Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magickmare

wanted: special trades part iii

MagickMare
17 years ago

Root - Yes, I'd love the White Beauty Berry... Thanks!!

Also looking for Purple Beauty Berry, if anyone has any.

Comments (57)

• tamelask
    17 years ago

dana- don't worry if you only catch one. we can take him and maybe just keep him inside as a pet til we get a couple more (if you'd asked before i told my kids just a bit ago, i'd have maybe said wait, but i let the cat out of the bag now! :). i asked liv to catch 2 or 3 (she tracks out thurs ) and i know they'll have no problem doing so. there's 3 on our deck in the greenhouse, but we're sort of attached to 1. you live in raleigh, right? so we could potentially get together some other time.

i'm so glad you rescued that poor boxer baby! that's horrible. at least when they're little they can swim some- the big ones just sink like a stone. are you going to keep it as a pet with your other one? how did it get in the pool- is yours in ground? has that happened before? and how the heck do you do turtle cpr?! the water may have been so cold it sent him into semi- hib mode- ours do that when it's chilly inside in winter or outside before we bring them in. they look dead til you warm them with warm water. they use very little oxygen that way.

so far, all the lists i've seen match up to mine except for the ? marks, and some of those have been answered. off to dig some more. tam

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Cutter, give me some idea of what you need, shade or sun or a mix of the two?

Tam, Yes I have you down for the white malvas and I have you down for the black stemm EE but it's not up yet. I can get it to you later. This has been a really strange spring. Some things are up ahead of time and others that are normally up by now are still sleeping. Also lamium, tara, lindernia and foxglove. Let me know if you'd like anything else.

Krystol, I only have you down for foxglove and verbena on a stick. Is there something else I can get you? We're pretty lopsided with the boulders and redbud.

Moka Jo, I loved putting together the sedums, they're so cute, lol... I also added a sempervivum to the mix. It's an adult so you'll probably have babies soon.

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Shannon - I dug your San Carlos Festival today.

Tammy - Good news! I caught another lizard today. You may want to keep them for awhile anyway because they're pretty small. This is the third box turtle to fall in our pool. Two babies and one adult - all lived thank goodness. It is inground, but is fenced. I'm not sure how the adult got in the fence, but the babies fit right through the spaces. We let the adult go after rinsing her off with fresh water. The first baby we found was in the skimmer - hence her name, Skimmer. She wasn't as bad off as this most recent one because the skimmer was pulling her under and then she would bob back up. This little guy was limp on the bottom of the deep end. I had to use a pole to get him out. Yes, we do plan to keep him. He's young enough that his plastron isn't hinged yet. Supposedly they are very prone to respiratory infections for awhile after a near drowning, so I definitely want to watch him closely. Turtle CPR involves pushing in on the legs and then pulling them out, with the head held downward to help get water out of their lungs. He's a very bold little guy - less shy already than Skimmer is after two years - very cute.
    Dana

• shari1332
    17 years ago

Nancedar, I'd be delighted to take some of your Curly Willow. I've been meaning to get some at every swap and somehow didn't.

• dtpforu
    17 years ago

Ais,

Since you insist, what about one of the pink lespedeza?

Thanks,

Vickie

• hightider
    17 years ago

hollyclyff would you be intrested in an endlees summer 1 gallon for your niko blue hydrangea also have lady in red that i can divide would like to trade you weeping yuca very tropical have many canna dont know the names but would be intrestred in you bengel tiger or your tropicana let me know hightideer

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Shannon, Ok to add to the above I have a couple types of coreopsis. One I think is sunray (lance leaf) and the other is one of the thread leafs. I need to move those anyway so now's a good time. I have some Tancetum/Tansy. It's an invasive but I've never had any trouble with it planted under trees right in one of the crooks between roots. I guess the leaner dryer soil makes it behave and it is really pretty growing so close to the trees. The blooms are nothing special but the leaves are fern like (also called ant fern) and ants hate it! Throw it on your compost pile and it adds potassium to your soil. Let me know what you want out of this and above...some of each is fine too, or check my list. I think I gave you a chinese banana before and black stem EE's? I am out of both right now, but should have some babies in a month or two.

Aww Dana, I've been following your lizard and turtle stories. How sweet of you to rescue and give them a home. Turtle CPR!?! That's amazing and good to know. I had 3 little turtles as a kid and we kept outdoor pens for a few years for my kids. We usually got them out of the road and would keep one now and then and then release them in the fall in time for them to find a winter home. Sometimes we'd find injured ones and nurse them back to health. They loved water melon rinds, but eww what a mess! To this day my kids (adults) will stop traffic to rescue them out of the road. I've toyed with the idea of getting some babies but really don't have the time these days to care for them. Hoping to keep the road betwen here and Baltimore hot this summer, lol. Enjoy your babies!

