Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moose_2009

WANTED: Landscape designers

moose_2009
14 years ago

I live in Lexington, SC and currently in the process of landscaping my front yard. I plan to do the work myself but need help with the designing aspect and am consisdering consulting a landscaping designer. Any suggestions or recommendations on how the process works?

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    14 years ago

As long as you are still waiting for a reply, I will add my 2 cents. Would you consider designing it yourself by using magazines and books? Go to your local library and look for landscape design books. If you lived closer, I would enjoy helping you with it (I am in NC). I have designed several gardens over the years for myself and others. I learned most of it from magazines and the TV show Gary Allen's Garden Design. He creates curvy island beds for trees and around the foundation, walks, etc. Once you understand the basics, anyone can do it. Email me to discuss if you would like to. I live for this stuff!

• zenda
    14 years ago

Moose,
    I would recommend that you do as Quirkpod says--just to get some really good ideas of what you are wanting. Basically you can spend a bunch of money on supposed "landscape designers"--and get a bunch of guys with mowers and shrubs. Local garden centers may have a designer on staff. If you live anywhere near a university with a horticultural major, you have the bonus of a student or graduate student who has all the book smarts and creative ideas and will be very cheap. (A friend of mine found one that is excellent and practically works for free).
    I looked through magazines, observed what I liked and didn't like, and trained myself--and it didn't take a long time. I have a yard that looks professionally landscaped (Neighbors stop me and ask). I hate the overly 'suburban" cookie cutter, myself, and simply followed some basics: Curves for beds. Select the "main Dish"-like a tree or large shrub. Then choose the "sides"-- chose a variety of of textures (Verticals, mounds, loose forms), then limit the variety and repeat it, so that the eye finds the variety soothing (for example, I have black eyed susans across the yard, with jolts of white phlox. Everything else is foliage)
    Here's the other thing if you do it yourself--you can make mistakes, and transplant or shift things as you learn. I bought encore azaleas (sounds like a good idea--a fall bloom!, except that who wants pale pink in the fall, when thoughts are going to pumpkins? So I shifted them to a different spot. Or I could have sold them on Craig's list!)
    Go explore and do it yourself for half the price. Or ask for a real, certified landscape designer, not some one who has a landscaping business.
    Good Luck!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio