Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idic

WANTED: Help in starting over

idic
17 years ago

Hi all,

It's been a long three years since we sold our house and I had to abandon my lovely gardens. Even sadder is having driven past the old place the following year to discover that the new owners had tilled in ALL of the flower beds and planted nothing but boxwoods against the entire foundation. I cried for days. Enough of my sad story. . .

We have a New Home to move into at the end of the month and I get to start over! Anyone who might be interested in a trade for postage or if you are in the Concord area maybe a cool drink and some fresh cookies :-). I could really use some help, all I have to start out is a pot of Purple Heart and a single Shasta Daisy.

the landscaping is rather poor since it is all so new but I just canÂt wait to get on my knees and start to dig! Most of the work will be in soil enrichment but I think my heart will break if I don't get a few things in the ground.

Comments (15)

• tietie
    17 years ago

have you checked out the Raleigh swap? Its a bit of a drive for you, but I know many people drive that far or further to come. Check out the thread here on the exchange forum and the food thread on the conversation forum.

• idic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

tietie,
    Thanks,I would love to but the big problem is I can't drive, I'm legialy blind. That's why I fell in love with the exchange years ago.
    Cindy

• aisgecko
    17 years ago

Cindy, what a shame losing your garden and having it replaced with BOXWOODS!!! Talk about adding insult to injury! Too bad you can't make it to the Raleigh swap. I know I will have stuff I can send for postage but I have to wait until after the swap to send it because I get scatterbrained. Here's what I can easily spare:
    japanese anemone
    acanthus 'summer beauty'
    creeping jenny (aggressive)
    ajuga (aggressive)
    variegated monkey grass
    coneflowers
    black eyed susans
    small purple irises
    tiger lilies
    verbena bonariensis

If any of these spark your interest let me know. I think I would be heartbroken if I ever had to move and leave my garden. -Ais.

• idic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Ais!
    Anything you can send would be wonderful! After the swap is fine with me. We don't close until the end of the month and there will be the dreaded *unpacking* task LOL.
    I'll keep in touch and send you out what ever you think postage would be.
    Doing a HAPPY DANCE!
    Cindy

• arwenlurks
    17 years ago

is anybody coming to the swap from concord? that's near charlotte, right? maybe we could send "extras" and "leftovers" and "oops, i brought too many's" or "maybe i don't *need* 6 seedlings of this plant today" bits thataway as stowaways with someone?

otherwise maybe i'll catch ais at the swap and drop in a couple irises & glads (i'm horrible at mailing things).

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Cindy,
    What are your "wants"? There's nothing on your list - go ahead and let us know what you'd like so we can get them to you. I'm in Hickory and could drive down sometime with some goodies. . .Rosemary

• idic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gosh, This is why I fell in love with GW years ago. . .

You all are amazing! I canÂt say I really have anything that I desperately want at the moment. I think to start I will be better off sticking to the most tolerant of plants and bulbs since I havenÂt done any soil amendments - compost takes a while to cook LOL.
    From what IÂve seen so far the lot has both sun and shade and what is looking like a really nice spot for a shade/water garden in the back yard.. The front has mostly sun except for the entry walk, which has BOXWOODS as the only bedding plant with about 6 inches of pine straw. One sickly tree in the middle of the front yard (I promise to post pictures after we move in)
    My first thought was to extend the front bed with some lilies and maybe some Becky and black eyed Susan. Iris and Glads would be great there too. Then lower with some phlox or other creeper like the Purple Heart maybe ice plant,creeping jenny or even vinca.
    I promise to work on my trade list this weekend. I just gathered some Crape Myrtle seeds at work but I admit that I am not sure how to sow them or even tell if they are viable.
    I do have a few well rooted starts of Arrowhead if anyone is interested.
    Thank you all for the amazing generosity.
    Cindy

• disgett
    17 years ago

Cindy I live in Florence SC but I could send you some small Rose of Sharon at least. Maybe by next month I will know more of what I have extra. I am redoing beds and extending some things. I am a 6 year ovarian cancer survivor and this year I am working on my neglected flower beds---Dale

• keithrnjd
    17 years ago

Hi, Cindy!

I have some perennial sunflower (helianthus 'Lemon Queen'), some yellow canna and some Iris I can send. Please send me your address.

Sally

• idic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi All,
    Sorry I haven't posted - Things here have been more then a little insane! Our Closing date is up in the air and we're packed with no place to go (Until we get the closing date set) IÂve e mailed each of you personally but wanted to post too.
    I'll be off line during and for a few days after the move (when ever that will be) LOL
    Thanks for all of your support,
    Cindy

• sunshinysmile
    17 years ago

Send me an email...I overbought some bulbs and would love to share! I am in Winston-Salem...

Mia

• arwenlurks
    17 years ago

Mia, if you don't hear from Cindy and are ready to send bulbs then shoot me an email, I will send you her # so you can get in touch.

Arwen

• sunshinysmile
    17 years ago

Thansks Arwen...I will give her till Wednesday. I am swamped too! :)

Mia

• dtpforu
    17 years ago

Cindy, I live in Winston Salem, and occasionally will go down to Charlotte. I could bring you some things, also. when your email gets back up, send me a line and we'll see what we can work out.

thanks,

vickie

• squirrelspur
    17 years ago

Hi:
    I've some native ferns and coral bells for shade, lmk if you are interested.
    Karen

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?