Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicia7b

wanted: special trades part ii

alicia7b
16 years ago

Tammy, I'd be interested in your buddleia and raspberry and wineberry starts if your buddleia isn't spoken for already and if I can tempt you with more trades.

Magic for white I'd suggest Phlox paniculata "David" (blooms all summer into fall), white bearded iris, orphanage plant (Kalimeris pinnatifida, grows to about 2' and blooms all summer). I can bring you a start of those. For purple Mexican bush sage is good; it blooms in late summer/ early fall and is usually perennial here. There are a lot of good sages that are blue/purple, MBS and Salvia "Purple Majesty" being the most purple. For orange Florida azalea, flame azalea, tithonia (annual). There are a lot of possibilities. It's the same color scheme I will be rebuilding around my own house this spring.

I wanted to add that if anyone is interested I can bring American snowbell cuttings and native jack-in-the-pulpit.

Comments (150)

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Does anyone have any of the bicolor blue/purple & white Salvia? I'd love to find some!!!

• woodsworm
    16 years ago

I'm still desperate for beautyberries, either seedlings or plants. Prefer (purple) American Beautyberry but will cherish white as well. My modest trade list is http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/woodsworm

Looking forward!

• dirtrx
    16 years ago

Magic, I have the common passion flower if you would like that. I also have St John's Wort "Albury Purple". I know it is not the hypericum you have listed but if you are interested... if you have any hostas left I would love some. Shannon/Dirtrx

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Shannon - Sounds great!! I have PLENTY of Hosta. I'll add you to my list.

I know it may be zone pushing, but I'd love to find some white sage too - anyone grow this?

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tammy, I'll bring you Salvia coccinea seeds. Our trade seems lopsided so if there's anything else you want let me know.

Ralph, How about trading for Tiarella Snowflake?

Shari that sounds good. Is there anything else you want in exchange for Salvia transylvanica?

• moka_jo
    16 years ago

woodsworm, would cuttings of beautyberry help you? I have two small beautyberry "Early Amethyst" that I planted last fall. (It may be exotic rather than native?) They're currently starting to leaf out. I have no idea how to propagate them, though. If you have propagation-from-cuttings instructions for them I'd be happy to help.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

alicia, since you're twisting my arm, can i get some seed for s. roemeriana & ruellia "midnight"(dark purple foliage? flower? invasive? not finding much info on the web. :)

shari, that sounds fine. i got a couple penstemons from ralph last year, but other than husker's red none were evergreen, so i'm guessing i don't have grapes.

magick, when you say white sage, what sage do you mean? no harm in zone pushing- you never know til you try. when you say blue & white salvia i'm guessing you mean 'victoria', which is perennial about 1/2 the time here, even though it's labelled as an annual. if noone has it, garden centers sell 4 -6 packs of it cheap.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Tam - 'White sage' - Salvia apiana, also known as California White Sage. My "Gardens" keep morphing in my mind. I have a great (sunny, hot & sandy) place to push my zone - and I love the smell of white sage. Thanks for the heads up on the Salvia. Your Peony looks like it will be ready to bloom by the swap :)

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Alicia, Thank you!.. What would you like for the formosa lily?

Shannon, I have you down for sedums and hardy begonia for your white iris and viburnum. I was checking out your list would love some of your salvias "Argentina Sky" and "May Night" and the rebar shepard's crook if they're still available and I have something else you'd like? I updated my trade list.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tammy Ruellia "Midnight" is something that I got in a GardenWeb seed exchange -- when I googled it I found a photo showing a dwarf ruellia with a dark purple flower. I can't tell you if it's invasive or not like the native one.

Rootdigger, how about trading for white digitalis?

• tamelask
    16 years ago

ok alicia- sounds good to me. the one i have is med sized, not too runny (but is in a spot where it could only go so far), and a med purple, not dark.

thanks for the info on the white sage, magick. what does it smell like? i love the scent of clary sage, which to me is an herby grapefruit. and of course, who doesn't like pineapple sage scent? i'm excited about the peony. i have an area i want to put a bunch of them, and have been saving some up for a while. i just sprouted some seeds that had been in soil for a year stratifying of a single rose red color. i know it'll be a few years before they bloom, but i'm excited about a single. i bought 'scarlet o'hara' last yr- the prettiest single i've yet seen.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

amyflora- i forgot to address your ?. i have you down for poppy, larkspur and nigella seeds as well as 'buttered popcorn'. i'd asked for monarda blue stockings a while back. contraband girl would work if you want to add one more. thanks! tam

• tietie
    16 years ago

Alicia, don't worry if you don't have 3 azaleas. Maybe they'll show up in time for the fall swap.

Tanya

• dellare
    16 years ago

Magick..I think I can get you some white sage. If you would like to trade I would love some orange daylilies. I'm not going to the swap but my friend Amy is so I could send it up with her. Adele

• shari1332
    16 years ago

I should have enough Salvia babies for all 4 of you. This is my first year with them so I'll let you know if I have problems digging them.
    Dana, could I have one of your 'Bengal Tiger' cannas?
    Shannon, I'd like to try 'Albury Purple' Hypericum.
    amyflora, SAK sounds great.
    and Alicia, I'd love a cutting of 'Sir Thomas Lipton'.

Hopefully I'll be able to get at least 4 babies a piece for you. Mine bloomed first year and I know some of these babies germinated last fall.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Adele - That would be awesome!!! I can definately send Amy home with plenty of orange day lilies for you :) Any advise on growing the sage in zone 7?

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Shari - I've got you down for Bengal Tiger then. Thanks!
    Dana

• dirtrx
    16 years ago

Shari- the St John's Wort just went. I can bring you cuttings though. I have the momma. Nn need to add that as a trade. I'm always nervous about bringing unrooted cuttings.

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

OK, who's got the white salvia???? I would like some of that, anything on my list you need?

keithrnjd, I have some bloodroot that I got at the local arboretum at Tanglewood a couple of weeks ago. It had 5 bulblets. I could give you 2 if you like for some cardoon or hardy tapioca?

nancedar, I can dig you some carrot crest. this is a double and I think you will like it. I think it's gorgeous!

Here's what I have so far:

Ais - Lycoris, Chinodoxia for Ginko
    Alicia7b Iris & Daylilies for Formosa Lily Seeds & Seedlings
    Tie tie Rice Paper for Tropical hibiscus
    Amyflora - Rice Paper for Kalimeris
    nancedar - Carrot Crest for Artic Queen Clematis
    ???keithrnjd - Bloodroot for hardy tapioca or cardoon ???
    dirtx - Surprise for B&B salvia

Thanks,
    Vickie

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

Nancy, sorry I didn't respond earlier. I was out of town (grandfathers funeral, sniff). I am sure I can get some more daylilies for you and am very interested in both the yellowroot and the sedum.
    Vickie, what else can I get you? 2 for one isn't fair and the ginko is small.

• dirtrx
    16 years ago

Vickie- I just went outside and the "Sweet Kate" you gave me last year has already filled out and is blooming. It is so bright and cheery. Do you have anymore of that? I have more spots I'd love to light up like Kate is doing to my other bed. Shannon

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Shannon- if you still have Helenium that would work instead.

Alicia, if you think it would be better we can wait on the rose cuttings. I'll bring your plants to the swap and we can meet later for those.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shari, that sounds fine. I can bring Christmas cactus cuttings then too if you want them.

• tietie
    16 years ago

All my special trades are on my exchange page. Please make sure I haven't left anyone out.

Tanya

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

dirtx, I'm sorry, I don't have any more of the Sweet Kate. I really don't care for Spiderwort, so I gave it to you last year. :-) However, the "suprise" I have for you is on your want list. Solomon Seal!

aidgecko, what do you have? I don't mind giving. But if you have something I can't live without, let me know. hehehehehehehehehe
    Thanks,

Vickie

• yotedog
    16 years ago

NEW POST/FIRST POST TO THIS THREAD
    Oh my gosh, I almost missed the swap!!!!! I have the following:

HOT LIPS SALVIA (Salvia Microphylla)(large,in ground,will dig and pot))
    AUCUBA JAPONICA (seedling about 6")
    ANGELS TRUMPET (Brugmansia) (yellow) (potted, large)
    KARL FORESTER REED GRASS (Camagrostis acutiflora) 1 qt pot
    MULLIGAN'S CLIMBING ROSE (Rosa mulligani)(about 1 foot high, app 2 years old, potted, white blooms)

Wants: Lavender (except Spanish), Rose 'Hot Chocolate', Viburnums, Raspberries, evergreen shrubs, native hollies, white forsythia, Cranesbill (hardy geranium blue or violet), Phlox (both woodland and sun varieties), Scabiosa blue, Caryopteris, anything woodland or that does clay in part sun or try me!

• woodsworm
    16 years ago

Moka_jo yes, I'd be happy for the "early amethyst" beautyberry cuttings.

magick, I have you some Carolina Allspice

Ralphw -- I have some Carolina Allspice for you, and I'd NEVER turn down one of your celadine poppies!
    Thanks

• brenda_near_eno
    16 years ago

Sorry, I've been away for a week - most everything made it thru cold while I was gone except Impatiens arguta- may be live at base, wait and see for a couple of days. Otherwise please check this and let me know where I've got it wrong....

Special Trades
    Shannon: Phlomis russelliana and Coleus 'Inky Fingers'or 'Full Moon'(for Agastache 'Pink Pop' and 'Sunset' Echinacea)
    Tammy: Fuchsia cascading 'Sanihanf' and black cohosh(for columbine and Veronica 'Georgia Blue')
    Dana Hollyclyff: 'Lovechild' (for mystery salvia)
    Ralph: Bloodroot, I.zombensis, paintpen, Tiarella 'Iron Butterfly',Salvia'Love Child',Viola'Dancing Geisha',Hypericum'Albury Purple',Fuchsia cascading'Sanihanf',Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream',Malva'Braveheart',Hibiscus'Lemon Slice',Penstemon'Husker Red',Tricyrtis hirta'Variegata',Salvia koyame,Scabiosa atropupurea,Zephyranthes 'Le Buffarosea', Caryopteris 'Worcester Gold'(for Caryopyeris incana 'Sunshine Blue', Disporum sessile 'Variegatum', heucheras)
    Carole Woodsworm: Bloodroot and beautyberry(for native fern and maybe trillium?)
    Nancy: White rain lily (for rosemary)
    Alicia: Calycanthus floridus (for azeala seedling)
    Rootdigger: pink dinner plate hibiscus, Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream',Black cohosh (for LA iris and black-purple passalong mini-iris)
    John: Impatiens omeiense and Echinacea 'Magnus' (for Plectranthus agentus, Impatiens 'Jungle Gold' and confederate rose hibiscus)
    Hightider:datura (triple purple or large fragrant white?) (for a confederate rose)
    Amyflora: Prunus mume X 2, Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream' (LA iris 'Contraband Girl' and 'Gamecock')
    Dogridge: Prunus mume (for Akebia)
    Ais: Black Cohosh and Penstemon (for Ancanthus and Rose 'Fairy')

• keithrnjd
    16 years ago

Vickie (dtpforu) I would love to trade a tapioca for the bloodroot, thanks!

See you at the swap!

Sally

• dirtrx
    16 years ago

Shari- have you down for Helenium and cuttings of St John's for salvia trans. I translplanted some (Helenium)a few weeks ago and they were unhappy for a short time. They seem to need extra water at first (more than the normal transplant) but then settle in quite nicely. They should bloom this year. I wintersowed them last year. I would say that I would get these into the ground first. Some transplant are abled to be ignored but I don't think this is one of those. I think they will be fine but wanted to give you a heads up.

Vickie would love love love to have Solomon's Seal. Lately, I have seen several combos with SS. Sorry Kate didn't do it for you but she's a definitely adding something to my garden. Shannon

• moka_jo
    16 years ago

Woodsworm, ok, I'll see what I can do. I was reading that they will root in sand, so I'll try to set up a couple of cuttings that way. It sounds like it's a bit early to be taking the cuttings, but it's worth a shot! Any chance I could get a little of your kalanchoe? Thanks!

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

yotedog - I just got a Hot Coco Rose, if you know how to root it, I'll bring you a cutting... Let me know

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

Vickie, I've got 'suncrest' and un-named orange asiatic lilies, japanese anemones 'Richard Ahrens', a tiny 'the Fairy' rose, 'Dilys' hardy geranium, pink lespedeza (I think it's 'gibraltar' or 'pink fountain' because I got it at PDN and it's never seeded around like some lespedezas), some daylilies, Hypericum calycinum, acanthus, mayapples, a tiny 'taube' hydrangea all potted up for the general swap. If you want any of those I will set it aside. My trade list is mostly up to date so if you see something on there I can try to dig it up. -Ais.

• dirtrx
    16 years ago

If I have a special trade with you please check on my member page under the "Seeds I have to trade" section to see if I have everything correct please. It has been a crazy week but I think I have most of my trades listed. I probably won't do any special trades after Wednesday just so I have time to make sure that everything is divided and boxed so if you wanna trade ...type now or wait for Saturday. If I have forgotten anyone or anything please don't hesitate to post. I don't trust the gardenweb email. Too many emails have been lost in cyberspace and I don't want anyone to be shortchanged. The Black and Blue salvias will be grouped together off to the side so people can just grab those as they walk by. I don't want to take up table space. Counting down the days!!!! Shannon/Dirtrx

• dellare
    16 years ago

Magick, I am so sorry but I could not get the white sage for you. I checked from my computer at home and it was on our plant list at work but I checked at work and we do not carry it anymore. I asked the owner and he said that it just does not perform well here. When I had googled it I read much the same. It doesn't stand up to our heat or humidity. So sorry. Adele

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Adele - no worries :) I may just have to order it to try.

• yotedog
    16 years ago

Thanks Magick, I'd love any you could spare. Sent you an email, FYI

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Yote - It's a beautiful rose!!! I picked up Hot Coco & a Cl Butterscotch. I don't know how to root anything, but I'll do some research so I can get you a good cutting. I didn't get your e-mail... Tammy@MagickButterfly.com

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Here is what I have so far. Let me know if I've left anyone out or gotten anything wrong. My organization skills are lousy.

John - ? for Spicebush
    Ralph - pardancanda, butterflyweed, mystery salvia, salvia Blue Hill for Veronica 'Waterperry', Euonymus fortunei 'Gracilis' and I'm not sure what else? Maybe heucherella 'SIR gold', trillium?
    Brenda - mystery salvia for 'Lovechild' salvia
    Alicia - alumroot for iris brevicaulis
    Tanya - solidago, pardancanda for iceplant, hibiscus
    Moka jo - butterflyweed for carnations
    Cutternumber - daylily? for jack-in-the-pulpit

Cutter - I have a list of the daylilies I'm bringing on my trade page if you want to let me know which one you want.
    Or if you want tomatoes/peppers let me know that too.

Does anyone have any 'May Night' salvia to trade?

Dana

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

I think I have it all down but check and let me know if I've made any mistakes please.

AIS - foxglove for gingko
    Alicia - white butterfly ginger, purple iris, white foxglove and miniature iris for Iris brevicaulis, Phlox divarcata, Iris tectorum and Formosa Lily
    Amyflora - mini iris for Kalimeris
    Brenda - LA iris and purple/black passalong iris for Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream,' pink dinner plate hibiscus and Black Cohosh.
    Cutter - surprise assortment de'jour
    John - red Valerian
    Krystol/Dogridge - verbena bonariensis and white Foxglove for redbud and boulders
    Magick - White Beauty Berry babies
    Moka Jo - sedum de'jour for dianthus caryophyllus - Carnation "Clove Drops. Sorry still no show on the Night Blooming Jasmine. :(
    Ralph - Armenian Cuke seeds
    Shannon - sedums and hardy begonia for white iris and viburnum
    Tammy - lamium, foxglove, H. tara and lindernia for ferns, zuke seed and cymbularia/Kennilworth Ivy

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Oops, I did leave something off. Alicia I also have CL Zepherine rose cuttings for CL Old Blush rose cuttings.

• dirtrx
    16 years ago

Dana- I have a May Night. Do you have San Carlos Festival available? Shannon/Dirtrx

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

This is my trade list so far (also found on my trade list). If I am missing anyone, please let me know:

Tamelask
    kiwi cuttings(M&F), black & red rasp, wineberry, mullberry
    Trade For: Peony & Hosta

Dirtrx
    "Black and Blue" Salvia, common passion flower, St John's Wort "Albury Purple"
    Trade For: Hosta

Dogridge
    Painted fern, orange & purple agastache
    Trade for: Peony & Hosta

Rootdiggernc
    White beautyberry Seedlings
    Trade For: ?????

Tietie
    Rooted gardenia cuttings
    Trade For: Azaleas

Ralphw
    ee 'Illustris'

Shari1332
    B.lindleyana

Wormswood
    Carolina Allspice

Here is a link that might be useful: Trade/Wish List

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Magick, thanks for finding one of my mistakes. I think that was TieTie/Tanya's white beauty berry. They are teeny tiny baby seedlings and I have enough if you'd like a couple?

Titie, I do have you down for white beautyberry for a gardenia.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is my trade list. Let me know if I missed anyone.

Brenda_near_Eno: Florida azalea seedlings for sweetshrub

Tamelask: Cinammon fern, Iris tectorum, Cyrilla cuttings, American snowbell cuttings, Salvia coccinea seed, Florida azalea seedlings for sweetshrub, plumbago, Campanula "Cherry Bells", Campanula Bells x takesimanna, black raspberry, wineberry, and Buddleia.

Rootdiggernc: Iris brevicaulis, Phlox divarcata, Iris tectorum, and cutting Rose "Climbing Old Blush" for white butterfly ginger, purple iris, miniature black iris, and rose cutting "Zephirine Drouhin".

Ais: Ebony spleenwort, Cinammon fern, and 2 Southern lady fern for daylilies.

Krystol: LA iris for white bearded iris

Dana: Iris brevicaulis for alumroot

Vicky: Formosa seed and seedlings for daylilies, iris

Tanya: Cleome seed and Florida azalea seedlings for 3 basil and canteloupe

RalphW: Purple muhly seed and Monarda "Claire Grace" for Tiarella "Snowflake"

Shari: Rosa "Mutabilis" cutting, Rosa "Sir Robert Lipton" cutting, and Salvia roemeriana
    seed for Penstemon "Sour Grapes", 3 wax myrtle seedlings, and Salvia transylvanica

• tamelask
    16 years ago

ok- here's my list so far. i have put a question mark behind anything i noticed was missing from the other's list or i never received confirmation on.

Root/deb: ebony spleenwort, jap painted fern, cymbularia, zuke seeds, for lamium, foxgloves, tara ginger, black stem ee?, white malvas?
    Brenda: georgia blue, columbines (not cana), for hardy fuchsia, black cohosh
    Ralph: zuch seeds, melon seed, aremenian cuke, cutting of phygelia, caneberries, white nicotiana, kiwi cuttings (they turned black with the frost, but may re-leaf by then), marion stewart cuttings, jujube cuttings, pomegranate cuttings, persimmon cuttings?(also black from freeze) for waterperry blue, Tiarella 'Chocolate Mint' & 'Snowflake', Disporum, and EE 'Black Magic', Heucherella 'Strike It Rich Gold', batface cuphea
    Alicia: veilchenblau cuttings?, carolina allspice, plumbago, cherry bells, camp cross, wineberry, black & red raspberry, buddleia for cinnamon fern, swamp cyrilla cuttings, roof iris, azaleas, royal fern?, styrax cutting, ruellia?, s. roemeriana? & s. coccinea seeds
    Nancedar: yellow tb iris, sib iris, apricot daylilies, hyperion dayliles for mini irises, selengella, shade sedum & native sedum,
    Dogridge/krystol: vinca!, apricot daylilies, nepeta, hosta seedlings? for rue seedlings, boulders
    Magick: berry plants, kiwi cuttings, mulberries for hostas, peony
    Ais:wood phlox, for jap anemone,
    John: plects, for jungle gold, but we can swap whenever
    Moka jo: sedums, lemon/lime thyme, asclepias seed, ice plant, for yellow/red yarrow
    Amyflora: seeds- poppy, larkspur, nigella, 'buttered popcorn' ranunclus, hellebores for adele for blue stockings monarda?, contraband girl?
    Tanya: wineberry, black raspberry for stripey & pineapple toms, peach iceplant
    Dana: swap lizrads; for ellen's blue buddleia cuttings?
    Cutter: mock orange cuttings? for rice paper plant?
    Shari: chartreuse & 'john creech' sedum, gold coin plectranthus, iris cristata, 'aloha' cutting for miscanthus 'little kitten', rudbeckia 'goldsturm', grape penstemmon

please let me asap if you notice anything amiss. thanks! tam

• amyflora
    16 years ago

SPECIAL TRADES-WEBNAME-plant I'm bringing,(plant or seeds I am getting)

* Dogridge-Iris virginica 'Contraband Girl', (?)

* Brendaneareno-I.'Cont. Girl','Gamecock',(Prunus mume, I. arguta 'Blue Dream')

* Rootdigger-Kalimeris pinnafitida,(mini black iris)

* Ralphw-Monarda 'Bbue Stockings', Climbing Spinach from Adele(Impatiens omiensis or something like that! :D)

* Tie-tie-Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' seedlings, Monarda 'Blue Stockings',(blackberry lily, peach iceplant)

* Dtpforu-K. pinnafitida,(rice paper plant, if possible)

* Shari1332-Single Apricot Korean Mum,(Salvia transylvanica)

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tammy I'm still interested in the Veilchenblau cuttings. I have the Ruellia and Salvia roemeriana seeds. If I don't find a Royal fern before Sat. and I do this summer I'll bring it to the fall swap.

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Dana, you left off our Salvia transylvanica for "Bengal Tiger' canna.

The rest of my trades:
    Nancedar- Sedum kamtschaticum forma variegatum and Sedum takesimense for Sedum album 'Coral Form' and 'Blue Spruce'

moka jo- Buddleia lindleyana for Christmas cactus

Tammy- Miscanthus 'Little Kitten', Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm', and Penstemon 'Sour Grapes' for chartreuse and John Creech sedums, Plectranthus, Iris cristata, and Aloha rose cutting.

Magick- Buddleia lindleyana for hosta

Alicia- Wax myrtle seedlings, Penstemon 'Sour Grapes', and Salvia transylvanica for 'Mutabilis' and 'Sir Robert
    Lipton' rose cuttings, Iris tectorum, and Salvia roemeriana seeds

Amy- Salvia transylvanica for Single Apricot Korean mum

Shannon- Salvia transylvanica for Helenium

• woodsworm
    16 years ago

moka_jo, the kolanchoe is yours.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator