Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Raleigh Spring Swap

Posted by trianglegardener 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 23:07

Hope everyone is enjoying this mild weather - just wish we had more rain. Any plans/date for the Raleigh spring swap? Just updated my trade list.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Raleigh Spring Swap

There is a 90 day threshold before you can reserve a shelter at the park so planning the event involves math. More like math in reverse, and on a Saturday. Anyway, I believe we are safe to plan for a late April Saturday. I won't be able to get over to the office this week so it will be next week before I find out which hours are available.

The swap will happen and it will be in the Spring AND I'll be bringing along the Jaw Harp I got at the last swap - we'll play "name that song".

o

YEAH!!!!! SWAP!!!!!!! Let's do a dizzying number of side trades this year, like we did a couple of years back, in addition to the normal free-for all! Seed catalogs and swap lists - sure signs spring is coming.

o

Any date set yet? Definitely, I'm making the trip from Winston-Salem to the swap. My neighbor is coming as well. Excited about coming . . . . .

o

I'm so bummed out. Keegan's FIRST robotics team won their regional in VA, and so they are going to go to championships in Missouri (whoo hoo!). Since this is his last year with the team and i haven't gone before, i'm going to go to chaperone. BUT it's the same week/end as the swap. :(

I've already got a lot of things started for the swap. I'll try to do some pretrades and send pete and liv as proxies. I've got to jot down what all i've got going and post on here. Don't go by the trade lists that are on my page- those reappeared recently and i don't know how accurate they are. Let's get these trade pages going folks!

But, i'm so disappointed i'll miss you all. To me, that's always been more than half the equation.

o

T - you're gonna miss my Jaw Harp solo!!!!

What city in MO? I used to visit friends in St. Louis and Springfield all the time when I lived out that way.

o

St Louis. They went last yr, too- the teams can ask for a spot early on every other year. On their off years the only way they can go is to win a regional. Keeps wealthy teams from just buying their way in. I've never been further west than kentucky so this will be a big trip for me! Not really looking fwd to the chaperoning part, but the team is great so it'll be fine. It's just the idea of being essentially glued to my assigned kids for 4 days straight... At least we go up in a nice bus and it's only 15 hours. I can get lots done if i'm awake. (we leave at 3:30 AM- groan).

:(!! I will demand a private performance, then.

o

Brenda, I am looking forward to lots of trades this year, also. I just potted up a bunch of tomato p;ants including Sungold, Cherokee Purple, Celebrity, Early Girl, Better Boy, Terazano, Solar Fire and Beefmaster. I also have several bell and hot pepper varieties. I am looking for Black Krim, Black Cherry and other unusual Heirloom types of tomato and a frying pepper variety like Red Marconi. I have recently potted for shade several Celandine Poppies, Bloodroot, 'Persian Carpet' Lysimachia and Petasites japonica 'Variagatus (or 'Nishiki-buki'). I have lots of big clumps of ginger lilies potted as well as Canna 'Bengal Tiger' and 'African Sunset'. I have dug several Rabbit-eye blueberry sprouts that are doing well. I am always looking for new Salvias. I will have several kinds of Salvia including 'Evolution', 'Wendy's Wish', 'Senorita Leah', 'Dancing Flame', Phyllis Fancy', 'Jean's Purple Passion and several kinds of S. coccinea. I will update my trade list over the next several days. Let the trading begin!

o

Hi All,

I have the following plants up for trade:

Tiarell with pink and white spike
Hardy Begonia - Begonia Grandis
Lysimachia Congestiflora
Spotted Toad Lillies
Tradescantia - Blue & Gold
Horse Tail
Lemon Balm
Chinese Lantern
Mottle Leave Aster
Perennial Impatient (not to sure which one it is, but originally got at the Raleigh Swap from Ralph)
Bletilla - purple flower (very small amount for trade - 1 per pot)

I'm looking for:
Mondo grass
Bog Plants - Pitcher & Vensu Fly Traps
Hardy Cyclamen
Jack in the Pulpit - different varieties

RalphW - I would like to swap for a Deco Daddy Begonia and also Tradescantia Sillamontana, if it's available. Please look at my trade list/page or let me know what type of plants you're looking for.

o

Hey,
I've been looking at everyone's trade list.

Brenda, Can I get a Impatiens Omeniense and Uvularvia plant from you? Please take a look at my trade list and see what you want. Or let me know what type of plants you're looking for and I'll see if I have it in my garden/stash.

Thanks, Judy

o

Judy, if you got a perennial impatiens from ralph it probably was omeniense. I have some 2nd year hardy cyclamen seedlings (5 or so per pot- but they are little guys, and ready to go dormant) that i dug up this spring, and i'd love to trade for a bletilla. When you go to plant them, if they've lost their leaves, look for the little pearl- that is the bulb that will eventually size up to your palm size. Each pearl is a plant. I'd plant them- in my experience, they do better in the ground than in a pot when they are that small. They'll get a new leaf this fall (probably just one) and will bloom maybe the following fall- but more likely the fall after that. Takes a couple years but they are worth the wait.

I'll try very soon to make a list of what i have so far to send to the swap and list it here. So much going on...

o

Tammy - I would love the cyclamen. I'll go ahead and pot up 2 Bletillas for you. Sorry, that you can't make the swap this year. You'll be missed. I'll make sure that your husband get these plants to take home to you.

Everybody - I'm really looking forward to the swap this year. I have lots of plants to share and looking forward to seeing everyone.

o

I'm having fire ant issues. Evidently my new house is the epicenter for all the fire ants living in Wake County. I think there is a mound every 5 feet or so. One of their favorite things in the whole wide world is nice fluffy perfect soil - like the kind you find in raised beds or flower pots. Anything that I dug up and divided last year for this year's swap is in the middle of its treatment to rid the pot of these nasty vermin. All spring divisions will show up at the swap in plastic grocery bags. I have a ton of stuff. I will post a list later but I don't really need anything (famous last words).

It has gotten so bad that I have decided to fight fire with fire - I bought one of those flame thrower nozzle attached to a propane tank along with a tank to big for me to lug around. I'm strapping it to the dolly and blasting my way through the yard. Frying me some antz! Be afriad, very afraid!

o

John, maybe you'll inadvertently discover a new way for fire any control! Keep us updated.

Ok, so far what i have dug and ready is the following list. That said, unless you preswap, no guarantees it'll be at the swap since we are trying to fundraise for the championship trip and one of my ideas is to sell plants. So some of it will go towards that.

amsonia taberneamontana seedlings in 6 packs,
a few japanese maple seedlings- bloodgood x red laceleaf,
carolina jessamine seedlings,
rose campion,
hibiscus coccinea,
'amethystina' tricyrtis,
rudbeckia triloba,
'cherry bells' campanula punctata,
big unnamed buddleia (was a seedling) that has bright med purple blooms, cuttings,
hellebore hybridus seedlings,
ground coverish white edged chrysanthemum with little yellow button flowers(not sure what the real name is),
'san carlos' salvia,
'lipstick' salvia,
'marion stewart' abutilon cuttings,
malvaviscus drummundii seedlings,
perilla seedlings 6 packs,
creeping heliotrope,
jerusalem sage cuttings,
'sweet' pomegranate cuttings,
'nana' pomegranate cuttings,
'celeste' fig cuttings,
old fashioned bridal wreath spirea,
verbena bonariensis,
lemon balm,
lathyrus latifolia seedlings,
dianthus japonica seedlings in 4 packs,
6 packs of phlox divaricata seedlings,
small cups of about 5 cyclamen hederifolium,
talinum gold persian jewel.

I'm hoping i have time to dig: hosta ventricosa, iris cristata, flag iris, 'georgia blue' veronica, light blue groundcover veronica, cerastium plumbagoides (groundcover), garlic chives, black raspberries, 'country girl' mum, aquilegia canadensis, strawberry begonias, and flat leaf parsley. I may do some cuttings of a bright pink, very vigorous upright phlox i have- it's mildew resistant, and cornus mas.

o
RE: HAVE: Raleigh Spring Swap2

Judy, the cyclamen are such small babies i feel guilty taking 2 bletilla for them. What kind of mondo are you looking for? I have the variegated and plain deep green both and they reseed in weird spots. I could pot you up some of either. If you want a bunch, i can save you seed for the fall swap. Just remind me later in the summer- august or sept. I'm also really sad i can't be there. It'll be the first swap i've missed since i began going many moons ago. 'Spose it had to happen sometime. I'll label everything clearly and make sure pete gets any pretrades to the people i've swapped with. He's really good about stuff like that.

o

Tammy - Don't feel bad about the bletilla, I really want the hardy cyclamen. I can never find it at the swaps. The time I've bought it, it didn't live. The plants that I get from the swaps, by far do better than any plants I've ever purchased.

I'm looking for dwarf mondo grass, if anyone has any.

o

Plants for trade:

Chasmanthium latifolium - River Oats
Mahonia
Begonia grandis - Hardy Begonia
Chrysogonum virginianum - Green and Gold
Heuchera villosa - hairy Coral Bells
Hosta - no name
Tiarella cordifolia - Foam flower
Woodwardia orientalis - Oriental Chain Fern
Tricyrtis hirta - hairy Toad Lily
Poncirus trifoliata - Hardy Orange (10 to 12" seedlings)
Polystichum tsus-simense - Korean Rock Fern

Wants:

Hardy cyclamen
Lg leaf named hostas
Perennial impatiens

o

wow, I am going to need to update my trade list soon. I already have bloodroot, Nikko hydrangea, some PineKnot hellebore seedlings (very dark or very light) and several new tiarella crosses potted up.

o

Judy, of course I will pot up uvularia and impatiens om for you.

I'm going to update my list now. Sorry so late. I have to travel to Mississippi to do some gardening for my aunt over the next couple of weeks, so if you want something special, please let me know this weekend?

o

Hey Brenda, Look at my plant list and see what you want. I'd also like to get some of your Pine Knot hellebores seedlings - What exactly is a Pine Knot Hellebores?

Tammy, I also want talinum gold persian jewel. I think that's the really cool golden jewel of opar that I got from you before. Let me know what other plant you want.

Trianglegardner - I can bring you a perennial impatien - of course, I don't know which one it is - I think it has a lavender flower. Also, I can bring you a large leave "unnamed" hosta if you're interested. I'd like to get a hairy toad lily and hairy coral bell from you. Let me know if you're interested.

o

Judy,
I'd love a slip of your impatiens. Pine Knot is a great nursery just north of us in Virginia. Clear colors is their specialty. Of course a seedling is going to be different, but mine from Pine Knot have all come up with pleasant clear colors.

o
Also: Raleigh Spring Swap

Judy,Might I also have some black scallop ajuga?

Ralph,I'd love to try your petasites. What are you looking for that I might have?

I have lots more than I can put in the 'have to trade' list, so lists of what everyone is looking for are very helpful. Most of my plants have names, but I do let them have unprotected sex, so I get lots of un-named crosses. Have most natives. Gave away my last buckeye, unless another pot sprouts before the swap.

o

Judy - your hardy impatiens sounds like Impatiens arguta to me. Pale purply-blue trumpets. Very hardy and easy to grow. I know Ralph had some (many of us did) and it showed up at the swap a few times.

I also have a little Yellow leaved Jewels of Opar that needs to be dug out of the pathway so if Tammy doesn't get you one I will be bringing one. If you've ever planted them in your garden you probably have them. They seed far and wide but never seem to over take the area - one will just pop up where to don't expect it.

o

John- that's exactly what they do! And i love using them as understory plants in my potted plants for punches of color. They do surprisingly well in part shade; they just won't bloom as much or at all. They really pop in those conditions. Pot yours up for someone else- i got judy. They'll get gone. :)

Judy, i'm happy to give you the 4 pack of jewels i have- one big, a couple little boogers. Oh, and if your peren impatiens is purple, then you def should get omeniense since it's got little goldfish flowers instead. My bad. I forgot about arguta, even tho i have it, and really like it! The blue & gold tradescantia would be lovely! I've had it before but it petered out on me. I'm surprised you've had trouble with bought cyclamen bulbs- they've been dead easy for me. Wonder if they were older or something? These will take a while to size up- i'd say it'll be about 5 yrs to typical purchase size, but you'll probably have a bloom or 2 before then. But once they've started and sized up, watch out- they really go to town. Pick a spot on a slope, woods are good- they want to be dry in summer when dormant. I love the pretty leaves. Mine took probably 5 years before they started to really reseed well. I get probably 10 or more blooms from each big old bulb now over a long period in the fall. Alas, mine are not mixed colors- just the normal med pink.

Brenda, i would LOVE some darker colored hellebores (if you know which are which). They make my mouth water. Have i posted anything you're hankering for?

triangle gardener- you can have one of my pots of tiny cyclamen babies if you'd like (there should be about 5 'pearls' per cup). I'd love to get some woodwardia orientalis in exchange.

o

Hey John, Thanks for that bit of information about the impatiens. It is Impatiens arguta. I confirmed it by looking up the photo. Are there any plants you're looking for?

Brenda, I can definitely bring you a pot of the Impatiens Arguta. Sad to say, I no longer have the black scallop ajuga. That was my favorite ajuga. Please look at my list and see if there's another plant you're interested in.

Tammy, I do want the jewel of opar you have to offer. If you have a spare omeniense, I'd love to get one of those from you.

o

Tammy,
I'd love a carolina jessamine seedling or if you have an interesting J maple seedling? I can bring you a pack of well-dev dark parent seedlings. Should be moved out of pack soon.

o

Tammy - I can bring you the blue & gold tradescantia. A very cool spiderwort that has golden yellow foliage with a blue flower. I got this years ago when I was on the Ardmore Garden Tour.

o

That sounds like the tradescantia sold as 'Sweet Kate'. Mine wimped out for a year but now is growing strong and starting to bloom.

If you like the color of those leaves you'll love this kinda new Butterfly bush with chrome yellow leaves and rich purple flowers. I didn't take any cuttings last year so I don't have any to share but I might bring a raw cutting to the swap which you can take and root yourself - they're easy.

As far as what I need - my perennial beds are mighty full so I am searching for mostly annuals. Someone brought a yummy purple petunia last year - hope I see one again this year. What I need are low growing filler type plants - I mostly get inspired when I stumble upon stuff at the swap.

o

Judy - the perennial impatiens would be great. I have the hairy coral bells but my yellow lab found something interesting in the toad lily patch and dug most of it up - have to see what recovers before the swap.

Tammy - I'd appreciate the hardy cyclamens. Have some of the woodwardia orientalis already potted up.

Brenda - if you have any more of the PineKnott Farms hellebore seedlings I be interested in trading - let me know if there is anything you want on my list.

Bob

o

great, Bob, have any ferns?

o

John - Right again. The tradescantia, that I have is Sweet Kate. I would very much like a cutting from your Butterfly bush. I bet that's spectacular.

Bob - I've got the impatien potted up for you.

o

Judy, i don't have omeniese myself. I've tried it 3 times or more and can't find the right spot to make it happy. I'm bummed b/c i really like it. Ralph and Brenda (maybe) have that one. sorry. I do have arguta, but i'd rather do a cutting in summer than divide it since it's just one plant, and anyhow, sounds like you have it. :)

Brenda, i'll be happy to send both for you.

Bob, sounds good!

o

Hey Tammy, Brenda is bringing me omeniese. I'm excited about all of these pre-swaps.

o

Judy, I will be glad to bring you some Tradescantia sillamontana and if you still want, some dwarf Mondo Grass. The Begonia got chewed up by the hail storm, so I cannot divide it right now. It is, I believe, called 'Cleopatra' rather than 'Deco Daddy'. Brenda, I will bring you a couple of the variegated Petasites for some of your interesting Tiarella seedlings. I have lots of Tiarella, but yours are always special.

o

Ralph, I definitely want the Tradescantia sillamontana and dwarf mondo grass. Don't worry about potting up the mondo grass. You can just dig it the morning of the swap and I'll plant it as soon as I get back home. Please look at my list and see what plants you want.

o

Judy, I would like some of whichever Ajuga you have and or Strawberry Begonia and/or Spiderwort. I can bring you some Lysimachia 'Persian Chocolate' and variegated Oenanthe javanica 'Flamingo' which does well in shade for me. I also have Celandine poppies and several perennial begonias for shade.

o

Ralph, i have lots of strawberry begonia i can pot up for you if you want some.

o

Ralph, I've got your spiderworts and a large pot (15 - 20 plants) of Strawberry Begonias potted up. Unfortunately, I don't have any ajuga for sharing this go round, but my neighbor is bring you a tray of ajuga. She would like to get some Malabar (?) spinach from you. I think she may have gotten this from you at a previous Raleigh Swap.
I'm going to pass on the other plants that you offered, but if you've got a trillium, I loved to get one of those!

o

Thanks Tammy. I think that what Judy is bringing will be enough. Judy, the Malabar spinach is coming up in my garden from last year's seeds. I will pot up plenty to bring. How many would she like to have?

o

Ralph, I think 3 or 4 plants, should be fine.

o

I have; zebra grass
lilium lily [red]
pumpkin tree
angel trumpet
Blue star
portulaca moss 6 pk.
carnation 6 pk Do you see anything you would like? See you at the swap.

o

elsiefay - Pumpkin tree sounds interesting. I looked it up and I'd like to try one if you don't mind. Is there anything in particular you're looking for in trade? I'm afraid I haven't had a chance to make a list yet of what I'm bringing.

o

Elsiefay, I'd like to get a pumpkin tree from you. Please look at my list and let me know what you'd like. I also have rumex, cardinal flower and Blue & Black Salvia. The hummingbirds love cardinal flower and blue & black salvia.

o

I'd like to find Salvia 'Christine Yeo'. I think I may have gotten a rooted cutting from Brenda or Karen a while back. Anyone? Hit me up and I'll see if I can tempt you with something.

(posted this on the wrong thread earlier)

o

Carla, I have a small plant of S. 'Christine Yeo'. I can take a cutting tomorrow and get it to you at the swap or later if it is not ready by then,

o

elsie, when you say blue star- what plant is it? a small creeper? or amsonia? I'd love to get some blue star creeper if that's what you have. Do i have anything to tempt you? My list is up higher on the thread.

o

Yes it is amsonia.Do you already have it?

o

Tal, I would like one of your carolina jessamine.Check my list to see if you would like anything .

o

I have to trade:
dixie size cups of
Black krim tomato
cherokee purple
jelly bean tomato
mortgage lifter tomato
gaillardia "little goblin"
colocasia "pink elephant" from Ralph

Quarts of
spearmint
lemon balm
ginger
Endless summer hydrangea (2)

Looking for :
Parsley (never enough for butterflies) need lots !!!
Verbena- homestead purple
peach colored brug

Have some large house plants:
Queen of the night- tag says white, never bloomed :(
snake plant

o

Elsie, i have a lot of amsonia, actually- 3 different species, so i'm good for that. I would like to get some zebra grass, though. I'll set aside a carolina jessamine for you.

mickey- you should consider getting some queen anne's lace going for your caterpillars. It seeds more than parsley and you won't have to compete with them to get some for you. plus, you get pretty blooms. I might have some small enough to pot up if you want a 6 pack or 2. I have it all over now and pull it out since i have too much (wish i'd know before i weeded a bunch of it out just last week!). You may find you need to move the smaller cats onto it- they seem to prefer laying on parsley but they'll gobble the queen anne's lace just fine (it's the wild form of carrot). I'd love to get a cherokee purple and a jelly bean tomato if you want to trade. If you have queen of the night, that's probably night blooming cereus and it's notorious for taking it's sweet time blooming. It wants to be rootbound and once you see one bloom you'll see what the fuss is about. I'd urge you to wait a bit longer.

o

mickey- I can trade you some 'Homestead Purple' for an 'Endless Summer' if you want.

o

Tamelask,I,ll bring you tiger grass.You will love it.

o

Hollyclyff - Hi, Can I get lightening strike toad lilies & sunset cloud sedum from you? Check out my list to see what I can bring you. I have 1 variegated hydrangea that I need to add to my list, if your interested in hydrangeas.

Does anyone have any White Bletilla? The bletilla the I have up for trade is purple.

o

Judy - do you have any more bletilla? I'd like that if you do. And maybe some primula?

o

Judy, Can I have some of your purple bletill.What about hardy begonia.Thanks!Check my list.

o

Tamelask-Yes , that would work out great. I will bring you a jelly bean and a cherokee purple for Queen Anne's Lace.

Hollyclyff- I have a small start of the endless summer and a bit larger one. I'll see which ones looks healthiest for swap. May have to stay in pot for season. That is size they were when I originally got them 7 years ago and they took off great. Let me know if that is good for you. Thanks !

o

Elsie, I'll bring you some hardy begonia and a bletilla (chinese ground orchid). I'd like a pumpkin tree and portulaca moss. Thanks in advance.

o

This is Judy? I have your pumpkin tree and moss all ready.I't so much fun.Thanks to John !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Brenda,I have lots of blackeyed susans.I would like prunus mume seedlings or agastache.How many would you like???????

o

Tammy, I'm not going to make the swap this spring but I haven't forgotten that I need to give you back some of the Delia's purple that I got from you a few years ago. It's in bloom now back behind the greenhouse, and I'm certain that if I can find my way into that corner past the buddleia I will find that there are suckers ready to be separated and potted up.

o

Hey Elsie, Yep, it's Judy. If Brenda doesn't have a prunus mume, I have a 1 year old tree potted up from last year. I'm just going to bring it to the swap, if you want it, it's yours, if not it's going into the general swap.

Does anybody have any plain white bearded irises?

o

Judy,I'll take the prunus mume.yes I have beautiful white iris.I'll bring you a couple more of my favorite colors.Do you have purple verbena? Thanks!

o

Elsie, I'll bring you the prunus meme. I would love the irises. Unfortunately, I don't have any verbena. Thanks in advance.

o

Does anyone have dark color hellebores seedlings that I could get a couple of?

o

Mickey - that's fine with me - whichever one you think is appropriate.

Judy - did you see my message above? - Will that work for you for a trade?

o

Hollycliff, Thanks for the info. I did miss your message. I'll bring you a bletilla and a primiula.

o

Karen, you're a doll! Just whenever- i'm in no hurry right now. This spring/summer is going to be crazy with graduating and college starting activities, so fall would probably be better anyhow. I appreciate you remembering my request!! I won't be at this swap anyhow- i'll be with K in st. louis for FIRST robotics championships. pete's going as my proxy. :)

o

Tammy, Can I get a amethystina' tricyrtis from you? That's a lovely toad lily. I love the color. Check my list to see if there's something else you want.

o

Judy,Do you have just one hardy impatients for me.Thanks !!!!!!

o

I've been to the Raleigh Swap before with my daughter, Theresa. This year I created a list ow what I have to swap. Sorry for such late notice. Just let me know if you see anything you would like.

o

Elsie, If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll try to get you an impatient potted up. Judy

o

Judy, Thank's! I'll bring you a surprise.

o

Lamcgowa,I would like to have one of your circus stripe iris,I have carolina blue and white bearded iris.Also snow on the mt,and tansy.Check my list to see if there is anything you would like.Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Laura, Not sure if you got my e-mail, but I'd like to get Rattlesnake Plantain - Goodyera pubescent and a Louisiana Iris - Black Gamecock. Let me know what you're looking for and I'll see if it's in my garden stash. Judy

o

Elsie,
I'd love an Angel Trumpet, thanks, and I'll check my Dark Hellebores to see if there are any babies in the area that I can pot up for you. I noticed you have Echinacea seeds, do you have any purple plants?

o

Judy, I'll bring those for you as well as some "Mystery Plants" from my wooded area that I'm hoping others can identify. Please bring Primula, Salvia and Fairy Bells for me.

o

Laura,I don't have the purple plants.I'll be glad to share some seed.Did you want the blue iris?Be glad to bring you an angel trumpet.

o

Laura,I don't have the purple plants.I'll be glad to share some seed.Did you want the blue iris?Be glad to bring you an angel trumpet.

o

Elsie, I just checked my Hellebores. All the ones that are blooming now are White. Sorry about that. On the plus side, I realized I have enough Trillium to swap. Are you interested? The blue iris sounds great. Thanks.

o

Elsie - I've got the impatient potted up for you.

Laura - I got the salvia, and the primula potted up for you. I was only able to get one fairy bell out of the ground - it doesn't look to happy, but it's potted up. For some reason those don't multiply that fast. Are you looking for Echinacea? If so, I have one pot available, if you want it - let me know. It may be the Double Decker Echinacea - color is purple. I'm proud to say I grew this plant from seed.

Of all things, I'm having car trouble. I just had to have my trooper towed to the mechanic. I thought it was the battery, looks like it might be the starter. Anyhow, I'm keeping fingers crossed that it'll be fixed by Friday.

o

I'm back from New Orleans (with an suv full of plants) and back online! I can bring dark hellebore seedling ( not blooming size yet) for elsiefay and Bob Trianglegardener. Bob, do you have some Korean rick fern? Ralph, I have a couple of cute lovechildren for you. Tammy, are you sending a rep for your trades?Also bringing a prunus mume seedling for elsiefay. My tradelist should have a lot of what I can bring if you find something you like. I have lots of that butterfly bush that grows upright, with arching stems and pendulus blooms (like small wisteria blooms).

o

Hey - can anyone with a pond give a home to a couple of goldfish? These guys have been living in a 100 gallon stock tank for a few years, but now that I don't have horses anymore I'd really like to find them a new home so I can stop maintaining an unfiltered stock tank for two fish. I was going to dig out a pond, but I don't think that's going to get done any time soon. They're about 6 -7 inches long or so - one sarasa and one shubunkin. I can bring them to the swap if anyone wants them.

o

Brenda,Thanks!Did you see anything on my list that you would like,or I'll just bring you something special.See you at the swap.

o

Trooper is fixed. Plants are potted up. I'm still planning on coming to the Swap. Looking forward to it!!

o

Brenda - I've set aside a korean rock fern for you. Should have another fern or two to include. I noticed Rehmannia elata on your trade list. Do you have any available?

o

Hello Everyone,

I know I am late to the game this year, but I wanted to share my lists:

Have:
Mexican Petunia
Bengal Canna
Basjoo Banana
Salvia 'Black and Blue'
Horse Tail
Hosta Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Plain green mondo grass
Variety of Named Variegated Hostas (names misplaced)

Want:
Dwarf Pomegranate
Blueberry Bush
Hydrangeas
Black Bamboo
toad lily "Lightning Strike"
Sweet Potato vine

Hollyclyff - do you have any "Lightning Strike" still available?

Tammy - which Pomegranate would you recommend, "sweet" or "nana", for fruit?

o

Magick - I'll be bringing some native blue berry bushes (the tiny low bush kind). These are not good for berry production, you'd be lucky to get one berry per bush but they are fun for a native shade garden. I have some small sweet potato tubers from last year. Its still a bit early to plant them but that is how I grow sweet taters. If you want the ornamental types - I usually save the tubers from the purple ones but I don't see them so I guess they're gone. If I find one I'll bring it to the swap. I grow a pomegranite given to me as 'State Fair' which is sold by Plant Delights. It blooms more and fruits more than any other I have or have seen but the fruit is small and kinda sour. I have seedlings sprouting but they will take years to get full sized - would you like one or a cutting? Tammy knows how to do the cutting thing, I've never done it.

o

John - The native BB bushes sound great, as I have plenty of shade to fill! I'll pass on the sour pomegranates, as my sun is so limited and I really want the fruit to eat.

o
Yes: Raleigh Spring Swap

Some of the hellebores are newly potted, and I don't know which ones, so I suggest giving them some tlc in the pots for a while before putting them out. I am bringing weeping butterfly bush and bloodroot too. I have a lot of Agastache 'Honeybee Blue" too. I found one sprouted jack-in-pulpit in a pot. I have climbing hydrangea well rooted cuttings. What else?

Bob, I dug a small start of Rhemannia elata for you. It does not like to be transplanted, although it verges on invasive once established. It blooms now and is quite beautiful I think. I suggest tlc in pot for it as well.

o
Majick: Raleigh Spring Swap

Majick, I have a variegated lacecap called 'Maculata' or lots of 'Nikko.' Also variegated toad lilies, but I let them have orgies, and 'Lightening Strike' was just one of the possible parents. I am interested in your hosta and/or horsetail if I have anything of interest for you.

o

Brenda - I've been drooling over 'Maculata' for a few seasons now! I have plenty of Horsetail (I've found it rather invasive if let loose) and I am getting overrun with Hostas that I went overboard on one year (I bough several named varieties, planted them & misplaced the IDs). If you tell me your color preference I can get you a selection. (blues, apple greens, grass greens, etc.)

o

Brenda,Do you have another climbing hydrangea to share? If not maybe next swap.See you there!

o

This will be my first time to this swap and I am looking forward to the fun.

I have potted:
pinellia tripartita

NC NATIVES
jewel weed-impatiens capensis
trillium cuneatum
blackberry lily-belamcanda chinensis
jack in the pulpit-arisaema triphyllum
green dragon-arisaema draconyium
false solomon's seal-maianthemum racemosum
solomom's seal-polygonatum biflorum
dwarf crested iris-iris cristata
bellwort-uvularia perfoliata

Magick, I have black bamboo. If, you still have the basjoo bananna would you trade?

plantbug

o

Plantbug - I have several basjoo pups, and the black bamboo has been a desire for years, so yes; I'd love to trade! :)

o

Plantbug - I'm interested in your arisaema draconyium and
trillium cuneatum. Let me know if you want anything on my list. Bob

o

Magick, ok, we have a trade. The bamboo is probably 3' + high.

trianglegardener, green dragon and trillium are yours. I am interested in your Oriental Chain Fern and Korean Rock Fern.

hollyclyff, do you still have your goldfish? If yes, check my list for a trade.

o

Hey Brenda, Can I get a climbing hydrangea from you? I can bring you a hosta - 2 tone green/yellow(can't remember the exact markings) or pick something off my list. Just let me know.

o

jddbheartease, I am interested in your strawberry begonia

ralphw, your perennial begonia and var petasites

elsiefay, your blackeyed susan

brenda_near_eno, your dark hellebore seedlings and climbing hydrangea

Please check my list, and/or what are else are you looking for?

o
another pass: Raleigh Spring Swap

Majick, a blue hosta baby would be great.

Elsie, I have the climbing hydrangea for you. Are we trading for black-eye susans? What is lilium lily? Did you want an agastache too?

Judy, you get the last climbing hydrangea, so I will have to root one for Plantbug next time.

Plantbug, I can still dig some hellebore seedlings for you.Maybe a trillium or pinellia?

o
lamcgowa: Raleigh Spring Swap

lamcgowa, do I have anything you might like to trade for a mahonia or woodruff baby? Your trade list is long!

o
anyone reading this thread

IF YOU HAVE NOT ATTENDED BEFORE, THIS IS JUST THE "SPECIAL" TRADES. MOST OF THE SWAP IS A GENERAL OPEN SWAP WHERE EVERYONE JUST PICKS A PLANT FROM THE BUNCH WHEN A BELL RINGS. SO BRING WHAT YOU HAVE AND CHECK OUT THE OTHER THREAD.

o

plantbug - I do still have the goldfish. No need for a trade, I'm just happy to find them a home.

magick - I'm pretty sure I can dig out another piece of the toadlily for you.

o

Plantbug - I'll bring you strawberry begonia for a green dragon-arisaema draconyium . Let me know, if that works for you.

Brenda, Please look at my list to see if there's any other plants that you want. You're bringing me several plants and I just have you down for an Impatiens Arguta. I do have goooood plants, you know that . .....

Folks, don't forget to sign up on the Food List - The second best part of the
swap.

o

Ralph is out of town and I am bringing his special trades and swap offerings. Since I don't know what he needs I can't set up a special trade for him. He gave me some variegated petasites to put in the general swap.

o

I have 3 tiger grasses and 2 pink pampas.

o

Judy, no worry, the impatiens is small buy healthy in the pot for ~3 weeks, so it will spread for you. Maybe sedum or phlox would be nice?

o

Bringing some very common stuff but at least not empty handed!
Vinca major-a six pack
Lambs Ear-six pack
Cluster bell flower-six pack
Ligustrum
Variegated forsythia
Catnip
Bugle weed
Red monarda
A purple and white columbine (with volunteer morning glory)
perennial begonia,
Jack in the pulpit (green)
Pink ice plant (volunteer bee balm)
Some containers plants came in assorted sizes
House plants- African violets,rooted prayer plant,golden pothos-rooted not potted

Have if wanted but not potted up,black eyed susans
Irises,old fashion mum-booms white fades to pink,baby nandina seedlings,oxalis-green with pink flowers,burgandy with white,burgandy with pale pink,green with white,false solomons seal,Purple heart,pachysandra,mondo grass,sedum-plain and variegated
Also, bringing daughter and 10 month old puppy,would consider a swap for puppy for the right plant :)

o

elsiefay, I am interested in your pink pampas

jddbheartease, you can have green dragon and/or pinella

magick, your bamboo is probably 10' tall

hollyclyff, great on the goldfish

o
RE: HAVE: for Spring Swap

I am interested in your:

var forsythia
red monarada
purple columbine
black eyed susan
oxalis burgundy w/pink bloom

Please see if I have anything you might be interested in trading.

plantbug

o

Elsiefay and Judy, potted up your climbing hydrangeas. They are finicky. Wait to plant a few weeks, and let me know if they don't make it. I will gladly replace them.

o

Brenda, I potted up the Mahonia and Sweet Woodruff. I'm glad you like my long list since I see a lot of interesting plants on your list too. I'd like a Uvularia, Clerodendrun, Remannia Elata, and a Weeping Butterfly Bush. Please recheck my list to see if there is anything else you are interested in. Perhaps the Euphorbia since that's on your want list.
TO ALL, You probably think I'm crazy for requesting this, but I've been working on a rock wall and path for years (about 200 feet long). If anyone has any rocks that they want to get rid of, please bring them to the swap. I'm nut fussy. As long as I can lift them and fit them in my van along with my daughter and plants. Thanks, Laura

o

Plantbug.I'll keep a pink pampas just for you.Do you have black bamboo?

o

Babelsries,I sure would like to have one of your variegated sedum.Could I bring you tiger grass,pumpkin tree,a pack of six old fashion moss,or angel trumpet.

o

John -- Ralph may or may not have been bringing me a cutting of Christine Yeo salvia, but we never set up an official swap. Unfortunately, I have to miss the swap due to a family illness. If you do indeed have Ralph's CY salvia, don't bring it. I'll try to work out some other arrangements. Y'all have fun! I'll miss you.

o

Plantbug, I'll take either of the 2 plants that you've offered. Whichever is convenient for you.

o

babelsrus, (your name was missing before)

I am interested in your:

var forsythia
red monarada
purple columbine
black eyed susan
oxalis burgundy w/pink bloom

Please see if I have anything you might be interested in trading.

elsiefay, I will get you a black bamboo.

plantbug

o

Brenda,I'm excited about the climbing hydrangea.Do you still want some black-eyed susans? I have something else for you also.So glad tomorrow is almost here.It's so much.See you there.

o

Hey Plantbug, Do you have anymore black bamboo left? I would love a piece, if you have it. That's a hard plant to come by. I have a small pot of oxalis burgundy w/pink bloom, if you want it's yours, regardless if you have the black bamboo or not. I'll bring it to the swap tomorrow.

Brenda, I got your phlox potted up, today.

See everyone tomorrow. Have a good evening.

o

Elsie,
Sorry to be so late getting back to you,just got back in. Yes, you are welcome to some variegated sedum. I would love some old fashion moss ,in fact I didn't know portulaca was called that, I like that name better. I will pot the sedum in the am. See you tomorrow. Thank you in advance.Beth

o

Plantbug,
I will gladly bring the plants you requested. The dwarf iris sounds beautiful and I looked at your trade list on your members page,do you have any ferns you could trade? I know it is late. To warn you the bee balm is not a huge bunch,which is strange since it spreads like wild fire. Truth be told I thought I had pulled it all up,but these little guys are determined,so anyway.As I said I will gladly bring the plants you requested.looking forward to meeting everyone, Beth

o

Plantbug - Wow, I really like your plant list. Do you have a pipsissewa potted up? If so, I like to get one. I've got hardy begonia -I have a small pot already potted up. Just let me know. I'm leaving out at 10:15 in the morning.

o

Hi lamcgowa, I have no more Rhemannia to share, but will bring other 3.

o

Judy, Thanks for asking for pipsissewa. I have some potted up and was staring at it trying to remember its name! Time to pack up the van!!

o

Magick-- do you happen to have any Mickey Mouse elephant ears?

o

jdbheartease, I have a pipsissewa for you. Sorry no bamboo.

babelsrus, I have you a Christmas fern and a dwarf lily.

Everyone be safe on the road.

o

Mickey - I haven't seen any of my EEs yet... I'll know by the fall swap.

o

Lets share garden tips:Black spot on roses 3 Tablespoons apple cidar vingar in 1 gallon water ,spray once weekly.[all summer].Under leaves also.Happy-gardening

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here