Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

o
WANTED: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

Posted by brenda_near_eno Z7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 14, 06 at 10:08

So first I thought, it is too early to start this post and about how exhausted I was last swap. Then I thought how we have to break our spring record of what? over 300 posts? Anyway, post away if you have something special or if you're looking for something special. I guess Tammy and John are taking care of some labeled stakes, and it looks like the consensus is to get there early if you're doing specials. (Last spring I was there an hour early and still never had time to take a breath.) I hope to get to know at least a few new traders this time.

Shari and I qualify for the "most in need of an Intervention", because we already arranged a 'Bright Edge' yucca for a 'Autumn Moon' camellia in mid-June. Now that you can point to us as the sickos, please feel free to trade away as obsessively as you like. As last time, many of us posted our specials on our "Trade" pages as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

Hey, it's only what - eight weeks away? That's just enough time to get cuttings rooted.

Off the top of my head - I'm still looking for lindera benzoin. Anybody got some they want to trade?

I haven't started anything for the swap yet and will likely bring mostly daylilies except for special requests. I have gobs that need purging. If there is anything on my list that anyone wants, please speak up soon so I can get them started if they require rooting.

Tammy - I still have your muhly grass that I forgot in the spring.

Dana

o

Purging is good! I have been spending way too much time admiring blooms posted on the daylily forums lately. I have so few I'd be happy grabbing whatever you bring in the general swap. I got Whooperee and Siloam Double Success last fall and I love them.

o

I'll probably be bringing some daylilies. Hopefully I can find the names for some, or at least the color. I'm also trying to get some hydrangeas rooting. I have some baby texas star hibiscus and some wild mallow seedlings(either swamp rosemallow or cimsoneyed rosemallow I think). Other than that I have no clue what I'm bringing. I divided so much for the spring I'm not sure if anything needs dividing, but I always find something.
Brenda, I would adore a 'lovechild' salvia if you have enough. I'll have to look around and see what else I can offer up in exchange. -Ais.

o

Dana,
I am interested in your:
- salvia 'San Carlos Festival'
- salvia guaranitica 'Argentina Skies'
- Russian sage
- ajuga 'Bronze Beauty'
- buddleia - Honeycomb
Do you have cuttings of honeycomb to start rooting? :-)
I thought I would mention these now, in case you want to start thinking about what you have, can root, and can bring/trade. I will contact you later with a list of plants and named DLs I have that you may be interested in...Thanks!!
Jean

o

What I know I will be bringing - Brugmansias (big and blooming, way overgrown in 1 gallon pots, orange, white and cream colored). Tigridia, like 5 bulbs per pot, mixed colors, very showy, sometimes winter hardy otherwise treat them like gladiolus. Amarcrinum, nice pink trumpets on stocky stubby stems (these guys don't fall over!), perennial, long blooming, fast growing/spreading (clumps). A few dahlias, they will be named and most likely in bloom by swap time (I usually grow the smaller and single forms).

What I need - Lobelia cardinalis - I'll even take seeds if they're fresh (I have lots of old seed from the seed swap 2 years ago).

What my neighbor needs - I have a psycho neighbor who normally pesters me while I work in the garden. He has now taken up gardening on his own and has completely gone off the deep end over hummingbirds and wildlife attractant plants. I have been sharing my babies with him and he has been providing me with smoked and barbequed meat (the boy knows how to grill!!!). I'm not gonna tell ya what he is offering me for red salvias, lobelias or anything hummingbird-y, otherwise you would simply bypass me for the goodies. Needless to say I will be clawing my way through the swap tables while I drool about the weeks worth of perfectly smoked food waiting for me when I get home. I will probably make a stash stake just for him if any of you are feeling generous - for now his name will be 'Skunkape',,, its a long story.

o

I have honeycomb and San Carlos rootable, if Dana doesn't have, Jean. John, I'll bring you lobelia cardinalis, red salvias, and/or hummingbird-magnet Agastache 'Blue Fortune' for some of your Amarcrinum - I know you've brought it before but I always miss out on it at the general swap. Did Lara and Mitch ever call you about re-doing the rain garden at the fair? (Lara is also on NCNPS Board, but that rain garden is an extension office thing.) Glad it's working out with NCNPS as well - I'll help with the design and planting too, but I'm happy to have energetic cohorts - it's 42 miles for me to the fairgrounds! Did you send the letter to Pam at SS? I think even a small display like the Raulston entrance would be killer.

o

Jean - the salvias shouldn't be a problem and the ajuga is certainly not a problem. But my buddleia croaked a couple of months ago. Better take Brenda up on her offer for that, as I don't have anything to root from anymore. I will try to root the Russian sage, but my results from that have been hit or miss in the past.
Dana

o

Does anyone have lamium that has pale foliage? I remember seeing one with gold foliage in a nursery in Pennsylvania, it looked like a sunlit place on a cloudy day.

o

Hi Brenda,
I would like to try your honeycomb, either rooted (better) or unrooted (I will try it - my first year to try to root with mixed results)!

Does anyone have Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips' (Hot Lips Sage)? I had a small one that died in the spring when I went out of town.

Jean

o

Jean, I can bring 'Hot Lips'. I rooted a bunch last winter and forgot to bring them to the spring swap.

John, I'd love Tigridia and Amarcrinum if you have some to spare. I'll start rooting salvias and other hummingbird magnets this weekend if that'll keep you in vittles.

o

Wow! What great news, Karen - I would love that!

Does anyone have Dicliptera suberecta available for trade? Or tried to root it? It seems like such a neat plant!
Jean

o

Would anyone like any tree seedlings? White oaks, american holly, beech, 7-leaf hickory? Or any Viburnum, ginger, variegated vinca major, vinca minor, liriope?
Jean

o

Jean, I started some honeycomb cuttings yesterday.Of the butterfly bushes, I've had the most trouble rooting honeycomb, but I have plenty of time before the swap if the first batch fails to root. How about some perennial sunflower in trade?

o

Sure, Brenda! Let me look for some. I put them around in the yard, out near the edges of the woods. I actually got them at the spring swap, in a little 6 pack as little seedlings :-)
Jean

o

I'm looking for Vinca minor and/or major. Don't need a ton of it but would like some. And I like any sort of viburnum. A beech would be fun but I doubt I have the room for it.

I have Dicliptera - in my less than perfect sun yard it rarely blooms but it grows and fills in quite nicely. Makes a nice plant even without the flowers, and it has regularly come back year after year for me.

I have a ton of freaky tropicals for patio plants but rather than make extra work for anyone I plan on just making cuttings this summer and over wintering them in my hoophouse and offering them up at the Spring Swap 2007.

o

Jean, I'd be interested in one of your beech trees. I can root some "Hot Lips" for you.

o

Hi Alicia,
I will get you one or more beech trees, and would love to trade for as many Hot Lips, rooted, that you can spare! Just love that plant! (had one but it was young and died on me when I went to the beach).
Thanks!
Jean

o

Hi Trianglejohn,
I will bring you pots of both vinca minor and vinca major (variegated). I have pics I can send you of these - they are beautiful when they are in bloom in the sping and nice the rest of the year too. They are tough and drought tolerant once established, and grow well in clay soil. I will also bring you Viburnum - how many would you like? I would love some Dicliptera suberecta, and 2 white Brugmansia and 1 orange Brugmansia.
I might like to also try a Amarcrinum (do you dig them up in the fall?).
Jean

o

The Amarcrinum I have are left out all year. The ones I'm bringing are in pots and they were even left out in the pots all winter. They are a hybrid between Amaryllis and Crinum. I don't know if there are different types of this mixture. I know that not all Amaryllis can handle winter. There is a famous Amarcrinum with soft pink trumpets named after some guy - mine look just like them but they were given to me unnamed so I don't know which one they really are.

If we have another mild winter you could probably get the brugmansias to overwinter if you get them in the ground as soon after the swap as possible (and then bury them in a pile of leaves after first frost). The white ones I have are very cold hardy but its flowers are not as large as the normal hybrids (this one is a wild species).

I only need a few viburnums or even just one. I need them for my native woodland area where I have some already. The vinca I need for my front yard where I have tried it before and it eventually died (hard to believe with vinca, I know). The only survivor is a small sprig of 'Illumination' the variegated Vinca minor. I have improved more of the soil in that area so I hope that more things will survive now.

o

Hey John, what else do you need for your native woodland - I'm still mining the 40 acres near my house that was logged in January. Lots of dry-shade poor-soil natives like black cohosh, Christmas fern, redbuds, still some bloodroot that need rescuing. Let me know if I can dig you anything and I'll reserve it for a cooler transplanting day (if we ever get one).

I'm always looking for unusual salvias and agastaches - and now I've added impatiens to the obsession list. Already have capensis, zombensis, omeiense - looking for others.

Is anyone interested in having a 15-minute seed swap after lunch in the parking lot? I don't want to add much to our already swamped swap time, but I know many of us will be winter-sowing again. (Shannon is my WS role model.) Maybe it would be too much?

o

Brenda - This winter I am gonna do some serious soil ammending in my front woodland garden. I've been piling on the fallen leaves for the past 5 years and it is finally building up a thin layer of topsoil/leaf mold so some things might have a chance at survival. One wildflower that popped up all on its own this spring was Asclepias variegata. It was in bloom for more than a month and just glowed white amoungst the deep shade. I waited for it to make a seed pod but it never did - wahhhhhh. For this area I am looking for low growing woodland plants. I have footpaths of moss winding around it so I don't want anything tall to block the view. The biggest problem is watering it but someday I might get around to installing an irrigation system. The soil is weak, the light level is low, things survive but rarely thrive. I have the dwarf ground cover type of bamboo and it has only one tiny sprig that has come up one foot away from the main plant - and that took three years to happen. The Oak leaf hydrangea now has 5 stems but it just barely blooms and is only about 2 feet high and it was one of the first things I planted in the yard when I moved here in 2000. This is the bed where all invasives go to die - nothing seems to thrive in it except the moss. So, yes, send any dry woodland native my way but I may be overwintering them in pots til I get the soil situation improved.

The only freaky impatiens I have is a tropical species sold as 'Jungle Gold'. It makes a swollen thick stem so it ends up looking like a bonsai tree. Nice golden small flowers, not too many leaves, likes dry and doesn't need much light. I use it as a patio plant. I'm gonna try cuttings sometime this year but so far I have not.

o

Unbelievably weird, John. Just last month I found a strange new plant blooming by my mailbox - never seen one before - turned out to be Asclepias variegata. Very cool flower head. Mine did not set seed either. I'd love a jungle gold if you ever root it. Most of my woodland is unimproved compacted dry clay - unless you call the excrement of the frequent deer feasts organic amendments! The mailbox area is so dry that desert primrose won't grow there.

o

I saw Asclepias variegata this year too! Now I'm going to have to go plow through the blackberry to see if I can find seed.

John, I can bring you Aster divericatus for your dry shade if you don't already have it. I have some areas where it's the only thing that looks happy. Iris cristata is also pretty tough, and I could give you some of that from my native patch.

o

Karen - I have Aster divercatus or one of its look-alike cousins. The best thing about it in the depleted soil area is that it stays nice and compact and seems to bloom later. In the richer soiled back yard I have it everywhere except where I want it.

I've tried iris crestata but not in this area. I don't remember it dying but I also don't know where it is.. hmmm. I always thought of it as a rich wet soil plant.

My Asclepias variegata was in pretty deep shade and only got to about 9 inches tall with a 3 inch ball of white flowers. If a person could get a drift of them going it would be stunning. As it was, you had to stumble upon it to notice it along my mossy path. I'm just hoping that all the look-alike plants nearby turn out to also be A. variegata.

Jean - I don't need to see photos. I like the way Vinca minor looks even when not in bloom. I even like the wild form better than the variegated 'Illumination' form in the yard. Illumination works great in a pot though (which is probably what I will do with the lone survivor out in the woods). They had some new color forms at the big Arboretum Gala. I bid on them in the auction but got outbid.

I am slowly limbing up all the tall trees along the edge of this woodland garden which is allowing more and more light in to the forest floor. Someday it will be a mossy paradise.

o

Iris cristata will bloom and grow in the most inhospitable areas (like under my pine trees). It thrives in dry shade and doesn't like to be mulched.

o

John, I've got a native patch of Iris cristata on a dry clay slope in the woods. It's been trampled by the kids on the way to the school bus, trenched by the power company, and run over by a tractor dragging a huge fallen oak. It still grows and blooms every year without any tending by me. I can bring you some of that if you want. It's been tested, believe me. I've also got some Carex siderostricta 'Variegata' that looks very nice in shade and has been suprisingly drought tolerant.

o

Karen - Yes Yes Yes... Don't demolish your wild stand of iris if you don't want to - I have a sourse for a few plants. I just gotta git off my lazy a$$ and go dig them. Do they spread fast? I swear I got some in the past and put them somewhere. I like them growing up through the moss.

I have a few Carex species and all of them are doing quite well - but there is always room for one more if it likes dry shade.

Anything anybody wants??? Most of my showier plants are tropicals but I do have a lot of stuff hidden here and there. You name it and I'll try rooting some.

o

Jean, which viburnum do you have? I have Liatris spicata 'Kobold' from your list.

o

Shari,
I have a native viburnum that has an ovate leaf but I don't have know its name (I think I have pictures of it blooming in the spring). I have have maple leaf viuburnum also - would have to look to see if I have the maple leaf. If you are interested, I would love your Liatris spicata 'Kobold'.
Jean

o

Jean, I would be happy with your unknown viburnum. I like surprises. I can bring you more than one of the liatris- do you still have some 'Lemon Queen' sunflower?

o

John, I've got no problem bringing you some iris. I've got some already dug and waiting for a new home, courtesy of Piedmont Electric. I'll bring the Carex, too, and if I get around to refreshing my Carex 'Evergold' I can bring a division of that one. Have you tried cyclamen back there? I don't have enough to share yet, but it's done well in my dry shade.

What tropicals are you growing? I have a real penchant for plants that aren't hardy here. In particular I'm looking for Alocasia macrorrhiza 'Variegata', which I lost last winter.

o

I have Alocasia 'Frydek' and Dichorisandra thyrisiflora Blue Ginger (which should be rooted by the time of the swap).

o

Alicia, I have some of the pale (white) lamiums. Will see if I can root some.

John, would love some of the Blue Ginger if you have any extra.

I potted several monsteras this summer when I cut mine back and then stuck them over in the woods to live or die. I started them early spring and they've been ignored, but they've every one put out new growth and are looking good! I've also got some hardy begonias, Hot Lips Salvia and perennial Ageratum which were potted last spring. There's more but that's off the top of my head for now.

Not sure what I'm wanting right now, but will get back here by the end of the week (company right now) and see what else I have to swap.

Oh, I'm sure I can bring some Frosty Pink Brug cuttings by then too. Mine came back from the ground (very late) this past winter so it's a tough one.
D

o

Alicia, I have lamium 'petite point' but I haven't overwintered it so I can't vouch for it's hardiness but I think I'll try rooting some. It's not exactly pale foliage, so might not be what you are looking for, but it has pretty dramatic foliage. Mine hasn't flowered and hasn't gone dormant like the PDN website said it would. If they root and you want one it's yours.

John I SO want a blue ginger, but houseplants die under my "tender" care. I put 'em in the ground and let nature take care. But I'm tempted... I did manage to keep that furry looking wandering jew thing alive from last fall. I *think* you brought it. I saw them planted outside at the arboretum so I wondered if I could put it outside with any luck. Any thoughts?

Brenda, I really want one of your new 'lovechild' salvias if you have any to spare. I'm not sure what to offer. By the way, you were right about that viola dissecta. Seedlings are everywhere! I really loved it this spring though so maybe if I just keep the one plant...

I'm currently trying to root 3 types of hydrangea, spigelia, 'the fairy' rose, and phlox (tag lost). I'm not good at propogation so we'll see how it goes. I think I will also be able to divide a few daylilies, some purple irises, and some other boring stuff. I've got more 'Mars' violas I can divide on request. It's more for foliage and doesn't seed everywhere. And tasmanian violets which don't reseed but spread fast and indefinately and bloom all spring through fall. I'm scared to bring them for the general swap though because they need a warning label twice their size. Great for a promlem spot though. I have callas that are white with white spots on the leaves and I would LOVE to get some colored callas. And I may divide my hidden cone ginger if anyone is interested.

I want everything but especially agastaches. All I have is 'blue fortune' but I want them all. I always want gingers and hostas and salvias and any shade plant I don't have. WANT WANT WANT I'm so greedy, but that's what this is all about. Well, I really like sharing too. Can't wait to see you all again! -Ais.

o

Rootdigger, I'd love a Monstera, and Frosty Pink too, for that matter. I have several things on your trade-wish list I could swap, if it's still up to date (Amorphophallus konjac, Xanthosoma jeoquinii, Colocasia affinis 'Jenningsii').

John, I think I have blue ginger, but will have to check outside to be sure it's still there. The deer pressure has been unbelievable this summer, and they're damaging things that haven't been on their list before.

o

I've started lising my rooted cuttings on trade page, but I need to know what to cut, so call out if you want something. Ais, I have a love child for you - I'd love a spigelia or Mars violet, mine reverted to green. Will anyone want coleus, since it's tender?

o

Ais - I doubt the blue ginger will overwinter outside. Remember when you and I were at Niche? thats where I bought it and she said it was easy to propagate and overwinter inside as a houseplant. Well I never got flowers off of mine so I was reluctant to chop it up. But now, almost a year later and it still doesn't look any better I am cuttin like a madman. I also found some at that other place (BB) so one of them is bound to bloom.

I would like a 'Mars' - and if anyone knows the secret to keeping the color on them, please speak up. Mine has withered down to a few green leaves and looks none too happy. If you don't have one to spare that's all right. I might dig mine up and take extra special care of it. I also have V. dissecta (same as Brenda's but I bought mine before she told us all about their wandering habits) and this year it has taken over the world. I'm not complaining tho, it looks great in the spring when in bloom and makes great filler during the summer.

I will even take another Tasmanian if you got it (Ha Ha Ha). I have a neglected flower bed at the fairgrounds that needs some aggressive filler plants. It is removed from the rest of the area and pretty isolated so I doubt this guy will get too far out of hand.

Folks - I forgot to mention that I have cuttings of Cistus - Rock Rose, a dry region plant with beautiful springtime poppylike flowers. If you can grow rosemary you can grow cistus. So far the cuttings are looking good and on schedule for the swap.

o

Rootdiggernc, I think I can find some Atamasco bulbs and I have toadlilies, although they're just a regular kind from Van Bourgandien.

Ais, would you be interested in Celandine poppy and Hosta plantaginea (may be Hosta Royal Standard)? I have a Virginia bluebell potted up. I am interested in trading for your lamium, phlox, and purple iris.

Brenda I'd like to swap for a Love Child. I have aromatic aster and a Short's aster if you're interested.

John, I'd be interested in a rock rose cutting. Would your neighbor take Salvia Black and Blue? I also may have an extra Scutellaria incana, if you haven't tried it in your yard. It's done surprisingly well in dry shade here.

o

Alicia, I will reserve those for you, assuming they root. The only thing guaranteed is the iris which I'll divide. But I'd love everything you offer so let's see what roots!

John, just tell me how much tasmanian violet you want, LOL. It's trying to take over the world but I just can't help but love it. I had it isolated in a bed but then put it in some problem spots... well, now there might be a new problem. My only concern is that for your fall bed it may not spread fast enough. It seems to REALLY take off the next spring. However, I really have quite a bit so I can probably bring you plenty and I could bring it to the fairgrounds on the Aug. 5th if you want.
The 'Mars' Viola seems to fade to green over the year, but mine always get purple veins on the new growth in spring. I tried to ask about it on the violet forum last year but they didn't have an answer so I think it's just an aging thing. If it has truly reverted then I can give you (both) some since mine are flourishing.

I still want that ginger, but I'll leave it for someone who can actually take care of it. :)

Brenda, I really hope that the spigelia roots but there are also a few seed pods on it and if I can catch them before they pop they are yours. My attempts at growing from seed have been miserable failures so if I can get any I'd be happy to give them away. They seem to go from under-ripe to popping very fast though.

I told myself to keep the private swaps to a minimum this time... I'm really not well.

o

Alicia - my neighbor has black and blue but he may want more. He's asking for red things. He and I both need Lobelia cardinalis (I need it for the fair grounds, he needs it for his hummingbird garden). It is so bad he and his wife are giving the hummers names!

I bought a Scutellaria of some sort years ago and promptly killed it. I might have overwatered it - now that you say they like dry shade.... hmmmmm I am a madman with a hose.

Ais - we can just trade amoungst ourselves on Aug 5th if that will simplify things for swap day.

Blue gingers are supposed to be easy to keep alive but not always picture perfect in bloom. The ones I've seen in bloom were stunning, mine acts happy but never even sets a bud. I may chop mine up for cuttings and overwinter some of them inside and rest will go to the hoophouse.

I can proudly say that my plant addiction is no longer under my control (never was) - everyone in my life is so happy to see that I am no longer maintaining a vast collection of livestock (tho I do miss the llamas).

o

Alicia, an aster would be terrific!

I also have a second kirengoshoma (other promised to Nancy) for trade. I 'm rooting caryopteris 'Dark Knight' and leonotis. Deer always eat just the buds of my kirengoshoma before I see a bloom. I'm looking for malva (other than zebrina, thanks to Shannon) and more oriental poppies. I can attest to the wonder of Karen's Amorphophallus bulbifer - the bulb she gave me last fall put up a nice stand of full marbled stems and foliage - and it was hardy, 12" deep in a rich bed.

o

wow! have been busy and so have ya'll! it went from 10 to 40 alarmingly fast! we are seriously in need of help,...

ok, so i made notes as i went down through.
dana, i still have your mulberry rooting. hopefully it'll be ready for the fall swap; i haven't ck'd lately. i'd love the muhly.
brenda, whatever you want for a 'lovechild.' well, within means... :) i have lots of p. somniferum seed, which is really gorgeous and easier than p. orientalis.
jean, i can root you some dicliptera.
john, you need to come & get the vinca i have talking over..... i also have iris cristata i need to thin out anyhow. let me know if you'd like some in addition to karen's. on the plant digs i've seen it growing on mossy banks dripping with water, and sandy areas seemingly devoid of moisture, as well as dry clay slopes (trick there is getting them going- once they get ahold, no problems). so i think it's really very adaptable.
karen- i lost one of the lovely salvias you brought in the spring - s. puberola. could i swap for some of it? and, if you can get some seed of asclepias variegata i would love love love some. it is so pretty and i have a soft spot for asclepias. i wanted to let you know the amorphs you gave me did great and every single seed sprouted! the teeny little dianthus japonicus are looking nice and i hope to see some blooms this fall. let me know what you would want.
deb/root- i planted a bunch of your stuff in my plot and it's looking good. if you can't get out for the fair this yr, if you have time after the swap, you should peek out at the plot to see your babies. it's 2 mins off 440. the monstruosa looks very cool. any chance i could get another? i was also hoping to get some of the perennial ageratum. i lost all mine. what would you like?
ais- i would love to get some 'mars' and some tasmanian violet. let me know what you're looking for.

all of you guys- please let me know what you're looking for. i want to make everyone happy- ya'll have such great trades! i think my spring list is still on my page, and all of those should still be available except the hellebores. i do have seed harvested from the spring if anyone wants to try starting it themselves. i will try to look around soon and assess what i can easily divvy and bring and update my list. i was wondering if anyone would be interested in coleus cuttings now, knowing you'd need to overwinter them. i have quite a few varieties. i am planning to root roses- a litttle of all i have that root if i have time before vacation (8/4-14). no guarantees, but i should know by after that what is rooting ok. becauseof vaca falling in the middle of the time i have left and kid school shopping, and wedding planning for mom, and fair plot planning, oh, and work (drat it)... i may not have as much time to do as many trades as i did this spring. i'll squeeze in just as many as i can, tho! i even got almost everything planted from the spring swap within a month, too.

one note- seems i had a love child of my own. when my patch of what i assumed was campanula takesimanna bloomed this yr, it bloomed pink. that patch was started from a seedling i found in the yard that looked like a ringer for takesi, which blooms white. so i'm thinking it's a takesimanna x punctata 'cherry bells' cross, as they are the only camps i have that bloomed. the foliage is just like takesimanna's. some of what i brought labelled as takesi this spring was from that patch, some was from my orig takesi patches. so if it blooms pink for you, you got the cross, if it bloomes white, you got takesi. sorry- but it is very pretty! the blooms look likes cherry bells, but the stalks are floppy & tall like takesi. bloomed a long time, too. i have more, if anyone wants some- it's an agressive spreader....

i would be interested in a seed swap for afterwards. just cleaned a mess of spring seed. aquilegia canandensis, a. vulgaris purple & white, a. ? burg & white ('winky' i think). lots of breadbox/opium poppy- a nice shrimpy pink with purple blotches. nigella- mostly blues. and any of my older seed, too. i know i have lots of acslepias tuberosum, malvaviscus, amsonia(have some seedlings of these, too), siberian iris, cleome, garlic chives, sweet betsy, hosta ventricosa (should have fresh by swap time), hibiscus coccinea, and more.

because we're doing the fair plot in the swiss family robinson theme, i am looking for fine leaved tropical plants. we're trying to create forced perspective so we can have a treehouse folly. so, if anyone has anything that fits that bill, let me know. if it vines, has flowers or color, so much the better, but the area i have is mostly shaded. it can't be common stuff you know isn't tropical (like impatiens)- the point is to recreate the very fictional, very impossible tropical isle, but to be as authentic as possible- to the book or to a real south pacific island; my goal is a mix of both. if it's uncommon enough that noone will know if it's tropical or not, it should be fine. tricky, tricky. i have most of the big foreground stuff covered. a prethanks for any help! tam

o

John, I'm sure I can scare up some cardinal flower. It grows wild on my property.

Brenda do you still want Japanese roof iris? I'm interested in Caryopteris "Dark Knight".

o

Alicia, I am always interested in a jri. The rooted cary are small (6"), so I'll put aside 2 for you. Tammy, a Lovechild has your name (or more acurately, clothes pin) on it. I actually have had better luck with orientale than with somniferum - my soil is weird. Have any spare rudbeckia triloba maybe?

I'm also thinking that I should cut up and give away most of my Impatiens zombensis, since only one will winter inside. Let me know if anybody wants some - maybe we can repeat the trade in spring if any of us lose it overwintering? I also have seedlings of Japanese flowering apricot 'Kobai' again, if anyone wants some? Also beautyberry and Carolina allspice (Calycanthus floridus). If you need white beautyberry, let me know cuz currently only purple is rooted.

o

Does anyone have sassafras (plant or fruit, fruit might yield better results and may be ripe by the time of the swap) or Marshall's Pink monarda?

o

Rootdigger,
I would love a few cuttings of your Frosty Pink Brug (or rooted). I would try to root it, but haven't a lot of experience rooting yet, or tried to root brugs before. If they are easy to root, I might be successful, though!

Brenda, I would love some rootings of caryopteris 'Dark Knight' or even one :-)

Tammy, can you bring me rose cuttings to try to root, or even better, some rooted starts of yours (esp the purple)? I am trying to root some now from a few cuttings from a trade: Hawkeye Belle(Buck) and Prairie Harvest(Buck). Let me know if you are interested in these.

Ais, I would love some lamium 'petite point'.

Shari, I will look for a perennial sunflower for you and bring you viburnum. Would love several liatris, if you have it.

I have Chinese lanterns, Jewel of Opar (Fame Flower) (Talinum paniculatum), and Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink', if anyone is interested. I also have some rooted datura (yellow,pink,white I think )- I can check the colors and amount if there is interest.

o

Alicia, I can find and dig you a baby sassafras. They seem to do OK if transplanted small, 6" or so.

o

Brenda, I have spare Rudbeckia triloba if you want it. If your Calycanthus floridus has good fragrance, I'd love one. (I've smelled some that lean toward, and even past, overripe on the fruity scale. I actually did an olfactory survey one year in the native gardens over at Duke. I probably looked ridiculous, but I sure learned a lot.)

Tammy, I'll bring you more Salvia puberala, though I may have to cut it way back to bring it. It's about 5 feet tall at this point. Glad the Amorphs did well, and the Dianthus, although I think it might be next year before you see blooms on that one. No luck on the Asclepias variegata, unfortunately. I found the plant but there were no seed heads. I've read that it can be propagated by root cuttings, so maybe I'll give that a shot this fall. I need to ask permission of the neighbor who owns that part of the power cut first, though. Do you overwinter coleus? I've never been very successful with it, but I lucked into some really great cultivars this year and hate to lose them. I'd be happy to start cuttings for anyone who has been able to get them through the winter. Then I could get cuttings back again in the spring if I lose them! (I'm hoping for a greenhouse this year but not holding my breath.) I'd love some rooted roses, if you're doing them. The ones you had in the spring were gorgeous, especially the Veilchenblau.

John, does your neighbor have bog sage (Salvia uliginosa)? The hummers have really been working mine over this year. I'd be glad to start cuttings from some of the red greggii or greggii hybrids if you want. Red Velvet and Cherry Queen have both been good dependable bloomers for me. I've got other red salvias I could root, but most of them are iffy at best on hardiness. My blue ginger is still there, thankfully, but I'd love a cutting from your Cistus if you have enough.

o

Alicia, I have sassafras, but do not have Marshall's Pink monarda. I do have Marshall's Delight monarda, if you would like some of that. I may be getting some "raspberry wine" monarda soon from a trade. In addition to sassafras, I have a Caryopteris 'Blue Mist' I can save for you. I would love your several of your black and blue salvias, aromatic aster, short aster and cardinal flower.

Brenda, I would like seedlings of Japanese flowering apricot 'Kobai' if you bring some. What does 'lovechild' salvia look like? I cannot find it on the web...

Karen, I would love Red Velvet and Cherry Queen salvias if you can get them to root.

Would anyone like Autumn Joy sedum, Marshall's Delight monarda, cedar, white oak, wisteria, or Klems hardy gardenia? I also have flowering quince, white buddelia, Nanho blue buddelia, that I can try to root, if there is any interest.

Ais, would you like some a fern and hosta Francee for Acanthus 'Summer Beauty'(Bear's Breech) and lamium 'petite point' (if you can root it)?

Tammy, would you like an Ostrich fern? It is kind of tropical looking.

o

Hi Brenda,
I would be willing to try to overwinter one or two Impatiens zombensis for the spring. I have a sunroom that gets a lot of light. - Jean

o

Jean, are your gardenias rooted? Are they difficult to propogate? I may be interested in trading for one, if it's less fussy than usual gardenias?

Karen, the calycanthus are seedlings of native NC and native Florida parents, so the scent is unknown. They are rugged little varmints. Hey, did you see how much Wayside is selling Hartlage Wine for? We got those puppies free at the Raulston grab - score! This year it's October 7. We never decided on what you'd like from me that you don't already have, so give me a hint so that I can covet your babies.

I tried a transplant of Asclepias variegata from the logged area, with miserable results. Like I wasn't told it had a long taproot. I'll try root cuttings in a couple of months as well. Now that I know what it is, I seem to spot it growing on roadside constantly - grrrrr.

Hey, what about a seed swap over coffee after the October 7 plant grab at Raulston? Ralph and John were there last year, no? Is anyone else planning to give Raulston $30 for a chance to grab free plants? Last year my greedy little self grabbed 15 babies. I'm sure John can point us to a good coffee spot nearby.

o

Brenda,
It is not fussy at all. Still blooming (a few) and smells great! I believe I have at least one rooted, and I will save it for you.
Anyone else? - Jean

o

John I will bring the 'Mars' viola and plenty of Tasmanian violet to the fair on the 5th. I'd like a cistus if you have one to spare.

Tammy I can definately spare 'Mars' and tasmanian violets for you. Do you still have purple aster? If not I'll take just about anything for them.

Jean, fern and hosta for the acanthus and lamium sounds fine if the lamium roots.

Brenda so far the Spigelia looks good, though it's small because I didn't have many growing tips without seedpods. If it doesn't take I'll let you know and see what else I can share. Can't wait to meet 'lovechild'

Alicia, I checked and the phlox could probably be divided if it won't root, though so far it looks good. The lamium also seems fine but it's early to tell. Irises will be no problem. The celadine and bluebell are enough. I have that hosta so you can save it for someone who doesn't.

If I forgot anyone let me know. -Ais.

o

Jean, I'd be interested in a gardenia cutting if it's rooted.

John would your neighbor be interested in red canna or Hibiscus coccineus?

o

Who has a 'Autumn Moon' camellia? Thanks in advance! Jean

o
RE: WANTED: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap!

Ais that sounds good.

John I have a cardinal flower potted up for you.

o

Alicia, I will look for a rooted gardenia for you, and also try to root some more.
- Jean

o

Ooh Brenda - last year at the grab fest I got a variegated Illicium along with more of the variegated Rose of Sharon and that blue Lyme Grass (maybe its lime grass). I will definitely be there with wheelbarrow in tow. There are three such dining establishments nearby. My choice would be NeoMonde but it will get packed after the plant exchange (its an Arboretum hang out). And theres always the Waffle House on the corner - if I'm thinking of the right corner. Ben & Jerry's may be open that early also.

Oh by the way I want a Zombie. This year I will put up two hoop houses so I can overwinter anything I desire.

o

Still working on the wants and have from above, but Brenda was it you that wanted some other Agastache (or was that someone else?). Anyway I have agastache rupestris (orangish bloom) if someone can tell me the best way to propagate it. I probably won't try to do much from it as it's new. When I got it just a few weeks ago, I went ahead and cut it back (blooms) and it's already started blooming again and is gorgeous!

o

Brenda, I can dig a young serviceberry in exchange for the sassafras if you want. If you don't want that let me know, I can come up with something else.

Jean, so we're trading sassafras, gardenia, and Caryopteris "Blue Mist" for black and blue sage, aromatic aster, short aster and cardinal flower, right?

o

Hi Alicia,
Yes, that sounds great. Your asters are hardy for us in this zone, right (colors/names if you know)? Or you can give me extra BB sage, and only one of the asters. Either way, I know I will be very happy :-)
- Jean

o

Aromatic aster is very hardy and forms a low (to 2' feet) mounding sub-shrub. It's not aggressively spreading, so it's well-behaved in the garden. I've had it for 5 or 6 years. The flowers are a soft lavender blue and usually last during the month of October. The foliage is aromatic, thus the common name. I think it smells sort of like pine resin.

The Short's aster that I have are seedlings from this spring, so what I know about it I read in the Wasowski's Gardening with Native Plants of the South. They say it's a woodland aster, 1-3' in height, with light purple flowers in early fall (in the photo they look more blue than purple). It's characterized as short-lived and hardy to zone 6. Sounds like one of those plants that you keep around by allowing it to seed in. If you'd rather have a B & B sage, let me know.

Ais, do you want a second Celandine poppy to make the trade more even? Or something else? I have some other woodland plants.

o

Does anyone have any Clethra alnifolia 'Hummingbird'/dwarf (or Pink Spires?) which can be rooted from cuttings. I'm still working on adding some small easy shrubs.

Sharil, I'll dig some Pink Evening Primrose for you.

Jnhidden, Will save you a pink brug. I'll try to get out there and start one rooting for you. Do you have any Salvia 'Blue Hill' you can root? If not an Ostrich fern would be great! Also what kind of Viburnum do you have? Fragrant?

Dana, do you have any Viburnum Shasta or Salvia Argentina Skies or Salvia San Carlos Festival. I have the salvia bug and think I'd like to get bit by the Viburnum bug too... :D

Alicia, I have you down for Lamium. Should have a couple differnet kinds for ya. What kind of gardenia do you have? I'm also interested in any baby Sorrels, and the rain lilies/atamsco.

Ais, what kind of hydrangeas are you rooting? Any of the Tardiva?

Karen, you're down for Monstera (houseplant) and Pink Brug. I would really love some X. jeoquinni and C. jenningsii (lost mine.. sniff).

Brenda, was that Furmans or Maraschino I got from you last spring (or was that from Tammy)? Do you have any climbing hydrangea? Any Lovechild left? I have Mystic Merlin growing, but all I have right now is seeds. Should have lots of babies later.

Tammy, have a pot of ageratum already rooted with your name and did you mean Monstera? If so I have extra. I will for sure go by the fairgrounds to see your plot. I've been excited about it since you started it, LOL.

John, I'd like some cistus (which I admired before) if you get it to root. What can I get you, maybe some Frosy Pink Brug?

If I missed or confused anything, please just smack me... I'm fighting a nasty summer cold and my head feels like about 10 sizes too big. It's hard enough to follow this thread when I feel good, LOL....
D

o
RE: WANTED --- Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

I'm also looking for Hydrangea arborescens and Hydrangea Tardiva or a fruiting Mulberry. I picked up a mulberry at the last swap, but I think it was a paper mulberry. I can bring that back for anyone that would like it. I'm always looking for witch hazel too!

I was just out checking the Monsteras and every one of them rooted. So I have 10 of them, and I think 3 are spoken for. I also have a couple Bridal Wreath Spirea. Still in their plastic bags from spring. I'm going to have to throw more stuff over into the woods and forget about them. Everything there rooted.

o

I'm attempting to root 'taube' and 'blue wave'. They are both lacecaps, the first is pink to purple, the second is lilac to blue. I also have a 'Nikko blue' if anyone wants me to try to get that rooting and several climbing hydrangeas (not true hydrangeas) but I don't know how easy the climbing ones are to root. I have an'Endless Summer' too but it's patented so I'm not supposed to root it. Sorry I don't have tardiva, I'd like to have one too. My MIL has a huge oakleaf that I keep meaning to get cuttings of as well. -Ais.

o

Hey Deb, How do you tell mulberries apart? I've been trying to figure it out for a while. You got Salvia microphylla, 'Marachino' from me last spring, labeled Furman incorrectly. I'd love a Mystic Merlin for a Lovechild. I have a climbing hydrangea for you as well - any chance you have an extra butterfly ginger? I already have rupestris and love it as well - it is possible but if-y for me from cuttings since it hates to be overly wet and tends to rot - very easy from dust-like seed.

John, Neomonde sounds good for a seed swap - we can post about it in late Sep maybe.

Alicia, serviceberry for sassafras sounds good. Who did I give sassafras and sourwoods to last spring? They seemed to be healthy for 3 weeks after being dug - did they make it thru the summer as well?

o
Re: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

Karen, I'm trying to remember from old emails - were we Kirengoshoma and variegated Hypericum for Salvia 'El Cielo' and Amorphophallus konjac? Let me know if I have that right and if there's anything else I can bring you. Do you want another P mume?

o
Ais: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

Ais, I would love a taube if it roots. I have Maculata, which is a green and white leaf lacecap if you'd like one. I also have plenty of Nikko, if anyone wants some- gotta love that effortless producer of huge blue flowers.

o

Sounds good Brenda. I can let you know how they look in a couple of weeks. -Ais.

o

Brenda, I got a sourwood for my FIL last spring and he thought he killed it but it came back and I think it's doing well.

Rootdigger, I have Curcuma 'summer snow' which I see on your wishlist. If you still want it I will save you one. It's never bloomed for me, but the foliage is nice. It might prefer more sun. Do you have anymore perennial ageratum?

Alicia, I'd love an extra celadine but only if you have plenty.

o

Rootdiggernc, I don't have gardenia to trade at this point. I can see if I can find a baby sorrel tree suitable to dig, but I don't think I have any that are small enough. I have some seedlings but they are tiny. Unless they take off and start growing they would be more suitable to trade next spring or fall. I still have a lot of seed.

I can start a cutting from my doublefile viburnum if you're interested.

Ais, I can easily spare another celandine. I divided a large one about a month ago. I'd be interested in a Nikko blue hydrangea if it will root.

o

Brenda, I would love a Nikko blue.

Rootdigger,
I have gardenia and am going to try to root it. If successful, I will save you one! If you have an extra perennial ageratum, I would love one.
I did find my Blue Hill and will try to root it. I was afraid I had traded it away like I did the Snow Hill last spring :)
I have a native white-flwring viburnum that I can bring for you. No, I don't think it is fragrant, at least not that I ever noticed - I didn't get out much in the garden/yard the last several years until this year, and although I loved and enjoyed all the white blooms on the viburnum all throughout the woods, I didn't go up to smell the flowers (lol) - I will next spring/summer to verify.

Help! how do I root my hydragea? I have a beautiful blue lacecap, oakleaf and lady in red, but do not know how to root them? Anything special I should do? Should I try the shade or part sun? I would appreciate any thoughts from anyone who has been succesful! and would bring my successes to the swap...

Does anybody want a tulip poplar or maple?

o

ok, hope i caught all the stuff-

brenda, i have scads of rudbeckia triloba, tell me how many you'd like! lol. it reseeds like a fiend for me. i'm game to try a zombie.

karen, don't hurt your salvia for me. i'll be happy to bring you some veilchenblau. if i don't get it rooted before, it roots quite easily. as far as overwintering coleus... well mixed results. i tried them last yr in the basement and they bombed. have done them inside the house before, and managed to get them limping through, infested with mealies by the end of the winter (which is why i tried the basement last yr). the good news is they usually perk up and ripstart when you get them outside. i've had good luck in treating melaies with safer oil last fall on my houseplants, so i will do that this yr as a safeguard against aphids, mealies, etc, and keep them in the house. i'll bring what i can to the swap, with the thought of maybe someone will have luck keeping them going if i don't (like brenda's zombie). we are hoping to set up a mini greenhouse type thing on our deck this yr similar to what john did last yr, so i may some other options to try.

deb, i hate to ask for anything more, but i would like a hummingbird clethra. is there anything you want? glad you wanna see the plot. it'll be about 2/3 finished (at least plant wise) by the time of the swap. i can paint a picture in your mind of the rest. :)

ais- i have more of the purple aster and am happy to bring it. if you are successful rooting blue wave i would like some of it. thanks also for the violets. anything else you'd like?

jean, i'll bring what i can get going of roses and cuttings of any i don't get plants of. the problem is, 2 of the 3 purples i have don't root worth a darn. i can bring pieces and let you try yourself. i have divvies of the one this spring and practically had to shove them in someone's hands. dunno when i'll have more divvies, but will earmark one for you when i see one. veilchenblau (veil of blue- really purple) is very easy to root, and i can put you down for it. you live here in garner, right? so we can always do a get together, since i'm just around the corner from lake benson park. i would love some chinese lanterns- have been trying those from seed for a long while with no luck. i understand once you have them, you'll never get rid of them! lol. i'd also be interested in the stachs monieri.

thanks, tam

o

Alicia, the doublefile Viburnum would be great if you can root it. If not the atamsco are always great.

Ais, I have plenty of perennial Ageratum, will save you some. I'd love to try the H. taube if that works for you. Is there something else you'd like for the curcurma? I have another curcurma and it does like sun and blooms really late for me. I've missed it some years because I wasn't watching for it.

Brenda, from what I've been told and read about, the Paper Mulberry has a much rougher leaf (top) and and soft fuzzy underneath. Another kind has smooth leaves (the white, I think) and some have the rough upper but smooth underside. It's pretty confusing and I'm still not sure I've got it right. Thanks for the tip on rupestris. I think I'll try to save some seed and try it this winter. I can bring you some Mystic Merlin and butterfly ginger, but let me look and see what I have extra of besides the white. I think I've brought you that the last two swaps or are you wanting more of the white? Also since that was maraschino I still don't have any Furmans. Do you have any rooted or does that need to wait till spring? If you have some, what can I get your for it?

Jean, OK...I have the brug and ageratum for you, anything else? I'm always sticking my nose in some bloom, LOL. I love fragrant plants. Hope the Blue Hill roots for you. Any idea as to what kind of gardenia you have?

Mulberry -- http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedguide/singlerecordframe2.asp?id=200

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper Mulberry

o

Tammy, I'd be interested in swapping for a cutting of Veilchenblau. How about a Cassia alata? Although it may be more Dr. Suess than Swiss Family Robinson.

o
RE: WANTED: ...Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

Tammy, I don't have the clethra, was hoping someone else did. I do need you to remind my adled brain if by montruosa you meant monstera. I have plenty of that. Also I may be begging you for some of your roses come spring. My short trip into roses has become a pain in the rear, but I know you had some nice no spray ones. I love my Zepherine (fragrance is wonderful) but I really want something that blooms longer too.

o

Deb, the white is great - I love it and it isn't yet multiplying for me, so another would be appreciated. I do not have any Furman rooted. I do have Lipstick and Eder if you need either of those.

o

Brenda, I don't have either. Lipstick would be great! Thank you! What would you like for it? I have a little 'spineless' prickly pear which is rooted.

A tip for getting your ginger off to a good start. For some reason my other gingers have struggled, all except the white. The first spring after mine had over wintered in the ground (with lots of mulch) I dug up about half or better of it and split it into about 3 pieces and planted it into two more areas. The top had rotted, but on the underside of the clump was lots of new growth. Now it goes gangbusters and I don't even bother with extra mulch on all but one of the clumps.

o

Yes, I have Kleim's hardy gardenia. I hope it roots.

o

Rootdigger, I'd love another curcuma. The 'Summer Snow' is doing great, seems to love where it is. Just doesn't bloom and wanted you to know that. I've had the clump for 4 yrs. i I have often wondered if I just missed the bloom (given the name)

o

Hi Tammy,
I didn't know that about the chinese lanterns...hmm... I might have to move them out of the bed they are in. I will bring you 2 and also Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink'.
Is the veilchenblau the one you have growing on your metal rebar arch? that is a really pretty one, with all the different colors in the blooms!

Rootdigger, I am bringing you an ostrich fern, and do you want a viburnum also (I can't remember- have plenty)? I know you want the Blue hill and gardenia if they root. What kind of lamium do you have (pale/white)?

Ais, do you still have trichostema 'blue curls'? I would swap wild ginger (w/ silver patterning on the leaf) for it!

- Jean

o

Wow, so much action...I can't keep up! Great to see all the planning (and planting!)

I am looking for more dry shade stuff. I am especially interested in cast iron plants, and if anyone has some of the more unusual ones, all the better, but I am open to anything.

I have 1 potted Soldidago 'Fireworks', 1 Hosta 'Cheatin' Heart', 1 or 2 Colocasia 'Ruffles' and C. Rhubarb, and several hardy tapioca.

Looking forward to it!

Sally

o

Sally, I have Aspidistra linearifolia 'Leopard', and would love to trade for Colocasia 'Ruffles' or hardy tapioca if you're interested.

Jean, and anybody else interested in salvias, I think what I'll do is go around and take cuttings this weekend from anything that looks good. August is going to be busy for me with work, so things will be pretty much sink or swim, unfortunately. I'll post next month what's rooted, but it would help to know if anyone is interested in salvias that aren't hardy in zone 7a so I don't waste time cutting if nobody's as obsessed as I am.

Tammy, don't worry about my wrecking the Salvia puberala. Dividing is easy, but the challenge is to dig it so that you'll see blooms this year. It'll be a good project for me. I'll start some coleus, too, hoping you'll have some luck overwintering in case I don't. I hate it when I lose them, which is usually.

Rootdigger, I've got you down for the colocasia and xanthosoma.

Ais, if you have extra Curcuma 'Summer Snow' I'd love to get a bit. What can I offer in return?

Brenda, I think you're right on the trades, but maybe you should just come over and raid me some weekend. Then I wouldn't have to keep up. All these posts and I didn't think I wanted anything, but now I Want, I Want, I Want.

o

Sally,
I would love your Cheatin heart. But what can I offer you for it? I have Francee hosta and a Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink' for you, or I think I have a small Colocasia (I know it is not 'ruffles' EE) - I can look at the name this weekend if you are interested.

Tammy, I forgot to respond to your question about whether I was in Garner or not. I am just north of Raleigh on Falls Lake, so sort of local to you (maybe about 45 minutes away from you). However, I work in RTP, so it might be closer to you (Garner) from there. I could meet you sometime after work, or possibly on a weekend day.

Ais, I would love a 'blue wave' if you get it rooted. Do you root hydrangeas in a pot in the shade with a plastic covering for hydrangeas? When I tried, the cutting wilted and died.

I also have 'Summer Lyric' azalea- if anyone is intersted, I will try to root it.

Karen, I would say that I personally am primarily interested in salvias that are hardy in zone 7. I don't know how succesful I would be at keeping them inside over the winter, but am sure I will try this year. (Mealies - are those the little tiny flying bugs? I may have to try that safer oil spray Tammy mentioned this winter!). I am sure I would love others, but hardy ones are better b/c I wouldnt have to dig them up.

I found something that looks like a salvia but I forgot what I planted there and there is no tag. It is blooming now, and must be perennial. I guess I will post pics on the forum and ask for help Iding it. The leaves have smooth edges and look diff from the toothed edge salvia leaves I expected, but the flwrs look like salvia blooms.

o

Ais, they're really easy to miss the way they nestle down in the foliage. Have you down for ageratum and curcurma (I think it's Emperor) for your C. Summer Snow and H. taube.

Jean, I haven't bothered keeping up with the names of the lamiums I have, most have the white/silvery patterns (no yellow foliage types), but I'll bring you a couple along with the brug and ageratum. Thanks for the Ostrich fern, I love ferns! Yes, I'd like to try one of your viburnums. I have some woods it would be pretty in.

Karen, thanks for the X. jeoquinni and C. jenningsii. I can't wait! Your monstera is ready to go and will start the brug rooting.

Brenda, OK will dig a nice big clump of the white BG for you.

Does anyone have any pinecone ginger for trade? Also I have some Night blooming Jasmine, but have had no luck at trying to root it. If anyone wants to try their hand at it I'll bring some cuttings.

o

Reading through these posts make we wonder about promoting the idea of trading cuttings. Just raw cuttings wrapped in damp paper towels and stuck in plastic baggies. I have a ton of cuttings stuck in media right now and with all this rain everything is looking perky - but who knows how things will turn out by Sept. If a bunch of us gardeners, who like to propagate (plants that is), just want to bring armloads of cuttings we could really trade a lot of material. Think about it. I am just planting the seed... the rest is up to you. Today I will spend my time thinking up an gimicky name for a propagatin' festival. (I thought up Tomatopalooza you know.) Be afraid. Be very very afraid.

o

Rootdigger, That sounds great!
What is your real name? I am going to try to keep everyone straight, and match gardenweb names up w/ real names but it is hard :-) Are you Deb?
If so, do you have a Tricyrtis 'Lightning Strike' (var. toad lily for shade)? If you love ferns, I can bring you christmas ferns or might be able to divide my dryopteris erythrosora by fall (it is now very big), or think I may have a very small Athyrium niponicum Pictum that may be healthy/big enough to bring for you, in exchange.

o

Hi to All--Can't wait for the tradin' to start...I am looking for ANNABELLE hydrangea IRIS (purples/blues of any variety, or white I. cristata) HELLEBORES (white only, I think thats considered Christmas Rose, not Lenten Rose..) PAINTED ANGEL FERN CYCLAMEN (white) CAREX (white variegated) SNOWDROP bulbs BULBS (any white color) and the GOLDEN LAMIUM that nobody seems to have...

Off of the top of my head, to trade, I have ASTILBE (Amythyst), CUPHEA (Tiny Winnie 1-2 plants), PEE GEE HYDRANGEA (its rooting now...), MOPHEAD TYPE HYDRANGEA (pink or blue..depending on your soil, not sure of variety), SALVIA (Black and Blue rooting now), BUTTERFLY BUSH (Black Knight rooting now) DWARF GARDENIA cuttings, possibly GEUM (Mrs Bradshaw) and SALVIA (Hot Lips--have to check if they need dividing)and more sun perennials that I can't remember.....

Let me know what you are looking for--we'll try to work something out. See ya'll there!

o

Jean, you can call me D or Deb or some on here call me Rootie (LOL). I don't have anymore TL. I gave away scads of it at the spring swap both in special trades and the general swap. I do have a small black stem EE (I saw on your want list) if you'd like, for the dryopteris erythrosora. I have the other two ferns you mentioned. If that doesn't work I have hardy begonia (shade).

So John, do you want some night blooming jasmine cuttings? It is getting ready to bloom probably tonight! It's not hardy here but worth lugging it under the house each winter (my 1st born for a greenhouse) and it does repeat bloom all summer if you cut it back when it finishes each flush of blooms. I would really like to share this with someone. Just in case I ever lose mine, LOL.

o

Hi Deb (rootdigger),
I had a typo - meant "not" very big, I will check since it has time to grow bigger by fall, but if I can't divide it, I have mini EE (interested?). I would like to try the black stem EE that you have. How does the Hummingbird Clethra or Summersweet do for you? Does it spread agressively by runners? are you bringing some to the general swap?

o

I don't much like the idea of trading cuttings in Sept. -- that's a little late. It might work out fine but I've had by far the best luck with cuttings taken May-August.

o

Maybe (in the interest of simplifying things) we could reserve a spot for cuttings and seeds and just put them there for people to peruse and select (and chat about how best to use them) after the swap. I agree with Alicia that it's a little late, but it could be an opportunity to get some new things we don't have. I wouldn't think it would have to be regulated or plant for plant or anything.

I saw 'forest pansy' redbud on someones wishlist. I have one but it never sets seed and the seedlings would most likely be green. They are usually reproduced by grafting. But I was wondering if anyone had ever tried air-layering one? Maybe I'll give it a try but I won't hold out much luck. If anyone knows where to find a white one ('Alba') clue me in. -Ais.

o

Deb - I started some 'Shasta' cuttings last week. They usually root pretty easily, so I hope to have some by swap time.
Dana

o

Jean, I don't have Clethra (see above). Is your mini EE a Alocasia or Colocasia,...fallax or what? I have a few Alocasia's but I try to stick with the Colocasias as they are usually hardier.

Dana, great! If it works out let me know what you'd like for it.

o

Dana, The Shasta you gave me last fall is just gee-orgeous. Thanks again. Ais, Forest Pansy is on my want-list, just because I use the same list for nursery visits. I'm sure you are right that the seeds would not come true. LAst spring, East Car Un had gobs and gobs of red-leaf and /or white-flower redbud in beds all over the place. Hundreds of trees- just spectacular.

o

Hi Deb,
I don't know as I just got them in a trade. I will ask the person who sent them if they know.

o
RE: WANTED:,,,,, Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

Brenda, speaking of nursery list, what was the name of that variegated white dogwood you posted a picture of last year? It just glowed! I keep meaning to ask you about it so I can write it down.

o

Cornus alba 'Elegantissima'. I originally got it from Heronswood, but alas, they are no more. Garden Supply in Cary has it ($$$ though). Sometimes I get suckers that I pull out and pot, but I have none now or I'd give you one. I've tried to root and failed - surprising, since it's supposed to be a swamp weed.

o

enda, I read on an OSU site that the names and are probably mixed up between Cornus alba 'Elegantissima' and Cornus alba 'Argenteovariegata.' If so Big Dipper Farm carries it.
OSU site...http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/coalel.htm

http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/cgi-bin/searchall.pl

o

Karen, I would love to have the Aspidistra linearifolia 'Leopard'! Would you rather have the tapioca or the colocasia?

Jean, the Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink' sounds great for the Cheatin' Heart!

Thanks!

Sally

o

Sally, what are you looking for that we might trade for a tapioca?

o

Sally, I'd love the tapioca and have you down for aspidistra.

Is anybody interested in seedlings from Cypella coelestis (will also have seeds), Callicarpa americana (white berried form), or Vernonia glauca? I brought a few in the spring to the general swap but they didn't seem to be very popular. I think I actually chased somebody down and made them take the Cypella at the end of the day.

o

Karen, I'd like to try some of the cypella seed. Googled it and it's lovely! Will be iffy in my 7a zone, but would like to try it here and see how it does.

o

Karen I've got Cypella coelestis but will always take more. I'm interested in the Vernonia glauca and the white American beautyberry as well. I don't have anything tropical except for Cassia alata, and Sept is late for putting that in. I still have seed however. I have a couple of iris you might in interested in: Dusky Challenger, which is a deep metallic purple, and Samurai Warrior, which is a deep red. What other kinds of things are you looking for? I have a LOT of stuff in pots right now -- I guess I need to start cataloguing it.

Rootdiggernc,
I couldn't find the Atamascos I was thinking of digging for you, because they're no longer marked and the area is currently covered in Carolina bog mint. Since the Atamascos go dormant in summer a spring trade would probably be best. I do have a Rose Gentian you might be interested in (Sabatia dodecandra var. foliosa); it's been blooming for over a month and is fragrant. One of those fragrances that's sweet and lemony at the same time. I will try cuttings and if that doesn't work I should be able to divide it.

o

Brenda,

Do you have any of your "love child" available? If not, I am in need of some cast iron plants and also anything for dry shade.

Sally

o

Karen,
I would like to try a Cypella coelestis seedling. What can I bring you for a Cypella coelestis seedling and some hot lips? Would you like a Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink' and a few iris cristata or something else?

o

Alicia, I've got you down for Cypella, Vernonia, and white beautyberry. The Iris Dusky Challenger looks fabulous, and I'm very interested in Sabatia if you get your cuttings to root. I've also been looking for celandine poppy and Virgina bluebell, which I didn't even know I wanted until I saw them being traded last spring, and other natives like Eranthis and Dodecatheon. Is there anything else on your wish list?

Jean, I've got plenty of stachys and Iris cristata, but if you're willing to try rooting your Azalea 'Summer Lyric' I'd love that. I haven't rooted azaleas but I think your best bet would be to layer a branch over the winter. I'd be glad to bring you Cypella and Hot Lips this fall and get the azalea next spring if it roots.

Rootdigger, I have plenty of cypella seed so you should be able to try it several places if you want. I've seen that PDN rates it to zone 7b, but it's been hardy for me here in Durham for the past 5 years, and we're 7a.

o

Oops, didn't mean to imply eranthis is native to the US. One of those 'fast fingers' things.

o

Karen, if you've taken any cuttings from a blue or purple salvia that's not black and blue salvia I'd be especially interested. If not I'd like one of any sort of salvia cutting you've got. I have you down for the iris DC, Rose Gentian, celandine poppy, and Va. bluebell.

Sally, I have some things that have done well in dry shade here: white wood aster, downy skullcap (Scutellaria incana), and Small's beardtongue. I also have a seedling from a bleeding heart from Plant Delights that has done very well here. If you're interested in any of these let me know. I'd like to trade for a Colocasia or tapioca.

Brenda, I'd be interested in a Nikko blue cutting and "Honeycomb" buddleia if you still have any that aren't spoken for. I can root a cutting from my beautybush. Are you still looking for pyracantha? I have some seedlings. I also have some woodland phlox potted up. If you've got that I have some La iris (I'd describe them as orchid pink/lavender) that I can dig.

o
RE: WANTED: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap to add

I forgot to add: anyone interested in a Muhly capillaris or Eragrostis elliottii (Blue Love Grass)? I'm going to move the blue love grass in any case since there's a big Carolina bush pea laying all over it.

Also, I can try to root some goldflame honeysuckle if anyone is interested.

o

Ooh I can't wait for the swap! I would love to have a special seed swap area. Brenda, would love to meet you guys after the other swap but I would be there just to drool over your good fortune and talk dirt. Let me know what you guys decide to do. Shannon/Dirtrx

o

Alicia, I would be happy to do honeycomb and Nikko for a LA iris and pyracantha seedling. Is there anything special you are looking for that I might have - cuz I'd love to trade for a bit of Penstemon tenuis, sky blue aster, aromatic aster, or Penstemon tenuis.

Sally, Lovechild for tapioca would be super. Would you also like a native tiarella or tiarella 'Iron Cross' for dry shade?

I have cuttings rooting of more honeycomb, Salvia leucantha 'Eder', and Perilla magilla. I am trying Salvia nemorosa 'Blue Hill', but I'm not going to promise it yet, since I've never tried propping it before. I have a pot of Phlomis russelliana for whoever it was that had phlomis on their "looking for" list - wasn't it Dana? Of all things, I don't have lemon verbena, so if anyone wants to trade for it cuz I love tea made with it? Also have more of the silver plectranthus I brought last fall and Coleus 'Inky Fingers' if anyone wants to overwinter tenders. I am going to try rooting some Dicliptera resupinata, which is hardy for me but shouldn't be. I can dig more black cohosh and asarum from the logged area if anyone is specifically interested, but I get dozens of seed ticks whenever I go back there now, so I won't do it unless someone wants some - both do well in dry shade.

o

Brenda,

Thanks, I would love an 'Iron Cross' as well!

Sally

o

Karen, I'd like some Veronia if there's something else I can get for you?

Jean, If you still have some, I'd like to try some Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink'. Was there something that I have that you might like? I think we already have Buddleia 'Honeycomb'and Caryopteris 'Dark Knight' for Klems hardy gardenia and helianthus 'Lemon Queen', right?

o

Brenda, I'd be interested in your native tiarella, Kirengoshoma, and Leonotis for Pestemon tenuis, Sky blue aster, and aromatic aster. I would also be interested in black cohosh -- are you still looking for summersweet?

o

Alicia: Sorry, I forgot to respond to your earlier post. I would like to trade my tapioca for that bleeding heart seedling.

Everyone: If anyone is interested in EE 'Illustris', I have several of those. I also have some small seedlings of my Hibiscus gradiflora, so if anyone wants those, please let me know.

Sally :-)

o

Brenda - I will take some cuttings of my Lemon Verbena tonight. I've never propagated it before so I have no clue as to what level of success there will be. So far everything seems to be rooting. I have quite a collection of lemon flavored herbs and I don't know why... Did you bring the Dicliptera with you from Phoenix? I have never heard of it. Looks interesting.

o

Sally,
I would like a EE 'Illustris'. What else can I bring you?

o

Sally, that sounds good.

John, rooting lemon verbena is really easy. I have an extra that I can pot up in any case.

Brenda, do you want a Short's aster too or 2 Aromatic asters?

I put special trades and what I have in pots for trading on my exchange page.

o

Brenda,
Yes, I will bring a Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink' for you.
I would love a Lipstick or tiarella (or hydrandea, lacecap or other).

o

OK, Alicia, we are set for Salvia 'Love Child', sassafras, Honeycomb Buddleia, Nikko Hydrangea, native tiarella, Kirengoshoma, Leonotis, Black Cohosh, and Cary'Dark Knight' for Penstemon tenuis, Short's Aster, Sky Blue Aster, Aromatic Aster, serviceberry, La iris, pyrocantha, and jri, right? It's starting to sound like we should just have tea together in my garden and yours sometime with trowels and clippers handy!

Jean, I'll bring you tiarella for sure for the stachys - which one, 'Iron Cross' or native? I'll start some Lipstick today and bring it as well unless it fails to root - usually it's easy, but in this heat it's hard to count anything for sure. (Did you get your questions answered on rooting hydrangea cuttings? If not, if you email me your phone number, we could chat about it.)

John, I would be most thankful for the lemon verbena and amarcrinum for zombie, cardinal flower, and Salvia 'Love Child'.

I have a couple of seedlings of Calamintha grandiflora. I first saw this plant at BB, and it is a star in my dappled shade and clay. Would like to find good homes for the 2 babies.

o

Brenda, there's a Vernonia with your name on it. I'd love one of your Calamintha seedlings. Alicia, I'd love to trade for a cutting from Verbena 'Blue Princess'. I've got a cutting of Salvia mexicana 'Tula' already rooted, if you're interested. That one's been hardy for me, although like most of these salvias it will need some extra protection this winter from a fall planting. I'm planning to do my cuttings this evening, and I'll get some from the other blues/purples for you.

o

Karen,
I will try to layer a branch over the winter of my azalea 'Summer Lyric' for you for spring :-)
That sounds like a good idea! I would love to share it with you.

Brenda, I would like to try Ironcross. Thank you!

o

Brenda, that's right. I'll have 2 aromatic aster for you as well as the Short's aster, etc.

Karen that sounds great.

Yotedog, I can trade iris (probably Jesse's Song or Dusky Challenger") for "Black Knight" Buddleia.

o

I can't keep up with all this, so if I missed something, please forgive me. Brenda - yes phlomis is on my wish list - would love some. I also looked up your dicliptera and it sounds perfect (said it's left alone by rodents). Also would love some blach cohosh if you're going to be digging some - I don't want you to get ticks just for me though. I know how you feel - there are certain parts of my yard that I know I will get chiggers if I go there, so I only will go there for a very good reason.
Dana

o

Dana, No problem. Can you part with some hydrangea arborescens, Argentine Skies, or Emerald Blue Phlox?

Hey Shannon, What are you looking for this fall? You are always so generous in your trade quantities - I fall deeper into debt to you with every swap.

o

Jean, Great, I put you down for the Illustris as well. More Stachys is fine, unless you have any salvias or other drought tolerant sun lovers!

Thanks,

Sally ;-)

o

Hi Sally,
That sounds good. I will bring you 2 Stachys :-)
(and let you know later if I get any salvias rooted).

o

I can't keep up with this anymore and don't want to mess anything up so here's my special trades list. PLEASE let me know if I messed something up? I'll keep this updated on my Exchange page under the seeds category. Thanks everyone!

Special Trades for the Sept 9 Raleigh Swap...

Ais... perennial Ageratum and Curcurma 'Emperor' for Hydrangea taube and Curcurma 'Snow Queen'

Alicia... couple different Lamiums for Doublefile Viburnum

Brenda... Malva Mystic Merlin and a BIG Hedychium White Butterfly ginger for climbing Hydrangea, Salvia Lovechild and Salvia Lipstick.

Dana... wants ?..... for Viburnum 'Shasta'

Jean... Brug/Frosty Pink, Ageratum, Black Stem EE, Lamium for Gardenia Kleims Hardy, Ostrich fern, Viburnum and maybe Salvia Blue Hill and Dryopteris erythrosora

Karen... Monstera, Brug/Frosty Pink for Xanthosoma jeoquinni and Colocasia jenningsii. Plus some cypella seed! :)

Sharil... wants Pink Evening Primrose

Tammy... wants Ageratum, Monstera(?)

o

Deb, That's good, but I thought we were also going to do hydrangea 'Maculata' for your 'Taube' if you get it to root?

o

Brenda, Ais said she was trying to root some H.taube and I ask her if I could have some if she got it to root. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I think you ask her about it also. I was also looking for H. tardiva which no one has so far.

So how's it looking Ais? :)

o

You're so right, thanks for helping me get it, Deb. I can't believe the cuttings are rooting in all this heat. I was potting up little balls of new roots at 6am today, so they wouldn't have to be naked in the middle of the day. Now if they can just make it without water while we're at the beach, things will be keen.

o

Brenda, I took a couple brug cuttings, stuck them into a pot of soil and then put the whole pot down into a pan (washpan size) of water for a few hours and they never even wilted. However, the little time it took to do that I felt pretty wilty myself. Give them a last drink before you back out of the drive and have a good time! A beach trip sounds wonderful!

o

Brenda, that works for me. I've already got a hydrangea potted up.
Dana

o

John I am planning to bring you some Tasmanian violets for you fairplot tomorrow (Aug 5th) and I will go ahead and bring you another 'Mars'. Mine are mostly green with just a hint of purple too but they are more purple earlier in the year and stay purple better as they mature it seems.

So far the hydrangeas seem ok, but no signs of actual roots. I dropped a couple of branches down into the ground just in case.

Alicia I will try to root the 'Nikko', but you might ask Brenda too. She seems to have more experience with rooting stuff.

Jean, I'll save a 'blue wave' for you if I have one.

Karen, I have enough 'Summer Snow' to get you one. Do you have more 'hot lips' Salvia?

Time goes fast! Only five more weeks. I'll go ahead and post my trades on my page. -Ais.

o

Jean, I fogot to answer you. I don't have 'blue curls'. I think someone else did this spring.

o

ok, thanks Ais. I thought it looked like a neat plant.

o

Ais - do you want me to bring you the cistus cuttings tomorrow even though they may not be rooted in?? I can probably scoop them out of the media with little damage - or we can wait til the swap.

o

John either way is fine with me. I figured I'd bring yours and I can go ahead and plant the tasmanian violets wherever you point me, then I'll stay and help until the heat wilts me :) -Ais.

o

Ais, I'll put a 'Hot Lips' aside for you, a cutting that I rooted last fall. I've got more salvias that I started last Monday. I should know next week what's likely to be ready for the swap, although I think the 'Anthony Waterer' is already rooted. Gotta love this weather for rooting salvia cuttings. Ambient humidity is all it takes.

Jean, I think it might have been Brenda with the 'Blue Curls', but I have it too. You might be better to get seeds this winter, though, since it's a self-seeding annual.

o

Anyone want to swap Hibiscus coccineus for a pink or white hibiscus? It'd have to be a coccineus or moscheutos hybrid because they'd be going into a spot that stays consistently wet. A seed trade this fall would work for me if a plant trade isn't feasible. In fact, that would probably be easier because these coccineus are monsters.

o

I'm brand new to the swap and can't wait! I was out of town for the Spring swap and have been waiting for the Fall date. I've got to get busy potting up divisions.

Brenda, I'd love some Black Cohosh and Bloodroot if anything below interests you.
Karen or Alicia if you have any 'Hot Lips' to spare I'm interested and any shorter salvia varieties that you might have.

I'm also in need of:
Purple coneflower since the voles got mine last year.
Brunnera - especially the silver varieties
Gaura Siskiyou (pink)
Tiarella
Astilbe Peach Blossom
Agapanthus
Variegated Hakone Grass
Forget-me-not (myosotis)
Hellebores (I must be the only gardener without any)

I have to offer:
Aster Snowflurry
Dogwood seedlings
Tree seedlings - while oak, maple, tulip poplar
Chinese Indigo (Indigofera kirilowii)
Native Heucherra seedlings - green variety that tolerates sun or shade and is pretty much indestructable
Wild ginger (it's native - I don't know the strain)
Native ferns (sorry, don't know the strains but I can email you photos if interested)
Daylilies 'Paper Butterfly' and 'Stargazer'
Epimedium Rubrum
Purple Creeping Thyme
Light Purple Phlox (I don't know the variety) and David
Japanese Iris 'Joy Peters'
Amsomia Blue Star
Iris Cristata (native)
Veronica Georgia Blue
Geranium Cranesbill 'Blood Red' (pink/purple flower)
Chrysanthemum White Bomb

o

Raven, I'd be interested in trading Hot Lips sage for the Chinese Indigo.

o

Raven, since Alicia's got you Hot Lips, how about hellebore seedlings (H. foetidus, H. x orientalis, and possibly H. argutifolius if there are any left from where I dug them in the spring) and purple coneflower? I've got some salvias rooting, but let me know what your height limit is so I can see if there's anything you would be interested in. I'd love to trade for Aster Snowflurry, Epimedium Rubrum, and Chrysanthemum White Bomb.

Are you by any chance 'thekoop' who e-mailed me? If so, I do have white beautyberry I could bring you.

o

Karen-w--Ooops, sorry, I am the koop who emailed you! Guess I should have answered here. My apologies, and thanks for the Beautyberry! Mliss

o

Excellent! Alicia I'll bring you the Chinese Indigo and Karen I'll bring the Aster Snowflurry, Epimedium Rubrum, and Chrysanthemum White Bomb. I'd like to keep the salvia at 3' or under so it doesn't overwhelm my garden. Look for Liz (aka raven20).

Brenda, I'd still be interested in the Black Cohosh and Bloodroot.

And I forgot to mention that I have plenty of catmint (Nepata faassenii) for anyone who wants it.

o

I am new to the forum and am excited about the swap.

I am in need of:
nepeta- low growing variety
white daylily
serviceberry tree
white beauty berry
vinca minor- need lots, will take unrooted cuttings or long stems
creeping thyme- for between pavers
creeping fig
liriope, non varigated- need lots
foxglove- pink or white, tall varieties
prostrate rosemary

I have:
creeping raspberry GC
five leaf Akeba vine (chocolate vine)
mint
thyme- unknown variety approx 1 ft tall x 2 ft wide at maturity
1-2' native redbuds
native viburnum
can try to root cuttings of: camelia sasanqua 'Kanjiro', climbing rose 'Eden'

Thanks everyone! See you at the swap.
Krystol

o

I am also interested in japanese iris and curly willow tree

o

Hi dogridge,
I can bring you some liriope and vinca minor. I am interested in rooted camelia sasanqua 'Kanjiro' and climbing rose 'Eden'.
Jean

o

Krystol,

I can bring a rooted white-fruiting Callicarpa japonica in exchange for rooted or cutting of Climbing Eden if you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here