Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dtpforu

HAVE: Greensboro Swap Special Trades

dtpforu
17 years ago

I'll start this one by letting you guys know that I have the following to trade:

You can copy and past the links to see pictures.

A Salmon Pink Canna,

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/dtpforu/2006%20Flowers/?action=view¤t=347eb8d8.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch2

Orange Canna,

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/dtpforu/2006%20Flowers/?action=view¤t=9d6a5576.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch5

A Yellow with mottled orange canna,

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/dtpforu/2006%20Flowers/?action=view¤t=f586f955.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch20

Lots of Yellow Cannas,

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/dtpforu/2006%20Flowers/?action=view¤t=5ca2eb6b.jpg&refPage=20&imgAnch=imgAnch21

Crocosmia,

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/dtpforu/2006%20Flowers/?action=view¤t=Image32.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch7

I have some Spiderwort that has bright green foliage-I'll have to take a picture of it and let you see it,

Some daylilies - will have to post those later

Illustris Elephant Ear,(It's the one with the black)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/dtpforu/2006%20Flowers/?action=view¤t=Image35.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch6

Regular Elephant Ears

Evening Primrose - yellow - tons,

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/dtpforu/2006%20Flowers/?action=view¤t=Image78.jpg&refPage=60&imgAnch=imgAnch72

Hardy Begonia, picture to come

Four O'clock seeds, picture to come,

Cleome seeds - pink, picture to come,

Mixed tall bearded Irises,

Mixed lily bulblets,

Daffodil bulbs.

I'm sure I have more, just don't know what all yet. I'll try to get out in the heat this weekend and dig around.

What do you guys have to trade?

I am looking for some Carolina Allspice if anyone has some.

Thanks,

Vickie

Comments (32)

• woodsworm
    17 years ago

I have some Carolina Allspice for you, assuming the date turns out to be one I can make.

I's love some cuphea or starfire phlox if you have enough to share. If you don't, crocosmia will do nicely! Your flowers look wonderful.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

The date is October 7th at Oak Hollow Lake Park(shelter #1) on Hwy 68 off of I - 40 (airport exit). I'll post the rest of the details soon. Hope you can make it Woods!

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi woodsworm!

Crocosmia I have tons of. Unfortunately the cuphea was just planted this year and hasn't spread enough for me to share. I'm planning on digging it up and putting it in the greenhouse for the winter as I don't think it's hardy here. The Starfire Phlox hasn't spread that much but I'll see what I can do on it. As I said, Crocosmia I have a ton of! Hope you can make it.

Vickie

• antiquegardenfairy
    17 years ago

I have plenty of Carolina Allspice I can bring if anyone is interested, varying heights. Also have some small white dogwoods, monkey grass (solid green with purple flowers), ivy, and possibly some mock orange bushes. All of these will be moved this fall and I don't have room for all of them. I've just started getting my yard in shape with flowers this year so don't have a lot of plants.

Not sure if we're trading seeds, but if so, I have some extra flower seeds I can bring. Again, if we are trading seeds, I'd be interested in some heirloom tomato and different vegetable seeds.

Sandy

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Not going to have a lot of time to do special trades (my daughter's getting married, WHOOO HOOO - \o/) but I have lots of goodies to bring. Hardy Begonia, perennial Ageratum and Salvia 'Hot Lips', Split Leaf Philodendron (Monstera deliciosa), a couple Bridal Wreath Spirea, some 'Spineless' Prickly Pear, White Butterfly Ginger, etc.... I've also planted some seed of 4 o'clock 'limelight' and Malva 'Mystic Merlin'....

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am definitely interested in the Carolina Allspice! Please see my list above for what I have to trade, and I'm sure I'll have more. Rootdigger, I better be getting a piece of that Hotlips Salvia!

Thanks,

Vickie

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Vickie I would love to have some of your spiderwort. Is it Sweet Kate? I will be working on my list over the next week so you can see what I have to bring. It looks like there is plenty of Carolina Allspice out there.

Congrats on the wedding. I know you are excited but busy. Sometimes I think the mother is busier than the bride. I am interested in your hardy begonia. I think I grab some at each swap. Between your begonia and Ralph's sweet woodruff I may be able to cover a large part of my yard in 2 years. Shannon/Dirtrx

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Shannon, consider it yours. I've tried Carolina Allspice for the past two years but haven't been able to get it to live. I love the stuff, though so want to try it again.

Yeah, Deb's busier than ever what with this wedding. I haven't heard a peep out of her at all lately. I need to call her.

Vickie

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

V, yes you do.... (need to call me). I just got home yesterday and then took off for Burlington to shop for her wedding dress. Now that part is done! A bunch of my stuff I had potted up for the swap is dead (sniff). Not sure what part of "water these things while I'm gone" she didn't understand.

Shannon, the begonias start going dormant in the fall, but I'll have some in a pot for you.

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Deb, I have Bishop's weed if you are still looking for varigated plants. What about silver or grey? I have some foxgloves plants I am going to bring. I have a lavender plant. I'm using it but if its for your daughter's weeding I could bring it and maybe get a cutting this spring. I also dug up a white gaura but it doesn't make much of a white impact.
    Vickie- digging up the Allspice for you unless you have a swap with someone else then it will go into the general swap. Slowly adding to my list. Shannon/Dirtrx

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Shannon, thanks you're a sweetheart for offering, but I kill lavender, gave up on it some years ago. I want to wait til after the Raleigh swap to decide about any other plants. Plus I've been buying things when I catch them on sale. I'm trying to be careful to stick to the tuff stuff or things I can store inside that are tender, so I'm pretty limited on space.

V, we've got to get together and map out the mileage from I-40. It's a nice straight shot from the interstate so it won't be difficult for people to find.

• woodsworm
    17 years ago

Anyone want some RabbitÂs Foot Fern (Davallia fejeensis ÂPlumosaÂ) for summer patio/ winter houseplant? I have a bunch I rooted last spring.

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

woodsworm, I would LOVE some rabbit's foot fern and in a couple of more weeks, I should have a greenhouse up that I can put it in for the winter!

Vickie

• joydveenc7
    17 years ago

I can bring some divided chunks of bog sage, black and blue salvia, Goldsturm coneflowers, goblin gaillardia, tall blue german iris, hardy lamium (not Nancy or Herman's Pride - large roundish, thick leaf with variegation). Also have four-o'clock seeds - solid red and yellow-white (mostly yellow). These things have survived the rabbit plague in my neighborhood this year by being too strong tasting or rough textured for them.

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Hi Joy, I am interested in your bog sage. Still working on my list. I have several plants that need to be overwintered until spring and then will be safe to plant out permanently. I also have seeds for swapping. I don't know what you are looking for but if you let me know your shade requirements I probably will have something that needs divided. Shannon

• joydveenc7
    17 years ago

Glad you can use the bog sage. You are welcome to some without a trade, but I love to start seeds, and would be interested in a small piece of hosta (I have albomarginata) or another robust shade plant.

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Joy, I have some Hardy Begonia, if you'd like some for your shade. I'd like some of the bog sage, also, if you have plenty.
    Thanks,
    Vickie

• rideout_rex
    17 years ago

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, but I have been informed by Vickie that it would be okay to show up at the plant swap in G-boro with some hand crafted wares. Vickie, sweet lady that she is, has become my chief supplier of leaves for making cement castings of elephant ears, rice paper plant, rootbeer, and such. These are made in my garage and although I understand this is a swap, I am hoping to sell these to people as either garden art or deco that will become a permanent fixture to be enjoyed as a birdbath, feeder, shallow planter for succulents, or just whatever.
    I would like some feedback on whether people are interest in buying them unpainted or if others would rather have a finished product. Vickie has seen several pieces of my work and can attest to the nature my level of craftsmanship. Be gentle, Vickie.

Rex

• rideout_rex
    17 years ago

Clarification... I have no intention of selling these leaves at the plant swap. This is strictly promotional and I will be glad to distribute contact information to anyone interested at anytime after the plant swap. Didn't mean to convey the wrong message. : )
    Rex

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Hi Rex, Vickie has told me about your castings and they sound lovely! However, I'm not sure that it would be fair to 'promote' this at the swap. I know we're not allowed to sell things (some kind of park rules) not sure about soliciting (probably not). I'll discuss this with Vickie and the park and a couple other people that hold swaps and see what the general concensus is. It seems to me that it wouldn't be fair to allow one person to promote and not allow everyone else to promote whatever their line of business is and that could get to be way too much. Just not sure we want to go there. Will get back to you on this.

• joydveenc7
    17 years ago

Vickie, that sounds great.

I'm looking forward to the swap and can bring a dish for brunch/lunch. What time do we start?

Becky

• rideout_rex
    17 years ago

Rootdigger, I completely understand. I have other avenues for promotion and wasn't entirely sure about the rules and regs for this swap. Apologies. I'll just post here that I will be at Crafternoon on November 4.
    Rex

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Rex, Thank you for being so understanding. I do hope you'll still come. Sounds like you might need some plants to show off those shallow planters, lol! Seriously, I can bring you some little sedums. Just let me know.

Now about the Crafternoon, I've never heard of it. Sounds like something you should post over on the Carolina 'Conversations' board. I'm sure a lot of people would like to know more about it! Also have you checked into showing off your wares at the Farmer's Market? You might do well there in the fall on weekends!

• rideout_rex
    17 years ago

Rootdigger, I checked the Colfax farmer's market Web site and it didn't appear they accepted crafts, but I will follow up with a phone call to make sure.
    Here is a link to Crafternoon from last year.
    http://kanokanojewelry.blogspot.com/2006_01_01_kanokanojewelry_archive.html

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

Carol, I have beautyberries set aside for you, but I damaged ligaments in my ankle a couple of weeks ago and I'm not going to be able to make the swap. It's gettting better, so I'll be getting my hands dirty again soon. I hope the swap goes great and I can't wait to go in the spring.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Hey Brenda, We'll miss you, but hope you're all better soon!

• woodsworm
    17 years ago

Anyone want some Japanese sword fern? My husband has been hording a patch for about 20 years and he graciously agreed to let me dig a few for the Greensboro swap. They grow slowly, but they're beauties I think.

Also I have a few crotons 6"-8" across. They're brilliant orange-green-red-brown splashes and are cheery winter houseplants then go outside in summer.

I myself am hungry for American beautyberries if anyone has an extra one or two. Also,this summer's displays of spider lilies have renewed my passion to possess some. I have never had any, what a pity I am. Anyone?

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Haven't posted much but I'll be there.

Joy- I am bringing you a hosta for some bog sage. I can bring seeds of stuff also.

Vickie- sweetshrub? I have it but not sure if someone else had you down. It will be there either way. Also do you need some "Little People" toys? I cleaned out my attic and found these toys. I would rather give them to someone I know but not sure if your grandbaby has out grown these. I have the barn and the house.They are a little dusty :0.

Rootdigger- what am I bringing you for the hardy begonia?

For the swap table I am bringing some yarrow and foxgloves. I also have some tender plants like coleus, alternathea "Joseph's coat", purple wandering Jew, and black elephant ears. If you can baby the first 3 you will be able to take cuttings and have more plants for the spring. The ee should be hardy but I wouldn't plant them out until the spring and then they should be hardy next year, well at least in Raleigh they are hardy with mulch.
    Watching Sandea Lee "Semi homemade" to get some food ideas. Its going to be chilly Saturday! Shannon/Dirtrx

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Shannon, any of your datura seeds would be great. Maybe a mix of them?

Woods, The ferns sound lovely! My American beautyberry is a baby I got from the Raleigh swap, but I could take some cuttings for you from my Japanese beautyberry, if you want to try it. It's the one with purple berries. I don't need anything for it, just glad to share.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

I'm bringing some 5 gallon buckets to give away at the swap! I think I have about 10 of them. They're clean, good for about anything. Most of them have handles too.

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Little People toys are always welcome. If she's outgrown them, I have an 8 mo old granddaughter, too. Yes, I still want the sweetshrub. I'll have the spiderwort for you.

Woods, are you talking about Lycoris Radiata? I have tons. It just finished blooming. I'll bring a couple to the swap, but it may not bloom for a while after moving it. It's really picky about being moved. But it will eventually bloom again. Sorry I haven't posted much, but I've been a little busy.

My son is in from Camp Pendelton between duty stations, so I've been visiting with him.

I'm bringing Shannon's spiderwort, Joy's hardy begonia, and wood's crocosmia. I'll have a few other things, too, but not much as I haven't had much time to dig. May just dig up a bunch of stuff tomorrow and bring it as is.

Thanks,
    Vickie

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

FYI Swap is still on. Rain is supposed to move out today. We're in a shelter anyway. Swap rain or shine.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!