Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralphw_gw

HAVE: Trades for Raleigh Spring 2013 Swap

Ralph Whisnant
11 years ago

I have started dividing and potting up plants for our April 27th swap. Here is a link to my just updated trade list. I will add more plants as I continue to rework some of my perennial beds. http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/ralphw

Comments (112)

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I'm looking for different colors of bletilla (chinese ground orchid). I have purple, if anyone is interested in doing a swap.

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    10 years ago

jdbheartease: We'll stick with the blue hosta. We're looking specifically for the supersized 'Jurassic Park' effect of E. giganteum. Plant Delights introduced it this year so we will try it from them - in a container first, as it is rated only 8b.

How many blue lobelia seedlings will you need? There are about a dozen of them in a 4x6" germination container - this is enough to start a sizable clump spacing them at least 6-12" apart. If you want to use the whole dozen we'll just bring the whole bunch as they are. Otherwise, we'll separate them to add the extras to the general exchange pool.

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago

CasaLester,
    Four of the seedlings should be plenty.

• ratgirl
    10 years ago

Laura: the azalea is a light pink. how about the wood spurge?

Lianthuslover: Are your hellebores something other than the light pink/white? I've been wanting some different colors. Also, you can never have too many celandine poppies. I'll bring an azalea and some iris for you.

• tamelask
    10 years ago

carla, i can bring you seedlings of my dark purple hellebore. no guarantees, of course, they are floozies, but i've had reliable luck with the seedlings being dark too. Some have speckles (it doesn't). It's got fairly short flower stalks, so plant it high or prune the leaves in winter so you can see the flowers.

john, my native coral honeysuckle blooms nearly 9 mos or more. i'm not surprised they found one that's nearly everblooming. i often still have blooms at christmastime. Carla, i've found it's easier to start from a dug one or seed than cuttings. maybe i just picked the wrong kind of wood, or the wrong time, though. I'll see if mine has a place near the base where it's sprouted up or air layered that i could dig.

elsie, i am very interested in your pumpkin bush. is it hardy? also, i did get a nice clump of the firecracker vine- it's just barely emerging.

Iamcgowa, got it, thanks!

off the top of my head, i know i'm bringing trifoliate orange 'flying dragon' seedlings, phlox divarcata, lots of aquilegia canadensis, tricostemma 'blue curls', horehound, perennial sweet peas, dianthus japonica, some tiny jap maple seedlings, rudbeckia triloba, malvaviscus drummondii, alsromeria (the red & green one), cerastium plumbagoidies (groundcover), purple shiso/perilla seedlings, euphorbia, campanula 'cherry bells', hellebore seedlings, and whatever else i can get dug out before sat.

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

Ratgirl. I think you have me and Laura confused. I do not have what you asked for but maybe a wood spurge. My cat played tag around it the other day and i was wanting to salvage the stems that ripped off. I had them in water but John said they needed dry end to root. Excuse me I am a daughter of a greenn thumb mother and she gave me half her talent so I am still learning. I have a delicate trailing lavendar blooming violet potted that I rooted but let me see what I ccan do. I am definitely excited about the light pink azalea and irises thank you so much. Cannot wait to dig in my gardens.

• lamcgowa
    10 years ago

Ratgirl I'm planning to bring you a Euphorbia (Wood Spurge) for an Encore Azalea

Lisianthuslover I'm planning to bring some Euphorbia for you as well for Tall White Phlox.

I THINK I'm done potting plants up. If anyone would like anything else on my list, just let me know.

Thanks, Laura

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

Tam,A pumpkin bush is yours.Thanks

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

I have yellow reblooming iris.

• ratgirl
    10 years ago

Lisianthus: Sounds like Laura is bringing me a wood spurge so don't worry about that. Is trailing violet a house plant? Never heard of it. When I googled it I got a few hits on African violet. I'm not too good with house plants. Got any hosta left? I'll take a chance that it will be something different from what's in my collection.

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

Ralphw,I sure would like to have one of your:portulaca grandiflorce.See-u-there

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago

Elsiefay, Can I get some of your yellow reblooming irises? Please take a look at my list and see what I have that you would like. Judy

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    10 years ago

I'm going to be able to come this spring. I don't have much to bring though. I have some extra pots that I'll bring in case anyone needs them. I also have a few named daylilies that are looking for new home - various colors, but mostly yellows; and several iris Earl of Essex that is a wonderful purple and white bicolor. Like someone else said not really looking for plants to plant. BUT I am always looking for variegated sedums and would love a red hot poker plant.

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago

Hey County Girl,
    Glad you can make the swap. I'd like to get an Earl of Essex iris from you. I'll pot you up a varigated sedum for the iris. Judy

10 years ago

Judy, I'm going to dig up 6 or so of the E of E. You can have a couple. They multiply fast.

I have gathered up two large bags of various size pots that really need a new home. I have sources that save me pots every year.

10 years ago

Ralph, I made the mistake of sitting my little Purple Stripe Angelonia outside - thought it was protected but apparently it wasn't. So if you have an extra one, I would really love it. Or Cuttings would work.

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

Judy,I potted you a yellow reblooming iris.I would like one of your cardinal plants.thanks.

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

2 oak leaf geraniums.If anyone would like one.

10 years ago

ralphw:
    Among a number of very interesting items on your very impressive list, we are particularly interested in Lysimachia congestiflora 'Persian Chocolate', as it would provide exciting contrast to L. nummularia 'Aurea' that has worked very well for us in a number of settings. We clearly face the problem of what does one offer to someone who seems to have everything :-) , but if you are looking for scented thymes we have some extra seeds of Thymus citriodorus (species).

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

Elsiefay i would like a geranium. Please tell me what to bring for you from my list. Thank you!

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

Lisianthuslover, I'll have one for you.I would like to have some verbena please.

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago

Hi Ralph,
    I just saw the message about the Lysimachia congestiflora. Both of the Lysimachia congestiflora, Outback Sunset and Persian Chocolate, that I got from you, have done very well in my garden. If itâÂÂs not too late, I would like to get a small pot of the Golden Globe from you. IâÂÂm just trying to figure out, what to bring you. I have dwarf comfrey and salvia lyrata purple knockout, if youâÂÂre interested in one or both of those? Judy

• Ralph Whisnant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tammy, i will bring some things for you & what you do not want we can put out for gen distribution.
    ElsieFay, i have a Portulaca for you. I sould like seed of your Impatiens, cosmos & sunflower mix.
    CasaLester, I will bring you a couple of Lysimachia 'Persian Chocolate' for Lobelia siphiltica, Pratia penduculata and either/or both of the ice plants. I can bring you a Lobelia car. 'Queen Victoria' or whatever else you would like from my list.
    Country Girl, it is great that you are coming. My Angelonia mostly died over winterand the surviving ones are unlabeled, so I do not know yet if one of the 'Purple Stripe' survived or not.
    Kristol, I will bring you some Bavarian Ivy' a toad lily, a hardy Begonia and a Mexican Sage. I am not sure yet if my Salvia 'Costa Rica Blue' survived or not. Perhaps another blue-flowered one?

• lorabell_gw
    10 years ago

Here's the veggies I'm bringing.
    Tomatoes:
    Black Cherry
    Choclate Cherry
    Cherry Sungold
    Cherry Sugar Lump

Also
    Paul Robeson
    Ace 55

Eggplants:
    Aubergine
    Korean
    Fengyeng Purple
    Fairytail
    and a herloom Green

Peppers:
    Paprika Sarok Sari
    Paprika Alma
    Paprika Cecei
    Hot Brigits Locoto
    Hot Japone
    Medium Peppadew
    sweet Criola de Cocina
    Sweet Corbaci
    Oriental Santaka
    Spanish Spice
    and Pepperone Calabrese

Let me know if anyone is interested in a specific before I throw them into the general mix.

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

Ralph,I'll bring you your seed.Thank-U

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

Elsiefay I have your verbena potted. It is a Lavender Frappe. Thank you.

I have a couple more lavender verbenas available if anyone wants one.

I was looking for some peach, magenta, or red Alstromeria.

Ratgirl I do have 2 different hostas potted up. You can choose or you can go for the house plant...it is an easy one, the trailing african violet.

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

Lorabell, Could I please have a couple of your cherry sugar lump tomatoes.I'll let you take your choice when we get there.Is that ok?

• dogridge
    10 years ago

Thanks Ralph! Any extra blue salvia would be great.

• lorabell_gw
    10 years ago

Elsie,
    OK

10 years ago

ralphw:
    Glad that you found something from our list. We willl get you all four: blue Lobelia, Pratia, and two Delospermas (yellow and pink/orange flowers).
    It would be great if you could give us also Athyrium niponicum, Petasites japonicus 'Nishiki-buki', and Lamium maculatum in addition to Lysimachia 'Persian Chocolate'.

• Ralph Whisnant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisianthuslover, I would like one of the lavender Verbena if you have one left available. I have the 3 dark leaf Cannas for you. The third is 'Thai Rainbow', not 'Thai One On'.
    Lorabelle, I am interested in one or two each of the tomatoes Sungold, Black Cherry, Chocolate Cherry and Ace 55; Any of the eggplant except Fairy Tale; and any of the not too hot peppers..
    Judy, I will have to bring you cuttings of 'Golden Globes. I will take a S. lyrata.
    CasaLester, I will bring you the Painted Fern, Coltsfoot and Dead Nettle. Do you want the Lobelia cardinalis 'ueen Victoria'?

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

Ralph would be glad to give you a lavender verbena. Thank you for the dark leaf cannas. The thai rainbow looks cool in pictures. which is your favorite?

• tamelask
    10 years ago

everyone- we have a funeral to attend right before, so even though i'd like to be there at 1 to get the special trades knocked out, i'm not so sure we'll be there by then. We'll get there as soon as we can, but definitely before 2. If for some reason, we come close to the general swap, i'll do the specials after it. Just put all of my stuff by a tree or something.

ralph, thank you so much! Looking forward to seeing you- it's been too long. I have a nice size (3 year, probably) cyclamen hederifolium potted up for you with a bunch of seedling pearls that are already dormant. And i'll bring the cushaw seed.

lisianthus, i am bringing 2 pots of a red and green alstromeria. They don't look so great now, but they should do ok. let me know if you want me to set one aside; not sure if i'll have time to look in the am.

lorabell, i'd love to get one each of the 3 cherries- sungold, black cherry and choc cherry. If any of the eggplants is a long skinny type, i'd love one. and as far as peppers, i'd love 1 of whatever you have available, but i don't want to be greedy. Just whatever you have extras of. If you see anything i mentioned for the general swap that i'm bringing that you'd like, holler and i'll set it aside for you.

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago

Ralph - I've got the 2 stargazer hydrangea and the salvia Lyrata that I'm bringing you. Do you want a dwarf comfrey - it's a real cool plant?

• lorabell_gw
    10 years ago

Ralph
    OK, got yours marked. Also added a tumbling tom yellow and a pearl drop,
    And I have those perslane seeds, yes they are edible.

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

Tamelask that would be wonderful if you put an alstromeria aside for me.

Sorry for your loss. We will see you there. Take care.

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

• lorabell_gw
    10 years ago

Tamelask,
    I've put aside a black cherry and Sungold. No more Choc cherry but will bring a tumbling tom yellow and pear drop as well.

I have the long thin eggplant...will bring

And some peppers, I'll set aside a mix for you.

Perannual flowers are what I wish, (I spelled that wrong, blame the chardoney) Thanks

10 years ago

I hope someone needs pots! I brought a big stack of 3 gallons and two bags of smaller! Don't really want to take the back home as I have more than I need left over! I believe these are the named daylilies: Apricot Jade, Gus Blankenship, Chartreuse Magic, Shinto Etching, Easy Ned, Rainbow Candy, Jean Wise, Mayan Gold, Catherine Woodbury, Buried Treasure, Little Cadet, and Tuscawilla Dave Talbot. Some yellows, a peachy apricot, 4 bicolor, a lavender, and Gus B is a nice red. Easy Ned is a yellow spider.

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago

Countrygirl, Can I get a Gus Blankenship, Rainbow Candy and a little cadet daylilly? I potted up a green and white varigated sedum for the EE Iris. In exchange for the daylillies, would you be interested in any fo the following: yellow and green varigated sedum, funky color iris thats beige with orange & black (coffee trader?), pale purple irises, chinese foxglove (rhemannia elata) or ompatiens arguta. I'm trying to think of things that I already have potted up or easy to dig in the morning.

10 years ago

ralphw:
    Thanks, we already have a red lobelia, so no need to pot the 'Queen Victoria' for us.

• ratgirl
    10 years ago

Lisianthus-- got your azalea and iris boxed up. looking forward to seeing the hostas!

10 years ago

Judy. Yes, the ompatiens arguta and any sedums as long as they are not the common green ones. Some of the daylilies can be split, some are small. You can have your pick first

Gail.

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago

Gail, I'll bring you the varigated green & yellow sedum and also the the ompatiens arguta. If there is anything on my list that you want let me know.
    See ya tomorrow.

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

countrygirl and judy - could i have a little gus b too?? I hope you find something that you do not have to take from me. i can probably take a few smaller pots off your hands.

tamelask I have some bamboo(not sure what kind yet) and/or I can bring you some red dianthus slips for the alstromeria

Laura I have the tall white phlox pulled for you. thank you for the wood spurge.

Ratgirl I looked and I have a several hostas. what do you already have?

see you all tomorrow.

10 years ago

I'll let Judy decide if she wants to split Gus B, because somehow Little Cadet didn't make it to Raleigh. I think Gus B has about three fans.

10 years ago

Judy, you can have any of the others that you may want. Catherine Woodbury is a lovely clear lavender and I like Chartreuse Magic - it is yellow with a green tinge.

isianthuslover, I am not really looking for any plants. You can have as many pots as you want. I really really don't want to take any home.

By the way I bought the Always Afternoon at Park Seed flower festival and think it may have been mislabeled

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

• lamcgowa
    10 years ago

Countrygirl, I'm thrilled to hear that someone is bringing named varieties of Daylillies! I have a huge bed of Daylillies on the shore of a lake in WS. Unfortunately, I've brought home too many unknown colors from swaps (mostly orange). I would love an Easy Ned, Apricot Jade, Jean Wise, Lavender, and whatever else you are willing to provide. Please check my list and let me know what you would like.

Thanks, Laura

10 years ago

I pulled out Easy Ned, Apricot Jade, and Jean Wise for you. You can have the C Woodbury if Judy doesn't want it. The only thing I would want is some Hellebores

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting