Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

High Point Plant Swap Oct 17th ???

rootdiggernc
14 years ago

Have to make sure we can get the reservation we want, but it looks like it'll be October 17th, which is the 3rd Saturday. I'll post all the info as soon as we get that reserved, but we'll try to get the same place as usual (backside of Oak Hollow).

Comments (30)

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Deborah, Count me in. I'll be there! I'm looking for some white spider lillies. Do you have some that your willing to swap? Judy

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Judy, Glad you can make it! Sorry, I can't help with the white spider lilies.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do have quite a few epiphyllum (orchid cactus) babies rooted if anyone is interested. They are no names but most of them are oxypetalatum. There are probably some hybrids mixed in, but I don't know which ones because they're from pieces that I find broken off and laying on the ground, so can't be sure which one is what. There are some rickrack/zigzags too, which are easy to tell from the others.

{{gwi:551995}}

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    14 years ago

Sorry, I cant make it this year. See you in the Spring. I already have something that day.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry Robin, this has just been a hard year to schedule everything. I have 4 of the 5 Saturdays booked in October, including a reception for my son and his new wife. I hope we'll see ya this winter for the seed swap! ...and ya know we could prolly set you up if you're looking for anything specific, maybe Judy could collect it for ya, or I would be happy to hang onto it for you and meet you somewhere later?

• woodsworm
    14 years ago

I expect to make it Oct. 17.
    We just got an inch of rain, so if someone wants it, I can dig

tuberose (most or all is single)
    (Calycanthus floridus) Sweet shrub, Carolina Allspice
    (Clethra alnifolia) Sweet Pepperbush, Summer Sweet
    lilac (just an old fashioned lilac lilac)
    Lysimachia 'Persian Carpet' ground cover part sun for bloom; not drought-resistant but tough when established

Also I have
    indoor winter: pink calla (this is their first year)
    indoor winter: episcia (orange)
    indoor winter: streptocarpus "cape primrose" I'm pretty sure it's "cape primrose"
    indoor winter: cuttings of dependable, heavy blooming begonia (pink)with variegated green-red-white leaves

And
    mucho seed of butterfly weed (asclepsia tuberosa)
    mucho crocosmia (orange)

what I want: any lily deer won't eat. (and a ticket to the moon, and my figure back.)
    Carole

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Hi Carole,
    I would love to get some tuberoses from you. For some reason mine didn't bloom this year. Maybe I have them planted to deep.

I'll have to check to see what I can bring you. I have plenty of aguja, some sedums, a really cool house plant that has a spotted leave (I'll look up and give you the correct name) and perennial begonias for outside. Let me know if any of that is of interest to you. Sorry, I don't have a ticket to the moon and I'd like to get my figure back as well.

I'm also looking for unusual hostas and ferns if anybody has any to share.

Looking forward to the plant swap and seeing everyone!

jdbheartease (Judy)

PS - Deborah, I would be happy to take plants back to Robin.

• woodsworm
    14 years ago

Judy, I'm afraid of ajuga, perhaps for no good reason. If you have any more toad lilies to trade, or purple phlox or Siberian iris, that would be good. If not, don't sweat. I'll be sure to bring some tuberoses.

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Hi Carole,

Unfortunately, I don't have any of the plants mentioned above for swap. I divided those last year and they haven't multiplied as quickly. Maybe next year on those. But I do have tall white phlox if your interested and the houseplant with the really cool spotted foilage is ledebouria socilis (scilla violacea). Would you like either of those?

Judy

• dtpforu
    14 years ago

Carol, I have a Siberian Iris if you'd like it. Can we trade for some Sweet Bubby? Maybe this time, I'll get it to live. Hahahahahahahaahha
    Thanks,
    Vickie

• dtpforu
    14 years ago

by the way, I have a ton of stuff on my list that I'm wanting and dreaming of. however, I would like to find some established in a pot or whatever of false indigo. I've tried twice to get this plant this year and both times it hasn't made it. And I got good rooted plants, too, not cuttings. go figure. Anyway, I'll have to update my list of things I have after the swap today. can't tell what all I have left until it stops raining and I can get out there to sort it all out.

Also, wanting some good topsoil if anyone wants to get rid of some. :-)

Thanks,
    Vickie

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Was out there looking and will have lots of the paddle leaf sedum if anyone wants some. It was potted early last spring so it's well established.

Also Pinellia - Green Dragon - cute plant with it's little tails. Not sure of the cultivar, but it has not been invasive at all. Has spread maybe 2 feet in 5+ years.

Chelone (1) - pink Turtlehead

Arundo - variegated reed grass.. 15' - 20' - deer resistant. The old canes are great to use for climbers.

I always have rooted jade.

Huernia schniederiana aka Monkey Tail Plant - has a very deep/dark red bloom. Houseplant

....more later

• woodsworm
    14 years ago

Judy, I'd love the white phlox. White anything looks SO GOOD.
    And Vickie, I'll give my sweet shrub a good talking to before it goes to you and maybe it will do better. (I have the same problem with lycoris radiata, or maybe there be voles). I'd be happy for your Siberian iris.

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Carole, I'll bring you some white phloxs and would you like a ginkgo tree to go with it? Judy

PS - I'm serious about the gingko tree. I rescue it from a grower in GA. It's only about 24" high.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We could not get a reservation for our usual place, but did find another on Wendover (Greensboro). I will post the info for it once we get all the driving directions put together.

Would anyone like an unrooted cutting of Split Leaf Philodendron (Monstera deliciosa). I am getting ready to try to tame the beast and should have several cuttings. It's super easy to root!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the Park/Swap info...

2009 High Point/Greensboro and Area Fall Plant Swap!!
    Saturday October 17th, 10am - 2pm

Gibson Park
    5217 W Wendover Ave
    High Point, NC 27265
    (336) 454-0259â

Easy to google if you're unfamiliar with the area... but if you've been to our other swaps this will be easy to find. When you come off the interstate and come down Hwy 68S/Eastchester Dr., you take a left onto W. Wendover Ave., instead of the usual right onto Skeet Club Rd... It will be on your right 'after' Penny Rd and 'before' Tarrant Rd. The shelter we reserved will be the 1st one on your left, it's very close to the road... easy to unload plants and then move your vehicle to the parking lot.

We have it from 10 - 2... We'll set up at 10 (I think we can get in a little earlier) have the swap at 11, and there will be our usual potluck and chatter after the swap, so bring some goodies to share. We'll bring all the plates and cups type stuff and ice, water and tea, if you want something else to drink bring it along. Special trades that you've arranged need to be kept away from the general swap area. There's a game after our event so we will need to be out of there by 2. Let me know if you have any questions.

Remember ANYTHING garden related is fine to bring to swap, plants, bulbs, pots, gardening books/mags, yard art, tools, etc...

For those that are new to this...
    All the plants will be put together inside the shelter, on tables or on the ground. We will call out for everyone to go in and get one plant. Once everyone has gotten one plant, we'll call out for everyone to go for another. This way everyone gets a chance at choosing something they really really want! Depending on the number of plants and people we'll up it to two plants, three plants, etc.. until all plants are gone. It helps, but is not required to label the plants you bring, but be prepared to answer a lot of repeat questions on the unfamiliar/unlabeled ones.

We're excited to be hosting this again and look forward to seeing old friends and making new friends!

• dtpforu
    14 years ago

Carole,
    OK, the Siberian Iris is yours! I'll put it aside with your name on it as soon as it stops raining!

Vickie

• woodsworm
    14 years ago

Judy: yes, I want the gingko. Almost as good as getting my figure back. Thanks

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Carole, I'll bring you the gingko tree. I also found a pot of siberian iris, not sure if they are white or purple but I'll bring you those too. I'm thinking they're white. Oh, and the phloxes too - I'll bring them to you.

Judy

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm going thru pots this week, so should be bringing several. Mostly medium size plastic nursery types as I use more of the small and large ones.

If anyone is interested I can bring some brug cuttings.

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Hi Root, Do you have a ground orchid? If so, I'd like to get one from you. Gee, I wish I had of gotten one of the ground orchids that John had at the Raleigh swap today. After, I got home I did some research on the plant. It's a really cool plant with gorgeous flowers. Does he generally come to the H.P. swap?

Judy

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Judy, sorry I don't have any of the nun orchids, they are beautiful though. So glad you made it to the Raleigh swap, great bunch of people and like gardeners every where they love to share the bounty! John hasn't said anything abt coming this year, I think he's pretty busy right now with other things.

• bartj13
    14 years ago

I plan to attend the plant swap. It will be my first time. How much plant material do most folks bring? Thanks, John Bartlett

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi John, glad you're coming! Your name sounds familiar, are you Vickie's friend from the MG group? The amount of plants that everyone brings really varies a lot and there are no minimum requirements. We even welcome newbies that maybe have nothing or very little. We all love to help people new to gardening get started! If anything is left over we ask that you take it back home with you as we don't have any means of distributing it elsewhere. We do ask everyone to bring something for the covered dish get together and we have a great time yaking about our gardens/plants, etc... after the swap.

• bartj13
    14 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I actually have a good deal of plants-20 to 30- already dug, including some cereus cuttings
    which will root easily in water.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do you know which cereus you have? I have more than I know what to do with, My dh says I no longer have a greenhouse, it's an epihouse, just curious as to which one you're growing.

• bartj13
    14 years ago

I don't know its name-- it looks like yours but with a double petalled center-- fragrant-- I've had it about 10 yrs and it winters in the cool garage.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok, the one above is E. strictum, you might have
    Epiphyllum oxypetaltum. It has more petals and is much more fragrant. The strictum has been a better bloomer, but I hope since the oxy finally started blooming last year (1 last year and 2 this year) that it's finally happy enough. Now if I could get the rickrack/zigzag to bloom!

• bartj13
    14 years ago

Mine blooms well, usually has 3 big blooms (6-10 flowers each bloom) and may have an occasional flower in between. We have been known to have soirees centered on watching the flowers open. Sick, but true.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, same here!! Call folks, drag the lawn chairs round and wait with cameras charged and ready. I have several hybrids that have started blooming, but I missed the last few new ones, so aggravated at myself, to wait all that time and then miss the first blooms!!

this is summer fairy.... small but sweet and I think next year it will be a mass of blooms
    {{gwi:551996}}

... and First Prom.... both of these bloomed last spring. I missed getting pics of all the fall bloomers.
    {{gwi:551997}}