o
WANTED: Continued 2:Special Trades for Raleigh Swap

Posted by brenda_near_eno Z7a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 17, 06 at 16:41

300 and still going....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Continued 2:Special Trades for Raleigh Swap

I'll start this one ... last spring someone brought small, rooted carpet roses that were red. I wonder if that person or anyone else has a white one. We planted a white one about 10 years ago on the grave of my husband's cat. I lost it to some overzealous vines that got away from me and would love to replace it with a similar one.

Thanks -- Carla

o

dana- i'd be thrilled with the silkworms. glad to hear your turtle decided she likes the silkworms better- they'll be easier to get, right? i hate letting the kids have worms out of my garden. they have to dig them- i won't give them up easily. i don't mind if they get them out back, though. now grubs i do save for them. try that for your turtle- one of ours relishes grubs. i ck'd the rooting mulberries today and they haven't rooted yet. the foliage is coming out, though- so we'll see. also, the one i did a pot around the stem with dirt (sort of an airlayering thing) is leafing out well. i doubt it'll be rooted by the time of the swap, but maybe i can get it for you later. pete hasn't dug the other bigger one out yet- with today's rain i'll see if he will do it tomorrow eve. it's been so dry the ground is hard. plus, we were super busy this weekend. here's hoping we get more rain tonight!!
i looked at your list and there's a few things i wouldn't mind instead of the maple leaved viburnum. let me know what you think, if any of these are availble right now. i don't have any muhly grass yet. nor purple emporer sedum- is that a larger variety like autumn joy or a shorty? and i'd been thinking about getting ellen's blue buddleia anyhow, though goodness only knows where i'll put it. maybe i'll get a cutting of that at fallswap or something. tam

o

• Posted by tietie z7b / 8 nc (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 17, 06 at 20:01

Carla, I am bringing Meidland rose that you might like. I think it is called 'Alba'. It is the same one that Nancedar has. I've let mine just ramble along the ground like a carpet rose. Several of the rooted cuttings I'm bringin have tiny flower buds on them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they open in time for the swap. We can call it even for the tiger lily that you are already bringing me.

Tanya

o
I've updated my page

Mon, Apr 17, 06 at 20:15

I've updated my page. Please take a look and make sure I haven't missed any special trades.

Can't wait to see ya'll
Tanya

o

• Posted by jeane 7b Garner NC (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 18, 06 at 1:36

Hello All,

I've enjoyed reading all the discussions about wants and haves. It does lead me to my question.

Will there be any plants for the general swap or should we fill out an "order form"? lol

John - don't worry about bringing plants, we'll just go "shopping" at your house while you're away!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Jeanne

o

Jeanne! Oh there will be gobs of plants in the general swap, as usual. I think we're doing so many "specials" because after a few swaps, we tend to have everything the others have and have to search for stuff we haven't swapped yet. Lots of us have been wintersowing (Shannon and Cory I know for sure) and we have surplus seedlings. I also have apricot trees, bloodroot, wild comfrey, hollyhocks, globe thistle, hydrangeas, furman salvia, heuchera, tiarella, and toad lily for the general swap. I don't think any of us will stop bringing quality plants for the general swap as long as other swappers are bringing quality plants. It is a fun time, isn't it? Kinda like the "plant grab" at Raulston, but with friendly people you know. I'm glad your knee is better - what's on your "order" form?

o

Jeanne, not a problem. When I dig something for a special swap if I have extra I also dig some for the general swap. Off the top of my head I'm bringing toadlilies, monarda, bronze fennel, abutilon, oregano, peppers, Spirea, monstera, hosta, for the general trade. Been to enough of these to know there will be gobs of stuff to share with all.

Don't forget folks that we can also bring, extra pots, buckets, gardening books, yard art, manure, etc.... for the general trade. We've swapped it all.

o

I know what you mean Jeanne, but I am bringing lots of good stuff for the general swap too. Most of what I bring for the special swaps I will have at least a little of for the general swap.
OK, this is how bad I am... last night my brother came over for dinner and we had some wine. I started to come here after he left and arrange MORE trades but thought better of it and left myself a note on the keyboard "NO TRADING". First thing when I woke up I came down to check out trades and saw my own note. Shame on me! I just moved it aside.
So here we go again...
Vickie, I do have the Black and Blue Salvias and I will save one for you. I am heuchera greedy and will take either. I also have 'Black Barlow' seedlings. They do not always come true but I can bring one that "looks" like the parent. My only concern is that lately I have been plagued by leaf miner. It doesn't hurt the plant terribly but makes it look ratty and I don't want to spread them around. So if you already have columbine and have leafminers I will bring you one but otherwise I think it best to not trade that one. However, I can definately save some seeds for the fall swap and they are really easy from seed.
Ralph, that brings me back to you. Do you prefer to take a hosta instead of the columbine? I am pretty sure I could divide Krossa Ragal, Paradigm, Pearl Lake, Sum and Substance(maybe), Gypsy Rose, maybe even Queen Josephine but she's one of my favorites so you might have to pry her out of my fingers...
-Ais.

o

nancedar, we need to get together about the daylilies. Please send the pictures with names to my email and I'll let you know what I would like for the ones you want.

Thanks,
Vickie

o

Tammy - I can do the muhly grass. I don't have any buddleia rooted right now and the sedum (which is a taller one) died out last year. I saved one piece of it to root, but all I've got now is what's coming up from that.
Dana

o

Finally, I have my swap list up. I will be adding more as things germinate and harden off. I don't have the variety I would like. Shannon/Dirtrx

o

Hey Shannon! I have Variegated Solomon's seal and some dark purple bearded irises. Could we trade? I'd like to get Clematis "Radar Love" and Bonfire "Dracula's Blood".

Let me know. I'm looking forward to seeing you. I missed you at the last swap!
Vickie

o

Shannon, would you like seedlings of Salvias 'Cherry Chief' and verticillata 'Alba' for a Gaura and Yvonne's salvia? Both of those are perennial.
Thanks,
Shari

o

Shannon, we are set. Ais, your sourwood is looking good after a week - amazing. Deb, I actually found a baby sassafras finally. It is only 6" tall, but the root was short too, and it may just make it - though I'd leave it in the pot a while after the swap. Seems like last swap I promised someone Solomons Seal and showed up with false solomon's seal - who was it and do you still want the SS?

o

Brenda, Carla, Vickie, and Shari 1332 I have your plants set aside.Let me know if there is anything else I can throw in your boxes. Vickie do you need anymore clothes? I have a few my DD has outgrown. Just let me know -not looking for a trade on those just more closest space LOL.

o

dana- that'll work well. pete tried to get that mulberry out tonight and broke the shovel. we think maybe it's a sucker from a large trunk. will still try, but no promises. however, i am watching over tjohnny b's place while he's outta town & he has them popping up a lot. if he gives me the thumbs up, i'll get one there for you, but it'll be a lot smaller. at least it'd be something til the other one that i've got airlayering roots.

shannon- i'd love to trade some pink physotegia for your chocolate rudbeckia. i'd like some green nicotiana if you have extra. let me know if there's something else i can bring you. i will probably have some seeds for columbines & maybe some other shady stuff. what size is your daughter? mine's in an 8, but needs to move up to 10. most of her shorts & such from last yr are too small. if that would fit your daughter, let me know.

o

Tamelask- maybe we should add a clothing swap hehe. My DD is about a 6- a 7 by the end of summer. I'd be glad to keep the clothes until she can wear them if they need a home.
I have you down for green nicotiana and chocolate rudbeckia. I noticed on your member page you have evergreen ginger by my name- do you have that?!! I would love some. I wintersowed lots of columbine last year and this year so I am good for that I would also love some of your pink phystegia. Does it grow as well as the white? I was thinking of putting it in a sunny but not full sun and maybe it wouldn't become so rampant. Shannon/dirtrx

o

LOL, 'Swappers R US' We swap it all!

Shannon, I can always use more columbine if I have anything you would like.

Brenda, I think it might have been me, but no worries because Nancy is bringing me some of the varie SS.

Tammy, we've broke two shovels and a hand digger already this year. Spirea and Reed grass were boogers to dig! Also cut a underground TV cable the other day...Oooops! Who'd a thought they'd bury it that far back in the woods! Heeehee!

o

Thu, Apr 20, 06 at 13:41

Hi again,

Thanks for your comments, glad to hear all the plants you'll be bringing. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Jeanne

o

Hi. When is this plant swap? I have ginger and ferns. Is this one in Garner?
Thanks! jean

o

jnhidden - Yes, the Raleigh Plant Swap is the one in Garner - A.K.A., Greater Raleigh Area, although it is a heck of a long way from Wake Forest (me) but I'll suffer the long drive. Welcome Jean - see the Exchanges page messages and posts "WANTED: Details of the Raleigh Spring Swap" and "WANTED: Shout out to the swap newbies" for everything you ever wanted to know about this crazy event.

Bring food too.

Nancy the nancedar

o

shannon, i'll be happy to bring any of liv's too small stuff. i just donate it to the thrift store anyhow, and a lot is cute, so i'm happy for it to have a home. we just donated a ton about a month ago, so i don't know how much there is, but we didn't go through the summer stuff yet. yeah, i noticed i'd asked you about the evergereen ginger along time ago & never gotten a reply. so i'll bring that instead of the seeds. the one i'll bring is hexastylis arifolium. the pink physo is quite the spreader. partial shade probably won't slow it much, but dry heavy soil will. the blooms are a really nice shade of orchid pink, and it blooms for a long time.

adele i also noticed that you never said what you'd like for some catwhiskers. come on, now, i know you work at plant nirvana & all, but there must be something... :)

goldie, do you want me to bring some cuttings of butterfly bush or not? seems like someone else is bringing you plants in which case you probably don't need or want the cuttings.

i need to update my list & will do so shortly. i'm really excited looking at everything. thanks everyone! tam

o

Sounds good Tammy - I don't want you to break any more shovels and certainly don't want poor Pete to hurt himself! I'm betting TJ won't mind giving up a mulberry seedling. Will you John? The powdered food for the silkworms is so expensive (and smelly), I really need some mulberries if I'm going to keep raising these things for my little zoo. I have plenty of land for multiple trees so will be very happy to get more later too. I hope they grow fast.
Dana

o

dana, they do indeed grow fast! we have one that's going on 20' & bore fruit last yr that was tiny just a 8 or so yrs ago. and that's in shade. i bet in sun they'd bear sooner & grow faster. i got permission from john, so when we're out there tomorrow night i'll look to find a good one. they have curious mitten leaves- a lot like sassafras, several shapes. easy to i.d. once you know it.

no worries about the shovel, probably was ready to go anyhow. we always buy the cheap ones. we have a resin one, but it's heavy so we always grab the cheap wood one instead. pete can do critters with the shovel heads, so it's just added supplies. i can use the handles as stakes, too. nothing goes to waste around here! lol. anyone have old rusty implements for trade? we'll take them gladly. any odds & ends that are weldable, too. guess i should have said that earlier- just didn't think of it til now.

as far as pete goes, he won't hurt himself. he stops before that point & has a beer to console himself that he's worked so hard. no problem with self preservation when it comes to him. lol. tam

o

Dana - have you tried growing it from cuttings? I always thought mulberry would root in water though I don't think I've ever tried it. It does show up from time to time in my creek bed area so I'm sure Tammy and Pete will find some.

Ok folks - I went to the Bustani Plant Farm yesterday and bought way too many plants. Now I want to go back and buy more but I just can't. If this keeps up there won't any room in the truck for me and the dog!

I don't believe any of the plants were over $5 but I'll double check the receipt when I get back.

I picked up an American Ipecac for Deborah. Two Copper Rain Lilies for Nancy (they are small but I believe blooming size. Could be they've just emerged). A double blue butterfly pea for Ralph. The one that really catches my eye is the butterfly pea - my god what a deep shade of blue. Ralph if you want this are you planning on propagating it? if you don't I know just the place to put it.

Now I am worried about gas prices hurting swap attendance. Everyone start saving your pennies!

o

Hi John! Thanks for picking that up. Glad you got the chance to go and I'm excited to see it. Pennies already saved and was just looking at the weather report for the 29th. Looks like sunshine and 73 degrees! How's that for perfect swap weather.

I think I've got all but one or two things for the swap all potted up. Trying now to get all the leftover babies from former swaps (plus stuff from recent walkabouts) in the ground.

Hmmm.... pennies! Make that dollars!

Here is a link that might be useful: Raleigh Garden Weather 10-Day.

o

John - I don't have access to a mulberry tree to even take cuttings. I know I won't get enough leaves to feed these things much for awhile from a seedling, but every little bit helps. When they're really small I waste a good bit of worm chow because it dries out before they can eat it and has to be replaced with fresh chow. If I can just use leaves when they're small, before they become eating machines, I'll save on food. We have a turtle, three fire belly toads and a bearded dragon that all love silkworms.
Dana

o

John, I am very excited that you were able to get the blue butterfly pea, and yes, I plan to propagate it to share at the future Raleigh plant swaps. Speaking of propagating, I potted up today several seedlings of the double flowered (purple and white) Datura metel 'Flore-Pleno' which I discovered growing in a pot of 'Black Magic' ee's. I should have enough for everyone if these seedlings survivive transplanting.

o

Dana - if I remember I will cut a bucket of twigs from the other park when I walk the hound that morning. Even if they don't root right away they should last long enough to feed your starvin caterpilla's. If you can get some babies or rooted cuttings you could keep them well pruned and multi-branched which will make it easy to harvest leaves. They grow real fast in regular garden soil with adequate moisture.

Ralph - when I was at Bustani Plant Farm they were not even set up for this weekends sale (they both still work full time jobs), many plants were not tagged or arranged in any sort of order. But the real kicker was the stuff he is still testing for future sales. It really hurts to see a beauty that you cannot buy. I'll just have to learn patience.

o

dana- we got 3 small, 1' bushy mulberries out from john's. no big ones that we found. he had like 5 or more still about, so if you want more, lmk. it's much easier to dig in his sand than our clay. i also stuck like 4 cuttings, plus the airlayered one. and i don't mind bringing some fresh cuttings for you to try too. (or just to strip for the leaves). i just did a big order of mealworms, which should allow a good colony of the silkworms to get going before we need them. the turtles love lawn grubs & worms more than about anything else, though. oh, and slugs, but we don't go there b/c they get so slimey.

i'm waiting til sunday to finish digging stuff for the swap after this supposed rain. i hate that it got so late, but i got busy with work, and then it was dry, so there it is. if we don't get the rain, i'm gonna cry. at least i got 2/3 of it done well ahead this yr. oh, i was soooo bad today i went & bought a buncha plants at lowe's. the lady said 'i know what you're gonna be doing this weekend' & i looked at her & said 'you don't know the half of it!' lol. my pot ghetto grows & grows & grows.... tam

o

Aisgecko, I still want the columbine, leaf miners or not. I am interested in trading for a piece of some or all of the hosta that you listed, if I have anything that you would like.

Dana, in addition to your Salvia 'Blue Hill, I am interested in the Abutilon 'Mar. Stwrt', Chocolate vine, coreopsis 'Moonshine', and a small piece of the cannas. I can add a Trillium cuneatum to the 4 plants you are getting (Impatiens omeiana, Celandine poppy, Lysimachia 'OBS' and Tiarella 'Mint Chocolate'.

Nancedar, the Clematis 'Elsa Spath' is yours for the Vitex and some orn. basil. I can bring you a rooted cutting of a brug 'Chas Grimaldi' and deliver a yellow flowered one later when the first one blooms (the tags got mixed up and I do not know which is yellow and which are 'Frosty Morn'.

Shari, I still have not seen any green in the Pineapple Sage pots. If none appears, I will substitue an ee 'Black Magic' if that is ok? Could I offer another ee (BM or Illustris) for some cardoon seedlings?

Vickie, I can bring you a Toadlily 'Samurai', rooted cutting of Brug 'Chas Grimaldi', a Stokes Aster, a lantana or two and throw in some Artemesia 'Limelight' and Salvia 'Black and Blue' for Rice Paper Plant, Soloman's Seal, and an assortment of daylilies and cannas.

Tietie, I would like to get a cardinal vine or two in addition to the other plants you're bringing me. I can bring additional toad lilies, or do you see something else?

Adele, I would like one of your violas. What besides Penstemons can I bring you?

Robin, you are bringing me Monarda, a per sunflower and Heavens Gate toad lily. What can I bring you?

Deborah, I would like the following herbs that you offered if I have something you would like in return: borage, fenugreek, Fo-Ti and the wild Yarrow.

Sally, you have offered 'Lysimachia Persian Carpet' and Bear Breeches. What can I bring you in return?

o

Ralph, I'd love the EE's. So we are down for Blue Oak sage, Sour Grapes penstemon and Cardoon for silver plectranthus, BM ee and Illustris ee. How many Cardoon seedlings? They are already quite large and potted up as singles.

Have to go out of town for the day. Leaving in an hour or so. I hope it rains today so maybe I won't feel so bad about missing out on gardening today.

o

Ralph, I am bringing plenty of Columbine seedlings - shall I put aside some for you? I have you down for Furman Salvia,Snakeroot with Bloodroot,Jade Dragon Euphorbia,Prunus mume,Impatiens zombensis for Ajuga, Celadine Poppy, Tiarella,Pineapple Sage. It doesn't matter about your pineappple sage, because mine finally sprouted. Could you part with maybe a clematis, or Lysimachia congestiflora 'Outback Sunset', or Veronica penduncularis 'Georgia Blue'?

The car is going to be full, so I could dig some Nikko hydrangeas for the general swap, but will anyone want them?

Ais, you traded me a 'Pearl Lake' last fall - just gorgeous. Surrounded by trilliums and strawberry foxgloves, it is the star. Thanks again.

The sassafras and sourwood still look good, but one of Nancy's redbuds bit the dust. I'm also bringing some white 4 o'clocks. Boy, I wish someone needed sweetgum or tulip poplar seedlings, cuz they are my major weeds this year, along with virginia creeper and wild grape. I am sick of pulling this stuff up. After tammy's description of the red mulberry leaves, I went out and sure enough, I have a few babies scattered around. Hope I didn't pull any up last year in the great-maple-purge-of-2005.

o

Ralph, I don't have any abutilon rooted right now. If you don't mind though I'd like to substitute the trillium for the impatiens. I forgot that I got some impatiens last year. I saw it coming up in the garden the other day. Everything else should be fine. Which canna did you want? I have everything available except 'Constitution' and 'Stuttgart' (my only extra of that one is promised to Brenda). I can bring you a cutting of the abutilon just to try though. They root easily, but I just don't have any already rooted at the moment.

Brenda - you also asked for abutilon. My inground plant has still shown no signs of life, so it looks like I need to keep my reserve "garage plant". I started a cutting for you a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't rooted yet. Is there something else you'd like instead? There's still a week left to see if either the one in the ground comes back or the cutting roots, but I can't promise anything. I'll bring you the cutting at any rate (plus whatever else you'd like).

Tammy and John - Thanks! All my critters appreciate it.

Dana

o

Ralph, you're already bring me so much (CG Brug, various toadlilies, Arum italicum, Ver 'GA Blue' and another Brug) and I was hoping I had something more for you. So, this is fine.

I have you down for... passalong mini iris, Duck potato, LS toadlily, Thai Poinsettia Pepper, Borage, Fo-Ti, Fenugreek and wild Yarrow. Let me know if you would like anything else or if I missed something.

o

Brenda - if you don't get the 'Georgia Blue' from Ralph, I have some already potted up to bring.
Dana

o

I'm sorry, Aisgecko, I didn't read your post. I have both heucheras set aside for you for the salvia and the black barlow. Of course I have leaf miners. No problem there. LOL

Ralph, consider it done! Woo hoo!

Now, I'm going to have to warn you all about this Rice Paper Plant. I'm sure you've all looked it up and realize that it can take off and make a beautiful bunch of plants. I planted one 2 years ago and now it's all over my tropical bed. So, I would suggest that you plant it in a big tub and sink the tub in the ground. That way you won't end up with 100 plants in 2 years like I have. LOL That said, I have to tell you that it's an absolutely gorgeous plant! I've put a link to my photobucket site of it from last year while it was still small.

So, here's what I have so far. If I've left anyone out, let me know. Nancdar, I have all the daylilies you're wanting to trade, so if you'll let me know what all else you have to trade, perhaps I can get something else in exchange for the daylilies. I won't dig the daylilies until Thurs or Fri night before the swap. I have a daylily meeting Friday night so I might need to dig them Thurs.

So far, here's my list:
*Brenda, I have Rice Paper Plant, Obedient Plant (pink and white), and some lilies for 2 Hydrangea maculata and a Japanese Apricot and a Furman Salvia.
*Tamelask, I have 2 Rice Paper Plants, Hens and Chicks, Dr Moy ginger for Ice plant, cross vine, Marion Stewart and butterfly pea.
* Shari, I have Rice Paper plant for catanache seedlings and some annual ice plant.
* Lynneefan, I have Hens and Chicks and ginger
*tie-tie, am I bringing you butterfly ginger?
*Ralph, Toadlily 'Samurai', rooted cutting of Brug 'Chas Grimaldi', a Stokes Aster, a lantana or two and throw in some Artemesia 'Limelight' and Salvia 'Black and Blue' for Rice Paper Plant, Soloman's Seal, and an assortment of daylilies and cannas.
*Dana, Marlette Muscadine Wine for Phlox.
*Nancedar, 'Champagne Taste', 'Sovereign Queen', most 'specially 'Valley Monster' and hens and chicks for can you send pictures of the daylilies you have to trade?
*Arwenlurks, butterfly ginger for limelight artemisia
*New2carolina, rice paper plant, for jackmanni clematis.
*Ratgirl, could I get a couple of Castor bean starts? What would you like from me?
*Aisgecko, heucheras - both, Black and Blue Salvias & 'Black Barlow' seedlings.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/dtpforu/2006 Flowers/?action=viewt=JosephineClematis.jpg
Check out that link, too. That's my Josephine Clematis I planted last year. Maybe next year I'll be able to trade some of it.

Oh, I almost forgot. My Rootbeer plant is coming back from last year! Does anyone have anything they'd like to trade for some of it? I think I can get maybe 2 starts from it.

Thanks,
Vickie

Here is a link that might be useful: Rice Paper Plant

o
RE: WANTED: Continued 2:Special Trades for Raleigh Swap again

OH Shannon, YES! She's 3 now, clothes would be a blessing!

Thanks,

Vickie

o
RE: WANTED: more Continued 2:Special Trades for Raleigh Swap

I didn't add this one to my list. Sorry Shannon:

*Shannon Variegated Solomon's seal and some dark purple bearded irises. for Clematis "Radar Love" and Bonfire "Dracula's Blood"

o

Dana, That would be great. Thanks much. Do not worry about bring the abutilion cutting - I'll be busy with other stuff in May and I'd just end up killing it.

Viva La Swap!

o

Since time is drawing near, let me make sure I haven't left anyone/thing out.

AIS, I have hardy begonia for Coral Honeysuckle.

Brenda, I have LS toadlily, abutilon megapatomica, hardy begonia and phlox divaricata laphamii for bloodroot, toadlilies, baby sass, phlox stolonifera 'Blue Ridge' and Japanese Flowering Apricot.

Carla B. I have a banana for Sass and a lilac. I still need to know if Musa Lasiocarpa is OK with you? Still no sign of the other bananas in the bed or pots, but I have the Chinese banana in a pot. It's just now starting to come up (the one in the bed is already leafing out). It's a nice healthy size and very cold hardy.

Dana, I have LS toadlily and Spirea for Phlox sublata 'Emerald Blue' and native ginger.

David, I have purple iris for white iris.

Nancy, various sedums and grape magic daylilies for variegated solomons seal, liliput iris and wintergreen.

Ralph, I have passalong mini iris, Duck potato, LS toadlily, Thai Poinsettia Pepper, borage, Fo-Ti, fenugreek and wild yarrow for CG Brug, various toadlilies, Arum italicum, Ver 'GA Blue' and another Brug.

Tammy, I have LS toadlily, H. foetidus, huernia/monkeytail, blue-eyed grass, musa basjoo, reed grass, and tank plants Red Ludwigea and grass for salvia B&B(2), salvia uliginosa, Winter Honeysuckle(2), morning glory, plumbago, toadlilies, turtleheads and columbines.

Thrip, I have harvest moon hosta, and grape magic daylily for various toadlilies amd dianthus.

If I've forgotten someone or left out a plant let me know asap. I think it's all dug except the bananas.

o

ok, folks, here's my comprehensive list here instead of on my page. i'm lazy & it's easier. please let me know if i left something off your list. i know i'm bringing one more freshly cut sprig for rooting of marion stewart, but i don't remember who asked for it. i think there are a couple more i missed, too. i'll try to go back through the threads and verify everything. with the rain today, i'm hoping to get the last stuff potted tomorrow.

?Marsha- echinacea, whoneysuckle (are you still coming?)
Arwen- delosperma, 4 sedums, for delasperma, golden selengella, diascia
Brenda- physotegia, whoneysuckle, hardy begonia, purple fall aster, camp takes, carolina jessamine, butterfly pea
for pennywort, furman's red salvia, native comfrey, tricostema 'blue curls'
?Leslie- columbines (are you coming?)
Deb/root- whoneysuckle(2), amethystina, hostas, columbines, plumbago, s. uliginosa, grandpa ott's morning glory, black & blue, turtle heads
for t.'lightning strike', h. foet., ludwigia, grassy water plant, huernia, basjoo, blue eyed, reed grass
Alicia- yellow 4 o'clocks
Vickie/dtpforu- crossvine, ice plant, butterfly pea, marion stewart unrooted cutting
for hen & chicks, 2 rice plants, dr. moy ginger
Dana/hollycliff- mulberries for muhly grass, silkworms
Ais- amethystina, cherry bells, hellebores, leadwort, hardy begonia
for summer beauty acanthus, myazaki trycirtus, jap anemone
Keith/sally- amethystina for persian carpet lysamachia
Ralph- amethystina, peren sw pea, grand ott's morn glory, cosmos, cypress vine,
for celandines, impatiens, bleed heart, samuri toadlily, penstemmons
Thrip/robin- veronica, asarums, for dianthus, loquat, blueberry ice spiderwort
Shari- rudbeckia triloba, aquilegia canadensis, bog sage, plumbago
for dianthus, blue oak sage, dragonshead
Shannon/dirtrx- evergreen ginger, pink physotegia, girl's clothes
Nan- heliotrope, dp rose, plumbago
for variegated sol seal, shade sedum, tiarellas, sib iris
?Goldie- cuttings from bflybushes (but i think you're getting plants from others)
Tanya/tietie- quince if we can get it out
Adele- ? for catwhiskers
LA folks- amaryllis, spiderlilies, amethystina, hostas, mums, camp takes

i'm also bringing for the general swap:
3 flats 6 packs of hellebores orientalis/hybridus seedlings(they aren't looking as good as past yrs; i think i waited too long to dig them out.), couple silver king artmesia, 4 rose of sharons, 1 echinacea, 2 6-packs a.cana, extra w. honeysuckle (may not be completely rooted), couple tricyrtus 'amethystina', couple sedums, 2 scentless perenn heliotrope, 2 verb bonariensis, 2 egyptian walk onion, 2 pink single mum, 2 or 3 campanula takesimana, 2 cherry bells, couple perenn sweet peas, plus whatever else strikes my fancy as i'm digging

o

I just got the bad news today that I will not be able to take the day off for the spring swap. So to John, Carole, Ais, Ralph, Brenda, Vickie and Tammy I sincerely apologize. Besides the cat's whiskers which are still looking a bit peaked everything else for the special swaps are potted up and looking great. To any of you that are planning on going to BB's after the swap, I would be happy to bring my plants to work that day to swap there.

Ralph, I have plenty of those little speckled violets. They keep popping up all over my front beds.

Vickie you didn't mention me on your list but I had you down for cat's whiskers in exchange for rice paper plant.

I'll keep my list of special swaps and will hopefully have an even bigger plant for you at the fall swap. Ain't no way I'm missing that one and besides it is not our busiest time of the year and so will not be a problem for me to get the day off.

Again I apologize. I sure am going to miss you all. Adele

o

Deborah -- the Chinese banana sounds great.

Nancedar -- the yellow buckeyes are flat busted. I don't know how long to give 'em before pronouncing them dead. Is there anything else on my list you'd want?

Carla

o

ratgirl - OK, so no buckeye, how about Salvia B&B, or Boltonia, or CHuck Hayes? You choose, I'll be happy in any case.

Nancy the nancedar

o

Sorry Dellare, I have you on there now. Bless your heart! We're going to miss you! I don't know if we're going to BB's afterward or not. Depends on how full I get the car. hehehehehehe and how my husband feels after cooking the hotdogs all day. But if rootdigger goes, she can pick up my catwhiskers and bring you your rice paper plant. I went to her house yesterday and dug up half of her babies to bring home with me. Hahhahahahaha, just kidding. She has plenty. I just need for you all to come to my house and help me dig. I need to really clean out these beds!

Vickie

o

No problem Adele. Bummer that you can't make it! I am probably not coming to Sanford that day but I will be there the next Saturday for the pottery festival and I definately plan on stopping by! If I don't see you then I will see you in the Fall. -Ais.

o

But do we have to take desserts to Adele at BB's? I understand helping her out with the special trades and all - but it seems a bit overboard to carry a piece of chocolate ecclair cake all the way to Sanford - doesn't it? is it just me?

I'm pretty sure I'll be heading that way after the swap - that is if I still fit in my car!

I have the lavendar/purplish cats whiskers. I don't know how well it is doing this spring because I'm not at home. I can tell you that cuttings root very easily and I have been known to haul them around in my pocket for weeks wrapped in a damp paper towel inside a plastic baggie with no ill effects, to me or the cuttings.

o

I'm not sure about BB's this year. Looks like I'm going to be pretty packed with the swap stuff, but we're always up there several times a year so we can set something up for later if we need to Adele. We'll miss ya.

I'm sure going to be happy about getting rid of all the pots sitting in my driveway! I've got 2 big pots of butterfly gingers (white) we dug last fall for the spring swap. Just need to divide them out for the swap.

Last reminder to check the food list. Just 6 more days! WooHoo!

Here is a link that might be useful: Food List

o

Cactusrequim, I would love to have one of those citrus trees. What would you like in return?

Thanks,
Vickie

o

Adele! We will miss you!

o

ok- finalizing everything today and made the unwelcome discovery that the winterhoneysuckles didn't root as well as i'd have liked. the pot was tucked away out of sight, and i know when i ck'd on them earlier they all showed signs of life & being rooted. well, only 1 took really well, another is partially rooted, and the others are still green inside but no roots or leaves. so, i hate to do this, but i'm going to have to reneg on the whoney for marsha, (who i'm not sure is coming anyhow, since she hasn't posted in forever), and i can only give you one, deb. the other will go to brenda. i'll take some fresh cuttings the morn of & bring them if anyone wants to try, they'll be more than welcome. the ones i stuck later in the spring, about 6 weeks ago, hadn't rooted (i didn't use rootone). with the fluctuating dry & heat they don't look so hot. the winter cuttings seemed to do the best. so i don't know if the spring wood will work, but the bush is big & i really don't mind trimming a bit. i'll have another go at if for fall swap, too. if i have time, i'll root some properly- with rootone, etc, and bring them with the caveat that they're freshly stuck. i'm so sorry!

ralph, i went to get you cypress seedlings and they haven't sprouted yet. i found only 1 measly orange cosmos. the pink ones are up, and i have a 6 pack ready of those. since you're in raleigh, i can get the stuff to you later if you'd like. they may still sprout this week with the rain we just got; i will keep my eyes peeled. i dug some bidens seedlings, which always look great with the orange cosmos. they are hard to tell apart when they're small. i hope that will be ok. let me know if you'd like something else instead.

tanya- i got out the quince with a nice root ball. it should do well for you. it certainly is a pest for me!

adele, i really hate that we'll all miss you! i doubt i'll run down to bb's afterwards. i have so much now & have no self control at all at that place. i don't think this crew will exactly hold me back, either! no worries about the catwhiskers. i'll get a cutting from john later.

so, i think save for a couple odds & ends that still need repotted, i just need to sort & label everything. a job in & of itself! :) tam

o

I think can fill in your winter honeysuckle gaps for anyone who gets left out. I saw some branches on mine that have layered and can dig them tomorrow.

o

Tammy, that's fine. I'll save that one for my sis and get one for me another time. I understand things don't always go as we'd like. I was concerned about the blue-eyed grass. It went pretty shocky when I dug it, it seems to be holding its own now. Also goofey me has had trouble remembering to turn the tank light on lately, so the ludwigea is not as red as it normally is, but it'll brighten back up pretty quick. Did you have me down for 2 of the B&B salvias?

o

tj, re: bb's i was going to go. my mom and i talked about it, and she wants to go. since we'll be all the way down there anyway, y'know...

tami, i'm so glad you posted about the whoney wimping out. i've been chewing my nails because my blue star creeper doesn't seem to root well, so i have only a tiny trade for ralph/sally, and i can't seem to get the diasca/twinspur to harden properly, so you may end up with some tiny seedlings... so whoney not rooting makes me feel better. :)

arwen

o

We are bringing the following plants for the general trade:
Aloes, Ric rack epiphytes, Walking iris, Ironweed, Tulip trees, Quilquina porophyllum, [supposed to taste like cilantro, but not to me], Snake gourd- Trichosanthes kirilowii,[supposed to be medicinal for something, can`t remember what!], Banana trees, unknown variety, Schefflera. I can dig some Jack in the Pulpits for anyone that wants some. We have many of them down by the creek. I would also be willing to dig some small sassafras. Let me know. I potted some for last years swap, they were fine for months, then during the winter I let them dry out.
I am wondering if any of you might have some old roses you might take cuttings of for me? I would also love some mulberry cuttings or fragrant viburnums.
We are looking forward to meeting all of you!
Thank you TJ for putting these swaps on. You are a gentleman and a scholar!
Dawn

o

so, arwen, you are coming for sure? i looked back through last night to see if you ever said which way your decision went as far as the wedding. glad my failure made someone happy. i wailed when i saw them. the one thing i figured was a sure bet, too! oh well, keeps my ego small, right? :) blue star is funny. i tried in a couple spots before i found one it liked & it's spread well. i have moved little bits around, but not much, because i hate to thin it where it is. i bought a flat of it at lowe's, and am hoping it'll do ok where i want to use it as a pathway. we'll see. you'd think creepy stuff like that would root well, but i've had problems rooting some things like that in the past. what works best for me is to let it grow into an adjacent pot & then cut it from the mother. it's fine about the diascia. lowe's is carrying it now, and if i really want some big, i can pick it up there. i thought it preferred cool weather.

deb, no worries about the ludwegia. some will go in a tank that gets some natural sun, and some will go into the pond. my tanks' lights would be completely erratic if i didn't have each of them on timers. thanks for being a sweetie about the whoney. i do have you down for 2 b&b's. the divvy's i dug aren't huge, but i know several people are bringing b&b because it's spread for them, so if you want more, it'll be there.

fern, i'd be happy to take some cuttings of my old roses before i come. i have fantin latour, dehlia's purple (which doesn't root well), rosette delizy, a rooted piece of veilchenblau, red cascade, new dawn, pink pillar, aloha (which isn't old) & mermaid. the others i have are too small or don't root well at all. let me know which you'd be interested in, so i don't bring armloads of prickly stems. it's really best to get the cuttings in june after they've bloomed, so if you aren't too far, you might want to consider that. since i'm going to be bringing some mulberry cuttings anyhow, i'll snip a few extras. i don't have any fragrant vibs, tho. just bought one yest, but needless to say i don't wanna perform surgery just yet. lol. oh, and fern, you only think tj's a gentleman because you haven't met him yet!! he's a rascal, that one! but a sweet rascal.... ; ) tam

o
RE: karen's an angel

oh, karen, i just saw your post- thank you! you make me feel so much better. tam

o

Mon, Apr 24, 06 at 15:39

Rootdigger, I'd love a butterfly ginger if you have enough and I have something you desire. Check out my page to see if anything interests you.

tamelask, did you decide what you wanted for the flowering quince?

Arwen, I sure hope your coming.... I have stuff for you.

Tanya

o

Deb, I'm standing in line for ginger too, if you have enough and I have something else you'd like, or more of what I've already potted for you. Glad to hear I'm getting winter honeysuckle cuz I was just admiring some last weekend and already coveting my soon-to-be-baby. Hey Karen, any rooted or unrooted Cielo, or is it still looking peak-ed?

o

I dug up three pots of Winter honeysuckle. Let me know if I need to dig more and I'll fight my way around to the back. I'm just about done potting for the swap and will try to post a list in the next day or two. A lot of stuff is just in ones or twos, but there are some things I can dig more of.

Brenda, it's still just a little bit early for El Cielo seedlings but I'll get one to you as soon as they show. And if they decide to take the year off, you can come take a cutting off of the one I wintered over.

Somebody mentioned having white and green Nicotiana to swap, but I can't remember who. If that's N. alata or N. sylvestris for the white, or N. langsdorfii for the green, I'd be very interested in a parking lot swap.

o

Tanya, I have plenty to share and would love some tomato plants. What kind are you growing? ....and what kind of veggies?

Brenda, Have you down for white butterfly ginger. Looks like my Furman's Red didn't make it, so that would be fine if you have any left. If not, no worries, I have plenty of ginger.

o

tanya, no i didn't see anything i really needed. 'cept maybe some jam... i noticed you offered that to ralph for a quince. what kind? i really didn't mind, because it was slated to be cut & rounded up. there used to be a humungous bush of it out front and it's been suckering for yrs now from root fragments. never saw that one bloom- didn't even know what it was when it was dug(it was an utter mess, mixed with other stuff). the one we moved just a yr or so ago is probably the parent of the roots/plant you're getting and it's the common coral color. it's droopy now, but should perk up. we moved a big ole bush last spring before the drought and it did just fine with no extra babying. bloomed well this spring.

i think it was shannon who said she had green nico- which i assume is langsdorfii, but i could be wrong.

karen, again, thanks for digging the winter honeysuckle. i will try to layer mine like that as well as rooting some cuttings for fall. i've got some low branches i was going to trim off anyhow. it's not really that pretty, but it sure is cool when it's blooming in feb.

i have a cotoneaster (i think- it's a seedling), malvaviscus drummondii, regular purple perilla, a rose campion, a pot of spider lilies, some stoksia, some rudbeckia triloba, more perennial sweet peas and some euphorbia that i'm bringing in addition to the things i'd listed before. now off to do tags... tam

o

I'm bringing lots of columbine babies - thanks to Tammy's advice last winter on how to get them to germinate. Also have a few Calycanthus floridus seedlings if anyone is interested? One foot-tall, bushy Brandywine tomato plant. Lots of babies from seed Cory gave me for a double purple datura, angel's trumpet - gotta love plants poisonous to deer. Please check my exchange page to make sure I have our trade listed correctly, or shout out if there's something I can bring for you, cuz I'm digging and potting again today.

o

*yes*, i'm coming, tammi. and i am *so* excited. so is my mom, she's been watching the weather and moaning about whether it will be raining or not.

i thought about it and pouted a bit but, y'know... i hate to miss either event, but in the end i just couldn't see switching plans with three weeks warning and a whole bunch of commitments and other craziness going on.

oh, btw, i may be bringing some giant alliums from another gardener. i'm still waiting to find out if she wants me to holler out for any special trades.

arwen

o

Arwen, ohohohohohoh, giant alliums? What does she want?????? LOL

fern, you think tj's a gentleman? Hahahahahahahahaha! Actually, he's more than that! He's our dinger! LOL

tietie, I have you down for butterfly ginger.

tamalask, the Dr Moy still hasn't sprouted yet, and I'm hoping it will before Saturday so I can see where I can get a piece. I usually mulch my tropical bed down at least a foot, so when I rake off most of the Mulch in the spring, I still leave part for composting on the bed. Pretty much everything else has sprouted and one of the Amaryllis is shooting up a bud, but no signs of either my Dr Moy or my Illustris, or the Black Magic. Now I'm getting worried. I know where it is, and may just dig down tonight or tomorrow and see what I can find. I'll keep you posted.

No takers on the rootbeer plant? I guess I'll bring it along with the other plants, the evening primrose, obedient plant, money plant, irises, crocus bulbs, lilies, etc.

Just 4 more days, guys!

Vickie

o

Who was it that wanted redbud seedlings? I've just noticed a few popping up and can bring them, but I'll just weed 'em out if noone's interested.

o

dtpforu -- OK I give up. What is your Rootbeer Plant? Is it a Hoja santa or Piper auritim or an Agastache 'Sunset Hyssop' or a Sassafras or Mexican Tarragon or 'Root Beer' Daylily cultivar? Whatever it is - I'll be looking for it Saturday - they've just about closed all the A&W root beer joints and I miss the smell.

ratgirl - Brenda_near_Eno will be bringing some for me but I know that there are a lot of swappers who have new yards and would love a native, no-care, flowering tree, no matter how long they have to wait to get them tree size. So, don't yank 'em, bring 'em. Don't even need to pot them - just roll in a wet paper towel and put the name on a rubber band around them. Someone'll surely snap them up, heck even me!

arwenulurks - So glad you and mom can make it after all.

TO ALL ____--0-0--____ don't forget something in a "red neck container" for the contest, and extras for Katrina survivors.

Nancy the nancedar

o

Nancy, it's Piper and does smell like root beer! Yummy!

o

Tue, Apr 25, 06 at 18:05

ralph & tamelask, i have strawberry jam, strawberry syrup, grape jelly, grape syrup, apple butter (2 kinds, sweet & chunky and carmelly), apple pie jam, banana bread butter and my own version of salsa.

rootdigger, the tomatoes i have are Galinas white cherry, Hugh's Yellow, Wisconsin 55, paquebot's Roma, Rutgers, Super Sweet 100's, Delicious, San Marzano, Maramande

vicki, what can I bring you for the butterfly ginger?

Tanya

o

Wow, tietie, what an impressive list of jams and jellies! Can I get a strawberry jam for the ginger? That's DH's favorite! yumm! would that be too much to ask? If not some ice plant would be cool!

I gotta get out and dig some more.

See everyone Saturday!

Vickie

o

Is anyone interested in waterlilies? I have a 'Texas Dawn' which is a BIG yellow lily and we just divided it. It blooms all season but you need to have room for it and even then it needs to be controlled.
They are probably going to be compost if I can't get rid of them so I may bring them even if nobody speaks up. I don't even want anything for them in trade, but I'm not sure I want to lug them out there if nobody is interested. (My truck is getting full!)
Also I am bringing white phlox divaricata (wood phlox) and I would like to trade some for blue if anyone wants to. I told myself no more pre-trading but my blue barely made it last year after a bad case of mildew. -Ais.

o

I have fresh seed from Amorphophallus bulbifer that I can bring if anyone's interested. No trades needed. Just let me know if I should bring them.

o

Ais, I've got blue woodland phlox.

o

I would dearly LOVE some of the woodland phlox, both the blue and the white if alicia and ais would like to trade for some lilies, maybe? I have tons of seedling lilies coming out all over the place this year. It might take a couple of years to bloom, but they are just young 'uns. give them time.

Thanks,

Vickie

o
RE: WANTED2: Continued 2:Special Trades for Raleigh Swap

Karen, I would like to try some of the Amorphophallus bulbifer seed. I'll gladly bring you something in return.

Thanks,
Vickie

o

Is anyone bringing jalapeno pepper plants? I've promised I would grow some this year.

o

Vicki,
Sure, what color/type are the lilies?

o

Tanya, I'd love to try the San Marzano tomato. Did you still want the white butterfly ginger?

Shari, I can bring you some hot pepper seed. No trade needed. Any certain kind or just HOT needed. I have a Hot mix which contains; Jalapeno, Long Red Cayenne, Large Cherry, Hungarian Wax and Anaheim Chili. I've used out of it last year, so no way of knowing what's left in there, but you're welcome to it. I also have habanero, Long Cayenne or Thai Hot.

o

Vickie, if you can find an extra little piece of Dr. Moy ginger I'd love that. I think it would rate more than bulbifer seeds though, so I'll bring you a bulbil and also a corm from A. konjac. Both are showing growth points but haven't been planted yet. My big konjac bloomed for me this year for the first time, and it really does smell as bad as they say. The bulbifer inflorescence doesn't smell much at all, at least it doesn't waft through the garden.

o

Ferndotter/Dawn, I have Zephirine Drouhin 1868, I can take cuttings from. She's blooming and heavenly!

o

alicia, hahahahahahahaha, what color would you like? right now, with all the little bulblets coming up, I can't guarantee the color, but if you'll let me know what you're looking for, I'll try to dig around the mama's of the same color.

Karen, I'll try to see what I can find of the Dr Moy, right now, it hasn't taken off like the butterfly and Elizabeth gingers, but it is green. I'll dig around and see what I can find because I have another trade with that in mind, too. I'll look forward to both of the amorphs.

Thanks,
Vickie

o

Thanks Alicia!
Vickie I'll save you a pot of the phlox. I'll take lily babies unless they are tiger lilies (only because I already have so many) but you can still have the phlox. -Ais.

o
RE: WANTED3: Continued 2:Special Trades for Raleigh Swap

Ais, they're not tiger lilies. :-) they're oriental, asiatic, LA, etc. I'm pulling babies out everywhere. I'll try to keep colors sorted. Phew!

Man, I love trading!

Thanks,
Vickie

o

ais, do you still have some of the white phlox? i have some 4 packs of the blue phlox & i don't have any white. bring the water lilies. i have that one, and it blooms decent in the shade, unlike most of them. they do't get outrageously big in the shade. if you can't find another home, i have a friend who has a pond i can probably pass them along to.

vickie, if you can't get dr. moy, don't worry. if you can, great. i'll have to look up the rootbeer plant- sounds intriguing!

karen, i would love some bulbifer seed. i have 1 plant, but it's not set seed or babies. what can i get you in trade? i have a couple baby arum italicums if that'd interest you.

tanya, i would love some of the apple pie jam. my son LOVES apple pie. i make apple butter, so he eats that, but i know he'd adore the jam. thanks!

arwen, so glad to hear you're coming & yo mamma too!

ferndotter, please let me know which, if any, cuttings of roses you want me to bring. thanks.

tam

o

vickie, the gal who gave me the giant alliums didn't want anything, but there are still too many for me to plant! so i'll bring them, and i'll have to mark some specially for you. how many root beer plants are you bringing? i'll definitely be on the lookout for one, and i might even ask you to set one aside for the alliums.

tami, i may have whined too soon about the diascas and blue star creeper -- my second seeding of diascas has sprouted quite nicely, though i'm not ready to move them from the protected seedhouse to the slightly shaded hardening spot. and the 2 blue star creeper starts that were in the seedhouse are doing really well. i just am hoping that they make it through light hardening. (the seedhouse "flaps" have been open so the wind can go through, but i still don't think it's the same as being outside)
oooh, i hope the hardening seedlings are ok despite the rain last night... i didn't check on my way out this morning...
(isn't this fun??! )

arwen

o

Tammy, is that blue phlox the Wood Phlox?

o

To all who have requested a trade of the tubular hens and chicks- they are small, but they are rooted well now. The jackmanni clematis has not fared as well, only one seems to have taken. The bleeding hearts have done real well also. So, here is my trade list as I have it- please correct me if I am wrong.
Brenda -give hens and chicks for fox glove
hollyclyff-give hens and chicks for bengal tiger canna
ratgirl- give hens and chicks for castor bean and forsythia
dtp- would you like a nelly moser clematis instead of the jackmanni?( It blooms twice a season with large flowers?)for rice paper plant.
Nancedar-give hens and chicks and jackmanni clematis for iris's.
Tam-give hens and chicks for- don't know yet !!!
I also may have some mortgage lifter tomatoes and some california wonder peppers.And some red hot poker started from seed.Also some goose gourds started.

Geez can you tell I am new at this.....and working with a finicky computer.....

o

Brenda, I think it was you that mentioned you wanted some Bunny Tail Grass? If so, I had some old seed I threw in a pot and some of it has come up. If you still want some I'll scoop a few of them out for you. Won't be much, but should be enough to get some fresh seed off of. I don't need anything else, they're yours for the asking. PLMK...

o

Tammy, I will trade some of the white phlox with you for the blue. I may dig up more for the general swap as well but no promises. Gotta keep enough for myself too :) -Ais.

o

Vicki,
I was just curious. I'll take anything you've got. :)

o

Hi there,
Tamelask, I would be delighted to have cuttings of fantin latour, rosette delizy,red cascade, pink pillar and that crazy mermaid. Thank you.
Rootdigger, I would also be delighted with some Zephirine. She is so lovely. I have a lot of cuttings coming from some rose friend of before the move. Should have lots of interesting rose to bring next year.
Thanks!
Dawn

o

new2carolina, the nellie moser will be just fine.

thanks,

vickie

Here's my listing - once again, if I've missed anyone, please don't forget to let me know.

So far, here's my list:
*Brenda, I have Rice Paper Plant, Obedient Plant (pink and white), and some lilies for 2 Hydrangea maculata and a Japanese Apricot and a Furman Salvia.
*Tamelask, I have 2 Rice Paper Plants, Hens and Chicks, Dr Moy ginger for Ice plant, cross vine, Marion Stewart and butterfly pea.
* Shari, I have Rice Paper plant for catanache seedlings and some annual ice plant.
* Lynneefan, I have Hens and Chicks and ginger
*tie-tie, am I bringing you butterfly ginger?
*Ralph, Toadlily 'Samurai', rooted cutting of Brug 'Chas Grimaldi', a Stokes Aster, a lantana or two and throw in some Artemesia 'Limelight' and Salvia 'Black and Blue' for Rice Paper Plant, Soloman's Seal, and an assortment of daylilies and cannas.
*Dana, Marlette Muscadine Wine for Phlox.
*Nancedar, 'Champagne Taste', 'Sovereign Queen', most 'specially 'Valley Monster' and hens and chicks for Ed Brown, Paper Butterfly and H. citrina
*Arwenlurks, butterfly ginger for limelight artemisia & giant alliums
*New2carolina, rice paper plant, for nellie moser clematis.
*Ratgirl, could I get a couple of Castor bean starts? What would you like from me?
*Aisgecko, heucheras - both and lily bulblets, Black and Blue Salvias & 'Black Barlow' seedlings and woodland phlox.
*Shannon Variegated Solomon's seal and some dark purple bearded irises. for Clematis "Radar Love" and Bonfire "Dracula's Blood"
*dellare, cat's whiskers in exchange for rice paper plant
*alicia, woodland phlox for lilies
*karen__w, Dr Moy, for Amorphs bulbifer and konjac

o

Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 16:41

rootdigger, I'll bring you San Marazano tomatoes for a butterfly ginger

Vicki, I'll bring you strawberry jam and ice plant for butterfly ginger

tamelask, I'll bring you apple pie jam & the recipe for it for a flowering quince. I'd be interested in some tiny itty bitty arum italicum if you have any extra. Let me know what I can bring.

new2nocarolina, I'd like to trade for some of your peppers, mine have refused to sprout so far. Check out my page and let me know what I can bring you.

tanya

o
my page is updated

Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 16:52

I've updated my page with my special trades, please let me know if I've forgotten something.

Arwen, I'd be interested in a giant allium if you have enough.

Tanya

o

arwen, glad to hear all is going well with the star creeper & diascia. if they aren't quite hardened off, i can keep them on my porch til they are. i need to dump water out of flats, too, but it's still raining. not that i'm whining about that!

new2nc, please let me give you something for your cool hen & chicks. if you don't figure out beforehand, i'll give you first dibs on my genera swap stuff.

ais, yes it is woodland phlox- the wonderfully fragrant stuff. i can spare a 4 pack, and they've been holding for a while, so they are sparse on top, but have good roots under them. i completely understand if you don't have enough of the white- i hoarde my blue. i'm always hesitant to bring up a plant if i don't have enough to share more than 1. don't dig any if it means you're cutting your stash close- we'll do it later. just let me know either way.

ferndottar, i'll be happy to bring you those varieties. i don't know how well they'll root, as i said before, i'm used to rooting in june after they bloom & using the branches that just bloomed. so i guess i'd cut the same ones, just with buds or blooms? i probably only have enough rozette for 1 cutting; she's still small. the others will be no problem.

tanya, thanks much for the recipe as well as the jam. keegan will be sure to thank you! i'll pop a couple arums in with your quince if i have extra. thanks, tam

o

Bmaxx: My emerging bengal cannas are showing signs of a virus and I don't want to risk spreading anything. So I'll find a horsetail division or sub something else if you like.

Vickie: I don't need anything for the castor bean seedlings. If you feel you must, just surprise me! I think I'll be hauling enough stuff back as it is. :)

o

Tammy, I'm sure I can trade. I had already dug 3 pots and you're the 3rd to ask so it's yours.
I like to save at least one of everything for the general swap if I can. I actually have a good bit of it so I'll probably make some small pots for the general swap, but I'm not taking too much because I like the look en masse ;) -Ais.

o

Tammy, if you have any more blue phlox I would love that. If not don't worry. I'll bring you seed and a bulbil, and I'll see if I have another konjac corm, too. I'm happy to find good homes for them.

o

karen, i can spare some more phlox for the bulbifer. yay! konjac would be cool, but i'll be sure to site it a ways away!! :)

ais, i'm like you, i prefer phlox in a drift, and am reluctant to part with it. it's spreading happily in one area, though, so i guess i'll have more come fall for that swap, too. i shouldn't be so greedy. my garden mentor has a huge area of it with aquilegia candensis dancing magically over top. heavenly! that's actually where the 4 packs came from. she knew i loved it and had been saving it for me, unbeknownst to me. glad it's making more than just me happy. :)

if we keep going at this rate, we'll hit 150 again!! that's got to be some sort of record. i didn't think this thread would get anywhere close but i'm beginning to wonder. tam

o

Deb, I appreciate the offer but I think I'll pass. I'll pick up a couple of plants at the local nursery. We love the really hot peppers but they can only be used in such small doses. The japs we'll eat fresh.

o

Shari, someone may bring some to the general swap. I kept a jalapeno in a large bucket for several years. Just wintered it under the house. It was always late coming back, but it gave us scads of peppers.

Ferndottar, I'm new to rose cuttings (last year was my first year with roses), but I did some googling on it and think I can manage it (cut the ones that have already bloomed). Hope they do well for you.

o

Well, everything looks good depite hail again (not complaining, at least it's precip), including Ais's sourwood and Deb's sassafras. One of Nancy's redbuds went to plant heaven, and Tammy's Pennywort and Ais's Puttyroot are going dormant - but they're there, I promise, my ones in the ground are also fading. The putty root may even put up a bloom if I haven't stressed it too much. Deb, are we also doing ginger for Furman? I'm diggingin the logged wasteland after the rain stops today, so last call for natives if you want 'em. I should have 2-3 pots of bloodroot for general swap.

o

Karen I will be bringing a green, white and possibly Little Nicki nicotiana to the swap. I wintersowed it fairly heavily (okay really heavily) so it can be divided and spread out (among gardeners or over a garden). Just catch me in the parking lot, I have 2 containers of the green so one for you and one for the plant tables. I'm not sure how many containers I have of the white but I can always subdivide the jugs if need be. I'm too disorganized at this moment to be concerned about a trade LOL. I'll be driving a burgandy Pacifica and I'll probably be pulling in at the last minute because I always take the wrong way on the beltline. Shannon

o

I'm bringing for the general swap:
1 burgundy pineapple lily. I was digging and cut the bulb, but the crown is intact and it looks no worse for the wear. It's been in it's little pot for over a week now with no signs of stress.
Lots of Money plant.
Lots of evening primrose
lots of obedient plant
some lilies
cannas
sedums
and anything else I can dig and pot up this evening or tomorrow afternoon.

See you guys Saturday! I'm bringing a friend and a newbie so you guys be gentle with her. LOL
Vickie

o

shannon, don't forget to set aside a green nico for me, too, please. we were swapping the green nico & chocolate rud for pink physostegia & some evergreen ginger (hexastylis). liv will be doing 'fashion parade' today to find the too small stuff for your daughter too.

brenda, i'm glad you mentioned your puttyroots are going dormant, b/c the one you gave me is, and i was afraid maybe i'd over or underwatered it. my cranesflies are starting to turn so i wasn't too concerned, just a little.

shari, i've kept peppers going in a pot & overwintering in the basement for 3-4 yrs at a stretch. it's nice if you only want a couple, esp hard to find varieties, b/c you've already got the plant ea yr & it's ready to go.

fern, as i mentioned, my roses won't have already bloomed wood on them as they're going gangbusters now, but i'll bring some stuff i think will work. if they don't take you can always visit in june & get more.

vickie, it sounds like your newbie friend will have lots of company this swap, judging from the newbies thread. i'm hoping a freind can come, too. but she won't know til the last moment. maybe we should make them wear funny hats or something... hee hee hee, only kidding. tam

o

Brenda, it's up to you. I'll bring you WB-Ginger regardless, if you want it. If you have some furman's fine, if not that's not a problem. I have plenty of the WB-Ginger.

o

I already had a Furman with your name on it, Deb. I grew the bunnytail grass from seed this year for my stepdaughter (loves anything "bunny"), so I'm set on that.

o

I was out there seeing what I want to pack up and found a few more items to bring. A tray of datura seedlings(aka: Devil's Trumpet, Horn of Plenty), some Veronica spicata, Blue Charm seedlings, and some Verbena bonariensis. Anybody want to reserve some. These are all small seedlings in paper cups.

o

Robin, are we still trading? It was for tiger lilies and possibly a toad lily. You never said what you would like from me or if you had enough of the toad lily. Or at least I missed it if you did.
Dana

o

Thanks for the Furman's Brenda, I must have missed the post about it.

Well is everyone ready? Still need to pot up a couple things, but most of it is done and then decided to dig a few more things for the gen swap that has finally come up.

o

Hi Dana: Yes, I have you down for the Heaven's Gate Toad Lily and a Tiger Lily. I think I might not have been able to find your trade list. I'm not worried about it though. I'm sure you will bring something I will like. I have your stuff saved.

I'll swing back through the thread and see if I can find your trade list.

o

check, alliums for vickie and tanya. and some for cindy-in-the-other-thread-for-starting-a-new-garden.

i *know* i missed somebody way up in the posts there, or forgot to write something down. grrr, i can't keep up!

;)

stopped raining up here in north durham now. ho-hum.

arwen

o

Robin - just click on "my page" and go to my trade list there. I never posted a separate trade list for the swap. There may be some things on my main trade list that I don't have at the moment, but I think most of them I do. I'm not planning to bring all of them for the general swap though. I don't have time to pot up everything I have, so if there's something you see that you want let me know so I can dig it tomorrow if I haven't already. Off the top of my head, the things I know I'm bringing are -
cannas - different varieties
epimediums
callicarpa dichotoma
hydrangea arborescens
pink oxalis
chives
daylily 'Fairy Tale Pink'
verbena bonariensis
pardancanda seedlings
marsh mallow
helianthus 'Lemon Queen'
maple leaf viburnum
some other native viburnum
sedum 'Autumn Joy'
sedum 'Autumn Fire'
sedum 'Blue Spruce'
tovara
stevia
veronica 'Georgia Blue'
I know I'm leaving something out and I may feel inspired to dig a few more tomorrow when I'm digging the cannas. Just because it's not listed here doesn't mean I can't get it for you.
Oh, and just to make sure - your tiger lilies are the ones that grow from a bulb and not the orange daylilies aren't they? I know some people refer to the orange daylilies as tiger lilies. I just thought about that. Not that I don't like the daylilies, but I already have a ton of those.
Dana

o

Awww, Dana, now you've done it. OK, can you bring a hydrangea arborescens for me? Or maybe a callicarpa dichotoma? Sigh, what else can I bring you? I already have a fan of Marlette Muscadine Wine dug for you. I think I'm done and then you post all that good stuff. LOL

Thanks,
Vickie

o

I'm really not quite sure what all I've dug to bring, but I think this covers most of it. Only one of some things unless I get a burst of energy tomorrow that coincides with both daylight and being at home.

Lonicera nitida Baggesens Gold, Phlox pilosa, Rudbeckia maxima, Orostachys erubescens and imbricata, Hypericum galioides Brodie, Salvias viscoa, puberala, koyame, nubicola, and forskaohlei, seedlings from Helleboreus foetidus and H. argutifolius, Cypella coelestis, Iris fulva, a purple unnamed Louisiana iris, Indigofera amblyantha, Tinantia pringlei, Gladiolus gandavensis Boone, Ipheion uniflorum, Vernonia glauca, Geranium Karmina, Amsonia hubrechtii, Amsonia taebermontana, Aster divericatus, Aster Jin Dai, Kalimeris pinnatifida, Patrinia scabiosifolia, Alstroemeria psitticina, Euphorbia Golden Turm, Ruellia humilis, Spirea Beryl Road, Thuja Sherwood Frost, assorted sedums, Cuphea glutinosa, Phalaris Feeseys Form, Dianella Gold Stripe, Stachys monieri, Talinum calycinum. Dianthus japonicus.

And the parking lot trades:
For Vickie: Amorphophallus konjac and bulbifer for Dr. Moy
For Tammy: Amorphophallus konjac and bulbifer for blue phlox
For Shannon: ?? for green and white Nicotiana (I don't think we decided what I'll bring you in return yet)
For Brenda: Lonicera fragrantissima (winter honeysuckle) and seedlings or cuttings from Salvia El Cielo Blue (probably May will be better for cuttings from the salvias)

o

Dana,

I would love to trade some stella d-ora daylilies for some of your 'Fairy Tale Pink' daylilies.
(would not mind getting a small hydrangea arborescens either :-)
Please check my trade page and see if I have something you would like?
Thanks! Jean

o

Seems like lots of us are bringing verbena-on-a-stick, so I think I'll leave mine at home and dig some Hydrangea today instead for the general swap. Karen, I would love some Talinum calycinum! Wish I'd rooted more than 7 of the Furman Salvia, because I hate for anyone who would like some not to have plenty. I'm going to put lots more in to root now and bring loads of blooming pots to the fall swap. Also, my Furman has been naughty with the Lipstick in the bed beside him - figures! So I have a big hybrid baby with larger red blooms, rounder, shinier leaves, and somewhere between upright Furman and sprawling Lipstick. I'll bring cuttings for anyone who wants it now and root lots for the fall swap, because this looks like my new soap-box favorite, though it is a love-child-with-no-name. Dana, what's your native viburnum? I have rafinesquianum and acerfolium, and I'm looking for other natives. I'm going to try to arrive early.

o

Karen - is there anything I can tempt you with for the salvia koyame?

Brenda - I have no idea what the viburnum is. I know it's not acerfolium. I looked up the other one and it may be that one, but I'm not sure. Maybe you can id it for me? I may go out this afternoon and look around. There are several different kinds in my woods I believe.

Jean and Vickie - I really didn't see anything else I can use on either list (I have plenty of Stellas), but I am bringing two of the hydrangeas and I'll look to see if I can get more.
Dana

o

Dana you are bringing some great plants. I would love to have a fan of your fairy tale pink daylily, a bit of epimedium, and also veronica. If you like veronicas, would you like one of my Blue Charm Veronicas? (veronica spicata)? Thanks for being patient with the newbee and putting the plant list in the thread.

Robin

o

Are these swaps at 11 or any particular time?

o

Question for all of you. I have a friend that would dearly love to have a Sargent's Weeping Hemlock (but not the canadian hemlock). Would anyone happen to have a small one of these that they want to get rid of?

Thanks,
Vickie

o

Dana, I can always be tempted. I'd love a start from your Colocasia 'Fontanesii' if you have it available. Also interested in Stevia and pardancanda seedlings. I checked your wish list and can probably dig you a rhizome of Iris foetidissima to go with the salvia, that is if you're still looking for it.

Brenda, I've got you down for the Talinum, and Carla for the Gladiolus.

o
RE: WANTED: _Continued 2:Special Trades for Raleigh Swap

Forgot to ask, if I bring begonia cuttings, would anybody want them? I think I've saturated the folks at work. Also, how early do people come to make the parking lot handoffs?

o

I'm hoping to be there at 10:45 or at least no later than 11. I figure I will try to search everybody out in the parking lot for the special trades inbetween lugging stuff up to the swap(or maybe we can designate a special trades corner). It's a little confusing trying to find a bunch of people you don't know so I try to get a nametag on quickly. See you all soon! -Ais.

o

Karen, Yes I am still looking for the iris. I would love to trade for that too! I definitely can trade the stevia and the pardancanda since I already have those potted up. I'll check to see if the colocasia is up yet. It's sometimes slow, but since it's been so warm, it might be early this year. Thanks,
Dana

o

Jean, I have a tiarella for you. I would love some burgundy glow ajuga or snow queen salvia, if you are bringing?

o

Karen - The colocasia is just starting to come up, so I was able to get a small piece of it.
Dana

o

Brenda,
Hi! I would rather have Hydrangea maculata - do you have any of that left? would really LOVE that!! (or even the nikko blue?) The tiarella would be great, too - do you know the variety?
I will bring you both the burgundy glow ajuga and snow queen salvia!
Jean

o

Fri, Apr 28, 06 at 14:55

My amaryllis is blooming. I have a few for the swap, but not sure if I should dig them up. I tend to think no, what do you think?

Thanks,
Jeanne

o

Dana,
Do you happen to have another small start of colocasia for me? Thanks in advance, either way!
Jean

o

Jeanne, I've brought home amaryllis from former spring swaps and they kept right on going and bloomed for me. If it's going to damage yours though just wait til fall.

o

OK I swore I was gonna stop, but ....

Arwen: Are all the giant alliums spoken for? (Don't sell anyone short on my account though, please!) If not, lemme know if you want to do an extra trade (I've got you down already for B&B salvia for ice plant).

o

Jean, I am bringing a couple of EE if Dana doesn't have more!

o

bmaxx, are you Ralph? (ralphw)(ralphwhisnant)?
:-)
Jean

o

Shannon /dirtrx,

Shannon, tell me (*quick* lol), am I bringing you something? (Besides a big smile?)
thanks!
jean

o

Jean, I tagged a macualta for you. Out of time now for me, folks!

o

Fri, Apr 28, 06 at 19:19

Thanks Dana, I'll try it.

o

All labeled and loaded. I'm bringing the begonias whether you all want them or not. Don't look too closely at your special trades, cause they may be hidden in there.

o

I'd gladly take a begonia.

o

Fri, Apr 28, 06 at 21:28

Me too

o

JNHidden, no, I'm Bess. My motorcycle's name is Maxx. Hence B-MAXX..I need a new web name...but can't think of a good one.

OK...I have potted, a few glads, a few iris, EE for Nancy and Jean, Blazing star for RatG...lotsa hosta and several Daylily...a coupla Rose of SHaron, and a bunch of coreposis. OHH....and a little-bitty pot of Cleome (spelling?) seedlings. AND...I'm a newbie! :)

SEEYA'LL Tomorrow!

o

Loaded and ready to roll. Actually had to leave some things due to running out of room. Will just add them to the fall stuff to bring.

ARE WE EXCITED YET!!

o

Wooo hooo~ yes, that is! :-)
Could you hear all the enthusiasm in my text?!

It is going to be a mad house, isn't it?
JEAN

o

bmaxx - you didn't tell me what you would like for trading for your EE so you'll have to find me by the curb and pick out something from the open swap goodies I'm bringing. And, thanks ever so.

Newbies - looking forward to meeting all of you and getting you addicted. HehHehHeh.

Nancy the nancedar

o

Jean we are good! Its all about the Kharma.
Tamelask we are set. I set your plants aside early on :)!
Carla/Ratgirl- Thanks for the early trade. Absolutely loved your garden. You inspried me alot. After seeing your garden I wish I hadn't finished my last bed. Its crying out for a small berm. I loved the way your garden had vignettes. It reminded me of a Charleston garden.
See everyone on Saturday. Got the dessert made. Shannon/Dirtrx

o

**blushing and tearing up** Thanks for all the sweet words Shannon. Those folks in Charleston must be loons too! To think I could inspire someone. Those things you call vignettes must just be plants surrounding places where mulch is showing (and you know what Nancy said ... "If you can see mulch you don't have enough plants!") Oh, you forgot your coreopsis and hardy begonia. I've got 'em in the car for you.
OK, but here's the thing: I've lost it. I filled up the car this afternoon, then realized I barely had a spot for Ian (DH) to sit. Then I looked around and saw three flats yet to load and remembered, Yikes! I still have to fit 6 gallons of tea in there somewhere. So, well, we'll be bringing two cars. LOL.
See y'all there ....

o

I have my son-in-law's pickup loaded to the gills. Just barely enough room for my wife and the big cooler (salad - lettuce is from our garden). The only thing missing is Tanya's Flowering Quince, and we will deliver it somehow another day. See you-all in the parking lot in about 9 hours!

o

rootdigger,
Can't you tie the extras to the roof and hang them out the window?
hahahaha
jean

o

Arwen, I would take an allium, if you have an extra available.
karen__w, I will gladly take a begonia or two :-)
tamelask(Tam): I would love rose cuttings of: veilchenblau, osette Delizy and fantin latour, if available.
ferndottar(Dawn), I would try a Jack in the Pulpit, if still available.
Brenda, since you said you had plenty, I'd gladly take one of the Japanese Apricot trees
thripmaster, I would not mind at all if you were able to reserve a small cup of the Veronica spicata 'Blue Charm' (Spiked Speedwell)following for me, if still available.
Bmaxx, would love some glads...
Ais, I just read that you wanted a sourwood to attrack birds - don't have that, but I have Ratibida pinnata (prairie coneflower) that birds love; do you want me to bring you one?
Thanks everyone,
Jean (jnhidden)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here