Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

o
WANTED: Time to Start Raleigh Swap Special Trades?

Posted by brenda_near_eno Z7a (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 8:28

Sorry, I meant to post this here, not on Discussions page.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Time to Start Raleigh Swap Special Trades?

brenda, this is too funny- you sound like a little kid asking if they can start their christmas list in october! :) i say yeah- after all, people who are doing rooted cuttings need to get going now or soon to have them well rooted by the swap, right? besides this keeps us all from worse addictions! hee hee. tam

o

I'm looking for a climbing annual edible vegetable to go on my back fence. It gets good morning sun and then some late evening western sun ... any suggestions and is anyone bringing something like this to the swap? Thanks, Shannon

o

Shannon, don't have any to bring, but how about climbing Malabar spinach (Basella rubra) for salads or Armenian cucumbers. The spinach has burgundy vines and pink blooms. My gang loves the Armenian cukes and the skins are thin so no peeling. It really likes to climb instead of laying on the ground. The cukes are long and skinny.

There's also a few beans like Scarlet Runner or Painted Lady. Edible if picked young and pretty flowers.

o

Shannon, I can send you some yard long beans.
Check out this thread for the photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Climbing Veg

o

I am toying with the idea of just bringing my massive pile of seed packets. They have been taking up far too much room in the refridgerator and I will never get around to planting all of them. Most of them are left overs from the big seed box that got passed around years ago.

o

Sienna- those beans are so cool! And for some odd reason I have those seeds, I got them in a seed swap. So I am going to try those. Are they good? I really appreciate the offer and the pictures.
Rootdigger- I tried the malabar spinach last year and it grew really well but never had much burgandy on it nor did it flower. I love cucumbers. Do ya think I could grow the cukes and the beans together?

o

Shannon, there are two forms of Malabar spinach (Basella) grown. The one that I usually grow (Basella rubra) has red vines and blooms prolifically later in the season, then makes a seed that looks like a poke berry. For the past couple of years, I have had a few plants come back from seed. The climbing spinach someone brought to the swap is Basella alba. Mine were very prolific plants but did not bloom thus did not make seed. Both taste like spinach, but I like the small leaves of the red variety slightly better. The larger green leaves are better for cooking. Both love hot weather. Is anyone bringing this plant to this year's swap?

Here is a link that might be useful: Basella - Dave's Garden

o

yes, shannon, yard longs are wonderful! they have a flowery, subtle flavor, sort of asparagus-y. which is why they are also sometimes called asparagus beans. the vines are more delicate looking than regular bean vines, and the flowers are lavendar. they will bear right up til frost. they are our favorite beans. if you get green beans in a chinese restaurant, it's usually what they serve. i grow cukes and beans together most every year. not sure if you're supposed to, but it's worked well for me.

i've also grown zuchetta di rampachini or something like that - from pinetree, in their italian section. it'sa climbing zuke that is very very firm, crunchy, and sort of gourd shaped, and has an excellent flavor, sort of nutty. i'm not a huge regular zuke fan, but i love these buggers. also, gourds are very pretty vines you could grow- frilly white flowers followed by whichever kind of fun shape you're growing. you can even put them in 'molds' and custom shape them. kids would probably love to watch them. i don't know if gourds, zukes and cukes could cross pollinate or not, but they are all in the same family, so i'd think the potential is there. which may or may not be a good thing.

one more- i like growing melons on a trellis. it helps with disease issues. you do have to make a sling for the fruit (hose works great) to support the weight as it grows. i do know not to grow cukes & melons in close proximity because they will cross and you get cuke tasting melons. not sure if it does anything to the cukes. and, of course, you could always use the fence as a backbone fro maters, too, tieing them up as you go. i really like vertical gardening- can you tell? :) tam

o

OK, just rescued a pot of bloodroot and several of wild ginger (the evergreen heart-leaf kind that prefers damp to dry). I'd love a low-growing veronica (I have 'Waterperry Blue' already) or a columbine seedling (anything but native red/yellow). Or anything else on my list. Or anyone's "favorite plant" - some of my favorites were plants I had never heard of until someong shared her favorite.

o

brenda, i don't need any ginger or bloodroot, but i do have purple and white, mostly double columbines (vulgaris), and single raspberry red & white (caled 'winky red' in the trade, but it's more of a rasp/burg shade). i also have scads of 'georgia blue' veronica- i think it's darker than waterperry. the foliage turns a nice bronze/burgundy all through the winter. actually i don't have waterperry and would like some. let me know if you'd like any of these. you always have stuff i drool over so i'm sure i can come up with something. heh heh. :) tam

ps- the campanulas i got last year didn't do anything, but i loved the tricostemma. i collected seed and am hoping it reseeeded enough that it comes back on its own. and the little i. zombiensis is still in his cup, just blooming away. i need to add him into a bigger pot of things- that's how i do most of my impatiens anyhow.

o

Tammy, Waterperry is too new and small yet, but I'll remember to divide out a piece for you come fall swap. I'd love columbine, and georgia blue. The trichostemma should be perennial - unless you know something I don't? My campanulas are back and vigorous - which species do you need - the cherry bells you gave me has happily taken over its spot of hard unfriendly earth. I just broke down and gave PDN some cash for a somewhat large hardy fuschia - shall I try and root some? Let me know what you're looking for, cuz you always have lots I need.

o

ooh, ooh- the fuchsia, please! wow- i'vebeen looking for one of those for a long time. yay! i was pretty sure the tricostemma was an annual ( i looked it up after i got yours), but maybe it'll come back and prove me wrong. no biggie on the waterperry- if it's like the georgia you'll be giving it away in no time. i love mine and have spread it to at least 7 or 8 spots in the yard; those blue carpets this time of year can't be beat. it's one of pete's faves, too. i don't recall which camps you gave me- i think either 2 or 3 kinds. i'll have to go back through the old thread, which i need to do anyhow. i don't recall offhand where i planted them (i'm terrible about that), but i do remember noticing they'd dissappeared last summer. i've never had great luck with camps except for the takesimanna or the cherry bells so i didn't worry about it too much (anyone want some!?) if it doesn't have a tag with it, then i often forget. just let me know if you think of anything else you want- you always have great goodies, too. tam

o

Brenda - will you have any of your love child salvia available? I'm not sure mine made it.
Dana

o

Tammy, I have pots of Veronica 'Waterperry'. Also, have V. Georgia Blue, Brenda, if you are interested in more than one. I have bloodroot, but would like more. V. 'Georgia Blue' is one of the highlights of the JC Raulston Arboretum right now. As for unusual plants, I have Caryopteris x clandonensis 'Ferndown' and C. incana 'Sunshine Blue'. I am in the process of updating my trade list.

o

anyone have snow fairy caryopteris? i adore that one. not familiar with ralph's; will have to look them up. i learn so much through this process.

ralph, i'd love waterperry. what would you like? i saved some orange cosmos seed for you- i seem to recall you wanted plants and they weren't up yet for the spring swap last year. they are easy from seed. i brought the asclepias currasavica in my cool greenhouse for the winter and they are blooming now depite my having to fight off orange aphids on them! i was wondering- do you cut yours back at any point? will they resprout & bush out that way or do they do that on their own? mine are getting mighty leggy and too tall. i did notice some itty bitty shoots coming off the base of one. i'm considering sinking the pots this summer so i can lift them in fall. i managed to tape one of the butterflies hatching. oh, and i was excited to notice the grapey penstemmon i got off of you last fall coming back as well as husker's red. yippee.

o

Ralph, I'd be interested in some of your Waterperry too if you have enough and there's anything I can interest you in.
Dana

o

Dana - was it you that wanted a Spicebush (Linderia, Lindernia or whatever its called)??? I snagged one last fall at the Arboretum give away. I haven't found everything I buried in straw for winter storage but every thing came through all right so I'm sure its here somewhere. It needs a home.

Tammy I got one of each of the PDN fuchsia's to see if any will tolerate my yard and be winter hardy. So cuttings will be available after they root in. I have more 'Gartenmeister', I believe every twig rooted. They did not like last summer's heat so hopefully this year will be better for them. I also snagged some of the regular hangy-downy kind out at the fairgrounds. That sucker bloomed all summer long with nothing but neglect! Hopefully it will enjoy my kinder gentler treatment.

Does anybody grow Phygelius?? I bought one at BB's and that guy has remained big and strong all winter long! it even has buds on it now. I am way impressed. I bought some different colors this winters and I will be setting them out also. I wonder if it grows well from cuttings....

o

i have phygelia, john. i think it likes more sun than i give it because it took a couple years before it bloomed for me and never has gotten very large., but boy, those blooms are pretty, and it blooms a good long while when a lot of others are flagging (mid to late summer for me). mine gets leggy. i've tried just popping the top off and putting it in the ground but it hasn't rooted that way. it's time to try a little more tlc, i think. i have the red one with a yellow throat, and i got it at bb's probably 5+ yrs ago.

i'm game to try any hardy fuchsias you want to toss my way. i have 2 gartenmeisters so i'm good there. they love the cool greenhouse. that one at the fairgrounds is lots more double than i typically like, but it sure is a tough bugger! at least it's good strong colors & not namby pamby pastels. ;^) tam

o

I lost my Gartenmeister this winter, so I am keen to trade for a plant. Ralph, I'd love the Sunshine Blue for another pot of bloodoots and something else you'd like? Tammy, we're good for columbine and Georgia Blue for Fuchsia cascading 'Sanihanf' and what else? Dana, I will try and root some lovechild, but I already have Maraschino rooted last fall and blooming now. Does anyone have confederate rose - my seeds have still not germinated.

o

Yes John, that was me. I've been looking for lindera for a couple of years. I'd love to give your plant a good home. What can I trade you for it?

Brenda - is Maraschino the one that was previously thought to be Furman's Red? If so, I have that one from last spring, or the fall before, and it's fine.

I need to update my trade list. My daylilies need dividing, so I'll probably be bringing quite a few named ones this year instead of my usual seedlings. Also, various tomato and pepper seedlings. I know I have lots of hellebore seedlings. I also have a couple of mature ones that need to be moved. My husband has the last week in March off to do major garden chores, so if the weather cooperates, I'll have a better idea of what I have to bring then. Anything on my current trade list is always a possibility.
Dana

o

I must have brain freeze or something I can't think of anything I want!! Ack!!

o

Thats because you keep making those roadtrips to Sandford and now have everything lol! Do you have salvias- everyone needs salvias!

Found the chocolate topping for my dessert. I'm getting ready.

o

I'm not organized yet, I haven't even started the veggie seeds yet.....this pregnancy thing is kicking my butt. Here's what I know I have.

a bunch of rooted gardenias
rooted rose of sharon (double, very light pink)
rooted tropical hibiscus (large single pink)
meidland rose (clusters of small white flowers)
mauritious raspberry (think white rose flowers on non-fruiting raspberry canes to plant between you and an evil neighbor)aka - invasive

looking for:
any camelia, rhodie, azalea. (I've lost at least 80 azalea cuttings, just haven't got the knack yet)
ginger, especially the tall kind
assorted bulbs,tubers or corms
non-annual fruit / veggies (like asparagus, blueberry, pomegranet, etc.)

tanya

o

Somewhere I have a rooted Pomegranite - the regular eating type, maybe 10 inches tall, possibly named variety (I didn't root it. Someone gave it to me). I also have the tall ginger Hedychium 'Disney' but they haven't emerged yet. If they poke their heads up above ground then I will dig a few for you.

Me want Gardenias. Lots and lots of gardenias.

o

tanya what kind of gardenias are they? the regular kind or singles or what?

o

• Posted by tietie z7b / 8 nc (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 19, 07 at 16:43

John, didn't you bring a bunch of ginger a few swaps ago, bare root in a bucket? If that was you and that was Disney, then, YEA! that is exactly what I'm lookin for. If you can find that pomegranite, great!

How many gardenias do you want, they are small with 4 leaves right now, rooted late last summer. Only you know what you feel would be a good trade.

o

brenda, i finally took the time to read your wants/haves. i'd like some black cohosh in exchange. thanks! tam

o

Tue, Mar 20, 07 at 10:04

tam, they are unnamed regular gardenias. the cuttings were taken from a bush that appears to have been grafted onto another rootstock. So there are 2 different kinds, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell the difference in the cuttings. Let me know if your interested.

o

I brought bare root Gingers but not in a bucket. When I brought them there were others nearby. Mine bloom a kinda creamy white with an orange blush to the center - the others were solid white.

o

i'm looking for the single ones- i think one is daisy and kleim's hardy is also single if i remember right. i have a prostrate one that i love. if either is single, i'd be game. otherwise, no worries. thanks, t

o

I am going to try and make it
no plants to trade but can bring
pop and bake goods

Blueangel

o

Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 10:14

john, perfect. I'd still love the pomegranite and the gingers if they show up in time. would 3-4 gardenias do for you? did you see what I wrote to tam about there being 2 different kinds.

o

Looking for any of these for my MIL
butterflyweed
zephyrantes "Pink Rain Lady"
flax
I'm still working on my have list. But I can check your list and see if I have anything. I'm still finding surprises under the mulch. Thanks, Shannon/Dirtrx

o

I don't care about the cultivar on the Gardenias - any and all are welcome. I prefer the ones that bloom the most, at a young age and smell divine (but that pretty much covers all gardenias). I have a few but I want one every 20 feet in my one acre yard. I want to smell them no matter where I am in the yard (I have the same plan concerning winter blooming Daphne's). The ones I have are just starting to get big enough to bloom and I hate to chop them up for cuttings every summer so if anyone has cuttings or small rootings I'll trade for them. I have a few that are the heavy variegated form but they rarely bloom.

I may just dig up the gingers anyway. Its time to move them somewhere else - maybe with more sun they might bloom more. I believe I could dig some of these up every year and never run out of roots. I'm just sorry I planted so many of one type! gotta look for others.

Shannon I have a few pink rain lilies but they are mixed in a pot with some yellows. Years ago I bought a bag of pinks but there were a few yellows mixed in when they finally got big enough to bloom. They are all up and ready for action.

This weekend I should sit down and figure out whats gonna go and whats gonna stay.

o

You'll have to let me know what you want that I have. Shannon

o

My "For Trade" and Want lists are updated though I expect to add to them between now and April 21st. Rootdigger, will you have Climbing Spinach and Armenian Cucumber plants or seed for the swap? I only need a couple of each, so if you have them, I will not need to buy a whole pack of seed. Hopefully, I have something you would like
Tammy, you mentioned that you grow a climbing zuchinni. Can I get a couple of seed and also of whatever is your favorite melon? I have pots of Veronica 'Waterperrry" for you and Dana. Tammy, I plan to pinch the tops of my Asclepias currasavica to make them branch. John and/or Tammy, can I get a cutting of Phygalius (Cape Fuchia) - my references suggest that this is the way to propagate them. Shannon, I can provide as many butterfly weed as you would like for your MIL if she will be okay with A. currasavica.

o

Ralph, I checked your lists and I definitely have pardancanda to trade for the Waterperry if you want it. I have several other things on your want list as well, but I may not know for sure if I can trade them for a couple of weeks. I'll check the garden again this afternoon. Also I'm interested in your Euonymus fortunei 'Gracilis', if I have anything you would be willing to trade for it.

I've begun updating my trade list, but the 'definitely bringing' list is short right now. However anything in my garden is a possibility for special trades.
Dana

o

Dana, I would be delighted to trade my V. Waterperry for your Pardancanda / Candy Lily.

o

ralph, i'd be happy to share a few seeds of the climbing zuch. i've ordered fresh seeds for this year, so they should do well. i won't have plants yet then, since i start mine late. i may have some armenian cuke seed to spare, too. it won't be this year's, but i've had decent luck with older seed germinating (it's 05 or 06, i believe without checking). i can share some melon seeds, too, but i honestly haven't had great luck raisng them (i'm short on sun). my favorite is sprite and it did as well as any for us, but i used all my seed and haven't seen it anywhere for a couple years. we never get many from any of them, and they are normally small, but they taste ok, if not super duper. i mostly try smaller melons anyhow, and strange types you can't find in the market. we treasure every bite. :) i may grow some out in my fair plot this year before i get a whole lot going for the real deal, since i have a sunny one. if i can eek enough out of my phygelia, i'd be happy to bring a cutting. i normally have the leggy stuff left from winter to trim, but it looks like it got burnt this year. i think it'll have enough new growth by the swap i can get some cuttings if it's not too soft. so maybe if not this swap, definitely in the fall, or we could meet up in summer. when you pinch your asclepias do you just do the very top? i'd like to have them bush out much lower- one is more than 2' already. thank you for the waterperry and advice! tam

o

ana, I looked yesterday, and I can pot up a division of 'Love Child' for you.

o

Hey Ralph - what about that Portulaca you were raving about earlier??? any left?

o

alicia - yes, you missed your cuttings- you were gone by the time i got around to distributing my cuttings bucket. no worries about bringing me something- i still owe you the cuttings! :) i'll post this on the other thread, too, in case you look there.

john, i have that portulaca and can give you a piece if you want. he said it was winter hardy but i cheated and brought it in the cool greenhouse since i didn't get it in the ground. tam

o

John, I have some of the Portulaca grandiflora 'Giant Bicolor Radiance' to share and it should be blooming by swap time. The primary flower color is white with a rose throat, but about 25% of the flowers will be either all white or all lavender. Tammy, it's good that you brought it inside because it is not cold hardy. What it will do that no other portulaca I have owned is winter over in the crawl space or in an unheated storage area, as long as it is protected from freezing and given minimum water. Every other portulaca that I have grown dies soon after it is deprived of warmth and/or sunlight. I still have the original plant that I bought about 5 years ago from Garrett's(sp) Nursery in Easley, SC, which shortly thereafter became wholesale only.

o

oh- i got lucky then because i misremembered what you'd told me and thought it was hardy. thanks for the clarification (and thank goodness i goofed!). yes, it has held up just fine in the cool greenhouse where it gets some light. didn't grow much, but didn't rot, either.

o

I'm trying to hold back from special trades. Got a lot going on and it can get addictive! I don't have any particular wants anyways (just want everything). But I thought I would pop in here see if the small rooted hydrangeas I brought last fall made it. I have one 'taube' and 2 'blue wave' that I layered over the winter and am potting up, so if they didn't make it I would replace them. Otherwise they will probably be up for grabs at the swap. I have some stuff already potted up and things are still emerging so who knows what else I'll find to share. -Ais.

o

Shannon, LOL.... I've only made 1 BB's trip this year! That must be some kind of record!

Ais, we'll be pulling stuff out from under the house and will let you know if they made it or not. I love hydrangeas, so I sure hope they did!!

OK, I'm starting to get my act together, or at least making progress, lol. I just potted up some winter sown white foxglove (trade seed), and some Erysimum helveticum-wallflower(bought seed). If the wallflower is the same as I grew last year it bloomed till frost. I kept waiting for it to die back from the summer heat and it never did. I will also have some sedums, no names, but I'll do 2 or 3 in a pot. I have some other winter sown stuff, and will list it as I pot it up.

Ralph, I don't have anymore of the spinach, but I'll bring you some seed from the Armenian cuke.

I'd love any gardenias or hydrangeas (yep, still into blooming shrubs), any veronicas, or gingers I don't have. Oh, and any of the medium height wood phlox's too! This is by no means a complete list! Whatcha got?

Tammy, if you have any extra of the climbing zuke I'd like to try it. I cannot grow zukes or squash (how pathetic is that!) to save my soul, maybe these would work!

I also have the Malva moschata 'White Perfection'. Very pretty and also has edible leaves and blooms.

OK, back to potting up.........
D

o

If Root is referring to climbing spinach I would be happy to send a four-pack with Amy who will be coming up for the swap to give to Ralph. John, the owner thought it would be an interesting thing to try and I agree. Let me know Ralph if you would like a four pack of them. Adele

o

root, i should have a few seeds to share. i'll make ya feel better- i struggle with squash family, too. can't figure it out- they start great and then fizzle. i think they get a wilt. i've had decent luck with the zuchetta, though. i also have that pot of coltsfoot for you if it made it thru the winter.

ais, i got one of the blue waves, and it's still plugging.

i know for sure i'll have iris cristata, lots of campanula cherry bells x takesimanna, baby dogwoods, hellebore hybridus seedlings, cuttings of hydrangea wilson 7820, lathyrus latifolia (perennial sweet pea), oxeye daisy, aqui cana babies, rudbeckia triloba, gallardia aristata babies, ratibida babes(mexican hat), a carolina jessamine, and whatever else i notice needs divvied. i'm rooting a bunch of lipstick salvias- one of which is trying to bloom already! i can always bring garlic chives, cerastium plumbago, camp. cherry bells, camp takesimanna, lemon balm, red perilla seedlings, pink physostegia, salvia black & blue, salvia uliginosa, lavendar beebalm and solidago fireworks if anyone wants them.

o

I went ahead and planted 3 newly rooted hydrangeas last fall. (I'm bad at babying over winter and figured they'd have a better chance) They all made it! YAY! I'm new to propagating so think it's just so neat!!! I think everything I get from swaps has a higher success rate than from the nurseries, despite often being smaller.

I tried to resist but I just can't... here's what I'm bringing so far if anyone is interested.
Dilys Geranium, orange asiatic lily, a few 'suncrest' lilies, 2 'the Fairy' roses, and the hydrangeas if everyone's made it. All are small pots. I know I'm bringing more, but that's what I've potted up so far and the rest is probably more common. Oh, and I have 2 ginko trees. One is maybe a foot tall and one is about 2'. And a tiny green Japanese maple. Otherwise, the stuff on my trade list is pretty up to date but I'm sure I can't sell any more acanthus or tasmanian violets ;-) -Ais.

o

Posted this to wrong thread ARGH!

bmaxx - any white lilies, pretty daylilies (thanks to rootdigger I have some gorgeous purple and grape DL's), any bulb that is yellow flowering, including the elusive bright yellow iris, since I think I have every other iris color but that.

All - I gave out a bunch of orange-red Asiatic Lily babies at a couple of swaps - would love to know if anybody kept them going and if they bloomed?

I divided a pretty lavender-flushed-pink native Geranium (Crane's Bill) for shade to trade. Looking for another color too.

brenda_near_eno - rain lilies yes please - what do you need?

Nancy the nancedar

P.S. tamelask - I'm letting you know - YES to all and what can I offer you?

o

AIS, I'd love one the the ginkos, if I have something you would like?

Tammy, thanks!! ... and yes would love the coltsfoot! What would you like?

o

Root, the bigger ginko is yours. i'd be happy to get foxglove if you've got enough. I may have pinecone gingers but they haven't come up yet. Considering my abutilon never even went dormant, I'm betting they made it and just are late to come up. If they show I'll bring some. Otherwise I'll bring them in the fall, assuming they made it. Some of my gingers are just waking up, but some show up quite late. I tried to layer a branch of my vernal witch hazel but the darned thing wouldn't root!!!
Brenda, I know you are looking for some native azaleas. I don't have any to share this year, but will be trying to layer a few branches for next year. I have a hammocksweet, piedmont, and florida flame. Also a pinxter but that one isn't doing so great. I owe you guys all so much for expanding my collection (and feeding my addiction) so I've been trying to keep others' wants in mind. Since the garden budget is near nil these swaps are heaven-sent!!! Sorry to go on so, but the weather doesn't really permit me to actually go out there so I just have to sit and talk about it ;-) -Ais.

o

AIS... Thanks, I will love the ginko! Wanted one, just didn't see it in the budget anytime in the near future. So many plants, so little time and money! I have plenty of foxglove and I also think I have some extras of native type ferns if you're interested. Is it the pinecones that send up the bloom first? They are so cool!

I haven't done a lot of layering, but I think I read that with some plants that are stubborn it helps to scrape some of the bark off. Maybe at a node, I don't remember. Good Luck with it!

o

AIS, I'd like a ginko, I have some chinodoxia, also lycoris radiata if you'd like to trade.

o

root, sounds good on the foxglove. Dtpforu (decipher your name please :) )I'll have a ginko for you and would happily take either the lycoris or chinodoxa. -Ais

o

Brenda, I do have some baby azaleas from seed but they are so small I don't know if you'll want them yet. I'll be honest and tell you that they are 1" high. They'll be a year old this summer. Either I'm not doing something right or growing azaleas from seed takes a lot of patience. I have one seedling that finally suddenly shot up to 2' in its 3rd summer -- it's not in the most pampered of places, which is probably why it took so long to get going. These seedlings are from a wonderfully fragrant Florida azalea that I got from Niche some years ago. If you want to wait till this fall to try them, that's fine, I thought I'd go ahead and tell you I have them.

o

Ais - desktop publishing for u = dtpforu. See Vickie, I remember some things!

Here's an old trick for rooting woody stemmed plants. Take an exacto knife and a toothpick into the garden. Pierce the stem with the blade (be careful) and insert the toothpick through the wound. Allow to callous over or heal somewhat before wrapping with damp media of choice or however you normally try to air layer. The wound will heal with woody tissue which grows roots better than smooth or green tissue. Its called the toothpick method.

o

Again, John has the answer! About plants and vickie's sign on. I will have to try that toothpick method, expecially with the witch hazel but maybe the azaleas too.
Alicia you are doing great to have a seedling azalea, I've never even noticed the seeds... -Ais.

o

Alicia, I'd love a seedling or two -what are you looking for these days? Ais, I'd love another of your cool Acanthus if I have something you'd like? And a Fairy Rose for something? Nance, the lilies you gave me are up. Any chance of a rosemary for some rain lilies?

o

nan- what color is katy petts? i love the minis. and i ADORE seleginella. i have some, but wouldn't mind more. maybe your shady sedum, too- i think it died out where i put it. i know i'm being dumb but what's tb iris? and a bunch of folks started posting to that thread- it looks more official. :) i think we'll fill up both. i know i'm cking both regularly.

root, some lamium would be nice. i always have need for shady groundcovers. didn't we talk about ferns this winter, too? i gotta go back and look, but it seems like i said i'd bring you some... i can always use more foxgloves. looked it up- do you want some ebony spleenwort? i can bring a jap painted baby, too, if you want.

ais, were you the one who wanted phlox divaritica (blue woodland phlox) last time? if so i have one wanderer. i'd like another anemone. not sure if the other i got will come back or not. the taz violets, mars violet and both of the acanthus are doing well, thank you!

magick- i always can bring starts of several kinds of berries. whatcha looking for?

dogridge/krystol- i didn't forget about my offer of vinca from the fall. you still need to come and get as much as you want. are you coming to this swap?

john thanks for explaining the toothpick thing. i've not had great luck air layering certain things, but will have to try that.

i will try to get my swap wants & haves list up on my page very soon, i promise. work has been crazy.

forgot when i was listing stuff that i always have verbena on a stick, too. and i will be bringing a bunch of the scentless groundcover heliotrope. i'll be bringing some of the asian climbing ferns. they germinate all around for me. i didn't get roses going this winter- the whole winter has been slammed- but i'll bring cuttings for anyone who wants to try some. i know alicia wants veichenblau. anyone else? i THINK i have some rooted dehlia's purple. i won't know for sure til they bloom, which may be about swap time. nan, didn't i save one for you one year and someone else snagged it? or did you get it? brain's fuzzin'.

o

Tammy, ok will put you down for foxglove and lamium. Yes, I'd love any ferns. It seems like there was something else you and I had talked about over winter. I'll go back and look and see if I can figure it out.

Brenda, are you still looking for a confederate rose? I was checking my winter sown containers today and it looks like the CR is starting to break through. This is from seed I got at our seed swap last fall/winter. If you sowed any of the seed we got from there it may still come up. If not I'll save you one of these.

o

Tamelask- thanks for remembering. I got a flat of vinca on sale over the winter, but could still use some more if you want to bring a few strands. You can just cut them off and I believe many of them will root on their own, once I plant them.

I'm a little behind on preparations for the swap. here's what I have so far:

5 leaf akebia
creeping raspberry
white bearded iris
creeping jenny
Rue seedlings
common thyme
I can dig small viburnum, dogwood and redbud
cuttings of camillia sasanqua 'Kanjiro'
3-5 gallon plastic pots

I also have a large selection of boulders (small to giant sized) on my property if anyone wants to arrange a special trade. Of course you'll want to come and pick out your own (bring your truck!)

My wish list:
daylily (white/pale yellow, pinks, or apricots)
lambs ear
peony
verbena bonarensis
nepeta
euphorbia wolfenii
hostas

Looking forward to the swap!

Krystol

o

Mmmm... Berries!!! My wish list is on my trade page, and it's fairly extensive. It includes Raspberries, Kiwi & Blueberries.

Krystol - Does the creeping raspberry produce "real" raspberries? I've been considering it.

As for trades, I have a lot of boxwood (VERY exciting, I know, 2 are over 6'). I also have some azaleas (one HUGE one), a bunch of hostas, TONS of daylilies, a pink peony, a red climbing rose, and a large hot pink crepe myrtle I'll help someone dig up if they want it. The boxwood, climbing rose and crepe myrtle won't get dug up unless someone wants them, or until I need the space for other plants.

The few "colorful" plants I got with the house lean heavily towards the red/pink colors - and *I* like purples & oranges!

Is the date, time & location set for the swap? I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone & would kick myself for missing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magick's Trade List

o

krystol what would you want for a boulder!? we are addicted to rocks and i would love to see what you have, and we have a pickup truck.
i have tons of vinca and you can get lots more if you need it. i'll try to get some dug before the swap for you (i consider this what i owe you from the fall swap). i hate that you bought some. i can bring you some lamb's ear for a rue seedling or 2.

root- we did chat- ck your email. :)

o

tamelask - TB means Tall Bearded Iris. The mini iris (SDB - standard dwarf bearded)is either Cherry Tart - dusky purple with bright blue beard and purple blue falls, Katy Petts - bright blue, Sun Doll - yellow, or Pippi Longstockings - yellow with purplish spots. Since I dug a whole bed this winter I won't know until they bloom which is which. If you'd like to wait I could send you pictures and trade after the swap so you would be sure to get one you like.
I'll pot up some Selaginella uncinata Peacock Moss - it is taking over my entry fern garden. I'll bring you some Sedum Lugo (shade sedum from Mrs. Lugo found at a 100-yr old abandoned house) - it taking over my patio pots (drapes if you let it). And, a pot of native Sedum Widow's Cross which I thought dead this winter but now is multiplying rapidly so remember that it goes dormant unlike other Sedums.

Nancy the nancedar

o

Keystol, I have verbena bonariensis, would love some redbuds. Also what would you like for boulders?

Magick, I have white beautyberry seeds sprouting if you're interested, LMK.

o

thanks, nan. i know just what you mean about having iris and not knowing the color tiil they bloom. i got a scad of minis from a friend last year and am anxiously awaiting the blooms this year to see what i got. she was renovating beds, and they were all mixed up. i especially like the sounds of katy and cherry- i don't care for yellows as much. that said, one of the ones i probably have from my friend is a butterscotch yellow with blue beards- really funky looking and cool. i'll have to get the names after they bloom. she also had a lovely shimmery copper, a cream, a winey purple picotee ('gypsy eyes'- my fave) and a very pretty apricot. once they bloom and i determine what i have (and in what proportions), maybe i can share in the fall. or, with john heading up to the wf farmer's market i'm sure we can swap them afterwards.

the sedums sound great. now that you mention it, i did know the native shade sedum goes dormant, since i used to have it. duh. but i don't think that's what i got from you last yr- i think it was the lugo. i would love some of the widow's cross. and i'll take whatever peacock you want to thin out. is your entry really moist? the only area i've been successful getting it going is in my bog beside the pond, but i think that's because i was starting with storebought plants that were used to moisture. when i volunteered at mordecai yrs ago, we had it through about 1/2 the beds, and it wasn't particularly moist. i think starting with plants grown in real soil would help tremendously in getting it going in a more normal environ. i know when it's happy it's a gorgeous pest. i'd like to have that problem! :) i have another selingella, not the golden kind, if you want some of it. it spreads, but slowly slowly. it may be the 'resurrection' type, because in dry whether ist shrivels up quite a bit and fills back out in more favorable conditions. want some?

o

Root - White Beauty Berries would ROCK!!! Thanks

o

Tammy, I'll bring another Japanese anemone for you. I'd be happy to get more wood phlox (though I did get some in the fall and it's doing great) I'll bring a few anemones for you, because I would think it would have shown up by now if it made it. I only have 'Richard Ahrens' to share now, but just got a couple more and they spread fast so maybe next spring...-Ais.

o

Is the plant swap date set yet? I cannot find it anywhere.
Thanks!

o

Saturday April 21st, 2007
Lake Crabtree Park
Whiteoak Shelter
From 12 noon til dusk
Swap and Picnic

I guess this weekend or sometime next week I will post a new thread with directions and all the particulars.

Basically, if you've ever been to the RDU airport you know how to get there. Same exit off of I-40 only you go in the other direction, first road on the left. Whiteoak shelter is one of the smaller shelters just past the boat rental thingamabob.

I do not have to work the farmers market that morning (its off due to the Wake Forest Herb Festival) so I should show up around noon - in my pj's - with bed head and fluffy house slippers and a diet coke.

o

so we can all come in our PJ's and slippers?

o

Shannon, my wintersown confederate rose just germinated, but I'm still looking for a rooted cutting as well(sooner bloom). My wintersown sunset coneflowers did not germinate - want to trade if you have a seedling? Carole, how about bloodroot and beautyberry for native fern (non-Christmas)and maybe a trillium? (Really hope you're coming-we missed you last fall.) John, are we trading and what? Hightider, gladly I'll bring you a datura (triple purple or large fragrant white?) for a confederate rose - many thanks.

o

Brenda,
How about trading azalea seedlings for Carolina allspice?

o

Brenda - I'm sure we're trading but I don't know what at the moment! HA HA HA. Is your little viola pedata blooming?? the one I collected in Arkansas last year. Mine is and it is so so cute. I have a Jungle Gold impatiens for you. I will take cuttings from my Confederate Rose (I have the double pink one) tres bon! I will have rooted cuttings of Tibouchina but they are tiny and may not put on enough size to bloom this year (I don't know, mine were big when I bought them). I have some plectranthus but lost some of my favorite ones. Someone years ago brought a rather ordinary leaved one to the swap but the flowers were exquisite, big sprays of pink. It dead. I sad. Me want again. Feel free to order anything from Cistus and charge me half.

Ais - Since the musical chairs theme fell through maybe we could go with a slumber party theme??? what ya'll think??

o

John, you mentioned on one of these threads something about when we first started this and I had to think about it. I was thinking it must have been the spring of 2002 because I joined in March of 02 (just lurked before that) and I'm pretty sure we had one the very 1st spring after I joined. You brought those little tiny palms (I finally have in the ground). So this spring would make it 5 years... WooHoo!

o

alicia- do you need carolina allspice? i have a huge bush that has suckers all over. i'd be happy to share and it is a fragrant one.

ais- the woodland phlox is yours. i could have sworn someone was really wanting it in the fall that didn't get some and it was you, but no worrries. i'd love more anemone. i put them in rather dry edge of the woods shade knowing they can become a pest, figuring the dry woods would slow them down. i may have to baby a bit til they get going. i'm trying to be more responsible about where i put thuggy stuff.

john, your tibouchinas will prolly be fine- i used to root some each winter and they grow gangbusters in summer. it looks like both of those oddball plects i got from bb's last fall rooted. i'll save one of each for you. i also have that one you had in your planter by the road, and the gold one if you need it. just lemme know. can i cajole a jungle gold from ya? if you come with fluffy bunny slippers don't forget a pillow so we can bop you. :)

o

Yes, John, the viola is blooming- way cute. Thanks for the Jungle Gold and conf rose! Do you have arguta, omeiense, capensis already? Do you already have Dancing Geisha? How about some Coleus 'Inky Fingers' or 'Lemon Slice' hibiscus? My greeenhouse is overflowing with seedlings-what do you need? The plec I gave you and lost is the velvety silver leaf.

Alicia, thanks for the azaela - the calycanthus is gallon size, raised from seed I collected in Florida- hasn't yet bloomed.

Anyone for a 'Natchez White', gallon size? I traded a puny one last year, so I'd like to switch with this one - gallon size and happy in pot for last year. Who got the puny one?

I still have pink dinner plate hibiscus seedlings, Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream', pink scabiosa seedlings, sundrops. I also have seedlings of a white fragrant datura that my friend swears comes back every year - we'll see. Need to thin my magnus coneflowers too. The rescue area is going into tick season, so if anyone else wants redbud, bloodroot, uvularia, or black cohosh, speak now please.

o

tam- anything on my list will do for a boulder
root- got ya down for a redbud, I'd love some foxglove, a nice patch for a boulder.

o

Brenda, I'd love Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream,' pink dinner plate hibiscus and Black Cohosh. I have one swap of Louisiana Iris and can get you a ginger (hedychium - an orange). What else would you like? Want to try some of the Malva moschata whites? I have 'alba' and 'white perfection' in that.

Dogridge - Great! The foxglove seeds came up thick so I can bring ya plenty.

o

Brenda - I have Dancing Geisha (possibly from you, many swaps ago). I have Imp. arguta (whichever ones PDN sells, I bought both). I have Imp. omeiense but it is in solid clay and has suffered under total neglect (I forgot where I planted it and stumbled upon it last year, still alive but very weak) so I believe I need more. I don't have Coleus 'Inky Fingers' but my overwintering coleus skills are so iffy whereas my success rate with Irisene and Alternathera has been so good I may switch camps on the decorative foliage plants. I also need Echinacea 'Magnus' really really bad - tis one of my favorites. So, I'm bringing you some Plectranthus argentus (argentatus??), a Impatiens 'Jungle Gold', and a cutting (possibly rooted) of Confederate Rose Hibiscus for Impatiens omeiense and Echinacea 'Magnus'. Don't worry about trading for the Plect. I feel that I am just returning a lost child to his mother - a "mother and child reunion" if you will.

In the future when I get my woodland garden figured out I will need some of those natives but I don't wanna torture them with a summer of neglect right now.

I plan on bringing lots of odds and ends to the swap so we can trade more when I know for sure what I have.

o

Wow, John, I'm impressed. You do remember some things! (You're doing better than the rest of us!)

Ais, you're on, I'll try to get you some of both. I had carpal tunnel surgery on the 8th or March and still can't use my hand very well, but I'll get what I can and send with rootdigger. I'm not going to be able to make it as I have some other plans that day, but any trades we make here, I'll get Mr & Mrs Rootdigger to get and take for me.

Here's a list of some things I have that I can trade:
Lycoris radiata
Bee Balm
Irises, different colors, mixed up now so if you like a mystery, here's your chance
Rice Paper Plant if I can get some dug, potted and going
A few daylilies, don't know what colors, but not orange - another mystery
I have more stuff, but don't know if I can get it all dug.
Thanks,
Vickie

o

Brenda, I'll bring 3 of the seedlings for the allspice.

Tammy, I would definitely be interested in your allspice too. What are you looking for?

Vicki, I am always looking for iris, and daylilies. What are your wants?

o

Alicia, I have some daylilies, what colors are you interested in? You always have stuff I want. Oh dear, so much for trying to resist.-Ais

o

Rootdigger, how about dinner plate, arguta, and black cohosh for LA iris and some of your your purple/black passalong iris? John and Alicia, sounds good.

o
And Time to Start Raleigh Swap Special Trades?

The only cuttings that have still not rooted are the fuchsia, Tammy and Ralph - still trying.

I also have many seedlings of Prunus mume, Japanese Flowering Apricot. I have open-pollinated seedlings of 'Kobai' and this year seedlings of 'Rosebud' as well, if anyone is interested. Flowers in January-February, fragrant, grows fast. Most are 6" tall, some 12" tall.

o

Ais,
I'll take any color daylily. Let me know what you're looking for -- woody? perennial? I saw on your list that you wanted ferns -- all I have is ebony spleenwort, Cinammon (likes it wet, but may do well in good garden soil -- I haven't really cultivated it, it just grows here wild), Royal fern (also likes it wet) and Southern lady, which seems to be able to take wet or dry conditions.

o

Brenda, I would so love a Prunus mume!!!!! I have Iris louisana 'Contraband Girl' that I will bring a big bunch of, if you wanna trade?

o

Amy, just a little Contraband would be divine - the apricots are small, so I'll bring you one of each color.

Hightider, are we trading and if so, what color datura would you like - single fragrant white or 'Black Current Swirl'?

Dana, do you still want a 'Lovechild'?

o

Brenda - yes, please. What would you like for it? I'm still working on updating my list.
Dana

o

Hi guys, here is my short trade list. Hope to have more in the Fall! And, yes, we have have lots of parks down this way, and would love to host the Autumn Exchange!

Iris louisiana 'Contraband Girl'
Ajuga 'Caitlin's Giant'
Lysimachia nummularia aurea
Kalimeris pinnifitida
Iris louisiana 'gamecock'
Vinca major and Vinca major variegata
Monarda 'Blue Stockings", I think
Cercis canadensis seedlings

That's it, for now.

o

alicia- i would be interested in some of your Swamp cyrilla (Cyrilla racemiflora) seed, or a start of cinnamon fern. i can bring a good sized bush- basically, it'll depend on how much rain we get and how big a sucker we can dig (i say we, but i plan to beg pete on this one). i could bring you more than one if you want- it's outgrowing its space.

krystol, i have lamb's ear, nepeta, (the low growing grey with lav flowers version), tons of verbena bonariensis, a 6 pack of hosta ventricosa babies on their 2nd year and apricot daylilies. you pick. the boulder(s) would just need to be pick-up able by 2 adults. we could get more than one if they aren't huge and you want a bunch of stuff- it's up to you; just let me know. i'm flexible. the problem with boulders is in the getting them into and out of the truck so if you have any ideas...

o

Brenda- I definitely have seedlings of echinacea. They are yours. I would love coleus "Inky Fingers". I saw on the salvia forum you put them with S. "black and Blue".

I have lots of stuff germinating and hope to update my list. I do have a few things on my member page. I am also hoping to get a few things to root before the swap.

I'll be away from the computer from Wednesday until Easter Sunday so I am not ignoring anyone. Can't wait for the swap. Shannon

o

Tammy, I will check to see if I have swamp cyrilla seed left, or if I planted it all last fall. In which case I need to check to see if any have germinated -- I planted them in a pot sunk into the ground. I can get you seed this fall if not, there's several adult trees growing wild here. I'll bring cinammon fern.

I haven't checked to see if all my perennials have come back (keep getting distracted by weeds).I do have a few extra First Breath of Spring potted up, and can always dig La. iris (unknown, orchid-colored self), Phlox divarcata, Iris brevicaulis, Miss Bessie's aster, aromatic aster, white wood aster, toothwort, Japanese Roof Iris, Ga. speedwell, Hosta with fragrant white flowers (Hosta plantaginea or Royal Standard), Monarda "Claire Grace", smooth beardtongue, spiderwort (Zwanenburg blue and a tall pink one) and bluestar (Amsonia tabernaemontana I think, grows wild here, nice bluish foliage in some shade). I can also bring rose cuttings: swamp rose (not the species, but one from Antique Rose Emporium, must be a cross with something else, semi-double, very bright pink, late once-blooming, very fragrant but oil is volatile, perfume is gone by afternoon, hardly any thorns), Sombrueil, Mermaid, and Renae.

o

Amyflora, have your arguta and apricots dug and marked. I'd love some of both 'Contraband Girl' and 'Gamecock'.

Shannon, 'Inky Fingers' is still rooting. It should root, but if it doesn't, would 'Full Moon' do?

Ralph, I found a sucker of Caryopteris 'Worcester Gold' for you, so I'm bringing you that as well as the seed for it.

John, the flowers on that violet you gave me keep expanding and blushing with new contrast color! That's a keeper for sure.

o

You folks are my heroes with all your plant knowledge. :-) I've been lurking the special swap thread for the last couple of years just to see what I should be planting. I feel a bit in over my head, but here goes!

Does anyone have any small sedums they would have to trade? I'm thinking of those great little ones in the Skoal cans from the spring swap last year. Sorry I don't remember who brought them!

Rootdigger, I'd love some of your night-blooming jasmine. And hollyclyff, if you have some butterflyweed, that would be great, too. I don't have a ton of stuff to trade, but here's my list:

http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/moka_jo

Thanks!

o

Alicia, I'd love some Iris brevicaulis, Phlox divarcata (a fav of mine) and Roof Iris if I can tempt you with some things!! I have some new stuff popping up and will post more later today.

o
RE: Time to Start Raleigh Swap Special Trades?

Brenda, Thanks for the dinner plate hibiscus, Impatiens arguta, and black cohosh for LA iris and passalong iris. I think before the swap I'll have something else for you.

Moka, I don't have any nite blooming jasmine started so it may have to be cuttings, but I can bring you some small sedums too. Nancy (brought the skoal cans) and I have about the same stuff we've swap them so many times. Would love some dianthus caryophyllus- Carnation "Clove Drops.

o

Tamelask- I would love the apricot daylilies and some nepeta. We have all sizes of boulders. One idea I have, but haven't tried, is to put the boulder in a garden cart or wheel barrow (stand cart up on end and lever the boulder in), then make a ramp and roll the cart into the back of the truck. We have a sort of "loading dock" that you can back your truck up to, so the ramp won't need to be too steep. If you have any large pry bars, bring them as they are helpful for moving the boulders.

Brenda- I would love a prunus seedling as well, anything on my list interest you?

amyflora and/or alicia- I would like some LA iris if you have enough, any color. Let me know if there is anything you want to trade.

o

Krystol, We've been wondering how to do this too and that sounds very workable. Tam, maybe we can get together to do this and that would give us both a little more muscle as far as moving them. You know I'm no help physically when it comes to this kind of thing, but if you want to wait for a time when my son is in town (he comes in every couple of months), could always draft him too.

o

root, that sounds like a doable idea to me. i was just going to ask krystol where she is, and when she want sto do the boulder thing. i think the more muscles the better for that sort of thing. im not too much help either, but will throw my puny muscles at it. :)

krystol, the daylilies and nepeta are yours, happily. we LOVE rocks. when would you want us to come and get the rocks? you can email me directly from the link & i have root's, so we can figure that out off the thread if you want. we do have a couple smaller pry bars and hub's been wanting an excuse to get abig one, so maybe this is it. would you want use to bring a wheelbarrow or do you have one to use? we could bring a handtruck, though it's lightweight.

alicia, no worries about the cyrilla. it looked interesting, but we can always do it later. cinnamon fern is great; it's one of the ones i don't have yet. if i have anything else you'd like, i'd be interested in a start of the the roof iris. is that i. tectorum? and, i'm curious, what is first breath of spring?

moka, i can be sure to pot some of the assorted sedums i have around in some containers for the swap. i have lineolaris, a round penny sort of one(john creech?), a chartreuse pointy one, and some others. i wouldn't mind some of the red to yellow yarrow you have. if you have enough sedums, instead i could bring ice plant and/or caraway thyme, which is a bit taller than you may want for pavers, but does well along the edges. i also have creeping lemon/lime thyme. i nearly always bring a few asclepias tuberosum that have popped up in odd spots in the garden (but til they pop, i don't know where they are and they come up late, so no guarantees). i can definitely bring seed if you're interested- i have lots of it. just let me know.

o

Rootdigger, I'd be interested in trading the Iris brevicaulis, Phlox divarcata, and Iris tectorum for white butterfly ginger, purple iris, and miniature black iris.

Krystol, how about trading LA iris for your white bearded iris? Is it the old early variety of white iris (Iris albicans), or something else?

Tammy, I can also bring cuttings from the Cyrilla if you want. Might be a bit early in the year but cyrilla is supposed to be easy from cuttings. The roof iris is I. tectorum. FBOS is just winter honeysuckle. I'd be interested in your plumbago and Campanula "Cherry Bells".

I also thought of a few other things I can bring if anyone is interested: cuttings from the rose Climbing Old Blush; Atamasco lily, and swamp jessamine (unfortunately is not fragrant, but is pretty and vigorous and loves wet conditions).

I am looking for foamflower and alumroot if anyone has extras.

o

Rootdigger, cuttings of the jasmine and sedums would be wonderful. I'll bring some clove drops for you.

Tamelask, I'd be happy to bring some of the red-to-yellow yarrow. Ice plant would be great -- I snagged quite a bit of it from the general swap last year and it works really well on my path. (It's a looong stone path with that circles a couple of big planting beds, and it would happily absorb a lot more plants.) Some of the lemon/lime thyme would be great, too, if you don't mind bringing it. And the asclepias tuberosum seed would be great, if I'm not getting too greedy now. :-)

Thanks!

o

moka, you're fine, i'll bring all those. i have plenty to spare. i love stepping stones with plants around them and am always on the lookout for good ones. that look is luscious. most of our stepping stone area is in shade, so it's a bit different plants.

alicia, that sounds wonderful. i'm always game to try cuttings. it's a really intersting looking plant. i'm happy to bring cherry bells- it spreads all over and i always have lots extra (you've been warned!). i can also bring the bells & takesimanna cross, which blooms like bells, but a little taller, and has glossy leaves like takesim. the plumbago is similar- once it's happy it spreads. took me 3 tries to find its spot, but it's happy now! (maybe too happy) :) never heard that name for winter honeysuckle, but it's certainly appropos. i have it. but i would love the i.tectorum.

o

Alicia, I can bring you a nice bunch of each of those, just have to remember which one the old purple iris is, lol.
I would love some of the Climbing Old Blush Rose, my piece died from last year. My own fault for being so busy getting ready for my daughter's wedding and being to worn out afterwards.

AIS, I found H. taube and it's ALIVE!! WooHoo!

Moka, I went out to check the Jasmine. I normally put it under the house but this year it stayed in the unheated garage and it's not doing anything yet. It looks green near the base but I might have killed it. If it lived, soon as it is big enough (and hardens off a bit) I'll start it and get it to you somehow, by mail or maybe the fall swap. Last year was the 1st time I ever suceeded in rooting it. It is very fast growing and only blooms on new growth so it has to be whacked back several times a year to keep it blooming, which makes for plenty of cuttings, but spring has been the only time I could get it to root.

Tanya, if you have any extra gardenia's I'd love some, any kind is great.

o

root- bad news. i'm pretty sure the coltsfoot bit the dust this winter. :( i'm sorry. i dug all through the pot and found nothing. i'm surprised- it is a weed up north. we are headed north this summer for vaca, so i can get you more then. what do you want instead?

i'm getting my trade & swap lists updated so if you guys get a chance, check and make sure i have things down accurately. i'll probably post them in the thread closer to the swap, since that's easier for all to ck. potted up a ton of hellebore babies in 4 packs today. that's always one of the biggest tasks, so i'm glad it's outta the way.

o

Tam, no worries... Whenever you run across it again is fine.

o

Busy weekend, sorry if I was slow to respond.
Brenda I'll get you the acanthus and 'the Fairy' for the pentsemon and another cimifuga (the one I got last fall just came up- yay) if you still have some of those.
Alicia, I'd take any of the ferns for dayliilies. I have to go see which ones I have to divide. -Ais.

o

Tammy, I'd love a start of the bells x takesimanna too.

Rootdigger, I'll bring you a cutting of Climbing Old Blush along with the other plants.

Ais, I'll dig some fern for you this week. Did you have a preference as to which ones?

I'm posting my trades on my exchange page to make keeping track of things a little easier.

o

ok, i got my list done on my page last night. which led me to realize a couple questions. i had brought a bunch of buddlei cuttings for folks last fall, and i think some had left by the time i was done. do any of you remember who wanted some? i brought some trimmings in this past winter and they rooted in water and will be fairly nice sized bushes for the swap. only problem is, i don't know which color (d'oh!). i have a bright mid purple, black knight, and nanho blue. i have at least 4 plants to pot up. let me know if you'd like any or all of them.

magick, i was going to ask if you had anyone who wanted your pink peony. if not, i'll take it. i'm no fan of pink in general, but love peonies, and will be happy with any color. i'd asked you about variegated or blue hostas before and hadn't heard. i have potted wineberry, black raspberry, and can pot up some red raspberry, strawberries, and maybe some others for you. i can also take some kiwi cuttings for you. i have a. arguta- a male and 'annanaya'.

alicia, i'm happy to give you some of the camp cross. i'll be bringing a bunch anyhow, because it's crept out of the bed i put it in all the way around. come to think of it, i need to add a single pink tall mum to my general list, becuase it's been creeping, too.

dana- on the lizards thread i asked you if you wanted to swap a couple fence lizards for a couple anoles to let loose. i wasn't kidding- we'd love to get fence lizards started here. i'm game if you are- just let me know. kids caught a feisty little skink yesterday who wouldn't let go of his hand- so i took a pick of it hanging from his hand where it bit! funny critter (my kid and the skink).

o

Tam - The peony & hosta are yours!! I did some research & discovered that wineberry will fruit is semi-shade... I just opened up more fruit space if thats the case! I'd love some red raspberry & kiwi as well. I have alot of chainlink fence that would be perfect for the kiwi.

I am getting so excited about the swap, I can wait to meet everyone!

o

Brenda, I would love a "Full moon" from you (ha ha) if your Inky fingers don't root. Shannon

o

Well, this thread has certainly gone downhill!! sheesh!

o

Tam - If I can catch some babies I'll be glad to bring them. Haven't seen any adults around yet.

Alicia - I have native alumroot (heuchera americana). Is that what you want?

Moka - I'll trade butterflyweed for carnations if you want.

Dana

o

Hey Shannon, I'd love some white iris and viburnum if I have something you'd like.

Some of what I have...
Althea officinalis
Alcea 'Doubles Chatter'
Beautyberry - white
Erysimum helveticum-wallflower
Malva moschata 'White Perfection'
Malva moschata - pink
Echinacea - White Swan
Sedums - variety
Verbena on a Stick
Hedychium - white
Digitalis - foxglove - white
Zephirine Drouhin Bourbon 1868 - cuttings, but am going to try to root some.
more as it comes up....

o

Root- do you have any tall sedums? I'd love a dark/burgandy sedum. I think there is one called "neon" If not I'd love to have a huge bunch of your hardy begonia for the viburnum and iris. These are the tall bearded iris. Nothing special but they are a good staple. Shannon

o
RE: WANTED: Black and Blue Salvia

Root- or if you have any hardy ferns.

John- I'm just surprised it took so long for it to go down hill lol.

Is there anyone out there who doesn't have Black and blue Salvia!!!! Newbies? I can pot some up or I can compost it. No trade necessary well although I would love to try some Kalua cookies :>!

o

Dana, yes I'm looking for the native alumroot. Trade for a daylily?

Rootdigger, I'd be interested in a cutting of Zephirine Drouhin. DH has always wanted that one.

o

magick- i should have mentioned that about wineberry. it does indeed. we love them. they are smaller and a little seedier than regiular raspberries, but they are delicious in their own way, and gorgeous. they are a little sticky when you pick them- strange. they would do really well on a chainlink fence as well if you have a lot. the vines are very long- like 20' and if you let them touch the ground the buggers tip root. they only fruit 1x a summer, about june, and it's staggered over about 2 or 3 weeks. happy happy about the peony. i don't know how to tell you to root the kiwis as i haven't done it. brenda got some cuttings last fall to do the same- brenda did it work? maybe wood material would work better. lmk if you need some more cuttings, too. just fyi, kiwi is VERY vigorous once it gets going. we have to trim ours 2-5 x a year. the fruit is very yummy, tho.

it is amazing it took us so long to have a sneaky little euphemism. it's gotta be a record. leave it to shannon...... :D

shannon i think if you composted b&b it'd grow through it! i'll bet if you bring it someone will take it home. we have a bunch of suckers- er i meant newbies, coming. heh heh - just wait til they see what we do to initiate them.

o

Alicia - What daylilies have you got to trade?
Dana

o

Shannon I don't have a tall burgundy sedum, but I have a couple of the short ones I'll start rooting for you. Still no fern babies, but I've always got plenty of hardy begonia!

Alicia, I have you down for the zeph cuttings. If I can root one (hahahahaha) I'll bring that instead. My MIL says I can put a stick in the ground and get it to grow, but roses are another story, but I keep trying and someday if I can hold my mouth just right who knows it could happen!

o

Ais, is 'Husker Red' the penstemon you want?

Dogridge, could I have some Akebia for the apricot?

Dana, how about some of your mystery blue/purple salvia?

o

Dana, I have one of each of these: Hyperion, Spellbinder, Which Way Jim, Ah Youth, Buttered Popcorn, and a probable Sparkling Orange (not certain because there is also a Norma Jean tag nearby). I also have commuter daylilies which I can divide.

o

Newbie here!!! Can you believe I don't have ANY Salvia? I guess I'll just make sure I've got plenty of baked goods to "trade"... I can't thank everyone enough for all the offers!

o

Magic, you don't know what you just unleashed, lol! We all love salvias including Brenda's 'lovechild.'

Can you tell me about your climbing red rose? I've been slowly getting into roses, but am still very much a newbie with them.

o

Brenda - the salvia is yours. Maybe you can ID it.

Alicia - I don't need any of those daylilies, but how about iris brevicaulis or phlox divaricata?

Dana

o

Dana, alumroot for Iris brevicaulis sounds good.

o

Alicia - it's a deal then.

o

Sorry I've been MIA lately.

My trade page is updated so, let me know if anything interests you. I specially have a couple plants for those people who don't care for their neighbors, very vigorous with thorns (evil grin). but the flowers are really nice.

Magick, I'd love as many azaleas as you are willing to trade for. I have rooted gardenia cuttings if you are interested or look at my list.

Vicki, I'd give my left arm for a rice paper plant, sorry the right I have to keep for operating the pruners and water hose. Take a look at my trade page to see if you are interested in anything I have.

Mokajo, I'd love some of that red/yellow yarrow. Let me know what you want to trade

Nancy, the orange lilies bloomed last year and were gorgeous!

Tanya

o

Tanya - I'm interested in your peach iceplant and tropical hibiscus.
Dana

o

OK, I'm completely new at this, but looking forward to the swap meet if I'm free that day. I don't have much to offer since I am a newish gardener, but I may have:

beautyberry (from my sister's yard in SC...may come with bonus fire ants)

rice paper plant, if I can persuade my other sister to try to stop killing it and put it in a pot for me to bring

and one native jack in the pulpit

I could also try digging up some of my chocolate mint which was recently transplanted but shows no ill effects--it grows like a weed.

and I will try to bring the aforementioned chocolate kaluha cookies.

I will take just about anything you don't mind consigning to possible death, but I'm especially looking for a mock orange (Philadelphus)...I don't know if that's totally unreasonable or not.

o

Magick- got you down for a "Black and Blue". Its a good salvia to start with.
What about you Cutter? I will check tomorrow to see if my Mock Orange has babies. She doesn't seem especially fragrant. If not I can try and bring you a cutting if you would like to try that way. And can I pot you up a "Black and Blue" also? Shannon/Dirtrx

o

cutter, i have mock orange- i can bring some cuttings. actually, i'd like to move my bush, but it's way too big. so i'll probably take cuttings for me too and since it grows quick once i know i have it going, then i'll whack it where it is. btw- it flowers in the shade pretty well. i'd love some rice paper plant if you can pry some out of your sis's hands. otherwise, some kalua cookies would work! :)

tanya, could i get a start of the peach ice plant for a black raspberry start? or anything else you see on my list you'd rather have.

o

Cutter, If it's OK, I'll just bring you an assortment of what I have, unless you want something specific? Kahlua cookies work for me, no ants please! :)

o
RE: WANTED: 2Time to Start Raleigh Swap Special Trades?

shannon looks like we crossed on our messages. my mock orange isn't knock your socks off, but it is fragrant. maybe we can both bring cutter some. yeah, b&b is a good one to start with... start taking over the world! ;). really, it's a great plant, nevermind me, i'm bein' silly. i have scads of it too and it's a favorite and easy as pie. i found out recently it actually prefers partial sun.

o

Rootdigger - no worries about the night-blooming jasmine. If there's a cutting available in April, I'd be happy to give it a try, but no biggie if it's not.

Dana - butterfly weed for carnations will work just fine.

Shannon - sign me up for a black & blue! I took one home from the spring swap last year, and it was mowed down by some varmit (deer?) about a week after I got it in the ground. :-( Now I'm armed with stinky pepper/egg spray and ready for more. *grin*

Tanya, I'd be happy to bring you some of the red-to-yellow yarrow. Looks like your peach iceplant is popular, but if you have some left, that would be great. Otherwise how about a gardenia cutting? Oh, and I saw you're looking for Solomon's Seal -- I have some variegated if you're interested?

o

Dana, I have reviewed your Trade Lists and am interested in the Asclepsias tuberosa, tall blue/purple salvia, Salvia 'Blue Hill', Abutilon 'Marion Stewart' and Buddleia 'Ellen's Blue'. You already have a Pardancanda for me and I have so far a Veronica 'Water Perry' and a Euonymus fortunei gracilis for you. From your wanted list I can supply Trillium, Tiarellas and Heucheras. I will update the list of Heucheras that I have by tomorrow evening, but there are 8 - 10 not on your list. Please let me know which of these plants you have available & what more of mine you would like.

Here is a link that might be useful: RalphW's Trade Lists

o

Adele, what can I give you for the 4-pack of climbing spinach?
Tammy, do you have any more of the bramble plants? I am interested in blackberry, raspberry and wineberry plants. I have one small piece left of my Fairy Bells Disporum sessile 'Variegatum', and I have lots of seeds of Lilium formosanum. I may be able to get plants, too, before the swap. Is there anything else on my list that you would like?
Shannon, how many Butterfly Weed/Asclepias curassavica would you like? I have the following that are on your want list: Sweet Woodruff, toadlilies/Tricyrtis-4 or 5 different kinds, Japanese Painted ferns, miniature Hosta 'Lemon Lime',etc. and am sowing Heliotrope tomorrow. I am interested in any of the following that are available from your list: Any of the Echinacea seedlings, any Salvia except 'Argentina Sky' & 'Black and Blue', Helenium, Butterfly weed with yellow/red center, lemon-scented Catmint, Cuphea 'Mexican Cigar' (I have C. 'Bat Face'), Delphinium 'Blue Bouquet' Hibiscus 'Red Shield, Impatien 'Neon Glossy Rose', any MG, Nasturtium Strawberry, Nicotoiana - purple, Tithonia 'Torch' and Zinnia ' Cherry Profusion'. I cannot find any info re Zizia aurea?

o

Mokajo, I'll bring you an iceplant and a gardenia for as much yarrow as your willing.

Dana, I'll bring you iceplant and tropical hibiscus. Would you be willing to trade for solidago and a pardancanda?

Tammy, I'll bring you iceplant for a black raspberry. Is it rooted already? I'm terrible at getting cuttings to root.

o
RE: WANTED: Raleigh Swap Special Trades?

Ralph, would you be interested in Salvia 'hot lips' or something else on my list for an arum italicum or maybe a tricyrtis?

Tanya

o

Hey everyone. Dumb question here. How do I get to my trade list section of my info? I feel silly asking, but am so NOT commputer savvy. Help please, so I can post my haves/wants the right way. Thank you!!!

o

Ralph - I have the asclepias and the salvias for you - no problem there. The abutilon hasn't shown it's face yet and may not. I always keep one potted up in the garage to replace it, but that's the only one I have at the moment unless the one in the ground decides to come back. I usually have abutilon in the fall. The buddleia, I can only do cuttings right now. I doubt they would be rooted by swap time. I'd be interested in trilliums or I'll wait to see what heucheras you list.

Tanya - that sounds good to me.

Cutter - I'm interested in your Jack-in-the-pulpit if you see anything on my list you'd like to trade for it.

Dana

o
RE: WANTED: edit trade list

Amy - go all the way to the bottom of the page (on the main forum page where the thread topics are listed) and click on 'Member Services'. Then click on 'Edit your exchange lists'. You may have to enter your password at some point.

I hope that makes sense.

Dana

o

Brenda, yes 'Huskers Red' is what I was thinking of. But if you have more of another I'd take that instead. I hardly have any. -Ais.

o

I just informed DH that I will be taking his truck to the swap. He sends his warmest thanks to everyone ;) (He's not a "plant person")
I will be bringing 3 or 5 azaleas for Tanya (If anyone wants the BIG Red one, they can come get it, but it's too big for me to bring by myself).
I don't know much about the climbing red rose, except that it's red & only blooms sparsely in the shade where the previous owners planted it - go figure. I'd be happy to bring it to the swap.
I'll also be bringing some Peonies & Hosta for Tam.
I've got wild ginger, cannas (orange), & tons of orange daylilies that I will also bring.

My goal is to create a nice front yard with purples, oranges/apricots/peaches, and whites - any suggestions?

o

RalphW -I am still waiting on several of my things to germinate. I got a late start on the tender things. I do have the echinacea seedlings, the Helenium flowers, and a few salvias and an agastache I will take cuttings from and try to get rooted for you by the swap. If these haven't rooted by swap time we can swap later at the arboretum. I will have to look up the Zizi again. It was a freebie in my seed order. Not listed yet that I will/can bring you S. "Lady in Red" - mine got shrubby size and it was supposed to only grow 18" and I have E. "magnus" I can/should divide. Shannon/Dirtrx

o

amyflora- go to the very bottom of the page, where it says member pages. then click on edit your trade liasts. it'll want you to log in again. have at it! i took me a few mins when i went to update mine to find it again, and i've done it lots of times, so don't feel bad.

tanya, the black rasps are rooted. i don't really know if cuttings of bramble would work- i always start with tip offshoots or runners.

ralph- oh boy, you opened a can of worms. :) i've come to the conclusion we'll have to get together some other time because so much of our lists matches up! so, here's what i have that you want: black raspberry starts, red rasp starts, wineberry starts, hardy kiwi cuttings i can bring you (but don't ask me about rooting 'cause i dunno), i have marion stewart up already, and can bring some cuttings from my overwinter plant, a white fragrant perennial nicotiana, and can get you jujube cuttings (it's the contorted one), pomegranate cuttings (i think that's best in winter; but i can try now- i have 'sweet'), and i have an asian persimmon, but it's grafted. if you want to try and root it i can bring a fresh cutting. i just received 2 more pomegranate varieties, and should have stuff to cut maybe by next year from them. supposed to be dwarf, very hardy and great tasting varieties. i have sprite seeds i kept from a melon if you'd like some. it's a hybrid, so who knows what you'll get but i have actually had reasonably good luck doing that with sprites. for some reason the packaged seed is hard to find. what i'd be interested in return would be choc mint & snowflake tiarella, the disporum sessile, a blackmagic ee, cupheum 'batface', and do you have blue balsam or orange mint? i have also set aside a couple zuchetta seeds & some armenian cuke seeds. i think i can get a phygelia cutting.

dana, i've been hankering after ellen's blue. is there anything i could offer you in return for a cutting?

oh, and someone left 2 red mulberries at the last swap and i brought them home. whose were they- i don't need them and would like to get them to whom they belong. i have mulberries all over and don't need more. dana, could you use them for your silkworms?

o

Silkworms? They grow here??? Dana, do you raise them? We need to talk at the swap!! I want to pick your brains (insert evil laugh here)...

Tam - I'll take the unwanted mulberries if nobody wants them & I can learn to raise silkworms - my "other hobby" Loves them!

o

what 'other hobby'? (sounds so ominous)... you have some sorta herp? dana and we both have box turtles that eat them. i'll set aside the mulberries for you- they are small and still have the orig tags. dana knows lots more about the silkworms than we do- we only raised them 1x. there are helpful websites out there, though.

o

Amy, is there anything on my list you'd like for your Kalimeris pinnifitida?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here