Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

HAVE: 2008 Raleigh Spring Swap

trianglejohn
16 years ago

Before I hear any gritchin ana grousin - I have moved heaven and earth to try to get other facilities to be the site for the spring swap. None of them called me back. NONE! The pattern is - reserving a shelter must take place after the first week of February (some of them Feb 1), But the person that handles this task goes on vacation for most of February so there is no one here to take care of you... grrrrrrr I give up. I go back to Garner Parks & Rec and reserve a shelter in Garner. If someone wants to do the leg work and find a better spot for us for the fall swap - be my guest. I have also been approached about having it take place at a private residence (nice big place, out in the country...) but I just can't post a private address here on the internet. If someone wants to host the future swaps at their home, I am all for it. Get ahold of me and we can work out the details. There are certain aspects of having it at a public park that just work out well.

Here's the fist wave of details:

2008 Raleigh Spring Swap

Creech Road Elementary School Park

Garner NC

Saturday April 19, 2008

2pm - 4pm

more details to follow

Comments (19)

• happyseed
    16 years ago

Please keep me informed. The trade is about 4 hours away but it would be a great weekend trip. Thanks, Happyseed

• tamelask
    16 years ago

thank you john! noone should complain- you really have been trying to find something more central. thanks for all your hard work in organizing this for everyone.

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

I'd offer my house, but it isn't that big and (mostly) I'd have to clean. Thanks John! I missed the Fall swap but there's no way I'm missing this spring. My husband tells people that all events must be planned around swap days. he loves them though, since I get more plants without his wallet. Can't wait!!! -Ais.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Thanks John! DH and I appreciate your hosting this and we're always excited to get to see everyone!! How many years does this make now? ...6 or 7?

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am gonna try to get the fall swap at Lake Crabtree's big shelter. They don't seem to have time restrictions for advanced booking (like Garner), just the time restraint that they don't start booking until after Feb 4th.

I wish they would let me make a standard twice a year booking just to save on the hassle factor.

I like the idea of having the swap at someone's house except that when I look at the group showing up - so many children and spouses come along and play at the park. I have no idea what they would do at someone's house. That and the fact that we need like a million tables. I doubt I will ever have it at my house and I would never feel comfortable posting someone else's address and contact info on the web (who knows where the crazies are?).

Now I just need to think up a way to word things so that this swap isn't a dumping ground for extra plants that swappers just don't have time to water. I hate to put limits so I will probably say that after the swap, all left overs will be tossed into the nearest dumpster.

Even with the drought I think we need to get together. Of course it is hard to think about dry weather after last nights rain!

• dirtrx
    16 years ago

I think that wherever we meet is great! Although, "that place which cannot be named" also has a school right across from it lol. Shannon/Dirtrx

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OOOOPssss! Well my boss just noticed that my desk phone at work was unplugged! Has been since I placed the call to Lake Crabtree park. There are many messages to go through and one of them is from the park shelter reservation person. Gotta go eat crow.

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

One advantage to having it at a private residence is you might not have to watch your kids as closely ( except the young ones) But I'm not pushing it that way! For me it's time off so... I just like to play devils' advocate. and some people have both space and some play equipment. and some people have penned in fields (kids can entertain themselves)... I'm just saying...

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

I'd offer my place but it's not a good one for kids to run wild -- not with horses --

• keithrnjd
    16 years ago

I posted this on the "Special Trades" thread...

I favor the Garner park as well. I would be happy to host it at my house, too. I am in Garner on a cul de sac, with a 3 acre fenced in area for kids to play ball, run around, etc. I no longer have a swing set, but do have a trampoline and a 140 pound Mastiff who loves to play soccer. I have tons of room and everyone is welcome. The invitation is open, so if ya'll wanna have it here, come on over!
    Sally

• kady42
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the Raleigh area, and am trying to get my garden established. I've never been to a plant swap before... could someone post more information about exactly what's involved, and/or direct me to a link?

Thanks for humoring the newbie. :)

-Katey

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Katey people just bring plants or food. That's about it. The swaps are very informal and you'll take home a ton of stuff.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

John, is the when and where set on this yet?

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deb - yes. Its back at Creech Road just to keep things simple. I will actively seek out alternates for future swaps.

I just got back from the Philadelphia Flower Show and kept my eyes open for plants that people had mentioned that they were searching for. I remember you looking for a multi-colored jade plant. They had these small jades with green and yellow leaves with red edges but they didn't call them by any fancy name - just jade plants. I went back to buy one for you on the last day but they were sold out. Let me know if you are still looking for one and what its name is and I will keep my eyes open.

• kady42
    16 years ago

Thanks Alicia, I found the "What do you think of our swaps" thread and read that, and feel a little less clueless.

So, should I bother bringing "common" plants? I have daffodils that need thinning, and some chives (or maybe they're garlic chives). I also don't mind bringing plenty of food, I love to cook.

Hubby might have to work that weekend though... which means I'll be 6 months pregnant with a 16 month old strapped to my back... I don't mind skipping the first couple of rounds, because I'm really not looking for anything rare (Wouldn't know rare from common anyway), but will I still be umm... taking up too much space in the later rounds? You guys wouldn't tip a pregnant woman, would you? ;)

• tamelask
    16 years ago

kady- welcome! Don't worry about bringing the baby, but you might want to consider bringing a friend to help you handle him/her so you can pick what you want without the extra weight on your back. It does get kinda hairy, though the later rounds are a little less scary. Plenty of folks bring kids, but not that many babies that i can recall. Noone will tip you over, never fear! Common stuff is fine- even the experienced gardeners sometimes have holes that they never filled or somehow skipped some common stuff when building their gardens. Plus, there's always a couple newbies who are just starting. Bringing food is always a big plus- we all like to eat as much as we like swapping plants!!

• deirdre_2007
    16 years ago

I do not have any plants to swap, so in lieu of that, I will bring lots of baked goods. I make a pretty good zucchini bread and pumpking bread, and if they survive past my 4 year old who steals them on the side, I'll try and make some banana bread also. I can also bring some chocolate chip cookies and maybe muffins, most likely blueberry.

Like I said, I don't have any plants, but I hope to wrangle some plants by sharing sweets. By the way, I know for a fact that baked goods eaten at a plant exchange do not have any calories . . .LOL!!

• tamelask
    16 years ago

I just started the food thread over on the conversations board! please let us know what you're bringing. thanks-

• deirdre_2007
    16 years ago

I just found out that I have a birthday party and a homeowners meeting the same day. I can't miss either, so very sadly, I cannot come to the swap. I really hope to make the Fall swap.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio