Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Triad Fall Swap - Oct 4th

rootdiggernc
15 years ago

Hi everyone! Just wanted to get a date down for our Fall Swap! I still need to reserve the spot at Oak Hollow, but unless something comes up we're looking at October 4th for our swap date!

D

Comments (64)

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I didn't see a time either, but I guess I won't be attending as it is about a 4 hour drive for me....

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran, I haven't posted the full info (still working on all the directions) but we have the shelter rented for 10am to 2pm, but can get there as early as we want. People usually start arriving abt 9:30 to unload/set-up and do special trades. We try to start the swapping about 10:30. We have a pot luck after the swap. There is a nursery up the road that some people like to go to afterwards called Nelsons. If anyone wants directions to that we can do it at the swap. He may come this year to the swap if he's done with Furniture Market stuff. We also have the Farmer's Market/Nursery an exit up (from our exit) on Sandy Ridge Road that some like to visit.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Ok root, making sure I wasn't just being dizty again....lol.

Thanks,
    Fran

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran, no problem :)

• dtpforu
    15 years ago

I'm updating my swap list and my want list this evening. I dug out an entire bed and where I thought I might have a few hundred bulbs, I have thousands. However, my daughter's boyfriend was so kind to dig it out for me. Therefore, I have a wheelbarrow load of bulbs, and 3 - 5 gal buckets full. I know what they all are and will try to separate them, but it's bulb time with no cultivar names. I know which are daffodils (mixed cultivars), which are lycoris (all the lycoris are the radiata), I have tons of muscari (all americana - the plain purple), crocus (mixed cultivars), lilies (mixed orientals and asiatics), daylilies (mixed hybrid cultivars - no ditch lilies), paperwhites, etc.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have some of these rooted if anyone wants to do some special fall swaps.

Here is a link that might be useful: E. strictum

• fairycove
    15 years ago

HI Y'all!
    I look forward to meeting some gardening buddies here in NC.

It's been a happy tropical garden I planted this spring and I look forward to sharing plants.

I'll have to update my list....

Meagan

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Rootdigger,
    Wanna trade some of your Strictum for my curly Epi? Mine is rooted as well.

Frances

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Vickie,
    I emailed you about maybe a special trade for some of your Lycoris bulbs.....but, I just realized I forgot to sign it. lol
    I'm such a dork.

I just wanted you to know it was me. lol

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Red, that'll be great!

Hi Meagan, glad you're coming!

• maryann2007
    15 years ago

I'm going to try to make it to the swap, Everyone was so nice, so now I'd like to share some of my plants with you all. I mostly have mints,AV and herbs. Choc.,orange,apple,pineapple,cat,and horehound
    St. John'swort
    Holy Basil
    and I don't know what else.
    Hope to see you all then.
    Maryann

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

I have some white rain lilies I can make special trades for.
    I am also trying pretty hard to collect some nicotiana seeds in red,pink,and green.

The rain lilies are white.

• dtpforu
    15 years ago

Now we know why you chose redheadedstepchild as your id. LOL I would like to trade some rain lilies for some lycoris. Would that work? We can email back and forth about the rest.

Vickie

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

LOL...that works for me!! :O)

I'll email you in the morning after I have slept a little...and gotten rid of the bleach smell in my head! lol

I decided to do a little fall cleaning and didn't dilute the bleach down when I used it to clean with. lol DUH!
    Have a good night!!

• plantbug
    15 years ago

I am planning to attend this swap. Sounds like loads of fun. Please check my page for any interest. Keep in mind lots of my natives are going/gone dormant. I will check your pages also. plantbug

• woodsworm
    15 years ago

Redhead, I don't have butterfly weed PLANTS (asclepsia tuberosa) to share, but I have lots and lots of this year's seed, which I collected just before the rain. Let me know if you want some, swap or no swap. If they're worth a swap to you, I'd like some rain lilies.

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Woodsworm,
    I'd love some seed!! I'd be more than happy to swap bulbs with you!
    I'll email you!
    Frances

• gypseaflower
    15 years ago

I really want to attend the swap this year. I'd love to meet you all in person. I lurk mostly but post every once in a while. I did attend one of Robin's swaps a few years ago. That was a blast. I have updated my plant list, nothing special but let me know if you see anything you'd like to have.
    Debbie

• Tammy Owens
    15 years ago

I am making plans to come, and barring any issues I should be there. I have wanted to come to the other swaps but something always managed to pop up. That means I have never been and have no clue what to expect other than enjoying myself. Is there any thing I should know that is a no-no? What about seeds?

Tammy

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tammy, absolutely no trading of children for plants... LOL, aside from that anything garden related is fine!

I have been slack this year, but should have directions up soon.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Red, Since I know you like epies do you want a Dragon Fruit/Hylocereus undatus? I have some already rooted.

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Ohhhhhhh, How could I turn down a dragonfruit already rooted? lol

Check out my list and see if there is anything you are looking for....maybe we could do an epi trade? ( evil grin) hehe

I have some Hoya I can trim as well....I am a horrible enabler!

Did I mention how excited I am about the swap? hehehe

• becca062
    15 years ago

Hi, I've written an article to promote the upcoming swap!

www.associatedcontent.com/article/1034114/annual_plant_swap_set_for_october_4.html

Hope the weather is good!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Becca and thank for the article promoting our swap! Don and I have a blast doing this and we really appreciate all the folks that come and are so generous. They're the ones that really make this happen.

A few bits of info I thought you and others (that are new to this) might want to know. We do not require potted or labeled plants. While that's nice and some people do and I'm certainly not telling anyone not to, we don't require it because some of us are just too busy or too lazy (like me, lol). Some of us are digging and cutting and grabbing up to the last minute and just don't have the time. We have a very laid back and fun group of people that like to keep it simple. If there's a plant sitting there that you don't know something about just ask, someone will help, or at least head you in the right direction so you can google for more info. I usually have my camera and if all else fails we'll take a pic and post it on the "Name That Plant" forum. Once you have the plant name it's easy to ask for more info on GW or search for other info on it.

As to potting, people bring plants in pots, milk jugs, tuna cans, bare roots, clumps, wrapped in newspapers and stuffed in plastic/paper bags, buckets and boxes. If you have arranged a special swap then you might want to discuss that with the other person, but the general swap is no holds barred, bring it in what ever way works for you. Also special swap items are kept at your vehicles so they don't get mixed up with the general swap stuff. Come early to handle those.

We understand newbies may not have much or anything to trade, that's fine and we love to take newbies under our wings and help them get started. No one has ever gone away empty handed. If you don't have plants to bring you can still bring food for the potluck!

We started this swap after going to the Raleigh (John's) swap for several years. We like the way he does his and we do ours the same way. People line up outside the shlter with all the plants inside the shelter on and around the tables. I say go and everyone grabs one plant and takes it back to their stash pile. We do that for a few rounds and then up it to 2 then 3 and so forth. That gives everyone a good chance at getting something really special they want in the first few rounds. Once we've had several rounds we have a final round where everyone grabs till it's gone. Then after everyone's eyes have glazed over and they're trying to figure out where they're going to put it all, we have lunch!

People always want to know what to bring? Anything garden related. I've seen seeds, yard art, garden tools, gourds, gardening mags, pots (a personal favorite of mine!) and more. Plants can be anything from annuals (more popular in the spring of course) perennials, shrubs, trees, houseplants, tropicals, herbs, edibles and natives too. From common stuff to the the exotic, it's all good! We do have a spring swap and last winter we started having a seed swap which everyone loved. It was a nice way to get a green fix in the winter.

We do ask for everyone to contribute to the potluck. Some years we try to have a theme lunch (chili, grilled hotdogs, etc...) I think we may have a cool fall this year so I'm going with chili. I know some of you remember the 1st two events we had where we about froze to death (in the spring) so I'm going for something that will warm us up just in case. I make a spicy chili, so if someone wants to volunteer to make a mild one that would be helpful. The shelter has lights and electrical outlets if you need to plug something in to keep it warm. We've never had a shortage of plants or food and we have some great cooks! Wood's hummus is wonderful (hint, hint) and Dawn always brings something yummy. For those that can't cook or don't have the time, there are always grocery stores/delis and so forth.

We keep this simple without a lot of rules and regs, and we have a lot of fun. It's all about the plants and spending time with other gardeners that all love what they do and love to share.

Sorry for the book, but if anyone has any other questions please ask.

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Would anyone be interested in some Hoya Lacanusa var. ( Snow Caps) ?

I have some rooted good sized cuttings. I have enough for 4 trades of enough plant matierials to fill out a 4 inch pot...maybe a 6 inch pot each.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Red... great will stick it back for you! I am so tempted by your epis, easter cactus, ground orchids, rhips and hoyas (hehehe, see I've been looking!), but I have to figure out how much more I can really handle. I'm on overload and haven't even been to a swap yet this fall! I have yet to recover from the spring swaps! I am doing some major cleaning out from my pot ghetto and beds. I need some breathing room!

• becca062
    15 years ago

Hi RootdiggerNC,

Sorry for any misleading info, my invitation says "Please bring potted, labeled plants only. No cuttings. Thank you."

Becca

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Root,
    I have a question....The swap is from 10-2. With special trades at 9:30 am?
    In order for me to get there at 9:30, I'm going to have to leave here around 6:45-7am.....lol
    When is the absolute cut off to get there and be able to swap? Just incase I get a late start...and, would it be okay with the people I made special trades with if I do not make it by 9:30...to do it after the swap maybe? I just don't want anyone to be disappointed in me being late...cuz in all honesty...I sometimes end up being late due to the kids...pit-stops ect. lol

Thanks!!
    BTW..I'll bring soda..if that is okay.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Becca, no problem hon, I just didn't want anyone to think they weren't welcome if they didn't have the time or inclination to do the extras. Like I said some people do label things and I try to at least label my oddball stuff. This year though we are digging a good bit out of my yard and may not have the time or containers to do it all. I am for sure digging toad lilies and I could probably go through old invoices and records and such to identify the individual cultivars (since I lost some of the tags) and such, but I'd rather spend that time digging more! :)

Red, That's fine, just chase them down and don't let them leave until you're ready, lol... The biggest reason we do that is sometimes people have other commitments and leave soon after the swap. We never start on time either so don't worry, especially when we know for sure someone is coming. Sodas are fine, thank you!

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Cool beans...so just so I know...will the trading part start at 10?

Toad lilies you said? lol :O)
    Did I mention how excited I am about this swap?

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Red, I'm sorry I told you 10. People start arriving about 10, I'm the one (and DH) that gets there about 9:30 to set-up. We have the shelter rented for 10am to 2pm, but can get there as early as we want. People usually start arriving abt 10:00 to unload/set-up and do special trades. We'll try to start the swapping about 10:30 or 11:00, with time for questions and scoping out the eye candy before the actual swapping begins. It just depends on how long that takes. Usually if someone is running late folks will help them unload to catch-up.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a link to the directions and other info......

Here is a link that might be useful: High Point Triad Plant Swap 2008

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Thanks Root!!! :O)

Will anyone be bringing any varagated canna? Other than red color. lol

Hey, I'd be happy with any canna other than red really...but, thought i'd try my luck on the other first. lol

• ferndottar
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Root and Don, thanks again for organizing this.
    We are not sure exactly what we will dig up, but will make some pies, and bring whatever can`t get out of the way of the shovel. Anyone want some big rosemary or lemon thyme?
    We`ll look forward to seeing you all soon!

Bob and Dawn

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Would anyone be interested in night blooming cerus?

I also have an abundance of Pineapple sage if anyone is interested.

• Judy Brown
    15 years ago

Hi, I've heard this is one really good plant swap that you don't want to miss! This will be my first year. I don't have the variety of plants that I've had in the pass due to a big house renovation that took some of my garden/plants. I'll be bringing some black eyed susans, ground cover that I need to look up and some sedums. Will that work?? I'll bring some food as well - dessert & diet can sodas. I'm really looking forward to it. I am particularly interested in ferns, miniature hostas. orchids and carnivorous plants. I would be happy to get whatever I could get. I'm kinda starting with a clean slate. See you soon, jdbheartease

PS - Any stray plants that I see sprigging up - I'll try to pot up.

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Root, do you know about how many people are coming? If it's not a huge amount, I can try to dig up my recipe for meatballs...I have a crockpot I can bring.

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

I uploaded to my member page all the plants and things I would be bringing to the swap.

It doesn't include things I've made special trades for.

If you see something on my regular list you'd like a side trade for...or something you would really like from the list let me know! :)

I'm super excited!! I can't wait to meet everyone and make some gardening friends!

• Tammy Owens
    15 years ago

Can we or should we label the plants with out email addys in case whoever gets them needs to ask questions? Also, do the plants need to be a certain size? For example I have some sedum ground cover growing in those annual bedding containers that I have cut in to four individual containers.
    I will bring some goodies to eat even though I don't know how long I will be able to stay.
    Should we wear name tags?

Tammy

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jdb, that'll work fine! Look forward to meeting you.

Red, We never know how many till it happens, just make what you can. It is OK if we run out... :) thank you!

Tammy, I'll bring name tags (note to self to get them out)... and emails labels are great or sometimes people will post last minute questions on the conversation forum about the plants.

OK.....gotta go dig some more! See you all in a few days!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, does anyone have any sassafras seed and/or root? I would love some of both but would be thrilled with either.

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

How is the gas situation in High Point? Do you have any stations with gas? Just trying to plan out my fill-ups. lol

It is still rather difficult to find a station with gas here...thought the situation might be different there.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hwy 68 is fine. We went thru there Saturday and most of it was $3.55. One place that we saw was out of the higher grade, but there are several stations thru there so it shouldn't be a problem.

Charlotte the last I heard was having a lot of problems. If you know anything about "Twitter" you might want to check on there.

I'll try to check Hwy 68 on Friday and if I see a problem will let you know.

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Sad thing is...right now gas is cheaper in charlotte where they have it than here...and in a normal time our gas is 10-15 cents cheaper than theirs. arrrrrg

3.55......THAT"S CHEAP! lol
    I paid 3.90 today at the station here in town that had gas.
    I'm not worried now..I'm sure atleast one station will have it! lol
    Thanks for helping me out!!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's all subject to change so fast, but will keep an eye on things for any major problems locally. They have a Twitter for Charlotte gas, link below.........

Here is a link that might be useful: Twitter (Charlotte Gas)

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Found a better tag for Charlotte - ctlgas.

Here is a link that might be useful: ctlgas

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Thanks for the links!!! :)

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

YVW, hope it helps!

• squirrelspur
    15 years ago

If anyone has aluminum cans I would appreciate them - our local teen group at the library is collecting them for a fundraiser for young adult books.
    I hope to have extra plants/seeds to give you in exchange.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Morning everyone!! Today's the Day!! WooHoo!!