Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Houseplants Outside

Posted by bonnie_il 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 7:14

Hi all.
I'm fairly new to NC. When is a good time to put your houseplants outdoors?
I know the yellow dust should start in about a week, so I know it will have to be after that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Houseplants Outside

Sorry I didn't mean to put wanted on the subject line.

o

I put half of my stuff outside already just to take advantage of the nicer temperatures. I'm sure we'll at least have a cool down period before the real spring gets here. I may move my extra large stuff out of the basement this weekend (which I will live to regret if we get really cold temps again).

I don't think you can control the "Have" and "Wanted" start to the posting, it's built into the program.

o

it's built in- you probably want to post this in the main forum if you want a lot of answers. This sub forum is really just for swaps and exchanges.

The yellow dust won't hurt anything but would need to get washed or rained off for appearance sake. We are to get below freezing temps later next week so you may want to wait unless you don't mind lugging them back & forth. The general rule is to bring houseplants out when it's staying above 50 at night, but i don't wait that long. Mine go out after the last freeze (around mid april here), whenever i get time to get them outside, which tends to be a couple weeks after that.

Also, if they are full sun plants be sure to put them in a semi shady spot for a few days to acclimate to outside. Even full shade outside is sunnier than full sun inside and they will burn if you put them in full sun right off. Or plan to take them out before a couple cloudy days and let them acclimate that way.

In the fall i procrastinate and get them back in late, right before a freeze, but they do much better if you get them in when it's going a bit below 50 at night. I just always have a lot going on in the fall, and debugging them is a pain.

o

Thank you for the information. I got half of them out on the covered porch. I'll work on the others another day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here