Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: 'Spotted' Touch Me Not - Impatiens capensis

Posted by rootdiggernc Z-7A NC (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 10:36

Does any one have seed for this or can collect it this fall? It's also known as Jewelweed and should be starting to bloom about now. We use to have it along a run off stream below an vacant wooded lot, but a neighbor across the way plowed it down for some reason and so I want to reestablish it along my bank area. I know it's hard to establish but would love to try. Thanks! D

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens capensis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: 'Spotted' Touch Me Not - Impatiens capensis

I've seen it in the power cut that runs behind my house. I'll keep an eye out for seed this fall.

o

I've had it on my place in the past -- I'll keep an eye out for it. It's been a dry year so I may or may not find some.

o

Thanks Karen and Alicia!

o

Me too. There has been lots in the woods but I don't recall if it's spotted. I have used it for poison ivy.

o

Hi rootdigger, looks like you have some sources already...we always have this plant in our woods, so I can bring some seeds to the fall swap if you still need some.

squirrelspur

o

Deb, I have a few in pots that I can bring to the fall swap if you will help me to remember it.

o

Thanks everyone! Ralph I would love the plants and any seed you all collect. I'd like to get a really nice stand of them growing in that area. It's a weed zone right now.

o

root- i have it too. i can bring seeds and or some plants, though i don't know how they'll do that time of year. they are strictly annuals, and you'd do best to scatter seed in a moist area come spring. mine's the orange with spots. there's a park up the road that normally has the yellow, but i don't know if they do this year. just let me know if you want some. thanks, t

o

I have the orange with darker spots, but plants for spring swap would be best, since annual with lots and lots of seeds at end of season. Let me know if you want some then. Damp steam bank sounds good- it is extremely invasive for me.

o

Invasive would be good down there. It stays weedy most the time with undesireables, so to have this instead would be great. I've read that they don't transplant well and they don't germinate well. Any tips?

o

They germinate like crazy in my damp spot by hose, around hydrangeas! Damp soil, and I think seeds need to sit on top for light, to germinate. They are easy to pull out, so I have just a few plants, flowered last month, but re-budded now. So if I get seeds, I'll bring to fall swap. If not, seedlings for you in spring for sure. My first plant was given to me by a fellow gardener, who pulled out a handfull from her garden, stuck them in grocery bag, and I repotted limp, lifeless things 5 hrs later - half revived. I think wet is the key. They sure are pretty for natives.

o

wet is indeed the key. mine grow in the bog around my pond, and even along the edge where their roots can find any purchase at all- with the rest of the roots directly in the water. i can bring babies in spring, too- they tend to reseed a bit too vigorously, but are distinctive and easy to weed out. from seed, i'd just scatter the seed when you get it, since that's what would happen in nature. maybe save half and scatter some more in early spring in case any got covered up? should work fine. once you have one, you're good to go- it will take no time to take over! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here