Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Details of the Raleigh Spring Swap

Posted by trianglejohn z7b NC (johnbuettner@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Mar 28, 06 at 14:42

Raleigh Spring Swap 2006

Raleigh Spring Swap will be held at Creech Road Elementary School Park which is the same spot we held the swap a few times ago (though I believe it was a Fall Swap back then). The park has a large shelter with bathrooms and running water/electricity. The shelter is a short walk from the parking lot so be prepared to haul your plants to and fro. This town park is a combination Elementary school playground/city park recreation area - so if you can find the school you can find the park. The shelter is at the back of the schools parking lot on your right as you drive in.

Set up begins at 11:00am (though if you show up early and no one has rented the shelter feel free to stake a claim before the madness begins). General Swap begins at 12:00noon and should end by 12:30pm. As soon as the dust settles and weve broken up any fistfights we will all sit down to a pot luck picnic lunch and behave like civilized gardeners. At any time special trades can be conducted either at the shelter or in the parking lot. We have to exit the shelter by 2:00pm - but if we still havent gotten sick of each other there are picnic tables nearby where we can sit all afternoon long if we want. Keep in mind that the shelter rental is more flexible on the pre swap hours as opposed to post swap, so arriving early is highly recommended. The parks staff cleans the shelter so we just need to get anything important out of their way. I am asking that anyone lurking about with nothing to do please please please help the swappers move plants from the parking lot to the shelter (and the reverse after the swapping is over).

You can simply plug this data into mapquest (www.mapquest.com):
Creech Road Elementary School
400 Creech Road
Garner NC 27529

Mapquest will also give you detailed instructions on how to get from your house to the park and back home again. For those of you somewhat familiar with the area, here are the basics:
Garner is a suburb of Raleigh. Downtown Garner is 10 minutes from downtown Raleigh and due south of it. The swap location is just past old downtown Garner on the east side of town, north of Hwy 70. Though many of the roads I will mention are highways, in this area they look and feel more like city streets. Get off of Interstate 40 on exit #299 and head south (away from downtown Raleigh). The road you are on is called Person Street or Hammond Road depending on which direction you are going, as it comes into Garner it becomes Timber Drive (there is no "welcome to Garner" sign on this road). Pretty soon you will approach a large intersection of Hwy 70 and Timber Drive. You want to turn left and head east. There are two left turn lanes at this intersection, choose the right lane of these two rather than the far left. You will go through a few traffic lights. The street Vandora Springs will cross overhead. The next street crossing over the highway is Hwy 50, exit on the right onto Hwy 50 and cross over Hwy 70. At the first traffic light turn Right onto Old Garner Road East and head east. At the next traffic light turn Left onto Creech Road. You will see wooded parks and tennis courts and baseball diamonds on your right. The Elementary School is just after all of them, on your right with a large blue sign. There is only one parking lot. The shelter for the swap is at the end of the parking lot on the right hand side.

Any of the above information can be influenced by excessive amounts of whining or tantrum throwing. Threats of bodily harm and good ol fashioned bribery will work as well.

Keep in mind that we have a collection box to fill with prized plants for our gardening friends affected by Hurricane Katrina. And that during lunch special door prizes will be awarded to the most Red-neck container AND for the seedling/plant still in its original container from a previous swap.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Details of the Raleigh Spring Swap

There is no date on here John
Clare

o

ooops! sorry

Raleigh Spring Swap
Saturday April 29th, 2006
11am - 2pm
Creech Road Elementary School Park
Garner NC 27529

o

Hi John: I'm a newbie and can't figure out where the thread is to post what food I'm bringing. Can you help?

Thanks
Robin

o

Hey Robin, here's a link to the food list. It's on the 'Conversations' board

Here is a link that might be useful: Food List

o

Robin - you can simply send all your food offerings directly to me. I will sample/taste test and then bring the left overs to the swap...

I have a reputation for always eating while everyone else is swapping. They claim to have photographic proof.

John

o

Hello,
I live in Garner and would love to visit you folks. I have a ton of Iris that need to be divided soon, I will have some in pots for fall. Do you swap in the fall? I am so glad to have found you. Thanks Teresa

o

John you are a nut! I'm off to the conversation board. Thanks for your help.
Robin

o

blossom, you could divvy and bring them in bags to the spring swap if you wanted. doesn't have to be fancy. we do have a fall swap in september. come, even if you don't have anything to bring(see newbie thread). just bring nibbles & you're more than welcome! :) tammy

o

Hope everyone's ready for the big Raleigh Plant Swap Blowout!!!

Last reminder to check the food list and a suggestion to print the directions out and go ahead and put a copy in your car/truck. Would hate for anyone to miss this cause they can't find us!

Here is a link that might be useful: Food List

o

John, Thank you for those excellent directions!
Jeff and I are looking forward to meeting all of you. Will people have nametags?

o

Everybody clear on how to get there??? You will know you are at the wrong park should you mistakenly head over to Lake Benson Park where we usually hold the swap. There is a scout function over there with about 600 people camping on park land - pretty hard to miss.

I will check this posting before I head to the park around 10:30 ish just to help anybody out that seems confused.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here