantastic, and the plants were even better!!!

o

Thanks everyone! I am thrilled with some of the new plants. I ate enough for two people, and it is always seeing everyone that is best of all. Thanks, John!

o

Thanks again John for taking the time to get the swap organized. Perfect combo - great people, great plants, and great food.

o

Thank you so much John for organizing this! It was wonderful meeting everyone and I am so glad I came out! You are all an amazing group of people and I really had an awesome time. Thank you to each and every one of you for allowing me to "play."

o

John - Thanks for taking your time to organize the swap. This swap is definitely worth the 2 hour drive. There was an a great selection of plants, wonderful food and alway great gardening fellowship. Have a wonderful gardening season and hope to see everyone in the Fall.

o

I had a great time at the plant swap. It was so good to see everyone and trade food and plants. Thanks! Now I am inspired now for the next swap too! I have already started potting things up in the pots I've emptied from this swap.

o

Thanks everyone!!! The swap went well. I had Monday off so I had the time to plant everything I drug home. Now its time to propagate stuff for the fall swap. See ya in a few months.

o

Wow, most everything in the ground so this rain watered them in. Except of course for a few that are added to my ever-expanding plant ghetto. We had the last of Ralph's lettuce tonight in a salad with cucumbers, feta, and sliced strawberries for dinner. Ralph, what did you want propogated - the fuchsias, plectranthus, or all 4? Can't remember.

o

Thank you again John for organizing the swap - we had a fantastic time - got so many great plants and have them potted up or in the ground. We are feeling alot more comfortable about being prepared for the swaps so plan to have a want/trade list started for the next one. I know already we will have crape myrtle babies and several kinds of hydrangeas along with sedums

Getting the plants is wonderful but meeting up again with all you wonderful folks and share stories and ideas is the best and of course we can't forget all the good food.

Thanks again - see y'all in the fall .....

Lynne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here