Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

HAVE: 2011 Raleigh Spring Swap

trianglejohn
13 years ago

Raleigh Spring Swap 2011

Saturday April 23rd, 2pm til 4pm

Pine Shelter - White Deer Park - Garner, NC

Everything will be the same as in past swaps. Show up early if possible and help folks unload their swaps.

For first time swappers "Raleigh Swap Newbies" - we don't care if you have weeds (natives) or high dollar orchids. If you have plants to give away and want thems to go to good homes, this is the place to be. We trade anything and everything. If you don't have much, don't worry - we don't have rules about that either. It would be nice for everyone to bring snacks or food to share (this usually gets organized on a separate thread titled "Food for Raleigh Swap" or something similar). We average about a 1000 plants and 30 people so everyone goes home with more than they came in with. There is a group of wild and crazy gardeners that have been coming to these swaps for a million years and we can get kinda loud - it tends to scare people on their first visit, don't worry, we've all had our shots and are completely harmess. All we want to do is spend an afternoon with fellow gardeners and trade plants. For anyone wanting to bring gardening stuff that isn't alive you are welcome to do so, plants are the main focus and non-plants tend to get overlooked so don't be surprised if you end up taking it back home. People have traded bags of chicken poop, old gardening magazines, stacks of plastic pots, statues... you get the picture.

How it works: You show up early and place your plants in with all the other plants (there are no sections - we do this on purpose). You find a spot away from the shelter were you can stash the plants you grab during the swap. I stand up and welcome everyone to the swap and ding a bell, you get to grab ONE plant and take it to your stash zone. We do this two or three times before we change it to TWO plants per ding and then THREE plants and finally we have a free-for-all where everyone wrestles for the left overs. Then we break into the food - luckily the bell is retired and we can just eat like civilized people. If you have something that is extra special you may choose to arrange a "Special Trade" with someone (usually a separate thread is started for this). Special trades are handled before and after the general swap to avoid confusion. We have the shelter for 2 hours and everything is pretty much over with in that amount of time.

Here's the town of Garner's web page about the park:

http://www.garnernc.gov/Departments/Parks%20and%20Recreation/Parks.aspx?ID=25

An easy way to get there is to take the Beltline to exit #299 and turn South (away from downtown Raleigh). The road you are on is Hammond or Person (it has two names). Stay on this same road as it crosses Hwy 70, by now it has changed names to Timber Drive. Take Timber Drive all the way to Aversboro Street and turn Right (this intersection has a Wallgreens, a CVS and a Lowe's Foods). There is a small city sign showing how to get to White Deer or Lake Benson Park. White Deer Park is on the right side of the road. There is a church on the opposite side of the street. If you see a big wooden sign for Lake Benson you have gone one short block too far.

Once you enter the park take the first turn to the left and drive until you see the big parking lot. I think the parking lot is one way. Our shelter is after the turn and right up against the parking lot. Look for the small sign that says "Pine" up on the eave of the building. There is a map on the park website above.

The parks address is: White Deer Park 2400 Aversboro Street Garner NC 27529

Comments (28)

• woodsworm
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yea, John! Life just got better.

• bonnie_il
    13 years ago

John this sounds great. I'm new to the area. And get misplaced a lot (never lost because I eventually find my way home lol). I am going to try and make it.

• brenda_near_eno
    13 years ago

SWAP!!!!SWAP!!!!SWAP!!!!SWAP!!!!SWAP!!!!SWAP!!!!SWAP!!!!

• Ralph Whisnant
    13 years ago

I have added to my list of stuff to trade. I am still working on the want list. Here is a link to the latest version. http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/ralphw

Here is a link that might be useful: RalphW's Trade Page

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

I'm not sure if I'll make this one or not. Have to road trip to California and may not be back home in time. Ralph, if I'm here, though, I'd love to work out a trade for Begonia taiwanensis.

• Ralph Whisnant
    13 years ago

Karen, I confused the names of two of my begonias. The correct names are B. taiwaniana and B. taipeiensis. Glasshouse Works lists B. taiwaniana, but I a cannot tell if it is the same as the one Mark, the Assistant Director at the arboretum brought back from his plant collecting trip or not. I will try to find out tomorrow. I cannot find a listing anywhere for taipeiensis, his other find. Anyway, I will set aside one of each for you if you are still interested? I also have some new salvias that are big enough to take cuttings from if you are interested: S. 'Costa Rica Blue, S. 'Jean's Purple Passion, S. chiapensis and S. dorisiana. The latter has very pleasant smelling leaves but has yet to bloom. The first three have great flowers, and chiapensis also has very attractive, shiny leaves. I also have just acquired seeds of the following. Let me know in you are interested in any of these seeds.S. barrelieri, canariensis, clevelandii, discolor, disjuncta, gesneriiflora, juriscii, lavandulifolia, lyrata, nilotica, roemeriana, transylvanica and tillaefolia. I cannot find any mention of this last one - it may be tiliifolia.

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The town is asking me to jump through some hoops in order for us to have the swap. I don't think we will meet their criteria. The swap may have to move to my house.

Stay tuned.

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, now the town says that I only have to fill out the additional paper work but I don't have to pay the extra fees and prove that I have insurance for the swap. So everything is back on schedule.

We hope.

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

Ralph, both of those begonias would be fabulous. I found references for B. taipeiensis, a natural and unidirectional F1 hybrid between B. formosana and B. aptera in Taiwan. Interesting to read about the biology. I'd also be interested in the 'Jean's Purple Passion' and some of the Salvia seeds (barrelieri, gesneriflora, juriscii, roemeriana, lavandulifolia, and clevelandii). I'll have to go look and see what I have new that would interest you in return.

• Ralph Whisnant
    13 years ago

Karen, email me your address if you would like me to send you the Salvia seed now. I will take some cuttings of 'Jean's Purple Passion' this week. I just remembered that I also have some of the Sally G series of Salvias if you think that you might be interested in them.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

as always looking forward to the swap, seeing everyone and of course sampling all the good food :) - got some goodies started and getting some things divided .....

Lynne

• rootdiggernc
    13 years ago

Easter Weekend!!! Noooooooooo!!! I so wanted to see you all this year! OK, we'll just have to make other arrangements. 8) We'll be out of town but are coming thru there either Thursday or Friday, or we could stop on the way back and trade some Britt's donuts for plants, lol.

• woodsworm
    13 years ago

daphne? Anyone have daphne? I'd be happy with a couple of cuttings. The winter-blooming, sweet-smelling shrub.

and "real" jacks-in-the-pulpit (not the arum italicum).

I just updated my trade list.

Can't wait.

• hosta200
    13 years ago

Woodsworm, I have jack-in-the-pulpit and some Green and Gold. I would be interested in your celadine poppy and
    trillium cuneata. I also have a nice ostrich fern potted up. I hope to do some dividing of things this week to see what else I can bring.

• woodsworm
    13 years ago

Hosta200,
    I'll save you some celadine poppy and trillium cuneata. My husband is interested in the ostrich fern, and I'm greedy for Green and Gold and jacks.

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woodsworm - I'll bring a small Daphne odora. It's tiny and they grow really slowly so you'll probably break down and buy a blooming sized shrub before this one ever blooms. You need to take the cuttings in the middle of summer. They are easy from cuttings and sometimes the stems have flower buds initiated so you will get tiny blooming baby trees the next spring. I need nothing in return.

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Woodsworm - A couple of years ago, I got a lovey green & white spotted leaf begonia (houseplant) from you at the Greensboro/High Point swap. To make a long story short, I no longer have that begonia. Is there any way that I can get another one of those begonia from you? If so, please look at my trade list and let me know what I can bring you. By the way, how's your ginkgo tree?

• woodsworm
    13 years ago

jdb -- ginko's happy, thanks. Sure, I have some begonia for you. I'd love some lemon thyme, please.

John -- once again you save me from my ignorance. Thanks for the daphne odora tip and yes, I'd love whatever tiny one you have.

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

woodsworm - I potted up your lemon thyme lastnight. See ya at the swap.

• brenda_near_eno
    13 years ago

Bumping this to top.

• hosta200
    13 years ago

I finally had some time to dig up some plants. I will be bringing varigated solomon's seal, bee balm, forsythias, perenial blue agrigatium, pink columbine, peacock moss, dwarf solomon's seal, toad lillies, Cranefly orchid, yearling poet's laurel, lilly-of the valley, oregeno, black berry lilly, sensitive fern, 1 butterfly bush, 1 sm crape myrtle, virginia chain fern, bellworts- perfoliata & sessilifolia, jack-in-the-pulpet, 1 hardy Ginger Lily, 1 alocasia calidora, Cunninghamia lanceolata, and other stuff if I can get to it.

woodsworm- I have a few green and golds, jack-in-the-pulpet (both dark and light spathes)and ostrich fern for you.

• deirdre_2007
    13 years ago

For almost 6 years, I've been trying to attend a swap. I shall attempt yet again!! My hubby is working (he works for an insurance company and is straight out trying to take care of all the poor people affected by the horrific tornadoes last week), so he's not here to distract me from going. Unfortunately, since I never saw this until this morning, I do not have any plants, save for a few sage plants which I'll be happy to pot up for the occasion. I will bring food to make up for my guilt. (I posted what I'm bringing on the Food thread.)

I will attempt to bring my two daughters and my son as well. I look forward to meeting all of you wonderful people who have responded so promptly to my NUMEROUS questions over the years.

Thank you
    Deirdre

• deirdre_2007
    13 years ago

Okay, my son only napped for an hour, so I did not have time to even attempt the mac & cheese. I truly apologize.

• sagedoc
    11 years ago

Have Kerria, Symphoricarpus, Euonymous alatus (Burning Bush), Nandina, Prunus mume (Flowering apricot), Chionanthus virginicus (seedlings) Golden Rain Tree, and Buckeye

• elsiefay
    11 years ago

Woodsworm,I have some extra rose moss,are you talking about the low growing mixed colors? I would like some celadine poppy.If you are intrested.

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sagedoc & elsiefay - these responses are for an old thread for last years spring swap. You might want to repost them on this springs thread.

• babelsrus
    11 years ago

Bringing some very common stuff but at least not empty handed!
    Vinca major-a six pack
    Lambs Ear-six pack
    Cluster bell flower-six pack
    Ligustrum
    Variegated forsythia
    Catnip
    Bugle weed
    Red monarda
    A purple and white columbine (with volunteer morning glory)
    perennial begonia,
    Jack in the pulpit (green)

Pink ice plant (volunteer bee balm)
    Some containers plants came in assorted sizes
    House plants- African violets,rooted prayer plant,golden pothos-rooted not potted

Have if wanted but not potted up,black eyed susans
    Irises,old fashion mum-booms white fades to pink,baby nandina seedlings,oxalis-green with pink flowers,burgandy with white,burgandy with pale pink,green with white,false solomons seal,Purple heart,pachysandra,mondo grass,sedum-plain and variegated
    Also, bringing daughter and 10 month old puppy,would consider a swap for puppy for the right plant :)

• babelsrus
    11 years ago

Oops jk wrong swap

Sponsored