Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

WANTED: 'Spotted' Touch Me Not - Impatiens capensis

rootdiggernc
16 years ago

Does any one have seed for this or can collect it this fall? It's also known as Jewelweed and should be starting to bloom about now. We use to have it along a run off stream below an vacant wooded lot, but a neighbor across the way plowed it down for some reason and so I want to reestablish it along my bank area. I know it's hard to establish but would love to try. Thanks! D

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens capensis

Comments (12)

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

I've seen it in the power cut that runs behind my house. I'll keep an eye out for seed this fall.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

I've had it on my place in the past -- I'll keep an eye out for it. It's been a dry year so I may or may not find some.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Karen and Alicia!

• woodsworm
    16 years ago

Me too. There has been lots in the woods but I don't recall if it's spotted. I have used it for poison ivy.

• squirrelspur
    16 years ago

Hi rootdigger, looks like you have some sources already...we always have this plant in our woods, so I can bring some seeds to the fall swap if you still need some.

squirrelspur

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Deb, I have a few in pots that I can bring to the fall swap if you will help me to remember it.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone! Ralph I would love the plants and any seed you all collect. I'd like to get a really nice stand of them growing in that area. It's a weed zone right now.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

root- i have it too. i can bring seeds and or some plants, though i don't know how they'll do that time of year. they are strictly annuals, and you'd do best to scatter seed in a moist area come spring. mine's the orange with spots. there's a park up the road that normally has the yellow, but i don't know if they do this year. just let me know if you want some. thanks, t

• brenda_near_eno
    16 years ago

I have the orange with darker spots, but plants for spring swap would be best, since annual with lots and lots of seeds at end of season. Let me know if you want some then. Damp steam bank sounds good- it is extremely invasive for me.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Invasive would be good down there. It stays weedy most the time with undesireables, so to have this instead would be great. I've read that they don't transplant well and they don't germinate well. Any tips?

• brenda_near_eno
    16 years ago

They germinate like crazy in my damp spot by hose, around hydrangeas! Damp soil, and I think seeds need to sit on top for light, to germinate. They are easy to pull out, so I have just a few plants, flowered last month, but re-budded now. So if I get seeds, I'll bring to fall swap. If not, seedlings for you in spring for sure. My first plant was given to me by a fellow gardener, who pulled out a handfull from her garden, stuck them in grocery bag, and I repotted limp, lifeless things 5 hrs later - half revived. I think wet is the key. They sure are pretty for natives.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

wet is indeed the key. mine grow in the bog around my pond, and even along the edge where their roots can find any purchase at all- with the rest of the roots directly in the water. i can bring babies in spring, too- they tend to reseed a bit too vigorously, but are distinctive and easy to weed out. from seed, i'd just scatter the seed when you get it, since that's what would happen in nature. maybe save half and scatter some more in early spring in case any got covered up? should work fine. once you have one, you're good to go- it will take no time to take over! :)

Sponsored
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm