Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleveland County/Shelby/Kings Mountain Area Plant Swap-Details

Posted by aezarien 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 4, 10 at 15:58

Please join us in kicking off the warm season with a Spring celebration and plant swap. There will be food, games, and of course the main event, a plant swap.

We will be welcoming guests as early as 10am, for those who would like to come early and take care of prearranged swaps, help set up, or take care of other business.

We will start the celebration with potluck lunch at noon. We ask that whoever attends that plans on eating please bring a dish. It doesn't have to be complicated and it can be store bought if you don't want to make something. We will have a fire pit with a fire for a weenie roast and will provide a charcoal grill, should you wish to bring other items. We will also provide ice, sweet and unsweetened tea, and spring water for drinks and a cooler for other drinks you may wish to bring.

After lunch we will play a few games for door prizes and there will be a small gift for everyone who attends. Directly after, the plant swap will commence. I am remaining open to the process by which we do this for the moment depending on how many people show up. For now, we are planning to do a round robin type swap.

We are doing this on a "first come" basis. When you arrive you will receive a number. When the plant swap commences, everyone will line up according to the number you received. First round you will pick one plant and go to the back of the line. Second round you pick another plant and return to the back of the line. Third and fourth rounds you pick two plants, fifth and six, three and so on.. If there ends up being too few people to make this option feasible then we will revert to a more casual type swap. No numbers will be given out until after 10am so please do not show up at 6am!

As far as what plants to bring, perennials, annuals, vegetables, herbs, bulbs, and seeds are all acceptable. No invasive plants or poison ivy please! You won't be flogged if all you know is a common name for a plant but if you do know the variety and scientific name, other gardeners may appreciate it if you include that on your labels. If you are unsure of what you have, we will make an attempt to identify it for you.

Please water all the plants you plan to bring the night before the swap. If you do not have any plants to swap, you can bring food or garden supplies: pots, soil, fertilizer, tools, etc.

Following the swap there will be plenty of time to converse, wrap up any side trades, or finish up any other type of business you may not have been able to get to before the swap.

This will be a family event and even though I am pretty sure I don't have to say this, no alcohol or other prohibited substances will be welcome. Also, please do not bring pets or small, mobile children. I have nothing against them but I have poisonous plants and other non-kid and pet friendly elements in my yard.

I guess that wraps it up. As always, I am open to suggestions and if you have any questions, feel free to ask! For address and directions please feel free to contact me through either of these:

If you have a facebook account:
Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/zone_7#!/group.php?gid=379061880870

email:swap@zone-7.org

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleveland County/Shelby/Kings Mountain Area Plant Swap-Detail

And just so everyone knows, so far there are four people we know, barring a catastrophe, will be here and four others that have said they planned to come.

Since this is on my property and I am not prepared to host the public at large, I will not be advertising on any public venue except here and our church. If you want to invite your friends or family to come with you however, I have no problems with that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here