Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicia7b

WANTED: Special Trades for Spring 2008 Swap

alicia7b
16 years ago

Time to begin special trades. Let the trading begin!

Comments (150)

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Brenda, I'd love some of your bloodroot. What can I get you?

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda I want some of your bloodroot too. I can get you heucharella and columbine.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Brenda- no worries about the sourwood. We can just do it another swap- i'm in no rush. 1 less thing for me to try to keep alive & ultimately kill this summer, right?

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Tammy - Were you the one who was looking for turtles? I have a red eared slider & a yellow eared slider that have out grown their aquarium and hubby is not ready to put in the pond I've been dreaming of. So I thought I'd see if you, or anyone, might be interested in these two.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

No, wasn't me- i have 3 boxers. We've owned red eared before and i don't particularly wanna go there again at this point. If you can't find anyone else to take them, i can put them into my ponds (after i do some research to make sure they're not the carniverous ones). We also back up to lake easement (read swamp) and i could let them go back there if you can't find anyone and don't mind. Frankly, they may take off and head for the easement anyhow. Don't think red ears are indigenous to our area, tho. Schools sometimes love herps like that. Our school has several teachers who have red eareds they got as wee ones and raised. So you may want to ck with any teachers or aides you know, or even the local elem school.

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

Magick, if nobody else wants them I'll take them. I have a garden pond on my deck and the kids would get a kick out of them.

Brenda, I've potted up the polygonatum. Yay, I've been wanting a hardy fuschia.

Catc, I'd love more helebores. Is the carolina phlox 'Bill Baker' ok? And of toad lilies I have samurai and amethystina but my myazaki had a bad year so I don't want to divide it.

• catc
    16 years ago

Ais - The phlox sounds great, and I'd love either toad lily - maybe this year I can get the rabbits to leave them alone. These helebores are seedlings, if that's OK. I think I have at least one year old plant as well.

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Brenda, I have the following that you have on your want list. Cuphea 'Triple Crown'(my Cuphea 'Batface' did not make it), Phlox diverticata, Ruella brittonia pink 'Chi Chi' and blue Mexican Petunia 'Purple Showers', Salvia 'Indigo Spires and S. 'Cathedral Spires', S. 'Texas Red', S. 'Dancing Flame' and S. 'Fairy Queen', Veronica 'Georgia Blue' and can provide a cutting of Sambucus nigra and Salvia 'San Carlos Festival'. I would love any of the following if you have one available - Agastache 'Golden Jubilee', Campanula latifolia, Datura 'Black Current', Heliopsis and/or Thermopsis villosa. I can also bring you a variety of leaf lettuce plants if you would like - let me know how many to pot up for you.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tammy didn't you say you have hellebore seedlings? I can take some osmanthus cuttings from my MIL's if you'd like.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

sure, i can bring some hellebore hybridus seedling for you. Osmanthus cuttings would be nice. Are they the kind that blooms orange in fall? (o. cestrum, i think). that's the specific one i'm after, but I like the other kind, too.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This osmanthus is a white-flowered one that blooms in late winter and continues into spring. It's blooming now.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Does anyone have the Salvia leucantha Furry White and Lavender? Looks incredible!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia leucantha Furry White and Lavender

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Ais - I'll bring the turtles to the swap. Your kids will love them, as they love to be hand fed. They will eat tiny fish (smaller than 2") but have lived nicely with goldfish that are larger.

Root - Those are beautiful!!!

I'd also like to find some nice sized pussy willow branches that I could root. I had such fun watching roots develop on the weeping willows, I'd like to try it with pussy willows.

I've also got a handful of well started Weeping Willows potted up if anyone is interested.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Magick, I have some pussy willow cuttings I can bring ya. I don't need anything for them.

• brenda_near_eno
    16 years ago

Root, bloodroot is yours - maybe a bit of hardy hibiscus or begonia? Lots of things died last summer for me, so most anything you have extra will be welcome.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Thanks Root - I've still got you down for the Mickey Mouse Elephant Ear.

