Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mad_about_mickey

WANTED: Stevia

mad_about_mickey
15 years ago

Have tried to start this from seed three years in a row and have not been successful. Anyone have a source for plants?

Comments (8)

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Farmer's market herb stalls will have it. I've started some successfully from seed before. Maybe you got a bad batch or something.

• mad_about_mickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I will have to go on Friday and check it out.

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

Did you ever find your stevia? If not I'll try to grow you some this winter when mine seeds. I usually just throw it down in a pot (don't even cover) and it takes off come spring.

• mad_about_mickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, Root, we went to the farmers market and they said they have it at the grrenhouse but it's not avail. yet. I would appreciate any help you would give me. My seeds never even TRY to germinate, let alone grow.

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

I've killed seeds several times. I finally learned to not baby them and they took off. Killed my first plant too, lol. When I got my 2nd plant I grew it in a pot the first year and it didn't seed until late fall. I started throwing the seeds back into the pot and next spring there were babies all in it and it was stuck under the house for winter with very minimal watering. The next year I planted some and left some in the pot just to see what would happen and it came back which really surprised me. I kept a backup for a few years and now I don't bother with it. I think I finally took the potted one to a swap. Anyway, I'll start you some this fall. If I see any growing around my mama plant I'll snag that for you instead and bring it to the fall swap. Glad to help.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I have a huge pot of it, so if you're looking for it still come swap time i'm sure i can get you a divvy. I gathered and kept a bunch of the seed set last fall. I overwintered this one in the basement like deb, and it came back with a vengeance! I had one that came back faithfully for years in the garden but i think last year's drought finally did it in. It was always very late to emerge.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I got one at a long-ago swap - more than likely the one from Root. It has done fine for years but I grow it in a pot. As far as I can tell it has never seeded in the other pots nearby and after it achieved a certain size it has never grown any bigger or fuller.

I also have another "sweet herb" known as Aztec Sweet Leaf. I don't remember the scientific name but it doesn't look anything like Stevia so I doubt they are related. I have no idea if it is winter hardy but it is a FAST grower. I haven't tried to propagate it but I will for the swap.

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

John, mine got bigger once I put it in the ground. I also cut it back about mid summer (my daughter uses it in koolaid) and it'll still bloom for me in the fall.

I found some info from Richters about the Aztec Sweet Leaf.....

http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.cgi?page=./QandA/Culinary/20010116-1.html&cart_id=105427.29178

and another discussing the difference in them.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Aztec Sweet Herb and Stevia

Sponsored