Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tophersmith_gw

End of Summer Raleigh Swap Special Trades

tophersmith
15 years ago

OK ok so I figres since I missed the spring swap I would start this post 2 months early. Remember you can always trade early.

So I have Plenty of Basjoo's so anyone who got one from me last year that didn't make it through the winter be sure and speak up. I also have Musa Velutina Pink and Purple. I have Chinese yellow banana, Saba, Orinoco, Ornata, along with plenty of different types of colocasia (elephant ears). I am always looking for tropical plants so feel free to make an offer.

Comments (65)

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

Chris, I emailed you a list and I checked those daylilies I have 'Jumping Jehoshaphat' and 'Siloam Amazing Grace'..... the others I either can't read the tags or they are gone. A couple of them are hybrids that another gardenwebber crossed themselves. Another no name is a pale yellow with a burgundy eye. I don't do a lot of daylilies, but the ones I have were from people that collect them. I also have some pots of tuberoses that are growing gangbusters and some Princess Lilies. The PL's have wintered in a pot outside with no protection, so I know they are winter hardy.

• tophersmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rootdigger, I never received your emails I really like hybrids, spiders and doubles. The ones you mention 'Jumping Jehoshaphat' and 'Siloam Amazing Grace' I already have a similar one. What type of Princess lily do you have, I have 2 types but am always looking for more.
    my email is csmith@slickedit.com

• dtpforu
    15 years ago

magick,
    sounds good. little will grow. especially if I put it in the greenhouse. :-)

Thanks!

Chris,
    I still haven't gotten that list together, maybe when it cools off some. NO, I don't have either the Veluntina nor the Lasiocarpa.

Later,
    Vickie

• elaine5678
    15 years ago

Hi all!
    Are there any rumors of the date of the fall Raleigh swap yet? I'm planning a swap in Charlotte for September and would hate to miss the Raleigh swap if they're on the same day! Is it usually in October? Thanks!

-Elaine

• tamelask
    15 years ago

usually mid to late september, Lainy.

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

Swap....swap....swap....swap....Swap....swap....swap....swap....Swap....swap....swap....swap....Swap....swap....swap....swap....SWAP!
    Date.....date....date....date.....date.....date?

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

Have you ever thought you had done something and then realized that you hadn't?? oops. Guess I need to post all the info about the swap, huh!

• tamelask
    15 years ago

and we REEEEALLY need to get brenda some help..... LOL

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

Yep, I need some help. And I'm willing to trade a Rehmannia elata seedling for therapy. This plant is just the cutest sinnigia-like blossom, and reseeds all over in dappled shade, thru dry spells. You want it. I'm rooting up some Fchsia 'Sanihanf' and Salvia 'Maraschino.' What else? I have agastache 'Honeybee Blue', Prunus mume seedlings, and lots of different tiarella seedlings. The Tiarella are crosses between 'Iron Cross' (originally from Reba) and native - I get pretty color combos and leaf shapes, and all look great thru shade and dry clay. (I have baked some to death, but it isn't easy.)

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Brenda, I have some therapy I'm not using and would love to trade for Rehmannia elata. Always in the market for your tiarella seedlings too.

• keithrnjd
    15 years ago

Brenda, can I bargain for one of those Rehmannia seedlings?

I have several hardy red amaryllis, some canna Stuttgart, hardy tapioca, white Texas hibiscus, jewel of opar, and white calla. Surely you need ONE of those! ;-)

Sally

• keithrnjd
    15 years ago

I am looking for some echinacea, any color is fine, and some gaillardia as well. I also have an area that has become increasingly shady as some trees have gotten bigger, so some part-sun to shade plants would be great.

As noted above, I have several hardy red amaryllis, some canna Stuttgart, hardy tapioca, white Texas hibiscus, jewel of opar, and white calla.

Sally

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Sally, I've been looking for white Texas hibiscus. I probably have some Echinacea purpurea seedlings I can dig up, or I can find something in the shady parts of the garden you might like. I haven't had much time to think about the swap yet, but will go see what's out there next weekend.

• dtpforu
    15 years ago

I'm updating my swap list and my want list this evening. I dug out an entire bed and where I thought I might have a few hundred bulbs, I have thousands. However, my daughter's boyfriend was so kind to dig it out for me. Therefore, I have a wheelbarrow load of bulbs, and 3 - 5 gal buckets full. I know what they all are and will try to separate them, but it's bulb time with no cultivar names. I know which are daffodils (mixed cultivars), which are lycoris (all the lycoris are th radiata), I have tons of muscari (all americana - the plain purple), crocus (mixed cultivars), lilies (mixed orientals and asiatics), daylilies (mixed hybrid cultivars - no ditch lilies), etc. So, depending on if Rootdigger wants to ride with me or not, (maybe we can tone down some on the getting and split the gas costs, we can get there - root, maybe we can take Terry's truck, not as comfortable as the car, but easier on gas and more room in the back for plants - email me).
    topher, I'll still have some named daylilies for you. Do you have Lee Pickles? Mister Lucky? God is Listening? Laura Harwood? More to list later.

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Sally, I'll try to get one of my Gaillardia 'Goblin' babies up for you. They don't always make it but the plant is in an awkward place and I keep digging the new ones out(and they keep growing back,lol)

• tophersmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vickie,

Lee Pickles, I am not sure I have one that's close, I do have the rest. Lycoris radiata now your talking what type of growing conditions do you find work best for them? Count me in for some. I also love Orientals and Asiatics any idea what types you have.

Hey John do you know when the Arboretum plant giveaway is this year?

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

Sally and Karen, I have you down for Chinese Foxglove, and also Tiarella for Karen. I'd love some white Texas hibiscus, Sally. Vicki, anything you'd like to trade for either some lycoris or muscari?

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

topher - I don't think the Arb has had their big giveaway the last two years due to the drought. I could be wrong and just missed it but I remember someone saying something about not being able to propagate too much stuff because last summer they were on strict water restrictions (they are not legally considered a nursery so they had to use only handwatering and with limited volunteers it just didn't get done. I sure wish they would bring it back, it was the highlight of my summer. I'll ask around and see what I turn up.

• tophersmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

John,

I met you there last fall remember? I came away with 7 plants.

• Ralph Whisnant
    15 years ago

John and Topher, the JCRA plant giveaway this year is scheduled for Oct 11th. Last year it was the same day as our plant swap if I am not mistaken. Since the propagated plants are in pots and many are kept in the greenhouses, I believe that they are allowed to water them as needed.

• dtpforu
    15 years ago

Well, boys, what are you going to come home with? Better yet, call me while you're there and I'll tell you what to pick up for me. Hahahahahahahaha

I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to get there yet, but Brenda, I'll have some lycoris and muscari for you - Chris, I'll have some lycoris, lee pickles and some lilies for you. Sorry, don't know what they are since Jenn's boyfriend dug them up for me and didn't keep the bulbs with the labels.

• hightider
    15 years ago

ralph how did the various grases do for you this year ? your e e did great i purchased some new ones from plants delight this year some have put out pups colocasia snsulenta diamond head also purchased new varities of yucca ont that is really nice is red yucca have some pups if you intrested have a soap aloe from africa about 15 to 18 inches tall does well down here on the island very tropical zone 8 also puts out pupa have an extra wahles tonuge have some exrta yucca recurvifolia soft not sharp also some small sego palms and a new agave opal pup century plant plus some new grases and day lilies hope to get to johns swap let me know if any thing intrest you and what you have to swap

• Ralph Whisnant
    15 years ago

Hightider, the grasses are doing great and withstood last year's drought better than most things. It sounds like you have picked up some interesting stuff since the last swap that we attended together. I have been concentrating on propagating just a few things this year including fig trees (Celeste and Brown Turkey). I have a lot of rooted large flowered bi-colored Portulaca which can be wintered over with protection from freezing and a new multi-colored Tradescantia which makes a good, spreading ground cover. I have multiples of a hardy perennial Impatiens arguta, but I am not impressed with its flowers. I also have several kinds of Salvia which might tolerate your salty environment better than most. I will look around at what I have and email you further.

• keithrnjd
    15 years ago

Brenda and Karen W, I have your white hibiscus put aside. Shari, thanks, I would love the Gaillardia! What can I bring for you?

I am also looking for Gaura, more Mexican Petunia and some blood grass or other short grass that turns orange/red or bronze.

In addition to my 'haves' from an earlier post, I also have daylily Inniswood and also daylily Point of View, and canna Intrigue.

Sally

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Sally, I would love a start of Canna 'Intrigue'. I'll try to get more than one Gaillardia for you to make the trade more even.

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Sally, I should be able to get you some blood grass. I'll know for sure when I get out there this weekend.

• Ralph Whisnant
    15 years ago

Sally, I may have some Mexican Petunia in pots that you can have. I know that there are several "sprouts around the ones in the ground. How many would you like? I may still have the pink flowered ('Chi-Chi') as well as 'Purple Showers', if you are interested.

• keithrnjd
    15 years ago

Shari, sounds good.

Ralph, I would love some pink, too. I need a good sized chunk for one area I have in mind in my garden. What can I bring for you?

Sally

• tietie
    15 years ago

vickie, I would love some of your bulbs, especially the lycoris. My trade list hasn't been updated but most everything should be the same.

I also have rainbow pineapple for anyone interested.

Tanya

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Tanya- i'd love one of your pups. What can i get for you in return?

• tietie
    15 years ago

Tammy, did I see somewhere that you are growing stevia? If so, is it the variety used as a sweetener? I don't see it on your trade list, so maybe I'm confused. I'd love some of that or solidago 'fireworks'. I'll pull out my leather gloves and bring you a rainbow pineapple pup.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I'd be happy to bring you some of both. I have stevia seeds from last fall and a big plant i can most likely divide. Yes, it's the kind used as sweetener. I always have lots of the fireworks so getting some of it is no issue at all. :) My fault- i haven't updated my trade list for this fall yet. However anything that's on that bottom section i pretty much always have extras of to dig.

• shari1332
    15 years ago

topher, which Colocasias do you have to trade? I was wondering if I may have a daylily to trade you for an EE. You mentioned you like spiders and doubles- do you have a preferred color?

Shari

• tophersmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shari,

Where do you live? As I would prefer you swing by and see what I have available. Some of them I get confused on as I pay more attention to my bananas. Do you have pics of your daylily's?

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Chris- I live in Johnston County and I doubt I would be able to visit you before the swap. I would be happy with any of the colocasias with dark stems but especially the Fontanesii or black stem one.

I've put a link to my photobucket page here. There are many albums with pics of the daylilies but I would only be able to trade a few of them since I've only had most of them a year.

Here is a link that might be useful: daylily pics

• tophersmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

TriangleJohn,

I know have your pink Veluntina seeds, I will have enough for anyone else as well, just speak up.

• tophersmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shari,

I may be able to dig up some maroon stem or back magic for some Helix, just let me know which ones you would like.

• tophersmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shari,

ok both for Let it Rip and Helix

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Chris, the maroon stem for Let it Rip will be fine. I have plenty of Black Magic.

• tophersmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shari,

Ok what would you like for Helix then?

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Chris, I don't want to trade Helix since it's in the ground and hasn't increased from the double fan that I planted last Fall. It needs time to settle in before I dig it back up.

• tophersmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shari, OK I understand

To everyone else I still have Colocasia Black ruffles, Chicago Harlequin and Cranberry stem

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Topher hi again,
    What would you want in trade for any of those? I don't have everything on my page but if you will get back to me I will see what I can do.

Ok, ya'll I am as of now planning on making the trip for this one...YEHHHH...

Tammy, hint, hint..lol.

:) Fran

• tophersmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran,

Ok I am getting back to u what else do you have, also what are u looking for?

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Hey again topher, I don't know if you have these or if you'd be interested but I can offer you:
    Tropical White Canna
    Colocasia esculenta 'Nancy's Revenge'
    Colocasia Fontanesii Black Stem
    That's the only good stuff I have except for baby Mexican Bird of Paradise. They are babies really, and 1 baby Musa Zebrina.
    That's it.

• MagickMare
    15 years ago

I have several white to apricot-white potted climbing roses that need more light! These are named varieties (I'll update names on my page when I get home). I also have one more Mickey Mouse EE that I am willing to part with - 2 are already spoken for. I also have plenty of wild ginger. Let me know if anyone is interested.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I would love a Mickey Mouse EE. I will look at you page and email you with an offer.

• tophersmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Magick
    Wild Ginger? Do you have Pics?

• MagickMare
    15 years ago

Topher - I can snap a pic tomorrow after work.

NCGardenGirl - How about Mickey Mouse EE for Colocasia esculenta 'Nancy's Revenge'?

• tophersmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does anyone have any Caesalpinia Pride of Barbados they waould like to trade?

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living