Houzz Logo Print
magickmare

WANTED: Spring 2014 Raleigh Swap

MagickMare
10 years ago

Reposting from John on our fall swap thread:

Posted by trianglejohn z7b NC (johnbuettner@hotmail.com) on
Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 14:13

Hey everybody! Hate to hijack on old thread but for some reason I can't start a new post and I can only sometimes respond to other people's posts. Not sure what I did to piss somebody off....

Anyway, the Spring 2014 Raleigh Swap is in the same location as always on Saturday, April 19th (Easter Weekend) from 2 to 4. All the other weekends were booked and more than likely the shelter will be booked before our swap so come prepared.

Hopefully winter will be OVER by then.

Can't wait to see everyone.

Comments (35)

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

John,
    Thanks for posting. I'll put it on my calendar. I can't wait to see everyone.

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

Hooray!! Spring is almost here. See you soon everybody. :)

• trianglejohn
    10 years ago

Yay! Its seems to want to work today!!!

The Raleigh Spring Swap will be held Saturday, April 19th, 2014 at White Deer Park (Pine Shelter) in Garner. The shelter is reserved from 2pm til 4pm. Swapping will begin around 3 depending on how soon we can get into the shelter (its booked before us).

We have three activities going on at the same time - the general swap, special trades, and the picnic. You are free to join in on any of them. The general swap is done in a modified Round Robin style where I ding a bell and you get to grab a limited number of plants and then stash them in your special hiding spot away from the shelter. After a few rounds all heck breaks loose and we just grab all the left over plants. The special trade swaps are off to the side and are where you exchange plants one-on-one with someone you have arranged a trade with. There will be a Special Trades thread started here on the Carolina Garden Web Exchange subforum to handle all the details. The only rule is that you need to keep your special trades away from the main shelter or else someone may take them during the general swap. The picnic is after the swapping. A Swap Food List thread will also show up where people can announce what they will be bringing. There are a few grocery stores nearby so that items can be picked up on your way to the park if you don’t want to cook.

As in the past we have no rules, you are free to haul anything gardening related to the swap and give it away - this includes live plants, seeds and bulbs, cuttings, pottery, tools and equipment. One thing that sets our swap apart from others is that we do not require you to even bring plants to participate. We always have way more plants than people. If you feel guilty taking something for nothing you can always bring food for the potluck picnic.

Here’s the town of Garner’s web page about the park:
    http://www.garnernc.gov/Departments/Parks and Recreation/Parks.aspx?ID=25

An easy way to get there is to take the Beltline to exit #299 and turn South (away from downtown Raleigh). The road you are on is Hammond or Person (it has two names). Stay on this same road as it crosses Hwy 70, by now it has changed names to Timber Drive. Take Timber Drive all the way to Aversboro Street and turn Right (this intersection has a Wallgreens, a CVS and a Lowe’s Foods). There is a small city sign showing how to get to White Deer or Lake Benson Park. White Deer Park is on the right side of the road. There is a church on the opposite side of the street. If you see a big wooden sign for Lake Benson you have gone one short block too far.

Once you enter the park take the first turn to the left and drive until you see the big parking lot. I think the parking lot is one way. Our shelter is after the turn and right up against the parking lot. Look for the small sign that says “Pine” up on the eave of the building. There is a map on the park website above.

The parks address is: White Deer Park 2400 Aversboro Street Garner NC 27529

• sabji
    9 years ago

Looks like I will be able to come...all i have is veggie seeds.. I will take a look and see what i can bring.

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

Last fall I divided a bunch of stuff and potted them up and stored them in the greenhouse for the winter - things like bananas, elephant ears, etc. Everything looks almost dead, even though the greenhouse stayed above freezing all winter sooooo if I show up with pots of sad looking plants don't be afraid, I haven't lost my mind, its just been a hard winter.

Sabji - I have enough to bring for the both of us! Don't worry about it - it is more important that people show up regardless of what they have to trade.

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

I'll still fight tHis year for some of your elephant ears and such....no matter how sad.!

I'm hoping this rain and a little warm weather will bring everything back to life this week so I can start dividing and potting my extras.. Perhaps a little sad looking as well!

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

I am bringing juniper...pacific blue. My neighbor pulled up about 15. Right now they are a little bigger than a large pizza. Let me know if you want me to pull them aside.

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

By mistake, I've got the Special Trades for the Swap listed under Discussions. I don't know how to move it to the Exchange Page. I will be listing more plants by the end of the week for Special Trades.

Lisianthuslover - I'd like to get 3 of the junipers from you. Please take a look at my Special Trade List.

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

By mistake, I've got the Special Trades for the Swap listed under Discussions. I don't know how to move it to the Exchange Page. I will be listing more plants by the end of the week for Special Trades.

Lisianthuslover - I'd like to get 3 of the junipers from you. Please take a look at my Special Trade List.

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

Hi,

I'm just checking to see, how many people are planning on coming to the swap this year? My neighbor and I are making the drive from Winston-Salem. Usually, by this time, there are plenty of special trades listed. Looking forward to seeing everybody.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    9 years ago

I am coming, but don't think I have much to bring. my swap list is not current because I lost a lot of things over the winter. I may bring some daffodils - they won't be the usual yellow ones. And I have lots of the grape hyacinths to share. LOL!

• K
    9 years ago

This is a repeat of what I just posted on the regular Carolina page. Sorry!

I have several plants that are running rampant in my yard. (Be forewarned.) Please let me know if you want me to bring any of them:
    lemon balm, Melissa officinalis
    lambs' ears, Stachys byzantina
    Ajuga reptans, both the green type and the one with purple leaves
    Chinese chives (garlic chives), Allium tuberosum
    butterfly bush, Buddleia davidii
    Virginia creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia
    thornless blackberry

I also have some well-behaved plants:
    thyme - name unknown - it stays low and makes a nice mat
    Confederate jasmine, Trachelospermum jasminoides - I have successfully rooted this many times - I will bring cuttings in soil if anyone wants to try - I don't currently have any rooted to bring.
    Mahonia - not sure which one - I have some tiny seedlings.
    Japanese maple - volunteer seedlings - these are not the very finely cut leaf. The leaves have 5 to 7 lobes and are reddish.
    speedwell, Veronica spicata
    variegated Aucuba japonica - looks like 'Gold dust' - I don't have any rooted but can bring cuttings in soil. It's easy. Great for deep shade.
    purple coneflower, Echinacea purpurea - if they come up in time for me to find and pot them.

Special Trades
    have:
    1 partridge berry, Mitchella repens
    1 Solomon's seal, Polygonatum biflorum
    1 Carolina jasmine, Gelsemium sempervirens

looking for:
    swamp milkweed, Asclepias incarnata
    little Joe-Pyeweed, Eupatorium 'Little Joe'
    coral honeysuckle, Lonicera sempervirens
    or something interesting

Thanks.
    Kat

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

OK. Special trades list...
    Juniper blue pacific-6
    Pink Sheffield chrysanthemum-2
    Reddish orange crocosmia-2
    Deep purple bearded irises-2
    Grand parade bee balm-2
    Pink sundrops-2
    Native/red with pale yellow columbine-2
    Euonymus japonicus aureo marginatus-2
    Indoor- lavender African trailing violet-1
    Purple butterfly bush-1
    Deep purple verbena-3
    Deep purple viola(edible)-4
    Lamb's ear-1
    Horsetail-1
    Coreopsis nana-3
    Red hot poker-2

Lorabell- I have 11 empty egg cartons for you. I hope you find something you like out of my list.

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

Country girl,

I would love some daffadills for trade if anything on my list interests you.....over in the discussion spring trade topic is where I have them listed.

9 years ago

Hey, Kim. I would love both the Euonymus! Please?

Lorabell, we are going to dig daffodils tomorrow so I will know how many trades I may have.

• jbarutis
    9 years ago

I am looking forward to seeing everyone at the swap on Saturday! I will bring more coral bark japanese maples, red cascade rose and dwarf nandina. Is anyone interested in mint?

I have babied my lovely coleus from the fall swap (thanks CountryGirl!) and dear hubby is happy to have them out of our south-facing bathtub! Would love to get a daphe odora, mexican orange, alstromeria or vegetable seedlings.

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

Just a reminder, Original Swap List is on the Discusision Page of Carolina Forum - sorry about that. I just don't want anybody to miss out on any special trades.

• tamelask
    9 years ago

jeri- i'd love to get some coleus from you. i only had 1 of mine pull through. i can get you some alstromeria. anything else you want? my main list is on the page under discussions...

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

Jeri - I would love to get a cascading rose from you. Just let me know what you would like. My main trade list is on the Discussion Page of the Carolina Forum.

• Ralph Whisnant
    9 years ago

Kat, I would love as much of the Chinese chives as you can spare. I can bring you Monarda 'Raspberry Wine' and or broccoli plants. I just got back in town and will post a list of what I have so far by Thursday.

• K
    9 years ago

Ralph, I would be delighted to have some Monarda 'Raspberry Wine' and/or broccoli plants!
    I have to warn you though, be vigilant with deadheading the Chinese chives unless you're looking to use them as a groundcover!!

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    9 years ago

As we fill up our available garden space, we are forced to narrow our trades to very specific plants. At this time we are looking for:

Cissus antarctica or Cissus rhombifolia
    Cyperus giganteus - Mexican papyrus
    Cyrtomium falcatum - Japanese holly fern
    Euphorbia 'Black Bird'
    Fragaria chiloensis - beach/Chilean strawberry
    Heuchera micrantha 'Palace Purple'
    Oenanthe javanica - water celery, water parsley
    Osmunda regalis - royal fern
    Pleioblastus distichus 'Mini' - dwarf bamboo
    Polystichum polyblepharum - Japanese tassel fern
    Sedum 'Purple Emperor'

While we won't be able to consider open-ended "lookups" from someone's trade list, we would still be interested to consider reliable 'steppable' ground covers for full sun/wet or full sun/dry areas, other than sedums, of which we have a number already.

For exchange, we have limited numbers of the following rooted (6-12 mo.) cuttings, layers, or seedlings:

Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'
    Cynara cardunculus - cardoon, wild ornamental form related to the cultivated artichoke
    Daphne odora - fragrant flowers in February
    Forsythia viridissima var. koreana 'Kumson' - variegated with pale veins, more shade tolerant than the species
    Jasminum officinalis 'Frojas' - chartreuse/golden variety, more cold-tolerant than the species, deciduous in Zone 7/8
    Ricinus communis 'New Zealand Purple' - rapidly growing, poisonous
    Trachelospermum jasminoides 'Madison' - more cold-tolerant than the species

In the absence of suitable trades, we may still bring some of them for the common swap pool, without any guarantees of availability.

We also have a growing seed collection of hardy exotics and houseplants (see trade list on our Member Page).

We will be making more cuttings during the year, including also the following, so it would be helpful to hear about interest in them ahead of the fall swap.

Choisya ternata 'Sundance' - Mexican orange, flowers smell like citrus
    Illicium parviflorum 'Florida Sunshine' - slower growing chartreuse variety, very shade tolerant
    Laurus nobilis - rated Zone 8a, perennial after Zone 7 frost damage, suitable as a houseplant
    Nerium oleander 'Hardy Red' - rated Zone 8a, perennial after Zone 7 frost damage, suitable as a houseplant, poisonous
    Rubus pentalobus - ground cover creeping raspberry

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

I'm bringing Cranberry Chicken Salad and/on Croissants.

John: Do we have enough paper products or do we need to bring more?

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

Sorry, the above message got posted in the wrong spot. A new thread has been started for the Food List.

• tamelask
    9 years ago

john, any thoughts about the turn of the weather? they now wast chilly windy rainy weather! yuck!!

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

Casalester- would you trade kumson forsythia for water celery?

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

Attention Gardeners! The weather is going to flat out suck tomorrow. I doubt I can change the date with the park service soooooo I will be there at the scheduled time but for those of you driving a great distance I would rather not be the reason you are on the road. I will try and get a new date in May, or maybe June just to be safe - maybe winter will be over by then!!!

I will be at the shelter and I will bring some plants but I wasn't hoping to take anything home (famous last words) so if you want to come splash around in the puddles feel free to spend the afternoon in Garner.

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    9 years ago

Lisianthuslover - confirming Forsythia 'Kumson' for water celery

• sabji
    9 years ago

Hi folks,
    Sorry for not being active on the forum. I will talk about it at the meet. Thanks John!. I am not sure what I will bring as I am still out of sorts. it has been a long cold season and I was too hasty posting on warm weather !!!!
    I will be coming. My cuttings did not survive the winter too. I had kept them in the garage ( no greenhouse yet). I am cutting down my veggie garden too this year.
    Will post on food in the food thread. I am all excited to see you all again.

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

Sabji - I have something for you. If you can't make it tomorrow I will contact you later to get it to you.

• anna_8nc
    9 years ago

I'm sorry that my family and I won't be there this year, the end of the college semester is so busy. I also already have more plants than I can take care of, but would like to see everyone. I will look forward to the next gathering.
    Anna

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

Casalester- would you trade kumson forsythia for water celery?

9 years ago

I can't believe all the great plants I got today! Thanks everyone for making this another great swap.!

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

I second that, country girl. What wonderful plants were shared, I'm absolutely thrilled and floored by the generosity of those at this exchange. Spent the evening researching the goodies, drawing up plans, etc. 5am I'm up with my leaf cuttings getting my florescent
    lights together.....a little rain today is perfect for getting out to gardens! Thanks again John, and happy Easter all.

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

John - Many thanks for organizing a wonderful swap.

I have been non-stop at reserching and trying to get all of my goodies in the ground today. Still have a bunch to plant.

Thanks to all, for sharing your plants. What wonderful additions, they are to my garden.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm