Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aisgecko

WANTED: Raleigh swap goodies???

aisgecko
17 years ago

I grabbed a few things that I'm not sure what they are. If anyone has an answer chime in so I know where to put them.

Ralph, in the box you gave me was something labeled Penstemon 'spilt milk'. Was that supposed to be mine? Well, I googled it and couldn't find a match but I suppose I should just treat it like any other penstemon? If it belongs to someone else they'd better claim it quick because once I plant it there may be no finding it again :)

Adenophor Contusa - never heard of it and can't find anything googling it. The label says it's similar to campunula. (which one? there's a gazillion campunulas) anyways, shade tolerant? aggressive?

Euphorbia? Ok these small pots of fine foliaged plants labelled euphorbia are perplexing me. They don't look like euphorbia I've seen, which isn't that many. If anyone has any idea what kind or what their growth habit is (similar to other euphorbias?)

Any help/ advice on these would be appreciated. And if anyone has their own swap mysteries to pose here, feel free.

Was great seeing you all again and meeting new people. We should all pitch in and buy John a big shiny new bell! -Ais.

Comments (14)

• tamelask
    17 years ago

i think adenophor is supposed to be adenophora, which is in the campanula family and has bell like pink flowers. very pretty and a good grab!

• shari1332
    17 years ago

Ais, I picked up the Euphorbia as well. I think amyflora brought it so i looked at BB's list. I think it is Euphorbia cyparissias.

Amy, do you remember which cultivar it is? BB lists two kinds.

• aisgecko
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, that helps a lot.
    I also picked up something with yellowish green leaves. It was labeled "lily" but the foliage looks a lot like a spiderwort. If anyone has a clue on that one let me know. If not I can just wait til it flowers. -Ais.

• Ralph Whisnant
    17 years ago

---Ais, I added this Penstemon as a bonus because I love this plant and had rooted lots of these and wanted to share them with as many as possible. Its flowers looks like the picture of 'Sour Grapes' in the link below except that in the picture the stems appear to be erect whereas our plant has more contorted stems and will sprawl over of not supported. It is evergreen whereas other Penstemon are mostly herbaceous. It is in full sun and now about 2 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter. I got the original two years ago, I think at the spring 2005 swap. Last year I got a pot of 'Sour Grapes' which had similar flowers but was more erect as in the picture in the attachment. The unknown Penstemon (I think that I imagined the name 'Spilt Milk') grew fairly large the first summer, but I do not recall its blooming until last summer. Perhaps someone can help. identify it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Flowered Penstemon

• amyflora
    17 years ago

Hey all! I didn't bring that Euphorbia, but wish I had it! And I gave the Penstemon to Adele today at BB, and wish I hadn't!! Hee, hee. IT was so great to meet everyone, and I am so thrilled with my new babies. I am the new queen of Trycirtis. I just wish they were labeled. May have to learn how to post photos and get some ids. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. I grinned all the way home as I looked back at my car-load of plants! -amy

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

Ais - whatever it is,,, there's no use crying over it!! ha ha ha - I couldn't resist.

I have seen photos of (and bought seeds for, that never germinated) an Adenophora that had pale blue pendant flowers. It was considered a tropical and not winter hardy.

There were some Artemisia's with ferny foliage in tiny pots. Maybe they were mis labeled Euphorbia.

Maybe one thing we need besides a new bell is a set of markers and blank tags so that unmarked plants can get marked before they head home. Oh, and I was hoping for a megaphone instead of a little bell. You know, one of those extra large ones like you used to see at football games... yeah, we need volume.

• dellare
    17 years ago

Hi Ralph, I brought penstemen fall, 2005, just as you described, evergreen, prolific. It roots where it rambles. I love it. Can't remember the name of it offhand but will look tomorrow. I've included a link of the two different ones I have of that type. One is a lighter pink while the other is purple. I have lots of other penstemen but they disappear by the time summer is over and then show back up in the spring. This one stays evergreen all winter. Adele

Here is a link that might be useful: penstemen

• dellare
    17 years ago

Oh brother let me try this again. I could view the picture on the preview so I don't know if its the stupid picture site or what. Adele

Here is a link that might be useful: penstemen

• tamelask
    17 years ago

it worked adele, and it's super pretty. tam

• aisgecko
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ever ready with the wit, John. (you can't see it but I'm rolling my eyes :-D ) We'll have to see about that megaphone.
    I'm thinking the adenophora must be confusa (well, I was close) and if so it should be hardy. 2 letters make all the difference when googling...
    Amy, I saw several pots of tricyrtis that looked to me like amethystina. That one has a mottled/spotted leaf (or at least the ones I have do). 'Samurai' has golden edges, 'lightning strike' is streaked and bears flowers all along the axil like 'myazaki', which is solid green. Maybe that helps. Who is the resident toad lily expert? PDN has some stunning cultivars of toad lily. I'm a big fan of plants that have everything: spread rapidly, flower in shade, require no care, pretty foliage AND nice fall flowers. What's not to love?!

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Was the adenephora in a wintersowing container ie 2 liter jug or milk jug? If so, I may have brought it. I will try and look up the info on it. I have the seed packet around here somewhere. I purchased the seed from hardyplants.com and this is my first year with it. It is known as "Lady Bells". Shannon/Dirtrx

• Ralph Whisnant
    17 years ago

Adele, thank you for the picture of the Penstemon. I looked at the pictures again in Dave's Garden website, and their version labeled 'Sour Grapes' seems to have stems that are erect compared to our version which tends to sprawl. I went to Blooms of Bressingham's web site, but again, the information provided is not enough to make a definitive guess whether the plant I have is 'Sour Grapes' or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another picture of P. 'Sour Grapes'

• dellare
    17 years ago

I looked today for tags on the penstemons but I did not find any. I remember they took the tags out cause they were throwing these two penstemons away to make room for other plants. There were alot of them and I have two beds full of um. I also googled and could not find anything that resembled them. Hopefully I will be able to make it to the fall swap and we can make it our mission to have everyone there take home a rambling penstemon. Shall we call it Ralphadellies penstemon and be done with it? Adele

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

Good God Adele - get some sleep! 0:28!!!!

I do like the way "new" plants get named here on Carolina Gardening. Out there somewhere a team of marketing pro's is laying the groundwork for next year's top ten plants - little do they know that we are way ahead of the curve.

Sponsored