Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
safariofthemind

have: raleigh 2010 spring swap plants - rj

safariofthemind
14 years ago

This is a continuation of the discussion from the Raleigh swap postings. Please write down what you want/need/could get. I will take 25 requests for this swap due to time limitations but we can always set up more trades at the swap for later. Cheers, RJ

--------------------------

Hi guys and gals,

Back from Europe after a couple of exciting unscheduled changes due to the ash from the Icelandic volcano which totally disrupted EU air traffic.

Glad to see the interest in the plants. In order to not clog up this thread I am going to start a separate thread so we can do our little planning prior to the swap.

There are too many plants available to just load them up in my SUV and bring to the swap. I believe it is not practical for me to bring more than 25 plants to the swap because of my space and time constraints as I am getting ready to go back to Panama for work again and I have a lot of planting to do before leaving.

So it's probably best to agree on what we all want online and then just bring what folks want. If there is more interest, we can always organize other swaps later as there is more time available in our schedules and, after I meet you all at the swap and talk about what each of us has in their garden and what we are looking for.

Here's to a fun swap!

RJ

Comments (137)

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Karen w - I'm not very good at describing, but it has a yellow flower on it. I'll look up corydalis and see if I can id it. Is there anything else off my list that you would be interested in?

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

Maybe 'Athens Yellow'??

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

I looked up the Athen Yellow and it's a climber. Mine isn't. My corydalis probably gets 12" to 15" high and does have the blue green foilage. Looks alot like a bleeding heart. People always comment on it.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Karen- you are soooo funny! And i'm sure many, many of us can sympathize. You gave me some of the cute corydalis at my request but it never did take off for me. Somehow i wouldn't mind it as a weed so much. 'Course, henbit, violets or even creeping charlie's pretty when you're looking at one plant but a garden full of it isn't so nice... LOL

Judy- right now the dicliptera is about 2-3" tall. Maybe by week's end it'll gain another inch and i can take fresh cuttings. It's in the mint clan and roots easily. If we get some good rain (PLEASE!) i can probably pry out another basal chunk if i get time.

Ralph, i think i'm going to reneg of the moses in a boat. I finally found it this morn (i couldn't recall where i stashed it- usually overwinters in liv's room but it was in k's this winter and he's worse about watering). So, I only have 3 growth points right now. I should be able to take a cutting in a month or so and get you some going & bring it by the arb, if that's ok. It loves to be outside for the summer, and I know it'll recover fast out there. I've had that plant for 20+ yrs. Used to be huge! I was little panicky when i couldn't find it right off. I'd planted it at the base of a tall dracaena.

• suzannenc
    13 years ago

Ralph, I would love some Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' cuttings --- I spent all last summer coveting a big one my neighbor had! I don't have much to trade, unless you are interested in native staples, i.e., ferns, ginger, dogwoods, green & gold, etc. There are plenty in my backyard. I also have some Nepeta 'Caradonna", rose campion, bee balm (fushia) mini dafadil bulbs and beautyberry. Or, if you'd rather have homemade raisin bread, I can make some for you on Friday ;)

I am also looking for peonies (not white), Hollyhock 'Zebrina', Aster 'Bluebird', Mexican petunias, and 'Country Girl' Mums. Can you tell I'm just getting started and I like purple and blue?

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

Judy, the corydalis sounds just fine. One of the 'good' ones, meaning I'm still trying to get it established in my garden. So funny how plants can be thugs or impossible depending on who's trying to grow them.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Suzanne, i could bring you some 'country girl' mums for either some ferns- do you have ostrich, royal or autumn? or for mini daffs. I have a purple aromatic aster- not sure if it's a cultivar or not. It's very vigorous. let me know if you're interested.

And Ralph, i never answered you, but yes, i'd love some 'mona lavendar'. Sorry about the oversight and thanks for the offer.

• hosta200
    13 years ago

Brenda, I'll bring you Colocasia 'Fontanesii'. For me it is the most reliable to come back every year. I'll also bring a small pup of Lime zinger but it isn't hardy.

Tammie, I have an autumn fern for you. If you still want to visit my place, we can dig it then.

• MagickMare
    13 years ago

Suzanne - I have a ton Mexican Petunia - I'll bring some for you to help you get started :)

I, too love purple in the garden!

• Ralph Whisnant
    13 years ago

Suzanne, I would love to have some more Green and Gold for P. 'Mona Lavender'. I am down to one small clump of G & G. If you would like to bake some raisin bread, I can dig you as many Mexican Petunias (Ruella) as you would like for it. Tammy, I too usually have good luck rooting cuttings of Plectranthus, so I'll take a couple of whatever you have. I do still have the tall P, (argentatus/) with the solid silver leaves and one that has small green and white leaves(P. coloides?) and makes long low stems.

• suzannenc
    13 years ago

Tammy --- I honestly don't know what kind of ferns I have, they're just big! BTW, how many do you want? I'll bring you some daffs regardless -- they're so great to tuck in little spaces.

Magick --- I remember you writing me back in January --- we really should get together. I'm in Holly Springs! Thanks for the petunias. Are you sure you don't want some Nepeta 'Caradonna"? It's already started blooming, PURPLE, and the deer never bother it!

Ralph ---- From reading this board, you will be busy enough this week without digging any more petunias... The Plectranthus will be plenty for me. (Whooo hooo!)

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Suzanne, I like big ferns, no worries. :) They could be cinnamon, ostrich, autumn or royal if they are big- all of which i like. I only asked b/c i have a colony of lady ferns already. I'll take whatever you'd like to dig. Is there anything else of mine you want? (there's a big list on my trade page) I also have mexican petunias, but it sound like you'll have enough! Yes, i love the mini daffs- can't get enough. I do have some, so if you only want to dig a few that's absolutely fine. I don't have any of the hoop petticoat ones, if you have those. I have a teeny tiny kind that has multiple blooms clustered together (white w/yellow cups), lots of jetfire, some little regular form yellow ones, and another tall white & yellow one.

Ralph, i may have the coloides... i'll just bring them and if you don't need them, i'm sure somebody else will like them. I got them from campbell rd last fall and they weren't labelled. I've only swapped the oakleaf/aromatic type with a few people so i doubt you have that one (it originally came from bb's, unlabelled). I have a pot ready to go of it. It's sparse now from the winter but it'll fill out outside in the sun/shade & air. Lovely purple blooms later.

Hosta- i'd LOVE to come to see your place. Maybe we can arrange a time at the swap. What can i bring you for the autumn fern? You seem to have everything!

• MagickMare
    13 years ago

Suzanne - the Nepeta 'Caradonna' would be great!

• suzannenc
    13 years ago

Tammy --- I do admit, I'd like some black and blue salvia. I had some last year, but it doesn't look like it made it through the winter.

Magick --- one Nepeta C, coming right up! They make such a huge mound, in just one season... can you tell I'm in love?

Here's some things I'm bringing to the general swap:
    tons of yellow cannas, bee balm, crocosmia, white iris, NE aster, yellow yarrow, a big fern or two, and wild ginger.

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Hi, Does anyone want any horsetail (Equistum Hyemale)? If so, I'll bring it to the swap, if not I'll leave it in the ground. Judy

• tamelask
    13 years ago

suzanne- happy to bring b&b. I'm headed out to dig the last few things right now.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Ok- Suzanne i have for you the aromatic aster, 'country girl' mum and b&b. Plus and extra aster that will go into the general swap unless someone wants it.

Judy, i got your dicliptera and an extra for the general swap.

Brenda, i got your cyclamen, though they are dormant and tiny. The bulbs look like little pearls. I put them in a tiny pot together- just let them be mostly dry over the summer & start watering again come fall.

I also dug 5 small plants of the summer sage- it's a very pretty watermelon reddish pink color to add to the gen swap unless someone claims them.

I have some roses rooted, but before i add them i have to definitely ID them. I know 3 of them are either aloha or new dawn- i'm fairly certain they are aloha. New dawn is a parent so they do look somewhat alike til they bloom. And i have have 1 iffy start of veilchenblau- it looks as if it's just rooted. I'll bring it, label it that it needs some tlc. Veil is an easy easy rose once it's rooted. In fact, if anyone comes to the park via vandora springs to buffaloe (instead of aversboro to buffaloe- they form almost a loop) my veilchenblau will be in full bloom right out at the rd. I'm at 1218 buffaloe. Look for the big purple rose arbor- there aren't too many of those! :)

• MagickMare
    13 years ago

Judy - I'd LOVE some horsetail, anything I can being you?

• tamelask
    13 years ago

actually, judy, i'd love some horsetail, too. I kept mine in a pot in the pond and it finally petered out. I figured i'd get some at the fair, but this is easier.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

ok- deb/rootdigger has claimed the veichenblau start and one of the alohas, and the 3rd lipstick start.

If i have time, i may bring some fresh cuttings of veilchenblau if anyone wants to try their hand- it's a very easy one to root.

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Tammy & Magick, I'll pot up the horsetail tomorrow.

Magick - I would love some Mexican petunia, if you have it to spare.

• ratgirl
    13 years ago

Sally -- Do you still want the Carolina Beauty crinum bulb? I'd love a cutting of Black Jack sedum. I also may have a heuchera.
    Carla

• MagickMare
    13 years ago

You've got it Judy!

• Ralph Whisnant
    13 years ago

RJ, do you have any of the Burgundy Eucomis left. I can offer a toad lily with yellow striped leaves ('Lightning Strike') or one with white var on the edge of the leaves ('Samurai') or Japanese Painted fern or Trillium cuneatum for it.
    Judy, I am interested in your Toad Lily with spotted leaves (Amethyst?) Can I offer you a var. Toad Lily in exchange? Or anything else from my list. Also, do you have another Corydalis that you would like to trade?
    Magic, would you like some 'Pink Elephant' ee's for some 'Bengal Tiger' Cannas (or whatever else I may have for the cannas)?
    Sally, I am interested in your 'Tropicana' cannas and 'Pink October' Campanula. Is there anything that I can bring you for them? See my trade list?
    Lynne, what type of Agastache are you growing.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

ralph, if judy doesn't have amethystina, i'd be happy to pot you up some. It takes over my world.

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Ralph, I can bring you some spotted toad lilies but I'm not sure what the Amethyst means. I would love some Lightening strike toad lillies. I'll look to see if I have an extra corydalis and if I do I'll bring to you.

• safariofthemind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,

Still have the eucomis left. They are huge bulbs too. I'll take the Trillium for it.

Bad news on the Calanthe. They did not do well after transplant and they are not trade-able in my opinion. Anything else I could interest you in for those that wanted those?

RJ

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Ralph, I do not have the amethystina toad lily. I'm still checking on the corydalis .

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Ralph- i'll dig an amethystina for you tomorrow.

RJ- has the agave havardiana been claimed? I'd like that instead of a calanthe.

• hosta200
    13 years ago

RJ -do you have any more sprekelia instead of the calanthe?

Tammy, I'd take some water clover for the autumn fern.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

I need to take that off my page, Mike. I don't have it any more. I'm so sorry- it died out on me last yr. I had to redo those lists from some old ones and thought i caught all the stuff i'd lost, but obviously not. I'd like to get it again from someone i gave it to! LOL!! Is there anything else i could get you?

• MagickMare
    13 years ago

Ralph - I'd love some Lightening Strike toad lilies (any variegated), or Japanese Painted Fern. Since most of my property is shady, I'm trying to find fun shade lovers! I'll bring the Cannas for you!

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Ralph - I will have small agastache plants that I started from seed this year - it is just called 'fragrant mix' - Thompson/Morgan seeds - I also have Apricot Sprite - I will several 4" pots of both .......

Lynne

• safariofthemind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a pup of the A. havardiana that you can have tamelask. And yes, I can give you one more Sprekelia Hosta200.

I still have 2 more Sprekelias, Musa, Canna, Crinum, Iris and wood poppies.

• Hollyclyff
    13 years ago

RJ - I think we're good on trades since I didn't find any more goodyera. So no need to substitute for the calanthe. I have you down for three different epimediums and euphorbia 'Red Wing' for crinum, rain lily, acorus and sprekelia.

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Hi, Can I get a contact name & number just in case I get lost? Thanks, Judy

• tamelask
    13 years ago

for who, judy? John? Email me if you want mine- i live literally around the bend from the park. I think i'm the closest swapper to it.

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Tammy, I sent you an e-mail. Judy

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Ralph - I'm bringing wyou a corydalis.

• MagickMare
    13 years ago

Brenda - I know it's late (was just checking over to make sure I got all my trades together) but if you see this in time, I'd love to try your Impatiens with lg cream and green leaves and lg white flowers. If you don't see it in time - no worries :)

• brenda_near_eno
    13 years ago

ok, Magick!

• brenda_near_eno
    13 years ago

Wow, you guys rock. Each swap seems more fun than the last. Thanks for the plants,and thanks for sharing.

• karen__w z7 NC
    13 years ago

I agree with Brenda. Had a great time. I missed out on the variegated heliconia somehow, but I still came home with plenty to keep me busy so maybe next time.

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

I'm in agreement with Brenda and Karen. Had a wonderful time, I'm just sorry that I missed out eating/conversing with you guys. Please don't think I'm unsocial. I just found the nearest cleanest table and starting eating. Later, I looked up and everyone was eating under the shelter.

John - Thanks for being a great Host and Thanks for sharing your Nun's Orchid. I've shared it so far with one person and plan to share it with 2 other lucky people.

Ralph - If you will e-mail me your address, I'll send you your black eyed susan vine seeds. The seeds were in my pocketbook and I forgot to give them to you at the swap.

I hope to see everyone in the Fall.

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for coming!! Great crowd and good food. Sorry everyone had to endure my sniffly allergy melt down - I'd been fine all season but wouldn't you know the day of the swap I am practically bed ridden. It's a good thing no one showed up with privet or I would have shown you what a crazy man on hay fever drugs looks like (privet is my number one allergen). I just wish I could stop sneezing long enough to really embarrass Livian on her birthday.

I did my usual reverse of binge and purge. Came to swap planning on giving it all away and taking NOTHING back home only to carry home MORE than I brought.

I had planned on saying a few words about Miguel and how his clematis knowledge will be missed on these forums but I lost track of time during the chaos that is our swap.

In the future I think I will plan on leading a caravan over to Plant Delights after the swap, since I used to work there, know the back road way to get there easily and know that they could use the business. I also think I should post my cell phone number so that last minute emergencies can be better communicated.

Glad everyone came and swapped. Glad that once again the quality of plants surpassed expectations. Glad little Connor was smart enough to wander over to the playground nearby. I can't wait til the next one.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

What a great time! It was nice putting more faces with online handles and getting to know some of you better. And it's always great to see the core group. I think i go as much or more to socialize as get plants these days! 'course i still came home with too many plants! Hoping we get some good rain so i can get stuff planted- thanks everyone for your generosity!

TJ- you're so funny! I think she was embarrassed enough, but thanks for the sweet(?) thoughts! :) I'll be sure to let her know! ha ha! Thanks everyone, for singing to her.

Given the number of folks who went to PDN afterwards, i think it's an awesome idea to take a caravan over. Cell phone is prolly a great idea too.

I'm glad i had my privet meltdown the day before- but i felt so bad for you! I was so happy i didn't see many around the shelter. I wish that nasty invasive plant was banned from being planted instead of hawked by every tom, dick & harry.

karen- topher was looking for whoever wanted the heliconia but none of us could recall exactly who wanted it. We knew it was a regular... but we all drew a blank. I guess you were elsewhere when we were all asking around. Bummer!

• anna_8nc
    13 years ago

I was sorry to miss being with everyone this year. Today is the last day of the semester and the amount of things I have to finish is overwhelming. (I teach at a community college.)
    I have some plants in pots which I will plan to bring to the fall swap and I will look forward to seeing everyone there.
    Anna

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Just want to say a big THANK YOU also for the good plants, good food and even better company of gardeners. My sister and niece were more than impressed and can't wait till the fall swap and will hopefully have plants to swap by then - if not I will more than cover for them again - they are transplants from PA with new homes and no gardens.

We went to PDN before the swap so really had our appetites wetted for plants and more plants at the swap. Thanks again everyone - you guys/gals are great......

Lynne

• suzannenc
    13 years ago

Magick --- I had the wrong label on the Nepeta -- its actually "Dropmore" instead of "Caradonna". Both are wonderful....

Had a fantastic time, and almost got all the plants in the ground yesterday, with my husband's help as a Mother's Day gift ;)

Now I can't wait till the fall swap !!!

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Suzanne- thought i'd let you know that those ferns you brought me were christmas ferns. They are a great fern to have since they are evergreen. Thanks so much!