brenda_near_eno

WANTED: Continued 2:Special Trades for Raleigh Swap

brenda_near_eno
18 years ago

300 and still going....

Comments (150)

• shari1332
    17 years ago

Deb, I appreciate the offer but I think I'll pass. I'll pick up a couple of plants at the local nursery. We love the really hot peppers but they can only be used in such small doses. The japs we'll eat fresh.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Shari, someone may bring some to the general swap. I kept a jalapeno in a large bucket for several years. Just wintered it under the house. It was always late coming back, but it gave us scads of peppers.

Ferndottar, I'm new to rose cuttings (last year was my first year with roses), but I did some googling on it and think I can manage it (cut the ones that have already bloomed). Hope they do well for you.

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, everything looks good depite hail again (not complaining, at least it's precip), including Ais's sourwood and Deb's sassafras. One of Nancy's redbuds went to plant heaven, and Tammy's Pennywort and Ais's Puttyroot are going dormant - but they're there, I promise, my ones in the ground are also fading. The putty root may even put up a bloom if I haven't stressed it too much. Deb, are we also doing ginger for Furman? I'm diggingin the logged wasteland after the rain stops today, so last call for natives if you want 'em. I should have 2-3 pots of bloodroot for general swap.

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Karen I will be bringing a green, white and possibly Little Nicki nicotiana to the swap. I wintersowed it fairly heavily (okay really heavily) so it can be divided and spread out (among gardeners or over a garden). Just catch me in the parking lot, I have 2 containers of the green so one for you and one for the plant tables. I'm not sure how many containers I have of the white but I can always subdivide the jugs if need be. I'm too disorganized at this moment to be concerned about a trade LOL. I'll be driving a burgandy Pacifica and I'll probably be pulling in at the last minute because I always take the wrong way on the beltline. Shannon

• dtpforu
    17 years ago

I'm bringing for the general swap:
    1 burgundy pineapple lily. I was digging and cut the bulb, but the crown is intact and it looks no worse for the wear. It's been in it's little pot for over a week now with no signs of stress.
    Lots of Money plant.
    Lots of evening primrose
    lots of obedient plant
    some lilies
    cannas
    sedums
    and anything else I can dig and pot up this evening or tomorrow afternoon.

See you guys Saturday! I'm bringing a friend and a newbie so you guys be gentle with her. LOL
    Vickie

• tamelask
    17 years ago

shannon, don't forget to set aside a green nico for me, too, please. we were swapping the green nico & chocolate rud for pink physostegia & some evergreen ginger (hexastylis). liv will be doing 'fashion parade' today to find the too small stuff for your daughter too.

brenda, i'm glad you mentioned your puttyroots are going dormant, b/c the one you gave me is, and i was afraid maybe i'd over or underwatered it. my cranesflies are starting to turn so i wasn't too concerned, just a little.

shari, i've kept peppers going in a pot & overwintering in the basement for 3-4 yrs at a stretch. it's nice if you only want a couple, esp hard to find varieties, b/c you've already got the plant ea yr & it's ready to go.

fern, as i mentioned, my roses won't have already bloomed wood on them as they're going gangbusters now, but i'll bring some stuff i think will work. if they don't take you can always visit in june & get more.

vickie, it sounds like your newbie friend will have lots of company this swap, judging from the newbies thread. i'm hoping a freind can come, too. but she won't know til the last moment. maybe we should make them wear funny hats or something... hee hee hee, only kidding. tam

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Brenda, it's up to you. I'll bring you WB-Ginger regardless, if you want it. If you have some furman's fine, if not that's not a problem. I have plenty of the WB-Ginger.

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I already had a Furman with your name on it, Deb. I grew the bunnytail grass from seed this year for my stepdaughter (loves anything "bunny"), so I'm set on that.

• thripmaster
    17 years ago

I was out there seeing what I want to pack up and found a few more items to bring. A tray of datura seedlings(aka: Devil's Trumpet, Horn of Plenty), some Veronica spicata, Blue Charm seedlings, and some Verbena bonariensis. Anybody want to reserve some. These are all small seedlings in paper cups.

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Robin, are we still trading? It was for tiger lilies and possibly a toad lily. You never said what you would like from me or if you had enough of the toad lily. Or at least I missed it if you did.
    Dana

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Thanks for the Furman's Brenda, I must have missed the post about it.

Well is everyone ready? Still need to pot up a couple things, but most of it is done and then decided to dig a few more things for the gen swap that has finally come up.

• thripmaster
    17 years ago

Hi Dana: Yes, I have you down for the Heaven's Gate Toad Lily and a Tiger Lily. I think I might not have been able to find your trade list. I'm not worried about it though. I'm sure you will bring something I will like. I have your stuff saved.

I'll swing back through the thread and see if I can find your trade list.

• arwenlurks
    17 years ago

check, alliums for vickie and tanya. and some for cindy-in-the-other-thread-for-starting-a-new-garden.

i *know* i missed somebody way up in the posts there, or forgot to write something down. grrr, i can't keep up!

;)

stopped raining up here in north durham now. ho-hum.

arwen

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Robin - just click on "my page" and go to my trade list there. I never posted a separate trade list for the swap. There may be some things on my main trade list that I don't have at the moment, but I think most of them I do. I'm not planning to bring all of them for the general swap though. I don't have time to pot up everything I have, so if there's something you see that you want let me know so I can dig it tomorrow if I haven't already. Off the top of my head, the things I know I'm bringing are -
    cannas - different varieties
    epimediums
    callicarpa dichotoma
    hydrangea arborescens
    pink oxalis
    chives
    daylily 'Fairy Tale Pink'
    verbena bonariensis
    pardancanda seedlings
    marsh mallow
    helianthus 'Lemon Queen'
    maple leaf viburnum
    some other native viburnum
    sedum 'Autumn Joy'
    sedum 'Autumn Fire'
    sedum 'Blue Spruce'
    tovara
    stevia
    veronica 'Georgia Blue'
    I know I'm leaving something out and I may feel inspired to dig a few more tomorrow when I'm digging the cannas. Just because it's not listed here doesn't mean I can't get it for you.
    Oh, and just to make sure - your tiger lilies are the ones that grow from a bulb and not the orange daylilies aren't they? I know some people refer to the orange daylilies as tiger lilies. I just thought about that. Not that I don't like the daylilies, but I already have a ton of those.
    Dana

• dtpforu
    17 years ago

Awww, Dana, now you've done it. OK, can you bring a hydrangea arborescens for me? Or maybe a callicarpa dichotoma? Sigh, what else can I bring you? I already have a fan of Marlette Muscadine Wine dug for you. I think I'm done and then you post all that good stuff. LOL

Thanks,
    Vickie

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

I'm really not quite sure what all I've dug to bring, but I think this covers most of it. Only one of some things unless I get a burst of energy tomorrow that coincides with both daylight and being at home.

Lonicera nitida ÂBaggesenÂs GoldÂ, Phlox pilosa, Rudbeckia maxima, Orostachys erubescens and imbricata, Hypericum galioides ÂBrodieÂ, Salvias viscoa, puberala, koyame, nubicola, and forskaohlei, seedlings from Helleboreus foetidus and H. argutifolius, Cypella coelestis, Iris fulva, a purple unnamed Louisiana iris, Indigofera amblyantha, Tinantia pringlei, Gladiolus gandavensis ÂBooneÂ, Ipheion uniflorum, Vernonia glauca, Geranium ÂKarminaÂ, Amsonia hubrechtii, Amsonia taebermontana, Aster divericatus, Aster ÂJin DaiÂ, Kalimeris pinnatifida, Patrinia scabiosifolia, Alstroemeria psitticina, Euphorbia ÂGolden TurmÂ, Ruellia humilis, Spirea ÂBeryl RoadÂ, Thuja ÂSherwood FrostÂ, assorted sedums, Cuphea glutinosa, Phalaris ÂFeeseyÂs FormÂ, Dianella ÂGold StripeÂ, Stachys monieri, Talinum calycinum. Dianthus japonicus.

And the parking lot trades:
    For Vickie: Amorphophallus konjac and bulbifer for Dr. Moy
    For Tammy: Amorphophallus konjac and bulbifer for blue phlox
    For Shannon: ?? for green and white Nicotiana (I don't think we decided what I'll bring you in return yet)
    For Brenda: Lonicera fragrantissima (winter honeysuckle) and seedlings or cuttings from Salvia ÂEl Cielo Blue (probably May will be better for cuttings from the salvias)

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

Dana,

I would love to trade some stella d-ora daylilies for some of your 'Fairy Tale Pink' daylilies.
    (would not mind getting a small hydrangea arborescens either :-)
    Please check my trade page and see if I have something you would like?
    Thanks! Jean

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Seems like lots of us are bringing verbena-on-a-stick, so I think I'll leave mine at home and dig some Hydrangea today instead for the general swap. Karen, I would love some Talinum calycinum! Wish I'd rooted more than 7 of the Furman Salvia, because I hate for anyone who would like some not to have plenty. I'm going to put lots more in to root now and bring loads of blooming pots to the fall swap. Also, my Furman has been naughty with the Lipstick in the bed beside him - figures! So I have a big hybrid baby with larger red blooms, rounder, shinier leaves, and somewhere between upright Furman and sprawling Lipstick. I'll bring cuttings for anyone who wants it now and root lots for the fall swap, because this looks like my new soap-box favorite, though it is a love-child-with-no-name. Dana, what's your native viburnum? I have rafinesquianum and acerfolium, and I'm looking for other natives. I'm going to try to arrive early.

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Karen - is there anything I can tempt you with for the salvia koyame?

Brenda - I have no idea what the viburnum is. I know it's not acerfolium. I looked up the other one and it may be that one, but I'm not sure. Maybe you can id it for me? I may go out this afternoon and look around. There are several different kinds in my woods I believe.

Jean and Vickie - I really didn't see anything else I can use on either list (I have plenty of Stellas), but I am bringing two of the hydrangeas and I'll look to see if I can get more.
    Dana

• thripmaster
    17 years ago

Dana you are bringing some great plants. I would love to have a fan of your fairy tale pink daylily, a bit of epimedium, and also veronica. If you like veronicas, would you like one of my Blue Charm Veronicas? (veronica spicata)? Thanks for being patient with the newbee and putting the plant list in the thread.

Robin

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Are these swaps at 11 or any particular time?

• dtpforu
    17 years ago

Question for all of you. I have a friend that would dearly love to have a Sargent's Weeping Hemlock (but not the canadian hemlock). Would anyone happen to have a small one of these that they want to get rid of?

Thanks,
    Vickie

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

Dana, I can always be tempted. I'd love a start from your Colocasia 'Fontanesii' if you have it available. Also interested in Stevia and pardancanda seedlings. I checked your wish list and can probably dig you a rhizome of Iris foetidissima to go with the salvia, that is if you're still looking for it.

Brenda, I've got you down for the Talinum, and Carla for the Gladiolus.

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

Forgot to ask, if I bring begonia cuttings, would anybody want them? I think I've saturated the folks at work. Also, how early do people come to make the parking lot handoffs?

• aisgecko
    17 years ago

I'm hoping to be there at 10:45 or at least no later than 11. I figure I will try to search everybody out in the parking lot for the special trades inbetween lugging stuff up to the swap(or maybe we can designate a special trades corner). It's a little confusing trying to find a bunch of people you don't know so I try to get a nametag on quickly. See you all soon! -Ais.

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Karen, Yes I am still looking for the iris. I would love to trade for that too! I definitely can trade the stevia and the pardancanda since I already have those potted up. I'll check to see if the colocasia is up yet. It's sometimes slow, but since it's been so warm, it might be early this year. Thanks,
    Dana

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jean, I have a tiarella for you. I would love some burgundy glow ajuga or snow queen salvia, if you are bringing?

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Karen - The colocasia is just starting to come up, so I was able to get a small piece of it.
    Dana

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

Brenda,
    Hi! I would rather have Hydrangea maculata - do you have any of that left? would really LOVE that!! (or even the nikko blue?) The tiarella would be great, too - do you know the variety?
    I will bring you both the burgundy glow ajuga and snow queen salvia!
    Jean

• jeane
    17 years ago

My amaryllis is blooming. I have a few for the swap, but not sure if I should dig them up. I tend to think no, what do you think?

Thanks,
    Jeanne

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

Dana,
    Do you happen to have another small start of colocasia for me? Thanks in advance, either way!
    Jean

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Jeanne, I've brought home amaryllis from former spring swaps and they kept right on going and bloomed for me. If it's going to damage yours though just wait til fall.

• ratgirl
    17 years ago

OK I swore I was gonna stop, but ....

Arwen: Are all the giant alliums spoken for? (Don't sell anyone short on my account though, please!) If not, lemme know if you want to do an extra trade (I've got you down already for B&B salvia for ice plant).

• bmaxx
    17 years ago

Jean, I am bringing a couple of EE if Dana doesn't have more!

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

bmaxx, are you Ralph? (ralphw)(ralphwhisnant)?
    :-)
    Jean

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

Shannon /dirtrx,

Shannon, tell me (*quick* lol), am I bringing you something? (Besides a big smile?)
    thanks!
    jean

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jean, I tagged a macualta for you. Out of time now for me, folks!

• jeane
    17 years ago

Thanks Dana, I'll try it.

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

All labeled and loaded. I'm bringing the begonias whether you all want them or not. Don't look too closely at your special trades, cause they may be hidden in there.

• shari1332
    17 years ago

I'd gladly take a begonia.

• jeane
    17 years ago

Me too

• bmaxx
    17 years ago

JNHidden, no, I'm Bess. My motorcycle's name is Maxx. Hence B-MAXX..I need a new web name...but can't think of a good one.

OK...I have potted, a few glads, a few iris, EE for Nancy and Jean, Blazing star for RatG...lotsa hosta and several Daylily...a coupla Rose of SHaron, and a bunch of coreposis. OHH....and a little-bitty pot of Cleome (spelling?) seedlings. AND...I'm a newbie! :)

SEEYA'LL Tomorrow!

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Loaded and ready to roll. Actually had to leave some things due to running out of room. Will just add them to the fall stuff to bring.

ARE WE EXCITED YET!!

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

Wooo hooo~ yes, that is! :-)
    Could you hear all the enthusiasm in my text?!

It is going to be a mad house, isn't it?
    JEAN

• nancyofnc
    17 years ago

bmaxx - you didn't tell me what you would like for trading for your EE so you'll have to find me by the curb and pick out something from the open swap goodies I'm bringing. And, thanks ever so.

Newbies - looking forward to meeting all of you and getting you addicted. HehHehHeh.

Nancy the nancedar

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Jean we are good! Its all about the Kharma.
    Tamelask we are set. I set your plants aside early on :)!
    Carla/Ratgirl- Thanks for the early trade. Absolutely loved your garden. You inspried me alot. After seeing your garden I wish I hadn't finished my last bed. Its crying out for a small berm. I loved the way your garden had vignettes. It reminded me of a Charleston garden.
    See everyone on Saturday. Got the dessert made. Shannon/Dirtrx

• ratgirl
    17 years ago

**blushing and tearing up** Thanks for all the sweet words Shannon. Those folks in Charleston must be loons too! To think I could inspire someone. Those things you call vignettes must just be plants surrounding places where mulch is showing (and you know what Nancy said ... "If you can see mulch you don't have enough plants!") Oh, you forgot your coreopsis and hardy begonia. I've got 'em in the car for you.
    OK, but here's the thing: I've lost it. I filled up the car this afternoon, then realized I barely had a spot for Ian (DH) to sit. Then I looked around and saw three flats yet to load and remembered, Yikes! I still have to fit 6 gallons of tea in there somewhere. So, well, we'll be bringing two cars. LOL.
    See y'all there ....

• Ralph Whisnant
    17 years ago

I have my son-in-law's pickup loaded to the gills. Just barely enough room for my wife and the big cooler (salad - lettuce is from our garden). The only thing missing is Tanya's Flowering Quince, and we will deliver it somehow another day. See you-all in the parking lot in about 9 hours!

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

rootdigger,
    Can't you tie the extras to the roof and hang them out the window?
    hahahaha
    jean

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

Arwen, I would take an allium, if you have an extra available.
    karen__w, I will gladly take a begonia or two :-)
    tamelask(Tam): I would love rose cuttings of: veilchenblau, osette Delizy and fantin latour, if available.
    ferndottar(Dawn), I would try a Jack in the Pulpit, if still available.
    Brenda, since you said you had plenty, I'd gladly take one of the Japanese Apricot trees
    thripmaster, I would not mind at all if you were able to reserve a small cup of the Veronica spicata 'Blue Charm' (Spiked Speedwell)following for me, if still available.
    Bmaxx, would love some glads...
    Ais, I just read that you wanted a sourwood to attrack birds - don't have that, but I have Ratibida pinnata (prairie coneflower) that birds love; do you want me to bring you one?
    Thanks everyone,
    Jean (jnhidden)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH