Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

o
WANTED: Raleigh Swap April 29

Posted by brenda_near_eno Z7a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 1, 06 at 6:16

Creech Road Elementary School Park on the north side of Garner on Saturday April 29th from 11am til 2pm, per John, the master of all things plant-y at the Carolina GW.

So can we start our want lists and special trades? Pretty please?
I'm searching for:
EE (any besides Illustris and Black Magic)
Acanthus (bear's breeches)
Bergenia
Toothwort
Winter Jasmine
Spigelia
Viburnums
Asters
Obedient Plant
And most anything else that will grow in zone 7 dappled shade!

So far, I've put aside to bring:
seedlings of Prunus mume 'Kobai' flowering apricot
Buddleia 'Honeycomb' and 'Dark Knight'
Bronze Fennel
Salix, corkscrew willow, rooted cuttings
hydrangea macrophylla,'nikko' (blue)
Crocosmia 'Lucifer' (bulbs)
Globe Thistle
Foxglove
Perennial Silene
Lots of natives, so let me know if you want a special trade now, so I can pot up while they're still dormant

Arwen, I'm glad to see your recent post - DUMC hasn't killed you yet! And Ralph, let me know what you're bringing, cuz it's always special.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Raleigh Swap April 29

Brenda - I got these elephant ears from a friends flowerbeds in upstate SC. I don't know what they are but they look more like an Xanthoma than a Colocasia or Alocasia. They get massive in one season. They are the same size as the monster ones that PDN sells but the leaves look like 'Lime Zinger' in shape but are the regular green. Winter kills the mama but tons of babies sprout from the roots the following spring. Are you only looking for hardy EE's?

One of these weekends I intend to go plot the quickest road ways to get to the park - you know how I am about giving directions. Otherwise, everything posted so far is true. Remember the parking lot is wide open so we could trade in the parking lot if you have so much to bring that you don't want to haul it up to the shelter - or we could limit the shelter to general swap and leave special trades at our cars...

I have so many plants to swap and so many seedlings, my list will be endless. My native seedlings are just now coming up and there don't appear to be many of them.

o

John, I'd love one of those pups! What are you looking for? I have lots not on my list too - are you still into the viola thing? How about a rooted Euphorbia 'Jade Dragon' cutting? Tropicals again?

o

**brenda**???
you got the prunus mume to root??
oh wow....

now i have to go figure out again if i even have somewhere that i _could_ plant a tree.

but i might just bug you for a silene, maybe a hydrangea.

i'm thinking of bringing a couple ice plant babies. maybe some celosia, but that depends.

now i *have* to go back to work or dumc *will* eat me up! ; )

o

I am also looking for elephant ears.
castor beans
forsythia
flowering almond bush
Don't have much to trade/swap but I am working on it !

o

mmm, maybe can do castor beans. i have castor bean plant seeds...

o

Brenda - I've got a few viola seeds I need to sow and I am looking at those Parma Violets someone had in their catalog (I get them all) - so I guess the viola thing is not over by a long shot.

I am looking at more natives - mostly ground cover/shade growing types. And I am always on a mission to find anything that will grow in bright shade that takes over the world. My shady areas (the bulk of my yard) just look like a garden of mulch with a few specimen plants stuck here and there. I want swaths of plants. Due to the low soil nutrition and tree root dominance I pretty much have to sink pots into the ground to keep anything alive. So I enjoy things like Plectranthus and funky leaved Hedera helix which, though living and 2-3 gallon pot have a wide spread up and over the mulch.

I'll pretty much take anything that is happy in a local garden. I have a ton of tropicals and delicate plants.

o

Hey everybody(big wave) The 29th works for me. I don't know what I'll be bringing except my MIL. Whatever will fit into a pot I suspect. Well, except again the MIL. I'm not looking for anything this year. My dear MIL has newly discovered gardening so I'll be swapping my stuff for new starts for her. She has a very sunny yard so any suggestions are welcome. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

TJ- Sorry we can't have it at our park, I needed to go scope it out. My daughter is looking for a site for an outdoor wedding. I don't remember, is there a lake there?

-Jennifer

o

this park is next to a school; no lake. the place we normally have swapped is a few miles away and next to a lake. dunno if they rent for weddings, but it would be really pretty up there.

brenda, i have pink obediant plant- but forewarned- it's anything but obedient!! pretty as all heck, but a real spreader. let me know if you still want some. i lost the pennywort you dug for me last yr- can i get some more of it? i think all the other natives you got for me are ok.

john- i'd love one of those pups for the fair plot. what do you want me to bring? name it & it's yours.

arwen- which ice plant? i have lots of delosperma (the pink one), but would be interested in other colors.

leslie, i still have your aquilegia canadensis from the fall swap.

right now i'm definitely planning on bringing some winter honeysuckle cuttings. i'm winter sowing lots of things and will probably have extras of some stuff- but dunno what yet. i always have lots of annual seedlings come up of pink cosmos, orange cosmos, bidens, cypress vine, granpa ott's moring glory, purple perilla, yellow 4'oclocks and some others. if anyone wants a 6 pack please just let me know. i pull all of them out by the handfuls. oh, and i'll be bringing small 6 packs of hellebore orientalis babies again, too. always can dig up & bring aquilegia canadensis babies, cross vine, carolina jessamine, garlic chives, campanula 'cherry bells', leadwort(plumbago), misc sedums, 'fireworks' solidago, 'black & blue' salvia, s. uliginosa, purple fall aster, bronze pennistemon, mexican hats, rudbeckia triloba, verbena bonariensis, perennial sweet peas, sweet autumn clematis & butterfly pea. i would be happy to take cuttings of anything i have that's big enough & bring them along. i will try to root some roses before then, but am not sure they'll root well this time of yr. hopefully i'll get my stuff together later & post more 'haves' in an organized fashion.

i'll have to think about what i want & post again. off the top- any really neat coleus. bear's breeches. anything that does well in the part to full shade and is carefree- shrub or perennial. maple leaved viburnums springs to mind, as does fringe tree. corkscrew vine- i lost mine this past winter. :( ditto my firecracker vine- cursed miracle grow soil. any edible that makes for good lanscaping, too (unusual is good!). looking for 'nana' pomegranate.

tam

o

John, I've got seedlings of Viola koreana 'Sylettas' - if they don't damp off, I'll pot you up one of those - let me now if you already have that one. I already gave you cuttings of the only Plectranthus I have at the swap last fall- did they root up for you? I have lots of shady natives - what do you already have? I have plenty of native tiarella and heuchera if you like. Tammy, I'll watch for the pennyworts emerging. You gave me the pink obedient plant last year, and I lost it - it's agressive I know, but not in the spot I need it for. I am always happy to get a hellebore. The orientalis and one foetidus I got at swap last sprig are doing great - thanks. Arwen, the apricots are open-pollinated seedlings from 'Kobai' - still no luck rooting them, but I'm going to try again this year - all 3 of mine bloomed for 5 weeks before fading last month - spectacular, especially in my soil.

o

Tammy, i just have the pink ice plant. if i see other colors at a decent price, i'll pick it up and aim for babies -- saw whites yesterday at Logan's Trading but for $8 there was no way...

I have been going through & listing what I need to plant or want to plant, so I will eventually have a list of "wants". And THEN I'm going to order a bunch of stuff off the want list and trim the list. : )

Arwen

o

Yes Brenda the plect's rooted and are growing like gangbusters! Of all the various plectranthus out there the silver one and the variegated yellow/green one (often called Gold Coin, but there are others also) have proven the most hardy for me. I say hardy when I mean that they will survive a cool hoop house as opposed to a hot greenhouse. I have a few that I had to move indoors as houseplants just to keep them going but the silver ones you gave me last year have been strong, even in the cold corner of the hoophouse.

I have one small Hellebore foetidus to bring to the swap - nothing special, just the regular green flower one. It was a seedlings that got accidently weeded out of the flowerbed.

o

Hey guys! Yeah, it's me. I know you don't hear much from me, but I kind of get busy, what with gardening, work, and my soon to be 3 year old granddaughter! Yeah, Shannon, she'll be 3 on April 3rd!

Anyway, I potted up some Money plant yesterday and some Monarda and Brenda, I'm going out this morning to pot up some Obedient plant. Pink and White. I'm sure I'll have more, but just don't know what at this time. OH, some gingers for sure. Butterfly, Elizabeth and maybe some Dr. Moy.

John, how's it going? I'd like one of those EE pups, too, if you don't mind.

Later guys,

Vickie

o

Hi all -- Been in lurk mode. Can't wait for the swap. I've finally gotten everything out of pots from the spring '05 swap! I just posted a "have" list under the general exchange forum if you want to check it out. Also, I forgot to list that I have a couple of rooted 'Chuck Hayes' gardenias. Otherwise, you can see my trade list at http://burgess7.home.mindspring.com/wishlist05.html. Scroll down to "Carla" listings. I noticed there's another Carla here somewhere, so maybe I should call myself "Carla B." Or you can just call me "ratgirl." :-)

Carla B.

o

I'd like to suggest that we have a prize for the "Most Redneck Container". We could let the lucky winner pick the first plant. Since I cannot recreate the charm of my Spring 2005 Martha-Stewart-esque willow-in-a-cut-off-Tide-bottle, I'm anxious to see the exquisite taste and pot-poise of my fellow Carolina swappers.

o

Vickie, I'm going to bug you about those gingers... I have a few in the ground from last fall's swap and would love to add colors & variety.

Tammy, I think I was wrong about my delosperma. Mine is a mauve-purply-pinkish and if yours is _real_ pink then we should swap. I also just picked up a new (?) variety that is apparently purplish with a white center -- "starburst", i think.

Nancedar, are you going to bring any sedums? You got me started with your fall swap suggestions/swappers.

Brenda, wasn't that pelvis pot redneck enough? Anyway, I am going to try to prepare a good lightly shaded spot for a prunus, just have to figure out how to make sure the trees already present don't steal all it's water! Do hang on to a seedling for me, and I'll keep digging for something to trade... (I have a plant for you anyway -- I don't have enough shade for seleginellas -- but it's not in great shape so...)

Let's see... my current "bring" list is... delosperma (purplishh), and everything else depends on what roots or sprouts from here! I'm hoping my cuphea llava will sprout, and my melampodium should go gangbusters. Maybe some twinspur. : )!

I might stick some blue star creeper or blue spruce sedum in to root, or some more of that 'angelina' sedum. (I looove that sedum, btw. It must have been one of those random buys at Lowe's and it is so cool to see it orange/yellow/green in the sun.)

Arwen

o

Of course, TJ's ornamental grass in a pelvis pot WAS the scene stealer of all redneck pots, but the caliber of the pots at the fall swap was getting a bit too high fallutin'. I want to see more folks draggin in seedlings and rooted cuttings and divisions in paper cups and cut off soda bottles. Viva le swap!

o

haha! How 'bout clean yogurt cups? I have a whole stack...

However, everything I've planted so far has gone into seed trays -- at 49c a tray, I figured it was time to be bold about seeds... (Barnes Hardware on 9th St in Durham)

o

arwen, i'll be happy to bring some of my dela along. it's a hot magenta pink. if they turn out to be the same- no loss, right? i will be bringing assorted sedums. no names for the most part- i just lose track of those buggers, sorry. i'd be a taker for some blue star if you bring it. i didn't see anyone reference sellingellas but you. do you have or are you looking? i have lots of one that does fine in dryish areas(not sure of the species), but would love to get some more of the peacock variety for me to try in some different spots- it's an all time fave of mine. FINALLY got it going in my bog last yr. i have the golden form, too- which was happy under the hose drip til we fixed it. i dunno if it made it through the drought after that. good deal on the trays! what's twinspur?

some other stuff i'll be bringing is pink obediant plant, toadlilies(amethystina or something like that), small coneflowers and misc sedums. i'm sure i'll add more later as things keep popping up. tam

o

Just starting to dig a few things. I do have some Momarda/Bee Balm, but I'm not sure which one it is. Also going to pot up some of the Mexican Evening Primrose (pink). I also potted up a few white butterfly gingers last fall for the swap this year. More later as things start sprouting.

Does anyone have some Black and Blue Salvia or any Salvias that can handle zone 6? It'll be much cooler up in the mountains. Some of you know that my sis lost her dh last October and now had to have their dog put to sleep just today :::sniff::: due to liver disease. It needs to be "EASY" to care for, pretty much problem free and not invasive, as she's physically unable to chase this stuff. She loves natives and wild flowers, but I'm considering about anything real easy and low maintenance. She loves hummers so John's suggestion of the Black and Blue salvia would be nice! I have the moonflower, cardinal vine and cypress vine seed which I can sow, so don't need any of those. She has a porch that I'm trying to grow a lot of hummer plants in front of, for her to enjoy.

One bed I'm working on up there could use some shade loving plants, the rest are sunny. She says she has major slug problems but I'ld like to try a few hostas for her with coarse sand around the base. That seemed to keep them off my peppers last year.

Oh and someone requested some of the Reed Grass last fall and I promised you some this spring. Now if someone could just remind me of who that was? Dana was it you that asked for Toad Lilies? Am I forgetting amyone?

o

wow - there is lots of good stuff that will be at the spring swap - this will be our first spring one - we enjoyed the fall one so much that I started in the fall to get some plants going. So far we will have northern sea oats, obediant plant, bronze fennel, monarda (white and red), ajuga, liriope, boltonia, bog sage, native chrysanthium(sp), various other mums (will post colors later), red day lilies, stella d'oro day lilies, white yarrow, violets, gooseneck loosestrife, countless wintersown seedlings (haven't a clue what kinds - I sowed every seed in sight and certainly won't need them all).

I would LOVE EE's (any kind), gingers, sedums, hens and chicks, different grasses and anything native.....

Lynne

o

Deborah, what color are those toadlilies? I got some generic speckled ones but I'd still like some that are "different".
I can't think what I'm bringing. Probably won't know for a couple more weeks at least. It's hard to even remember what I have. Everything is still covered with leaves right now. I'm going to be mostly planting areas that are difficult to get water to next, so I'm especially looking for very drought tolerant stuff for sun and shade.
Dana

o

deb, i'd be happy to bring some black and blue for your sis. how sad! another one that's quite hardy is the bog sage. i like the 2 blues together. they are both a bit spready, but don't take over the world. somehow i think the colder weather will keep them in ck. i may end up with some hosta ventricosa seedlings- they always seed around- that i could pot up for her. i'll hvae little canadensis columbines, too.

i echo dana- what do your toads look like? i have amethystina i'm bringing, and a big white white purple speckles that flowers at each leaf joint and a smaller white white & purple speckles that flwers on the ends w/ golden leaf edges, at least in spring(not enough of those 2 yet to share). any others i'd love to get a chunk of- especially the ones with interesting foliage. amethystina has speckled leaves, btw. thanks, tam

o

I have some toads I can bring. Do you have 'Variegata' or 'Samurai'? The 'Amethystina' Tammy gave me is stunning - the leaves are so much more succulent-looking that any of the other toads I have. I'm always killing lobelia, obedient plant, and choc chip ajuga, so I'd be happy to get some more. Did someone have rice paper plant to share? What natives are of interest? I'm happy to bring them, but I won't dig them unless I have takers. I have lots of Christmas fern and tipularia orchid - and some of most anything else local in shorter supply. Tammy, I dug you pennywort - got a nice big multiple stem root this time. If anyone has purple fall aster, my seeds failed to germinate, so I'm begging. Nancy, do you want some redbuds - did those poor drought-plagued sticks I brought you last fall make it? Hey Cory, how about a spice bush for me? I was so busy ogling your incredible woods full of spring beauties and blooming spice bushes that I forgot to ask you for one.

o

How does one join in on the swap or is it private?

o

Everyone is welcome! Bring plants and food - it's a potluck! Welcome!

o

or, if you're a newbie & don't have anything to trade, just bring food & take home lots of plants anyhow. we do prearranged trades(what this is), and we also bring extra stuff & have a semi-organised free for all to swap that stuff. it's loads of fun. best benefit? you'll get to meet all these great folks!

brenda, thank you!! i'm excited about the pennywort. i have some fall booming purple aster that spreads at a good clip. matter of fact, some of the folks who got what i thought was perennial ageratum got the aster. i'd planted them very close & i assumed it was the ageratum going nuts(it was the ageratum that spread the first yr). i was embarrased when it started to bloom & i realized i'd been sending asters out rather than ageratums- so my apologies to any who've gotten one & wanted the other! anyhow, i'll be happy to bring you some. i'd love to get either the variegata or the samuri toadlily you have. it may be the same as the gold edged one i have, but i only have 1 area of it, and don't mind if it's a duplicate. if you want more amethystina, i have more- it seems to be the most aggressive spreader i have of my toads. tam

o

I don't think I have any of those toadlilies. The one I have has solid green leaves and white flowers with purple speckles. I had another, more solid purple one - Raspberry something or other - but it died. I have some choc chip ajuga.
Someone has spice bush? Are those lindera or calycanthus? I've been looking for lindera.
Dana

o

Dana - I meant to tell you that Niche had/has Iris foetidus. Or at least they did last fall. I had to ask for it and they pulled one from out back. When mine spreads I will share but it doesn't look likely to happen this year.

I have so many babies sprouting in the flower beds that I'm wondering when I will have time to dig everything up! Maybe we need a second swap one month after the first one - HA!

With this mild winter it looks like a lot of plants made it through that weren't supposed to. I even found some Syngonium (a TROPICAL!) still green and happy under the mulch.

o

Cory's woods have loads of Lindera. I'm going to note my special trades on My Page so I can keep track of what I owe to whom.

o

Brenda, I got a Tricyrtis "Samurai" at the Friends of the JCRA Plant giveaway last fall. I can divide it and bring some to the plant swap. The variegation is much more apparent on the new growth than when I got it last fall.

o

Dana, Tammy and Brenda, I think the toad lily I have is Lightening Strike or something like that. It has a variegated leaf. I'd love some of the others too!

Tammy, Thanks! Not sure why I hadn't thought of the columbine, but that'll work great! I'm excited about doing this. She has a beautiful mountain stream thru her property with wild flowers along the sides it. I'm wondering if the bog sage would do well there? Aside from that I'm working with a pretty blank slate, aside from the bones (bushes, trees and such). The 2 or 3 areas I'm concentrating on will give the most bang for her to enjoy with out having to go far.

Brenda, contact Dtp, she'll have plenty of rice paper plant. I should have some by fall,... mine is up and already leafed out! Still waiting on the babies.

o

Ralph! I also got 'Samurai' at the plant grab last year! Great plant addicts grab alike, I guess. What else did you get? How's the new greenhuse? The two calycanthus I grabbed - Sinocalycanthus chinensis and x Sinocalycanthus raulonii 'Hartlage Wine'- are leafing out now - thought I'd lost them over winter by planting the teeny things straight into the clay. Also grabbed Zephyranthes traubii 'San Carlos Form' - I have an acute addiction to all rain lilies, so I can always share some of those, if anyone wants some.

o

deb, i'd be real careful about bog sage near water. it can spread aggressively, and water's what it takes to do it. it needs sun, so if it's a shady stream that wouldn't work well. ditto physotegia. i may have enough turtle heads(chelone) to bring- that would do well. and lobelia- cardinal and sylvitica would, too. i don't have any of either to share, sorry. if mixed columbines are ok, i can probably scrounge quite a few babies for her. i have a bunch of different types. i can give her straight(or likely straight) canadensis, too. they all cross like crazy. i have seeds, too- she may want to scatter seeds around, as they seem to come better from seed anyhow. i'll have fresh seed come may/early june- if you want i could mail you some. if it's shady, the hellebore babies i'm bringing would do well, too. oh, and i have water myosotis(forget me not), which is very cold tolerant. it spreads- so be warned. mine's cut back a lot b/c of the drought last yr. also have water mint, if she's intersted- need i say keep it contained? :) we'll get her pretty little stream going great! let me know what you might be interested in. tam

o

Tam, Ummmm, I'm the one (or dh, lol) that would have to wade thru that snake infested area ::::shiver:::: to weed out the overgrowth so lets stick to the 'black and blue salvia' and any columbines. She has one area with enough shade near the house for shade loving type stuff. Which would be a good location for the columbines and the rest will go in the hummer bed I'm working on near the front of the house. I have never grown turtleheads, but they are beautiful so would love to try them for her (and me) in a couple places. Thanks! I just want to be really careful about giving her anything that would become a problem for her. Especially since I can't be up there to stay on top of it.

If I can pin her nephew (by marriage) down long enough I may discover some local natives for us. They have one native called a punc-tatum which is a native rhododendron. She says it looks like pink cotton candy when it blooms! Not sure if it could handle our heat and humidity is the only problem. Need to find out more about it.

o

Hey, everybody!
It's so exciting to think about another swap, and I'll be there with my sister if guilt doesn't get the best of me! (My son has a soccer game at noon that day. Perhaps a bribe for my son is in order...)

Anyway, I have some pinecone ginger to bring, as well as some Lysimachia congestiflora 'Persian Carpet', a couple potted peace lilies, some soldidago and probably some canna. I can also bring some blue spruce sedum. I may have some hosta, it depends on what pops up, and some daylilies, too. I may also have a Bear's Breeches, gotta check on that one.

I am looking for crinum, if anyone has any to share, as well as some calla lilies. I'd love a giant elephant ear, John, if your supply is not exhausted. ;-) Toad lillies are alway welcome!

Looking forward to it!

Sally

o

Lynnencfan, I have hens and chicks I'll bring for you. Different kinds.

Brenda, I have Rice Paper Plant and tons of Obedient Plant both pink and white for you. I'd like a couple of Hydrangea Maculata if you have some.

Tamelask, I'd like some of your cross vine if you don't mind.

If any one wants some Money Plant, I have lots of it, too. I have one Flowering Almond, a Cream colored Daylily, some Yellow German Iris, lots of Obedient plants, both pink and white, Mondarda, I think it's Jacob Cline, Gingers, Dr Moy, Elizabeth and Butterfly.

I'm sure I'll have more later.

Vickie

o

vickie, if you have some hens & chicks to spare i'd love some, too. i'll dig you up as much cross vine as you want. thanks, tam

o

Vickie, good to "see" you again! I'll pot up two variegated hydrangeas for you. Thanks in advance for the rice paper plant.

o

Tamelask, they're yours! I've got plenty. Just a couple of pieces of cross vine will be cool.

Brenda, woo hoo, thanks in advance for the hydrangeas. I'll start potting up rice paper plants now so they'll be good and rooted well before the swap and they'll have a better chance of surviving.

Thanks,

Vickie

o

Vickie - thank you so much for the offer of hens and chicks

I would love any form of ginger too - I got one last fall from the swap and kept it inside not being sure what to do with it but will plant it outside soon

I can add pink oxalis to my bring list - we dug up my clump the other day and I couldn't believe all the bublets on it so will pot them up.....

Lynne

o

Brenda, do you (or anyone else) have the wild/native witch hazel - Hamamelis virginiana?

I'm also still looking for........
Coltsfoot - tussilago farfara
Lobelia inflata
Ginseng/American - Panax quinquefolium L.
New Jersey Tea - Ceanothus americanus

o

Sorry, Deb, I have only one native witch hazel, and I had to buy it. I don't have any others on your short list either. I do have a bloodroot tuber potted, which will be dormant by swap time of course - it's a special baby, rescued from an area logged in January and almost eroded away. And I might be able to rescue a sassafras sapling - depends on if they leaf out in time and it can stand the transplant into a pot - they don't tend to like that.

o

I have Acanthus 'Summer Beauty' to share. To be honest it has not bloomed for me in the 4 years I have had it but it's probably my fault. I keep moving them around and they don't really like that. If you take one make sure you put it where you want it and be ready for it to spread out! It's also hard to remove it because the tiniest little piece sprouts. Now I have it in four separate locations because I moved it 3 times =) I think I will also have some 'Myazaki' toad lilies. If anyone really wants a coral honeysuckle let me know and I will try to dig one out. I am not sure what else I am going to have. -Ais.

o

Ais, I would love a 'Summer Beauty'. Do I have anything you would like to special trade for, or will you be bringing some for general swapping?

I might have a maple leaf viburnum or other native viburnums I could bring. I know there are some out in the woods, but I'll have to wait til they leaf out to id them. And then see if I can dig one up and get decent roots.

Also, does anyone have any mulberries? I've been raising silkworms to feed my daughter's bearded dragon and they only eat mulberry leaves or silkworm chow. The chow is expensive, so I thought I might plant a mulberry out back for the leaves.

Dana

o

Me too, me too, if there's a second acanthus, and I have something you'd like, Ais. I have some Phlox stolonifera 'Blue Ridge', native heuchera, and native tiarella.

o

Brenda, I have the blood root you gave me last year and would love another, but if someone else would like it (that doesn't have one) that's OK too. I know about Sassafras being fussy about transplants. If you can do it I'd love it but we can wait to fall if that's better for it.

Have you seen Phlox divaricata laphamii? The bloom looks like Phlox stolonifera 'Blue Ridge. I just got some of the Divaricata laphamii and love it!

P. Divaricata laphamii
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/images/low/X870-0901020.jpg

I need to update my list and figure out what you would like.

o

Brenda and Dana, I will definately mark an Acanthus for each of you and probably will have more (due to my adventures in moving it around). I am not picky what I get for them. Dana if you manage to get a Mapleleaf Viburnum I'll be happy to take that. Brenda either the Heuchera or the Tiarella would be great! See everyone there! -Ais.

o

ais- if you have more of the acanthus and see something i mentioned you'd like let me know. i'd love to swap some myazaki for amethystina, if you want some of it.

thanks, vickie. got you down.

dana- i would love a maple leafed viburnum- i think they are so pretty. small is fine. what would you like? i might have a mulberry small enough to transplant. they grow like weeds here. i don't know how easy they are from cuttings- but i'd be happy to bring some. i know they sure grow fast and are really hard to kill! silkworms, huh? where'd you find them to get started? we buy mealworms for our turtles, but i bet they'd like silkworms, too. i certainly have a ready supply of leaves! :) tam

o

I have been dividing plants this weekend. The following is a partial list of what I have available for the swap. Tricyrtis Miyazaki and a few Samurai (varigated). Colacasia Illustris and Black Magic. Impatiens Omeiana (perennial from China). Several varieties of mint, golden oregano and thyme. I have a large pot of mountain mint (pycnanthemum) that I can divide if anyone is interested. A couple of Trillium cuneatum and Celandine poppy. Lots of Penstemon and ginger lillies (White Butterfly), dwarf mondo grass, a rose & pink flowered lantana, pink flowered brugs and Salvia "Black and Blue". I am rooting some silver leaf Plectranthus that I bought unlabeled last fall at Home Depot. It looks like "Silver Shield" in PD's on-line catalog.I should have also a few Mexican Sage, Pineapple Sage and Sky Blue sage. I will add other stuff as I am sure that it will be available.

o

Tammy, I will definately reserve an Acanthus for you. I'd love the hellebores if they are still available, or I'd be happy with the campunula or leadwort. I'd be happy to trade toad lilies too.
Ralph I would LOVE to get one of those trilliums. I know I have a lot of named hostas so let me see what's poking up. I also have Agastache 'Blue Fortune' I can throw in. I know trilliums are valuable so let me know if we can make a fair trade. -Ais.

o

Dana, I do have you down for some toadlily. I looked it up and it is the T. hirta 'Lightning Strike,' with the variegated leaves.

o

Deb, do you have enough lightening strike for me too? If not, I would love either some hardy begonia or abultilion? I set aside pennywort and 2 bloodroot for you. Are you sure we are talking about the same pennywort? Both will be dormant by swap time I think, so pot of dirt will hardly look impressive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Obolaria virginica, pennywort

o

sure ais- you can have the cherry bells, leadwort, amethystina, and some baby hellebores.

deb, can i get some of the 'lightning strike' for the b&b & other stuff if you have enough? i just looked it up and it's, well, striking. :) i'm looking forward to lots of new toadlilies!

anyone have 'snow fairy' caryopteris to trade for? i was lusting after that one last fall. tam

o

Brenda, Hmmm, I thought it was the Pennywort (Centella asiatica), so don't need that one. Thanks for pointing out the Latin. I can dig some of the Lightning Strike TL and hardy begonia for you (HB will be a pot of dirt too) and will try to root some abutilon megapatomica for you, it's pretty easy. Love the bloodroots, Thanks!,... and if you have any extra toad lilies?

Tammy, Have you down for the TL and was working on a list to send you for some others. You like houseplants (don't ya?) and I just cut my Monstera delisciosa way back, and potted up the cuttings. I started one last fall for my daughter's boyfriend and it was easy. So, that may be a possibility for you. I also have some of the Red Ludwigea for an Aquarium, if you'd like some? It has very pretty reddish leaves and is fast growing!

o

Whoa Tammy, I didn't mean all of that! :o)
I meant to choose one. I'm not THAT greedy. I'll just take the Hellebores if that's ok. I'll take my luck at the general swap for the rest unless I find something else you want. -Ais.

o

Deb, bloodroots and toad lily for begonia and lightening strike TL. And sasafras for abutilion if we can. Done. Thanks!

Cory, I'm still lusing after a Lindera spicebush......

Ralph, what are we trading? What are you looking for? I also have the Impatiens Omeiana - love it. I grew some Impatiens zombensis from seed sent to me by "Mr.Impatiens" at Stybring BG - do you want one if they continue to grow? I would love one of your Celandine poppy.

Ais, I have a heuchera with your name on it. I am very excited to get a long-wished-for acanthus.

Keith, what are you looking for? I'd love a piece of your Lysimachia congestiflora 'Persian Carpet, if I have somthing you'd like.

o

Deborah, what would you like for 'Lightning Strike'?
I'll let you guys know as soon as I can about the viburnums. Tammy, I would love to get a mulberry (or two) if you have one you can dig up. I may have silkworm eggs or worms I could bring you by then. I have some close to cocoon stage now. I started out with worms I ordered and let some cocoon and then breed. They're easy to breed and much more nutritious than mealworms. Our turtle won't eat them, but she's really picky. She only eats earthworms and snails.
Dana

o

Ok Brenda, I've got you down for that! Thanks Bunches!

Dana, some of your Phlox subulata 'Emerald Blue' would be great! Do I have anything else you would like for some of your native wild ginger?

o

Tammy, I meant lets swap the Acanthus and Myazaki for the hellebores and Amethystina. I forgot about the toad lily part ;) -Ais.

o

oh, it's fine ais, i don't mind bringing all of those, really. i have plenty. the hellebores are just sprouts, and i'll be bringing as many as i have time to get in 6 packs. the plumbago i'm digging for deb anyhow, and have lots, and it's right next to the cherry bells. heck, it's mixed with the cherry bells-they both get around! and i need to thin out that toadlily anyhow. so no worries. i'm just tickled about the acanthus & myazaki. greedy schmeedy- i'm a the point i have more to give than room to recieve, ya know? you're doing me a favor!

dana, i sure hope i can find a mulberry small enough to dig. i'll keep an eye out as they leaf out. i'd love to get some of the eggs & or pillars. our turtles still won't eat much fruit or veggies, but love most any bugs- worms, slugs(gross!!) snails, crickets, mealworms, beatles, lawn grubs, hornworms, etc. so chances are they'll like the caterpillars.

ralph, i'm hoping you're bringing a bunch more of those celandine poppies. i've been grabbing one or two each swap. i hope to have a nice patch at some point. the celandines are up already. i got some of the impatiens last yr- we'll see if they come back this time. with the drought, they may have died. i didn't water too much as we are on a well. anything you'd like to secure a celandine?

keith/sally, i second the lysamachia 'persian carpet' request. anything i have you'd like? i might be able to get you some callas.

brenda- i have some of the hardy begonia. dunno if it'll be white or pink- i have both.

root- i see your email and raise you one! :D it's gonna be a fun swap!! tam

ooh- couple more wishes- anyone have the hardy red gloxinia or the begonia that has long red/coral flowers? or a hardy fuschia? those are all ones i've been wanting.

o

Tammy, I have a Fuchsia triphylla 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt'- it's Zone 9, so I winter it inside (blooming), but it's able to take the heat of our summers. Do you want me to root some, or are you only looking for hardy?

I'm really hoping someone will want some Prunus mume cuttings. June is supposed to be the right time to root them, but I can't seem to get it to happen. It would be great if someone else could root some, and maybe we could share a few at the fall swap? I have 'Rosebud' and 'Kobai' that I will have to hack back anyway, so I could supply plenty of cuttings.

o

Did someone say they had some Lindera spicebush? That's something that I would love to have....

Vickie

o

brenda, thanks so much. i have & love gartenmeister, so i don't need it. i am really looking for the hardies i can leave in the ground. i have waaaay to much stuff to overwinter each yr, and even with my best efforts it always is expanding. :) can't seem to help myself! there's just something about things that're *almost* hardy....

o

Brenda - maybe grafting would work better than rooting on the mume's. Not that I've ever grafted anything before, but the literature sure makes it look easy.

I have a few of the Fuchsia's 'Gartenmeister' to bring. They always do well in my semi shady yard and the fruit is edible but doesn't taste like much.

I have a few rooted cuttings of Angel Wing begonias - nothing fancy or hardy.

I have some Tiger Plant or Sanchesia - a great tropical for patio pots, big leaves with bold yellow stripes. Grows fast with lots of water and heat.

I have mixed cannas - should be the shorter, stubbier types.

I should have some past-their-peak potted bulbs, left overs from the flea market - little iris' and buttercups or anemone's.

As is true most years, my overwintering skills fail, everything that was doing so well up until March and now plenty of things are going down hill. All the elephant ears in particular - so everyone that dreams of one of the weirdo xanthoma's shouldn't get their hopes up too high. They are starting to turn to mush.

I did get some seeds to sprout but not as many as I had hoped for. In the native wild collected seed, I got a few Kostaletzkia or Seaside Mallow to sprout and my new favorite Salvia lyrata. But I doubt these guys will be strong enough by swap time so, again, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

o

Brenda and Tammy,
I will pot up some "persian carpet' for you both. I am looking for callas, hardy begonia and stuff for dry shade.

Sally

o

Sally, I can dig some Begonia grandis (hardy) for some Phlox paniculata 'Robert Poore'.... Check my list to see if I have anything else you would like. I've never dug this stuff when it was dormant, but I've got a good sized patch of it so shouldn't have any trouble finding it.

o

Sally, If you have more Persian carpet, I would love some.

Ralph any anyone else, I'm still greedy for celadine poppies.

Tammy, the hellebores you gave me are vigorous -- one of them bloomed already -- but I hope you bring more.

I can bring:

Carolina allspice/Sweet Shrub (Calycanthus floridus)

Sweet Pepperbush, Summer Sweet (Clethra alnifolia)

Tiger lily (few; these are the Asian ones with the bubils)

White-blooming "shamrock"/ wood sorrel (Oxalis acetosella)

Purple-leafed "shamrock" with pink-to purple blooms (Oxalis regnellii)

Variegated Liriope/Monkeygrass

The following are SOooo happy in my shady woods. I wouldn't want to send them to a hot spot, but if you have a shady place and a place in your heart, let me know. I'd like to pot them in early April rather than the week before the swap, except for the Mayapple, who aren't up yet:

(Trillium cuneatum) mahogany-colored blooms. A few tiny and vigorous babies seek new worlds.

(Podophyllum peltatum) Mayapple (few)

(Polystichum acrostichoides) Christmas fern

Jack-in-the-pulpit. With our warm winter, these guys remained upright and emerald -- huge leaves. A few babies can leave home.

Also, I have clean burlap bags.

Here's my wish-list:

One or two Magnolia seedlings, the usual grandiflora.

Foxglove

Bleeding Heart

Creeping Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens)

Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)

Galax (Galax aphylla)

Lily of the Valley (Convallaria majalis)

Wintersweet (Chimonanthus praecox)

Tuberose (single Mexican or double)

Winter Aconites (I over-mulched some of mine).

Shade-loving sedums.

Mother-of-thyme (Thymus serpyllum)

Fun, fun. Thanks.

o

sally, i was going to offer some hardy begonias, but someone beat me. ummm- i've had good luck with toadlilies in dry shade. want some of those? i probably have calla lilies i can dig for you, too, but they definitely want moisture & some sun. i'm going on a plant dig tomorrow and can get you christmas fern or some evergreen asarums, which do well with dry shade. just let me know which you'd prefer. thanks for the persian carpet.

carole- i'll be bringing as many hellebore babies as i have time to dig. i tried to get to the seed, but there has to be 200 seedlings out there easy. gotta figure out something different this yr to keep them from seeding everywhere. i don't want to weed them out, but the area i have them in they can't stay. so i go through this each yr. i think i'll cover the blooms with paper bags or cut them before they open this yr. glad they were vigorous- i'm really surprised you have blooms from last yr's babies. you sure it wasn't yr before's? you made me think- i'd like some shade tolerant sedums, too. i had one a long time ago- an east coast us native, but lost it.

oh- i keep forgetting to say i have at least 3 rose of sharons to dig & bring- all pink i think, with a cranberry eye. and 2 dehlia's purple rose offsets. it's a divinely fragrant old rose that only has one huge flush of bloom very early rose season. nice red new foliage and a fuschia purple fading to more of a grapey color, very full flat blooms- almost like crepe paper. semi-climber- the canes get 7- 10' or so. not super thorny but it's got them. i've never noticed it being bothered by much of anything except aphids about this time of yr. i never spray with anything and it's laughed at the nasty clay i planted it in yrs ago. don't know the official class designation- i'm terrible about keeping track of that stuff. if you really want to know, i can find out.
tam

o

Well, Sally, that would be dandy - but what kinds of things are you looking for for dry shade? I have native heuchera which is tough as nails if it's for a natural area and you like natives. Or some Blue Fortune Agastache. If you want a bloomer, I highly recommend [Brenda stepping up onto soapbox] da da! Furman's Red Salvia. Yes it slices, it dices. It blooms in shade or sun. Foliage smells good. Hummers pollinate it. It blooms red from now - yes right now it is blooming fellow gardening friends - until frost in fall. It doesn't care if you water it or not. It doesn't seem to need good soil or fertilizer. It is not invasive or aggressive, but it will propogate easily from seed or cuttings. It is quite simply, the world's most perfect plant. So, it's been a whole year since I droned on about this plant - any takers?

o

I started my list of brings/wants/trades on my GW page, under Seeds to trade...
Hopefully later this week I'll have time to get it into better shape and fill in details on the special trades, and then as I get my garden into order again... add more about what I'm bringing.

Brenda, I was going to ask you about Furman's red -- mine hasn't come back! And I don't know _why_ -- I didn't do anything bad to it, y'know? So... if you are bringing it... (check your email re: special trades :)

Woodsworm, if we can figure out a trade, I would love some jack-in-the-pulpit. Gladiolus?

Arwen

o

Ralph, I'm having salad for lunch. Thank you so much for the baby lettuces you gifted me with last night at the Dan Hinkley lecture. You are the greatest, and your wife is right, you do have 10 green thumbs. Of course, now I need one of those new heat-tolerant gunneras Dan talked about, so I'm back to step one of my 12-step program.

Arwen, you murdered Furman!?! Just kidding. It's probably just in an exposed spot and will still come back. If not, I have more, as you know. Do you have leafless stems or truly nothing to the ground? My blooming one is against a brick wall, so it stays a little warmer, but I have one out in the woods that is leafless but coming back. I'd love some cuphea or rooted ice plant, and you are very welcome to have an apricot.

Woodsworm, I have 4-packs of very lush baby foxgloves that you are welcome to. I'd love either a tiger lily or maybe a jack - I know they're precious, so let me know what else you might like. I have a large wintersweet, but have never tried rooting it - do you know if it will do so easily this time of year? I do not have wintergreen, but I do have extra Chimaphila maculata, also called Pipissewa,Prince's Pine, or Striped Wintergreen.

o

After receiving a Brenda's Special Furman's Salvia at one of the previous swaps (in a cut off detergent bottle no less!) I can stand behind her on her soap box and salute the flag of Furman's. Mine is not next to anything and hasn't lost a leaf all winter and is covered with buds, love it, love it, love it. I'll even take another one if you bring some to the swap.

So how was ol' Dan? I really wanted to go but had a fear that it would be crowded and in the end I would just hand my checkbook and credit cards to him and tell him to just keep sending plants each month til the moolah runs out. All this reminds me to checkout his website for another dose of humor. Did he mention how the piano lessons are coming?

I'll be sowing a ton of seeds this weekend so there should be plenty of seedlings to come to the swap. Today I noticed what appeared to be signs of life in my wintersown tub of seeds from native passionflower (a vine that was covered in dried extra large fruit).

o

I went out today to gather some of my promised trades. Was really sweating finding the hardy begonia. Dug into a spot and thought to myself, you are nuts, you've never tried to dig this stuff when it's dormant and it's not due up for at least another month, maybe two with the north side shady bed they're in. I had just given up and out of the corner of my eye I saw some ittie bitty begonia leaves. Eureka we have hardy begonia!!!! I'm not sure if it's the grandis or the evansiana but I found enough for at least two nice pots! Then I went to get some of the abutilon and it was already rooted under the mulch along the stems. Yeah, the little things excite me!

Brenda, How's Furman's at surviving in a pot? I didn't get mine planted from the fall swap. It's been in an unheated detached building. Crossing fingers and toes......

o

brenda, you made me cwwwyy!!!
no, seriously... maybe it willcome back. it is planted out in the front of my yard, near the mailbox... totally exposed. and there is a stick with its branches -- i didn't cut it back at all last fall. wasn't sure if i should but...

tam, twinspur is diasca. they're _really_ cute quasi-annuals. little pink flowers, quite prolific. at least in the last two weeks since i planted it outside... but i started a bunch of seeds, and i'm glad i did! i really like it. i've seen it listed as either an annual or, if well-covered in a moderate climate (sounded like raleigh), a possible perennial.

the seleginella is golden spikemoss -- probably the same thing you had under your faucet. if you want it, let me know.

keith, do you have enough of the persian carpet for me to ask for some? i'm not sure what you're looking for...

tam or ralph -- i've never grown penstemon... but it sounds awesome. i'm tempted to ask if i can trade with both of you for different colors! ralph, what's on your want list?

...off to update my trade page...

:)
arwen

o

ok, arwen, i would like some of the golden spikemoss, mine croaked. i guess fixing the hose did it in. i don't have penstemon the flower- i have pennistemon the ornamental grass (which i very well may have misspelled). you're welcome to some if you want it. the diascia sounds cute.

brenda- you make furman's sound so perfect how can i resist? i'll try one if you have enough. what would you like in trade? i have you down for physotegia & hardy begonia.

sally, i did dig some of the evergreen ginger today if you want some. it does dry shade. if you'd rather one of the other things i mentioned, that's no problem; i'll use the ginger for me.

o

Tammy, I thought you were giving me pink obedient plant, winter honeysuckle, purple fall aster for pennywort, Furman, and Trycirtis hirta 'Variegata', but I will happily plant your hardy begonia instead - talk about your no bad choices!

I will bring some more Furman's for Arwen and John and whoever wants to come on board the Furman train. Life is good, Furman is even better. Actually, my 'Maraschino' is blooming profusely now, but I suspect that is only because it heard me muttering last fall that I was pulling it out come spring in favor of more Furman's. The 'Maraschino' is more of a sprawler and Furman is upright, so I'm thinking maybe a container of Furman in middle and 'Maraschino' on edges - thus avoiding my future thisty-container-wilting-in-summer scenarios.

o

Oh, and Tammy, I thought I put wild comfrey, Cynoglossum virginianum aside for you as well.

I still need to find homes for a pot of mayapple and a pot of Cimifuga Snakeroot.

o

Brenda, I would love the Cimifuga if I have anything else you are interested in. I am going to try and divide an epimedium grandiflorum today or I may be able to get you a Spigelia. They're still dormant so I need to see if I can find them. I will also have japanese anemones and some asiatic lilies (though I can't remember the color). Nobody has asked for the coral honeysuckle but I may bring one anyways. I also have native and variegated Solomon's Seal that I may bring. Lots of stuff is still coming up so we'll just have to see what else I can pot up in the next couple of weeks. -Ais.

o

Ais, Solomon's seal has exclamation points after it on my want list. I'll definitely look for it if you're bringing it, or see if we can set up a special trade.

Brenda, if I can get both the cuphea llava and ice plant (ice plant is rooted, no worries there) then it would be awesome to trade for a mayapple.

Tammy, glad you're interested in the diasca. It's sort of funny, it's inspired this "must propagate across Triangle" reaction. I don't know exactly why *this* plant in particular (maybe because I've never seen it in anybody's garden and I am pretty sure I can bring a bunch? I dunno.) but it's so cute...

Arwen

o

Ais, I'd love some of the Coral Honeysuckle if I have something you would like?

o

Rootdigger I will be happy to trade a coral honeysuckle. Do you have any begonias that aren't spoken for?
Arwen I will dig you some Solomons seal. I'll take Artemesia or gladiolas if you have enough.

o

AIS, I'm sure I can dig some more. I was looking this morning and don't see any more new leaves, but we have a few weeks and I know there is lots of it! Thanks!

o

Deborah, I have plenty of the phlox. I went out in the woods looking for the wild ginger today and I did find some of that as well. Sometimes it's hard to find under the leaf litter.
Dana

o

I have a small pot of Hearts-a-burstin that I dug to save it from the deer. I have 2 little starts of Phlox stolonifera 'Blue Ridge' - these are off a new pot I just bought last month, so they're small, but I think they're special. I have the trades as I understand them on my member page, so please let me know if I have something wrong there, so I bring the right stuff.

Ais, I marked the Cimicifuga for you - I don't know if it's the americana or the racemosa - I just know it's native to here. The racemosa is supposed to have a foul odor the americana doesn't, but I've never stuck my nose in it.

o

Dana, Thanks, now what else can I dig for you? I have updated my list and might have some things in a few weeks.

Brenda, I could dig some of the Phlox divaricata laphamii (I just planted it) for some of the Phlox stolonifera 'Blue Ridge' if you'd like to try it, or something else? LMK

o

Brenda what do you want for the Cimifuga? Do you want one of the epimediums? -Ais.

o

Sounds good, Deb and Ais.

o

brenda, i can bring you all of those, no problem. i added the stuff to the list. and thanks for the native comfrey. i'm excited to try that.

ais, can i beg a japenese anemone, too? i've been wanting one for a while, and a friend has them, but she always tells me how invasive they are when i ask. i don't mind if they spread around. what color is yours? i can bring you a hardy begonia if deb is out.

alicia- are you coming to the swap? you and i had written a while back, and i have noted you wanted some yellow 4 oclocks. well, i have a big old root trying to sprout. will bring it for you unless i hear otherwise.

leslie- i still have your pot of aquilegia canadensis from the fall swap. will be toting it along.
tam

o

Tammy, I *think* I have both a pink and a white one. I know some people consider them invasive. They do aggressively form colonies, but (so far)they stay in their area and don't seed around so I don't consider them a problem. I will reserve a pot of each for you. You don't need to bring me anything else, you've got me covered. I'm just bringing small pots of them anyways, but they do spread fast. -Ais.

o

Deborah, how about a spirea? I could use some more shrubs.
Dana

o

oooh goodie- thanks ais! you made my morning. now off to work on taxes. ugh. t

o

Dana, That works. I need to dig some of the Spirea 'Bridal Wreath,' mine has gotten so big over the years. So, it'll be a nice healthy clump. Thanks!

o

oooh goodie- thanks ais! you made my morning. now off to work on taxes. ugh. t

o
sorry!

oops- wasn't supposed to post again. sorry!

o

Sorry so slow in responding...

Tammy, I would love some toad lilles for the Persian Carpet.

Brenda, how about some of that great Furman's Red salvia and some native heuchera for the Robert Poore phlox and Persian Carpet?

Woodsworm, I have some Persian carpet and lilly of the valley for some Jacks and trillium.

Sally

o

• Posted by jeane 7b Garner NC (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 24, 06 at 21:36

Hi Everyone,
Now that I have 2 new knees I look forward to getting back in the swing of things. Other than amaryllis I don't know what I'm bringing. But I do have a request.

Last year someone brought summer poinsetia (common name) which I really enjoyed last summer. Hopefully that person will bring some more.
Thanks,
Jeanne

o

Hi Jeanne, I'm so glad to hear you're on the mend! I brought some of the summer poinsetia last spring and I think someone else did too, maybe Ralph and someone else too? Hmmm... was it you Shannon? Anyway, it didn't do that well for me so I'm not growing any this time around. I'm trying some of the Mexican Marigolds/T. erecta this year. It looks interesting!

o

Hey everyone..... Just jumping on the tale end, as usual. Last week I was fretting (like I always do) that I wouldn't have enough to trade. Well, eventhough my yard is far from established I have a few things that require thinning or have escaped their bounds. Yeah!

HAVES
Meidland Rose - looks like a mini white rose but rambles about 10 ft.
blackberry lily
iceplant - bloomed peach when I bought it but by the end of summer it started looking a bit fushia-ish
mauritous raspberry - gorgeous white rose-like flowers, needs support and runs like a raspberry, no fruit
baby trees - cedar, holly, pine, maple, oak
Tomatoes - should have starts in solo cups again hopefully some other veggies too
Morning Glory 'Grandpa Ott'

WANTS:
Amaranth
Bulbs, Corms, Tubers, etc. - any and all, from Amaryllis to Zephranthes (hehe, I couldn't help it)I really liked the mini daffs someone brought last year.
Toad lily
heuchera
anything in the rhododendrom family - azalea, camelia, daphne, rhoddie
lamium
hearts a bustin
trilium
hardy bleeding heart
ferns
solomans seal
ginger
flowering quince - Ralph??? I'll even trade homemade jam.
ajuga
acuba
Anything for dry shade

Tanya

o
I forgot.....

I also have some
Salvia 'hot lips'
tiny crepe myrtle - dark pink

o

• Posted by jeane 7b Garner NC (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 25, 06 at 11:41

Thanks Root for letting me know about the summer poinsetia. Maybe someone else may have it.

See you there,
Jeanne

o

Jeane - glad to hear you're gonna attend! Probably the temps in April are too cool for amaranth (if that is the summer poinsettia we're all talking about). I find it does better started in late May or even July for a big fall show. I will be sowing some for a display at the fair so I know I'll have extra mid summer. I'll track you down and share some then.

o

tanya -- I'd love Salvia 'hot lips'. I could trade you a wild ginger.

Carla B.

o

Hi all -- Just sent a post an hour ago that never showed. So I'll put a quickie substitute here.

My trade page is at last up and running. Let me know if you want to arrange any special trades for April 29 (Brenda and Arwin: already have you down for stuff).

Carla B.

o

Carla - I'd be interested in some trout lilies. I saw on your list, you have a magnolia that you don't know the species. If it's anything besides grandiflora, I'd be interested in that too.
Dana

o

Dana -- I'm not sure of the species, but it probably is grandiflora. I dug it last year at a sanctioned plant rescue site in a wooded site in west Raleigh. It could be virginiana, which I should know since I have one! I'll give it a good look tomorrow, now that it is bigger.
I'd like to trade trouts for sea holly if you have that available.

Carla B.

o

Carla, yes I have sea holly to trade. Thanks.
Dana

o

Carla B.
I put you down for a Salvia 'hotlips'. She's small trade accordingly. Wild ginger??!? Yippee!!!!

See you there
Tanya

o

Arwen: I will pot you two jacks-in-the-pulpit, and I would like to have your yellow canna and climbing spinach.

Sally: I'll have two jacks-in-the-pulpit and three tiny trillium for you. Thanks for holding the Persian carpet and lillies-of-the-valley for me.

Brenda: I'll have two tiger lillies for you and two jacks-in-the-pulpit. I am greedy for your foxglove babies, the hearts-a'bursting and some Chimaphila maculata.

Regretfully, all my jacks-in-the-pulpit are spoken for. Maybe I'll have more next year!

o

I'm a newbie to GW. But I would love to attend. I have to share:

Toad lilies
Heirloom tiger lilies
Primrose
Heirloom red daylilies (short)
Kwanza daylilies
Purple Daylilies that I don't know the name
Dianthus
Loquat tree
White butterfly orchid
Lavender Bee Balm
Lemon Balm
Spearmint
Oregano
Purple Echinatia
Rudbeckia
Shasta Daisy
Perennial Sunflower (Marc's Apollo)
Old fashioned bunching onions
Old fashioned pink Shamrock

o

Thripmaster, I'm interested in your White Butterfly Orchid and Primrose, what are you looking for?

o

thrip- i'd love some of that white butterfly orchid as well, and a loquat. do you get the loquat to fruit here? would it do ok in a big pot? is the butterfly orchid an oncidium? i have 'sherry baby', but that's the only oncidium i have. i adore her. what would you like from me? ask away. tammy

o

Rootdigger: I will gladly save you some White butterfly Orchid and some Primrose. Just to be clear...I have heard several things called primrose. This one is pink, and I have seen it named Evening Primrose. Loves heat, low growing, spreads easily in NC. I attached a link. I can't get my loquat tree to fruit. I got it from a friend in SC and she did though. She grew it from seed. It is about 5 feet tall and currently lives in my garden, so it is pretty hardy. I plan on digging it up because I just don't love it any more. I want to put something else in that spot. I think it would be happier and prettier as a potted tree. Maybe I would keep it if I weren't a houseplant murderer.

Tame: I will also save you some Butterfly Orchid. The butterfly orchid is actually a ginger and pretty common. Grows from rhizomes like a canna. Smells very nice. Only barely hardy here in NC. I'm sure you have seen it around. Is that what you had in mind?

Here is a link that might be useful: Evening Primrose

o

Thrip, Hee, Hee, I have both of those and am bringing some of each to the swap, but I could always use more dianthus and toadlilies. The dianthus would be a good one for sis, and I never get enough toadlilies. Plus yours might be different from the ones I have. If that works let me know what I can dig for you?

o

thrip- ok, thanks for the clarification. i do have some white ginger. i guess i could put some in the back, though. if someone else asks, give it to them since i have some.

i still would love the loquat. i had mailordered a small one a few yrs ago that died (wasn't in great shape), so i'll be tickled to get one a bit bigger. i have a row of dwarf fruiting trees in pots, that so far are doing alright, so i'll add him in. just so happens i have an open pot. it's my best sun, and if it ends up that it isn't hardy here(i'll do my research), i can move to the basement for the winter. what kind of dianthus do you have? you didn't tell me what you want. gotta do that or it's not a swap! :) tammy

o

Ok, I'll bring dianthus for both of you. I don't know the variety. It is mixed shades of pink. I have lots to share so if you see it and don't like that color I'm sure there will be others that might want it. I'll save the white ginger for someone who doesn't have any. The Loquat is reserved for Tame. I'll go pot him up this afternoon and hopefully won't have time to kill it before April. I have 3 toadlilies. One is the basic spotted leaved kind, I have plenty of. One is the fuzzy leaved varigated kind (don't have lots of that so only have a little to share with 1 or 2 people), and the other is lime green, variety is heaven's gate (also don't have tons of that, only enough for one or 2 people).

I'm real new to GW so I haven't set up a trade list. But I like all kinds of hostas, any shade plant, daylilies, lilies, love milkweed, veronica.....actually, I am about the easiest trader ever because I love everything. Plenty of times I have gone to swaps with no trades set up and ended up going home feeling like I have the motherload and marveling at the generosity of people. So, I'm not real worried about what I get in return. Anything that I am bringing, I wouldn't be upset to just give away to a gardening friend.

o

Tammy - the Eriobotrya or however Loquat's genus is spelled should do fine for you. I have one and I have seen them around town, most often in part sun so you don't need to put it in your full sun spot if you don't want to. Getting them to fruit would be tricky since they bloom after Thanskgiving and it takes all winter for the fruit to form and they won't wistand freezing temps (the tree will, the fruit won't). I'm thinking about keeping mine pruned to a small tree shape and then covering it with a simple hoop house stucture to keep a crop of fruit going - I won't be doing this every year though, too much work. I grew up eating the fruit as a kid and they aren't THAT special.

Thripmaster - bring the butterfly orchid (I always knew it as Butterfly Ginger) anyway. Every year someone brings some of it and they are always a hot item. I find the solid white old fashioned ones the best - to me they have to strongest fragrance and bloom the longest. I still have the pale cream/orange ones called 'Disney' that I will be digging and bringing (same ones I brought last year). I will take all the heirloom tiger lilies I can get my hands on so bring them also.

o

Thrip. How about some hosta? I think it's Autumn Moon, it's an old one my MIL gave me and I have a Grape Magic daylily I can share. Thank you for the dianthus and any of the toadlilies would make me happy. Maybe a little teeny bit of a couple different ones? It doesn't take much to get them started. If I get something Tammy doesn't (and vice versa) we'll just end up swapping some of it later, lol. I can also get you some hardy begonia if you'd like? I think I'm going to have scads of it showing up this year. Need to remember to cut the pods off this fall.

o

Thrip - if you have enough of the lime green toadlily, I would love to trade for it. I'd also like to try some tiger lilies. I have lots of daylilies and common milkweed and other stuff too.
Dana

o

TriangeJ. I would love to trade some of the tigerlilies for some of your Disney Ginger. I don't have that one and would love it.

Digger: I woould also love some of your Autumn Moon Hosta and your Grape Magic Daylily. I'll save you some of each Toadlily. I also have lots of the hardy begonia. I didn't list it on my trade list because I forgot about it since it is not up yet. That is a nice plant. You should bring some anyway because I bet lots of people would want some.

Dana: I'll save you a Tiger or two. I'll also try to get a little of the Heaven's Gate Toadlily for you. I keep wishing more will come up. I think more will. If all else fails I can rob my brother, which is how I got mine!

Someone really needs to step up and adopt some of my perinnial sunflower! I know there are at least a few brave souls out there! This is a beautiful plant. It grows 10 feet tall and is covered in yellow blooms in the late summer. Birds love it. Very hardy.

o

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE some of the perennial sunflower. I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it to the swap this year. I know people that are definately going though. I don't have anything mature enough to divide yet but have lots of wintersown seedlings:

Oenothera pallida 'Innocence'
Oenothera lamarckiana
Oenothera macrocarpa 'Inca Silver Blade'
Oenothera 'Lemon Sunset'
Calamintha grandiflora
Calamintha sylvatica
Digitalis purpurea 'Gloxinaefolia'
Verbascum chaixii
Penstemon strictus
also a mix of unnamed verbascum
and a mix of unnamed agastache.
I also have olympic mullein seedlings.

Adele

o

Hi Adele: I would be more than pleased to share my perennial sunflowers with you! You will love them. They are one of the stars of my late summer garden and I can never figure out why nobody seems to love them but me! I have plenty, how many would you like. I would be happy to trade for any of the items you listed. Just have one of your friends get your sunflowers from me.

o

Adele - you know we're all heading to BB's after the swap anyway, we could just pull off a mini trade in the parking lot while you're at work. ha ha ha (like I need more plants!) Do any of the primroses you mentioned do well in part sun??? I could use a mullein also, it will go nicely with that salvia argentea I bought last time I was at BB's.

Thrips - I'll take one (only ONE) of the sunmonsters. I think I have one already and it performs well even in my nots-so-full-sun yard, anyway I could always use more yellow late in the year.

I do have some unnamed Tricyrtis (possibly T. hirta) that I got years ago from Gardinfool for those of you hungry for toadlilies.

o

Thrip, Thanks!

John, Toadlily's are just so sweet to tuck here, there and every where in any little shady spot. Plus the varieties are just so numerous! They're in a class with ferns, lamiums and columbines. You just can't have too many, if you have any shaded areas. Heheh!

o

John -- I meant to ask if I can have one of those tiger plants. Is there anything I have that you want? I started some viola 'bowles black' from seed that i might could share but they're not looking too good. we'll see. this is the second bad experience i've had with coir. i started all over again with a different growing mix a week ago and everything's doing much better. unfortunately i sowed all the violas. phooey.

In general, here are some seedlings I've got started for the swap: tomato 'granny cantrell' and 'purple passion', milk thistle, cuke 'sweeter yet' and cinnamon basil. I'm not sure what plants I'm bringing. Definitely siberian iris and black-and-blue salvia.

Six days 'til Daylight Savings Time. Woo-hoo! My favorite day of the year!!!!

Carla

o

Hi Ratgirl: Are you talking about the tigerlilies that John and I are planning on trading? If you are, You got confused about who had them. I'll gladly save you one. I would love any of the things you are bringing. Especially the things you are starting from seed. Love milk thistle.

o

Actually, it was something he called tiger plant or sanchesia (way, way back in a previous post). A tropical that'd be a good patio plant.

Ratgirl (Hee, hee. I like that handle better anyway)

o

I have my trades and extra stuff listed on my member page, so please check it out. Also, since I owe Deb, Tammy, and Arwen spring ephymerals, here's a photo of what WAS in your pots:

Image hosting by Photobucket

o

John, I have grown oenothera in part sun with good success. That's actually the reason for my winter sowing them. I planted one in unamended sand under a loblolly pine last spring that bloomed all summer. So of course I decided I needed a ton more. 'Innocence' is particularly lovely with a low-growing habit, gorgeous white flower and its scented to boot. It's also supposed to bloom its first year from seed. Of all the oenothera I sowed they had the best germination rate. I hope they reseed all over the place.

The olympic mullein I brought to last year's spring swap will bloom this summer. I have five planted in a circle at my house. By the time they bloom they will be 6-7 feet tall with a candelabra like flower stalk of about 3 feet. I thought it was a biennial but recently read that it is a perennial. I grew one in Pittsburgh that bloomed the last summer I was there so I don't know if it is perennial or not. When we left in September it was still blooming and had been blooming since the end of July. I have heard they reseed.

Adele

o

Thripmaster, I'm the one who d-mailed you about this swap. I would also love some of your perennial sunflowers. I have a list on my member page of things I could probably bring. Also plan to bring some Sour Grapes penstemon and have some wintersown Cupid's Dart.

Tammy, there are several of the things you said you could bring that I would like. I've been racking my brain to think of what I could offer in return. I do have a dianthus I think you'd like. Have some Moldavian dragonshead ws seedlings and could dig you some blue oak sage if you're interested.

Shari

o

shari, that'd be great! i bought blue oak sage from pdn yrs ago & killed it. i've looked at it longingly many a time since, but didn't want to pay for it again. it has the most wonderful foliage! and i love anything blue. i've started the dragonheads before and think they're cool. and i'm not fussy about dianthus- i like them all, except maybe carnations. you didn't say what you'd want in return. name them & they're yours.

brenda thanks for the assurances that's there's stuff in your pots! :) they should still be up by the time of the swap unless it gets beastly hot. my ephemerals usually last at least into june.

john, i have plenty of the white creeping perennial oenethera that is quite invasive if you want some. it's forever escaping into the driveway. i don't know if it's pallida or not. from what i can see of the images i've pulled up, the foliage looks similar. it does bloom most of the summer in waves, and has a slight fragrance. mine's in sun, but you could try it in shade. i've seen the pink do so-so in a fair amount of shade.

thrip- i'll look around and see what i can bring for you. i have georgia blue veronica if you don't have that, and lots of daylilies, but most aren't named (i should say i can't get to the names anymore)- they are very old varieties. also have a plain green hosta- h. ventricosa, that has fragrant striped flowers & seeds true. there's bound to be some babies around; there always are. i normally have asclepias tuberosum popping up in strange spots, too and i could dig one of those if they're up. they come up so late, they may not be showing yet by the time of the swap. do you like roses? see my post a ways up- noone's spoken up for the 2 dehlia's purple roses i have yet.

o

Hi Shari: It was very nice of you to direct me here! I'm quite happy for you to adopt a few of my sungiants! I don't have the pensteman you mentioned or the cupid's dart so either would be a great trade...which ever you have the most of to share.

TLask: I would absolutely love a tad of your veronica. One of my favorite plants and I can't get enough!

o

thrip ---
the perennial sunflower sounds awesome. one of my friends planted a bunch of them for her wedding last year and they were gorgeous. if you can find anything on my trade list you want, lmk. i'll keep my eyes open for some of those onions too -- could be fun to try!

brenda -- thanks for the pics :) i love the silver pen on clear markers motif, btw.\

i think my trade list is up to date -- let me know if anything is wrong. this thread is too big to scroll back through again... ;) ;p

arwen

o

Hi Arwen: I have tons of this sunflower and would love it if you would adopt one! I also have many of the onions. You are more than welcome to some. They are even pretty when they bloom. I'll bring you a bunch of them and you can divide them up for planting. I checked out your trade list. I love Melampodium because it is one of the few annuals that doesn't bat an eye at our heat, and also Love Lies Bleeding. If you have spares that would be great.

o

Tammy, I'd like your rudbeckia triloba, bog sage, leadwort and aquilegia canadensis. I'll bring the blue oak sage, dianthus and dragonshead.

Thripmaster, I'll be digging the penstemon this weekend so I'll see how it does. I have lots of Cupid's Dart seedlings and will definitely bring you some.

Carla B, are we still on for the dianthus, sweet potatoes and liatris swap for old fashioned mums and siberian iris?

Thanks,
Shari

o

ooh- shari, can i beg a cupid's dart, too, pretty please? i love it, used to have it & never replaced it once it died out a few yrs back. got all your requests down.

i will have a couple small pots of egyptian walking onion starts. they are very cool & a hardneck type of onion. i use them green or small onion size- they are a little strong, but have good flavor. they are fun when they 'bloom'- they set a cluster of bulbs up top which each get their own squiggly tail- it's like something out of dr. suess. when it gets heavy enough, they fall over & 'walk'. then the mother bulb rots, i guess- it goes away after a while. the pots are small- so you'll have to let them grow & multiply a few yrs to have enough to eat, but eventually you'll have enough to eat, share & do whatever else with. the little bubils can be used as pearl onions, too, though i never have. they are very ornamental.

one more thing i'll bring is a tall single med pink mum. it spreads, so don't put it where it'll crowd stuff out. i'll probably have at least 3 pots of it.

i'm sure i will find more stuff as i finally get out in the garden & start putting things right (yay!). i'll keep adding stuff as i notice things that need divvy'd. tam

o

Ais, I would not mind trading either a japanese anemone or asiatic lily for the trillium. If I am not mistaken there will also be a celedine poppy growing up between the two trilliums. I have others so I won't separate them since they are growing really close to each other. If those two plants are already spoken for you can dig me out any ol thing. I'm not picky yet. Anything prolific would be my choice. Thanks Adele

o

Yes, Shari -- We're still on for those. I also have you down for Stipa seed.

Tanya, Dana, Brenda and Arwen -- I listed our special trades under "Seeds I'm Looking For" on my trade page. Let me know if I missed anything or if there's anything else you want from my list.

Carla

o

Tammy, I'll bring some catanache for you as well. Got the seed cheap from valueseeds and it ws'd really well. I've never had them and really look forward to growing them.

Shari

o

Shari brought me blue oak sage last fall - awesome, awesome plant. Evergreen this year, gorgeous. Thanks again.

Carla, add me bringing you Furman to your list.

o

Adele, I can bring you both of those. I'm going to pot them up today (one nice thing about being a stay at home mom, lots of garden time). Yay! Thanks for offering me the trillium! I'm very excited! -Ais.

o

I also have some Strawberry Begonia and some Bluberry Ice Spider Wort that I can share if anyone wants some.

o

oooh- i'd love some of the blueberry ice, thrip. i have the begonia growing as ground cover in the shade. it's so cute when it blooms. can i offer you some of the evergeren ginger (asarum) in trade? i dug it at the last dig with you in mind. deals with dry shade well. tam

o

Ok Lask: I'm heading out right now to pot you up a little blueberry ice. It is quite pretty. Yes I would love some of the wild ginger. I love that plant. The little brown flowers under the leaves are charming.

o

thanks, thrip. by the by, my screen name is tamelask, because my first name is tamela, middle initial 's' & last initial 'k'. but you can call me tam, tammy or whatever you want. someone recently told me that's how they used to say lame task- like flutterby for butterfly. so i guess i'm a lame task. oh well- could be worse, right? :) i always read it as tam'll ask- as if i ask a million questions. which i do, sometimes. the stories behind the names are sometimes pretty funny. ask adele- i love hers.

i have both the arifolium(pointed leaves) and the minor(rounded leaves). i'll include at least one of each.

o

Thanks so much for saving the gingers for me! Your screen name story is interesting. I am called Thripmaster because several years ago I worked for Novartis Crop Protection. They made a product to control Thrip in Avocados and Citrus called Agrimek....same stuff as Avid. Anyway, I sold TONS of it because a new and bad thrip appeard on the scene. So, I became the Thripmaster. My name is Robin...but lots of on line people call me Thrip. I'm not very picky about what I am called.

o

I have been lurking and not posting, so I am way behind. Help me if I miss anyone.
John, I am very much interested in the xanthona-looking ee if they have survived; also, Fuchia gartenmeister and Disney ginger lilly. I have Plectranthus ciliatus that looks almost like a coleus and another with silver leaves, also have var toadlilly (Samurai) and several named Tiarella (Snowflake, Choc mint, etc), Celandine poppy, etc. if you're interested.
Brenda, I am interested in Furman Red Salvia, snakeroot, Jade Dragon Euphorbia and especially the Impatiens zombensis. How many Choc Chip Ajuga would you like? I have a Celandine poppy for you and can throw in named Tiarella and/or Heucheras plus Asarum arifolium.
Tammie, any amethystina toad Lillies left? I have a Celandine poppy for you. Are you interested in a varieg 'Samurai' or Miyazaki toad Lilly? I would also like to have a few cosmos, cypress vine, morning glory and per. sweet pea if I have other things that you want.
Arwen, I can bring you several different Penstemons for some blue star creeper. If I have anything else you would like, I am also interested in your diaca, glad bulbs and climbing spinach if it is Malabar spinach.
Tanya, I will have a flowering quince, I hope, for you. I also have Amaryllis, amaranth, toad lillies, ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' and a large leaf variety, heucheras, tiarellas and non-native, hardy bleeding heart. I would like a few tomato seedlings (one each of diff varieties). Grandpa Ott morn glory. and an ice plant.
Sally, I would love some of your Lysimachia "Persian Carpet' I almost bought some at PD's recent open house. I have Lys. 'Outback Sunset', or look at my trade list. If you have Bears Britches, I would like to trade for some of it, also.
Adelle, I am interested in each of your evening primrose and the verbascum. Do I have anything you would like?
Thrip/Robin, please let me know what you would like for a couple of perennial sunflowers, some Monarda (I have Jacob Cline), and the Heaven's Gate toad Lilly.
Ais, I have a Trillium cuneatum to swap for variegated soloman's seal. I am also interested in your Black Barlow columbine and some anemone. I have wild ginger, foam flowers and other shade plants to offer.
Shari, do I have anything you would like for some of the blueoak sage and/or the 'Sour Grapes' penstemon?
Rootdigger, do you have any of the Tricyrtis 'Lighting Strike' left? If so, would you like some more Salvia 'Black and Blue, another brug or anything else from my trade list?

o

Ralph, I'd love to trade some blue oak sage and Sour Grapes penstemon for pineapple sage and silver leaved plectranthus.

Shari

o
RE: WANTED:Have Cardoon

Also I have some really nice cardoon seedlings if anyone is interested.

o

Arwen, you have Malobar spinach? I want some too [insert excessive whining here].

Ralph, Furman is rooting now. I will dig your snake root this morning. The 'Jade Dragon' is already rooted. The Impatiens seedlings are at the 6 leaf stage now, so they are small, but healthy and one has your name on it. I would love some Ajuga and Celadine Poppy. I have plenty of Heuchera and Asarum, but I'm always in search of a Tiarella to adopt - it doesn't even have to be named - I love them all. And we sure are enjoying the lettuce you gave us. "Mr. Impatiens" also gave me seed of Impatiens namchabarwensis - it is that true blue that is described on one site as "the holy grail of Impatiens" - so of course the seeds did not germinate. Mr. Impatiens advises me that they need a cold period (with Impatiens?!?), so I'm now chilling the pot. I have some seedlings of Viola koreanum as well.

o

Great Ralph! I'll trade the VAriegated Solomon's seal, columbine, and anemones for the Trillium and wild ginger.

Brenda, what is viola koreanum? I've never heard of that one and googling it didn't turn up anything (and I thought the internet knew all). -Ais.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here