Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

o
WANTED: Special Trades for Spring 2008 Swap

Posted by alicia7b z7b/8aNC (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 08 at 13:24

Time to begin special trades. Let the trading begin!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Special Trades for Spring 2008 Swap

Triangle John, is it too soon to ask Lake Crabtree Park about available dates? You can tell that I would really like to meet there if we can get the area with more parking that was discussed after the last time we met there. If so, we need to start talking about which weekends work best for everyone. Easter is in March this year and the J C Raulston Arboretum has its "Gala" the first weekend in April, so anytime from mid-April through the first weekend in May should work for me.

o

Hi, I would love to get involved. Where is the swap etc. Thanks, Happyseed

o

Hi Happy- More information can be found under the thread 2008 Raleigh Spring Swap. Quirkpod is also hosting one a couple weeks earlier and Rootdigger usually host one near Greensboro. Just keep checking back. This thread will take on a life of its own as the swap gets closer. You can also post what you are looking for and someone may have it but they don't have their page updated...like me. Welcome to the insanity, Shannon/Dirtrx

o

Remember last year when I went on and on about how Lake Crabtree park insisted we not have more then 50 people at our shelter for the swap. Well they came and counted noses during the swap and informed me that in order for us to reserve a shelter we can only be in the big shelter (holds 100 people). That is not my problem. They don't handle reservations until after Feburary 4th. I called a week later and left a message. I asked for the large shelter and explained who we were and what we wanted. They never contacted me back - I assume it is because the large shelter isn't available. I'll never know for sure.

It is kinda hard to work shelter reservations into the schedule when the time line is so tight. It is never as easy as walking in or calling them and picking a date and signing a form.

o

Perhaps I'm in the minority but I like the Garner site better anyway -- more room for plants.

o

I always feel like we could just have the swap in the parking lot at Creech Road Elem. Park. We always seem to be the only people interested in the shelter, everyone else comes for the playground. We could explore setting things up a little differently, maybe stretching out along the long sidewalk with special trades or sorta tailgating it in the center. And for the record the Garner Parks folks have never complained about any mess left behind or too many people using the shelter.

o

wonder if it would work to lug some of the tables down to the sidewalk and leave just enough for food & butts up top? maybe some folks have those fold out tables to supplement? only thing is, no shade. i think the swaps in garner have been fine, and i liked crabtree, too, except that it was too small. i'm happy when there's lotsa plants, good food and fun folks! my family knows we plan everything around the swaps. lol.

o

I favor the Garner park as well. I would be happy to host it at my house, too. I am in Garner on a cul de sac, with a 3 acre fenced in area for kids to play ball, run around, etc. I no longer have a swing set, but do have a trampoline and a 140 pound Mastiff who loves to play soccer. I have tons of room and everyone is welcome. The invitation is open, so if ya'll wanna have it here, come on over!

Sally

o

I have updated my Trade List for the spring Raleigh plant swap. In addition to what's on it now, I expect to have Leaf Lettuce and other vegetables. I will make additions when I see what seeds have germinated and which cuttings have rooted.

Here is a link that might be useful: My updated trade list.

o

Ralph, I have a couple of things that are on your list. I also have some seeds that I bought while on a sugar high from my birthday. I found this obscure seed shop (online) in England and went crazy. I haven't sown anything yet but should soon - I got lots of weird dry shade stuff from Chile and Argentina including some extra large Lobelias. I have a lot of Abutilons. For variegated leaves I have Souvenir de Bonn (rooted cuttings ready now) and A. savitzii which is a very wimpy plant, very slow growing, it may be a year or so before it gets big enough to take cuttings from.

o

John, I really have grown to like Abutilons. The A. 'Souvenir de Bonn' that I got from you 2 years ago did not grow much until last fall. Suddenly, it shot up a couple of feet and began to bloom. It is one of my favorite plants along with a recently acquired variegated Gardenia augusta. The latter did not have a name and so I cannot be sure how hardy it is. It looks more elegant that the picture of G. augusta 'Variegata' in Dave's Garden - any ideas? I will be anxiously awaiting news that your new seed from England have sprouted. In addition to the salvia that I listed, I recently got a start of S. farinacea 'Fairy Queen'. It has been a struggle keeping it alive this winter, but if it grows out soon enough, I will bring some rooted cuttings for the April swap. I believe that my Hibiscus acetasello may not come back. John or Rootdigger, were you able to save any of your H. acetasello 'Haight Ashbury'?

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia farinacea 'Fairy Queen'

o

Ralph - I lost all my Hibiscus acetasello's (solid and variegated). They didn't handle hoophouse winter very well.

The variegated gardenia I brought to the swaps was rooted cuttings of a bush growing out at the fairgrounds. Probably planted by Tony Avent years ago. The blooms are single and narrow petaled.

That abutilon sold as Canary bird has been the hardiest and biggest bloomer in my yard and out at the fairgrounds.

o

I'm looking for the following in particular:

Philadelphus ‘Innocense’ (Variegated Mock Orange)
Azalea 'Gibraltar'
Variegated Lily of the Valley

I'd be willing to trade a Mickey Mouse EE for any of them. I'll be updating my trade list as I see what's coming up over the next month or so.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magick's Trade List

o

i lost the acetasello cuttings, too- both the plain and haight asbury, in my cool greenhouse. if anyone still has it to redistribute, i guess we all know those are ones to bring in the house! lol.

magick- i have regular mock orange, but not the variegated. lmk if you'd be interested.

o

Ralph-

I have a start of Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream' that I got from PDN last year, and some candy lily seedlings from PDN's 'Sangria'.

Sally

o

Well, along with the usual suspects I know I'll have some helebores foetidus if anyone wants some. I have plenty volunteers from last year and this. I also have about 7 rooted cuttings of miniature gardenias from the winter. (Every gardenia twig I put in moist dirt rooted. WOW.) I haven't figured what else I'll bring. Maybe some lilies and wood hyacinths. Some of my toad lilies are looking good so I may bring some of them. I still don't know what survived the drought well, so I just have to see what comes up robustly and what doesn't.

o

Ais I'm interested in one of the miniature gardenias. I have smooth beardtongue, may have blue wood aster seed, and tons of Baptisia alba seed.

I'm looking for spring bulbs, to everyone in general.

o

Is anyone planning to bring tomato plants to the swap? I am interested in a couple plants each of Early Girl, Black Krim, and Sun Gold plus a large disease resistant beefsteak type. (There is a virus in our neighborhood that kills many of the heirloom tomatoes and even Better Boys.) I hope to have a couple of extra Park's 'Gold Gem' cherry tomato plants to trade - they did very well for me last year and have a unique, excellent flavor with yields similar to 'Sun Gold'. I am also interested in a few pepper(Bell, Cuban/Italian and mildly hot) and eggplant if anyone has extras.

o

ralph, i can probably bring you some sungolds if i get them going soon. i normally start extras of that one anyhow. how does gold gem compare taste wise? i don't have any of the other ones you mentioned. i tend to start mine kinda late so they may be small. maybe i'll start soon this year if i have a reason to.

o

Sally, one of the pots of Trillium has small leaves showing, so I will definitely have one to share with you. I would love to have one (or more) of your candy lily seedlings, and if I have other things that you would like to trade for, I would also like an I. arguta. Do you have any more of the Salvia Jamie? I am not sure that mine is still alive. Is this S. jamensis by any chance?
Tammy, Park's 'Gold Gem' cherry tomato reputedly has a very high (10%) sugar content with a distinctive taste with a hint of citrus. It is a heavy bearer and very disease resistant in my one-year's experience with it. I grew both it and Sun Gold last year and loved them both.

o

we all love sungolds, and the gold gem sounds great. do you want to trade?

o

Tammy, I think that I have 7 seeds left from the packet of Gold Gem tomato seed. I will only need two plants for myself, so I expect to have several left over and I would like to trade one or two of them for a couple of Sungold and/or Black Krim.

o

sounds good to me. i'll start a few extra sun golds for you. can't wait to try the gold gem. cherries are our favorites, and they do better with lower light, so they work best for us, too.

o

Ralph, my I. arguta is looking a little straggly (is that a word??), so I will hold that one for you and start another assuming it comes up outside.

I do have salvia 'Jaime', but I may not be able to get a cutting rooted in time for the spring swap. I'll get some for you for the fall if that's the case. I have no idea if it' S. jamensis, by the way.

I will pot up a couple candy lily babies for you, too.

I would like the trillium and if you have any tricyrtis 'Saumurai' available, I'd like some of that, too. ;-)

See you soon!

Sally

o

I'm still in the stage of being amazed at what survived last summer. Still don't know what all will look good to bring to the swap, although the hellebores had a good year and there will probably be babies. If the squirrels didn't relocate all of my seeds, there will also be a few Aesculus sylvatica and I'm pretty sure there's a cutting from Rosa 'Pink Pet' left over from last fall. And there's Brillantaisia subulugarica that should be rooted in water in the garage. I also need to retrieve my list of plants I still owe people from last fall, so anybody who's on that list please remind me if I forget.

Just putting this here so I start remembering things I've said I would try to bring to the next swap:
Ralph: Salvia reptans 'West Texas Form'
Rootdigger: Jade 'Gollum'
(Tammy?, and maybe somebody else) : Passiflora lutea

BTW, Salvia 'Jame' is a cultivar of S. regla, if that's the one you're talking about.

o

Karen, thank you for the info on S. regla. I looked it up in Betsy Clebsh's book "The New Book of Salvia" and her description sounds like it is a really neat plant. By the way, Karen, will you have any of the hardy version of Salvia mexicana? Everyone I know who saw the S. mexicana 'Limelight' at the arboretum was blown away by it.
Sally, I do have the variegated Toad Lily (Tricytis) "Samurai" and will save you one. I have another Toad Lily that is even more variegated that 'Samurai' that I got from someone at the swap either last spring on in the fall of '06 that I can probably divide.

o

'Tula' is the one you want -- it has the chartreuse calyces but is hardier than 'Limelight'. Unfortunately the mexicanas don't start into growth early enough to have cuttings for mid-April, but if we can somehow arrange an exchange in early summer I could try to have some by then. (Always assuming, of course, that it appears on schedule later this spring.)

o

yes, karen, i was the one who wanted passiflora lutea. thanks for remembering!

o

Hello All,
I am new to the gardening thing and don't have much to trade or at least not much exciting stuff, but I was hoping I would still be welcome at the swap? What I would have to bring are some tree saplings (Golden rain trees, Washington hawthorn, eastern redbud, Sargent crabapple, white dogwood, and Crape myrtle),
Better Boy seedlings, lavender seedlings, sweet basil seedlings, and various others if I get them going in time. Is any of this worth bringing or are people more interested in rare stuff? Any insight into what is acceptable would be great. :) There are of course many plants I am dreaming of, but I doubt anyone would want to trade for my pitiful offerings, hehe. Thanks in advance, Kara

o

Sure you are welcome, Kara! We are interested in all kinds of things. I for one, would love a dogwood! People bring rare and common seeds, bulbs, cuttings, potted up rooted plants, garden art, quite a variety of plants and items.

Welcome!

Sally

o

Kara, I'm always looking for redbuds to plant in my woods and never seem to get around to starting basil myself, so I'd love to trade for yours.

o

Tammy - I'd love a mock orange, even if its's not Variegated - as long as it is fragrant. What can I bring you?

Everyone - I still don't have a full list, but here's what I have available as of now:
Wild Ginger
Passalong Yellow Irises (from my MIL)
Orange Ditch Lily
Red Cannas
Taro
Rooted Weeping Willow Cuttings
Climbing Red Rose Plant (not cutting)- Unknown var.

o

uncgardener - I can always use more redbuds and dogwoods and would like to try a hawthorn.
magick - I lost my weeping willow a couple of years ago and have been meaning to plant another one, so I'd love one of your rooted cuttings.

So far, what I have ready to bring are some bottlebrush buckeye seedlings. Aside from that it will be whatever looks like it wants to be dug up come April, or if anyone wants anything in particular from my list, let me know and I'll try to accomodate.
Dana

o

Dana - I'd be happy to bring you a rooted cutting of Weeping Willow, I have plenty!! On a side note, have you had good luck growing canna 'Stuttgart'? I've heard that they can be difficult to grow around here.

o

magick- it would be a bunch of cuttings unless you want to come and dig the bush (which is big, and you are welcome to). I can cut now and they may be rooted by then. It's fragrant. I don't want it where it's growing anymore. No worry about trades. I'm gonna try REALLY hard to pare down this year, unless we continue to get gobs of rain and I feel better about the drought.

Welcome Kara- whatever you bring will work just fine. We welcome all & sundry.

Dana- I'd love a bottlebrush buckeye. i have a red and some yellows from a plant save, but no bottlebrush. is yours growing in shade? let me know what you would like in trade.

Just found out last night our theme for the fair garden this year is a fragrant garden and it's in 1/2 shade. So, if anyone thinks of something that would do well in that situ, and be blooming in the fall - I'm game. i have lots of brugs and gingers, and plan to do moonflower. I don't have any jasmines- but i don't know if they'd be blooming then or not. Lots of research to do...

Not sure what all I'll be bringing- 1 thing I know is some hellebore x seedlings again. I have a bunch of lipstick and another red salvia rooting (maraschino, maybe). I may try to root a bunch of the bridal wreath spirea cuttings again. Oh, i have a bunch of strawberry guava seedlings and coral honeysuckle seedlings. i put some roses clippings in the ground as i trimmed, so I may have some rooted cuttings if all goes well. It looks like the new dawn and red cascade rooted. I may be able to dig another division/sucker of dehlia's purple, a super fragrant old fashioned bright magenta/purple semi climber.

o

My Stuttgart grows just OK. Nothing like some of the others that grow like crazy, but it comes back every year. Or at least it always has before! It will burn in too much hot sun though.
Dana

o

Tammy - I'd be happy to come dig!!! I've got the perfect location for a large fragrant bush. Shoot me an e-mail at Tammy@MagickButterfly.com with your location.

Dana - If you have an extra, I'd love to try Stuttgart - let me know what else (besides the Willow) I can bring you.

o

Thanks everyone :) I'm glad I have a few things people would like. I will guard the baby trees with my life from the deer until the swap haha :) I can't wait, the more plants the better as I have more yard than I know what to do with! See you soonish, Kara

o

Tammy, I'd love a sucker of Dehlia's Purple if you have one. I could swap my Pink Pet cutting if you're interested (an old polyantha that I got at Montrose), or we could probably find something else. BTW, it looks like I did finally manage to get a cutting of Veilchenblau to root.

Have you seen the late/fall blooming Clethra alnifolia? I'm not sure if it's late enough to be useful for the fair garden but will try to find out. Are you going to include foliage fragrance as well as floral?

o

Sure, foliage fragrance is good! That makes me think, i can reuse some of my tea plants like scented geraniums if they can deal with the light level. I'll have to ck into the clethra- thanks for the idea. I know i want to pick up one of the orange colored osmanthus that bloom in fall- for me and the plot!

Karen, I'm sure i'll find something of yours i want (LOL), but another rose probably isn't it. I have as many as i can squeeze in now (limited sun), unless i find one that i could use in the plot that would be blooming in oct & fragrant (it's only part sun, but i can place it in last minute). I'll keep the sucker for you. It's a great rose- one of my favorites! And the first to bloom for me each year. I'm so glad you got veilchenblau going. Now just plant it and watch it go go go. i need to prune/tie down mine again...

Tammy- just click on my link and shoot me an email. I live in Garner, near Lake Benson park. The bush is pretty big and you may regret offering! hah hah. If you want to get it this year, i think you should soon. If you want to wait til the drought's done, i'm ok with that because it's not an area i need to tear up immediately. You don't want any periwinkle while you're out do you? I think it was Krystol/dogridge i dug all that for. I have lots lots more!!

o

Tammy, I'll be making a list as the swap gets closer and should be able to find something you'd like. Pink Pet is fairly compact and blooms off and on summer to fall for me in afternoon shade, but alas it has no fragrance. The name of the clethra I was thinking of is 'Fern Valley Late' (aka 'Fern Valley Late Sweet'), selected at a nursery in Yadkinville, NC. It's supposed to bloom September through October. I just planted one down the hill -- I can check for suckers but they might not do a whole lot by fair time.

o

Tammy, I'll put your name on one of the buckeyes. Yes, mine is in shade. You don't have any ginseng do you? Or I'll let you know when you know more what you've got to trade.

Magick - So long as Stuttgart comes up in time, I'll be glad to bring you a piece.

Dana

o

OK, who did I owe rooted fuchsia for last fall? It looks like they all rooted this time, so let me know who I owe and I'll see how many I have left for general trade. I have 6 pots of bloodroot (native, double) to trade, and one pot that has both a bloodroot and a rattlesnake plantain.

I can probably dig anything on my list from last fall, since I haven't had time to update list. Just ask. I have good luck potting native tree seedlings, and I have wide range from sourwood to sassafras to redbud -I think they live because any environment is more hospitable than my dry clay shade yard. Would love anything that does well in dry or wet shade - and old-fashion plants not widely grown/sold.

o
re: Special Trades for Spring 2008 Swap

Oh, and someone needed seedlings of native jewelweed? Let me know - mine are popping up. Always tiarella and hydrangeas to share.

o

Brenda, I was on your list for a fuchsia cutting, although you threw in such nice substitutes last fall that I need to find something new to trade for it.

o

Ais I went over to MIL's house last night and she has some groundhugger gardenias. so I can always get cuttings from those.

o

Alicia, sorry I'm so slow. I've been meaning to post but I keep getting distracted. I'll bring you a small gardenia anyways, but they must be very easy to root since all mine took. I used very small cuttings so they may take a while to do anything. I don't need anything for it.

Looks like I'll have a clematis H.F.Young (or 2) and one Comtesse de Bouchard that I rooted by layering, assuming I can transplant them without killing them. Also some winter honeysuckle via layering. I'm sure I'll find some more stuff to bring, but not much new.

o

Brenda, i'd love to get a sourwood baby. If you have lots of the fuschias, i'd love another, but since i've got one already put me at the bottom of the list(hope it comes back) . I'll try to get a cutting of that choco mint geranium going. I lost some of the scenteds, but still have that one. Let me know know what else you'd like.

o

Ais I want one of those clematis HF Young. I'll look at your trade list again, I must have something you want.

o
RE: WANTED: Special Trades for Spring 2008 Swap2

Ais I may have an extra plant of Short's aster, don't know if you're interested in that. It's a short-lived blue-lavender woodland aster that likes to seed in. I also have Eastern Gray beardtongue, which is a very pretty pink beardtongue, Small's beardtongue, and I am going to try growing showy beardtongue this spring. I have an unknown white crinum that's fragrant, one from a lady in Alabama and one from Niche Gardens. If you don't want any of these just let me know and I can come up with more. You said your garden is getting full.

o

Alicia, the clematis for aster sounds good. I can always find room for more if I try ;-) Everything you mentioned is fine actually. -Ais.

o

I have found that if I let rooted cuttings stay in a pot for one full year and then plant them in the ground the following spring they really take off. I'm always afraid to plant them out when they are so small (afraid I'll step on them!). But they really put on size in their second or third year and even faster, fuller size if put in the ground.

DirtRx gave me a variegated form of the little gardenia that is doing well - if anyone wants cuttings I can bring a few. I will eventually root some later on to share.

I have bulbs to share!! the same bulbs I had last fall after the fair. Most of them appear to have overwintered fine but they are not sprouted. I have a hard time getting the Curcuma (Siam Tulips) to sprout. So I am bagging them up in clear plastic sandwich baggies which should raise the humidity and warmth. They were sprouting in baggies when I got them, but once I planted them in dirt they went dormant (?).

o

John - I would LOVE some variegated gardenia cuttings!! Let me know what I can bring you. Thanks!!

o

John, I'd love some bulbs of whatever you have left. BTW, I haven't forgotten your ginger from last fall (the shortish spikey orange that I got from my dad). It looks like it's doing fine in the garage and I should be able to bring a piece to you at the spring swap.

o

Ais, would you be interested in a Geranium sanguinium 'Glen Luce' for your G. sanguinium?

o

magick - I'll bring some cuttings. If they don't root for you just tell me. I have access to more of these bushes and get try and root some when I do my massive gardenia rooting this summer (I am slowly covering my yard with gardenias).

Karen - I am planning on hauling a lot of bulbs to the swap. I got many crates of asiatic lilies and two types of tropical lilies (both marginally hardy here in zone 7) for free. I planted them in potting soil for the winter. Some of the asiatics sprouted and have since been bit back by winter weather. I don't know if they are still alive or not. And I don't know if my marking system survived all the shuffling and repotting - so they may show up at the swap unidentified. I can separate the Curcumas from the Haemanthus and the Asiatic Lilies but there are three types of Asiatics which may pose a problem.

I get some free bulbs every year. The ones I got year before last are up and getting ready to set buds now - so if you are patient these free bulbs can work out great in the garden, it just takes over a year.

o

John what bulbs do you have left? I've forgotten.

o

Ais, how about Alabama crinum for gardenia as well as the Short's aster for the clematis?

o
RE: WANTED: Special Trades for Spring 2008 Swap3

Brenda I was on your list for fuschia but as Karen said you brought substitutes so we need to arrange another trade. I can try to root a fragrant mock orange or beautybush but they wouldn't be ready until fall. Of course I have a lot of other things too.

Karen I'm interested in the Pink Pet cutting.

I was going to skip the plant swap this year because Sunday is my pony's first show and I need to get her ready (and she's white), but it looks like I got sucked in anyway!

o
RE: WANTED: Special Trades for Spring 2008 Swap4

PS Karen I'm interested in trading for Passiflora lutea too.

o

Ais how about beardtongue for gardenia. I've already got that dug.

o

Here's the bulb list I started with:
(Oriental Lilies)
Casa Blanca (solid white)
Starfighter (red with white edge)
Sumatra (solid dark red)

Starfire Lilies
Haemanthus multiflorus katherinae
These are like large red and yellow alliums even tho they are really an Amaryllis. The blooms get about 8 inches across, about a foot above the ground. They are a cluster of red flowers with bright yellow thingamabobs sticking out beyond the flower parts which gives the whole globe a two tone fanciness. They are supposed to be zone 7 hardy, which I never knew - I grow them in pots but will try a few in the ground.

Siam Tulips or Thai Gingers
Curcuma alismatifolia
These are in many catalogs but they can be hard to grow when dormant. They like heat. Supposed to be winter hardy here but I rarely see them come back after a couple of years so I wouldn't grow them in the ground. If you can get them to bloom they bloom all summer long.

o

Alicia, I'll put your name on Pink Pet. The passiflora isn't up yet but I'll put you on the list for it.

John, I'm mainly interested in the Haemanthus and Curcuma. I should finally have my greenhouse for next winter and am planning to keep them in there.

o

John do you have any Oriental lilies left?

o

I should have some, I just haven't dug around in the bulb crates to see if the voles got into them yet. I also don't know if my system of marking which crate had which type survived the winter (I know I marked them, but I don't remember how....)

o

I'll take some if you have any left. What are you looking for?

o

Ais we can also trade crinum for daylily if you'd like.

o

Tammy, would you like to trade for a start of your New Dawn, if it's not asked for already?

o

Would anybody take Indigofera amblyantha if I pot it up?

o

Oh, sure! I can give you several if you want... heh heh. :) I'll ck your list and let you know later what I might be eyeballing. Do you have any penstemons that can deal with partial shade?

o

Tammy I have P. smallii. That prefers shade. Karen I'll take an Indigofera amblyantha.

o

Karen what sorts of things are you looking for? You must be like me and what I have and what I want is so numerous I don't even list it.

o

Alicia, that all sounds good. So I have C. HF Young, mini-gardenia, and daylily for beardtongue, Short's aster, crinum. What color daylily do you want? I have a nice creamy white called 'Lion in winter' (if I haven't traded you that one yet). I also have lots of others.

Ralph, sure we can swap geraniums. Though mine is just the typical magenta one.

Brenda, are you going to have any extra fuschias? If so what could I trade you?

My garden fared better from the drought than I expected and stuff is coming up pretty robustly (considering) so I should have plenty of stuff to bring. I do think I probably lost some hostas, but it's too soon to tell for sure.

o

Ais the "Lion in Winter" sounds great.

o

Brenda I have blue and purple columbine as well as a Heucherella that can probably be divided. Were you just looking for evergreen ferns or other kinds of fern as well?

o

Tammy - I'd love to come dig the mock orange, but I'm swamped! Would you mind trying to root some cuttings for me?

o

magick- not at all, though i doubt they'll be all the way rooted by then, but no problem. i'll do that now and you can always come & get the bush later- i'm in no rush. it's tip rooted around, so i actually have 2 or 3, truthfully. I may be able to dig a smaller rooted piece. will poke around and see.

alicia- p. smallii sounds great, thanks.

ais- same here- everything's coming up pretty well for me, too (yay!). Noone's said, but i've noticed everything's about 2-3 weeks early this year. I should have some small reseeding annuals i can bring which i normally don't. If we keep getting regular rain like we have been i won't be so afraid to dig & bring- not to mention it'll be a lot easier! The downside is i might let myself bring more home...

o

Is anyone starting tomato plants to bring to the swap? I plan to have Black Krim and Park's Gold Gem. I would like to have an 'Early Girl' or two and a couple of 'Sungold and a large fruited beefsteak type.

o

ralph- i'm bringing you a couple sungolds for gold gem. If i get any extras of the larger types I'll let you know closer to then. They'll be small plants still.

o

Tammy I will bring Jacob's Ladder to the swap for you.

o

Tammy, I wintersowed some knautia macedonia seeds this year. I saw it on your want list. Do you have any helebores or larkspur seedlings this year that you'd like to trade?

o

Does anyone have beefsteak tomato plants that hey would like to trade? I'm also interested in watermelon and strawberries.

o

Alicia, if you still have my email address send me a test email so that I can reply. I'm assuming yours has changed since you changed your IP.

o

Ais, i wintersowed it as well! How funny. I haven't ck'd over my list in a while. I think i have 1 sprout- maybe between us we can get it going... :)
I can bring you some hellebores and/or larkspur. Prolly better to do the larkspur as seed since it doesn't transplant well, and the hellebores as babes (or yearlings).

Alicia, thanks- what would you like?

Magick, I can bring you some strawberry plants- just don't ask what kind because i don't know. They've daughtered around enough and my labels are long gone. Do you still have white berried beautyberry?

o

Tammy - Yes, the white beauty berries are just starting to form buds! I think they may be indestructible! I'd be happy to bring you some.

o

Tammy no need to trade for the Jacob's ladder. I wasn't thinking when I posted over here -- kneejerk greed, lol.

o

Magick, I have planted some Brandy Boy tomato seeds - I should have a few to share, but they may still be small if they are ready by the swap. I also have Arum italicum that I can pot up for you. I would like a couple of white Beauty Berry plants if you have them to spare.

o

Ralph - Sounds great!!

Everyone - I have just returned from my MIL's farm with a bunch of, what looks like, sedum. My MIL calls it "moss" but it is definitely NOT a moss. I have plenty to share if anyone is interested.

o

oooh- I'd be interested, magick! It may be a type of native sedum which looks kinda mossy- grows along the ground in shade. Cool stuff if that's what it is. I love true mosses, too- so i won't be bummed no matter what it is. :)

Alicia - no, i didn't think that at all. Just figured i'd get you something in return.

o

Tammy, I've added the sedum to the white beauty berry I'll be bringing for you. My MIL claims it grows anywhere - from full sun to full shade. But I'll warn you, it appears to be fairly invasive.

o

If it's one i already have, i'll just put in in a pot. I have some of the more 'robust' ones, myself! LOL! I don't mind- they are fairly easy to weed when they get out of hand.

o

magick, I would like some of the "moss", also. I can bring you a few of the strawberry plants (in pots) that I got from Nancedar a few years ago.

o

Ralph, I'll be happy to bring you some. I'd love some of the yellow & green variegated Tricyrtis (Lightning Strike?) if you have any left.

o

• Posted by tietie z7b / 8 nc (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 25, 08 at 17:20

Hi ya'll. I'm not sure what I'll have to bring. I've been busy growing something else, so not much time in the dirt lately. See my pic below. I missed the fall swap so I'm really looking forward this one.

