Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

o
WANTED: Raleigh Swap Wish List

Posted by brenda_near_eno Z7a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 07 at 9:34

OK, September is right around the corner and that's SWAP TIME!!!! Karen brought up the question of what people are looking for, and I am also wondering what I should put on to start rooting now. Maybe we could have a post of "wants" to get ideas.

(I'm still on Step 1 of my 12-Step Plant Addiction Program, and I consider this a healthy step in lieu of starting a special swap page 9 weeks before the swap. Humor me that I'm making progress.)

I'm definitely rooting up some hardy Fuchsia I got at PDN last spring -it's gone crazy all summer with vivid pink and purple "ballerinas." What else to root? Salvias? (Karen, I always need more.) Beautyberries? Agastache? Foamflower? Shade or sun? I'm on the look-out for ferns and weird impatiens and sea oats and white "cemetary" iris and lamium and weird violets and anything that likes shade. And especially anyone's favorite pass-along plant that grandma grew but nurseries don't. (Invasive does not scare me and my poor rock-hard clay, except for the dreaded Oriental Limelight Artemesia.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Raleigh Swap Wish List

Brenda, did you want Chasmanthium latifolium? I have a ton of that. I have Southern lady and Cinnamon fern, also ebony spleenwort. I also have a couple of lamiums that I can try to root. I already have you down for Ruellia.

I definitely am interested in the hardy fuschia. Also salvias and foamflower.

o

Brenda - I have a ton of wild ferns growing near my creek. Do you have Purple Beauty Berry?

Alicia - Do you have any extra Ruellia? That's the purple flowers, invasive, right?

I am looking for the following:
Brussel Sprouts
Artichokes
Variegated Confederate Jasmine
Orange Butterfly Weed
Japanese Painted Fern
Arum italicum
Toad Lily
Witch Hazel

I'll be attempting to root some cutting this weekend. Take a look at my trade list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magick's Trade List

o

Ahh, Brenda, so glad you're only on Step 1. I Want your hardy fuschia. I also Want old fashioned quince, the kind without a cultivar name. I Want Florida flame azalea (already put my name on that one). I Want pass along hardy chyrsanthemums and irises. And I Want World Peace.

I'll go ahead and start some salvias and I'll see what the deer and rabbits left me after my extended (and much needed) vacation. I've spotted a few seedlings of Mirabilis longiflora, a lovely fragrant southwest native for the evening garden, and will try and pry them out. Not sure if they're hardy here, but I stick the roots in the garage in the winter and plant them out when they start sprouting in the spring. Pretty easy.

(Brenda, not sure if I should brag about this or not, but I did manage to kill Artemesia 'Limelight'. Does that make me fearless? Or just reckless? As in Karen, the Reckless Gardener.)

o

Brenda, I have a Japanese Beech Fern that is spreading nicely. I can dig one for you if you want. It'll take dry or moist shade.

I'm looking for...
WINTER BLOOMERS
Camellia - tea types
Fruiting Mulberry
Iris ungucularis (winter blooming)
Bulbs - fall crocus
Camassia cusickii - pale blue
Camassia quamash - violet blue
Clematis - Betty Corning - or other blue frangrant clematis
Gladiola - *ATOM*
Oriental Lilies - Casa Blanca or other orientals
Scutellaria lateriflora (*Virgina* Skullcap)
Ceanothus americanus - New Jersey Tea
Glycyrrhiza glabra
Rainlilies

o

Magick,
What species of white beautyberry do you have -- American or japonica?

o

Alicia - I'm not sure of the species. I got a BUNCH of teeny tiny babies from rootdiggernc at the spring swap, maybe she can chime in? I figured that half of them would die, but they are slowly getting bigger and NONE have died off. So now I have tons of seedlings.

o

Magick I can bring you seeds of butterfly weed to the swap. I have never transplanted seedlings because it's supposed to be difficult due to the taproot -- I've always just direct sown relatively fresh seed and gotten many plants that way.

o

Sounds great!!! I'll bring you some white beauty berry seedlings - I've divided this group twice with no die offs.

o

Magick, I think I got those from the seed swap we had last year. I don't remember who brought them...maybe Brenda?

o

Brenda, I REALLY want a fuchsia. I don't know what I have to trade yet but I have a really cute 4 yr old as collateral. or you can take the 6 yr old but unless you have video games he'll be trouble... Guess it's time to start rooting some stuff to swap! -Ais.

o

OK, I've started lots of pieces of the fuchsia 'Sanihanf'. It was still blooming, so no guaratees it will root as well as in spring (Tammy, did yours make it?) I've got Alicia, Karen, and Ais for it - any others for that? If you got beautyberry seeds from me, they were : purple-americana, pink-Welch's Pink, or white-japonica. What beautyberries are of interest for next swap? I'm potting up baby tiarella and agastache today. Which salvias? May as well call out, cuz if I don't have it, Karen will - she has more salvias than I can count. Anyone who doesn't have Salvia 'Lovechild' yet? Japanese flowering apricot seedlings for anyone? I am mad to have the n.sea oats, lady fern, beech fern, ruellia, and any other ferns other than Christmas. I also have to trade crape myrtle 'Natchez White', Impatiens zombensis, Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream', Calycanthus floridus, and a nice potted 2-ft native red cedar. Rootdigger, which rainlilies are you looking for? I have a pot of atamasco grown from seed if you don't have that one. Ais, they're really cute at 4, so I'd take him/her for a year or so gladly, but eventually they are so much trouble - and they stop wanting to help weed - so........ I'd rather have one of your plants. The plants are more likely not to thank me for my years of devotion with a substandard nursing home someday.

o

Brenda, I love any rainlilies! I'd also love some of your Agastache; the peachy/orange color. Do you have a picture of your 'Lovechild' salvia? I'm trying to figure out if I already have it or not. I know I have Black and Blue, Hot Lips, and Maraschino. A couple others I'm not sure about.

Magick, may I have a couple of your white beautyberry? I think I have some somewhere in my yard, but not sure if it made it, lol...

I have some baby phlox that has come up around the parent plant. It's less than 30 inches tall in full sun and in 3 years has never had mildew. I also have white butterfly gingers and hardy begonia. The begonia will go dormant in the fall, but it has never failed to come back.

Here's the phlox........
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

...and Brenda, here's the JB fern...you can see on the picture the babies running around it. It's been in that spot for about a year. It's supposed to get 24 inches, but isn't that tall yet. I'll dig one closer to swap time so it has more grow time.

o

I'm looking for salvias that are blue or purple.

