Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

WANTED: Fall Swap Greensboro?

rootdiggernc
17 years ago

Checking to see how much interest there would be for a Fall Swap in the Greensboro area. Right now I'm considering Hagen Stone Park (has a shelter) and is about 7 miles south of I-40 off of 421 or maybe Oak Hollow with is south of I-40 on 68. Either would be a good central location for a lot of folks and easy directions. Since our Raleigh swap is earlier this year I though an (early) October date would work well. Let me know what you all think?

D

Comments (25)

• dtpforu
    17 years ago

Hey Rootdigger,

What with the prices of gas right now, I definitely would be interested in a GSO swap.

Count me in!

Vickie

• flower_power_nc
    17 years ago

If enough interest let me know. I am 2 hours away.
    Debbie

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Debbie and Vickie, will keep folks posted.

• antiquegardenfairy
    17 years ago

I'd be interested as well.

• nonews
    17 years ago

Put me on your list as a possible. Thanks. Nancy

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Glad to see some response! I just found a source for some 5 gal plastic buckets, so will be bringing some of those along.

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

Deb, I'm just outside Hillsborough, so this is closer for me than south Raleigh. Count me in.

• efine50
    17 years ago

Hey Deb
    I'd like to attend this one too!
    My vote is Hagan Stone Park (closer to me)....I know...I know....Oak Hollow closer to you....LOL
    Either works for me..
    Evelyn

• woodsworm
    17 years ago

Count me in, please.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yay Brenda and Ev, glad to see you can come.

We drove around to about 10 different parks today and much as I love Hagen Stone I just don't think it fits the bill. Tried to find somewhere that had, power, restrooms, close to parking, room to grow and a play area close enough for the kids. I also wanted something that had a little shade just in case it's hot that day. Didn't get everything we wanted, but we've narrowed it down to Oak Hollow or Barber. Both are a pretty straight shot off the interstates. Also have a couple backups in case the shelters are booked there. The really cool thing about Barber is at some point in the future it will be joined by another park called Gateway Gardens. I linked the plans for it below. You all are really going to love this once it's built. The kid's garden (plans) really look like a lot of fun, and that's just one small part of it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gateway Gardens (will connect to Barber)

• dtpforu
    17 years ago

So, do we have enough that we can start a special trades tab? I'll start one.

Please look for it.

Thanks,
    Vickie

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We have a DATE! October 7th. I just couldn't decide which would work best as far as fairs, frost, and other activities,... but when my son (which I've tried to get involved in gardening for years) said he could come on the 7th, that settled it, LOL!!! Reserved the shelter at Oak Hollow Lake Park,...Shelter #1. See you there and will post other info, directions and such ASAP.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BTTT

• K
    17 years ago

So glad you've got this going. We had planned to have another Triad swap in September (those who went to the June swap). I didn't see your announcement until today, and I don't see any of the people who went to the spring swap in this thread. It might help if you put something on the discussions page to let them know to look here.
    Unfortunately, Oct. 7 is probably not a good date for me. Is this set in stone?
    Kitty

• dtpforu
    17 years ago

Anyone else interested in a swap? I have tons of stuff I need to share and clean out of my gardens and hate to see it go to waste! Come one, come all to the fall swap!

Thanks,
    Vickie

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

I want to come!! I don't have a swap list, not even sure of what I need or will have to bring. I just want to join the party. Is there a nursery nearby?? Yeah, like I need to really know that. I am so bad. I'm planning on going to BB after the Raleigh swap. I'm planning on buying some winter annuals if they have them in September. TJ has graciously consented to teach me how to take cuttings. I should know by then what has rooted. But I will have to find a dessert that travels well. I'm afraid that the eclair pie will be a puddle after an hours drive. Shannon/Dirtrx

• dtpforu
    17 years ago

Oh Shannon, I so hope you do get to come. As for a nursery, oh yes! We have a couple, and I'll personally take you around if you like. Also, I will invite you to come to my house. We've been trading so long, I think you need to see where all the plants I've been getting have been going. (Who knows, you might just have to help me clean some out!).
    Vickie

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, I've been out of town since last Wednesday, but I'm back now and will try to keep up with this in between the wedding stuff.

Kitty, yes this is set. I've already booked the shelter and can't change now, especially with the wedding coming up afterwards (21st). From what I understand they're pretty booked up now too.

Shannon, I'm so glad you're coming! I understand that's too far to bring something that would be melty. I think we're going to stick with finger foods for this 1st time and keep it simple.

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Vickie- I'll be glad to help you clean out your beds! Do you think that's what they mean in the nursery rhyme regarding all the pretty maids in a row- ladies standing around tending the garden lol.

I can do finger foods! Its hard to imagine that there will be a chill in the air by October. Shannon

• K
    17 years ago

I figured. So sorry I can't come, but it looks like you have a nice group.
    I took the liberty of posting about this on the discussion page as you may have seen, because I thought some of the people from our spring swap might be interested. People must be still finishing up summer business...

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, Vickie has decided to have mercy on me and take over things for this swap. I'll still be around and am still coming (with plants in tow), just need to focus on other stuff right now. Vickie, you're a sweetie, Thank You!!!

Kitty, I'm so sorry this didn't work for you. Fall is a busy time for a lot of people, so much going on and especially for those with school age kids. Thanks for posting this on the main board, hadn't gotten that far yet and was out of town for a while. Can you make it to the Raleigh Swap Sept 9th? We have a blast!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BTTT....... who else is planning on coming?

• formernygardener
    17 years ago

Just heard about your plant swap, will there be plants for sale? I am new to gardening here and don't have items for a swap. When is the swap? I would love to meet other NC gardeners. I live in Winston-Salem.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi for, no we don't sell, but come even if you don't have anything to swap this 1st time around. Some of us will bring extras for the newbies. You can always bring some finger type foods or drinks or snacks. We just all get together and have a good time.

• dtpforu
    17 years ago

I'm going to be taking this over for Deb as she's planning a wedding. Oh boy! Never done anything like this before. Any suggestions will be appreciated. You guys can email me at dtpforu@hotmail.com if you like.

I'll leave information on where the swap is going to take place, time, directions, rules, etc. (As soon as deb sends them to me). LOL

Thanks,

Vickie