Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_near_eno

WANTED: Time to Start Raleigh Swap Special Trades?

brenda_near_eno
17 years ago

Sorry, I meant to post this here, not on Discussions page.

Comments (150)

• tamelask
    17 years ago

root, that sounds like a doable idea to me. i was just going to ask krystol where she is, and when she want sto do the boulder thing. i think the more muscles the better for that sort of thing. im not too much help either, but will throw my puny muscles at it. :)

krystol, the daylilies and nepeta are yours, happily. we LOVE rocks. when would you want us to come and get the rocks? you can email me directly from the link & i have root's, so we can figure that out off the thread if you want. we do have a couple smaller pry bars and hub's been wanting an excuse to get abig one, so maybe this is it. would you want use to bring a wheelbarrow or do you have one to use? we could bring a handtruck, though it's lightweight.

alicia, no worries about the cyrilla. it looked interesting, but we can always do it later. cinnamon fern is great; it's one of the ones i don't have yet. if i have anything else you'd like, i'd be interested in a start of the the roof iris. is that i. tectorum? and, i'm curious, what is first breath of spring?

moka, i can be sure to pot some of the assorted sedums i have around in some containers for the swap. i have lineolaris, a round penny sort of one(john creech?), a chartreuse pointy one, and some others. i wouldn't mind some of the red to yellow yarrow you have. if you have enough sedums, instead i could bring ice plant and/or caraway thyme, which is a bit taller than you may want for pavers, but does well along the edges. i also have creeping lemon/lime thyme. i nearly always bring a few asclepias tuberosum that have popped up in odd spots in the garden (but til they pop, i don't know where they are and they come up late, so no guarantees). i can definitely bring seed if you're interested- i have lots of it. just let me know.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Rootdigger, I'd be interested in trading the Iris brevicaulis, Phlox divarcata, and Iris tectorum for white butterfly ginger, purple iris, and miniature black iris.

Krystol, how about trading LA iris for your white bearded iris? Is it the old early variety of white iris (Iris albicans), or something else?

Tammy, I can also bring cuttings from the Cyrilla if you want. Might be a bit early in the year but cyrilla is supposed to be easy from cuttings. The roof iris is I. tectorum. FBOS is just winter honeysuckle. I'd be interested in your plumbago and Campanula "Cherry Bells".

I also thought of a few other things I can bring if anyone is interested: cuttings from the rose Climbing Old Blush; Atamasco lily, and swamp jessamine (unfortunately is not fragrant, but is pretty and vigorous and loves wet conditions).

I am looking for foamflower and alumroot if anyone has extras.

• moka_jo
    17 years ago

Rootdigger, cuttings of the jasmine and sedums would be wonderful. I'll bring some clove drops for you.

Tamelask, I'd be happy to bring some of the red-to-yellow yarrow. Ice plant would be great -- I snagged quite a bit of it from the general swap last year and it works really well on my path. (It's a looong stone path with that circles a couple of big planting beds, and it would happily absorb a lot more plants.) Some of the lemon/lime thyme would be great, too, if you don't mind bringing it. And the asclepias tuberosum seed would be great, if I'm not getting too greedy now. :-)

Thanks!

• tamelask
    17 years ago

moka, you're fine, i'll bring all those. i have plenty to spare. i love stepping stones with plants around them and am always on the lookout for good ones. that look is luscious. most of our stepping stone area is in shade, so it's a bit different plants.

alicia, that sounds wonderful. i'm always game to try cuttings. it's a really intersting looking plant. i'm happy to bring cherry bells- it spreads all over and i always have lots extra (you've been warned!). i can also bring the bells & takesimanna cross, which blooms like bells, but a little taller, and has glossy leaves like takesim. the plumbago is similar- once it's happy it spreads. took me 3 tries to find its spot, but it's happy now! (maybe too happy) :) never heard that name for winter honeysuckle, but it's certainly appropos. i have it. but i would love the i.tectorum.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Alicia, I can bring you a nice bunch of each of those, just have to remember which one the old purple iris is, lol.
    I would love some of the Climbing Old Blush Rose, my piece died from last year. My own fault for being so busy getting ready for my daughter's wedding and being to worn out afterwards.

AIS, I found H. taube and it's ALIVE!! WooHoo!

Moka, I went out to check the Jasmine. I normally put it under the house but this year it stayed in the unheated garage and it's not doing anything yet. It looks green near the base but I might have killed it. If it lived, soon as it is big enough (and hardens off a bit) I'll start it and get it to you somehow, by mail or maybe the fall swap. Last year was the 1st time I ever suceeded in rooting it. It is very fast growing and only blooms on new growth so it has to be whacked back several times a year to keep it blooming, which makes for plenty of cuttings, but spring has been the only time I could get it to root.

Tanya, if you have any extra gardenia's I'd love some, any kind is great.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

root- bad news. i'm pretty sure the coltsfoot bit the dust this winter. :( i'm sorry. i dug all through the pot and found nothing. i'm surprised- it is a weed up north. we are headed north this summer for vaca, so i can get you more then. what do you want instead?

i'm getting my trade & swap lists updated so if you guys get a chance, check and make sure i have things down accurately. i'll probably post them in the thread closer to the swap, since that's easier for all to ck. potted up a ton of hellebore babies in 4 packs today. that's always one of the biggest tasks, so i'm glad it's outta the way.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Tam, no worries... Whenever you run across it again is fine.

• aisgecko
    17 years ago

Busy weekend, sorry if I was slow to respond.
    Brenda I'll get you the acanthus and 'the Fairy' for the pentsemon and another cimifuga (the one I got last fall just came up- yay) if you still have some of those.
    Alicia, I'd take any of the ferns for dayliilies. I have to go see which ones I have to divide. -Ais.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Tammy, I'd love a start of the bells x takesimanna too.

Rootdigger, I'll bring you a cutting of Climbing Old Blush along with the other plants.

Ais, I'll dig some fern for you this week. Did you have a preference as to which ones?

I'm posting my trades on my exchange page to make keeping track of things a little easier.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

ok, i got my list done on my page last night. which led me to realize a couple questions. i had brought a bunch of buddlei cuttings for folks last fall, and i think some had left by the time i was done. do any of you remember who wanted some? i brought some trimmings in this past winter and they rooted in water and will be fairly nice sized bushes for the swap. only problem is, i don't know which color (d'oh!). i have a bright mid purple, black knight, and nanho blue. i have at least 4 plants to pot up. let me know if you'd like any or all of them.

magick, i was going to ask if you had anyone who wanted your pink peony. if not, i'll take it. i'm no fan of pink in general, but love peonies, and will be happy with any color. i'd asked you about variegated or blue hostas before and hadn't heard. i have potted wineberry, black raspberry, and can pot up some red raspberry, strawberries, and maybe some others for you. i can also take some kiwi cuttings for you. i have a. arguta- a male and 'annanaya'.

alicia, i'm happy to give you some of the camp cross. i'll be bringing a bunch anyhow, because it's crept out of the bed i put it in all the way around. come to think of it, i need to add a single pink tall mum to my general list, becuase it's been creeping, too.

dana- on the lizards thread i asked you if you wanted to swap a couple fence lizards for a couple anoles to let loose. i wasn't kidding- we'd love to get fence lizards started here. i'm game if you are- just let me know. kids caught a feisty little skink yesterday who wouldn't let go of his hand- so i took a pick of it hanging from his hand where it bit! funny critter (my kid and the skink).

• MagickMare
    17 years ago

Tam - The peony & hosta are yours!! I did some research & discovered that wineberry will fruit is semi-shade... I just opened up more fruit space if thats the case! I'd love some red raspberry & kiwi as well. I have alot of chainlink fence that would be perfect for the kiwi.

I am getting so excited about the swap, I can wait to meet everyone!

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Brenda, I would love a "Full moon" from you (ha ha) if your Inky fingers don't root. Shannon

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

Well, this thread has certainly gone downhill!! sheesh!

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Tam - If I can catch some babies I'll be glad to bring them. Haven't seen any adults around yet.

Alicia - I have native alumroot (heuchera americana). Is that what you want?

Moka - I'll trade butterflyweed for carnations if you want.

Dana

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Hey Shannon, I'd love some white iris and viburnum if I have something you'd like.

Some of what I have...
    Althea officinalis
    Alcea 'Doubles Chatter'
    Beautyberry - white
    Erysimum helveticum-wallflower
    Malva moschata 'White Perfection'
    Malva moschata - pink
    Echinacea - White Swan
    Sedums - variety
    Verbena on a Stick
    Hedychium - white
    Digitalis - foxglove - white
    Zephirine Drouhin Bourbon 1868 - cuttings, but am going to try to root some.
    more as it comes up....

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Root- do you have any tall sedums? I'd love a dark/burgandy sedum. I think there is one called "neon" If not I'd love to have a huge bunch of your hardy begonia for the viburnum and iris. These are the tall bearded iris. Nothing special but they are a good staple. Shannon

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Root- or if you have any hardy ferns.

John- I'm just surprised it took so long for it to go down hill lol.

Is there anyone out there who doesn't have Black and blue Salvia!!!! Newbies? I can pot some up or I can compost it. No trade necessary well although I would love to try some Kalua cookies :>!

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Dana, yes I'm looking for the native alumroot. Trade for a daylily?

Rootdigger, I'd be interested in a cutting of Zephirine Drouhin. DH has always wanted that one.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

magick- i should have mentioned that about wineberry. it does indeed. we love them. they are smaller and a little seedier than regiular raspberries, but they are delicious in their own way, and gorgeous. they are a little sticky when you pick them- strange. they would do really well on a chainlink fence as well if you have a lot. the vines are very long- like 20' and if you let them touch the ground the buggers tip root. they only fruit 1x a summer, about june, and it's staggered over about 2 or 3 weeks. happy happy about the peony. i don't know how to tell you to root the kiwis as i haven't done it. brenda got some cuttings last fall to do the same- brenda did it work? maybe wood material would work better. lmk if you need some more cuttings, too. just fyi, kiwi is VERY vigorous once it gets going. we have to trim ours 2-5 x a year. the fruit is very yummy, tho.

it is amazing it took us so long to have a sneaky little euphemism. it's gotta be a record. leave it to shannon...... :D

shannon i think if you composted b&b it'd grow through it! i'll bet if you bring it someone will take it home. we have a bunch of suckers- er i meant newbies, coming. heh heh - just wait til they see what we do to initiate them.

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Alicia - What daylilies have you got to trade?
    Dana

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Shannon I don't have a tall burgundy sedum, but I have a couple of the short ones I'll start rooting for you. Still no fern babies, but I've always got plenty of hardy begonia!

Alicia, I have you down for the zeph cuttings. If I can root one (hahahahaha) I'll bring that instead. My MIL says I can put a stick in the ground and get it to grow, but roses are another story, but I keep trying and someday if I can hold my mouth just right who knows it could happen!

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ais, is 'Husker Red' the penstemon you want?

Dogridge, could I have some Akebia for the apricot?

Dana, how about some of your mystery blue/purple salvia?

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Dana, I have one of each of these: Hyperion, Spellbinder, Which Way Jim, Ah Youth, Buttered Popcorn, and a probable Sparkling Orange (not certain because there is also a Norma Jean tag nearby). I also have commuter daylilies which I can divide.

• MagickMare
    17 years ago

Newbie here!!! Can you believe I don't have ANY Salvia? I guess I'll just make sure I've got plenty of baked goods to "trade"... I can't thank everyone enough for all the offers!

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Magic, you don't know what you just unleashed, lol! We all love salvias including Brenda's 'lovechild.'

Can you tell me about your climbing red rose? I've been slowly getting into roses, but am still very much a newbie with them.

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Brenda - the salvia is yours. Maybe you can ID it.

Alicia - I don't need any of those daylilies, but how about iris brevicaulis or phlox divaricata?

Dana

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Dana, alumroot for Iris brevicaulis sounds good.

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Alicia - it's a deal then.

• tietie
    17 years ago

Sorry I've been MIA lately.

My trade page is updated so, let me know if anything interests you. I specially have a couple plants for those people who don't care for their neighbors, very vigorous with thorns (evil grin). but the flowers are really nice.

Magick, I'd love as many azaleas as you are willing to trade for. I have rooted gardenia cuttings if you are interested or look at my list.

Vicki, I'd give my left arm for a rice paper plant, sorry the right I have to keep for operating the pruners and water hose. Take a look at my trade page to see if you are interested in anything I have.

Mokajo, I'd love some of that red/yellow yarrow. Let me know what you want to trade

Nancy, the orange lilies bloomed last year and were gorgeous!

Tanya

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Tanya - I'm interested in your peach iceplant and tropical hibiscus.
    Dana

• cutternumber
    17 years ago

OK, I'm completely new at this, but looking forward to the swap meet if I'm free that day. I don't have much to offer since I am a newish gardener, but I may have:

beautyberry (from my sister's yard in SC...may come with bonus fire ants)

rice paper plant, if I can persuade my other sister to try to stop killing it and put it in a pot for me to bring

and one native jack in the pulpit

I could also try digging up some of my chocolate mint which was recently transplanted but shows no ill effects--it grows like a weed.

and I will try to bring the aforementioned chocolate kaluha cookies.

I will take just about anything you don't mind consigning to possible death, but I'm especially looking for a mock orange (Philadelphus)...I don't know if that's totally unreasonable or not.

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Magick- got you down for a "Black and Blue". Its a good salvia to start with.
    What about you Cutter? I will check tomorrow to see if my Mock Orange has babies. She doesn't seem especially fragrant. If not I can try and bring you a cutting if you would like to try that way. And can I pot you up a "Black and Blue" also? Shannon/Dirtrx

• tamelask
    17 years ago

cutter, i have mock orange- i can bring some cuttings. actually, i'd like to move my bush, but it's way too big. so i'll probably take cuttings for me too and since it grows quick once i know i have it going, then i'll whack it where it is. btw- it flowers in the shade pretty well. i'd love some rice paper plant if you can pry some out of your sis's hands. otherwise, some kalua cookies would work! :)

tanya, could i get a start of the peach ice plant for a black raspberry start? or anything else you see on my list you'd rather have.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Cutter, If it's OK, I'll just bring you an assortment of what I have, unless you want something specific? Kahlua cookies work for me, no ants please! :)

• tamelask
    17 years ago

shannon looks like we crossed on our messages. my mock orange isn't knock your socks off, but it is fragrant. maybe we can both bring cutter some. yeah, b&b is a good one to start with... start taking over the world! ;). really, it's a great plant, nevermind me, i'm bein' silly. i have scads of it too and it's a favorite and easy as pie. i found out recently it actually prefers partial sun.

• moka_jo
    17 years ago

Rootdigger - no worries about the night-blooming jasmine. If there's a cutting available in April, I'd be happy to give it a try, but no biggie if it's not.

Dana - butterfly weed for carnations will work just fine.

Shannon - sign me up for a black & blue! I took one home from the spring swap last year, and it was mowed down by some varmit (deer?) about a week after I got it in the ground. :-( Now I'm armed with stinky pepper/egg spray and ready for more. *grin*

Tanya, I'd be happy to bring you some of the red-to-yellow yarrow. Looks like your peach iceplant is popular, but if you have some left, that would be great. Otherwise how about a gardenia cutting? Oh, and I saw you're looking for Solomon's Seal -- I have some variegated if you're interested?

• Ralph Whisnant
    17 years ago

Dana, I have reviewed your Trade Lists and am interested in the Asclepsias tuberosa, tall blue/purple salvia, Salvia 'Blue Hill', Abutilon 'Marion Stewart' and Buddleia 'Ellen's Blue'. You already have a Pardancanda for me and I have so far a Veronica 'Water Perry' and a Euonymus fortunei gracilis for you. From your wanted list I can supply Trillium, Tiarellas and Heucheras. I will update the list of Heucheras that I have by tomorrow evening, but there are 8 - 10 not on your list. Please let me know which of these plants you have available & what more of mine you would like.

Here is a link that might be useful: RalphW's Trade Lists

• Ralph Whisnant
    17 years ago

Adele, what can I give you for the 4-pack of climbing spinach?
    Tammy, do you have any more of the bramble plants? I am interested in blackberry, raspberry and wineberry plants. I have one small piece left of my Fairy Bells Disporum sessile 'Variegatum', and I have lots of seeds of Lilium formosanum. I may be able to get plants, too, before the swap. Is there anything else on my list that you would like?
    Shannon, how many Butterfly Weed/Asclepias curassavica would you like? I have the following that are on your want list: Sweet Woodruff, toadlilies/Tricyrtis-4 or 5 different kinds, Japanese Painted ferns, miniature Hosta 'Lemon Lime',etc. and am sowing Heliotrope tomorrow. I am interested in any of the following that are available from your list: Any of the Echinacea seedlings, any Salvia except 'Argentina Sky' & 'Black and Blue', Helenium, Butterfly weed with yellow/red center, lemon-scented Catmint, Cuphea 'Mexican Cigar' (I have C. 'Bat Face'), Delphinium 'Blue Bouquet' Hibiscus 'Red Shield, Impatien 'Neon Glossy Rose', any MG, Nasturtium Strawberry, Nicotoiana - purple, Tithonia 'Torch' and Zinnia ' Cherry Profusion'. I cannot find any info re Zizia aurea?

• tietie
    17 years ago

Mokajo, I'll bring you an iceplant and a gardenia for as much yarrow as your willing.

Dana, I'll bring you iceplant and tropical hibiscus. Would you be willing to trade for solidago and a pardancanda?

Tammy, I'll bring you iceplant for a black raspberry. Is it rooted already? I'm terrible at getting cuttings to root.

• tietie
    17 years ago

Ralph, would you be interested in Salvia 'hot lips' or something else on my list for an arum italicum or maybe a tricyrtis?

Tanya

• amyflora
    17 years ago

Hey everyone. Dumb question here. How do I get to my trade list section of my info? I feel silly asking, but am so NOT commputer savvy. Help please, so I can post my haves/wants the right way. Thank you!!!

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Ralph - I have the asclepias and the salvias for you - no problem there. The abutilon hasn't shown it's face yet and may not. I always keep one potted up in the garage to replace it, but that's the only one I have at the moment unless the one in the ground decides to come back. I usually have abutilon in the fall. The buddleia, I can only do cuttings right now. I doubt they would be rooted by swap time. I'd be interested in trilliums or I'll wait to see what heucheras you list.

Tanya - that sounds good to me.

Cutter - I'm interested in your Jack-in-the-pulpit if you see anything on my list you'd like to trade for it.

Dana

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Amy - go all the way to the bottom of the page (on the main forum page where the thread topics are listed) and click on 'Member Services'. Then click on 'Edit your exchange lists'. You may have to enter your password at some point.

I hope that makes sense.

Dana

• aisgecko
    17 years ago

Brenda, yes 'Huskers Red' is what I was thinking of. But if you have more of another I'd take that instead. I hardly have any. -Ais.

• MagickMare
    17 years ago

I just informed DH that I will be taking his truck to the swap. He sends his warmest thanks to everyone ;) (He's not a "plant person")
    I will be bringing 3 or 5 azaleas for Tanya (If anyone wants the BIG Red one, they can come get it, but it's too big for me to bring by myself).
    I don't know much about the climbing red rose, except that it's red & only blooms sparsely in the shade where the previous owners planted it - go figure. I'd be happy to bring it to the swap.
    I'll also be bringing some Peonies & Hosta for Tam.
    I've got wild ginger, cannas (orange), & tons of orange daylilies that I will also bring.

My goal is to create a nice front yard with purples, oranges/apricots/peaches, and whites - any suggestions?

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

RalphW -I am still waiting on several of my things to germinate. I got a late start on the tender things. I do have the echinacea seedlings, the Helenium flowers, and a few salvias and an agastache I will take cuttings from and try to get rooted for you by the swap. If these haven't rooted by swap time we can swap later at the arboretum. I will have to look up the Zizi again. It was a freebie in my seed order. Not listed yet that I will/can bring you S. "Lady in Red" - mine got shrubby size and it was supposed to only grow 18" and I have E. "magnus" I can/should divide. Shannon/Dirtrx

• tamelask
    17 years ago

amyflora- go to the very bottom of the page, where it says member pages. then click on edit your trade liasts. it'll want you to log in again. have at it! i took me a few mins when i went to update mine to find it again, and i've done it lots of times, so don't feel bad.

tanya, the black rasps are rooted. i don't really know if cuttings of bramble would work- i always start with tip offshoots or runners.

ralph- oh boy, you opened a can of worms. :) i've come to the conclusion we'll have to get together some other time because so much of our lists matches up! so, here's what i have that you want: black raspberry starts, red rasp starts, wineberry starts, hardy kiwi cuttings i can bring you (but don't ask me about rooting 'cause i dunno), i have marion stewart up already, and can bring some cuttings from my overwinter plant, a white fragrant perennial nicotiana, and can get you jujube cuttings (it's the contorted one), pomegranate cuttings (i think that's best in winter; but i can try now- i have 'sweet'), and i have an asian persimmon, but it's grafted. if you want to try and root it i can bring a fresh cutting. i just received 2 more pomegranate varieties, and should have stuff to cut maybe by next year from them. supposed to be dwarf, very hardy and great tasting varieties. i have sprite seeds i kept from a melon if you'd like some. it's a hybrid, so who knows what you'll get but i have actually had reasonably good luck doing that with sprites. for some reason the packaged seed is hard to find. what i'd be interested in return would be choc mint & snowflake tiarella, the disporum sessile, a blackmagic ee, cupheum 'batface', and do you have blue balsam or orange mint? i have also set aside a couple zuchetta seeds & some armenian cuke seeds. i think i can get a phygelia cutting.

dana, i've been hankering after ellen's blue. is there anything i could offer you in return for a cutting?

oh, and someone left 2 red mulberries at the last swap and i brought them home. whose were they- i don't need them and would like to get them to whom they belong. i have mulberries all over and don't need more. dana, could you use them for your silkworms?

• MagickMare
    17 years ago

Silkworms? They grow here??? Dana, do you raise them? We need to talk at the swap!! I want to pick your brains (insert evil laugh here)...

Tam - I'll take the unwanted mulberries if nobody wants them & I can learn to raise silkworms - my "other hobby" Loves them!

• tamelask
    17 years ago

what 'other hobby'? (sounds so ominous)... you have some sorta herp? dana and we both have box turtles that eat them. i'll set aside the mulberries for you- they are small and still have the orig tags. dana knows lots more about the silkworms than we do- we only raised them 1x. there are helpful websites out there, though.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Amy, is there anything on my list you'd like for your Kalimeris pinnifitida?

Sponsored