Tanya

Here is a link that might be useful: pic of what I've been growing

o

well, nothing's showing in your link- but my guess is a baby?

o

hmmm, what about now.

Here is a link that might be useful: try this

o

yep- that worked! Cute little flower you got there! I think you could call it 'blue eyed cutie'.

o

I grew some of those before I knew better. watch out tietie, they tend to take over. Extremely invasive!

Brenda, where are you hiding? I have a little pot of polygonatum 'humile' for a fuschia if you are interested. -Ais.

o

OK, so my work addiction is conquering my plant addiction. Is one addiction trumping another a step forward or further descent?

Ais, yes, I'd love either a crinum or polygonatum 'humile' for a fuchsia.

Alicia, fuchsia potted for you, maybe for a start of your heucharella - or columbine instead?

Tammy, wandered the woods, but no right-sized sourwood seedling, but maybe there's just too many maples to see the right sourwood. Sorry. I'll keep looking.

Karen, fuchsia for you - anything fine in return.

Someone has to take my bloodroot. I rescued lots and potted 6. I'll set out in general if no particular interest. Bloomed out now of course, but love dry clay once you get them settled in.

Ralph, either Spires salvia would be wonderful. What are you looking for?

Do I owe anyone else?

o

• Posted by catc 7b (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 20:21

Ais - any chance I could get a toad lily and/or some of your phlox for some baby hellebores?

o

Brenda, I'd love some of your bloodroot. What can I get you?

o

Brenda I want some of your bloodroot too. I can get you heucharella and columbine.

o

Brenda- no worries about the sourwood. We can just do it another swap- i'm in no rush. 1 less thing for me to try to keep alive & ultimately kill this summer, right?

o

Tammy - Were you the one who was looking for turtles? I have a red eared slider & a yellow eared slider that have out grown their aquarium and hubby is not ready to put in the pond I've been dreaming of. So I thought I'd see if you, or anyone, might be interested in these two.

o

No, wasn't me- i have 3 boxers. We've owned red eared before and i don't particularly wanna go there again at this point. If you can't find anyone else to take them, i can put them into my ponds (after i do some research to make sure they're not the carniverous ones). We also back up to lake easement (read swamp) and i could let them go back there if you can't find anyone and don't mind. Frankly, they may take off and head for the easement anyhow. Don't think red ears are indigenous to our area, tho. Schools sometimes love herps like that. Our school has several teachers who have red eareds they got as wee ones and raised. So you may want to ck with any teachers or aides you know, or even the local elem school.

o

Magick, if nobody else wants them I'll take them. I have a garden pond on my deck and the kids would get a kick out of them.

Brenda, I've potted up the polygonatum. Yay, I've been wanting a hardy fuschia.

Catc, I'd love more helebores. Is the carolina phlox 'Bill Baker' ok? And of toad lilies I have samurai and amethystina but my myazaki had a bad year so I don't want to divide it.

o

• Posted by catc 7b (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 29, 08 at 14:24

Ais - The phlox sounds great, and I'd love either toad lily - maybe this year I can get the rabbits to leave them alone. These helebores are seedlings, if that's OK. I think I have at least one year old plant as well.

o

Brenda, I have the following that you have on your want list. Cuphea 'Triple Crown'(my Cuphea 'Batface' did not make it), Phlox diverticata, Ruella brittonia pink 'Chi Chi' and blue Mexican Petunia 'Purple Showers', Salvia 'Indigo Spires and S. 'Cathedral Spires', S. 'Texas Red', S. 'Dancing Flame' and S. 'Fairy Queen', Veronica 'Georgia Blue' and can provide a cutting of Sambucus nigra and Salvia 'San Carlos Festival'. I would love any of the following if you have one available - Agastache 'Golden Jubilee', Campanula latifolia, Datura 'Black Current', Heliopsis and/or Thermopsis villosa. I can also bring you a variety of leaf lettuce plants if you would like - let me know how many to pot up for you.

o

Tammy didn't you say you have hellebore seedlings? I can take some osmanthus cuttings from my MIL's if you'd like.

o

sure, i can bring some hellebore hybridus seedling for you. Osmanthus cuttings would be nice. Are they the kind that blooms orange in fall? (o. cestrum, i think). that's the specific one i'm after, but I like the other kind, too.

o

This osmanthus is a white-flowered one that blooms in late winter and continues into spring. It's blooming now.

o

Does anyone have the Salvia leucantha Furry White and Lavender? Looks incredible!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia leucantha Furry White and Lavender

o

Ais - I'll bring the turtles to the swap. Your kids will love them, as they love to be hand fed. They will eat tiny fish (smaller than 2") but have lived nicely with goldfish that are larger.

Root - Those are beautiful!!!

I'd also like to find some nice sized pussy willow branches that I could root. I had such fun watching roots develop on the weeping willows, I'd like to try it with pussy willows.

I've also got a handful of well started Weeping Willows potted up if anyone is interested.

o

Magick, I have some pussy willow cuttings I can bring ya. I don't need anything for them.

o

Root, bloodroot is yours - maybe a bit of hardy hibiscus or begonia? Lots of things died last summer for me, so most anything you have extra will be welcome.

o

Thanks Root - I've still got you down for the Mickey Mouse Elephant Ear.

