Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dtpforu

HAVE: Fall Plant Swap in Forsyth County

dtpforu
14 years ago

Start potting up all those extra plants in your yard and get ready for the plant swap to be held at the Forsyth County Agriculture Building located at 1450 Fairchild Rd in Winston Salem on September 26. Bring your extra plants to swap and perhaps come away with something that you have always wanted, but never found for your own gardens.

Craig Mauney, Forsyth County Horticulture Agent, will have a list of plants considered invasive to refer to so as not to invade the neighborhood. Also, if you have a plant that you're unsure of the name, bring it on and he'll try to tentatively identify it for the trade.

This swap is open to anyone that wants to trade plants, not only to Master Gardeners, so tell your neighbors and friends. If you have a plant to swap, you can attend.

All plants should be labeled with the botanical name, common name accepted if botanical name not known. You can write on a stick or even the side of the pot as long as it's labeled.

The actual swapping will begin at 11:00AM, so get there early to set up your plants and look over all the others.

The swap will go like this:

All the plants will be put together in a designated area. At 11:00 AM, we will call out for everyone to go in and get one plant. Once everyone has gotten one plant, we'll call out for everyone to go for another. This will continue until all plants are gone or until we just can't go any more.

Thanks,

Vickie

Also, look for the annual fall plant swap in High Point tbd by rootdigger.

Comments (18)

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Forsyth County Agriculture Building is located at
    1450 Fairchild Rd
    Winston-Salem, NC 27105
    Which is off Liberty Street after you leave Highway 52N.

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Good Morning Gardeners,

PreSwap - Are you guys doing any prewapping before the swap? If so, I'm interested in unusual hostas, ferns, unusual colored daylillies (no orange) & bergenia. I have plenty toad lillies, purple siberian iris, perennial begonias & lemon balm to swap or if your looking for something in particular let me know and I'll see if I have it in my garden for swapping.

Thanks,
    jdbheartease

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    14 years ago

jdb: you have not enabled your page to allow emails. I clicked on your list and it is empty. Please update your page to allow us to contact you. Thank you. I will see you at the swap. Robin in Lewisville, NC

Here is a link that might be useful: trade list

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sure, you can do special personal swaps if you like, but those should be kept out of the general swap and done off to the side. You will need to work things out between the two of you to do so.

Thanks,

Vickie

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Hi Robin,

I've got my page update. Thanks for your help!!!!Judy

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How's everyone doing with their potting up? I've got lots of stuff rooting, we'll see how that goes. maybe i'll have a ton of different things to share.
    Vickie

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just potted up 8 rice paper plants. we'll see how they do. I've had several requests for this plant even though it travels underground quite a bit. So, if you want one, please let me know so I can put your name on it. otherwise, they're going into the open swap.
    Thanks,
    Vickie

• luciusnana
    14 years ago

Am very interested in the swap coming up but I live outside of Forsyth in Davidson. Can I still come with my extra plants.

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Yes, by all means - Come. If you've never been you'll truly enjoy it. What type of plants do you have for swapping? jdbheartease

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We've only got a little over a month before the swap. Do you all have everything potted up ready to go???? Me either! Still working on it, though.

• squirrelspur
    14 years ago

I have some things listed for both the Master Gardener's swap and the High Pt. swap on my exchange page - contact me if you are interested in something for pre-trade as I may not bring everything listed.

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Hi, I'm planning on coming to the W-S and the H.P. swap. Does anybody out there have any bergenia or perennial cycalmen for swapping. If so, let me know what your looking for and we'll do a preswap. Thanks, jdbheartease

• rootdiggernc
    14 years ago

Looks like I might be in Nashville that weekend (reception for the kids) so I don't think I'll be able to make it, hope you all have fun!! Save me something :)

• cannadoit
    14 years ago

I'd like to attend your awap. I have some goodies I can share with y'all. lol
    I'll work on my list today, perhaps I can help someone find something they have been looking for...and vice versa.
    I'd be ever so excited if I found some crocosmia. lol But, being able to spend most of a Saturday doing "Planty" things sure beats what I do most Saturdays....hehe

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi guys,
    The swap is only a month away! I've been busy potting, rooting, etc for anything I can.
    I'm looking for a plant. Asphodeline lutea. AKA Jacob's Rod. Does anyone have it? If so, can we do a special trade?
    Thanks,
    Vickie

• squirrelspur
    14 years ago

This was a great swap! Thank you Vickie and MGs.
    I picked up a number of great plants, including a huge butterfly bush.

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, squirrelspur, it was a great swap! Thank you all for attending! We had a whopping 28 people at our very first annual Forsyth County MGV swap! That was a GREAT turnout for a first swap. (heck, it's a great turnout for any swap!) Craig was very impressed and very pleased and has already given me permission to have another one in the spring. Next one will be held next year at the same place right after the MGV plant sale at the Arboretum at Tanglewood.

Once again, thanks to all that attended and watch GW for details on the spring swap. Also, if you would like to be emailed directly about the upcoming events, just send me your name and email address and I'll put you on the list. Rootdigger gets up a seed swap in High Point in Jan, so that's another event to look forward to as well as the spring swap in HP.

Hope everyone had a great time and got lots of good plants!

Thanks,
    Vickie

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Vicky/Craig
    Many Thanks for hosting this swap. For those of you who missed it - You missed a great swap. And thanks to all the Gardeners that came for the good selection of plants. Thanks for sharing. I walked away with some great plants. Until next time - Judy

PS - Whoever brought those butterfly bushes - They were Gorgeous!!!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz