Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Greensboro/High Point Spring Swap! May 5th 2007

rootdiggernc
17 years ago

Here's the info...

What: The Spring Plant Swap for the Greensboro/High Point and surrounding areas

Where: Oak Hollow Park - Shelter #1 (directions below)

When: May 5th 2007

What time : The shelter is ours from 11 to 3. We can get there earlier and I'd like to suggest a 10:30 set up time and we'll start the swapping at 12:00.

This is the same place that we held it last fall. We'll stick pretty close to the way we've learned to do things at the Raleigh Swap, so if you've been to that then you have a good idea of how things will be. I'll try to remember the bell this time!

There are bathrooms and a playground for the kiddies right next to our shelter. Since the playground is right beside the shelter it might be best if the kids are not in the shelter during the main swap. Don't want anyone to get squooshed or hurt.

I don't have John's extensive knowledge of plants so I thought we'd let the people that bring the plants answer any questions that you may have before we begin. If you've arranged a special trade it would be easiest to do that in the parking lot near your cars. We should be small enough to do it this way for now.

There is a handicap ramp next to the shelter. If some of you have kid's wagons it makes it easier to unload. I'll try to locate and bring one for any of you that don't have one.

Would you all like to do a potluck this year or hotdogs and fixins? I think I can persuade my hubby to man the grill if we decide on hotdogs.

Now for the directions!

From east of Greensboro take I-40 west to exit number 210 which is the High Point/PTI Airport exit. Turn left going towards High Point (not towards the airport). Turn right if you're coming from west of Greensboro. This is Hwy 68. It's 5 miles from the exit to the park. You'll see the Drexel Heritage Furniture building on your right and the very next drive/road is it. There's a Law office (Wyatt, Early, Harris and Wheeler) right across the road from it. If you see the sign for the Jesse Haywood Washburn Memorial Dam then you've just passed it. There is a second entrance just past that sign but it takes you to another part of the park..

Once you've found the entrance there are only 2 shelters in this area and we're in #1. This is part of the Oak Hollow Dam/Lake on Hwy 68/Eastchester in High Point. Hope to see everyone there!! Thanks, Deborah

Comments (28)

• woodsworm
    17 years ago

Thanks, Deborah. Hope to be there.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Woods, hope you can make it. We're really excited about it this year, since this will be our 1st spring swap!

I have plenty to bring and still sowing and potting more about every day. No one will go away empty handed!

• Tammy Owens
    16 years ago

I wasn't at the last swap so how did you handle things? How does the swap work? I probably won't have too much to swap but I would love to meet y'all!

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

I'm looking forward to the spring swap this year. I have some things already potted and ready to go. Will probably get more before the time comes. If anyone wants to try to do some special swaps, my wants are on my page at the link below. If you don't see anything on my want list that you have, just let me know what you have to trade. Who knows, maybe I need that too! :-)

Thanks,

Vickie

Here is a link that might be useful: Vickie's Exchanges

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Cherry, we do this one pretty much the same as the one in Raleigh. All plants, (gardening mags/books,yard art, pots, buckets, houseplants, anything garden related) go on the tables. Everyone steps out of the shelter and we go round 1 and everyone grabs 1 plant/item. Round 2, everyone grabs 2 plants/items. Depending on how many people and how many plants we'll up it 3, 4 and so forth and then after everyone has had the chance to get a few of their very favs in the first rounds, we just let everyone take what they want of the rest. Special trades are done at our cars. You don't want to mix those up with the general trade stuff. There is absolutely no selling/money involved.

Newbies to this are not expected to bring the gobs that the rest of us do. If you have something great, if not no worries cause some of us old timers bring plenty of extras that we've grown from seed, divided, dug babies or propagated. We love for new people to come so we can help them get started and create new swap zombies!

Afterwards last year we had finger foods (kept it simple for the 1st one). This year we'll either do a potluck or hotdogs and fixins which everyone chips in for. This is also when we get to yack with like minded people that love to talk plants and gardening.

Hope you can make it!

• ferndottar
    16 years ago

Now that the Raleigh swap is over I thought I`d try to stir up some interest in the Greensboro swap. We will be bringing lots of things, some of which are; lemon thyme, rosemary, tangerine southernwood, lemon verbena, pineapple sage, some cistus, red barberry, large ornamental grass, bromeliads, salvia dorisiana, salvia cyanea and some other things I haven`t thought of yet. The Raleigh trade is great but wouldn`t it be nice if we could really get this trade going so we wouldn`t have to drive so far? I know there are lot of us gardeners in this area. Hope to see you all there!

