Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanted: have: charlotte spring plant swap 2013- april 21

Posted by laineyplantgrower 7b- Charlotte, NC (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 14:51

Charlotte Spring Plant Swap 2013
SUNDAY, April 21, 2-4pm
Shelter #3, Park Road Park, Charlotte, NC

For first time swappers - we don't care if you have weeds (natives) or high dollar orchids. If you have plants to give away and want them to go to good homes, this is the place to be. We trade anything and everything. If you don't have much, don't worry - we don't have rules about that either. Hopefully everyone will go home with more than they brought! Other gardening stuff is also welcome- pots, books, magazines, potting soil, tools, statues, etc.

Please label your plants. Something simple like "yellow daylilies" or "cactus houseplant" or "shade ground cover". This will make it easier to know where to plant the new plants we take home!

How it works: You show up early and place your plants in with all the other plants (there are no sections - we do this on purpose). You find a spot away from the shelter where you can stash the plants you grab during the swap. I will stand up and welcome everyone to the swap and ring a bell. You get to grab ONE plant and take it to your stash zone. We do this two or three times before we change it to TWO plants per ring and then THREE plants and finally we have a free-for-all where everyone wrestles for the leftovers. Then we break into the food! If you have something that is extra special you may choose to arrange a "Special Trade" with someone. Special trades are handled before and after the general swap to avoid confusion.

After the swapping is over, we'll sit down to enjoy a potluck meal/snack with our new friends, so please bring a dish to share along with your plants. In lieu of a dish, you could bring paper plates, napkins, cups, ice, etc, just post here what you're bringing so we don't have too many. Also, if you are inclined, you can leave a small donation toward the renting of the shelter.

Park Road Park is located near the corner of Park Road and Tyvola Road. Directions: from I-77, take exit 5 for Tyvola Road, turn east as if you're going to South Park Mall, go 2.5 miles, turn right onto Park Road (at AutoBell), take the first right onto Closeburn Road, which is also the park entrance, then take the first left into a long parking lot and shelter #3 is at the end of the parking lot. The small #3 on the shelter is hard to see. If you find yourself at a playground, you're at the wrong end of the park. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: have: charlotte spring plant swap 2013- april 21

Would love to attend this spring but don't have transportation. If anyone lives near steele creek let me know.

o

I will be there. I am bringing Red nd Pink Bee balm. Bonfire Dwarf Peach tree have lots of these. Chocalate, lemon and spearmints. Limelight woodworm and canterbells pink. Has anyone else said they were coming?

o

Yes, there are others who are coming. We'll have an ad in at least 2 local papers, and it's already on "Charlotte on the Cheap", so I expect around 15 people, which is what we had last time.

Get this... when I reserved the park shelter by phone, instead of hearing "Plant Swap", the agent heard "Plant Flop", HAHA! :) So that's our official title for this time.

o

Karen Parker says:
This will be my first time at the Charlotte Plant Swap. I'm excited! My mother and I will be bringing purple iris, crepe myrtle, lambs ear, orange double blossom daylilies, seeds and some other goodies.
Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Karen
-----

I may have to stop her in the parking lot and just load all of her stuff into my car! See everyone tomorrow!
-Elaine

o

Join us at the Clover Plant Swap this Sunday, May 19 from 2-4pm at the Clover Community Park.

Clover Community Park
Bethel Street/SC-55 to Quinn Road [Circle K on corner directly across from the Clover Post Office], turn right onto Community Park Drive. The Plant Swap will be in the small shelter.

o

I feel bad that i missed it. Hope i will make it next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here