Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanted: have: lots of gilbert wild hostas (100/$100 mix extras)

Posted by agathawords 7a_7b (My Page) on
Thu, May 28, 09 at 0:51

Newbie here who has ambitiously ordered the 100 hostas/$100 deal from Gilbert Wild, as recommended elsewhere on the site.

I know I'll have extras, though, and I am hoping to fill in this perennial shade garden with some ferns (any kind), lady's mantle, heuchera, ornamental grasses-- from what I hear, the standard stuff for a shade bed. It will be framed by Anabelle and variegated hydrangea. I'd also be open to suggestions-- though I am imagining a simple scheme of greens, whites, and golds.

My trade list is updated and I'd love anything on it as well. I'd be happy to send you extra hostas if you'll give me planting and/or packaging advice (Durham area)-- this is my first trade, and I want to be a good GardenWebber :)

Thanks all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: have: lots of gilbert wild hostas (100/$100 mix extr

I have some silver thyme and also, if you are interested in others not on your list, common thyme, and golden variegated thyme I can send some clumps of for you to root.

I have a ton of Hosta and nowhere to put anymore at the moment but wouldn't mind some Gardenia cuttings. I have never mailed cuttings but thotlz seems to have a good idea that sounds like it would work here:

Question about mailing cuttings

o
Meant to add...

I can also send some bleeding heart (dicentra) stem cuttings.

o

Hi aezarien!

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm so sorry I haven't checked back-- was told we'd have wi-fi on vacation but had no reliable signal. Are you still interested?

If so, I'd love the thyme clumps... if you don't have them, I can certainly still send hosta! Again, not sure what varieties they are, but I certainly have a lot.

Unfortunately, to in the interest of full disclosure, they WERE left on my porch for about 2 weeks in their paper bags and paper shreddings... as I explain in the post in the hosta forum, we had a week of heavy rains, and then went on the vacation. (We'll see if the folks in the hosta forum seem to think they're still viable.... or do you have any ideas?)

Thanks again.

o

I don't have any clumps started but it doesn't take much. They root fairly quick and easy.

And to correct my former post, it isn't variegated yellow thyme that I have, it is actually lemon thyme.

I'm actually not really too interested in Hosta at the moment. I have more of them here than I care for as it is. Most of my shade gardens are full of them and I would like to get rid of a few and replace them with other interesting things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here