Rootdigger, do you have winter honeysuckle?

o

Root - I'll save you some of the white beauty berries, I'd love some White Butterfly Ginger!!!

o

alicia, i have winter honeysuckle and have had some in some soil rooting. so i should have some to bring in sept.

brenda, the fuchsia is alive and doing well, although with the drought it's still tiny. so cute- it's already budding, and i can't wait to see its first flowers. i just bought another one (don't recall the variety) from bb's last weekend. i'd love to get some more zombiensis impatiens. it's such a cutie, and i popped in into one of my planters, but am not sure which now (oops). do you have river oats? i can bring a few seedlings of it if you want. oh, i found that my blue curls was an annual, but is coming back from lots of seeds now. i'll be curious is it gets big enough that way to bloom well- i'd be happy to have another nice reseeder. did yours come back as a perenn?

root, does that phlox have a white eye like the pix looks like? it's very pretty. how do you divvy phlox? seems like you have winter honeysuckle- if not, do you want that?

magick- i should be able to bring some butterfly weed seedlings. i have some little guys that are reasonably easy to dig up. once they are more than 6 mos old, it's next to impossible to move them. and i can bring toadlily, though i wonder if it'd be better to get in spring. thoughts, anyone?

i don't know what i want right now. i'll have to think about it, and maybe what i could use in my plot. our theme this year is 'tea for 2', and because the fair is just a few weeks after the swap, it would need to be a good size plant in order to use it for the plot, and it's full sun, so it would need to be adjusted to that. that said, anything that would work in that theme & situ works for me. we are working with most any plant used for tea, medicinally, traditionally, and herbal as well as black tea, and tea colored plants as accents. i have the common things covered (beebalm, lemon balm, mints, bronze fennel, agastaches, gingers, rose, horehound, calamint, thymes, scented geraniums, lavendars, lemon verb, lemon grass, raspberry, motherwort, etc). i would be interested in that new jersey tea that root is looking for. and the plant that makes red tea- i could borrow that if someone has it (don't know the latin offhand, but it's an african plant i think). i plan to get a nice sized camellia sinensis from cam forest. and am hoping to find or borrow a pomegranate 'nana' as another accent plant. any input or plants would be welcome. tam

o

Tam - If the Toadlily is better planted in spring, I guess I should wait (as painful as that may be). I'm not sure if you covered this, but my favorite summer tea is Jasmine tea. Yummy!!!!

Also looking for Purple Ruellia, ARTICHOKES, purple beauty berry & witch hazels.

o

Magick,
I can bring you native ruellia in exchange for Climbing Butterscotch cuttings if you want. The cuttings from this spring croaked in all the wind we had in the spring.

Tammy,
I have No. River Oats.

o

Alicia - Sounds great... The Butterscotch really takes off!! And (knock on wood) the dang JBs haven't touched it :) I'm trying my hand at rooting, so I may have rooted cuttings.

o

Brenda, I'd be interested in Impatiens 'Blue Dreams'. Let me know how up to date your wish list is on your Trading Page. I've got several things I think I could take cuttings from, Euphorbia cotinifolia for instance, and I may have a layered start from my Cotinus to dig up. And like Alicia, I've also got tons of Chasmanthium. As for salvias, should I stick to hardy species or are people interested in the tender stuff? Alicia, I've got a really nice S. urica with purple flowers and a longer bloom season than forms I've had previously, but it's a tender species. I could also take a cutting from S. patens 'Guanajuato', which should be hardy for you.

Tam, blue curls is an annual that self seeds well for me out in the meadow. It tends to show up late but grows quickly to start blooming in late summer.

o

Magick, I've got your purple beautyberry for non-Christmas fern. Karen, Impatiens arguta it is - easy to root -I'd love any hardy salvia - the Cielo died again over winter in my cool greenhouse.

Rootdigger, I have only honeybee type agastaches to share right now. My sunset colored rupestris-type came back with only a spindly stem and few worried blossoms -guess the dappled shade is just not enough for the desert native. 'Lovechild' is the not-safe-sex-offspring of Maraschino and Lipstick, a microphylla and a greggii I believe. Maraschino has an oval leaf with just a bit of serration to edge. Lipstick has smaller oval leaves with no serration, smooth edges. 'Lovechild' has almost round, glossy bright green leaf with scalloped edge. All are red, hardy, and bloom well even in dappled shade.

o

Rootdigger, I have a couple of peachy/orange agastaches. I'll check this weekend and see if there's anything to cut on.

o

Magick, thanks I have you down for white ginger.

Brenda, I'll look tomorrow and see if I can figure out which salvia's I have.

Karen, Thanks I'd love the agastache if you can. I have a nice sunny dry spot for that one!! ...and I do have a winter honeysuckle from a former swap.

Tammy, yes that phlox has a white eye and it seeds around so I have babies if you want one. I also have the common yarrow (from Roan Mtn) it's a coagulant (cuts) and is used as a tea for colds in the winter. Also you might want to try to find some calendula (aka pot marigold), it grows easy from seed and is an annual.

o

magick- wonder what kind of jasmine they use for tea? i'll have to do some research- i thought they were poisonous, but i have heard of jaz tea. good tip. i'll see if i can't dig a toadlily now before they realy elongate to bloom. they are small this year with the drought, too, which will work in our favor. i do think they'd do better in spring, but i have lots to spare.

thanks for the calendula and yarrow tips, root. i'll start some calendula- not sure whether i'll work in the yarrow or not- maybe a colorful variety (is the roan mtn the white one?). can you think of one that would be blooming in october? you have wiggle room with the themes- afterall, they do want it to look nice. so i'm trying to pack as much color in as i reasonably can. i'd love some of the white eyed phlox for my yard.

alicia, i was actually asking brenda if she wanted the river oats in exchange for some impatiens zombie. but if you want some, i can probably spare a seedling, and then i'm out. i plan to collect seed this year and sow them. i have just a few seedlings that self sowed in kind of a bad spot.

brenda- i know i have lipstick, am pretty sure i have maraschino, but i don't think i have lovechild. could i pre-reserve one of those? i've got about 4 red ones, and they are awful hard for me to tell apart. :) but i can always use more, esp if they can deal with shade, which i didn't realize. i have the med purple ruellia w/ bronzy tinted leaves- not sure which it is, except a bit pushy. hasn't taken over the world yet, and has dealt with no water, and harsh conditions out by my mailbox with many blooms. holds its own with spanish lavendar, heliotrope and heather. please see my note to alicia above as to river oats.

karen- i'm open to any hardy salvias that can deal with part shade conditions, and not be babied. they're destined for the backyard where it's hard to water.

i'll try to figure out what i can get together in trades. my time may be somewhat limited by getting the fair plot in order, so i'm going to try and make myself behave with the preswaps (hah! )

o

Tammy, I only have the white yarrow, but I can usually keep it blooming as long as I keep cutting the blooms back. Not sure about the colored ones. There's also the simple herbs like garlic, plantain (weed), dandelions, parsley, dill. Also Rose Hips, Golden Seal, Oregon Grape, Marshmallow (Althea officinalis), Rue, Coltsfoot, Mullein, Comfrey, Black Cohosh, Gravel Root, Virginia Skullcap, Pleurisy Root-(Asclepias tuberosa), Burdock, Lobelia, Elderberry, Hops, Valerian, St. John's Wort, Cayenne, Yellow Dock, common white Garden Sage.... Oh lime tree (leaves),... do you have any Fo-Ti? I've swapped a good bit of that but can't remember if I ever gave you any. It's a fast growing vine and pretty heart shaped leaves. Anyway, some of those are common enough you may have them around already with all your woods.

Any honey to go with all that tea? Or maybe a stevia plant, it blooms late.... Hmmmm.... herbs/teas that bloom in October... Maybe Borage? Not sure how long it'll bloom, but it likes cooler weather. Nasturtium started in August or early Sept? They use to use the seeds pickled, against scurvy, also used to make nasturtium 'tea' sandwiches and brewed as a tea for colds.

This has a couple....
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA-Pilot/issues/1995/vp950312/03100105.htm

Here are (at the link) a couple hibiscus teas and also Agastache foeniculum (anise hyssop) (cool I didn't know that anise hyssop was an agastache, duh!) and it blooms late...also according to this site they dry the tea leaves alongside the Jasminum Sambac, then the leaves absorb the fragrance....

Ohhh, you all have so much fun with these fair plots!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Medicinal Garden

o

Tammy - Jasminum sambac flowers are used to make tea... link at bottom. Thanks for the toadlily - it will be a new experience for me :) Is there anything I can bring for you?

Brenda - I'll pot up some fern for you & probably bring some extra for the general swap.

If anyone has the Variegated Lily of the Valley Striata, I'd be forever thankful!!! Also looking for Arum italicum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasmine Tea

o

Rootdigger,
That phlox is beautiful, and I would love to trade for it. I have wild black mulberries, would you like for me to try to find a seedling? Also, I have pink yarrow if you're interested. The bridal wreath from the fall trade didn't make it, I'd like to try again from cuttings. I'm trying to think what I have that blooms in winter besides winter honeysuckle and Prunus mume -- do you have coral or goldflame honeysuckle? I know coral honeysuckle often blooms in winter and I believe my goldflame did this winter too.

Karen,
I'd love a start of the S. patens. I have you down for a Florida azalea seedling. Also, I have a mum from Niche that's one of the white singles, might be "Venus", are you interested? I could get some cuttings going. And I have some passalong iris -- one is a large fragrant white, another a blue-violet, and a medium yellow.

Tammy,
Would you be interested in Scutellaria incana, either for your fair plot or dry shade? I'm interested in your purple Ruellia, I just have the native ground-hugger so far.

o

Alicia, I've got 'Venus' already but I'd love the fragrant white iris. If you're interested I've got a fragrant purple passalong that I think is probably the non-variegated form of Iris pallida. Smells fabulous.

I should have plenty of hellebore seedlings this fall. Foetidus for sure, and maybe a few H. argutifolius and niger.

o

Brenda, I took pics because darn if I can figure it out, lol...

I took 2 pics of each. To me #1 a&b look just like #2 a&b, but 2 has a Furman's Red tag. #3 is more pink than red, especially when you hold the 2 together. Let me know what you think. I thought I had more of your salvias than just the Furmans and the pinkish one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia

o

Alicia, I have you down for phlox and cuttings of BW are no problem. For anyone else wanting this I can do cuttings but really don't want to dig anymore of it for a while as I've been pretty hard on it 06&07.

I have Coral/Trumpet Honeysuckle and is your Gold flame the pink and yellow like this....

o

Karen it's a deal with the iris trade. The non-variegated pallida is hard to find except from historic iris dealers. I think you'll like this white iris -- it has a wonderful fragrance which is different from the pallidas (which also smell wonderful).

Rootdigger, my goldflame looks just like that. Do you have Georgia speedwell? At least half the time that blooms in the winter. Also, would you interested in any Scutellarias besides the Virginia? -- I have integrifolia, incana and ovata.

Tammy I've still got your Royal fern that I found this spring after the swap.

o

Root, if you have "Furman's Red' from me, you actually have 'Maraschino' (which is what #2 looks like to me) - cuz mine was mislabeled - sorry. Karen confirmend this real identity with Rich Dufresne after I showed her my mistake - it is my understanding that greggiis have perfectly smooth leaf margins, no slight serrations or scalloping.

#1 might be same as 2 - I can't tell from photo. Both are microphyllas, I think. What is 3? I will bring you a 'Lovechild' cuz it is not any of 3.

o

alicia, i'd love the scutellaria, and i'll set aside some ruellia for you. oh, goody, another fern. one of the cinnamons died right off, but the them stuck it out for a while. i'm hoping it just went dormant with this drought. i did water it as much as i could. also, i have coral honeysuckle. i don't know what part/how to take viable cuttings, but am willing to try it for you. i have gold flame, too.

magick, i don't know what i want right now for the toadlily- i'll worry about that later (mind's on vaca in a week). i'm sure something will catch my eye.

i just picked up a sambac jasmine today- how do you like that! i hadn't read any of those posts til now, so great minds & all that. :)

root thanks for the exhaustive list of possibilities. i'm keeping the medicinal end down a bit- just using what i want for color & form (like tansies, even though they are now known to be poisonous). i do have a big dortmund rose in a tub that we put out there this weekend and it's already got a nice hip crop. it normally reblooms about fairtime, so i hope to have both the red flowers and orange hips at once. i'm gonna seed some dill in, and forgot to mention we are hoping to have a chamomile pathway. and i was thinking of nasties and borage, too. i dug a small sassafrass yesterday and if it pulls through i'll pop it in, too. no, i don't have fo-ti, but could use some. i'll evaluate closer to the swap time (after vacation, which is where my mind is now!), and let you know if i'm interested in any of the others. oh, and while we're in PA, i'll try and get you some more coltsfoot.

o

I agree with Brenda, Root's #1/2 look like 'Maraschino'. #3 looks like it might be 'San Carlos Festival'.

Alicia, after walking the garden this evening I realized I've also got Salvia 'Christine Yeo', which is both purple and hardy, that I could take cuttings from. My hidden agenda here is that I'd love to trade for your ebony spleenwort.

o

Thanks Brenda and Karen. The only difference I see in 1 and 2 is 1 is more floppy while 2 is more woody at the base, but that might just be an age thing.

Alicia I have speedwell. The two skullcaps I'm looking for are baicalensis or lateriflora(Virginia). Don't worry if we can't come up with something. I'm happy to share and I really don't need a lot. Every year I say I'm going to behave and not take on so much and every year I blow it.

Tammy, sorry I got carried away, lol... I don't have all of those, but I will go ahead and root some fo-ti just in case. If you decide you can't use it I can always add it to the general swap stuff. Oh, I also have a black stem EE for you from spring.

o

Does anyone have....

Confederate jasmine; Star jasmine/ Trachelospermum jasminoides

o

Root - I have Confederate jasmine. I'll try to root some cuttings for you.

o

Karen, that sounds great.

Rootdigger, thank you. Hopefully I will list something later on that you will want.

o

Thanks Magick, that's one I've wanted for a loooong time!

Alicia, you're very welcome! I went ahead and dug the phlox. That should give it plenty of time to settle in and get over the shock.

Karen, "PURPLE" salvia? My fav color and salvia to boot! Please may I have some too!! Do you want some of salvia #3 or something else I've listed?

Tammy have a good trip! We're heading to Baltimore this weekend. I hope to scope out a nice nursery along the way or at least some gardens somewhere.

o

Root - I'd been dreaming about it forever as well. Then I found a nice sized pot of it... with multiple plants in the pot, for next to nothing - I HAD to grab it & I LOVE to pass along plants!!

o

Rootdigger, I should be able to take several cuttings from 'Christine Yeo' and will put your name on one. I've got both the salvias you posted already (Maraschino from Brenda at a prior swap) but I'll pipe up later when I see something I'd like.

o

Thanks Karen and Magick, I appreciate it!

o

Tammy,
I will see if I can find another Cinnamon fern -- they may have gone dormant here too, it's so dry. I've had one go dormant before and then come up the next year, hopefully that is what has happened to yours. If you could try to start some coral honeysuckle that would be great.

Magick,
Can we trade for Confederate jasmine instead of white beautyberry?

o

alicia- don't worry about the cinnamon. i just wanted you to know how they'd made out. if it doesn't come back i can get more next year. i'm heartened if yours have gone dormant; hopefully that's all that happened with mine. i know the royals will often do that in a dry summer, too. i'll try & get some cuttings of the honeysuckle tomorrow.

root- no worries- i didn't figure you had all you mentioned. i don't think i could add that much extra anyhow! :) fo-ti sounds fun if it works out & if not no biggie. hope baltimore is fun!

o

I've updated my trade page with what I know I have to bring. I plan on taking some cuttings this weekend. I'd like to add that I'm looking for low growing minglers for full sun. The daylily bug has bitten me hard these past 2 summers and I'm looking for good companion plants. I'm up for any suggestions.

o

Alicia - I'll bring you some Confederate Jasmine.

I'll pot up a few more CJ cuttings and any that are not claimed I'll put in the general swap. Same with the white Beauty Berry. I'll update my trade/swap list after this weekend, when I see how much I get potted up.

o

Does anyone have any extra 'Butterfly Blue' (Scabiosa columbaria)? I hear that they are easy & smell good.

o

Brenda - How about Sensitive Fern? It has been happily trying to overtake the Japanese Painted Fern and they are both between the house and the walk, proverbial rock and a hard place. I also have some Green and Gold for your dry part shade.
Have you had any luck propagating the giant snowball?

Nancy the nancedar

o

Shari I have verbena "Homestead Purple" and "Blue Princess". I've had the Homestead Purple for over 10 years, it's even survived 3 or 4 floods.

o

Alicia, I'm beginning to think that HP is what I need since I bomb out with verbenas so much. I've killed one 'Blue Princess' already. I had high hopes for 'Snowflurry' and did lose the original plant but had a reseeded one come up about ten feet away-haven't deadheaded the few blooms I've gotten in hopes it will reseed some more.

Did you get any of Dana's big purple salvia this spring? A piece broke away when I planted mine so I potted it up and still have it. It's looking alot like 'Indigo Spires' to me. Same size but maybe the bloom spikes aren't quite as long. I may be able to root some Salvia chionophylla too.

o

Shari I'll root some Homestead Purple for you. I'm very interested in both salvias. From the spring swap I have a Mutabilis rooted and will bring cuttings of Sir Robert Lipton. Do you have catmint and calamintha already?

o

Alicia, I don't have any Nepeta or Calamintha. I'll go ahead and start rooting the snowflake sage and reserve the big blue salvia for you.

o

Shari, do you want any catmint or calamintha? I saw you were looking for low-growing minglers.

Tammy, did the snowbell and titi cuttings make it? I have had absymal luck with cuttings this year. I'm going to try one more time. I have one snowbell seedling to spare this year if you want it.

o

Alicia, I would be happy with the catmint or calamintha. Which do you like the best?

o

I like them equally, actually. They look really good together. Would you be willing to trade for the Aloha?

o

Yes, the "Aloha' rose, big blue salvia and snowflake sage for HP verbena, catmint and calamintha. Sounds great!

o

alicia, unfortunately my cuttings all bombed. bad, bad luck this time. i would love a little seedling. one of the azaleas that i got from you died recently, but the other has about doubled in size this summer.

i guess i need to ck everyone's pages and update my own. i have a feeling it will have to wait for after vacation.

o

Rootdigger -- I noticed some time back that you want some ATOM glads, so I have been hoping mine would multiply sometime this decade to share with you. I expect to dig three for you. Sorry I can't spare more, but they are quite vigorous though still small.

Can you give me some orange croscosmia and some phlox?

Brenda: I can bring seeds of blue columbine and I'd love some cilantro either seed or plants, whatever you have. Or lobelia, either color and any tiarellas for shade.

Somebody, when is the swap? I hope it's not Sept 29!

o

Shari, another couple of good minglers are Ornamental Oregano and Eurphorbia corollata. Achillea millefolium is too but can get aggressive and look a bit like a mess after blooming. Amsonia hubrictii mixes well with daylilies; it gets to be about 2- 2 1/2' tall and 3' wide. I can bring starts of any of these if you're interested.

o

Ooh,Ooh I'd love to try the Euphorbia corollata and your oregano. I have a small Amsonia to plant and have been thinking about trying cuttings of my one oregano-'Rosenkuppel'. I took three cuttings from my 'Indigo Spires' yesterday morning( I love it so much that I hate to cut too much)would you want one? I can also try some 'Wild Watermelon' and I have white and a deep rosey greggii.

o

Shari I would love a start of the Indigo Spires and Wild Watermelon.

o

Well this thread is off like a rocket!!!

I also have all the fuchsias locally available. I don't know how hardy they are since this is my first year - but I can bring cuttings of each. They root easily and can always come inside as houseplants during the winter (keep them cool).

My artichokes are suffering - partially due to the heat but mostly because most of them bloomed this year (I was gone when the buds started to swell). Once they bloom they tend to die and send out many baby plants at the base. Sept is kinda early to be digging and replanting them but you never know. Things could cool down. And it might rain... someday.

o

John - After the spring swap, I stopped by the nursery you recommended on Tryon Rd. I picked up a couple of fruiting blueberry bushes and talked to them about artichokes - they had just GIVEN away a lot of the artichokes that didn't sell last fall!! One way or another, I will be trying them this fall :)

o

Woods, Thank You!! I would love the 'Atom' glads and have you down for the crocosmia and phlox.

Can anyone use some Colocaisa esculenta (green elephant ears)? I have a bed of them that needs thinning out. They're so thick in that bed that they can't get enough water. These are very cold hardy and have made it through several winters (in ground) with a pretty light fall mulching.

I also have a bunch of unnamed daylilies and a few iris. I had dug them from my fatherinlaws garden after he died and I don't have a clue what any of them are, but they're old varieties. He use to have a really nice collection.

o

Rootdigger I'd be interested in the elephant ears, daylily and iris. But I need to find something you want! Do you have wintersweet (Chiomanthus praecox)? I have 2 1-year-old seedlings and can spare one of them.

Shari I saw Joe Pye, amaryllis and crinum on your list. I have a hardy spring-blooming amaryllis that I can divide, as well as a white crinum. The Joe Pye has mottled stems, and grows wild on my place. It never gets very big even in amended soil, about 4, maybe 5' high at most.

o

Rootdigger, I'd be interested in an EE and daylilies. I like alot of the older varieties. If I have anything on my list you would like let me know. Do you have 'Iron Cross' oxalis? I have it still in the PDN pot and can't seem to place it in the garden.

Alicia, I'd be interested in all of those- especially the bulbs. Did you get a purple vitex yet? I thought I would try rooting cuttings from my tree. I also have Salvia meyeri that I could try to root- got it from PDN last year and it overwintered fine.

o

Shari, if you get it to root and have an extra, I'd love a cutting from Salvia meyeri. I'll be cutting salvias for the swap this weekend, and I should have some things to trade for it.

o

Shari, I don't have a purple Vitex yet and would love a start. Of the Salvia meyeri too and the rose S. greggii.

o

Sorry, work has been crazy and airplanes just leave me waiting endlessly at airports. I do check email, if gardenweb infrequently. Please forgive me, Nancy. I would love both sensitive fern and G&G. What can I get you? I have been trying to get the snowball - it's a beaut - by root cuttings - but no luck yet - your name is on 1st one. Better pick others you want though.

Woodsworm, I have cilantro seeds and tiarella seedlings.

John, I was in Philly when you called from airport - I seem to be always there, so please call me for lift next time - glad to. What are we trading?

B.

o

Is there going to be a formal swap, if so when and where? Does anyone know when the JC Raulston Arboretum is having there plant give away?

o

Karen, I'd be glad to reserve a S.meyeri for you. I'm sure I'd find something of yours that I'd love to have.

Alicia, good- I'll try all 3 of those for you.

o

Root,
The bridal wreath I received at the spring swap didn't make it, would it be possible to get another? Thanks.

o

For trades I have extras of these, and will also post these on my trade page. These are this year's seedlings.

Swamp sunflower
Single-flowered gardenia
Joe Pye
Seashore mallow
Sky blue aster
Georgia aster
Japanese iris (I. japonica, purple)
Baptisia (almost certainly alba)
Possamhaw (Ilex decidua)

o

Mad, I'll bring you some cuttings or if you want diggings it would be best to wait for spring. It needs to recover after the last 2 or 3 swaps. Let me know which you prefer.

Alicia, I'll bring you EE's, Iris and DL's. I'd love the wintersweet! I also have you down for phlox and BW cuttings? Is that right?

Sharil, EE's and DL's. As I said before I don't know which ones these are and when I dug them I just put them all in big buckets, but I'll bring you and Alicia several. The Iron Cross oxalis is lovely, thank you!

I think I have 3 people down for the phlox, Alicia, Tammy and Woods? I might be able to dig one more(did I miss someone?), but that's about all the babies. I discovered that they are running from the parent plant (one was about 10 feet from the parent), not seedlings, but the transplants are looking good so far.

o

Rootdigger, that's right, and I've got the wintersweet potted up for you.

o

Topher- I don't know what you consider formal but this is a very relaxed affair. Everyone is welcome to participate. What you are witnessing on this thread is prearranged swapping (parking lot trades). Generally it just allows us to A) count down the weeks, minutes, days etc & B)swap our special "haves" for desired "wants" and not take a chance on missing them on the tables. The swap thread often inspires envy at what others have and encourages us to attempt to trade our first born for the new object of desire.

I'm about to fall over with jealousy watching y'all swap. DH and I have sold our house and are now in the process of buying a new one with a little more yard. I will be taking several of my plants with me but until I am settled I won't know what I have to root. But wait until the spring swap...I plan on wintersowing a bunch. Afterall, I have a brand new yard to fill!!! I am planning on being at the swap though. I mean, there will be food and good company. Perhaps I will ring the bell and John can grab for once:> Dirtrx

o

I'm going to stick the salvia cuttings tomorrow morning. Sounds like I should stick to hardy species, mainly blues and purples. Is that right, or are there closet salviaphiles who are willing to baby the tender ones?

o

Karen, If you have any S. regla or other tender one with orangey blooms I'd be willing to give it a try. I've had terrible luck with 'Jame'- lost two but I really want it.

o

Root,
I'll wait for the spring swap.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Karen

o

Nancy, what can I dig/root for you?

Shari, do you have any Buddleia lindleyana to spare - and what would you want to trade?

Alicia, interested in your Baptisia and 'Homestead Purple'?

Woodsworm, any trillium to spare?

I will try to put more on my trade list today, but I have too many to list, so make me an offer. I'd really like some more hardy tiger lilies. Or........

o

Brenda, I do have B.lindleyana for you. I would like one of your 'Lovechild' salvias.

o

Shari, I think regla can be tricky to root but I'll give it a shot. Mine have already thrown up a few blooms this year. Seems early but I think it did the same thing last summer. I also saw plectranthus on your wish list. I've got a bunch, are you looking for anything in particular?

o

Potted up some Lobelia cardinalis seedlings. Fuchsia has not yet rooted. I have LOTS of Iris tectorum seeds - fresh today - if anyone wants to try them. I grew fromj seed, blooming second year - purple. Plenty of Prunus mume and blue Agastache too.

o

Brenda, you wanted some gladiolas? I can dig a couple for you. They winter in ground here.

o

Karen, I'd really like to try keeping the "Cuban oregano" green/gold plectranthus in the house this winter. I tried keeping one I got from Ralph last year in the garage and lost it right about the time I could've taken it out.

o

Shari, I just stuck some cuttings from Plectranthus saccatus in case you were interested. I don't have the 'Cuban oregano', but I do have P. fruticosus to cut on, and I may be able to find an extra piece of P. oertendahlei. I did some S. regla too, I'll have to wait and see how they do. When you say orangey, is salmon close enough?

Rootdigger, if you have enough of those glads after Brenda, I'd love some.

o

Karen, the P. saccatus looks great. Maybe Ralph will bring more of the 'Cuban oregano' this fall- he had a bunch last year.

What do you have that's salmon?

o

Root, yes yes yes please

o

brenda- was wondering if you wanted some of the upright ruellia that i asked you about earlier and/or some river oats? my 'sanihof' is doing well. did your kiwi root? should i bring some more? i didn't realize the sages you'd brought before do well in shade, and i don't think i have 'love child'- can i reserve one of those? i'd love some of the iris tectorum seed. oh, i also have 2 funky plectranthus that aren't i.d.'d that i got down at bb's last fall. they both have pretty purple blooms and non variegated, but interestingly shaped foliage. i can try and get some cuttings when we get back from vaca if you're interested. plects are normally really fast & easy to root.

i do have lots of something i got years ago from trina labelled as 'summer sage' that has watermelon pink colored blooms. really pretty & carefree. please let me know if anyone wants some. after how easy 'lipstick' rooted in spring, i'm more than happy to give it a go.

oh, and lowe's in garner had a bunch of 4-5" sages marked down to $1.50 that were greggii's (i think- they're not labelled). they had a fuchsia pink, deep raspberry and a purple. they also had gallon sized citronella plants and purple lantana for a buck.

o

Tammy, plectranthus and ruellia would be great. My kiwi rooted and sprouted and then died - for the second time. I'm game to try again if you need to prune. Do you have Salvia koyame? I have a big patch now from a little plant Karen gave me 3 yrs ago - it grows in a big low circle of large heart-shaped leaves - yellow flowers - only suited to shade - takes dry shade for me after establish. It onlt blooms for me once a year, but a very dramatic salvia for shade I think. Want some?

o
And: Raleigh Swap Wish List

Oh, and also bring you some Iris tectorum seed and also put some in a pot of moist soil today to try to get started already. I found them easier and quicker from seed than other iris I've tried - weird since it's hard to find plants at nurseries.

o

Brenda, how about the Homestead Purple and Baptisia for a Sweet Betsy, a Black Cohosh and another foamflower.

o

Shari, I have S. x jamensis 'Pat Vlasto' and S. greggii 'San Raphael Salmon'. The first is hardy for me but the second is new for me this year and is listed only to zone 8. It seems a little pickier than my other greggiis, and I'll probably take cuttings in case I lose it while we're getting to know each other. Not a rousing endorsement, I know, but if you want to experiment I'd be glad to do extras. The color is very nice and it has been blooming nonstop.

o
RE: WANTED: Raleigh Swap Wish List_spelling correction

Shari, sorry, but that's 'San Rafael Salmon' in case you try googling.

o

Karen, I'd love to try either of those. They sound lovely.

o

Brenda in an earlier post you said you wanted lamium. I have 2: "Petit Point" that I got from Ais and a lovely silvery green that I got from Rootdigger. Are you interested in either one of those?

o

Moka, I think (if it takes) I'll have the jasmine we talked about last spring for you. Let me know if you still want it.

Brenda and Karen, have you down for the glads.

o

Alicia: I'd love a single-flower gardenia.

Brenda: I owe you trillium and cinnamon fern from spring swap. The trillium is dormant now and the fern's a little frazzled, but they're OK.

Moka_j0: likewise your kalanchoe

Ratgirl (Carla) you there? Your clethera is OK too. Anybody else want clethera (sweet pepperbush)? It needs more sun than I have.

I have some more double tuberoses. I'm enjoying the fragrance right now.

Someone (Nancy?) gave me Chinese sedum and it is loving it here. Got any more to spare?

Also I have a good-sized blue-black salvia needs a home.

Oh, don't we get greedy? I just hope I don't get forgetful again.

o

Alicia, that's Fuchsia 'Sanihanf',Tiarella 'Iron Cross' X2, black cohosh, calycanthus florida for Ruellia, Lady Fern, northern sea oats,either lamium, 'Homestead Purple', Baptisia ? Is that right? Seems uneven-what else can I get you?

o

Hello all! It is exciting to start talking about swapping plants for the Ral fall swap, but does anyone know the date yet, before I join in? Thanks so much in advance!!
Jean

o

OOOps! my bad! All the Saturdays and only one of the Sundays are booked at Lake Crabtree til November!!! Looks like the fall swap will have to be somewhere else. I had been holding off on making the reservation until I heard when my neice was coming to NC to visit and it looks like I waited too long.

This Wednesday I will go by the Garner office to check on the availability of any of the old shelters where we used to have the swaps (Creech Road or Lake Benson). I am trying to avoid a conflict with the Piedmont/Triad swap, the State Fair, and visitors.

o

Woodsworm: How about trading gardenia (seedling) for Carolina allspice?

Brenda, I'd love a Prunus mume seedling.

o

rootdiggernc Do you have any more Coral/Trumpet Honeysuckle cuttings? I have the red honeysuckle but can't seem to get ant cuttings to root, what's your secret?

o

I'd like some more toad lilies, epimediums, bloodroot, flame azaleas, and clematis, or some variegated something, please, anyone?

I've got variegated Solomon's seal and daylilies galore, heirloom and mini iris, and white crinum. And I should do something with my Salvia koyame, and I wonder if Brenda_near_Eno ever got enough Chocolate Chip ajuga?

Sigh - it is too hot to even go look in the garden today. I am so tired of flashlight gardening.

Nancy the nancedar

o

Top, I have not tried to root the coral honeysuckle. I just got mine last year from a swap.

o

Shari, I still have some Cuban Oregano in pots, and will start some more for the swap. I have noticed that in the Trial Garden area at JC Ralston Arboretum that there are several different Plectranthus ambionicus cultivars this year.

o

karen__w I have flowering quince for you. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks! Jean

o

Ralph did you get any muhly going from the seed from the spring swap? If not I have a potted one I can bring. Don't know if it's capillaris or filipes.

o

To all who were wondering when the fall swap would be, here is the info John just posted:

Raleigh Fall Swap 2007
Saturday October 6th 2007
2:00pm til 5:00pm
Creech Road Elementary School Park
Garner NC 27529

o

Alicia, I'll have some Carolina allspice for you.

o

Nancy, got your tiarella, bloodroot (if I can find leaf still on surface), something variegated, snowball still trying.
Alicia, prunus mume.

Everyone likes their swap plants extra crispy, right?

o

Jean, I'd love the quince. Had some at my old garden and used to bring in branches for forcing every winter. Let me know what you're looking for.

Nancy, do you have Caryopteris 'Snow Fairy'? I was thinking about trying some cuttings if the temp ever drops below 100 again and would be happy to put one aside for you if I can get them rooted.

Woodsworm, I'd love a tuberose if you've got some to share. What could I bring you in return? I looked at your list on your member page. I don't have gladiolus 'Carolina Primrose' but I could bring you 'Boone'.

o

Woodsworm: Yay on the clethra! I'll look forward to it.

I am looking through my "inventory" to see what I might have for the swap. I have a small Hibiscus coccineus (Texas star) and a small Agave parryii, dahlias, redbuds (species) and possibly divisions/starts of: Alocasia portidora, banana 'Little Prince' and Xanthosoma 'Lime Ginger'. Also have the ubiquitous black and blue salvia and four o'clocks. Lots of plastic pots of various sizes.

I'm looking for: Ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris)
staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina) cultivar 'Tiger eye' aka 'Bailtiger' or native species, gas plant (Dictamnus albus),
Oriental poppies, any color, Sealing wax palm (Cyrtostachys lakka, Cyrtostachys renda), Baptisia alba. Non-plant things:
Blue bottles especially, but any colored ones, sprayer nozzles for hoses, hoe, potting soil. Open to other things -- tempt me!

Carla B.

o

Carla, I have Baptisia alba (this year's seedlings). What color dahlias do you have?

o

Alicia -- I am unsure of the color just yet. I have two small potted ones that haven't bloomed yet, from a mix of unnamed bulbs I got from a lady in the mountains. The larger ones I put in the ground have started to bloom. One has a very large (6-8 inches across), deep wine-colored flower. The other one has a smaller flower that is pink-and-white striped and sort of ruffley. The potted ones I have to trade will likely be one or the other. Or who knows? Maybe I'll get another surprise. I gave Ralph one also and haven't asked him yet what color his turned out to be.

o

Alicia7b, I would love a Muhley grass plant. I have not yet begun to update my trade list, but I will have lots of new, good stuff. This weather and the deer have me in a funk. Just for fun, are there any things that you are looking for? By the way, several of us have been listing Salvia 'Sky Blue'. At the spring swap, I received a pot of bog sage. It is now blooming and looks identical to what we have been calling 'Sky Blue'. Bog Sage is Salvia uliginosa from S. Africa and pictures of it on Dave's Garden confirm that it is the same as 'Sky Blue'.

o

Carla, do you want to trade baptisia for dahlia then?

RalphW, I have you down for a Muhly.

o

Karen, I'd love some Boone glad and I have you some tuberose.

o

Ralph - I'd LOVE some Tricyrtis with yellow variegation swirled with green & Arum italicum... Is there anything you'd be interested in?

o

Nancy, do you know which white crinum you have?

o

Yes, Alicia. Dahlia for baptisia sounds good. I can give you the two potted ones I have.
Carla

o

Alicia... did your baby sorrel seedlings make it from last year? We had talked about swapping for them before, but they needed some grow time.

o

Those died over the winter. I have 2 new ones but they are very small as well.

o

Ok, thanks for letting me know Alicia.

I just took several cuttings to root from a no name Epiphyllum if anyone is interested let me know. I don't know which one it is, but while I was taking cuttings I discovered it has its very 1st bud/bloom!! It's one of the very 1st epi cuttings I got back in 02 and it could be a red but most likely a white. This is a tender house plant and will probably bloom at night. If it's the oxypetalatum it'll be fragrant. Other names for the oxy epi; Christ in a Manger, Dutchman's Pipe Cactus, Queen of the Night, Night Blooming Cereus. We have parties when they bloom as it's pretty awesome watching them open! Another one (not an oxy) has 11 blooms on it so I can't wait for that one!! It'll prolly be a week to ten days before this one opens, but I'll take pics when it does.

Here is a link that might be useful: video of Night Blooming Cereus (not mine)

o

Rootdigger, I have a fragrant mockorange I can take cuttings of if you're interested.

o

Alicia, Thanks, but I just dug and gave my mock orange away last spring, lol.... it just never grew that well for me, so after about 10 years of not even wanting to look in its direction I dug it up and sent it to be swapped! Plants Beware! ;D

o

brenda, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. vacation, lasek & all that. i can still barely see the keyboard and screen so please forgive any typos. i'd love some koyame. i think i bought a variegated form at bb's a month ago, but will be happy to have the plain, too. lots of dry shade, and i love the leaf form. i'll be happy to root my plects for you. i'll dig some of the ruellia after we get rain (ever?) and will be happy to do more kiwi cuttings the morn of. it needs trimmed anyhoo. you'd want both sexes, right?

i'm going to try and root some various things i have around that look ok with this drought. probably that watermelon pink summer sage, some of the bridal wreath spirea (old fashioned one), mock orange, winter honeysuckle, and anything else that looks promising. maybe roses- let me know if there's interest, or if most everyone got the ones they wanted from me. i'm going to try hard to keep trading down this time so i can concentrate on the fair plot. it has to be finished just a few days after the swap, so.... not to mention my pot ghettos (3 right now) are out of control. i need a 12 step program... :)

o

Carla - I'm interested in your agave if it hasn't been promised. Check my list for plant trades, though I haven't had a chance to update it. Also what size bottles are you needing? We drink Skyy vodka around here which comes in a beautiful blue bottle I could save for you. I've already got one empty and one opened one in the freezer.
Dana

o

Brenda, my 'Indigo Spires' appears to have rooted. Would you like to trade for 'Albury Purple' St. John's Wort?

o

Sounds good, Shari, but let me look around - I may have some other goodies that might appeal to you. Do you like named euphorbias?

Wonder or wonders, the root cutting of Viburnum 'Sterile' has sprouted, Nancy, so it's yours if I didn't just hex it into croaking.

Everything promised has rooted except the fuchsia, so I started more of those yesterday.

Anyone have spare tigerlily bulbils or dark-ish elephant ears - black magic, illustris, whatever? Mine all croaked last winter.

Variegated koyame, Tammy? Another reason to go to BB. Like I needed one......

o

Euphorbia would be great. I tried 'Helena's Blush' last fall but it didn't make it past the Easter Freeze- think it just wasn't established enough and probably wanted a little shade too. I'm game to try any. Even the agressive ones.

o

pretty sure it's koyame- it's the one with arrow/shield shaped leaves, right? i lost the tag on that one in the shuffle somehow. when i get enough, i'll be happy to share if you wan wait. :)

deb, i managed to get some more coltsfolt in PA, so i'll be bringing that for you, too. i know when you get it, you'll say, 'oh i see that everywhere!' it's a common weed at higher elevations than here. should be in your hood or not far towards the mtns.

o

I think I've got roots on most everything I've promised from cuttings so far. I'll try and post a list this evening. Brenda, I've started you a San Isidro Moon, saw it on your wish list. I wouldn't count on it being hardy for us, though. Mine is potted and will be coming inside the garage under lights this winter. Didn't I give you nubicola before? If not, I've got another going and can put it aside for you.

Tammy, does Salvia nipponica 'Fuji Snow' ring a bell on your variegated one? The foliage and habit are very koyame-like, but smaller in scale. One nice feature is that the seedlings are also variegated.

o

Tammy,
I would still love a rooted piece of your purple multicolored rose, if you can get one. I know you said it is hard to get rooted. You were going to to try to bring me one last year but someone else accidently picked it up.
Still saving a spot for it, in case. :-)

Karen, for the quince, I would be happy with almost any hardy salvia - let me know what you rooted/have extras of! I didn't know that you could bring quince branches inside in the winter for forcing. Great idea! I need to remember to try that!

Thanks!
Jean

o

Does anyone have any Rue? How about butterfly weed seeds?
Jean

o

hmmm- i don't know, karen. doesn't ring a bell- but i looked at ALL the salvias- and they all mushed together! i could have sworn it was koyame. next time i'm down there i'll check. i couldn't believe that label disappeared.

jean- you have to be referring to veilchenblau, which is very easy to root. i can see if i can get one rooted before the swap or bring fresh cuttings. it's super vigorous, grape purple through pink as it blooms and non fragrant. i do have a fuchsia purple that's much smaller in plant size, not multicolored, once blooming, easy easy and is super fragrant. it's very tough to root, and i brought 1 plant before, so that may be what you're thing of. but i happen to have 1 if you want it (it's dehlia's purple). let me know which (or both) you want. oh, and i should have some fresh asclepia tuberosum seeds by then. no extra rue, but magick (i think) had some in spring. thanks, t

o

It wasn't me - I had mostly Hostas in the spring.

I've got a bunch of White Beauty Berry Seedlings, some Confederate Jasmine that I'm trying to root, & some native ferns.

I would love to find some Ruellia brittoniana

o

Tammy, I'd love to try a cutting of Veilchenblau, unrooted is fine. I got your Pink Climber to root last fall but struck out on the Veilchenblau.

o

Tammy,
Yes, you were right. Veilchenblau is the one I really want! It is stunning! Is it really nearly thornless? (a bonus)
(delia's purple rose is a hard one to google isn't it? lol).
I would love some Asclepias tuberosum (orange butterfly weed) seeds. I may have yellow Asclepias seeds for you some time in the future. I had some old seeds from a seed swap that I scattered on the grnd & poss 2 seedlings are coming up (hope so!) If so, I will collect seeds from them to share when they mature. I had an ostrich fern for you - the one that I thought last year had died, but it only went dormant. Well, it went dormant again! even w/ timer sprinklers on that bed. When it comes up again in the spring, I will pot it up for you, though.
I have these seeds available to trade for the Asclepias seeds: rose campion, sunset coneflwr, fancy frills coneflwr, lambs ear, purple low-growing spreading petunia, a few parsley seeds.

Does anyone have passion vine or any experience with it? It is supposed to be a great bfly host plant but also invasive? I was wondering HOW invasive in this area? Most comments @ how inv. it is were written by gardeners from CA and FL.
If anyone has some, and can root it, I would love to try it.

Also, does anyone know about rue & how bad it is as far as contact dermatitis? John, have you gotten 'burned' from yours at all? I am allergic to poison ivy and am wondering if that is an indication that it would cause problems for me and my kids, even if I put it an acre away from the house, on the side? I am actually talking about Rue (Ruta graveolens), host plant for giant blk swallowtails, but Ruellia brittoniana (Mexiacan petunia) looks like a great plant too, I agree.

I do have plain green salvia koyame that I can try to root, if there is interest. It had pretty yellow flwrs. I am not the most successful rooter, unless the plant is easy :-)

Ralph had Asclepias last fall. I traded with him for one, but the cats on it ate it and killed it b/c it never came back up. They had so little to eat. But they were worth losing the Asclepias for b/c now they are all over, and eating (hope not killing) my one parsley plant. If I get enough host plants, they should be happy with my nectar plants. Ralph, do you have one or two more to trade this year? I can bring you native ginger and viburnum.

o

rootdiggernc, I would like to trade for your jasmine, lemon balm mint, and a couple of bronze fennels, if available. I can offer a couple of large rocks in exchange, plus chocolate mint and spearmint. I will see if I can root some salvias and hardy gardenia.

o

jean

No dermatitis from Rue for me but I don't touch it much and Poison Ivy doesn't cause major problems with my skin (I have it year round thanks to the dog). The caterpillars that were on it ate it back to nothing! Not a leaf left. Don't know where they went and I hope they got enough to eat.

I have potted local Passion vine - Maypop. They are invasive but easy to recognise, so easy to weed out when small. I wouldn't plant it in a flowerbed, they are best in a wild area where they can ramble.

You could just bring fresh cuttings of your Koyame salvia to the swap - people could take them home to root.

o

Jean, our native Passiflora lutea grows wild in my meadow. The flowers are small and yellow but just as intricate as the incarnata, and it's a host for Gulf Fritillary. I let it wander where it will. I don't know how it's faring this summer with the heat and drought, but if I find something suitable for digging I'd be glad to bring it to the swap.

As for rue, I have had the rash. It contains psoralens which react with UV light to cause dermatitis, or phytophototoxicity. It wasn't fun at all. I'd plant it again, though, but I'd wear gloves and I wouldn't put it where I was going to brush up against it all the time. I will say that at the time I was pregnant and my skin was more reactive than usual, but I think anyone can get it given sufficient skin exposure and light.

o

Tammy I want your Dehlia's Purple if it isn't promised yet.

o

ok- jean first. yes, i'd love the ostrich fern come spring. i dug a few from PA/home this summer and we'll see if they took. they have roots to china, even the small ones. dehlia's purple is impossible to find on the net. i got it from my garden mentor and have no idea where she found it. she has something like 250 old varieties, and she's been gathering for many years, so who knows. since you want veilchenblau and alicia asked for the dehlia's, i'll give that one to her. i'll keep throwing trimmings in a pot like i've done before and cross my fingers that i get it to root again- it's much easier to dig a sucker of. yes, veilchenblau isn't too thorny. you'll still get scratched pretty good when you go to prune it though. the thorns it does have are a decent size and easy to see. the reason your asclepias didn't come back is the kind he gave you isn't perennial here- you'd have had to take it in- it's asclepias currasavica. you want a. tuberosum, which isn't quite as pretty but is dead easy and hardy here. and it develops a long tap root, so put it where you want it, because after it's about 6 mos old, it's nigh impossible to move. i'd be tickled with some yellow seeds if you get them. i don't need any of the others, but am always happy with rocks! :) i'd be really careful with maypop here- esp the native blue one- it is pretty invasive. you can always grow it in a big pot with no contact with the ground.

that said, karen, i'd love some p. lutea if you can dig some. i'm happy to bring you veilchenblau, and am thrilled you got pink pillar to root. that one is tricky, so kudos! it's one of my very faves.

i've never gotten the rash from rue, but have always worn gloves around it as my skin is pretty sensitive. i do get poison ivey pretty bad. fyi, about 10% of folks who get PI, also have reaction to the sap of english or boston ivy- so beware if you need to pull a patch. sorry magick- if it wasn't you i can't figure who it was i got the rue from in spring. jean, maybe you can reread that thread?

i have ruellia, but i don't know which one. it's about 18" high, flowers are 1.25" long & across, and its leaves tend to be a bit bronzy. i might be able to get 1 more plant; i have to dig one for alicia and brenda.

o

Thanks Tammy. I have a beautybush, do you want me to try to root some cuttings of it in return?

o

if it can handle like 4 hours sun, yes, but otherwise i'd better pass. they are so pretty but i just don't have much sun. thanks! t

o

Tammy, I'll look for the P. lutea this weekend. Now that I've a grand total of one rose cutting that rooted I thought I would try my hand at some Marie Pavie for the swap -- unfortunately the deer pruned it for me last night. Maybe I'll play with 'Pink Pet' instead, unless the herd revisits while I'm at work today.

o

Jean, I'm sorry but the nite blooming jasmine is set aside for someone. Lemon balm is no problem to dig once this heat lets up and I can get you at least one nice bronze fennel too. It has nice roots because I had wacked mine back when they started falling over everywhere so they're just now coming back out and are very sturdy plants. I think I have some seeds too if you like. Rocks and spearmint would be great.

Does anyone have the old fashioned 'Black' peppermint?

o

Tammy 4 hours of sun would probably be sufficient. Niche has one growing in part sun (that's where mine came from); they've got it growing up on a trellis since it tends to get a bit leggy. As I recall it did put on a very respectable show in the spring.

o

Jean- I have several small (10")Rue plants. The cats really love them and they are a bit chewed up, but should come back once it gets cooler. I have loads of butterflies this year and can only assume it is from having the host plants around.

i am looking for:
grasses- large or small
euphorbias
old fashioned bridal wreath spirea
peonies
bronze fennel
vinca
baptisia- any color
other deer and drought tolerant plants.

I have to trade:
plastic pots
new terra cotta pots up to 12"- 15"- some interesting shapes- long toms, jugs, fluted edge
white iris
maybe more stuff to come

o

Dana -- I'll put aside an agave for you. When you update your trade items, let me know. Otherwise, I'm open to daylilies. I have very few.
Carla B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here