I have a baby Hosta 'Angel Feathers' if anyone is interested.

o

Rootdigger, I have bush Mexican Sage (S. leucantha) that looks like the picture, i.e., its flowers are purple and white. Would you like one?
Magick, I am interested if I have anything that you would like for your Hosta 'Angel Feathers'? I have Japanese Painted ferns which are on your list, or I could offer you another Hosta. I have a couple of dwart ones including 'Lemon Lime' and several regular to large leaf varieties. By the way, the variegated Toad Lily is 'Variegata', not 'Lightning Strike'.

o

Ralph - I'd love the toad Lily 'Variegata'. I also have a baby Hosta 'Yellow Splash Rim' that you may be interested in. If so, I'd love a 'Lemon Lime' - I've developed a Hosta habit lately!

o

I can bring Anemonella thalictroides if anybody's interested. Would need to dig it this weekend so let me know.

o

Karen - me want bad. Isn't it difficult to grow? I thought it liked the mountains better than the Piedmont. Is there anything you're looking for?

o

Karen I'm interested in the Anemonella thalictroides. However, I still don't have anything down to bring you and the trade is wildly uneven.

Here are the trades I have so far:

Ais: Eastern Gray beardtongue, Short's aster, and white crinum for Clematis HF Young, mini-gardenia, and daylily Lion in Winter.

Tammy: Jacob's ladder, Small's beardtongue, Smooth beardtongue and Viola palmata for New Dawn rose, Fantin Latour cuttings, hellebore seedlings, and blue violet

Karen: ??? for Rose Pink Pet, Passiflora lutea, and Indigofera amblyantha.

Brenda: columbine for fuschia. Also alumroot for bloodroot?

o

OK, I'll go digging this weekend. John, it's actually really, really easy. It grows in dry shade or dry sun, and none of these get any water except what falls out of the sky. Alicia, I'd love to swap for Jacob's Ladder if you have some more to trade. I've had trouble getting it established. What else do I want ... there's so much. Does anybody have any of the yellow striped/variegated Dianella? I lost mine this winter.

o

Karen, do you have enough for me too? If I have anything you'd like to trade for that is?

o

Karen it's a deal. As more stuff comes up I'll list it and hopefully you'll see something you want.

o

Karen - I'll check on the Dianella. I had some. It never did much (bloomed while winter protected, never made the bright blue berries which is why I bought it) so I planted most of it outside and covered it with a ton of mulch. I have now uncovered just about everything and don't see it. I will dig around and check the hoop house in case I held some back. I did see a new form of Dianella up at the Philly Flower Show. It was more pointed and had a bluish cast to dark green leaves. I tried to get one (they were throwing them away after the show) but failed.

o

Karen- i wanted to see if you had any starts of that tiny electric blue salvia sinolensis (i think i spelled that right). I lost mine last fall, I'm fairly sure.

I can attest that the anemonella is a sweetie ephemeral that does just fine here. I've rescued it on saves and it takes a lot of abuse! So cute.

o

Dana, I've got plenty and will put your name on some. I'm sure there's something you have that I want -- I always come home from the swaps with plants from your garden.

Tammy, I'll have to look under the leaves and see if it's coming up yet. If it is, I should be able to pot some up.

o

Thanks Karen.

o

thanks, Karen. if not, no biggie- i'll get another pot at bb's, but i'd rather swap for it. What would you like in exchange? So it's hardy for you if mulched? I thought it was very marginal here. Mine was fairly exposed, so i don't expect it to come back. I took cuttings, but never got them rooted. I was happy that i did get rosebud salvia going from cuttings.

o

Karen, I am also interested in your A. thalictroides aka Windflower - it is listed in the Vascular Flora of the Carolinas as being a native of most of the counties in the piedmont and mtns of NC and SC. Let me know what I have that you would like in return - I have a couple of new Salvias (Texas Red, Fairy Queen, Mystic Spires and Dancing Flame). I also just potted up some cuttings I rooted last fall of Lantana camara 'Samantha' which has yellow flowers and variegated yellow and green foliage. I think that it is gorgeous in part shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: My current trade list

o

OK, I've got Anemonella for Ralph, Dana, Triangle John, and Alicia. There are 4-5 in each pot, 'cause once I start digging I'm like the Energizer Bunny. Ralph, I'd love to get one of your Gaillarda 'Arizona Sun'. John, if the Dianella's died back to the ground, from what I've read it will probably come back all green (if it comes back). But from what I've seen in the past, you could bring me just about any relatively obscure plant from your garden and I would be happy. I think I managed to winter over that vine with the big pink flowers I got from you in the fall and am very pleased about that. Tammy, I tried several times before I got the Salvia sinoalensis to overwinter, but it's been perennial for me now for about 5-6 years. It's starting to sprout so I think I should be able to dig some before the swap. Unfortunately the Passiflora lutea still isn't showing so I may have to dig it later in the spring.

o

Special trades for Spring '08 Swap:

NameIncomingOutgoing
RootDiggerNC Pussy Willow CuttingsMickey Mouse EE
HollyclyffCanna Stuttgart' Weeping Willow
TriangleJohnVari. Gardenia Cuttings???
Aisgecko - 2 Turtles
TamelaskMock Orange
Strawberries
White Beauty Berry
Sedum
RalphBrandy Boy Tomato
Arum italicum
Toad Lily 'Variegata'
Hosta ‘Lemon Lime’?
White Beauty Berry
Sedum
Hosta ‘Angel Feathers’
Hosta ‘Yellow Splash Rim’?

Ralph, I'm not sure if we were trading Lemon Lime for Yellow Splash Rim or not. Let me know what you want to do.

If I've missed anyone, or forgotten anything, please let me know.

o

Karen, I will have one of the Gaillarda 'Arizona Sun' in a pot with your name on it tomorrow.
Magick, yes to the trade of Hosta 'Lemon Lime' for your Hosta 'Yellow Splash Rim' and to the other things you listed.
Triangle John, I apparently lost all of my native Violets (were they Bird's Foot or Dog's Tooth?) Do you have any violets left (Bird's Foot or others) that you would like to trade?

o

Sounds good to me, Karen- whenever on the passiflora. Hopefully, you can give me specs about how/where you've overwintered that cutie salvia. I fell in love with it last year.

magick- that's right! How'd you do that nifty, tricksy box?

o

Tammy - Glad you like it. It's an table written in HTML.

o

Magick - I can just pick through whatever you bring for the general swap in exchange for the gardenia cuttings. The cuttings are going to be small since the bush is extra low growing. It needs a trim so I can bring a handful of cuttings but they will be short.

Ralph - some of my violets are just now emerging, the Birds foot from Arkansas is blooming but I only see one of them. I will have plenty of violets to share after the blooming season - early summer at the soonest. I collected a new one on my most recent drive but it isn't as showy as the Birdsfoot.

Karen - I have lots more of the Pondranea or whatever that pink flower vine is. It is reliably overwintering for me and now is sorta invasive so be careful where you plant it. I have tons of extra stuf that made it through the winter so I am overflowing with plants. I even had one of those small leaved philodendron vines overwinter!!!!

o

Karen, would you interested in a couple of Florida azalea seedlings?

o
RE: WANTED: Special Trades for Spring 2008 Swapb

To everyone: I have a couple of small pots of cuttings from an old-fashioned Christmas catcus (S x bridgesii) that I think are rooted if anyone's interested. It usually blooms in Jan for me.

o

Alicia - I've been looking for Florida azaleas, if you have any extras?

o

Magick I may very well have extras this fall -- I will be starting more from seed this spring.

o

Alicia, have you ever tried doing cuttings with those azaleas? One of the 2 seedlings i got from you is still plugging- but it's still only about 4" high (the other one died). Just thinking that cuttings might be a little faster. Sometimes seeds are so much easier, though- i did coral honeysuckle seeds this fall and they are a snap, whereas i'd tried cuttings quite a few times with only 1 or 2 takers.

o

Tammy cuttings from deciduous azaleas don't work, I believe. Layering might work but it's difficult to get a branch to lay down -- the branches tend to grow upward. When first planted the roots require a very light, peaty medium or the plant won't make it. I'll post a question on the azaleas forum and see what folks there say.

o

Here's a link from the Azaleas forum about propagating native azaleas. I can try to layer if there's any branches left alive that are close enough to the ground -- my azaleas had a tough time after being transplanted in the middle of the drought.

Tammy, do you have any peat moss? I had to mix peat with potting mix in order to get the seedlings to live, and then they did quite well.

o

If the branches are too upright, you could try air layering. It's the same idea as layering in the ground. You wound an area then wrap it in moist sphagnum then plastic. Make sure it's shaded so it doesn't cook. I did it ages ago in a high school biology class on a regular azalea. I was thinking of trying it on my native azaleas. They are still pretty small. -Ais.

Here is a link that might be useful: air layering

o

Tammy there are actually some live branches near the ground that I am going to try to layer. It'll take about a year to get a decently rooted plant if it works.

o

Cool- i was just curious, more than anything. thanks for the in depth answers, you two! I do have some peat, and may work a bit extra into that pot (the soils i tend to use are peat based anyhow). It's doing really well, just growing sloooowly. :)

I've layered a few things- works really well for the prostrate gardenia, the wilson hydrangea and a couple others. I've tried air layering, but i have a hard time keeping the moss moist enough to get roots. Plus, what i was trying to layer was a hard plant to do it with. I have one of the special little pots that wrap around the stem- quite handy.

o

I have to say, native azaleas are worth every penny and then some when purchased from a nursery. I've been growing azaleas from seed because I am very fond of that particular azalea and my first attempt at layering didn't work. I thought it would be neat to see how the offspring turned out. Now that the azalea is much bigger and the lower branches have started to droop layering should be easier. Can't hurt to try anyway.

o

Alicia's azalea seedlings rock, and I would always be happy to trade for another! Mine aren't quite big enough to plant out yet, but they keep growing.

So this is what I think-correct me if wrong:
Ais: fuchsia ‘Sanihanf’, for polygonatum 'humile'
Alicia: fuchsia ‘Sanihanf’ and bloodroot, for heucherella and columbine
Tammy: (dig sourwood baby for next time; all your kiwi cuttings rooted and sprouted!)
Karen, fuchsia ‘Sanihanf’, anything fine in return.
Ralph: either Spires salvia would be wonderful. What are you looking for? I have Mimulus niger, fuchsia, or ‘Kaliedescope’ Abelia for you, if you’d like.
Rootdigger: bloodroot for hardy hibiscus or begonia?

I have available:
Seedling Tiarella crosses between native and ‘Iron Cross’ – these all look different and are lush and drought tolerant when established
Agastache ‘honeybee blue’
Seedlings of Zephyranthes labuffarosea (2 pots of baby bulbs)
Rattlesnake Plantain(1)
Impatiens capensis and native butterfly pea have become pests for me, so plenty to share
Beautyberry (1)
Bloodroot (5)
Seedlings of Salvia splendens ‘Dancing Flame’
Seedlings of Campanula latifolia
If you see somthing else on my un-updated trade list, it can probably still be dug.

Looking for shade plants. Unusual lantana. More tiger lilies that do so well here. Still seeking Impatiens zomensis lost to everyone I think.

o

Hey Brenda, I'd love some of your Zephyranthes labuffarosea. You want shade loving plants, I'm sure I can find a fern for ya. Which ones do you have so I can find ya something you don't have?

o

Brenda, I am in dire need of some bloodroot! Check out my list and see if there's anything I can bring for you!

Is anyone bringing any Lamium?

Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here