Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcd_1

WANTED: Plant swap in the rock hill or charlotte area

tcd_1
17 years ago

I am a newbie and would love for there to be a plant swap in the rock hill or charlotte are. I have never even set one up so if you live by either of these palces and you want to try to have a plant swap let me know and i will be glad to tryand help a litte.

Comments (17)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    17 years ago

Darn, you just missed one a few weeks back in Northeast Charlotte.
    You might put up a list of some of the plants you would like and then hook up with the folks who respond.

• jankay
    17 years ago

Hi, tcd,

I'm in Fort Mill, and I have lead plant swaps before for CHOA (Charlotte Outdoor Adventures). I'll let you know when we have another. In the meantime, I'd be happy to swap with you, although I am a newbie, too. Are you looking for anything in particular? I have shasta daisies, both single and double blooming, that I would share, and some creeping jenny, and there are always four o'clocks. I've got lots of melampodium volunteers that you could have. If you like hyacinths, I've got bulbs I will give you -- I only like the grape hyacinths. You could also have a cutting of my pineapple sage -- it does really well.

Anyway, let me know if you'd like anything, and what you have to share, and maybe we can start swappin'!

Jan

• babylou
    17 years ago

ted - I paricipated in the Charlotte spring swap - only four gardners showed up, but we had fun! The great thing about the swap was that I met some wonderful gardening friends. We talked about another swap this fall -the really best time for gardeining in my opinion.

What about it seedbandit momoftwoboys and Sandy - - any interest? I'll be glad to help coordinate.

Jan - I live in Belmont, so if there is a Fort Mill swap I would love to help out.

Judy

• scgatorgal
    17 years ago

Hi -- I'm a newbie, too, but always looking for more plants!
    We're in York.
    I have tons of daylilies, cannas, probably some columbine seedlings coming up...lots of basil right now, too.
    Thanks!
    Cheney

• momof2boys_wv
    17 years ago

Yes this fall sounds good to me. We could all meet at Sandies house. There is plenty of room and it is beautiful over there. PLus she has lots of goodies to share HEE HEE. Also babylou sandy said to come dig Daylilies let me know I will email you her number. Keep us posted. Jennifer

• homegrownsc
    17 years ago

Hi ya'll,

I couldn't make the swap a few weeks ago but would really like to be part of one this fall. Please keep me updated.

Cherie

• babylou
    17 years ago

Jennifer - I sent you an email with my phone number. Please let Sany know I would love to come dig! A fall swap at her place would be wonderful. Hope to hear from you soon, Judy

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    17 years ago

The spring swap conflicted with something else I had previously scheduled. But would love to participate in a fall swap if I have time to get some stuff started! I will probably have some extra rooted Westerland rose and some Fragrant Memory rose cuttings! Which Sandy is it? Forum name? I want to know if it the same one I know who is so generous...

Oh, I may have some custom poured step stones if anyone would be interested in those. I can send pictures of ones I have done....

• tcd_1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hi sandy. I wanted to get the plant swap going. I was wondering where you lived. Let me now if we can do it at your house because that is what somebody said. LEt me know where you live. Email me at ncstategurl_1@yahoo.com if you are intrested.

• seedbandito
    17 years ago

Now you know, if ya'll ladies get together... I'm in!!! Hadn't spotted this thread earlier as I hadn't been near the puter. My mother & brother were down from PA for an 'extended visit' and they just left yesterday.

I doubt I'll have much to trade as I've been bitten by the 'brugmansia bug' and have been consumed with them all summer long! My deck out back looks like a brug farm!! Maybe I'll have some rooted cuttings.

Mother nature hasn't been very kind this year with the rain and my gardens look pitiful. Anyhow, let me know what ya'll come up with.

Nancy

17 years ago

I am bumping this up because I don't want it to be forgotten....

• homegrownsc
    17 years ago

Anyone given this any more thought? I'm growing more and more envious of the Raleigh and Greensboro swaps.

17 years ago

Me, too. I went to the Raliegh swap last fall but the drive was so long that it was over before I got there. I would really like to go to a Swap closer to my home.

And would like to know Sandy's forum name?

• greengirl2009
    11 years ago

Disappointed to see no entries on the "Carolinas" site since '06. Let's get busy in NC/SC and make some trades...or coordinate a swap. Review my trade list and contact me if you see something of interest.
    Twyla

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

Looking to swap in rock hill area contact me, I have a lot more items not listed in my trade list.

• kaaa
    8 years ago

Anyone still active for this thread on houzz??

I'm close to RH and interested in food & medicinal plants.

• elaine5678
    8 years ago

Charlotte Fall Plant Swap, 2015
    Sunday, November 1, 3pm

Marion Diehl Park
    2219 Tyvola Road, Charlotte, NC 28210

There is only one shelter at this park. The park is connected to Queens University Sports Complex, and you can turn into the park at the Queen's entrance, or the Marion Diehl entrance.

For first time swappers - we don't care if you have weeds or high dollar orchids. If you have plants to give away and want them to go to good homes, this is the place to be. We trade anything and everything. If you don't have much, don't worry - we don't have rules about that either. Hopefully everyone will go home with more than they brought! Other gardening stuff is also welcome- pots, books, bulbs, cuttings, magazines, potting soil, tools, statues, etc. Please label your plants. Something simple like "yellow daylilies" or "cactus houseplant" or "shade ground cover". This will make it easier to know where to plant the new plants we take home. If you don't have any plants to swap, come anyway!

How it works: You show up early and place your plants in with all the other plants. You find a spot away from the shelter where you can stash the plants you grab during the swap. I will welcome everyone to the swap and ring a bell. You get to grab ONE plant and take it to your stash zone. We do this two or three times before we change it to TWO plants per ring and then THREE plants and finally we have a free-for-all where the leftovers can be claimed by anyone.

The Plant Swap is free. If you feel inclined, you may leave a small donation toward the renting of the shelter.

Questions: elaine.dickson@gmail.com

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm