Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Trades for Raleigh Spring 2013 Swap

Posted by ralphw z7b-8 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 0:50

I have started dividing and potting up plants for our April 27th swap. Here is a link to my just updated trade list. I will add more plants as I continue to rework some of my perennial beds. http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/ralphw

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Trades for Raleigh Spring 2013 Swap

Hi Ralph,
Glad you can make it to the swap this year. Listed below are the plants I would like to get from you.

1. Petasites japonicus 'Nishiki-buki' Variegated Japanese Butterbur -
2. Euphorbia hybrids 'Silver Fog'
3. Tricyrtis Samurai (Yellow-edges on leaves)
4. Begonia, hardy - Taipeiensis -
5. Justicia brandegeeana (Bronze-flowered Shrimp Plant)
6. Ajuga reptans (Bugleweed) 'Chocolate Chip/Valfredda'

They're list in preference order. Please take a look at my page to see what you would like to trade for. Judy

o

I'm also looking for lavendar, tarragon and white bletillia (ground orchid). If you have any of these up for trade, please see my trade list.

o

Judy, I would love to have one of both of the hydrangeas.

o

Ralph, I got the stargazer hydrangea potted up. I'll try to get a Lady in Red started. If not, please look at my list and see what else I can bring you. If I can get the top 3 of my preferences, I'll be real happy.

o

Hi

It's Spring already...burrr 28 degrees tonight again....

For trade this year I have a couple nuclear hot peppers -Bhut Jolokia(Ghost) and Butch T's. Also a couple of extra Peppadew's and Alma Paprika's.(Peppers)

Ralph...did you have any luck with the garlic? Mine is doing great and should have plenty for Fall swap.

o

Lorabell, the garlic is doing great in my garden. I have a 4 by 8 foot bed planted in garlic and shallots. I still owe you for the garlic from last fall, so what can I bring you? I might be interested in your two not so hot peppers. Have you ever tried Thai Orange? It is extremely prolific and fairly hot, but still edible (barely) unlike your nuclear peppers which would be a slow painful death if I tried to eat one.

Judy, I can bring you each of your top four choices for the hydrangeas. I do not see anything else that I need at the moment. Did your Lysimachia congestiflora 'Outback Sunset' overwinter? I have a new, similar variety named 'Golden Globes' which seems to be a little hardier if you would like to try a piece? I also have L. congestiflora 'Persian Chocolate' which is better for deep shade.

o

Ralph, I don't have Thai orange but would love one if you have extra. For the garlic...flowers...your choice..or I would love a few seeds of your climbing spinich.. I have a Green from Ponchatoula LA Eggplant to throw in the mix as well. thanks

This post was edited by Lorabell on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 14:14

o

About a billion years ago I came onto a nice long green eggplant from Louisiana that was the best tasting eggplant I had ever eaten. I lost the tag and didn't bother collecting seed because I grew all sorts of eggplants that year so they would have been mixed. I assumed that it would show up on the market (it was given to me by a researcher). I never saw it again. It tasted like cashew nuts. yummy.

o

Lorabell, I would like to try one of any of the eggplant that you have extras of. Last year I grew Black Beauty and Black Shine. The latter was very prolific of small (5-inch long) fruit.

o

Just checking, are there other folks attending the swap this year? My neighbor and I are both coming from Winston-Salem. Usually this thread is pretty full with trades. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

o

Judy - I've learned to just overlook the online chatter. Often when I think a "few people" might show up is when we get swamped. I know I'm coming and I'm bringing lots of berry plants.

o

John, Sounds good. We'll see you there. I'm planning on bringing an assortment of different perennials that need dividing. Right now, for sure I have corydalis, miniature comfrey and campanulas that I'm bringing.

o

I'll have some other stuff too, but I'm overrun with penstemon "Husker's red" and a pinko-yellow chrysanthemum that's really pretty but spreads vastly, name unknown. As always, Clethera Alnifolia (sweet pepperbush "hummingbird") and Asiatic lily plants whose names I did not bother to record, but most of them are deep red, and they're tough.

Looking forward!

o

lisianthuslover, I could not reply to your email because you have not clicked on the option in your set-up page that allows your email address to show when you send someone an email from GardenWeb. I have several differeent canna that you might be interested in including 'Bengal Tiger', 'Australia', 'African Sunset'. 'Thai One On' and lots of an unnamed yellow-flowered one. Let me know which you are interested in.

o

I'll be there!

Have:
roof iris (light purple)
maximillion sunflower
campanula cherry bells (spreads)
variegated solomon's seal
unidentified medium all green hosta
may apple
strawberry plants
raspberry plants
ginger (orange flower)
creeping jenny
shasta daisy
wire plant
white bearded iris
redbud saplings
yarrow (? "Paprika")- lots of nice plants
crocosmia (red, spreads)

Want:
amsonia
japanese fern
helebores
white jasmine vine
hosta
purple bearded iris
cardinal flower
canna (polite)
mint (any type)
sun coleus
agastache
sedum (any type)
sedum (any type)
ehuphorbia wulfenii or other large types

Any plants that do will in dry shade. (Starting a woodland garden.)

Looking forward to the swap!

o
Ralph- Trades for Raleigh Spring 2013 Swap

Hi Ralph-
It looks like you have many of the plants on my want list. Sadly, I don't think I have anything on yours.
If there is anything on my list you'd like to trade for or if you have extras of something that you want to 'donate', I'd greatly appreciate it.

A few others from your list I'm interested in-
toad lily (any type)
Baverian ivy
Hardy begonia (any)
salvia 'costa rica'
mexican sage

Krystol

PS- I don't have any particular order of preference

o
jdbheartease: Trades for Raleigh Spring 2013 Swap

Hi!
You have several plants that I am looking for:
begonia
white campanula
cardinal plant
hostas
purple iris
apple mint
purple phlox
sedum
toad lillies

I'm not sure if you are interested in any of my trades, if you are, let me know!

Thanks!
Krystol

o

Hi Krystol,
I'd like to get the white bearded iris and the paprika yarrow from you. I'll bring you: white campanulas, cardinal plant, and toad lillies. The irisies that I have are pale purple, would you like those also? Judy

o

Judy- I'd love the purple iris if you have some to spare.
See you there!

o

Ok - I'll bring you some pale purple irises also. I'll dig those the morning of the swap.

o

We are relatively new to the area and still in the process of setting up our garden, but our plant collection is slowly reaching a point where we'll start having some excess items to exchange (with more to come in the future), so this may be a good opportunity to announce our existence :-) to the Triangle gardening community.

In our garden we are dealing mostly with full sun and dry areas, so Mediterranean-type of xeriscaping is our major interest (including lawn replacement).

Below is the current version of our trade list. We are not certain yet whether we'll come to the Swap, so please let us know if interested.

Seeds I have to trade:

Acacia baileyana
Arabis alpina
Cleome spinosa 'Helen Campbell'
Datura metel 'Mranaha'
Eucalyptus cinerea
Fatsia japonica
Ginkgo biloba
Herniaria glabra
Hibiscus coccineus
Iris pseudacorus
Lavandula angustifolia
Lobelia cardinalis
Lobelia siphilitica
Punica granatum
Punica granatum var. nana
Ruta graveolens
Thymus citriodorus
Tithonia speciosa 'Torch'

Seeds I am looking for:

Agave havardiana
Asparagus meyeri
Coffea arabica
Cyathea cooperi
Dianthus barbatus var. nigrescens 'Sooty'
Eucalyptus neglecta
Iris chrysographes
Olea europea
Opuntia imbricata
Zantedeschia aethiopica

Plants I have to trade:

Delosperma dyeri
Delosperma nubigenum
Eucalyptus cinerea
Eucalyptus gunnii
Jasminum officinalis 'Frojas'
Lobelia cardinalis
Lobelia siphilitica
Pratia penduculata = Isotoma fluviatilis
Sedum hakonense 'Chocolate Ball'

Plants I am looking for:

Antennaria dioica
Athyrium niponicum var. pictum
Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red'
Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'
Cyperus albostriatus
Cyperus giganteus
Euphorbia 'Black Bird'
Genista pilosa
blue Hosta
Hypericum cerastoides
Iris 'Caesar's Brother'
Iris 'Superstition'
Melianthus major
Muehlenbeckia axillaris
Oncostema peruviana
Phlox 'Emerald Blue'
Pleioblastus distichus 'Mini'
Tanacetum densum var. amanum
Waldsteinia ternata

Here is a link that might be useful: For trade list updates see

o

CasaLester - I'm not sure if they grow well from cuttings but I have a nice, healthy bottlebrush that more than likely is a 'Woodlanders Red'. I bought it years ago and didn't keep track of the tag. I remember at the time thinking it should do well in Raleigh because it was from South Carolina (Woodlanders is in Aiken, but it may be a variety from Clemson University, they both released bottlebrushes). Anyway, I can give you cuttings if you want to try it.

No one I know has been able to keep Honeybush (Melianthus major or minor) alive in this area. They'll do fine for a year or so then give up during one of our hot summers. They want cool weather all the time.

o

Hi CasaLester. If you make it to the swap I can trade phlox 'Emerald Blue' for your sedum 'Chocolate Ball' if you'd like.

o

I just realized that I can make it to the swap this year!! My posted list of plants available is fairly current. But I have to get moving on this. All I have potted up so far are Tall Purple Asters, Helebores, Sensitive Fern, Woodland Poppies, and Creeping Jenny. Dogridge, I can bring a Helebore for you as well as Woodland Spurge (Euphorbia). The Spurge grows well in dry shade. I can always use some Shasta Daisy in exchange.

Laura

o

Ok. Let me try again. Hello. I am trying to figure this website out. I have a list I am working on for trades to people. Please see my member page.

http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/lisianthuslover

o
Laura: Trades for Raleigh Spring 2013 Swap

Thank you Laura!
I'l bring some shata's for you.

o

ok, i haven't been on here in ages, but i'm excited about the swap! Haven't had any time yet to dig, but it's on the agenda for next week.

Krystol, i have a bunch of stuff you were interested in- hellebores orientalis and another one, not sure of the parentage right off but the foliage is gorgeous, with greenish blooms, i have 4 or 5 kinds of mints i can get you some of (apple, pepper, spear, mountain, banana), lots of different small sedums, euphorbia oblongata?, and a couple kinds of toadlily. i'mmost interested in your yarrow, strawberries, and what type of raspberry do you have?

Ralph- i know we had some trades last fall, and for the life of me i can't find my list. You don't recall what i had down for you, do you? I think i still have them. Seems like maybe cyclamen hederifolium seedlings was one? i also have seeds for a squash you HAVE to try- cushaw. It's like pumpkin, but shaped like a giant fat crookneck, and tastes like concentrated pumpkin. so yummy. I'm interetsed in some of your figs (for me and/or the garden)- basically all of them except celeste. i'd also love to get some jerusalum chokes for the garden, and walking onion for me. I don't know what you need or want that i may have. So glad you're back- we missed you!!

I'm hoping some folks will be bringing edibles, since i'd like to get some for me and the Garner Grows garden i'm part of. John, what kind of berries are you bringing?

in general, i have most of what's on my trade lists still available to dig or take cuttings from. i can't figure out how to update them right now, sorry. I know i have some 'marion stewart' abutilons rooted that are ready, some jap maple seedlings, hellebore orientalis seedlings, rudbeckia triloba, phlox divaricata, and some of the other kind- not sure what the parentage is, but it's similar to some plant delights sells (not feotidus or niger). also, seedlings of orange jewelweed, perilla seedlings, and other assorted stuff coming up if anyone wants some. Some of the stuff i'm most likely to bring are: rudbeckia trilobea (brown eyed susan), common dogwood seedlings, 'country girl' mum (single pink), silver edge mum (yellow button flowers), 'silver king' artemesia, phlox divaricata (woodland phlox), hibiscus coccinea (star of texas hibiscus; large red flowers), verbena bonariensis (verbena on a stick), 'lipstick' salvia, dianthis japonica, campanula 'cherry bells, 'san carlos' salvia, helleborus orientalis (lenten rose), 'marion stewart' abutilon, 'amethystina' tricirtus (speckled toadlily), malvaviscus drummundii (turk's cap hibiscus), carolina jessamine, heliotrope amplexicaule (creeping heliotrope), manettia inflata or cordifolia (firecracker vine), ruellia (mexican petunia), aquilegia canadensis (columbine), amsonia tabernaemontana (blue star), spirea (old fashioned bridal wreath).

o

Tammy - I've potted up some of those black raspberries that out perform every other berry plant in my garden. Sold to me as 'Cumberland' but no body at NC State believes it. I have some red raspberries too. Some wineberries (hmmm wonder where I got those?). Some 'Chandler' strawberries in pots - there's more in the pathways waiting to be dug. I have a Goji for you. Things I doubt I will have time to dig and pot up but we can share them later - jerusalem artichokes, cardoons, Adams Elderberry, red raspberries, black raspberries, strawberries.

o

Laura,

Can I get a Rattlesnake Plantain - Goodyera pubescens? I've potted up several of the varigated money plants for you.

o

Hi CasaLester,

You have some great plants on your list. I would love to get a Lobelia siphilitica. I can bring you a blue hosta or you can take a look at my list and see if there's something else you would prefer.

This is a fantastic plant swap. I've been making the trip from Winston-Salem for 5 years. I always come away with great plants and the folks are really wonderful. I hope you can make the swap.

o

John- that's wonderful! i want to try some of those black rasps for me as well as the garden! :) And some chandlers. wouldn't have a clue where that wineberry came from ;) anything i can get for you?

o

No Tammy - I need nothing else to plant. It will take me the rest of the summer just to get what I have now in the ground. Too many holes to dig.

o

LOL, John! me, too, honestly. I'm not looking for much. Just a few things i need to round out things. But berries are soooo tempting and my strawberries have mostly died out. They are trying to get them going in the garden, too.

o

Fall is a good time to plant them and if everything goes like it did last year I will have plenty to dig out of the aisles of the kitchen garden. 'Chandler' isn't my favorite (tho widely planted and raved about) but it does very well for me. All the disease issues I have with it are my own fault - too many plants crammed up against each other. The newly formed Triangle Fruit and Nut Club will be touring my place next month and they may dig up any strays this Spring but there will be more over the summer. The potted up ones I'm bringing to the swap were dug up and potted in February, some of them are blooming already so they should make berries soon.

o

I have to share: 1. bearded iris [yellow][ bronze] and dark purple. 2.muhly ornamental grass.pink and white.
3.Hosta plantaginea
4.6 pk. castor bean plants
5.6.pk Chinese lantern
6.No thorn blackberry vine.
7.Lilium [lily] red [outside]
8.zebra grass
9.dz.cosmos[ orange]
10; 6 pk blackeyed susans

o

triangeljohn, Do you have extra cardoon? Anything on my list you might be interested in? plantbug

o

I have Lobelia cardinalis (red cardinal flower) and Saxifraga stolonifera (strawberry begonia) if anyone is interested.

Ralph, I'm bringing you both of the stargazer hydrangeas. I was unable to get the lady in red to root. Possibly, I can bring that to the fall swap. See if there's something else off my list that you would like.

o

I have Lobelia cardinalis (red cardinal flower) and Saxifraga stolonifera (strawberry begonia) if anyone is interested.

Ralph, I'm bringing you both of the stargazer hydrangeas. I was unable to get the lady in red to root. Possibly, I can bring that to the fall swap. See if there's something else off my list that you would like.

o

elsie, i would love to get some of the pink or white muhly grass for the garden. Do you know which blackberry you have? What would you like in trade?

o

Tam,I don't know the name for the blackberry.I'll bring you both grasses and blackberry.I'd like to get a cracker vine and jap.maple. Thanks

o

elsie, i can't guarantee a firecracker vine- they weren't up the other day, but if they come up this week, which is likely, i can get one. a japanese maple is yours! anything else in case that doesn't work? thanks!

o

plantbug - I have plenty and more keep sprouting (lesson learned, never toss the old flower heads in the debris pile). Just bring something native for wetlands that I'll bring to Brenda's river project. I'm losing my shade area now that my monster oaks are dying so I don't need any more natives. The rest of my yard is full full full.

o

Does anyone have an Angel Trumpet available? My daughter brought one home from a swap last year and it served as the focal point for her garden.

I have Helebores, Euphorbia (Woodland Spurge), Woodland Phlox, Tall Purple Asters, Chinese Lanterns, Japanese Maple, Wild Ginger, Creeping Jenny, Monarda (Bee Balm), Horseradish, and Kennebec potatoes potted up. I have Large Cupped Daffodil Bulbs as well.

o

Does anyone have an Angel Trumpet available? My daughter brought one home from a swap last year and it served as the focal point for her garden.

I have Helebores, Euphorbia (Woodland Spurge), Woodland Phlox, Tall Purple Asters, Chinese Lanterns, Japanese Maple, Wild Ginger, Creeping Jenny, Monarda (Bee Balm), Horseradish, and Kennebec potatoes potted up. I have Large Cupped Daffodil Bulbs as well.

o

trianglejohn:
Thank you for offering your Callistemon cuttings. A number of sources state that they do root well, but they all recommend semi-hard material so the chances of success would be greater if they were taken in the fall. Would it be O.K. with you to revisit this matter ahead of the Fall Swap (if we see you planning to attend)?
Thanks for the tip about Melianthus - looks like it is squeezed here both on the cold and the hot side so we may have to deprioritize it.

hollyclyff:
We'll have Sedum 'Chocolate Ball' for your Phlox 'Emerald Blue'. Please note that while 'Chocolate Ball' resembles Sedum rupestre, it is by no means as vigorous as its popular varieties 'Angelina' and 'Blue Spruce', at least in full sun locations.

jdbheartease:
We'll bring a number of seedlings of Lobelia siphilitica that were grown over the winter and are just starting to accelerate. A blue Hosta in exchange would be great, unless the Horsetail from your swap list includes Giant Horsetail (Equisetum giganteum), which would be even better.

o

ralphw...Thai one on and/or Australia canna lilies sounds awesome. Please let me know what I can trade you.

Right now I have a tall white phlox, yellow coreopsis, green medium hosta, yellow chrysanthemums, burro's tail sedum and a different greenish yellow sedum, orange day lily potted up.

Dogridge...I am interested in you roof iris. I have spear mint? sedums (3 different kinds) see list above, purple bearded irises and white jasmine. I need info on the best way to bring white jasmine...are the cuttings ok?

Also, my cats decided to play tag around my wood spurge. What is the best way to save individual stems...in water or root hormone to soil???

o

I can bring you some wood spurge in exchange for some tall white phlox if you'd like. The spurge (Euphorbia) is already potted up.

Laura

o

lisianthuslover - I don't know about wood spurge but most Euphorbias like their stems dried out so that the wound isn't leaking, before they'll root. Most of the similar plants I grow only seem to root from the tips of the broken branches and not from the bases (seems odd to me).

Casalester - I'll be at the Fall Swap. My bottlebrush is getting ready to bloom soon but it's biggest show is from October to December (often still in bloom for Christmas). Mine is in a somewhat sheltered spot and has no problem with our weather. If I find any branches that have accidentally rooted on their own I will pot them up for you in the mean time.

Tony Avent of Plant Delights Nursery had a Melianthus major that survived for a while, it may even still be alive. Just keep in mind that when they are grown outside of their preferred climate they get leggy and lanky and have none of the grandeur that they have out west. Besides, they stink and take up a lot of space, so you really don't want one.

o

Tammy-

I'll take whatever you have to offer. Top of the list would be helebores and mint.

I'll bring a big yarrow plant, strawberries (not sure wht type) and raspberries if you want them. I don't know the type, but they fruit in summer and are red. They have thorns.

Elsiefay- I'd love the orange cosmos and purple iris. Is there anything from my list you are interested in?

Lisianthus- I have plenty of roof iris, so I'll bring you a bunch. I'd love the purple iris, white jasmine cuttings, mint and green/yellow sedum. Let me know if there is anything else I can bring you.

Carole- I have your cherry belles, solomom's seal and ginger. I'd love the hellebores and tiarella.

THanks all!

Krystol (dogridge)

o

Krystol,orange cosmos and purple iris is yours.I would like raspberry plant and campanula cherry bells. thanks!

o

I do have angel trumpets [yellow]

o

krystol, that sounds good. maybe a couple smaller yarrows instead of one big one- i think i'll take them out to the community garden. strawberries & red raspberries are great!

iamcgowa- i have an angel trumpet i can bring. not sure if it's the white/yellow/apricot progression one or the one that ends up more of a pinkish color than apricot, but it's one of the 2. Love to get some horseradish.

john, just make sure you do throw artichoke flower heads in the trash! i want lots of those. ;) cardoons are pretty, but not so sure i want to grow them if i don't get a choke out of it.

o

I would dearly love a blooming-size coral honeysuckle. We are selling our home and mine is too big to transplant. I could take cuttings but I wouldn't get blooms at "our new place" next year, wherever that may be! Let me know if you've got one and what you might want. I just might have it. ;-)

Btw, Ralph, I'm bringing your rock phosphate.

Carla

o

Tamelask I'll bring the horseradish in exchange for the Angel Trumpet, thanks.

Elsiefay I'd love to have your Angel Trumpet as well. Perhaps then my garden will get as many compliments as my daughter's! Is there anything on my list tht you are interested in? I just updated it. Thanks again.

o

Krystol Thank you. I am interested in your mayapple, redbud saplings, strawberries, definitely creeping jenny, and ginger plant. I will bring all that you requested to the side for trade. Great! I also have bee balm potted up.

o

Carla - if there is any way to get a 'Major Wheeler' honeysuckle, grab it. It's a form of the native Coral Honeysuckle that was found out on the coast by a faculty member at either Merideth or Peace College. Mine blooms ALL YEAR LONG! It can look a little ratty in the winter but it still has some blooms on it. I won't garden without one now.

o

Lamcgowa,I,'ll have you an angel trumpet! If you have a split leaf Japanese red maple.If not the coreopsis [orange] will be great thank you.

o

I have pumpkin tree. It's really a bush,gets 3' -4' loaded with tiny pumpkins in the fall.About the size of a small apple.I put the around my mailbox.So neat .

o

I have a few fans of remontant/reblooming iris (purple) and a couple of encore azaleas.

o

Ratgirl, I'd love an encore azalea. What color is available? Please check my trade list and let me know what you're interested in.

Thanks,
Laura

o

CasaLester, I have your blue hosta potted up. I believe the horsetail that I have is the Equiisetum Hymale. Let me know if you would like to try some of it. It can aggressive.

o

Hello ratgirl. I am interested in your reblooming irises. Please see my trade list. The azalea would be nice too.

o

Hi,
I'm looking for different colors of bletilla (chinese ground orchid). I have purple, if anyone is interested in doing a swap.

o

jdbheartease: We'll stick with the blue hosta. We're looking specifically for the supersized 'Jurassic Park' effect of E. giganteum. Plant Delights introduced it this year so we will try it from them - in a container first, as it is rated only 8b.

How many blue lobelia seedlings will you need? There are about a dozen of them in a 4x6" germination container - this is enough to start a sizable clump spacing them at least 6-12" apart. If you want to use the whole dozen we'll just bring the whole bunch as they are. Otherwise, we'll separate them to add the extras to the general exchange pool.

o

CasaLester,
Four of the seedlings should be plenty.

o

Laura: the azalea is a light pink. how about the wood spurge?

Lianthuslover: Are your hellebores something other than the light pink/white? I've been wanting some different colors. Also, you can never have too many celandine poppies. I'll bring an azalea and some iris for you.

o

carla, i can bring you seedlings of my dark purple hellebore. no guarantees, of course, they are floozies, but i've had reliable luck with the seedlings being dark too. Some have speckles (it doesn't). It's got fairly short flower stalks, so plant it high or prune the leaves in winter so you can see the flowers.

john, my native coral honeysuckle blooms nearly 9 mos or more. i'm not surprised they found one that's nearly everblooming. i often still have blooms at christmastime. Carla, i've found it's easier to start from a dug one or seed than cuttings. maybe i just picked the wrong kind of wood, or the wrong time, though. I'll see if mine has a place near the base where it's sprouted up or air layered that i could dig.

elsie, i am very interested in your pumpkin bush. is it hardy? also, i did get a nice clump of the firecracker vine- it's just barely emerging.

Iamcgowa, got it, thanks!

off the top of my head, i know i'm bringing trifoliate orange 'flying dragon' seedlings, phlox divarcata, lots of aquilegia canadensis, tricostemma 'blue curls', horehound, perennial sweet peas, dianthus japonica, some tiny jap maple seedlings, rudbeckia triloba, malvaviscus drummondii, alsromeria (the red & green one), cerastium plumbagoidies (groundcover), purple shiso/perilla seedlings, euphorbia, campanula 'cherry bells', hellebore seedlings, and whatever else i can get dug out before sat.

o

Ratgirl. I think you have me and Laura confused. I do not have what you asked for but maybe a wood spurge. My cat played tag around it the other day and i was wanting to salvage the stems that ripped off. I had them in water but John said they needed dry end to root. Excuse me I am a daughter of a greenn thumb mother and she gave me half her talent so I am still learning. I have a delicate trailing lavendar blooming violet potted that I rooted but let me see what I ccan do. I am definitely excited about the light pink azalea and irises thank you so much. Cannot wait to dig in my gardens.

o

Ratgirl I'm planning to bring you a Euphorbia (Wood Spurge) for an Encore Azalea

Lisianthuslover I'm planning to bring some Euphorbia for you as well for Tall White Phlox.

I THINK I'm done potting plants up. If anyone would like anything else on my list, just let me know.

Thanks, Laura

o

Tam,A pumpkin bush is yours.Thanks

o

I have yellow reblooming iris.

o

Lisianthus: Sounds like Laura is bringing me a wood spurge so don't worry about that. Is trailing violet a house plant? Never heard of it. When I googled it I got a few hits on African violet. I'm not too good with house plants. Got any hosta left? I'll take a chance that it will be something different from what's in my collection.

o

Ralphw,I sure would like to have one of your:portulaca grandiflorce.See-u-there

o

Elsiefay, Can I get some of your yellow reblooming irises? Please take a look at my list and see what I have that you would like. Judy

o

I'm going to be able to come this spring. I don't have much to bring though. I have some extra pots that I'll bring in case anyone needs them. I also have a few named daylilies that are looking for new home - various colors, but mostly yellows; and several iris Earl of Essex that is a wonderful purple and white bicolor. Like someone else said not really looking for plants to plant. BUT I am always looking for variegated sedums and would love a red hot poker plant.

o

Hey County Girl,
Glad you can make the swap. I'd like to get an Earl of Essex iris from you. I'll pot you up a varigated sedum for the iris. Judy

o

Judy, I'm going to dig up 6 or so of the E of E. You can have a couple. They multiply fast.

I have gathered up two large bags of various size pots that really need a new home. I have sources that save me pots every year.

o

Ralph, I made the mistake of sitting my little Purple Stripe Angelonia outside - thought it was protected but apparently it wasn't. So if you have an extra one, I would really love it. Or Cuttings would work.

o

Judy,I potted you a yellow reblooming iris.I would like one of your cardinal plants.thanks.

o

2 oak leaf geraniums.If anyone would like one.

o

ralphw:
Among a number of very interesting items on your very impressive list, we are particularly interested in Lysimachia congestiflora 'Persian Chocolate', as it would provide exciting contrast to L. nummularia 'Aurea' that has worked very well for us in a number of settings. We clearly face the problem of what does one offer to someone who seems to have everything :-) , but if you are looking for scented thymes we have some extra seeds of Thymus citriodorus (species).

o

Elsiefay i would like a geranium. Please tell me what to bring for you from my list. Thank you!

o

Lisianthuslover, I'll have one for you.I would like to have some verbena please.

o

Hi Ralph,
I just saw the message about the Lysimachia congestiflora. Both of the Lysimachia congestiflora, Outback Sunset and Persian Chocolate, that I got from you, have done very well in my garden. If it’s not too late, I would like to get a small pot of the Golden Globe from you. I’m just trying to figure out, what to bring you. I have dwarf comfrey and salvia lyrata purple knockout, if you’re interested in one or both of those? Judy

o

Tammy, i will bring some things for you & what you do not want we can put out for gen distribution.
ElsieFay, i have a Portulaca for you. I sould like seed of your Impatiens, cosmos & sunflower mix.
CasaLester, I will bring you a couple of Lysimachia 'Persian Chocolate' for Lobelia siphiltica, Pratia penduculata and either/or both of the ice plants. I can bring you a Lobelia car. 'Queen Victoria' or whatever else you would like from my list.
Country Girl, it is great that you are coming. My Angelonia mostly died over winterand the surviving ones are unlabeled, so I do not know yet if one of the 'Purple Stripe' survived or not.
Kristol, I will bring you some Bavarian Ivy' a toad lily, a hardy Begonia and a Mexican Sage. I am not sure yet if my Salvia 'Costa Rica Blue' survived or not. Perhaps another blue-flowered one?

o

Here's the veggies I'm bringing.
Tomatoes:
Black Cherry
Choclate Cherry
Cherry Sungold
Cherry Sugar Lump

Also
Paul Robeson
Ace 55

Eggplants:
Aubergine
Korean
Fengyeng Purple
Fairytail
and a herloom Green

Peppers:
Paprika Sarok Sari
Paprika Alma
Paprika Cecei
Hot Brigits Locoto
Hot Japone
Medium Peppadew
sweet Criola de Cocina
Sweet Corbaci
Oriental Santaka
Spanish Spice
and Pepperone Calabrese

Let me know if anyone is interested in a specific before I throw them into the general mix.

o

Ralph,I'll bring you your seed.Thank-U

o

Elsiefay I have your verbena potted. It is a Lavender Frappe. Thank you.

I have a couple more lavender verbenas available if anyone wants one.

I was looking for some peach, magenta, or red Alstromeria.

Ratgirl I do have 2 different hostas potted up. You can choose or you can go for the house plant...it is an easy one, the trailing african violet.

o

Lorabell, Could I please have a couple of your cherry sugar lump tomatoes.I'll let you take your choice when we get there.Is that ok?

o

Thanks Ralph! Any extra blue salvia would be great.

o

Elsie,
OK

o

ralphw:
Glad that you found something from our list. We willl get you all four: blue Lobelia, Pratia, and two Delospermas (yellow and pink/orange flowers).
It would be great if you could give us also Athyrium niponicum, Petasites japonicus 'Nishiki-buki', and Lamium maculatum in addition to Lysimachia 'Persian Chocolate'.

o

Lisianthuslover, I would like one of the lavender Verbena if you have one left available. I have the 3 dark leaf Cannas for you. The third is 'Thai Rainbow', not 'Thai One On'.
Lorabelle, I am interested in one or two each of the tomatoes Sungold, Black Cherry, Chocolate Cherry and Ace 55; Any of the eggplant except Fairy Tale; and any of the not too hot peppers..
Judy, I will have to bring you cuttings of 'Golden Globes. I will take a S. lyrata.
CasaLester, I will bring you the Painted Fern, Coltsfoot and Dead Nettle. Do you want the Lobelia cardinalis 'ueen Victoria'?

o

Ralph would be glad to give you a lavender verbena. Thank you for the dark leaf cannas. The thai rainbow looks cool in pictures. which is your favorite?

o

everyone- we have a funeral to attend right before, so even though i'd like to be there at 1 to get the special trades knocked out, i'm not so sure we'll be there by then. We'll get there as soon as we can, but definitely before 2. If for some reason, we come close to the general swap, i'll do the specials after it. Just put all of my stuff by a tree or something.

ralph, thank you so much! Looking forward to seeing you- it's been too long. I have a nice size (3 year, probably) cyclamen hederifolium potted up for you with a bunch of seedling pearls that are already dormant. And i'll bring the cushaw seed.

lisianthus, i am bringing 2 pots of a red and green alstromeria. They don't look so great now, but they should do ok. let me know if you want me to set one aside; not sure if i'll have time to look in the am.

lorabell, i'd love to get one each of the 3 cherries- sungold, black cherry and choc cherry. If any of the eggplants is a long skinny type, i'd love one. and as far as peppers, i'd love 1 of whatever you have available, but i don't want to be greedy. Just whatever you have extras of. If you see anything i mentioned for the general swap that i'm bringing that you'd like, holler and i'll set it aside for you.

o

Ralph - I've got the 2 stargazer hydrangea and the salvia Lyrata that I'm bringing you. Do you want a dwarf comfrey - it's a real cool plant?

o

Ralph
OK, got yours marked. Also added a tumbling tom yellow and a pearl drop,
And I have those perslane seeds, yes they are edible.

o

Tamelask that would be wonderful if you put an alstromeria aside for me.

Sorry for your loss. We will see you there. Take care.

o

o

Tamelask,
I've put aside a black cherry and Sungold. No more Choc cherry but will bring a tumbling tom yellow and pear drop as well.

I have the long thin eggplant...will bring

And some peppers, I'll set aside a mix for you.

Perannual flowers are what I wish, (I spelled that wrong, blame the chardoney) Thanks

o

I hope someone needs pots! I brought a big stack of 3 gallons and two bags of smaller! Don't really want to take the back home as I have more than I need left over! I believe these are the named daylilies: Apricot Jade, Gus Blankenship, Chartreuse Magic, Shinto Etching, Easy Ned, Rainbow Candy, Jean Wise, Mayan Gold, Catherine Woodbury, Buried Treasure, Little Cadet, and Tuscawilla Dave Talbot. Some yellows, a peachy apricot, 4 bicolor, a lavender, and Gus B is a nice red. Easy Ned is a yellow spider.

o

Countrygirl, Can I get a Gus Blankenship, Rainbow Candy and a little cadet daylilly? I potted up a green and white varigated sedum for the EE Iris. In exchange for the daylillies, would you be interested in any fo the following: yellow and green varigated sedum, funky color iris thats beige with orange & black (coffee trader?), pale purple irises, chinese foxglove (rhemannia elata) or ompatiens arguta. I'm trying to think of things that I already have potted up or easy to dig in the morning.

o

ralphw:
Thanks, we already have a red lobelia, so no need to pot the 'Queen Victoria' for us.

o

Lisianthus-- got your azalea and iris boxed up. looking forward to seeing the hostas!

o

Judy. Yes, the ompatiens arguta and any sedums as long as they are not the common green ones. Some of the daylilies can be split, some are small. You can have your pick first

Gail.

o

Gail, I'll bring you the varigated green & yellow sedum and also the the ompatiens arguta. If there is anything on my list that you want let me know.
See ya tomorrow.

o

countrygirl and judy - could i have a little gus b too?? I hope you find something that you do not have to take from me. i can probably take a few smaller pots off your hands.

tamelask I have some bamboo(not sure what kind yet) and/or I can bring you some red dianthus slips for the alstromeria

Laura I have the tall white phlox pulled for you. thank you for the wood spurge.

Ratgirl I looked and I have a several hostas. what do you already have?

see you all tomorrow.

o

I'll let Judy decide if she wants to split Gus B, because somehow Little Cadet didn't make it to Raleigh. I think Gus B has about three fans.

o

Judy, you can have any of the others that you may want. Catherine Woodbury is a lovely clear lavender and I like Chartreuse Magic - it is yellow with a green tinge.

isianthuslover, I am not really looking for any plants. You can have as many pots as you want. I really really don't want to take any home.

By the way I bought the Always Afternoon at Park Seed flower festival and think it may have been mislabeled

o

o

Countrygirl, I'm thrilled to hear that someone is bringing named varieties of Daylillies! I have a huge bed of Daylillies on the shore of a lake in WS. Unfortunately, I've brought home too many unknown colors from swaps (mostly orange). I would love an Easy Ned, Apricot Jade, Jean Wise, Lavender, and whatever else you are willing to provide. Please check my list and let me know what you would like.

Thanks, Laura

o

I pulled out Easy Ned, Apricot Jade, and Jean Wise for you. You can have the C Woodbury if Judy doesn't want it. The only thing I would want is some Hellebores

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here