I have a baby Hosta 'Angel Feathers' if anyone is interested.

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Rootdigger, I have bush Mexican Sage (S. leucantha) that looks like the picture, i.e., its flowers are purple and white. Would you like one?
    Magick, I am interested if I have anything that you would like for your Hosta 'Angel Feathers'? I have Japanese Painted ferns which are on your list, or I could offer you another Hosta. I have a couple of dwart ones including 'Lemon Lime' and several regular to large leaf varieties. By the way, the variegated Toad Lily is 'Variegata', not 'Lightning Strike'.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Ralph - I'd love the toad Lily 'Variegata'. I also have a baby Hosta 'Yellow Splash Rim' that you may be interested in. If so, I'd love a 'Lemon Lime' - I've developed a Hosta habit lately!

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

I can bring Anemonella thalictroides if anybody's interested. Would need to dig it this weekend so let me know.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Karen - me want bad. Isn't it difficult to grow? I thought it liked the mountains better than the Piedmont. Is there anything you're looking for?

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karen I'm interested in the Anemonella thalictroides. However, I still don't have anything down to bring you and the trade is wildly uneven.

Here are the trades I have so far:

Ais: Eastern Gray beardtongue, Short's aster, and white crinum for Clematis HF Young, mini-gardenia, and daylily Lion in Winter.

Tammy: Jacob's ladder, Small's beardtongue, Smooth beardtongue and Viola palmata for New Dawn rose, Fantin Latour cuttings, hellebore seedlings, and blue violet

Karen: ??? for Rose Pink Pet, Passiflora lutea, and Indigofera amblyantha.

Brenda: columbine for fuschia. Also alumroot for bloodroot?

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

OK, I'll go digging this weekend. John, it's actually really, really easy. It grows in dry shade or dry sun, and none of these get any water except what falls out of the sky. Alicia, I'd love to swap for Jacob's Ladder if you have some more to trade. I've had trouble getting it established. What else do I want ... there's so much. Does anybody have any of the yellow striped/variegated Dianella? I lost mine this winter.

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Karen, do you have enough for me too? If I have anything you'd like to trade for that is?

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karen it's a deal. As more stuff comes up I'll list it and hopefully you'll see something you want.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Karen - I'll check on the Dianella. I had some. It never did much (bloomed while winter protected, never made the bright blue berries which is why I bought it) so I planted most of it outside and covered it with a ton of mulch. I have now uncovered just about everything and don't see it. I will dig around and check the hoop house in case I held some back. I did see a new form of Dianella up at the Philly Flower Show. It was more pointed and had a bluish cast to dark green leaves. I tried to get one (they were throwing them away after the show) but failed.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Karen- i wanted to see if you had any starts of that tiny electric blue salvia sinolensis (i think i spelled that right). I lost mine last fall, I'm fairly sure.

I can attest that the anemonella is a sweetie ephemeral that does just fine here. I've rescued it on saves and it takes a lot of abuse! So cute.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Dana, I've got plenty and will put your name on some. I'm sure there's something you have that I want -- I always come home from the swaps with plants from your garden.

Tammy, I'll have to look under the leaves and see if it's coming up yet. If it is, I should be able to pot some up.

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Thanks Karen.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

thanks, Karen. if not, no biggie- i'll get another pot at bb's, but i'd rather swap for it. What would you like in exchange? So it's hardy for you if mulched? I thought it was very marginal here. Mine was fairly exposed, so i don't expect it to come back. I took cuttings, but never got them rooted. I was happy that i did get rosebud salvia going from cuttings.

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Karen, I am also interested in your A. thalictroides aka Windflower - it is listed in the Vascular Flora of the Carolinas as being a native of most of the counties in the piedmont and mtns of NC and SC. Let me know what I have that you would like in return - I have a couple of new Salvias (Texas Red, Fairy Queen, Mystic Spires and Dancing Flame). I also just potted up some cuttings I rooted last fall of Lantana camara 'Samantha' which has yellow flowers and variegated yellow and green foliage. I think that it is gorgeous in part shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: My current trade list

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

OK, I've got Anemonella for Ralph, Dana, Triangle John, and Alicia. There are 4-5 in each pot, 'cause once I start digging I'm like the Energizer Bunny. Ralph, I'd love to get one of your Gaillarda 'Arizona Sun'. John, if the Dianella's died back to the ground, from what I've read it will probably come back all green (if it comes back). But from what I've seen in the past, you could bring me just about any relatively obscure plant from your garden and I would be happy. I think I managed to winter over that vine with the big pink flowers I got from you in the fall and am very pleased about that. Tammy, I tried several times before I got the Salvia sinoalensis to overwinter, but it's been perennial for me now for about 5-6 years. It's starting to sprout so I think I should be able to dig some before the swap. Unfortunately the Passiflora lutea still isn't showing so I may have to dig it later in the spring.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Special trades for Spring '08 Swap:
    Name
    Incoming
    Outgoing
    RootDiggerNC
    Pussy Willow Cuttings
    Mickey Mouse EE
    Hollyclyff
    Canna Stuttgart'
    Weeping Willow
    TriangleJohn
    Vari. Gardenia Cuttings
    ???
    Aisgecko
    -
    2 Turtles
    Tamelask
    Mock Orange
    Strawberries
    White Beauty Berry
    Sedum
    Ralph
    Brandy Boy Tomato
    Arum italicum
    Toad Lily 'Variegata'
    Hosta ÂLemon LimeÂ?
    White Beauty Berry
    Sedum
    Hosta ÂAngel FeathersÂ
    Hosta ÂYellow Splash RimÂ?

Ralph, I'm not sure if we were trading Lemon Lime for Yellow Splash Rim or not. Let me know what you want to do.

If I've missed anyone, or forgotten anything, please let me know.

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Karen, I will have one of the Gaillarda 'Arizona Sun' in a pot with your name on it tomorrow.
    Magick, yes to the trade of Hosta 'Lemon Lime' for your Hosta 'Yellow Splash Rim' and to the other things you listed.
    Triangle John, I apparently lost all of my native Violets (were they Bird's Foot or Dog's Tooth?) Do you have any violets left (Bird's Foot or others) that you would like to trade?

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Sounds good to me, Karen- whenever on the passiflora. Hopefully, you can give me specs about how/where you've overwintered that cutie salvia. I fell in love with it last year.

magick- that's right! How'd you do that nifty, tricksy box?

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Tammy - Glad you like it. It's an table written in HTML.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Magick - I can just pick through whatever you bring for the general swap in exchange for the gardenia cuttings. The cuttings are going to be small since the bush is extra low growing. It needs a trim so I can bring a handful of cuttings but they will be short.

Ralph - some of my violets are just now emerging, the Birds foot from Arkansas is blooming but I only see one of them. I will have plenty of violets to share after the blooming season - early summer at the soonest. I collected a new one on my most recent drive but it isn't as showy as the Birdsfoot.

Karen - I have lots more of the Pondranea or whatever that pink flower vine is. It is reliably overwintering for me and now is sorta invasive so be careful where you plant it. I have tons of extra stuf that made it through the winter so I am overflowing with plants. I even had one of those small leaved philodendron vines overwinter!!!!

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karen, would you interested in a couple of Florida azalea seedlings?

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To everyone: I have a couple of small pots of cuttings from an old-fashioned Christmas catcus (S x bridgesii) that I think are rooted if anyone's interested. It usually blooms in Jan for me.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Alicia - I've been looking for Florida azaleas, if you have any extras?

