Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tophersmith_gw

WANTED: $1 tropical plant sale

tophersmith
15 years ago

Campbell Rd. Nursery is having a sale starting Wednesday $1 for all these soft troipcals. They still have some great plants in there. I am just not sure what I can do with them as I am running out of space. They have Alocasia Portradora, Red Stem, Maui Magic, Chicago Harlequin, Illustrus, Black ruffles, Elepaio and large Alocasia Lauterbaachian. Maurelli Ensete, Musa Rojo, Siam Ruby, Basjoo of course. I know I am forgetting something.

Wait they also have Madevilla, Bougonvillia and caladiums

Comments (14)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Wow topher,
    I can not make it to that sell but if you could/would PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE pick me up:
    Alocasia Portradora, Red Stem, Maui Magic, Chicago Harlequin, Illustrus, Black ruffles, Elepaio and large Alocasia Lauterbaachian. Maurelli Ensete, Musa Rojo, Siam Ruby, Basjoo
    I would pay you for the plants and whatever postage would be to send them.

If you would consider this would you email me back and let me know?

Thanks,
    :) Fran

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    15 years ago

Where is this place?

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Country girl it would have to be near Raleigh somewhere...
    that is the area tophersmith is from....

I hope, I hear from topher soon....sad puppy dog face going on here...

:( Fran

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    15 years ago

Boohoo, I wish it was close to me.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

Campbell Road Nursery is in South Raleigh on Tryon Road. If you know how to get to the Cross Roads shopping center in Cary, just go one block further on Walnut, turn left on Tryon, go about 2 blocks, Nursery is on the Right on the intersection of Tryon and Campbell Road.

Please notice that the list includes Siam Ruby bananas - a plant that sells for $45 or more on ebay.

Most of the plants are very large - like head high in 3-5 gallon pots - it would cost a fortune to mail them anywhere.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Well SHOOT...John, you know both myself and Countrygirl are 4 hours away from ya'll.

HOWEVER, maybe Coutrygirl would be willing to share the cost of gas and we could come pick them up? If someone would be willing to make the purchases for us?

I still might be able to make the trip, maybe could go ahead and attend your swap if I am coming that way anyway, it sure would be worth it to me to get those plants...
    AND I LOVE YOUR SWAP JOHN!!!

So, if this is possible please let me know so I can go ahead and start making arrangements to plan to attend...hehe any excuse to get to come back to the swap meet...lol.
    So, topher, if you would be willing to do this, please please please let me know so I can figure out now what I need to do about picking them up...and thanks in advance if you will.

John, thank you for your input, geez I had no idea these were monster plants at that price, I figured they would be in the 4 inch pots.

Thanks,
    Fran

• tophersmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK I just went there at linch and picked up the follwoing for myself and a freind, it fillwed up my car for $10. Chicago Harlequin,s 2 Maui Magic, 1 Colocasia Red Stem, 1 Mandevilla (red), 1 Maurelli Ensete, 1 Siam Ruby and 1 Thai Beauty caladium (6' pot). All of the plants outside of the caladium are pot bound. I wil be repotting or plating mine in the next day. Being they are pot bound they would require watering everyday, something I will pass on as I have a puppy and 4 and 6 year boys to deal with ontop of my garden. Sorry ladies. John do you think you can help on this one? By the way they have about 50 Eucalyptus starter trees as well as hardy Hibiscus and tropical Hibiscus.

• MagickMare
    15 years ago

What a rotten time for me to be stuck out here in California! I'm hopping the red eye Friday - So hopefully they will still have some left over on Saturday!

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Magick- they'll have some left, i'm sure. They don't advertise their sales- it's all word of mouth. The greenhouse is still half full. I bought some today for my fair plot (i was there til about 12-must have just missed you, topher!), and they are indeed pot bound. They also have camelot caladiums, which don't look like much now, but are stunning in spring. I grabbed a pot of those. They have also marked most of the annuals down to a dollar a pot or 10 a flat. Herbs are 2 a pot, 20 a flat, and 4" perennials are 3 a pot or 30 a flat. the flats hold 15, 4" pots. I'm hoping the price drops quite a bit more on the perenns for ground covers for my fair plot. They usually do.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh ya'll I'm sorry. I didn't think about having to water and everything. I was just excited at the thought of getting those cuz I want them so bad.

I would never ask anyone to have to go to extremes so I could get a plant or in this place plants....
    Like I said I was just excited and not thinking about anything other than how much I wanted those, I have been looking for them forever and we just don't have any places around here that carries stuff like ya'll can get up there.

Forgive my ignorance I had a temporary loss of brain function there... no harm no fail.

Fran

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing this!
    I'm going to be in Cary this weekend to pick up a monster Epiphyllum.......I think I might go and check this nursery out!!

Next time we move....we are heading toward Raliegh...all the best stores are your way! :O)

Thanks,
    Frances

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I will be shopping there for the fair. I will see if I can squeeze anything else into my truck.

I don't know much about the different Elephant Ear varieties so I will just grap what looks good.

Keep in mind that I have not found Siam Ruby to be easy to overwinter. Love the look of it but it is a hot weather nanner - not easy to keep over.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

At least until tomorrow (weds) they have almost all of the summer annuals and all the tropicals for free. They want you to donate to a pet adoption agency instead of paying them. The sign said til weds- i'm not sure what will happen after weds. There are still quite a lot of cannas, some bananas, some ee's, some ferns, and plenty of hardy hibiscus, caladiums, mexican heather, portulaca, vinca, pentas, cosmos, lantana, 'blue daze', diamond frost euphorb, purple fountain grass, basil, and more i've forgotten.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Wow, I wish I lived up there. Tammy that is still a super list of things they still have.

I want some...lol.

:)Fran

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?