Dawn and Bob

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am planning some kind of door prize, so that should be fun. More details as I think it through or I may just surprise everyone. Potluck afterwards. I've got all the plates, cups, plasticware, napkins and ice covered. Bring your fav dish to share and something to drink.

Hi Dawn and Bob! Ya'll are jewels for helping to get this rolling! Thanks! The salvia dorisiana sounds great and fruit scented to boot! I saw it described as a Tropical fruit punch, grapefruit, and/or tangerine scents! Way cool! I couldn't find salvia cyanea unless it was atrocyanea? If that's it, then what a pretty blue and 6 ft tall, wow! I have a cistus/rock rose (I was inspired by Johns). Planted it last year under the eve of an outbuilding (and on a slope) so it would be dryer in the winter (also a warm spot) and it stayed green all winter. Holding my breath now waiting for blooms. If you're into bromeliads I'll bring you some of mine. It's a species I got from dtp, but I've never been able to get it to bloom. Maybe you can help me figure it out.

Here's some of what I have to bring......
    (obr = only by request - don't mind digging but only if someone wants it)
    Allium schoenoprasum - obr
    Allium tuberosum - garlic chives - obr
    Althea officinalis
    Arundo - variegated reed grass - obr
    Begonia - hardy
    Bronze fennel (1)
    Celandine poppy (1)
    Crassula - jade/houseplant
    Crocosmia - obr
    Cryptocereus anthonyanus (aka Selenicereus anthonyanus)- (1 or 2 cuttings)
    ZigZag orchid/houseplant (1 rooted)
    Digitalis - white foxglove
    Erysimum helveticum - wallflower
    Hedychium 'white'
    Hypericum calycinum - St John's wort
    Iris cristata - obr
    Iris mini - family passalong
    Mallow - mixed seedlings
    Malva moschata - pink (will have a few whites too)
    Oenothera speciosa 'Siskiyou'- Mexican Evening Primrose 'Pink' - obr
    Also have the Yellow Primrose - obr
    Polygonum multiflorum - Fo-Ti cuttings, easy to root - obr
    Sedums - assortment - obr
    Verbena bonariensis
    More later......

My seedlings that were zapped by cold temps became sluggish for a while but I think they're starting to take off again. The wallflowers are looking great and the white malva moschata is starting to take off again. More is sprouting!

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

I'm going to set up a forum for special trades. I'll add Rootdiggers and ferndottars lists on, also.

Watch for it!

Vickie

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks V,... and BTTT

• lazygardner-nc
    16 years ago

Never been to a plant swap, but sounds intriguing. Are tropicals accepted? I have tropical ladyslippers to trade.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi lazygardener, would love to have you come. All plants are welcome and I would love to do a special swap for one of your tropical ladyslippers if I have something you'd like! If you're into indoor tropicals I have a species bromeliad I can share or a night blooming orchid/cactus (no spines).

If you have any questions (that I haven't covered above) let me know.
    D

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey folks, would really appreciate a show of hands?

• K
    16 years ago

I am going to try to come, but can't say for sure yet. I can bring a couple of rooted brugmansias (in water). Other than that, I probably won't have time to get anything together as this is the busiest time of year for me.
    Kitty

• woodsworm
    16 years ago

I'll miss you. We just can't do it all, can we? I plan to go to my first meeting of NC Native Plants Society and SC NPS this weekend. Have a great time!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kitty, hope you can make it!

Woods, I understand and hope you have a wonderful time at the NPS meet this weekend. Was looking at their website and it sounds wonderful! Are you going on the canoe tour of the Spider lilies on the Catawba river? What an awesome site to see!

• maryann2007
    16 years ago

Hello! I'm very new at all of this, so I guess you would know that I have never been to a plant swap. If it's OK I'd love to stop by and see what's happening.And meet some people that likes gardening and planting like I do. We just got our garden planted yesterday Also my flowers and Herbs. The herbs are my favorite. Like I said if it's OK I'll stop by Sat. between 11 and 3.
    OH by the way I don't have anything to bring to trade. But I can watch.
    Thanks
    Maryann2007
    Byrdnmber2@yahoo.com

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maryann, excited that you're going to join us and don't worry about plants, bring something for the pot luck and your fav drink. Also an empty trunk because you will have some new plants to take home. :)

What kind of herbs do you need and I might have some for you. I always have lemon balm, greek oregano, thyme, etc.

• maryann2007
    16 years ago

I'd like to get
    caraway
    garlic
    lemon balm
    tarragon
    stevia
    If I can get a least one of these I'll be happy as a lark.
    I really like the different sage and salvia, I have a few salvia, May night, and snow hill, and Lady in red.
    Hope to meet everyone on Sat.
    Maryann

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maryann, I can certainly bring you some lemon balm, but it'll probably pout for a while as it doesn't like being moved. Wrong time of year for garlic (plant it in the late fall) unless you meant garlic chives? My stevia is just now returning but I'll try to root some or dig some for the fall swap if you like.

• ferndottar
    16 years ago

Hi there!
    Rootdigger, thank you for all the trouble you are going to to put this together. You wanted a head count... Bob and I will be there, we plan to bring his sister, maybe his exwife, [she`s nice!] and maybe a young person or two. That would mean someone in their twenties! Since it`s Cinco de Mayo I thought I would bring something like a taco salad or cassarole. I will bring plates and silverware.
    Kitty, it would be wonderful to see you, whatever happened to Puddle of Mud? The two of you put so much effort into the Triad Spring Trade last year. We had a great time, thanks to you.
    Does anyone need any bird house gourds? We have lots of them dried.
    Maryanne, we will have lots of herbs for you. I kind of went crazy when I discovered how easy it is to root rosemary and thyme.
    See you all soon!
    Dawn and Bob

• ferndottar
    16 years ago

Maryann,
    I just looked at your seed list and wondered if you could bring me some of your allium seeds? They are so popular with the hummingbirds. I didn`t mention that I will be bringing scented geramiums too. I think there are four kinds. Rootdigger, on the salvias it will be a guessing game. I got them from Sandy Mush last year and brought in cuttings, not really sure which is which anymore. The salvia cyanea was how he had one of them labeled.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have decided on some door prizes......
    Came the farthest
    Newbiest gardener
    Been gardening the longest
    ..and a couple drawings which everyone can take part in. Nothing fancy but should be fun.

I'm still potting up. Today I did a few houseplants, jade, philo, a weird aloe, and a couple other odds and ends.

I have all the paper, plastic (plates, cups, napkins, plasticware) and ice covered. I'm also bringing chicken and some kind of salad or baked beans.

Remember newbies, if you don't have any plants you can always bring food.

You can also bring seeds, cuttings, garden mags or books, pots, yard art, buckets, or anything else you can think of that's garden related and you want rid of. Time to clean out the shed?

Dawn and Bob, guessing game salvias are fine with me! Will plant and see what happens. Glad you're bringing guest, the more the merrier! Please bring some of your bird house gourds. I know my husband would love those! I have one of the old long handle dipping gourds hanging above my desk that I think Don's dad or maybe granddad grew. It's pretty cool!

• maryann2007
    16 years ago

Hello Everyone!
    I'm really looking forward to Sat.
    Ferndottar I will gladly bring you some Allium seeds.
    Rootdiggernc, I'd be happy to wait to the fall for the stevia and garlic.
    by than I should have a few thiings to bring.
    Please look at my seed list and let me know if you want somethng from it, and I'll bring it Sat.
    I also have some small pots to bring if someone would like them I don't use them.
    I'll to fix something good to bring Sat.
    See you all then
    Maryann

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Does anyone have any extra moonflower/Ipomoea alba (the vine, not datura) seeds? I went to start some soaking and discovered I'm out or have misplaced it or something.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like it's going to be another rainy cool day tomorrow. I know we about froze to death last fall, so I'm looking at some options to get us indoors. Will post something later after I check some things out.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We're all set. Got a couple tarps to block the wind on the end and side of the shelter that is towards the lake (that's where the breeze comes from). Also we're bringing a small heater to set in that protected corner. Between the tarps and heater it should be pretty nice inside the shelter.

This should work great, but if it was to be really nasty Mr Nelson (of Nelson's Nursery) has said we could set up in one of his greenhouses. So we have a backup for our backup. :) The only thing is since he's having a big sale tomorrow, we would need to shuttle everyone to the place,... so we don't use up all his parking. It's only 1/2 a mile up the road from where we'll be. By the way, he has the white Cat's Whiskers!

• K
    16 years ago

How was the swap?

Wish I could've made it. Between scheduling the kids' move out of their dorms, and getting my own exams and projects finished (still underway), I just couldn't get there! Maybe an early fall swap, or has one already set one up?
    Kitty

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kitty, I can only speak for myself, but I sure had a lot of fun, lol... I think the others did too! We grew from last fall and had way more plants than anyone needed. We will do another in the fall (our 2nd fall swap). I meant to ask the gang, but I think I'd really like to do some crockpots of chili and also grill hot dogs this fall. If it works out I'm also planning on having a guest speaker on natives so that should be cool. Hope you can make it.

Here are the pics from our swap and the Raleigh swap.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2007 Spring Swaps

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!