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Magick I may very well have extras this fall -- I will be starting more from seed this spring.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Alicia, have you ever tried doing cuttings with those azaleas? One of the 2 seedlings i got from you is still plugging- but it's still only about 4" high (the other one died). Just thinking that cuttings might be a little faster. Sometimes seeds are so much easier, though- i did coral honeysuckle seeds this fall and they are a snap, whereas i'd tried cuttings quite a few times with only 1 or 2 takers.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tammy cuttings from deciduous azaleas don't work, I believe. Layering might work but it's difficult to get a branch to lay down -- the branches tend to grow upward. When first planted the roots require a very light, peaty medium or the plant won't make it. I'll post a question on the azaleas forum and see what folks there say.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a link from the Azaleas forum about propagating native azaleas. I can try to layer if there's any branches left alive that are close enough to the ground -- my azaleas had a tough time after being transplanted in the middle of the drought.

Tammy, do you have any peat moss? I had to mix peat with potting mix in order to get the seedlings to live, and then they did quite well.

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

If the branches are too upright, you could try air layering. It's the same idea as layering in the ground. You wound an area then wrap it in moist sphagnum then plastic. Make sure it's shaded so it doesn't cook. I did it ages ago in a high school biology class on a regular azalea. I was thinking of trying it on my native azaleas. They are still pretty small. -Ais.

Here is a link that might be useful: air layering

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tammy there are actually some live branches near the ground that I am going to try to layer. It'll take about a year to get a decently rooted plant if it works.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Cool- i was just curious, more than anything. thanks for the in depth answers, you two! I do have some peat, and may work a bit extra into that pot (the soils i tend to use are peat based anyhow). It's doing really well, just growing sloooowly. :)

I've layered a few things- works really well for the prostrate gardenia, the wilson hydrangea and a couple others. I've tried air layering, but i have a hard time keeping the moss moist enough to get roots. Plus, what i was trying to layer was a hard plant to do it with. I have one of the special little pots that wrap around the stem- quite handy.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have to say, native azaleas are worth every penny and then some when purchased from a nursery. I've been growing azaleas from seed because I am very fond of that particular azalea and my first attempt at layering didn't work. I thought it would be neat to see how the offspring turned out. Now that the azalea is much bigger and the lower branches have started to droop layering should be easier. Can't hurt to try anyway.

• brenda_near_eno
    16 years ago

Alicia's azalea seedlings rock, and I would always be happy to trade for another! Mine aren't quite big enough to plant out yet, but they keep growing.

So this is what I think-correct me if wrong:
    Ais: fuchsia ÂSanihanfÂ, for polygonatum 'humile'
    Alicia: fuchsia ÂSanihanf and bloodroot, for heucherella and columbine
    Tammy: (dig sourwood baby for next time; all your kiwi cuttings rooted and sprouted!)
    Karen, fuchsia ÂSanihanfÂ, anything fine in return.
    Ralph: either Spires salvia would be wonderful. What are you looking for? I have Mimulus niger, fuchsia, or ÂKaliedescope Abelia for you, if youÂd like.
    Rootdigger: bloodroot for hardy hibiscus or begonia?

I have available:
    Seedling Tiarella crosses between native and ÂIron Cross  these all look different and are lush and drought tolerant when established
    Agastache Âhoneybee blueÂ
    Seedlings of Zephyranthes labuffarosea (2 pots of baby bulbs)
    Rattlesnake Plantain(1)
    Impatiens capensis and native butterfly pea have become pests for me, so plenty to share
    Beautyberry (1)
    Bloodroot (5)
    Seedlings of Salvia splendens ÂDancing FlameÂ
    Seedlings of Campanula latifolia
    If you see somthing else on my un-updated trade list, it can probably still be dug.

Looking for shade plants. Unusual lantana. More tiger lilies that do so well here. Still seeking Impatiens zomensis lost to everyone I think.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Hey Brenda, I'd love some of your Zephyranthes labuffarosea. You want shade loving plants, I'm sure I can find a fern for ya. Which ones do you have so I can find ya something you don't have?

• keithrnjd
    16 years ago

Brenda, I am in dire need of some bloodroot! Check out my list and see if there's anything I can bring for you!

Is anyone bringing any Lamium?

Sally

Sponsored