Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_near_eno

WANTED: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

brenda_near_eno
17 years ago

So first I thought, it is too early to start this post and about how exhausted I was last swap. Then I thought how we have to break our spring record of what? over 300 posts? Anyway, post away if you have something special or if you're looking for something special. I guess Tammy and John are taking care of some labeled stakes, and it looks like the consensus is to get there early if you're doing specials. (Last spring I was there an hour early and still never had time to take a breath.) I hope to get to know at least a few new traders this time.

Shari and I qualify for the "most in need of an Intervention", because we already arranged a 'Bright Edge' yucca for a 'Autumn Moon' camellia in mid-June. Now that you can point to us as the sickos, please feel free to trade away as obsessively as you like. As last time, many of us posted our specials on our "Trade" pages as well.

Comments (150)

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sally, what are you looking for that we might trade for a tapioca?

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

Sally, I'd love the tapioca and have you down for aspidistra.

Is anybody interested in seedlings from Cypella coelestis (will also have seeds), Callicarpa americana (white berried form), or Vernonia glauca? I brought a few in the spring to the general swap but they didn't seem to be very popular. I think I actually chased somebody down and made them take the Cypella at the end of the day.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Karen, I'd like to try some of the cypella seed. Googled it and it's lovely! Will be iffy in my 7a zone, but would like to try it here and see how it does.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Karen I've got Cypella coelestis but will always take more. I'm interested in the Vernonia glauca and the white American beautyberry as well. I don't have anything tropical except for Cassia alata, and Sept is late for putting that in. I still have seed however. I have a couple of iris you might in interested in: Dusky Challenger, which is a deep metallic purple, and Samurai Warrior, which is a deep red. What other kinds of things are you looking for? I have a LOT of stuff in pots right now -- I guess I need to start cataloguing it.

Rootdiggernc,
    I couldn't find the Atamascos I was thinking of digging for you, because they're no longer marked and the area is currently covered in Carolina bog mint. Since the Atamascos go dormant in summer a spring trade would probably be best. I do have a Rose Gentian you might be interested in (Sabatia dodecandra var. foliosa); it's been blooming for over a month and is fragrant. One of those fragrances that's sweet and lemony at the same time. I will try cuttings and if that doesn't work I should be able to divide it.

• keithrnjd
    17 years ago

Brenda,

Do you have any of your "love child" available? If not, I am in need of some cast iron plants and also anything for dry shade.

Sally

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

Karen,
    I would like to try a Cypella coelestis seedling. What can I bring you for a Cypella coelestis seedling and some hot lips? Would you like a Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink' and a few iris cristata or something else?

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

Alicia, I've got you down for Cypella, Vernonia, and white beautyberry. The Iris Dusky Challenger looks fabulous, and I'm very interested in Sabatia if you get your cuttings to root. I've also been looking for celandine poppy and Virgina bluebell, which I didn't even know I wanted until I saw them being traded last spring, and other natives like Eranthis and Dodecatheon. Is there anything else on your wish list?

Jean, I've got plenty of stachys and Iris cristata, but if you're willing to try rooting your Azalea 'Summer Lyric' I'd love that. I haven't rooted azaleas but I think your best bet would be to layer a branch over the winter. I'd be glad to bring you Cypella and Hot Lips this fall and get the azalea next spring if it roots.

Rootdigger, I have plenty of cypella seed so you should be able to try it several places if you want. I've seen that PDN rates it to zone 7b, but it's been hardy for me here in Durham for the past 5 years, and we're 7a.

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

Oops, didn't mean to imply eranthis is native to the US. One of those 'fast fingers' things.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Karen, if you've taken any cuttings from a blue or purple salvia that's not black and blue salvia I'd be especially interested. If not I'd like one of any sort of salvia cutting you've got. I have you down for the iris DC, Rose Gentian, celandine poppy, and Va. bluebell.

Sally, I have some things that have done well in dry shade here: white wood aster, downy skullcap (Scutellaria incana), and Small's beardtongue. I also have a seedling from a bleeding heart from Plant Delights that has done very well here. If you're interested in any of these let me know. I'd like to trade for a Colocasia or tapioca.

Brenda, I'd be interested in a Nikko blue cutting and "Honeycomb" buddleia if you still have any that aren't spoken for. I can root a cutting from my beautybush. Are you still looking for pyracantha? I have some seedlings. I also have some woodland phlox potted up. If you've got that I have some La iris (I'd describe them as orchid pink/lavender) that I can dig.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

I forgot to add: anyone interested in a Muhly capillaris or Eragrostis elliottii (Blue Love Grass)? I'm going to move the blue love grass in any case since there's a big Carolina bush pea laying all over it.

Also, I can try to root some goldflame honeysuckle if anyone is interested.

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Ooh I can't wait for the swap! I would love to have a special seed swap area. Brenda, would love to meet you guys after the other swap but I would be there just to drool over your good fortune and talk dirt. Let me know what you guys decide to do. Shannon/Dirtrx

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Alicia, I would be happy to do honeycomb and Nikko for a LA iris and pyracantha seedling. Is there anything special you are looking for that I might have - cuz I'd love to trade for a bit of Penstemon tenuis, sky blue aster, aromatic aster, or Penstemon tenuis.

Sally, Lovechild for tapioca would be super. Would you also like a native tiarella or tiarella 'Iron Cross' for dry shade?

I have cuttings rooting of more honeycomb, Salvia leucantha 'Eder', and Perilla magilla. I am trying Salvia nemorosa 'Blue Hill', but I'm not going to promise it yet, since I've never tried propping it before. I have a pot of Phlomis russelliana for whoever it was that had phlomis on their "looking for" list - wasn't it Dana? Of all things, I don't have lemon verbena, so if anyone wants to trade for it cuz I love tea made with it? Also have more of the silver plectranthus I brought last fall and Coleus 'Inky Fingers' if anyone wants to overwinter tenders. I am going to try rooting some Dicliptera resupinata, which is hardy for me but shouldn't be. I can dig more black cohosh and asarum from the logged area if anyone is specifically interested, but I get dozens of seed ticks whenever I go back there now, so I won't do it unless someone wants some - both do well in dry shade.

• keithrnjd
    17 years ago

Brenda,

Thanks, I would love an 'Iron Cross' as well!

Sally

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karen, I'd like some Veronia if there's something else I can get for you?

Jean, If you still have some, I'd like to try some Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink'. Was there something that I have that you might like? I think we already have Buddleia 'Honeycomb'and Caryopteris 'Dark Knight' for Klems hardy gardenia and helianthus 'Lemon Queen', right?

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Brenda, I'd be interested in your native tiarella, Kirengoshoma, and Leonotis for Pestemon tenuis, Sky blue aster, and aromatic aster. I would also be interested in black cohosh -- are you still looking for summersweet?

• keithrnjd
    17 years ago

Alicia: Sorry, I forgot to respond to your earlier post. I would like to trade my tapioca for that bleeding heart seedling.

Everyone: If anyone is interested in EE 'Illustris', I have several of those. I also have some small seedlings of my Hibiscus gradiflora, so if anyone wants those, please let me know.

Sally :-)

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

Brenda - I will take some cuttings of my Lemon Verbena tonight. I've never propagated it before so I have no clue as to what level of success there will be. So far everything seems to be rooting. I have quite a collection of lemon flavored herbs and I don't know why... Did you bring the Dicliptera with you from Phoenix? I have never heard of it. Looks interesting.

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

Sally,
    I would like a EE 'Illustris'. What else can I bring you?

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Sally, that sounds good.

John, rooting lemon verbena is really easy. I have an extra that I can pot up in any case.

Brenda, do you want a Short's aster too or 2 Aromatic asters?

I put special trades and what I have in pots for trading on my exchange page.

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

Brenda,
    Yes, I will bring a Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink' for you.
    I would love a Lipstick or tiarella (or hydrandea, lacecap or other).

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, Alicia, we are set for Salvia 'Love Child', sassafras, Honeycomb Buddleia, Nikko Hydrangea, native tiarella, Kirengoshoma, Leonotis, Black Cohosh, and Cary'Dark Knight' for Penstemon tenuis, Short's Aster, Sky Blue Aster, Aromatic Aster, serviceberry, La iris, pyrocantha, and jri, right? It's starting to sound like we should just have tea together in my garden and yours sometime with trowels and clippers handy!

Jean, I'll bring you tiarella for sure for the stachys - which one, 'Iron Cross' or native? I'll start some Lipstick today and bring it as well unless it fails to root - usually it's easy, but in this heat it's hard to count anything for sure. (Did you get your questions answered on rooting hydrangea cuttings? If not, if you email me your phone number, we could chat about it.)

John, I would be most thankful for the lemon verbena and amarcrinum for zombie, cardinal flower, and Salvia 'Love Child'.

I have a couple of seedlings of Calamintha grandiflora. I first saw this plant at BB, and it is a star in my dappled shade and clay. Would like to find good homes for the 2 babies.

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

Brenda, there's a Vernonia with your name on it. I'd love one of your Calamintha seedlings. Alicia, I'd love to trade for a cutting from Verbena 'Blue Princess'. I've got a cutting of Salvia mexicana 'Tula' already rooted, if you're interested. That one's been hardy for me, although like most of these salvias it will need some extra protection this winter from a fall planting. I'm planning to do my cuttings this evening, and I'll get some from the other blues/purples for you.

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

Karen,
    I will try to layer a branch over the winter of my azalea 'Summer Lyric' for you for spring :-)
    That sounds like a good idea! I would love to share it with you.

Brenda, I would like to try Ironcross. Thank you!

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Brenda, that's right. I'll have 2 aromatic aster for you as well as the Short's aster, etc.

Karen that sounds great.

Yotedog, I can trade iris (probably Jesse's Song or Dusky Challenger") for "Black Knight" Buddleia.

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

I can't keep up with all this, so if I missed something, please forgive me. Brenda - yes phlomis is on my wish list - would love some. I also looked up your dicliptera and it sounds perfect (said it's left alone by rodents). Also would love some blach cohosh if you're going to be digging some - I don't want you to get ticks just for me though. I know how you feel - there are certain parts of my yard that I know I will get chiggers if I go there, so I only will go there for a very good reason.
    Dana

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dana, No problem. Can you part with some hydrangea arborescens, Argentine Skies, or Emerald Blue Phlox?

Hey Shannon, What are you looking for this fall? You are always so generous in your trade quantities - I fall deeper into debt to you with every swap.

• keithrnjd
    17 years ago

Jean, Great, I put you down for the Illustris as well. More Stachys is fine, unless you have any salvias or other drought tolerant sun lovers!

Thanks,

Sally ;-)

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

Hi Sally,
    That sounds good. I will bring you 2 Stachys :-)
    (and let you know later if I get any salvias rooted).

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

I can't keep up with this anymore and don't want to mess anything up so here's my special trades list. PLEASE let me know if I messed something up? I'll keep this updated on my Exchange page under the seeds category. Thanks everyone!

Special Trades for the Sept 9 Raleigh Swap...

Ais... perennial Ageratum and Curcurma 'Emperor' for Hydrangea taube and Curcurma 'Snow Queen'

Alicia... couple different Lamiums for Doublefile Viburnum

Brenda... Malva Mystic Merlin and a BIG Hedychium White Butterfly ginger for climbing Hydrangea, Salvia Lovechild and Salvia Lipstick.

Dana... wants ?..... for Viburnum 'Shasta'

Jean... Brug/Frosty Pink, Ageratum, Black Stem EE, Lamium for Gardenia Kleims Hardy, Ostrich fern, Viburnum and maybe Salvia Blue Hill and Dryopteris erythrosora

Karen... Monstera, Brug/Frosty Pink for Xanthosoma jeoquinni and Colocasia jenningsii. Plus some cypella seed! :)

Sharil... wants Pink Evening Primrose

Tammy... wants Ageratum, Monstera(?)

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deb, That's good, but I thought we were also going to do hydrangea 'Maculata' for your 'Taube' if you get it to root?

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Brenda, Ais said she was trying to root some H.taube and I ask her if I could have some if she got it to root. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I think you ask her about it also. I was also looking for H. tardiva which no one has so far.

So how's it looking Ais? :)

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You're so right, thanks for helping me get it, Deb. I can't believe the cuttings are rooting in all this heat. I was potting up little balls of new roots at 6am today, so they wouldn't have to be naked in the middle of the day. Now if they can just make it without water while we're at the beach, things will be keen.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Brenda, I took a couple brug cuttings, stuck them into a pot of soil and then put the whole pot down into a pan (washpan size) of water for a few hours and they never even wilted. However, the little time it took to do that I felt pretty wilty myself. Give them a last drink before you back out of the drive and have a good time! A beach trip sounds wonderful!

• Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

Brenda, that works for me. I've already got a hydrangea potted up.
    Dana

• aisgecko
    17 years ago

John I am planning to bring you some Tasmanian violets for you fairplot tomorrow (Aug 5th) and I will go ahead and bring you another 'Mars'. Mine are mostly green with just a hint of purple too but they are more purple earlier in the year and stay purple better as they mature it seems.

So far the hydrangeas seem ok, but no signs of actual roots. I dropped a couple of branches down into the ground just in case.

Alicia I will try to root the 'Nikko', but you might ask Brenda too. She seems to have more experience with rooting stuff.

Jean, I'll save a 'blue wave' for you if I have one.

Karen, I have enough 'Summer Snow' to get you one. Do you have more 'hot lips' Salvia?

Time goes fast! Only five more weeks. I'll go ahead and post my trades on my page. -Ais.

• aisgecko
    17 years ago

Jean, I fogot to answer you. I don't have 'blue curls'. I think someone else did this spring.

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

ok, thanks Ais. I thought it looked like a neat plant.

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

Ais - do you want me to bring you the cistus cuttings tomorrow even though they may not be rooted in?? I can probably scoop them out of the media with little damage - or we can wait til the swap.

• aisgecko
    17 years ago

John either way is fine with me. I figured I'd bring yours and I can go ahead and plant the tasmanian violets wherever you point me, then I'll stay and help until the heat wilts me :) -Ais.

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

Ais, I'll put a 'Hot Lips' aside for you, a cutting that I rooted last fall. I've got more salvias that I started last Monday. I should know next week what's likely to be ready for the swap, although I think the 'Anthony Waterer' is already rooted. Gotta love this weather for rooting salvia cuttings. Ambient humidity is all it takes.

Jean, I think it might have been Brenda with the 'Blue Curls', but I have it too. You might be better to get seeds this winter, though, since it's a self-seeding annual.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Anyone want to swap Hibiscus coccineus for a pink or white hibiscus? It'd have to be a coccineus or moscheutos hybrid because they'd be going into a spot that stays consistently wet. A seed trade this fall would work for me if a plant trade isn't feasible. In fact, that would probably be easier because these coccineus are monsters.

• raven20
    17 years ago

I'm brand new to the swap and can't wait! I was out of town for the Spring swap and have been waiting for the Fall date. I've got to get busy potting up divisions.

Brenda, I'd love some Black Cohosh and Bloodroot if anything below interests you.
    Karen or Alicia if you have any 'Hot Lips' to spare I'm interested and any shorter salvia varieties that you might have.

I'm also in need of:
    Purple coneflower since the voles got mine last year.
    Brunnera - especially the silver varieties
    Gaura Siskiyou (pink)
    Tiarella
    Astilbe Peach Blossom
    Agapanthus
    Variegated Hakone Grass
    Forget-me-not (myosotis)
    Hellebores (I must be the only gardener without any)

I have to offer:
    Aster Snowflurry
    Dogwood seedlings
    Tree seedlings - while oak, maple, tulip poplar
    Chinese Indigo (Indigofera kirilowii)
    Native Heucherra seedlings - green variety that tolerates sun or shade and is pretty much indestructable
    Wild ginger (it's native - I don't know the strain)
    Native ferns (sorry, don't know the strains but I can email you photos if interested)
    Daylilies 'Paper Butterfly' and 'Stargazer'
    Epimedium Rubrum
    Purple Creeping Thyme
    Light Purple Phlox (I don't know the variety) and David
    Japanese Iris 'Joy Peters'
    Amsomia Blue Star
    Iris Cristata (native)
    Veronica Georgia Blue
    Geranium Cranesbill 'Blood Red' (pink/purple flower)
    Chrysanthemum White Bomb

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Raven, I'd be interested in trading Hot Lips sage for the Chinese Indigo.

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

Raven, since Alicia's got you Hot Lips, how about hellebore seedlings (H. foetidus, H. x orientalis, and possibly H. argutifolius if there are any left from where I dug them in the spring) and purple coneflower? I've got some salvias rooting, but let me know what your height limit is so I can see if there's anything you would be interested in. I'd love to trade for Aster Snowflurry, Epimedium Rubrum, and Chrysanthemum White Bomb.

Are you by any chance 'thekoop' who e-mailed me? If so, I do have white beautyberry I could bring you.

• yotedog
    17 years ago

Karen-w--Ooops, sorry, I am the koop who emailed you! Guess I should have answered here. My apologies, and thanks for the Beautyberry! Mliss

• raven20
    17 years ago

Excellent! Alicia I'll bring you the Chinese Indigo and Karen I'll bring the Aster Snowflurry, Epimedium Rubrum, and Chrysanthemum White Bomb. I'd like to keep the salvia at 3' or under so it doesn't overwhelm my garden. Look for Liz (aka raven20).

Brenda, I'd still be interested in the Black Cohosh and Bloodroot.

And I forgot to mention that I have plenty of catmint (Nepata faassenii) for anyone who wants it.

• dogridge
    17 years ago

I am new to the forum and am excited about the swap.

I am in need of:
    nepeta- low growing variety
    white daylily
    serviceberry tree
    white beauty berry
    vinca minor- need lots, will take unrooted cuttings or long stems
    creeping thyme- for between pavers
    creeping fig
    liriope, non varigated- need lots
    foxglove- pink or white, tall varieties
    prostrate rosemary

I have:
    creeping raspberry GC
    five leaf Akeba vine (chocolate vine)
    mint
    thyme- unknown variety approx 1 ft tall x 2 ft wide at maturity
    1-2' native redbuds
    native viburnum
    can try to root cuttings of: camelia sasanqua 'Kanjiro', climbing rose 'Eden'

Thanks everyone! See you at the swap.
    Krystol

• dogridge
    17 years ago

I am also interested in japanese iris and curly willow tree

• Jean Hidden
    17 years ago

Hi dogridge,
    I can bring you some liriope and vinca minor. I am interested in rooted camelia sasanqua 'Kanjiro' and climbing rose 'Eden'.
    Jean

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Krystol,

I can bring a rooted white-fruiting Callicarpa japonica in exchange for rooted or cutting of Climbing Eden if you want.

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities