Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdbheartsease

WANTED: Raleigh Spring Plant Swap 2010

Judy Brown
14 years ago

John,

Just checking to see if you guys have set a date for the Raleigh Spring Plant Swap. I got some really great plants there last year. So, I wanted to definitely put it on my calendar for this year. Judy

Comments (92)

• Hollyclyff
    13 years ago

Tammy, thanks! I'd love the dicliptera. I think I'll stick with the spineless prickly pear, but thanks for the offer. Let me know what I can bring you.

• rootdiggernc
    13 years ago

Dana, I have the spineless prickly pear if ya need more.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tammy. It is campanulas that I have. Lots of them coming up that I need to get rid of. Are you sure you don't want some? I'll bring you a some monkshood seedlings and I'll also see what else I can find. What about gooseneck or saxifraga stolonifera (strawberry geranium) - do you need some of those? Judy

• trianglegardener
    13 years ago

RJ I'm interested in your japanese roof iris, egyptian walking onions, and edgeworthia.

Please check out my trade list and let me know if you want anything.

Thanks,

Bob

• tamelask
    13 years ago

judy, bite your tongue! No, i do NOT want any gooseneck loosetrife. I have a big bunch of it i desperately need to get rid of. If you do bring some to the swap be sure you label it invasive so a newb doesn't get taken unaware! i love the way it looks, but... Sure, i'll try a campanula or 2 so long as you won't be mad if they die. only ones i can grow are takesimana and punctata and those 2 go absolutely crazy. But i would love the monkshood. I have plenty of the strawberry begonia, but thanks. It makes such a nice ground cover for shady areas.

Dana, don't worry about a trade. I'm so overwhelmed with work right now i'll be lucky to get what i've asked for in the ground and i know we're probably lopsided from before. You're always generous. I don't blame you for sticking with the spineless- the spiney stuff is nasty. I keep mine contained to a pot.

Deb, if you plan to bring jewelweed, transplant it when really small and give it time to recover. It wilts nearly instantly when you transplant it, as i found out the hard way. Some will recover, some won't. It's easiest from direct scattered seed, as ma nature shows us.

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

I've missed the last couple of swaps but it looks like the dates are working out for me to come this year. I still don't know what I'll be bringing, but will try to get some cuttings and things going this weekend so if anybody has a particular want that I might have, let me know. I've had a lot in the greenhouse this winter so there should be plenty of good cutting material available. I've even got a brug in bloom!

Judy, I'm interested in your monkshood.

Bob, from your trade list I'd love to trade for Heuchera richardsonii and/or Tiarella cordifolia.

RJ, I'm looking to replace my blue fescue and am also interested in variegated polemonium and celandine poppy.

Topher, as always you have lots of stuff I'd like, in particular colocasia Big Dipper and variegated heliconia. Are you looking for zone 7 hardy things or would you be interested in tropical plants like Costus barbatus (C. comosus)?

Lynne, what agastaches are you bringing?

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Karen, i'd love to try that little blue sage again if you're coming. What could i bring you? Excited you can come- you always bring the sweetest little jewels! :)

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok - Tammy -LOL - I will not bring you any gooseneck. Good Idea - I will label it invasive, because it is or can be. I've be sharing mine for years and keep it contained. However, I'm bringing you some monkshood that I've winter sowed from seed.

Karen - Your wish is granted. Monkshood for you too.

• trianglegardener
    13 years ago

Karen - I'll have the H. richardsonii and Tiarella for you. I'm looking for shade tolerant plants, if you have any.

Bob

• Hollyclyff
    13 years ago

Deborah, the more the merrier on the spineless prickly pear, just let me know what I can bring you.

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

Dana - Though considered spineless they do have some tiny microscopic spines that can still irritate the skin. Just a warning you that you'll still need gloves to work around them. I have some rooting that may or may not be ready by swap time.

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

Bob, do you have/need any epimedium or Iris cristata? Helleborus foetidus or H. x orientalis? I might also be able to dig a bit of variegated Disporum if it's not too deep in the stone wall, and I've got a little Scutellaria species out there in a shady spot, I think it's a native but I'll have to check the tag to see which one.

• ratgirl
    13 years ago

Karen -- Was it you who brought Salvia 'Christine Yeo' one year? I got one and it did wonderfully but then I lost it the following year. I sure would like to have another.
    Carla

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karen - I would love to get some epimedium from you if you have extra to share. I'm bringing you some monkshood. Judy

• trianglegardener
    13 years ago

Karen - The Disporum (if you can pry some out) and Epimedium would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

Bob, I'll put you down for epimedium and will pry on the disporum. I think I should be able to get some out.

Judy, I can bring you some epimedium, too.

Tammy, my patch of S. sinaloensis didn't survive my digging it up last time. I think it was too early in the spring and I ended up eradicating it with my digging for the swap. I've got a new plant waiting to go into the ground and will try to get a cutting started for you, but I need to be careful with that one until I can get it re-established.

Carla, I have brought 'Christine Yeo' in the past but don't have enough growth right now to make cuttings on. I'll keep you in mind in case I do them for the fall.

I'm not sure which salvias I'll have this spring, but there should be a few. For anyone who has a greenhouse, S. fulgens and S. karwinskii have bloomed all winter and I would be glad to make cuttings of those.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Karen W - I am bringing Agastache Apricot Sprite and then I sowed some seed from Thompson Morgan called fragrant mix - not sure what colors - it will be a surprise :) ......

Lynne

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Oh, no worries, Karen! I was being greedy. Please, get your plant established. I can alwasy grab one down at bb if i get down. I got a 'christine yeo', probably the same year, and used it in 2 fair gardens but then lost it the next winter and would love to get some of it if you get it going for fall. The salvia karwinskii sounds fun! My s. leucantha bloomed most of the winter in the cool greenhouse. Let me know what i can get you. Oh, i discovered today i have a bunch of that succulent dianthus japonica in the drive. The mother plant seems to be gone, but it did bloom for a looong time last year. So i'll bring some of those (not that you need them!).

i'll be bringing dame's rocket and 2 'flying dragon' trifoliate orange seedlings. Also noticed a clump of horehound. I'm sure if work ever lets me get into the garden, i'll find lots more goodies to bring.

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

Tammy, I'll start a cutting from karwinskii for you. And don't count me out on the D. japonica, I haven't seen mine back yet.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Oh, well, i'll bring you some, then! It seems only appropriate! :)

• Ralph Whisnant
    13 years ago

I have posted on my Trade Page a partial list of plants I have for trade at the Raleigh swap. I hope to complete the list within the next few days.

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

I started some cuttings today -- will see what takes and what doesn't.

Ralph, I have a few things set aside for you.

• ratgirl
    13 years ago

Ralph, I would love one of the pineapple guava. Also interested in Phyllis Fancy salvia. Not sure what I have to tempt you with. Anything in particular you're looking for? I may have some interesting tomatoes but so far, I'm disappointed in the vigor of all my seedlings. We'll see. Oh, btw ... do you still have that coleus 'Big Red'? It is the only thing I've ever put beside Salvia 'Hot Lips' that was flattering!
    Carla

• ratgirl
    13 years ago

This is a long shot but I'll toss it out there anyway. If anyone has a seed, cutting or start of Salvia mexicana 'Limelight', I would go to great lengths to find something you're interested in. That sounded sort of desperate, didn't it?
    Carla

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

Carla, I'll look and see if I've got Limelight out there. If I do, I'll stick a cutting this afternoon.

• ratgirl
    13 years ago

Bless you, Karen!

• hosta200
    13 years ago

Hollyclyff, I did find a pot of the spineless opuntia alreay rooted that I'll bring in addition to cuttings.
    Do you still have any Crocosmia "Star of the East"?

• Ralph Whisnant
    13 years ago

Carla, I lost most of my Coleus over the winter including all of the 'Big Red' after growing it for 3 years. I am just starting cuttings of S. 'Phyllis Fancy', so I do not know if they will be ready by swap time or not. What varieties of tomatoes and other veggies are you growing?

• Hollyclyff
    13 years ago

I do still have 'Star of the East' I'll pot some up for you.

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

Ralph, coleus did fine over the winter in my greenhouse, so I'm propagating from both mine and from the ones you gave me and should be able to more than replace what you lost. Let me know if there's anything else that didn't winter over for you, and if there are particular plectranthus you're looking for. And although our swap balance is way, way out of whack already, could I get a start of Impatiens omeiana?

• ratgirl
    13 years ago

Ralph, I was so excited about trying some new varieties of toms this year but my seedlings are going nowhere. I have one 'Carbon' that is holding its own but Black Pear, Orange Russian, Sungold and Riesentraube don't even have true leaves. I'll never use coir again. I've turned to Craig LeHoullier at the farmer's market to get up to speed with some healthy plants. I'm also starting a giant tomatillo called Cisineros. If I get anything going, I'll share with you. It's the type of plant that has Ralph written all over it. ;-)
    Carla

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

I have a yard full of "those" plants!

• Ralph Whisnant
    13 years ago

Karen, I am going to try digging some var. Soloman's Seal tomorrow. The Impatiens omeiana is growing in the same area and I will dig some for you then. Re Plectranthus, I lost my Cuban Oregano and the variety that has really thick, large green and white leaves. I also lost the Tradescantia spathacea (Moses-in-a-Basket). To my surprise all of my banana plants with the var. green and brown leaves (Queen of Siam?) seem to have rotted in the crawl space. Last year with the same treatment they came through ok. The good news is that out of 20 or so of rooted cuttings of Hibiscus acetacello 'Haight Asbury', two survived and one is growing so fast that I should be able to get a few cuttings in time for the swap.

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

Ralph, I'll bring you a variety of plectranthus and I might be able to replace your banana. Another friend gave me one a few years ago that she got from PDN and it may have a pup. I don't have the Tradescantia though.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Ralph, i can bring you some of the tradescantia, and some of the smaller leaved cuban oregano. I still have that gold coin plect i got after the fair for you. I also have a funky- leaved plect (like mini oak leaves) that has a fairly strong resinous odor i could bring. Never had an ID- i got it at BB's one yr. really nice flowers in fall. All of the large leaf cuban oregano died for me, too. It was in the same pot as the extra red/brown banana i had, which also died. not sure what happened to them. I do have another that did fine and if it sets offsets, i'll save you one.

• MagickMare
    13 years ago

I'm looking for Japanese Painted Ferns, variegated Hostas & other shade loving plants - check my trade pages for plants I have to trade.

• tophersmith
    13 years ago

Karen,

Yes Zone 7 hardy please

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

Topher, maybe I'll have something you'd like in exchange for variegated heliconia, since that's what I'm most interested in. Do you like salvias? I can start cuttings from greggiis 'Wild Thing' and/or 'Takao', and I've already stuck some Salvia disjuncta. I've also got a really nice Salvia from Montrose that was labeled 'late blooming giant' that I think is probably Costa Rican Blue, but I don't really know if it would be zone 7 hardy. I've also got a small rooted cutting of Abutilon 'Canary Bird' (zone 7b) that I could bring you. Or on a less tropical looking note, I've got a small pot of Thalictrum kiusianum, which is a tiny meadow rue for shade, and a second year seedling of Clematis stans x heracleifolia (parent plant from PDN). Let me know if anything sounds interesting. I wish I had some of those bananas on your wish list (esp AeAe), but most of what I have is pretty basic there.

• ksm27617
    13 years ago

New to plant swapping, pardon any faux pas. Don't have many flowers to swap (yet... am hoping this may change with this year's plant swap). I've quite a number of seeds left from my heirloom garden. If anyone is looking for vegetables, I still have Tigger melons, Pink Brandywine tomatoes, Thai white ribbed eggplant, and Cocozella di Napoli zucchini. I might still be able to get them sprouting by the 8th.

• Hollyclyff
    13 years ago

Hey does anyone have any cucumber 'Cool Breeze' seeds? It's my favorite, but when I got around to ordering seeds this year everyone was sold out.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, I have over 50 quilting magazine. Are these of any interest to someone? If so, I'll bring them to the swap. Also, I have 2 New Lenox Poppies on Blue Coffee cups. If your interesed in these, let me know and I'll bring to the swap. Thanks, Judy

• safariofthemind
    13 years ago

Hi guys and gals,

Back from Europe after a couple of exciting unscheduled changes due to the ash from the Icelandic volcano which totally disrupted EU air traffic.

Glad to see the interest in the plants. In order to not clog up this thread I am going to start a separate thread so we can do our little planning prior to the swap.

There are too many plants available to just load them up in my SUV and bring to the swap. I believe it is not practical for me to bring more than 25 plants to the swap because of my space and time constraints as I am getting ready to go back to Panama for work again and I have a lot of planting to do before leaving.

So it's probably best to agree on what we all want online and then just bring what folks want. If there is more interest, we can always organize other swaps later as there is more time available in our schedules and, after I meet you all at the swap and talk about what each of us has in their garden and what we are looking for.

Here's to a fun swap!

RJ

• tophersmith
    13 years ago

Well I split up the Varigated Heliconia and it's not too happy. I am hopping that it will recover. I will being it along with my crocosmia, 2 patio peach tree seedlings and a grab bag of other plants. Karen I would like to try the Abutilon 'Canary Bird' please

• Hollyclyff
    13 years ago

Not a plant or even a trade, but does anyone want some tropical fish babies? I've got 5 or 6 sunset platies and 3 fancy guppies that need new homes. They're about a month to a month and half old and big enough to live with most community type fish without being eaten. Healthy fishies, never had any disease in that tank.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Ok- i'll post this to both threads since we got a little spread wide here. :)
    The first line is what i'm bringing, second what you're bringing. A (?) after your name/plant means i don't know if you want the item, or if you can bring it- please let me know, thanks.

brenda- cyclamen hederifolia, asclepias tuberosum seedling(?)
    snakeroot, curly willow

ralph- gold coin plectranthus, cuban oregano, any other plects(?), moses in a boat
    impatiens zombensis(?)

Dana- dicliptera subulata
    epimedium 'merlin'(?)

Karen- Dianthus japonica
    S. karwinskii

RJ- troutlilies, rose epimedium
    sprekelia, fern (later), calanthe orchid

Judy- 2 divvy's of lipstick
    hardy begonia(?), monkshood seedling (or corydalis, is fine, too)

Elsie (off threads)- pot of jap maples
    midnight salvia

bringing to the general swap so far- iris cristata, dianthus japonica, japanese maple seedlings, small dogwoods, 1 divvy of lipstick salvia, a forsythia, 2 seedling contorted poncirus 'flying dragon', 2 dame's rocket (purple or white), rudbeckia triloba, hellebore orientalis seedlings, horehound, lathyrus latifolia (perennial sweet pea), tricostemma 'blue curls' and anise agastache.

I will be pretty busy this week, but some possibilities that i could still dig: woodland phlox, a mini bearded iris that is mustardy yellow with a bright blue beard, sedums, carolina jessamine seedlings, butterfly pea, and lots more stuff on my trade page
    I also have a ton of tricostemma and aquilegia canadensis babies i could pull up the morn of- they are where i don't want them in the drive. The columbine don't normally transplant well, but they shouldn't be too hard coming from the gravel and if i know someone wants them...

Looking for autumn fern, ostrich fern, and especially 'dehlia's purple' that i brought divisions of to a few people a few yrs back. I lost my mother plant to some disease. It's an old fashioned rose and the chances of finding it elsewhere are nil since my mentor never was able to ID it out, so she named it. I don't know if i could get it from her again- the homestead where it is is ways off and she's in poor health.
    Also, i seem to have lost my hardy begonias. I think i gave away too many one year and the drough finished off the rest. Would love to get white or pink, but esp the white.

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

Tammy, I'll look out in my pots and see if I have your Dehlia's Purple in one. I know you've given me some rose cuttings in the past.

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

Tammy, I did get Dehlia's Purple from you, and it looks like it may be divisible. I recall you saying that it didn't take well from cuttings, so if I get any time at all before the swap I'll try to divide it and not kill it. BTW, I noticed that both that and Veilchenblau that I got from you at swaps past have one bud on them, a first for both.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Oh, if it's that small still please don't divvy it yet. I'm just glad to know someone i see on a regular basis has it. Pretty sure that nancedar got one too. Thank you so much, though!! Wait for a yr or 2 til it gets going well and then it'll start to sucker out- those are what i got my div's from. I don't want you to risk killing it, please. It doesn't root for anything. It's got to be from some rugosa in the breeding. I did get a small bit before it completely petered out but i'm really worried it's diseased too. I'd rather start from what i know to be a good stock. I'll keep the other one potted up with room to grow and see how it goes. It's got a couple buds on it- a good sign.

Once veilchenblau gets going- watch out! It's like a freight train coming through. Mine will be in high bloom just in time for the swap so be sure to drive past my place on the way to or from the swap (come from the vandora springs rd side and you pass my place). It's right out along the rd and hard to miss, esp on the way to the park. :)

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

Ok, I'll leave it alone until it starts to sucker, but now that I know it's 'endangered' I'll be sure and keep it in the fenced area so the deer can't get to it. I'll make sure and drive by on the way to the swap -- I love your roses. I also have Pink Pillar that I started from a cutting you gave me and the color on that one is amazing too.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Oh! Lucky you- that one's tricky to get going from cuttings, according to the lady i got mine from. It's absolutely stunning- in color and fragrance. And it just keeps going in flushes all summer long.

I don't know that it's endangered so much as it was never ID'd (and she has access to some of the smartest rose people & books). She told me the story once- a friend named dehlia was instrumental in finding/discovering it wherever they got it- probably a graveyard or homestead, hence the name. I'll have to ask her again & try to write it down. It closely resembles one that is said to be the 'most fragrant rose' (can't think of the name off hand) and i have that one, too, but in habit they couldn't be more different- the fragrant one is finicky, has barely survived these years and is still quite small whereas, dehlia is very easy going and carefree (well, til that disease, which also got my mermaid). She gets lots bigger, too. But the roses' appearance and fragrance are very similar.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?