• tietie
    17 years ago

rootdigger, thanks for reminding me of our trade. somehow I missed it.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Rootdigger you are right. I put the Formosa lily for white foxglove on my exchange list earlier today.

Nancy, it was orange cosmos and borage seeds. Is that all right?

• nancyofnc
    17 years ago

Alicia - Yes, you are right, sorry. Orange cosmos sounded like okra in my head.

Shari - gotcha covered and shaded (pun). Corkscrew Willow grows very fast.

Nancy the nancedar

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

hightider - I've already got 'Endless Summer', but would trade 'Nikko' for 'Lady in Red'. Also can trade 'Bengal Tiger' for the 'Heavy Metal' grass you listed on another thread. Let me know.
    Dana

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Dana- have you down for S. May Night for S. "San Carlos"

Rootdigger- Cranes bill would be great. Think I'll pass on the reed grass perhaps in the Fall though because I will be working on the bed between my house and the neighbors. The tansy sounds interesting. I tried Tansy before but it disappeared. Go figure -I also can't grow ivy lol. I have the banana. She's taken a couple of hits, knocked over by the dog, frost nipped, but is ready to grow again. I have my little tropical area in which she will be the center.

Nancy- do I have anything of interest? My list seems to have dwindled. If you see anything of interest on my wintersowing list let me know. We can wait until germination and I can run it up to Wake Forest or through John at a later date.

Looking forward to Saturday. I have the whole day to myself. I hope to hit the Farmer's market in the morning and end the day planting some babies. Shannon/Dirtrx

• tamelask
    17 years ago

dana- that's great! we can keep them inside, no problem. the problem may come when it's time to release them. lol.

glad to know how to do turtle cpr! that's amazing! i'm so glad you saved the little guy. i'm not surprised the personalities are very different- i know our 2 are opposites. it's really neat how much personality a lizard or turtle can have and show. ours were also unhinged when we got them; in fact, it was more than a year before the one could even partially close. i think button was only a few months old when keegan found him, and zipper about the same when he was found (a year later, so they're a year apart). i'm not sure if they can suck all their guts in now, they are so fat! and they're so tame they never really get scared enough to. :) i wonder if you ran a solid border around the bottom of your whole fence for your pool ( like 2x4's) if that would help with the problem since turtles normally can't climb well. the big one probably dug under the fence- they are good diggers, so an edge wouldn't solve it completely, but might be enough to dissuade many.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Shannon, OK, so I'll add cranesbill, tansy and would you like some St John's Wort/Hypericum calycinum? I thought that was what I had and have confirmed it. It won't bloom much in shade but it's still a pretty evergreen ground cover. It takes on red hues in the winter and blooms on new growth so it can be whacked (even mowed) when need be. You can see a pic of it over on the regular forum under 'more mysteries to ponder'...

• nancyofnc
    17 years ago

Dirtrx - you have already been very generous with all the cuttings you shared with me earlier this year - most have started rooting but I will not peek! If you are going to the Raleigh Farmers' Market this weekend, you may want to consider visiting the Wake Forest Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings, though it is not happening this weekend because the Town is having its Annual Herb Fest, which is a fun thing to do too.

Nancy the nancedar

• dogridge
    17 years ago

Hi all- just wanted to confirm my trades, please let me know if I omitted anyone! See you Sat!!

tamelask- boulders and rue for lamb's ear, vinca, daylily, nepeta

root- boulders and redbud for foxglove, verbena and butterfly ginger (if you insist)

brenda- akebia for prunus

tie tie- 2 huechera for 2 meidland rose

magick- peony and hosta for painted fern and agastache

sally - agastache for daylily

amyflora- iris for ??

alicia- white iris for LA iris, ?? 3 gal pots for roof iris ??

ralph - 1 or 2 bronze fennel for ??

jeane- redbud

I have thyme, oregano, akebia vine, creeping raspberry, purple heuchera, rue seedlings, white iris, creeping jenny, boulders, mint, redbuds, 1 dogwood seedling

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Krystol -- We're on trading 3 gallon pots for Roof iris -- I will try to find some that hasn't been blasted by the recent freeze. I'd be interested in the dogwood seedling if I have anything else you want. I have updated my exchange page. If you don't see anything else you want, it's no biggie, we'll just keep the current trades.

• MagickMare
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Alicia - I noticed that you have rose cuttings (so I assume you know how to grow from cuttings). I have a great rose - Climbing Butterscotch - I'd be happy to bring you cuttings if you are interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterscotch Rose

• Ralph Whisnant
    17 years ago

---Nancedar, I am planning to bring you a Heucherella (if that's ok?)for the seeds you sent me earlier and for the clump of Blue-eyed Grass. That is in addition to the Fairy Bells / Disporum sessile 'Variegatum'. Do you still have any of the Sun Coleus you used to grow? Would you be interested in cuttings of a couple of others? I also have a new Proven Winners sedum 'Carl' - would you like a sprig of it?
    ---Dogridge, either a purple Heuchera or some 3-gal pots for two bronze fennel plants will be fine. Are you interested in other Heucheras?

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

Ralph, Amyflora, and Rootdigger,
    Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream' tops died back during cold spell. I dug a 4th pot up and I can see root ball very healthy so will resprout, but the pot I am bringing each of you looks sad. I will gladly bring you something extra if you name it. I have plenty of Prunus mume, Albury Purple Hypericum, Impatiens zombensis, Impatiens omeiense, black current swirl datura seedlings, Salvia elegans, one more hardy Fuchsia 'Sanihanf'.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Magick, that'd be great. What would you like in return?

I have a couple of small Phlox David that I potted earlier this week if anyone's interested.

• Ralph Whisnant
    17 years ago

Brenda, I'm sorry to hear about the Impatiens - would love to have one of the Datura seedlings.

• MagickMare
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Alicia - white flowered Hosta would be great - and a quick rooting lesson?

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

Ralph, it will pop back up, so I'll give you sad-looking pot-to-be-ok-again-soon and a datura.
    B.

• aisgecko
    17 years ago

Are we doing the stakes with names again this year to drop off special trades? I thought that worked well. (I tried to look for it but scanning the 300+ posts was getting tedious)
    We're doing the private trades in the parking lot, right?
    I'm getting so excited. I check these posts several times a day now to make sure I don't miss anything. :-) -Ais.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Brenda, No problem abt your Blue Dreams, Have my share of that problem, and am still excited to see it when it does emerge.

I am interested in your Fuchsia 'Sanihanf' if I have something else you'd like? I love fuchsia but gave up on the regular ones. I have an extra Hedychium Tara if you're interested. She's a beauty and as tough as the white.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Is anyone into houseplants? I have a Sanseveria parva that got knocked off with these winds and the pot broke into a thousand pieces. A sign from the plant gods that now's a good time to pot up some babies off of it. It's soaking before I mess with it right now, but I think I'll have a couple of them.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

ais- i wasn't sure if there would be a place to use the stakes, but i'll bring the ones i have. several people took theirs home with them, and we gathered back up the rest. so if you took yours, bring it back if you think of it. i'll bring a marker and the plain ones and if they're useful, we'll do that, and if not, we won't worry with it. the thing is, if it's at the shelter i think it is, the parking lots are surrounded by woods and there's not much edge on which to put the stakes. but i could be wrong, and hope i am. at any rate, we'll have more time to preswap than in the past, which should be an asset. i was going to post on the details thread, so i'll do that as well. tam

• mad_about_mickey
    17 years ago

I'd been waiting to see what I had left after the frost. I have from seed hollyhock , cardinal climber vine, black eyed susan vine, sad looking roma tomatoes(should perk right up), a few mortgage lifter tomatoes, scarlet runner beans (1/2gal. pot) 1 lonely pumpkin ( 5in. pot). Many cannas, -need to dig-. Forsythia. Also seeds for moonflower , hollyhocks, california wonder pepper, sweet banana pepper. I am looking for the purple verbena that everyone but me can grow,( Is that Jeanne in garner?) and datura seedlings, daffodil bulbs,(Is that dtpforu?) coreopsis and angels trumpet (Is that yotedog?). Thanks !!

• mad_about_mickey
    17 years ago

Rootdigger- I read somewhere that you have the 'original' bridal wreath. By chance are you bringing any to the swap?

• dogridge
    17 years ago

Ralph- I'll bring you a purple huchera. I do like hucheras, but have very limited shade and partial shade. I have 2 different purples, the lime green and a green with white markings. I have admired the mahogany colored ones.

Alicia- I'll take one of your phlox for the dogwood.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Updated list....

AIS - foxglove for gingko

Alicia - white butterfly ginger, purple iris, miniature black iris and white foxglove for Iris brevicaulis, Phlox divarcata, Iris tectorum and Formosa lily
    Also a Zeph cutting for Old Blush cutting

Amyflora - mini iris for Kalimeris

Brenda - walking iris and purple/black passalong iris for Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream,' pink dinner plate hibiscus and Black Cohosh.

Cutter - surprise assortment - sun shade or both?

Dana - wallflower, white malva moschata, red valerian for daylilies and garden salsa pepper

Krystol/Dogridge - verbena bonariensis, white Foxglove and white hedychium for redbud and boulders

Magick - White Beauty Berry babies

Moka Jo - Sedum assortment for dianthus caryophyllus - Carnation "Clove Drops.

Nancy - cowhorn okra seeds for crinum, lily and sedums. I have a burgandy sedum to bring you too.

Ralph - Armenian Cuke seeds

Shannon - sedums, hardy begonia, cranesbill, tansy and St John's wort for white iris, viburnum and salvias

Tammy - lamium, foxglove, H. tara and lindernia for ferns, zuke seed and cymbularia/Kennilworth Ivy

Tanya/Tietie - White Beautyberry for gardenia

Mad, happy to dig a piece of the BW for you. How about a mortgage lifter tom amd a scarlet runner bean?

• aisgecko
    17 years ago

Ralph, If you still have any, I'd love a small pot (or two) of your impatiens omeiana. I have 'June' hosta and one that I lost the tag to with small green heart shaped leaves/ yellowish margins. They are smallish divisions with about 3 eyes. Let me know if that or anything else on my list tempts you. -Ais.

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

I'm gone for 24 hrs and I felt like I was in withdrawal!! I'm like you Ais I check the board several times a day when I'm home.

Nancy, I do plan on making it to the Wake Forest market a couple of times this summer. If you are sure we are good I would love to have the aster but I'll also let you know when I am coming up and see if I have some stuff to bring. If it weren't backtracking then I probably would hit the Wake Forest market on Saturday but the other is on my way. I usually stop by after the swap.

Two more days to go!!!! Shannon/Dirtrx

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Mad, ...I also have the purple homestead verbena for you. I just potted it last week but it's looking healthy.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Rootdigger, I was hankering after a piece of the BW too. Do I have anything else you want? If not just say so, because you have a lot of trades.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Alicia, yes on the BWS, I'll add it to your list. Do you have any Southern Ladyfern left? If not don't worry, I'll bring you some anyway.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Rootdigger, yes I definitely have Southern lady fern.

• tietie
    17 years ago

is anyone interested in rose of sharon rooted cuttings, these are very light pink doubles. in partial shade they are white.

tanya

• mad_about_mickey
    17 years ago

Root- that would be great ! ! Thanks !

• Ralph Whisnant
    17 years ago

---Aislen, I would be happy to bring you 2 pots of I. omeiana for your Hosta 'June'. I am interested in any or all of the following that you list, if you see other things on my trade list that you would like for them. Viola 'Mars', Tasmanian violets, Lysimachia 'Golden Globes', native Solomon's Seal and both of the Asiatic Lilies. Some things that I still have a good supply of are the Cuban Oregano (Plectranthus), Lysimachia congestiflora 'Outback Sunset', Giant Bicolor Portulaca, Mexican Petunia (Ruella), Asclepias curassavica (Mex, Butterfly Weed) and ee's Black Magic, Illustris and Fontanesii.

• aisgecko
    17 years ago

Ralph, I can get you all of those (some may have to be small pots as they just started really going so you don't have to give me large plants). I'd like your Lysimachia congestiflora,Portulaca,petunia, asclepia curassavica, and EE Fontanesii (and the omeiana of course)
    I knew I should have checked your list sooner, you always have great stuff! I am slammed today so I may have to dig tomorrow morning. Most of them I've already potted but forgive any if they are a little rough looking. See you tomorrow! -Ais.

• amyflora
    17 years ago

Tie-tie, if it is not too late, I would love one of those Rose of Sharon cuttings. Anything you might want in trade? -amy

• tietie
    17 years ago

Amy, sounds great! I'll bring you a rose of sharon. Do you still have any phlox?

Tanya

• amyflora
    17 years ago

Tie-tie, I will dig up the phlox tomorrow a.m.! See you there! -amy

• moka_jo
    17 years ago

OK, so here's what I'm bringing, with a few novice gardener caveats. I hope I'm remembering everything!

Ralphw - bringing 2 culinary sage for 2 Portulaca. One of the sages is in really good shape, the other is a little smaller and not quite as happy with being potted up, but should perk up.
    shari1332 - Christmas cactus for a Buddleia lindleyana sucker
    rootdigger - 3 carnation "clove drops" for small sedums. Can't wait to see the little guys! :-)
    hollyclyff - 3 carnation "clove drops" for butterfly weed
    The carnations are still small, but seem pretty healthy. They were started on 3/3.
    tamelask 3-4 red-to-yellow yarrow for ice plant, lemon/lime thyme, asclepias tuberosum seed
    tietie 3-4 red-to-yellow yarrow for ice plant, gardenia
    magick bringing 2 plugs of Irish Moss
    Woodsworm 2 "Early Amethyst" beautyberry cuttings for kolanchoe

• Ralph Whisnant
    17 years ago

The following is a summary of my prearranged trades. If I have missed anyone or have left off something, pleae let me know asap.
    # The following are prearranged special trades for the April 21st, 2007 Raleigh area swap.
    # ---Nancedar; Disporum sessile 'Variegatum'& wildflower seeds &Hecherella for veggie seeds(have) and Blue-eyed Grass.
    # ---BrendaEno; Caryopteris 'Sunshine Blue', Disporum sessile 'Variegatum', Heucheras (3)'Mocha Mint', 'Creme de Menthe'& Heucherella 'Strike It Rich Gold' and ? for Silver Pen, Impatiens zombensis & I. arguta, Blue Lobelia seed, cascading Fuschia cutting, Bloodroot, Salvia 'Love Child', Marigold of the Dead, if available, var. Hypericum 'Albury Purple', Tiarella 'Iron Cross', Rain Lilies, Scabiosa, Lemon Slice Hibiscus, Braveheart Malva, Salvia koyame, Tricyrtis 'Variegata and Datura seedlings.
    # ---Tammy; Veronica 'Waterperry', Tiarellas 'Snowflake' and 'Chocolate Mint', Cuphea 'Batface', Colacasia 'Black Magic', Disporum sesile 'Variegatum'& Orange Mint for seed of climbing zuch., Sprite melon and Armenian cuke, Raspberry & Winebery plants, kiwi & Jujube cuttings; fragrant Nicotiana and Arbutelon 'Marion Stewart'
    # ---Hollycliff/Dana; Veronica 'Waterperry & Euonymous fortunei (Winter creeper) for Pardancanda. Butterfly weed (A. tuberosa), Salvia 'Blue Hill' & tall, purple var.
    # ---Dirtrix/Shannon; Asclepias curassavica/Mex. Butterfly bush/Bloodflower(5-?), Heucheras
    # ---JohnB.; Giant Bicolor Portulaca(How many?), Cardinal flowers
    # ---Amyflora; Impatiens omeiana for blue flowered Monarda
    # ---Magick; EE/Colacasia 'Illustris' for Green & Yellow Hosta
    # ---Rootdigger/Debra;White Brugs for Armenian cuke seed, crocosmia, wallflower & Evening Primrose
    # ---Dellare/Adele; ? for Basella rubra (climbing spinach)
    # ---Tietie/Tanya; Arum italicum, Tricyrtis, Swiss Chard for Salvia 'Hot Lips', veggie plants
    # ---Moka_jo; (2)Portulaca 'Giant Bicolor' for 2 culinary sage
    # ---Dogridge Two bronze fennel for purple Heuchera
    # ---Ais; Impatiens omeiana, Lysimachia congestiflora 'Outback Sunset', Portulaca 'Giant Bicolor', Mexican Petunia, Asclepias curassavica & ee 'Fontanesii' for Hosta 'June', Viola 'Mars', Tasmanian violets, Lysimachia 'Golden Globes', native Solomon Seal and Asian lilies.
    # ---Hightider; Cardinal flowers, Mazus reptans, ee 'fontanesii', Illustris & Black Magic, Bleeding heart, Brug 'Charles Grimaldi', Bronze Fennel and Ajuga ' Chocolate Chip' for grasses, daylilies, Hosta 'Bright Lights' and White Butterfly weed.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Ralph, we were supposed to trade Tiarella for purple muhly seed and Monarda Claire Grace.

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Ralph - did you have any more of the heucherella SIR gold? Or trilliums?
    Dana

• Ralph Whisnant
    17 years ago

---Alicia, I did pack a Tiarella for you, even though it is not on this list.
    ---Dana, I will bring the Heucherella and a Trillium for you. How about some daylilies in return?
    ---Woodsworm, I left off your Celandine poppy, but I have it also.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES