Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Triad Spring Plant Swap 2008! Oak Hollow Park

rootdiggernc
16 years ago

OK, I'm excited now!! It's time for our 2nd Spring Swap!

What: The 2nd Annual Spring Swap for the Greensboro/High Point and surrounding areas

Where: Oak Hollow Park - Shelter #1 (directions below)

When: April 26, 2008

What time : The shelter is ours from 11 to 3. We can get there earlier and I'd like to suggest a 10:30 set up time and we'll start the swapping at 11:30.

Pot Luck following the Swap! The shelter does have electric if anything needs to be plugged in. We'll provide the paper plates, plastic ware, cups and ice, plus whatever else I come up with between now and then.

Remember to keep special swap items in the parking lot, so they don't get mixed up with the general swap.

You may also bring any garden magazines, nursery pots or anything garden related for the general swap.

Now for the directions!

From east of Greensboro take I-40 west to exit number 210 which is the High Point/PTI Airport exit. Turn left going towards High Point (not towards the airport). Turn right if you're coming from west of Greensboro. This is Hwy 68. It's 5 miles from the exit to the park. You'll see the Drexel Heritage Furniture building on your right and the very next drive/road is it. There's a Law office (Wyatt, Early, Harris and Wheeler) right across the road from it. If you see the sign for the Jesse Haywood Washburn Memorial Dam then you've just passed it. There is a second entrance just past that sign but it takes you to another part of the park..

Once you've found the entrance there are only 2 shelters in this area and we're in #1. This is part of the Oak Hollow Dam/Lake on Hwy 68/Eastchester in High Point (not far from the High Point Mall). If you're coming from another direction (any of the southern areas like Thomasville) let me know and I'll get you some better directions.

If you have any other questions you can post them here or contact me thru GW. Don and I are so looking forward to seeing everyone soon!!

Comments (28)

• woodsworm
    16 years ago

Thanks, Rootdigger. I plan to be there.

• Bostoncrocus_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Count me in, I will bring 2 others with me. See you there! Robin in Lewisville NC

Here is a link that might be useful: my trade list

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Woods, look forward to seeing you again!

Hey Robin, I love the forget me nots, they're so sweet and they transplanted so well.

• micronthecat
    16 years ago

Woo hoo! Count me in. Anybody interested in violets?

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey... What kind of violets? If they're house violets I have some I can give you. They need a good home. They're beautiful but I've tortured them long enough! I sure could use some chicken poo!!!!!

• squirrelspur
    16 years ago

Hi I wish I could come but again nursing school has scheduled an all day class for that very day. I've come to realize I will have no personal life until school is over.

However, many things are coming back to life including those I put in pots last year as I didn't want to plant during the drought. I will post on the board later when I have time to update my trade list and then if anyone wants to trade at my home, they can contact me.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrelspur, sorry you can't make it. I do have some plants for you from last year. Let me know when your life slows a bit and we'll get together.

• Tammy Owens
    16 years ago

Hi Y'all. I hope I can come. I may have to babysit my granddaughter though. I do have a few things I might like to trade. And I have lots of garden magazines I could trade as well. Is this rain or shine?

Tammy

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

I'm planning on coming. I'll post a list of what I'll have as soon as I figure it out.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Tammy, Yes this is rain or shine, already have the shelter reserved. Hope you can make it!

Hi V..... :)

• monisha
    16 years ago

Does anyone have any verbena to spare? Loove the way they look....

Lilca, purple, white or red all of them look so beautiful !

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If anyone has any small pots they need to get rid of I sure could use them. Anything "under" a gallon all the way down to the tiny dixie cup size!!

Hi Monisha, been looking for the hardy red myself. I might have some purple in the fall. Mine is on a north facing slope so it's kind of slow about returning.

• monisha
    15 years ago

hi rootdigger,

you've made my day ! i can always wait for them...

Have plenty of dixie cups that i have not put to good use, some may even have holes at the bottom. i'll bring them along.

• ferndottar
    15 years ago

Does anyone want us to dig rosemary plants? We have some good sized ones up in the garden. Can any of you stand any more day lilies? I think they are stella d`oro. Anyone want me to pot up some celandine, or goose necked loosestrife? Both of these are invasive.
    Rootdigger, would you like some hoyas? I think we have six kinds. I was wondering if you might be willing to trade for some epiphyte cuttings?
    We will probably bring some chili for the pot luck.
    See you all soon!
    Bob and Dawn
    PS. Carol, I will have a nice purple verbena for you.

• woodsworm
    15 years ago

Thanks, Dawn for the purple verbena.
    I need some FOXGLOVE BABIES. I have some second year plants ready to bloom, and I need a new set to get that biennial thing going.
    My modest trade list is at http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/woodsworm

See ya'll Saturday!

Here is a link that might be useful: woodsworm trade list

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I've decided on chicken soft tacos with the fixings. Just have to remember to go to the store so I can fix it!

Monisha and Carole, I'll have some purple verbena for both of you. It's pretty straggly looking. Looks like mostly last years growth, but it's green and is rooted all along the stems.

Dawn and Bob, Do I look like I need another plant addiction!! If you only knew how I've avoided hoyas!! OK, You talked me into it...hahaha. Will bring you a good mish mash of named and un-named. I have some that I discover now and then laying on the ground and I can never figure out which hybrid they come from. I just stick them in a pot with something else and they grow, so any of those will already be rooted. I do a have one that I just took a cutting of which produces an edible fruit (Pitaya) which I'll bring you. It hasn't yet bloomed for me, it's still a babe. Will bring some other epiphytes as well. Do you have E. strictum and the rick rack/zigzag one? I have brought them before, but not sure if you got them?

• ferndottar
    15 years ago

Hi Root,
    Wonderful!!! Yes we have the strictum and rick rack. One of the hoyas bloomed last year, the others are maybe three feet long,or longer, I`m just too frustrated to wait another year.

If you are doing the chicken taco thing do you think folks would rather I brought pies than chili?

• Tammy Owens
    15 years ago

Is there anything thats a no-no to bring to the swap? Plant wise I mean? Is this swap open just to forum members and their friends? I thought about posting about it in my mypsace garden group but I am not so sure I will. Of course I would never do that with getting a consensus from everyone here or permission from rootdigger.
    I really don't have that much to swap as I have never been to a swap before.... I have a few brug cuttings and lots of garden magazines. Maybe a few other things but thats about all.

Tammy

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dawn, I can't speak for the others but I vote lemon pie or you could just bring chili for the rest and bring me a lemon pie (lol). Not sure what kind of crowd we're going to have but I suspect that it's going to be more than we've been use to the past couple years.

Epi's cuttings will take two to three years to bloom and some longer. I have some 5+ yrs old that I'm still waiting on. I think part of the problem was not enough cool hours or light in the winter. I'm hoping we fixed that this past winter with the greenhouse.

• monisha
    15 years ago

Root , thanks a bunch ! this seems like instant gratification... i will get spoilt with you guys around!

Dawn & Bob - if you are digging up rosemary, can you please add me to the list.

all will be handsomely reciprocated with good food... any special requests - please holler ...

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    15 years ago

Monisha - your page doesnt have the "email me" link enabled, so we cannot contact you to arrange a private swap before trading starts. Let me know what you want from my trade list. Robin in Lewisville PS: the lady who lives across the street from West High School is very generous with her plants. Let me know when you'd like to go for a garden tour. You need to see her Tree Peonies! R

Here is a link that might be useful: my trade list

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    15 years ago

Does anyone have Wooly Thyme?

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tammy, There are no plant no-no's as far as I'm aware, so long as they're legal. :)

Don't worry about what you do or don't have, or how much. Just come on and plan to have a good time. No one's ever gone home empty handed with this crowd.

Umm, how big is your garden club?? LOL

• monisha
    15 years ago

robin, i have just gone in and activated my "e-mail me" link...you do not have to introduce yourself !!In the GW group you are my closest ( and the only) neighbor ! ....sometimes i wonder if my yard is ever going to look anywhere close to a fraction of yours !!

• dtpforu
    15 years ago

Um, Dawn, I need a pie. :-)

And would LOVE all the rosemary you care to give me.

Tammy, bring everyone you care to. Tell them to dig up their yards and bring it on. LOL

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone that came to the swap! Don and I had a blast and we really appreciate all the beautiful new plants we brought home!! Now I have to get busy and find homes for them all!

It looks like we had a problem with directions. Someone told us they had rerouted at least one of the exits coming from I-40 to where you wound up on Bryan Blvd. We'll be sure to correct that this fall. My apologies to anyone that ended up lost and couldn't find us.

Monisha, I still have your purple verbena. Will try to catch up with you and give that to ya.

• ferndottar
    15 years ago

Thanks again Rootdigger and Don for putting on a very nice plant swap. I always think I really don`t want anymore plants this year, then come away with a bunch of treasures.
    Also thanks to all the other folks that brought things.
    Monisha and Ravi, it was a pleasure to meet you. Hope to see you again in the fall!

Bob and Dawn

• monisha
    15 years ago

Hi All !!

We just do not know where to start.....thank you for introducing us to such a lovely circle, the great time, the fun company and needless to say the plants and all the good information that came with them.

Of course, now I know why the lemon pie is so very much in demand...it is the best i've had so far !!

root - will pick up the verbena some time soon...

bob & dawn - the turberoses have still to go in pots but do feel so rich with all the treasures we brought home !!

look forward to seeing you all soon,
    Monisha