Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

High Point Swap April 25th 2009

rootdiggernc
15 years ago

We are having the swap on April 25th... same area on the backside of Oak Hollow park as last fall. I will post more info for the new folks asap..... just got the happy news tonight that my son is now engaged (been waiting all weekend, lol) and I'm kind of too excited to get into anything else right now. Happy tears and about to bust I'm so happy for them!!

Anyway, back to the topic! Bring your seedlings, divisions, rooted cutting babies or anything else garden related and we will have the traditional covered dish. So plan to stay after the swap and get to talk all the plant speak with like minded people.

OK, gotta go call more people, cry more happy tears and bask in the wonderful glow of young love!

Comments (19)

• ferndottar
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Rootdigger,
    What would you like us to bring? (foodwise)
    That bromeliad you gave us last year is about to bloom, also the King Midas has a bud!
    Congratulation to you and your son! I hope the wife to be is as nice as he is.
    See you soon!

Dawn and Bob

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dawn, everything you make is wonderful, surprise us!! :)

I have about six epies in bud right now in the greenhouse and I expect lots more before it's over. I'm just waiting on the weather to settle into spring to start hauling stuff out.

OK, off to dig up the directions and other info..BBS!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

See, I said I'd BBS! Gotta love copy/paste, lol.
    Here's the info........

What: The Triad (High Point) Fall Swap!
    When: April 25, 2009 - Saturday
    Time: 10 am (arrive and setup)
    Where: Oak Hollow Park (directions below)
    After the Swap : Pot Luck! Please bring food and drinks to share!

Directions!

From GSO or Winston.... East and West.
    Coming from I-40 (east or west). Take the 210 exit back towards High Point (Hwy 68). It'll be a left coming from the east (to west) and a right coming from the Winston Salem area. Go 3.7 miles and turn right on Skeet Club (major intersection), If you go the wrong direction (left) there you'll be on Wendover, just turn around and go the other way. After the turn onto Skeet Club, go 2.2 miles to Waterview and take a left. Go 1.5 miles on Waterview and it dead ends into the park. The shelter will be right in front of you.

Coming from south of High Point. Take 85 'Business' towards Thomasville. The roads get really strange thru Lexington, so watch your signs close. After you get into High Point, take the 311 Bypass/Winston Salem exit. Be sure it is the Winston Salem exit, NOT the High Point exit. Go 4 miles on the 311 Bypass and take exit #23 Eastchester (Hwy 68). Turn right onto Eastchester. Go 2 miles on Eastchester and turn left onto Skeet Club Rd (major intersection). Then go 2.2 miles to Waterview and turn left on Waterview. That road goes about 1 1/2 miles and goes straight into the park. The shelter will be directly in front of you.

If anyone is real unsure about finding us or afraid they'll get lost, contact me thru email (with your GW name) and I'll give you hubbies cell # in case you get lost.

Actual address for the park is...
    1841 Eastchester Drive, High Point NC, 27262
    ...but we're on the backside of it off Waterview so that won't work for where we'll actually meet but will put you close to it if you want to mapquest it.

We have the shelter rented for 11am to 3pm, but can get there as early as we want. People usually start arriving abt 10:00 to unload/set-up and do special trades. We'll try to start the swapping about 11:00, but we do take time for questions and scoping out the eye candy before the actual swapping starts.

We have a pot luck after the swap. I'm just not sure right now what I'm bringing , but will for sure bring the paper and plastic goods (cups, napkins, plates and plastic ware) as well as something yummy... I'll post that later. The shelter has lights and we do have electrical outlets if you need to plug something in to keep it warm.

Special swap items are kept at your vehicles so they don't get mixed up with the general swap stuff.

There's a potty nearby.

We understand newbies may not have much or anything to trade, that's fine and we love to take newbies under our wings and help them get started. No one has ever gone away empty handed. If you don't have plants to bring you can still bring food for the potluck!

People always want to know what to bring? Anything garden related. I've seen seeds, yard art, garden tools, gourds, gardening mags/books, pots (a personal favorite of mine!) and more. Plants can be anything from annuals, perennials, shrubs, trees, houseplants, tropicals, herbs, edibles, natives, etc... From common stuff to the exotic, it's all good!

There is a nursery up the road that some people like to go to after wards called Nelsons. If anyone wants directions to that we can do it at the swap. We also have the Farmer's Market/Nursery an exit up (from our I-40 exit) on Sandy Ridge Road that some like to visit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• wilson1
    15 years ago

Hi Rootdigger! I am one of those newbies you are talking about and don't have much to trade. Actually, I've been gardening for years but never live anywhere long enough to learn anything. My grandson's birthday party is the 25th (can't miss that!) but I hope to be able to stay for the potluck. What time do you think that will begin/end? I can't wait to finally meet all the people whose posts I have been reading!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Wilson, sometimes we run our mouths for a bit before the swap, talking about the various plants but it really doesn't take long for the swapping once it gets rolling (maybe 30 or 40 mins)and some people start eating while some of the final swapping is finishing up. We're usually out of their before three rolls around. We can get there as early as we want (so long as the park is open) but we have to be out by 3 at the latest. Hope you can make it! :)

• wilson1
    15 years ago

I really hope I can make it - I'd like to put faces to all the names on the Carolina forum. Right now I am planning on being there. I can't wait!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Going out of town for a few days. If anyone has any questions jump in... one of the regs will answer or I will when I return. Happy Easter!

• Judy Brown
    15 years ago

Count me in I'll be there. My neighbor is also coming with plants to swap. Plantwise, I'm bringing toad lillies, spiderworts, tall purple phlox, red bee balm and whatever else I can dig up - should be plenty. I'm in need of some Trillium, Foam Flower, Terragon, & Thyme.

Foodwise, I'm bringing homemade brownines. I can't wait to meet all of you gardeners and see what wonderful plants are there! Peace, jdbheartease - aka Judy

• elaine5678
    15 years ago

This swap sounds FUNNNNN! I have a townhouse and mostly have houseplants.... is anyone else bringing houseplants? :)

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Judy... I can bring some thyme! It grows like a weed around here,... see ya there! Look forward to seeing both of you! :)

Lainey, there are a few of us that bring houseplants. I have some pretty nice jades (couple types) I'm bringing and some other pink leaved thing,... can't recall the name right now. Glad you're coming.

Dawn, I'm so glad that brom bloomed for you! It's so pretty! Thanks (on the congrats) Scott's fiance is a really kind and caring young woman. He did very well in choosing a bride and I'm thrilled to have her for a daughter!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

btt

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a mystery pink lilac. The leaves are different from the regular heart shaped lilac leaf. It is just full of blooms this year (the pics are from a previous year) and another nice thing about it is it doesn't seem to have the mildew issues as much as some other lilacs in the fall. It also blooms just a little later than the others so it extends the season a bit. Would anyone like to try rooting a cutting of it? Let me know and I'll bring some to the swap. I've been trying to remember where I got this one and I'm pretty sure I got it while on a trip to PA and Michigan a few years back.

{{gwi:550927}}

{{gwi:550928}}

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sheesh, I'm still trying to decide what to bring for the potluck! It'll be a main dish (maybe soft tacos) and I'll also bring the paper/plastic stuff, plates, cups, napkins and forks, etc.

Don't forget to bring drinks!!

I'm dealing with the tail end of a cold and some inner ear junk, but I will pull it together, lol...

• woodsworm
    15 years ago

Judy, I want to be sure to get some of your purple phlox. I can bring you some trillium cuneatum if you like. I have a shovelful of new babies.
    Carole

• Judy Brown
    15 years ago

Carol,

It's a deal. I would love some of your trilluim. I'll save a big pot of phlox for you!!! Judy

• Judy Brown
    15 years ago

Hi All,

I'm planning on bringing, heuchera chocolate/burgundy color), red bee balm, purple spiderworsts, spotted toad lillies, primula (magenta with yellow center) cordata - green leave with the red edge, cordata varigated with yellow, red and green leave, purple phlox and whatever else I can dig up.

I'm looking for hardy cyclamen, jack in the pulpit, bergenia, blackberry lily, chinese ground orchid-white, coleus orange or ruffled leave, purple coneflowers, bleeding heart and lungwort.

Let me know if you want to do some swapping before the swap.

Have a great day and looking forward to this swap.
    jdbheartease

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Judy, I would love some of your primula and some of the hib we talked about. I can bring you some thyme, and I've got to check on the cone flower, and I think I have some blackberry lily I can dig for you. Going to scope out the greenhouse on the epies now. Be back.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I do have some epies, recovering from winter neglect so they aren't real pretty right now as I let them go pretty dormant in the gh over winter, but they're rooted and healthy. Have some of the zigzag/rickrack rooted too. I also have some nice jades and some jade/Hobbit. I need to take a pic of my Hobbit Jade, it just gets prettier and prettier and I whack it back so it has a nice sturdy trunk. There are a couple very small pink syngoniums I'll bring too.

Sorry, no blackberry lilies, I think they maybe got buried under some mulch, so not sure if they'll make it back.

Had a nice surprise when I went to the gh, there's a jasmine blooming, smelled it before I saw it, Mmmm...

Better get back to it, lots to do. :)

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Food is bubbling away in the crock pots, plants are in the car (since last night), everything else is on the table and ready to go,... I'm up but not quite at'em. Hubby went to work for a bit but will be back soon and waiting on my daughter to arrive with a cake she made for us and I need some coffee (_). Are we ready to swap some plants!! See everyone there! 8^)

Sponsored