Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

HAVE: Blooming Iris To Trade in Fall (digging season)

nancyofnc
17 years ago

I have photos and names of exquisite iris blooming now - TB iris (some very fragrant); germanic iris in 5 colors; I. Pseudocorus - Yellow Flag iris for ponds; dark purple blue, prolific, Siberian Iris; and 3 named Schreiner's Liliput Iris to trade for:

Uncommon perennials with yellow flowers or leaves, fairly good sized viburnum shrubs, named daylilies (not pink or red), Z7 hardy citrus, clumps of sedums, tropicals that are hardy or marginal here.

Nancy the nancedar

Comments (22)

• K
    17 years ago

Nancy, does a burgundy daylily count as red? I have one called Paul Cranberry if you're interested.
    Kitty

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well burgundy is another shade of red and not for me. I really like the screaming oranges and golds and yellows, and true purple if there is such a DL, even funky green ones.

• K
    17 years ago

Too bad. I'm looking for yellows and oranges myself, but not gold.
    Thanks anyway.
    Kitty

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Nancy?
    Will you be coming to the Triad Plant Swap in June? I have Autumn Joy Sedum avaliable if you want it, perhaps even a 2 ' snowball bush as well. I'm after as many Iris I can get my hands on.

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Can't make it to the Triad Plant Swap - graduations and birthday events crowded my June calendar. I have AJ sedum and snowball bushes - email me with other things I could be tempted by - I have lots of irises to trade, and pictures too.

Nancy the nancedar

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Okay, (when things slow down a bit) you're more than welcome to hop over and have a look-see - maybe you can find something you'd like.

• madplanter57
    17 years ago

Hi, Nancy
    I think we are neighbors! I live in Wake Forest, too. I'd love to get together and do some tradin'! I have just started collecting iris, so I'm really in the market for any I can find. I have several daylilies just about to bloom, but not sure I have any you are interested in. You are more than welcome to come over and help yourself to anything I have. Let me know if you are interested. I am on Garffe Sherron Rd.
    Hope to get together!
    Denise(madplanter57)

• madamekikia2z
    17 years ago

Hi Nancy,
    We've exchanged mail last year.
    I still have a lot of Sedum "Briliant".
    For orange/yellow perennial I have Red Hot Poker.
    I also have several gardening books for the swap.
    Do you still have Vitex?
    Kiki

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

Nancy, What do I have that you would like for an iris? I would take any color iris you think is nifty!

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

Nancy, do you think you'll have any Cornus sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire' rooted for the swap? I've got some yellow flowered perennials I could trade. Let me know, and I'll e-mail you a list of what I have.

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

To all of you on GW - I am trying to get my website up and all the photos posted properly but in the meantime if you want a particular iris I can email you with photos of what I am offering this fall.

madamkikia - I have Red-Hot Poker, a bookshelf full of gardening books, so the Sedum 'Brilliant' would be very welcomed. If you want Vitex I have medium ones and lots and lots of 2-year olds to share too at the Fall Swap. What iris were you interested in? (too fast fingers ate my saved emails so tell me again)

Brenda_near_Eno - For you I have some delicate pink border iris that don't mind some shade, and some Siberian's that work well amongst Hostas for contrasting leaf shapes. And, one of my TB irises is the same rich color as your hair so I think you'll like that one, if not, then I can share a vanilla scented plicata - white with violet edge.
    Karen_W - I have abundant propagated Cornus - no problem. Same with fast fingers so what were the irises on your wish list ?

Nancy the nancedar

• madamekikia2z
    17 years ago

Pink is my favorite color, but purple is fine too.
    I've never have Iris and don't know much about them.
    Thanks
    Kiki

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kiki - I have 1 pink and about 9 shades of purple - I'd be happy to provide an assorted lot, but I also have terra cotta, rusty orange, plicata white and purple, black, maroon, ruffled whites, yellow and white, and so on.

If you've never had Iris I am here to tell you that they are just about carefree. You can "groom" them if you wish (of dried or dying outer leaves) or ignore them depending on how close up they are viewed. Most need very good drainage (western slopes for TB's and Liliput's, any spot for border/German, but soggy lowland for Siberians - or some shade from the West, bog/pond for Flags), light waterings, hardly any food, and only get one pest that I know of - of which I have never had. You plant them with their body (rhizome) half out of the ground and most like to be baked in the sun so need no mulching but do like the Fall leaves to be removed around them if there is a wet Winter but definetly in Spring. They are wonderful as cut flowers and some are fragrant. They stay green all winter and give the best flower display in April - May. Deer will eat them - pull them out of the ground - only if there is nothing else green for them to eat - but not normally chew on them. They need to be divided and replanted every 3 to 5 yrs - in October in Z7 - you will know WHEN because they will have very few flowers in the Spring. Division is just a matter of breaking off the rhizomes without roots and planting the "fans" with fat roots. Way too easy.

Nancy the nancedar

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

Nancy, one again I am overwhelmed by your generosity and your prolific propagation propensity! But what can I bring you? What natives do you not already have? The Zizia you gave me is a knock-out! Do you already have Kirengeshoma and Leonotis?

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

B_n_E - Would love both! Kirengeshoma's leaves are a lot like my Salvia koyame but those yellow flowers spike and the K's droop - would love that combo, besides the Yellow Wax Bells would also go with my native Yellow Fairy Bells. The Leonotis seeds I gathered in New Orleans a few years ago sprouted but withered and it is too late/or early to replant the rest of the seeds - it would be appropriate to have some Leo from y'all.

Nancy the nancedar

• madamekikia2z
    17 years ago

Nancy, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

I didn't know there are so many different colors of Iris and every color sounds fabulous to me.

I am looking forward to Fall.
    Kiki

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

Nancy, don't blame your fast fingers, I didn't get a wish list to you yet. The pink border iris sounds great if you have enough, I also like irises with really saturated color and ones that have coppery and red tones like the Louisianas. For yellow flowers I've got Coreopsis major, Patrinia scabiosifolia, Hypericum galioides 'Brodie' (makes a 2-3' tall shrub), Salvia nubicola (flowers are kind of a buff yellow). I think I could also get divisions from Alstroemeria 'Sweet Laura' and Chrysanthemum 'Virginia Sunshine'. For yellow foliage I've got a dwarf bamboo that looks great in a pot and really glows in the garden. (I've haven't dared to plant it in the ground and take no responsibility for what it would do if let loose in the garden.) It came to me unlabeled from a friend but I'm pretty sure it's Pleioblastus viridistriatus. The backs of the leaves are felty and soft. There are probably other things I could dig or start cuttings of if there's nothing there you're interested in. I've got lots of different sedums, and although there's nothing I could take clumps off of (except maybe Sedum bithynicum) I could start a bunch from cuttings.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Nancy, would you be interested in Helianthus angustifolius, Maximillian sunflower, or commuter daylily (H. citrina)?

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Almost forgot, I've also got some Cassia alata seedlings and I could try to root some St. John's Wort (Hypericum frondosum) if you're interested.

• shari1332
    17 years ago

Nancy, would you be interested in a couple of fans of my Fortune's Folly daylily for one of your iris? I'd be happy with a TB, germanic or lilliput. Whatever you choose. We could swap on Sat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fortune's Folly

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

shari1332 - Yes - I'd be happy to trade for that pretty daylily with a mix of iris. I am digging today and hoping that not all the tags have been washed away with the storm's rain. See you Sat.

alicia7b - You have been so generous with me I'll bring some TB's for you on Sat.

Nancy the nancedar

• shari1332
    17 years ago

Great! Thanks Nancy.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz