Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

o
WANTED: Raleigh Swap Wish List 2

Posted by brenda_near_eno Z7a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 07 at 8:52

OK, so we're at 150 messages, and more than 6 weeks to go - who says we have a problem?

Tammy, The Japanese Roof Iris seeds I dropped in a pot a few days ago have already sprouted! So I'll bring you pot of seedlings, which should be a couple of inches tall by swap and blooming by next summer or one after that latest. They will sleep in pot with a little protection over winter and really put on growth in spring. I will have a couple of extra pots for swap as well.

Shari, I did find a rooted piece of Euphorbia 'Golden Turm', so I'll bring that for you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Raleigh Swap Wish List 2

dogridge,
I have vinca. What kind are you looking for? I have vinca minor (green) and variegated vinca major. I can bring you both. It does great in the drought. I don't have the annual kind of vinca that reseeds, though.
Would love a rue or two (haha - rhymes). OK if chewed by cats, and would take chance they would come back. Did you save seeds just in case? What kind of cats? Blk eastern swallowtails? that is what I have...
and they are now eating the stems of the bronze fennel that I had/have, but I did not manage to get seeds b4 the cats ate them. If it reseeds or I get seeds, I may have some for you next year. Hoping someone (Ralph?) has some. Think he is the one that brought it to the swap a year ago, so he may.
Thanks! Jean

o

Karen,
Would love to try your native passionvine if you find any. And thanks John and Karen for your input on Rue. Guess I am willing to try it (with gloves!)
John, I would love to try the local Passion vine - Maypop, since I have a place for it to ramble.

I will bring fresh cuttings of your Koyame salvia to the swap, for those interested. It is doing well enough to take several. Great idea.

o

thanks brenda- that sounds great to me.

dogridge, i should be bale to bring you several bags more of the vinca if i get time to dig them shortly before the swap again. i don't need anything in exchange- am just happy to have another chunk gone. anyone else want some? mine's vinca minor, no variegation.

o

OK,I am late to the party! I am looking for asiatic and oriental lilies, no stargazers, orange or yellow, please. Also looking for tall callas of different colors, and some terra cotta or purple yarrow, or even white. Also looking for some bloodroot.

Ralph, I have your Pineapple Sage and Salvia Jaime.

I have TONS of aloe vera plants, no trade necessary, just somebody take some!
I have Canna Princess Di, canna Tropical Sunrise, Daylily Creative Edge, one or two rooted cuttings of Sedum Black Jack. I have a Hawaiian lily, some callas of different colors (I think they are pink) I may also have an extra pineapple sage and Salvia Jaime. I have colocasia "Illustris", and I have a large pot of dwarf upright EE. I can also dig a large upright EE bulb. I also have a hardy banana that wants to live at someone else's house!

I am sure I will think of more stuff, but for right now,that's what I have.

If you don't have what I am looking for exactly, any drought tolerant plant will be given serious consideration (I never met one I didn't like!)

Sally

o

Hey Sally do you know what kind of hardy banana? I already have basjoo and the chinese lotus type. I'm interested in your potted dwarf upright EE. Hmm... dwarf and upright?... A.Cuculatta maybe?

o

Root, I believe the banana is basjoo. I am clueless as to whether the dwarf is type of Cuculatta or not. I do have a Cuculatta, and the one I have to trade is larger.

Sally

o

Sally - I'll trade Fuchsia babies for the M. basjoo. Mine died this year. All my other nanners are doing great even the Siam Ruby I bought at PDN this spring.

RootyTooty - I still have your Edgeworthia!!! it did grow a bit this year and lost one small branch to the wind storm the other night. I may have to keep in my truck for the week leading up to the swap just to remember to bring it along!!!

Brenda - I will attempt to take cuttings from that freaky Himalayan Impatiens I got. It stopped growing and blooming in this heat so I won't have much, but for you....

Everyone else - I have mostly small rooted cuttings of various tropicals that do best as large patio container plants (Duranta, Stachytarpheta, Tibouchina, etc)

o

John, which Stachytarpheta do you have and what would you take in trade for a cutting? I've already got one, 'Coral' I think, but I'm interested in adding others.

o

Karen, I have a lavender Stachytarpheta which is hardy here.

Sally, are you still interested in the native Ruellia? I would love to take one of the Creative Edge daylilies off your hands. I also have a white yarrow and a pink yarrow.

o

The cuttings I have ready now are the Coral Snakeroot or Snakeflower or whatever they call this thing - but it is the tall lanky bushy one with coral pink flowers. I don't have the dark purple one (but I wish I did). I also have a mini red one which is a choice choice plant. I got it from a friend of mine that has a nursery (www.bustaniplantfarm.com) I believe his website will include more info on it if he still offers it. Since the others did so well from cuttings I will take cuttings from mine. I probably did take cuttings last fall but they tend to blend in with everything else in my prop area and I tend to not tag things... so it is all my fault. The whole plant is less than two feet tall and more compact than most Snakeroots. The flower spikes are maybe 8 inches long with very bright red flowers. So far it hasn't bloomed this year (which is odd) but the plant looks healthy so I believe it will. If I don't get around to rooting any I can at least bring cuttings for folks to try. I really like this plant a lot. I stuck it way back in a corner and forgot about it and thought I had lost it. Now that I have re-found it I am one happy camper.

Lavendar Stachytarpheta?? Hardy?? me want bad!!

o

Alicia, I'd love a cutting from your Stachytarpheta. And I've got another purple Salvia rooted for you if you want, 'Betsy's Choice'. It's a new guaranitica hybrid that's supposed to be hardy in zone 7. My first year with it so I can't verify hardiness, but the plant has been blooming well for over a month now and has been a lot more vigorous for me than 'Purple Majesty'.

John, sounds like you have the same coral one I do, but if you do bring cuttings (rooted or not) of your red one I'd love a piece. I looked at your friend's website -- very cool listings. It would be fun to plot a course from plant sale to plant sale across the country some year. Somehow, I doubt the family would buy that as a vacation plan.

o

Jean- I'll bring a few rue for you. I'll take some varigated vinca. I have never had problems with a rash and I handle it frequently. It does have an unusual scent that sort of gives me a headache. Looks great in the fall and winter.

Tamelask- I'd love some more green vinca, still trying to cover a large area.

Anyone with euphorbia to trade?

o

Sally - I'm interested in your sedum 'Black Jack'. Let me know if there's anything on my list of interest to you.
Dana

o

Karen that sounds great.

John how about trading the Stachytarpheta for cuttings from one of your begonias?

o

Sally, I would like sedum 'Black Jack'. I have Autumn Joy to trade.
Jean

o

Sally I'd be interested in Sedum Black Jack too; do you think you could stick a cutting? sedum roots so easily. If you don't want to take any cuttings that's fine. I'm also interested in your Canna Princess Di.

Drought resistant plants that I have: Scutellaria incana, ovata, Buddleia Royal Red, Baptisia alba and I will probably think of more later.

Dogridge I can trade you Baptisia alba (this year's seedlings) for your white iris. Are you interested in Panicum virgatum?

o

Sally I'd be interested in Sedum Black Jack too; do you think you could stick a cutting? sedum roots so easily. If you don't want to take any cuttings that's fine. I'm also interested in your Canna Princess Di.

Drought resistant plants that I have: Scutellaria incana, ovata, Buddleia Royal Red, Baptisia alba and I will probably think of more later.

Dogridge I can trade you Baptisia alba (this year's seedlings) for your white iris. Are you interested in Panicum virgatum?

o

alicia- I'd love the baptisia and panicum. I can bring extra iris or if you want a nice pot. I have akebia, creeping raspberry, white phlox, boulders, coleus cuttings, small gold flame spirea, creeping jenny. That's all I can think of so fr, but might have more.

o

I can attest to hardiness of Alicia's Stachytarpheta. They also had one like it planted at PDN last summer that was huge. I think mine is a little crowded.

o

OK, so far, here are my trades...

Rootdigger: my dwarf EE for hibiscus

Triangle John: my Musa basjoo for fushia babies

Alicia7b: (my daylily is CLASSIC Edge, not Creative Edge I was confused about the name. If you don't want that one, just let me know.)
Anyway, my Classic Edge, canna Princess Di and Sedum Blackjack for Pink Yarrow, Native Ruellia and Scutellaria incana.

Hollycliff: my sedum blackjack for Mexican Hat coneflower.

Ralph, I am bringing salvia Jaime and Pinapple sage

Thanks, folks!

o

Drought resistant plants that I have: Scutellaria incana, ovata, Buddleia Royal Red, Baptisia alba, Georgia aster, sky blue aster and I will probably think of more later.

o
RE: WANTED: Raleigh Swap Wish List 2 also

Oh no! I didn't mean to post 3 times, LOL. The first 2 times I got an Internal Error message or something like that so I didn't think the message went through.

Sally that trade sounds great.

Dogridge, I have you down for Baptisia and Panicum for iris.

o

Sounds good Sally. I've got you down for the coneflower.

Deborah - didn't we talk about a fall trade back in the spring involving a reed grass to help screen out my evil neighbors?

Dana

o

Hey Dana, I remember that now. Is your Gelsemium the fragrant one (not the swamp type)? I'd love a start of that and your Sweet Autumn C., if I have something else you'd like? Let me know, thanks!

o

My gelsemium is just the kind that grows in the woods but I've never smelled it to see if it's fragrant. Actually, I'm not even sure where any is at the moment. But I'm pretty sure I have the clematis available. I'll look later when it's not so darn hot.
Dana

o

This is what I think I've arranged so far. Let me know if I've made any mistakes or left anything out.

Brenda – hardy salvias (dealers choice) For hardy fuschia, impatiens arguta Blue Dream

Alicia –Iris pallida, Salvias ‘Guanajuato’, ‘Christine Yeo’ and ‘Betsy’s Choice’ For flame azalea seedling, old white iris, ebony spleenwort, lavender Stachytarpheta

Rootdigger –Agastache ‘Shades of Orange’, Salvia ‘Christine Yeo’ For purple glad

Shari – Salvia regla 'Jaime', other orange/salmon salvia, Plectranthus saccatus For Salvia meyeri (if this is OK with you, based on what's rooting it looks like the other orange salvia may be a cutting from an orange seedling of S. van houtteii 'Paul'. It will be tender, but it's very orange.)

Tammy – Passiflora lutea For Veilchenblau cutting

Woodsworm – Gladiolus ‘Boone’ For tuberose

Jean – Passiflora lutea, hardy salvia For quince

John, ?? red stachytarpheta cutting. Let me know if you want to arrange a trade or if I should just wait and see if you bring any cuttings to the swap.

I'll know better in a week or two which of the salvia cuttings took well, and then I can let you guys getting 'hardy salvias' know what there is to pick from. The cuttings just aren't that happy when it gets over 100 degrees.

o

root, i always have seedlings of the fragrant carolina jessamine popping up if dana can't find any. i can add it to our list. and i have sweet autumn c, too. both are weeds for me- so i really don't mind digging them. just let me know.

karen, that sounds right to me. are you rooting any of the little salvias that you brought before by any chance? i picked up a couple before, but lost one kind- i'll check the tag tomorrow. and i lost my dianthus japonicus- it was gorgeous, for about a year and then suddenly died on me. thinking there's something about that spot, because i've had the same thing happen to a couple plants there so far. the rest of the row of differing dianthus are fine; just that one died. what else can i get for you?

dogridge- i am happy to bring you whatever vinca i can rustle up. and we haven't forgotten about the boulders- life's just been really really hectic this summer.

o

Karen, whatever you can bring for me is fine- tender or not. So far the S. meyeri is doing okay.

Also I have added a 2 year Live Oak seedling to my list. I really want to find a good home for it- I feel guilty that I accepted it and then decided not to plant it. If nobody really wants it I may contact the Master Gardeners here in JC.

o

Tammy, I'm rooting a bunch of the salvia cuttings but was trying to do different plants this time. Let me know which one you lost and I'll try to stick another cutting of it this week. My dianthus japonicus had problems this year. I've still got some small seedlings out there but the biggest one died right before blooming. I'm blaming the excessive heat and humidity. The individual plants are short lived, maybe even biennial, so if yours bloomed before it died that's normal and you should see seedlings at some point. While skimming over your trade list from the spring I noticed that you had wanted Orostachys fimbriata. If you're still looking for it, I can bring you a rosette or two. My plant is getting ready to bloom now but I think I could take a bit off of the edge. It offsets well so it doesn't take much to get it started. If you've still got any Cymbalaria left I'd love a piece of that. I lost mine several years ago and never got around to replacing it.

o

Deborah - I do have the clematis for you, but you'd be better off getting the jessamine from Tammy since I'm not sure of the fragance on mine. I haven't even been out in the woods to look for any yet.

Dana

o

Dana, thanks that will be great. So, Autumn Clematis from you,... and Tammy I'd love some of your fragrant Carolina jasmine.

Dana, I was looking at some past trade list and it was you that I got the San Carlos Festival salvia from. It's beautiful and has done so well!

o

I am trying to root the following:
Josee Lilac
Hot Lips Salvia
Argentine Skies Salvia
San Carlos Festival Salvia
My Monet Weigelia
Thornless blackberry
Kleim's Hardy Gardenia
Clematis (mystery or silver moon)
Lind Buddelia
I will post any success later!

o

I agree Dana - I got a couple of great salvias from you that the hummingbirds are loving and so am I! a BIG THANKS to you!!!

o

Jnhidden, if you get your lilac to root I have Florida azalea seedlings to trade.

o

Alicia, I will let you know! :-)

o

I have the following available for trade:

3 well rooted Gardenia cuttings
Wild Ginger (shiny heart shaped leaves)
Yellow Bearded Iris (very old pass along)
Native Fern
Micky Mouse EE (Green & White leaves)

I am looking for:

Orange Bengal Tiger Canna
Arum italicum
'Gibralter' Azalea
anything from my trade list
just about anything variegated

Here is a link that might be useful: Magick's Trade List

o

Magick, I may have lavender for you. Let me try to root some. I have several kinds. Jean

o

Jnhidden, I'm interested in lavender too if you can get it to root. As well as Florida azalea seedlings I can take Sombrueil cuttings and I also have named daylilies.

o

Jnhidden - That would be great!!! Let me know if there is anything I have that you would like. I'll be updating my trade list (I ordered a bunch of seeds, which I will be sharing via the swap for anyone interested) soon.

o

• Posted by catc 7b (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 28, 07 at 17:21

I have some nice penstemon (mature plants, not sure of the variety but light purple bloom, drought resistant), some mums (fair sized plants), a large coreopsis (yellow, not threadleaf), a couple of holly seedlings, lots of lamb's ear, and I could root some Sedum Autumn Joy easily enough. Alicia, if there's anything in this list that appeals to you I'd love some of your baptisia. Also, anyone with hardy salvia - if I've got anything you might like I'd love some new salvias - I'm not picky about which ones.

o

Catc, I would like a penstemon, and would like to trade a hardy salvia if I can get one of them to root. :-)

o

Magick, I have white garden sage and rooted 'corkscrew' willow from your list. Could bring you both of those?

o

Catc, how about trading penstemon and coreopsis for baptisia.

o

Root - The Mickey Mouse is yours.
Is the sage you have Salvia apiana? Or Salvia officinalis? I'm interested in Salvia apiana (I hear it's iffy to grow here) or your Colocasia esculenta 'Fontanesii' - Black Stem.
From what I can tell.. the corkscrew willow is an upright form & I'm looking for the weeping form willow.

o
RE: UPDATED: Raleigh Swap Wish List 2

I also have a HUGE Blue Hydrangea that I will divide for the swap, if anyone is interested.

o

Happy Dance!! Thanks Magick! OK, the salvia is officinalis, but the corkscrew is a weeper. Mine hangs to the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salix x matsudana 'Corkscrew Willow'

o

Root - How about the Willow & the Black stem EE? Has your Black Stem ever flowered?

o

Jean, I have at least one Bronze fennel seedling in a pot. It is not very happy in the pot, but it should take off once you plant it in the ground. I should have enough seed for everyone who wants some.

o

• Posted by catc 7b (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 14:50

jnhidden and alicia - you're down for penstemon. Alicia, the coreopsis is all yours - it's pretty big and tends to flop, but it bloomed for me all season. Looking forward to the salvia and baptisia.

o

Magick, Thanks.... yes the blk stems get the typical spathe/spadix of the aroid family. I try to keep them cut off to keep the energy going into the leaves. This time of year it has also started sending out runners which will tip up at the end and start rooting. Looks like a snake running across the ground. Have been startled by it more than once, hehehe.

o

karen- i finally got around to grabbing that tag. busy week. it's salvia blepharephylla. as far as the kennilworth ivy, i only have a bit left after this hot and droughty summer, so could we do that one in the spring? it likes it cooler and more moisture, and usually is at its peak in the spring. we can put off the succulent for me til then, too. my dianthus japonica never flowered. i loved the foliage, though. i thought it would that first year and when it didn't i was disappointed. then it got huge but up and died suddenly on me. :( if you don't have enough babes to share now, we'll get that another swap. i'd really like to get it again sometime.

root, i'll keep my eyes open for a seedling of jessamine. they always pop up everywhere- the birds must like the fruit/seeds.

alicia, i don't know if we're lopsided or not (probably), but if you have any more alba seedlings, i would love to give one a try. let me know if there's something else you want.

i'll try to sift through the threads and get a ' swaps so far' list updated on my page really soon.

o

Tammy, no problem on the kenilworth. You're right, it would probably transplant better in the spring anyway. I'll take a cutting of the blepharophylla this weekend. My puppy knocked over some of my extra salvia cuttings yesterday so I was going to do another round anyway. He's caused enough damage at this point that I think I can safely add him to my official list of garden marauders.

o

thanks so much karen! at least you aren't threatening to throw the puppy in the swap (yet). :)

o

Tammy how about trading baptisia for cuttings of Fantin Latour?

o

Hollyclyff - Do you still have any Bengal Tiger Cannas?
I'll be updating my trade list over the weekend, but let me know if you see anything of interest... I'm dying for some Bengal Tigers!!

o

sure alicia, that works for me. thanks.

o

magick - sure I've got have Bengal Tiger. I'll check your list later.
Dana

o

Hollyclyff - I've got seeds on the way:

Gentiana andrewsii ~ Bottle Gentian
Silene regia ~ Royal Catchfly

and a small rooted Baptisia 'PURPLE SMOKE' plant

o

Oooh, I'd love the baptisia magick!

o

Hollyclyff - For the Bengal Tiger Canna, it's yours!!! You have no idea how much I love those Cannas... Thank you!!!

o

Alicia, I will save a lavender for you too assuming they root. If so, I would love a Florida azalea seedling.

o

jean, do have downy lavendar? it looks like an artemesia. i think it's only marginally hardy here. anyhow, i would love a cutting of it if you have it. i am going to try and get a bunch of spanish lavendar rooted for the swap.

o

Here is my trade list so far. Let me know if I've left anything out:

Brenda: No. River Oats, So. Lady fern, Native ruellia, Lamium, "Homestead Purple" verbena and Baptisia alba seedling for 2 foamflower, hardy fuschia, Black Cohosh and Sweet Betsy.

Magick: Native ruellia, Butterfly weed seed, and Sombrueil rose for Confederate jasmine and Climbing Butterscotch.

Rootdigger: Wintersweet, Possamhaw, So. lady fern, Cinnamon fern, Netted Chain Fern, and woodland phlox for cuttings Bridal Wreath, phlox, EE, daylilies, iris

Tammy: Royal fern, Cinnamon fern, Scutellaria ovata and incana, American Snowbell seedling, Beautybush and Baptisia for Purple Ruellia, Coral honeysuckle, Rose "Dehlia's Purple" and cuttings Fantin Latour.

Karen: Florida azalea seedling, Ebony spleenwort, white iris and lavender Stachytarpheta for Salvia patens, S. "Christine Yeo", S. "Betsy's Choice" and Iris pallida

Sally: Native ruellia, pink yarrow and Scutellaria incana for Classic Edge daylily, Canna Princess Di and Sedum Blackjack

Shari: Rooted Rosa "Mutabilis", Rose "Sir Robert Lipton" cuttings (spring trade). "Homestead Purple" verbena, Calamintha nepeta, Catmint, Ornamental Oregano, Eurphorbia corollata, Crinum, Amaryllis, Joe Pye and Hemerocallis citrina for Dana’s purple salvia, S. chionophylla, Rose "Aloha", S. "Wild Watermelon", Salvia "Indigo Spires", Vitex, Salvia meyeri,rose S. greggii and Buddleia lindeyana.

Carla (Ratgirl): Baptisia alba for dahlias

RalphW: Muhly

TriangleJohn: Lavender Stachytarpheta

Dogridge: Baptisia alba and Panicum virgatum for iris

Jnhidden: Lilac? or Lavender? for Florida azalea seedling

o

I do have some rooted cuttings of white lilac. It is Syringa vulgaris I believe. Dug it up in Oklahoma at my parents place. The story I've heard is that without certain amounts of cold in the winter the bushes will grow but not bloom. I don't know - these are too young to bloom. But they are healthy and do a lot better in my yard then Miss Kim.

o

John can we trade a white lilac for the Stachytarpheta?

I am just kicking myself, I lost the lilac from Witherspoon over the summer after moving it in the spring. :(

o

Sally, thank you for the offer of the Pineapple sage and salvia. I have several lantana in 3-gallon pots that are drought tolerant, but are not guaranteed to survive the winter if it gets below the 15 F we have had for the past several years. I have been working on my trade list, so look at what I have and let me know what you would like in exchange.

o
RE: WANTED: Raleigh Swap - Special Trade

Two years ago Triangle John bought for me in Oklahoma a double blue-flowered Butterfly Pea (Clitoria ternatea). This year I finally planted it in the ground in full sun, and it has responded by growing vines up to 8 feet long and flowering freely. It has also produced seed, 18 of which I recently planted hoping to have plants available for the Raleigh swap. They are slow to germinate, but assuming that they do so, I will be glad to share these plants. Since this plant is a tender perennial, I can also supply a few seed for starting next Spring as long as they last. If anyone has one of our native NC Clitoria marianna plants or seed, I would love to have either or both. Clitoria marianna looks very, very similar to the Spurred Butterfly pea which someone brought to the last spring's swap, but the latter is Centrosema virginianum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Butterfly Pea / Genus Clitoria

o

Ralph - I'd love some Tricyrtis formosana 'Saumurai' & some Arum italicum. I'll be updating my list tomorrow. Let me know if there is anything you'd be interested in.

o

Ralph, I've got lots of Clitoria mariana on the property. I let it run around wherever it wants in the garden. I've never tried to transplant one before but would be happy to dig some up for you. I'd love to try the Clitoria ternatea, either plant or seed.

o

ralph it was probably me who brough the butterfly pea. i've been bringing some to most of the swaps because it reseeds everywhere on my prop. i didn't realize it wasn't a clitoria, so thanks for the correction. i do have more of that if anyone else wants it! i would love one of your double blues if you can figure out what you might want from me? i'll try to get some gaillardia seedlings for you like we spoke about earlier in the year.

here's my list so far; let me know if i got anyone wrong:

Amyflora: poppy, larkspur, nigella, chicory seed or plants
Brenda: plectranthuses, ruellia, kiwi cuttings, for
roof iris seedlings, s. koyame,
Dogridge/Krystol: gobs of vinca
Root: carolina jessamine, coltsfoot, jewelweed seed, for
fo-ti,black stem ee, paph, hib, milk thistle seed,
Karen: veilchenblau cuttings for
passiflora lutea, salvia blepharophylla (this is lopsided- what else can i get you?)
Alicia: Purple Ruellia, Coral honeysuckle, winter honeysuckle, Rose "Dehlia's Purple" and cuttings Fantin Latour, bridal wreath, chicory plants/seed for
Royal fern, Cinnamon fern, Scutellaria ovata and incana, American Snowbell seedling, Beautybush and Baptisia
Magick: toadlily
Jean: veilchenblau cutting, asc tuberosum seeds,
Ralph: gaillardia seedlings (red and pink) for
double blue clitoria?

someone wanted river oats- who was it?

o

Still looking for :
Peppermint scented geranium, the one with the dark green velvety leaves
Hardy Salvias
Sedums I don't have
Viburnums
Low veronicas (any but Waterperry Blue)
Elephant Ears - black magic, illustrus, or other non-plain-green
Hollies(any but plain green builders use)
Columbines other than native red/yellow
Camellias
Heucherella
Agastache (sprawling sunset colors -already have blue and white)
Hardy tiger lilies
Hardy Ferns (other than Christmas)
Illicium
Evergreens
Deciduous azaelas
canna with interesting leaf color
gingers of any kind/color

Still have to trade:
Agastache 'Honeybee Blue'(3)
Crape myrtle 'Natchez White' (2)
Native red cedar (Juniperus virginiana)
Tiarella, native and 'Iron Cross'
Penstemon tenuis seedlings (Gulf Coast Penstemon) (3)
Beautyberry, purple American
Hypericum 'Albury purple', variegated St.John's Wort
Impatiens zombensis
Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream' (3)
Curly Willow
Calycanthus floridus, Carolina Allspice or Sweetshrub (1)
Hydrangea macrophylla, 'Nikko'
Crocosmia 'Lucifer'
Prunus mume, Japanese Flowering Apricot (1)
Salvia 'Maraschino'
Salvia 'Lovechild'
Sedum 'Angelina' (2)
Hearts-a-Burstin (1)
Cimicifuga racemosa, Black Cohosh (1)
Hydrangea macrophylla 'Maculata', variegated Lacecap
Echinacea 'Magnus' seedlings
Lots more, but confused as to what else to dig or root?

So far trades set up:
Tammy: Salvia 'Lovechild', Salvia koyame, and Iris tectorum seedlings (ruellia, plectranthus, kiwi cuttings)
Carole Woodsworm: Tiarella and cilantro seeds (Trillium and Cinn fern)
Nancy: Cercis canadensis, Tiarella, snowball Viburnum macrocephalum 'Sterile'(for sensitive fern and Green&Gold)
Alicia: Fuchsia 'Sanihanf',Tiarella 'Iron Cross' X 2, black cohosh, calycanthus florida,Prunus mume (for Ruellia, Lady Fern, northern sea oats,lamium, 'Homestead Purple', Baptisia )
Rootdigger: Zephyranthes atamasco and Salvia 'Lovechild', and Impatiens capensis seeds if possible(for Japanese Beech Fern and gladiola)
John: ??? (for Himalayan Impatiens)
Ais: Fuchsia 'Sanihanf'
Magick:purple beautyberry (for fern (not Christmas fern))
Karen: Fuchsia 'Sanihanf', Impatiens arguta (for hardy Salvias)
Shari: Salvia 'Lovechild', Euphorbia 'Golden Turm'(for Buddleia lindleyana, Salvia 'Indigo Spires')

So far, all but fuchsia has rooted - trying another set now, think heat is problem. Sorry no bloodroot, as it went dormant before I went hunting. Black cohosh also dormant now, but dug Alicia's and one other to trade.

I have lots and lots of seeds - should we have a trade box at the swap?

Sally, I'd love 'Black Jack' if you have any left and I have something you'd like.

Ralph, do you have any Lysimachia 'Outback Sunset' to trade?

Magick, let me know if you have any 'Mickey Mouse' left and would like to trade.

o

Brenda I'd love some sedum 'Angelina'. I have 'William Guinness' columbine if you're interested. Or whatever else you might want from my list.
Dana

o

Ralph, glad to hear the double blue butteflypea is doing so well. I would love to try a seed - if these become a hot item I will try next spring or I'll see if Steve(bustaniplantfarm.com) has any left when I go home this Nov. I started seed for the single and it is blooming well right now. That is one fantastic blue for a garden plant.

Alicia 7b - lilacs for stachytarpheta - yes!

Brenda - I'll just pick through your offerings for the Impatiens. Derrick (Mr Impatiens) told me the species but I forgot where I wrote it down. I'll find it before the swap. He's growing it also - from the same source. If my cuttings don't root in time I may just bring some cuttings to the swap. What kind of ginger? Hedychium? or Asarum? hardy? I'm still digging up 'Disney Hedychium, they are cream with orange blush towards the center.

I am also bringing a potted weeping willow. It was huge but most of the top part has died in the drought. It will resprout and fill in after a year or so. I just don't think I will ever get around to planting it.

o

John - What would you like for the weeping willow?

o
RE: My Trade List

Here are the trades I have arranged so far:

alicia7b: Butterfly Weed seeds & Sombreuil cuttings for Confederate Jasmine & Butterscotch cuttings
rootdiggernc: White Butterfly Ginger & Black Stem EE for White Beauty Berry Seedlings, Confederate Jasmine & Mickey Mouse EE
Hollyclyff: Bengal Tiger Canna for Baptisia 'Purple Smoke'
Woodsworm: Japanese Painted Ferns for Wild Gingers
brenda_near_eno: Purple Beauty Berry for non-Christmas Fern
tamelask: Toadlily for ???
jnhidden: Lavender for ???

If I have left someone out, PLEASE let me know!!
I'm hoping to be far more organized at this swap :)

My "wants" are listed on my Trade Page, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magick's Trade Page

o

Brenda, would you be interested in my Salvia meyeri(7b-has overwintered once) and some Illustris pups for Natchez crape myrtle and Nikko hydrangea?

o

Ralph, I'd love the Tradescantia pallida 'Purple Heart' for my salvia 'Jaime' and Pinapple sage.

Brenda, I have a small sedum Blackjack rooted cutting for your agastache 'Honeybee Blue'.

Everybody: I also have a rooted Brugmansia 'Insignius Pink' that's about a foot or so tall, Sedum 'Carl' and Sedum 'Matrona', both well rooted. "Carl' in particular is a great sedum. It s about 3 feet tall right now. I love this one.
I have 2 more canna 'Princess Di', and a small hosta 'Patriot'. I am always looking for new salvias or sages I don't have or some agastaches. Also looking for anything that likes dry and sandy soil.

Sally

o

Magick - I'll trade gardenias for the weeping willow. Do you want me to cut it back or see if you can nurse it back to its former glory? It is maybe 6-7 feet tall in a three gallon pot (way root bound). Looks like there is new sprouts emerging up til 2 feet on the trunk. I'm thinking about just setting the whole pot into a tub of water to see if more of it will spring back to life. It was supposed to get planted down by the creek. But the creek has dried up and I have no way to water it that far away from the house.

I notice you also are looking for artichokes. Mine have suffered a lot in this heat. If I don't have any ready by fall swap I may have a few by spring swap. My garden has a row of about 6 plants but it now looks like I'm down to two tiny ones which may or may not give me some pups. It just doesn't look good for 'chokes this year. I have seed but they haven't sprouted yet.

o

Sally and Shari, sounds great!

John, I like the tall gingers. Disney would be great. What Impatiens do you not have? I have omeinse, arguta, zombensis, capensis, jungle gold, and the old-fashoined balsamina.

o
And: Raleigh Swap Wish List 2

Thanks, Dana, I'd love to try that columbine.

o

John - It's a deal for the Willow. See what you can do with the tub of water & I'll give it a haircut if needed. I have the perfect spot for it, next to a spring that feeds my creek! I'd love some 'choke pups, but do have some seeds on order (going to try winter sowing this year).

o

brenda- i have a few of your wishes. i have a chocolate mint geranium that is in my fair plot at the moment, but i'd be happy to get you a cutting, probably after the fair (maybe before- i noticed yesterday one branch looked droopy, so i may cut it off anyhow). the leaves aren't round like the peppermint kind, they look more like a tiarella in shape, and get a dark blotch in the center sometimes. but they are velvety like the peppermint. i also have limited columbine seedlings. i've got white (don't know which species), rocky mountain columbine (a. caerulea, blue & white), and a pale form of the a. canadensis- very pale peachy pink and cream if it comes true from seed. if it doesn't it would just be more red & yellow. did the mixed bag columbines i gave you this spring do ok? hopefully you'll see some blooms next spring. i can also probably get you some more 'georgia blue' veronica, although the drought has cut what i had way back. in return, i'd love to get i. zombenses again- my last one was in with some potted fuchsia (not yours) that got flooded and i didn't notice til too late and they drowned. i'd also like to try the blue impatiens and impatiens arguta (is it hardy for you?) if you have any more. is the st john's wort one of the invasive ones? i like the way they look, and variegated sounds great, but my last experience with a st. john's ended badly (i ripped it out after i threatened to take over my garden). just lemme know what you still have and want in exchange.

magick, unless you have more baptisia 'purple smoke', don't worry about anything in return right now. i have lots of the toadlily and don't mind sharing. i don't know how winter hardy it will be putting it in the fall, but since i have lots, why not try.

o

Tammy - Hollyclyff beat ya to the Purple Smoke!! But I'll try to get plenty rooted for the Spring Swap '08.

o

okey doke. no problem, magick. how do you root baptisias? i only have australis and some funky one i got from my aunt's land up north, but am curious anyhow. t

o

Brenda - I will haul some Disney for ya. I have all those Impatiens but will always have room for more I. omeinse. When I was on vacation in South Dakota I visited some gardeners that garden way up in the mountains near Mt. Rushmore (zone 4). They had a beautiful Impatiens they had found growing in Alaska!! It dies back each winter but springs forth from seed each spring. It looked kinda like a cross between balsam and regular impatiens. I am hoping they send me some seed this fall (there were no fruit on it while I was there).

o

Tammy - I haven't done it yet, but read that soft green cuttings root well in the spring, but they are supposed to be hard to over winter.

o

Karen, I'd be interested in Clitoria mariana. I should have seeds of the single blue C. ternatea (sp?) this fall, or is there anything else you want?

As always I am looking for Sassafras seed or saplings. Not having the best luck with those so far!

o

alicia, my sassy normally sets seed, but it must have dropped all of them with this drought. i will save you some next year. i'd offer to dig one up, but have done that for a couple others with no success. i don't have a lot of them and would rather let them get some size to them. wonder iif you can air layer them? i'd be willing to give that a go, but it wouldn't be ready for fall swap.

o

Brenda, I have Lysimachia congestiflora 'Outback Sunset' in a pot for you. I have one or two other varieties of L. congestiflora from the spring swap if you do not have any others? I am interested in your blue-flowered impatien and lacecap hydrangea if you still have them available and if I have enough things that you are interested in to make it a fair trade. I will soon get around to adding some stuff to my trade list, then we can revisit this swap.

o

Alicia, I'll look around and see if I can find any Sassafras seed. They're all over the place around here so hopefully there will have been some fruiting despite the drought. And I can dig several Clitoria. I staked out some likely candidates yesterday.

Tammy, what is your funky baptisia like and does it have seed? That descriptor is like catnip to me.

o

Alicia, I dug a tiny sassafras seedling in the logged area when I dug the cohosh - it was just begging to get out of the sea of dog fennel that lovely woods has been changed into. If it makes it, it's yours. I have plenty of trees, but find it hard to transplnat any larger than this 3-4 leaf stage.

Ralph, that sounds good. I have 2 lacecaps, one green/white and one yellow/white 'lemon wave' - I'll look for some rooted pieces this weekend.

John, what do you want - now I'm jonesin' for your Himalayan Impatiens and Disney ginger - so you need to tell me what you'd like, since we have all the same Impatiens.

Tammy, the Impatiens arguta "Blue Dream' and zombensis are yours - I lost most of the columbines in the heat, though maybe they'll come back. Would love a few babies you can spare and also the geranium. Is the geranium hardy for you?

I brought sourwood seedlings that had lived happily pots in pots for weeks last swap. Did they make transplant? Does anyone need any for this swap?

o

Brenda- yes, Sourwood seedlings-bring if you have them please! I didn't see the ones in spring. I would love one.

o

oooh- brenda i would love a sourwood seedling- i missed them in spring, too. i don't know if the geranium is hardy- just got it this year. probably not - i don't think any of the scenteds are. i did pull that branch yesterday, and should be bale to get 2 or 3 cuttings off of it. i'm happy to shar columbines with you. you want 1 pot of each color? the mixed bag ones i'd given you earlier will have to wait for spring for dupes if they didn't survive. with this dry summer, i really doubt i have many seedlings in the ground. it's hard to keep little ones alive in the ground when it's this dry- we just picked a bad year. i can see which seed i have too, and share some of that. fresh seed is easy to germinate.

karen- funky baptisia is very grey colored, has tiny seed capsules compared to most. i haven't seen it bloom- we've only been up in august. this is in the upper half of PA, about 1/3 of the way in from the west side- foothills to the appalachians on my aunt's land. last time i saw only one, transplanted it and have managed to start 2 seedlings from the seed, too (they are tiny & took forever to germ). it was small- like 12" maybe, but had many seedheads, so it had flowered. i thought it must be a mini. it's still recovering from being transplanted, but is coming round slowly- though no blooms yet- and it's stayed small. i think i put it in too much shade, but hate tomove it again since they hate it so. then when were back this summer i found several more, and they were much bigger- say 24-30" tall, but the leaves are about 1/2 the size of regular baptisia. they had the same small seed pods (pinky finger size) and seemed much more glaucous than normal, but then, being surrounded by lady ferns would make them look bluer. they are growing in half day's sun or so, amidst ferns, lowbush blues, teaberry and dewberry- so obviously, acidic soil. this year was droughty up there; the other year it had been normal rainfall. i did take a few pix, if you're interested, and collected more seed, of which i can share a little. it could be something common- i really don't know, but it's eye catching, and definitely a baptisia. the only other thing i've seen that looks like that is thermopsis and it doesn't get rattleboxes, right? i'd love to figure out the mystery. i figured it key it out when it eventually blooms.

o

Tammy - I found another baptisia 'purple smoke', that I don't need, so I'll set one aside for you.

I've got one more baptisia 'purple smoke' if anyone is interested.

o

I'd love to try growing it if you can spare a couple of seeds. Have you tried to find it on the USDA plant database? If you know the genus sometimes you can narrow down to the species using their distribution maps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baptisia distribution maps

o

no, but i'll check that out later, karen, thanks. i'm forever gathering wildflower seed, so it's just one more mystery. i have an awful lot of '?' with date & place packets. :) really, i'm trying to get better at noting the place, sketching a picture or taking one, and sowing the seed promptly. so many of the wildflower seeds are sloooow to germinate, tho it's frustrating. you can have some seed, no problem.

magick, i would be tickled to get a 'purple smoke'. thanks so much! i haven't seen a baptisia yet that i don't like and i'm always happy to get more.

o
RE: WANTED: Raleigh Swap Wish List 2.2

ok- i looked and it's got to be b. tinctoria. there are only 2 types in Pa, and i checked the ones in states neighboring in case, but only tinctoria fit the description. still want seeds? tony avant pooh-poohs its uniqueness in the garden, but the ones i collected it from were stunners. very small leaves, 1-2.5', upright with tiny black seed pods on blackish stems. cute cute cute. and it can take a dry woodsy type situ, so long as it gets some sun. bright yellow flowers, though they are not supposed to be as big as most of the rest. just lmk... t

o

Brenda - I have a holly seedling from my larger hollies - I don't know the variety but they're quite large with dark, flat foliage. I can provide a picture if that would help. Would you trade for a tiarella or a salvia?

o

Tammy, I definitely still want seed. I think tinctoria looks very light and airy.

o

I will be bringing Mexican Petunia, Passion Flower Vine, Brugmansia rooted cuttings and Musa Basjoo pups of different sizes. If anyone is interensted in trading earlier let me know.

o

Topher - I'd LOVE some Mexican Petunia (they are the purple ones, right?)!!! I'd also love Canna Bengal Tiger from your list. If you are interested in Calla lilies, I have some Picasso I'd be willing to trade... or check out my trade list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trade List

o

Tophersmith, I have Peruvian Daffodil and Curcurma 'Emperor' (it's blooming now) for a couple of your brugs (miami orange glow and shredded white brugs), if you're interested let me know. I just looked again and I'm interested in your Patio Peach, I have a variegated crinum I still haven't planted due to the drought,...interested?

o

Brenda -- I have Salvia elegans 'Golden Delicious' and a few seedlings of Salvia sclarea var. turkestanica alba (Clary 'Mojito'). Also may have seedlings of S. viscosa. Need to check around the garden. I am interested in your Hypericum 'Albury Purple'.

Carla B.

o

Magick, Is that the White with purple center? If so then yes I would be interested.

o

Topher - yeah... they are purple, deeply edged in creme & came from the Biltmore. I ordered them too late to plant this season (as far as I know). I have 4 rhizomes I can part with. Let me know if you want anything else for the Bengal Tiger Canna & Mexican Petunia. Thanx!!

o

magick, i can get you a different type of ruellia(mexican petunias) if i can have one of those yummy callas.... the ruellia is med purple blue, upright to about 18", and has bronzy/olive green foiliage.

o

Oh... those would look great in front of the taller Ruellia! I'll put one aside for you - how can I not - you were so generous at the spring swap!!

o

Want to make sure I haven't missed anyone, let me know if I've messed up on any of these. Thanks Everyone!!

Alicia - Wintersweet?, ferns, passamahaw, woodland phlox for phlox, BW cuttings, elephant ears/colocasia esculenta, Iris and Daylilies.

Brenda - rain lilies and lovechild for J beech fern and glads

Dana - Sw Autumn clematis for reedgrass

Jnhidden - boulders and spearmint for hibiscus AH, lemon balm and large fennel

Karen - Agastache rupestris/apricot and Salvia Christine Yeo for glads and ??

Magick - white beauty berry and Confederate jasmine/Star jasmine and Mickey Mouse EE for white butterflyginger and black stem EE.

Sally - upright dwarf EE for Hibiscus AH

Sharil - Iron Cross Oxalis for EE's and Daylilies

Tammy - coltsfoot, carolina jassmine (spring is fine), Jewelweed seed, for Black Stem EE, T. lady slipper, phlox, milk thistle seed, Fo-Ti.

Woodsworm - Atom Glads for crocosmia and phlox

o

Hi Carla, glad to hear from you! I would love the salvia babies. I have the Albury potted. Also some other stuff you might like rooting now - I'll call out when I see roots.

Catc, I have a tiarella seedling pot from "Iron Cross" for you. They resemble "Iron Butterfly", and I wonder if it wasn't Reba&Roses (where I first got it) way of getting around the registered name? Would love the holly.

Shari and Tammy, will dig sourwood this weekend. In the heat, I make no guarantees, but my garden is always so dry and clay-y, sometimes it seems like the most rugged and desperate-to-live plants are the only ones that make it anyway, so maybe I get a hardiest genetic selections? lol, anyone need new plant varieties tested for drought and poor-soil resistance? Send them to my place.

IS IT EVER GOING TO RAIN?

o

rootdiggernc
did you get my email everything on your list looks good, why don't you drop by as I would need to cut the Brugs and they would need to go right into water asap.

o

Tophersmith, I didn't get an email from you. Send it to jimtrek1@aol.com. I'd write you but you don't have one up.

o

magick
Yes mine are the purple ones the plants I have are already over 12" tall and flowering, as far as the canna go I will need to take a close look at my upper garden as my 2 other gardens are infected with the canna virus (they still flower but the foliage is not quite as nice) You are more than welcome to come by and take a look. I am on the Holly springs rd. side of Cary Parway. I will give you directions if oyu want to come by.

o

Topher - You're not far from me then. I'm right off of 1010 Rd near Holly Springs Rd. I'd be happy to see your plants, unfortunately, I wouldn't know the difference between a sick canna and a thirsty one. If you think you have some that are not infected, I'd be more than happy to stop by. Just let me know.

o

MAGICK,
ok give me a call 854 2666 ask for chris

o

Root,
For rocks/boulders - do you only want really big rocks? I can only lift us to a certain size. Any specific size you are looking for? I was just guessing that you meant large rock but maybe that isnt a boulder :) I will definitely bring you spearmint. Hibiscus AH doesn't look like it is hardy(?), so I will skip that if so (dont have a greenhouse).
You can bring whatever you think is fair - lemon balm and/or large fennel? Let me know what you think

o

Topher - It was a crazy weekend! I'll get up with you sometime this week.

o

Magick

Ok sounds good I am home around 6:15 everynight

o

Jean, I've read that this Hibiscus acetosella is not hardy but that it keeps real easy indoors. I'm going to try some indoors, under the house and maybe even in a glass of water. They root very easily. Any size rock is fine, PLEASE don't hurt yourself, it's not worth that!

o

Brenda - I just noticed you asked about the Mickey Mouse - I don't have any extras right now, but if I find one in time for the swap, I'll put your name on it.

Here's what I still Have left:
Gladiolus
Red Cannas
Wild Ginger
Native Fern
Yellow Bearded Iris
Black & Blue Salvia
Baptisia 'purple smoke'
HUGE Blue Hydrangea
White Beauty Berry Seedlings

Here is what I'm still looking for:
Harry Lauder's Walking Stick
Flame Azalea (any orange)
Japanese Painted Fern
White Creeping Phlox
Arum italicum
Joe Pye Weed
Pussy Willow
Witch Hazel

All pre-arranged trades are listed on my trade page.

o

Magic, what color glads do you have?

o

Alicia - I know at least some are white. The others were planted in shade, by previous owners, and did not bloom.

o

Hi everyone, I didn't think I was going to be able to make this years swap - again, so I haven't been posting and bothering you all. But now, it seems I might be able to.

I have potted up a few Gardenias that I rooted from my bush this year.
I've also got some Pink Obedient plant.
Pink Canna.
Yellow Canna.
Red Canna.

I'll have to look around and see what else I can find.
I like unusual things so if you've got something, let's trade.

Thanks,

Vickie

o

• Posted by haliwa01 7 (Garner/Clayton NC (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 14, 07 at 15:51

This is what I am looking for any of the following

Tree
Scarlet Oak
Willow Oak or Pin Oak
Sassafras (Sassafras albidum)
Carolina silverbell
Possamhaw
Sourwood
Chinese Fringetree or Fringetree
Large Fothergilla (Fothergilla Major)
Serviceberry (Shadbush)
Witch Hazel (Christmas Cheer)
Sweet bay (Swamp Magnolia)
Blackgum
Red Maple (October Glory)
Wild Olive/Deadwood
Wax Myrtle
Red Bud

Shrub
Winterberry
Sparkleberry
Swamp rose
Virginia rose
Purple beautyberry or American beautyberry
Swamp Rose
Virginia Rose
Leatherwood
Sweet Betsy
Purple or American Beautyberry
Longwod Blue (Blue Mist Shrub)
Oak-leaved hydrangea
Spice bush
Red Twig Dogwood or Bailey Red Twig Dogwood
Highbush Blueberry

I have to trade the following so far:
1 - Japanese Maple - Emperor
2 - Japanese Maples - Tanukeyama
Daylilies
Hostas

Alicia, when can I get those trees from you?

o

I just discovered a small, grafted Japanses Maple - 'Waterfall' - that I have available for trade as well as the plants posted above.

o

haliwa- i can dig some sweet betsy for you, a small seedling am.beautyberry, possibly a redbud(depends on rain), and can bring cuttings of an oakleaf hydrangea. could i get one of the the 'tanukeyama' from you in exchange?

i will have 2 or more perennial sweet peas to bring with me- any takers? if not, they'll go into the general pile.

o

haliwa01 - I have the purple beauty berry and Blue Mist shrub I can try to root for you for a Tanukeyama J. Maple,... or pick something else from my list?

o
Way Cool!!

Magick, I'd love the Waterfall JM if I have anything else you would like?

o

Haliwa, Are you going to the swap? I can bring the trees then. Do I owe you two white oaks? It seems to be there was something else, what was it? The oaks are very small (didn't grow any because of the drought, I put them in the ground this spring), but that may actually be an advantage because they'll transplant easier. This is what else I have:
1 gallon Swamp rose
what I believe is a small prairie rose (got seed from a GardenWeb swap)
Possamhaw (Ilex decidua) They are this year's seedlings so I do not know the sex, but if I bring 4 you should end up with a male and a female.
Wax myrtle
Sourwood (very small seedling from this year)

Next year I'm going to try again to get leatherwood, winterberry and highbush blueberry from cuttings. I was not successful this year.

o

Root - I don't see anything else on your list :( Maybe you have something someone will trade for an orange azalea, Harry Lauder's Walking Stick, or Pussy Willow? Then we could trade that for the Waterfall?

o

Haliwa - I have a small Red Bud if you still have some Hosta.

o

Tammy, I'd be interested in one of your perennial sweet peas.

Haliwa, I can try to dig a sucker of Carolina rose too if you're still interested. I tried this summer but it was just too hot. If anyone else is interested let me know.

o

If anyone wants some caryopteris I took some cuttings of it last night and more this morning. Trying some in soil and some in water. They should be ready by Oct, if not I'll hold them for spring.

Magick, I have pussy willow I can take cuttings from but not sure how long it will take to root and it would be a baby, so I understand, no worries.

o

Root - Babies would be fine!!! I just gotta keep myself somewhat on track for the plans I have for my gardens. My understanding is that willows of any kind root quickly. So I'll trade you the waterfall for some pussy willow cuttings. The tree is fairly small itself - a year old graft. Yippee!!

o

This morning was the first time in a while I've been out to take stock of things for the upcoming swap. Unfortunately the Passiflora lutea went dormant during the heat/drought so I won't be able to find it to dig until spring. Tammy and Jean, be sure to remind me to bring some at the next swap. Here's an updated list of trades:

Brenda – Salvias 'Betsy's Choice' and 'San Isidro Moon' For hardy fuschia, impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream'

Alicia –Iris pallida, Salvias ‘Guanajuato’, ‘Christine Yeo’, ‘Betsy’s Choice’, and Clitoria mariana For flame azalea seedling, old white iris, ebony spleenwort, lavender Stachytarpheta (still working on Guanajuato -- I had to start over on it because the first one rotted, then I had to go out of town emergently and when I came back a toad had buried itself in the perlite underneath the cutting. Scared the hell out of me when I went to test for roots and the whole pot started to move.)

Rootdigger –Agastache ‘Shades of Orange’, Salvia ‘Christine Yeo’ For purple glad (I would love to trade for Musa lasiocarpa too, if you still have any to share. Let me know what else I could add in exchange, I've got another cutting rooted from S. 'Betsy's Choice', which is also purple, and I've got Sinningia seillowii and tubiflora potted up. I could also dig up some Salvia puberala.)

Shari – Salvia regla 'Jaime', orange seedling of S. van houtteii 'Paul', Plectranthus saccatus For Salvia meyeri

Tammy – Salvia blepharophylla for Veilchenblau cutting and Baptisia tinctoria seed (The blepharophylla hasn't rooted yet, but is looking better with the cooler weather. Is there anything else you're looking for that I could bring in case it doesn't take? The gardening fates have made our trade lopsided in the other direction!)

Woodsworm – Gladiolus ‘Boone’ For tuberose

Jean – salvia 'Betsy's Choice' For quince

John -- ?? For ??red stachytarpheta cutting

Ralph – Clitoria mariana For Clitoria ternata (can't remember if we decided on this or not)

o

Karen, sure the mat is huge, so glad to get you a chinese banana,.... and the glad is pink not purple. I hope that's ok? I don't need anything else, I was hoping you would find something else you wanted. :)

Magic, Great! I will start a few this afternoon. I'll bring you at least 2 or 3 so we'll be sure to get you a good one.

o

no worries, karen- that all works for me. hmmm- maybe 'betsy's choice' if it's hardy & root doesn't want it? otherwise, i'll just remind you about the passiflora come spring. i'll probably be raiding your general swap stuff anyhow- lol. too funny about the toad under the cutting. often as i go to move a flat i'll have 1, 2, or even 3 come flying out, alarmed at being hoisted in the air- and i never even knew they were in there, so they scare me good. little boogers dig under/into my potted plants often, but i don't think they've killed too many. fortunately i like the brats.
speaking of, anyone need toads? we literally have thousands. there's a lake easement back behind our place and they come up after they turn to toads. at night our driveway has like 30 of them on it. seems like someone posted a yr or so ago that they didn't have any... i can help! :)

o

Karen our swap is very lopsided. Would you be interested in Tinantia pringlei(PDN's version)? I picked it up at a swap last weekend but don't think I have a good spot for it. I could also bring a couple of cuttings from a Seven Sisters rose I got.

o

Shari, I'll pass on the Seven Sisters, but if you still have any Lobelia cardinalis or a pink Vitex seedling I'd be interested in either of those. You should keep the Tinantia, I've had it for years and it will grow just about anywhere, sun or shade, and is relatively drought tolerant. It seeds off in a local way, so the main limitation is to not place it next to anything small and less robust. It's one of my favorite ground covers.

Tammy, I'll add the Betsy's Choice to your list. I just got it this year, but according to Dufresne it's hardy in zone 7. Of course, spring or summer planting always helps with salvias, so you may want to protect it a little if you plant it out this fall.

Root, thanks for the Musa, I've been wanting that one for a while. And pink is fine.

o

Karen I'd be happy to bring both the Vitex and Lobelia. Thank you for the tip on the Tinantia I probably would have brought it to the general swap.

o

Shari I'd be interested in a Seven Sisters cutting. Have I listed anything else you'd be interested in? I can look and see if I have a lespedeza that looks ready to divide.

o

shari or karen- I am interested in the Tinantia if you can spare a piece. I have a part sun location that needs groundcover.

Things I have to trade:
creeping raspberry
akebia
ajuga- Caitlins giant (I think)
shasta daisy
inky fingers coleous
agastache- sunset series (medium plant)
white phlox (david)
cuttings of roses- Katy road pink (old fashioned), Climbing Eden
purple heart
thyme, oregano, garlic chives, rosemary
boulders
blue star creeper

Wants:
nepeta
peonies
cleome seeds
grasses
vinca
liriope
sedums
euphorbia

o

dogridge- i can bring you cleome seeds. they are the old fashioned, tall purple or pink and white kind (buds are colored, and open to white flowers). they have spines, so beware! let me know if you're interested. i can also bring some sedums- whatcha looking for? i have gobs of s. tectrinum (chinese sedum- bronzey paddle shaped), some lineolarum, lots of acre (i think- the chartreuse pointy one), some 'angelina', a little 'ogon' and lots of small bits of misc. ones. i'd love some blue star if you have some to spare- trying to get enough to do part of a path. or the sunset series agastache- i can use that in my plot.

o

Dogridge, I was planning on bringing Tinantia for the general swap and can put your name on some. I can bring Euphorbia characias seedlings, too, and Pennisetum 'Moudry'. If you're looking for different euphorbias or grasses let me know and I'll see what I have. I'd be interested in phlox David, blue star creeper and garlic chives.

o

Alicia, I'll trade you the Seven Sisters cuttings for one of your single flower gardenia seedlings.

Dogridge, I have Eragrostis elliottii- blue love grass and sedums- spectabile, Purple Emperor, and mediovariegatum if you're interested. Would love some rosemary and 'David' phlox.

o

shari, karen and tam- deal on the trades.

Trades so far:
Shari- rosemary and phlox 'david' for blue love grass, sedum 'Purple emporer'

Karen w- phlox david, blue star creeper and garlic chives for tinantia, euphorbia characias and 'Moudry' grass

tam- bluestar and agastache for cleome seeds and chines sedum and vinca. Do you want me to bring a boulder to the swap? I can load a pretty big one into our truck, but not sure how to load it into your vehicle.

jean- rue for variegated vinca

alicia- white iris x 2 for baptisia and Panicium virgatum.

I also have plenty of white iris and several nice new terracotta pots to trade.

o

Karen, I'd like to try some tinantia too if you have enough.
Dana

o

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some thalictrum, Meadow Rue. Does anyone have any to trade?
Thanks,
Vickie

o

More things I'm looking for:

Paris polyphylla
- - - - - - - - - -
Dietes bicolor - Fortnight Lily
- - - - - - - - - -
Dianella caerulea - Flax Lily
- - - - - - - - - -
Remusatia pumila
- - - - - - - - - -
Chasmanthe bicolor
- - - - - - - - -
Chasmanthe floribunda
- - - - - - - - - -
Cautleya gracilis
- - - - - - - - - -
Heliconia rostrata
- - - - - - - - - -
Haloragis erecta
- - - - - - - - - -
Impatiens niamniamensis - Congo Cockatoo

Thanks,

Vickie

o

vicky- i don't want to dig up any of my plants, but they have lots of seed set and i could bring that for you. the lady i got mine from had lots of seedlings, so i presume they seed fairly easily. mine just haven't reseeded around much yet.

dogridge- sounds great. we can get the boulder either in our van or pete can run home & grab the truck if need be- we live close to this swap.

karen- the betsy's choice sounds great. i can overwinter it in the cool greenhouse and get it in the ground come spring if you think that would be wiser. unless we get rain, i doubt i'd out it in the ground anyhow. i lost too many newly planted things to the drought this year.

o

Vicky - I was looking at your list and noticed you are looking for Juncus effusus Unicorn. I have some that I can bring for you. I was surprised how well it has stood up this summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here