Houzz Logo Print
elaine5678

HAVE: Charlotte Fall Plant Swap 2012- Sept 22

elaine5678
11 years ago

Charlotte Fall Plant Swap 2012

Saturday, September 22, 2-4pm

Shelter #3, Park Road Park, Charlotte, NC

For first time swappers - we don't care if you have weeds (natives) or high dollar orchids. If you have plants to give away and want them to go to good homes, this is the place to be. We trade anything and everything. If you don't have much, don't worry - we don't have rules about that either. It would be nice for everyone to bring snacks or food to share. Hopefully everyone will go home with more than they brought! Other gardening stuff is also welcome- pots, books, magazines, potting soil, statues, etc.

How it works: You show up early and place your plants in with all the other plants (there are no sections - we do this on purpose). You find a spot away from the shelter where you can stash the plants you grab during the swap. I will stand up and welcome everyone to the swap and ring a bell. You get to grab ONE plant and take it to your stash zone. We do this two or three times before we change it to TWO plants per ring and then THREE plants and finally we have a free-for-all where everyone wrestles for the leftovers. Then we break into the food! If you have something that is extra special you may choose to arrange a "Special Trade" with someone. Special trades are handled before and after the general swap to avoid confusion. (If this description looks familiar to you, it's because I borrowed it from the Raleigh Plant Swap coordinator, John, with permission, of course!) Take a peek at the Raleigh swap post to see how they arrange special trades, etc.

After the swapping is over, we'll sit down to enjoy a potluck meal/snack, so please bring a dish to share along with your plants. Also, if you are inclined, you can leave a small donation toward the renting of the shelter. We have the shelter all day, so feel free to come early. I'll be there around 1 or 1:30. The swap will start at 2. Let me know if you have paper plates, cups, napkins or nametags that you can bring. Thanks!

Park Road Park is located near the corner of Park Road and Tyvola Road. Simple directions: from I-77, take exit 5 for Tyvola Road, turn east as if you're going to South Park Mall, go 2.5 miles, turn right onto Park Road (at the brand-new AutoBell), take the first right onto Closeburn Road, which is also the park entrance, then take the first left into the parking lot and shelter #3 is at the end of the parking lot. The small #3 on the shelter is hard to see. If you find yourself at a playground, you're at the wrong end of the park. You can drive through the park to get to us, or go back onto Park Road and look for the park entrance at Closeburn Road. The address that the city uses for this park is 6220 Park Road, Charlotte, NC 28209, but that didn't work for me on googlemaps. It would've had me about 2 miles out of the way. I'd suggest using the intersection of Park Road and Tyvola (Or Park Road and Closeburn Road) as your destination for googlemaps or GPS.

Here's a link to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg website about Park Road Park, including a map of the park: http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/Parks/ParksByRegion/SouthRegion/Pages/ParkRoad.aspx#map

Comments (12)

• elaine5678
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Also, please label your plants. Something simple like "yellow daylilies" or "cactus houseplant" or "Japanese maple". Thanks, this will make it easier to know where to plant the new plants we take home!

All plants- houseplants, "yard plants" and air plants are welcome. Some suggestions of things to bring:
    --divide perennials (daylilies, hosta, some herbs, canna lilies)
    --bring extra veggie seeds that you started, but ran out of room
    --dig up that plant you hate and let someone else take it home!

• plantbug
    11 years ago

Fun! Fun!!! This is my list (so far) of plants potted and I do have plants not listed. I can send pictures. Let me know if you see anything you would like to work out on a special trade:

rice paper plant sun/shade
    barberry, rosie glow sun
    catawba tree sun
    clerdundrum bungei sun/shade
    colocasia elena sun/shade
    crape myrtle dark pink sun
    elephant ears upright sun/shade
    forsythia yellow sun
    grasses, 3-4 ' tall sun
    lady in red fern shade
    lizard tail shade
    mondo grass 3" sun/shade
    mondo grass 8" sun/shade
    native holly sun/shade
    native red bud sun/shade
    native sun flower sun
    passion flower, purple bloom sun
    pinella tripartita sun/shade
    rice paper plant sun/shade
    trillium cuneteaum shade
    vinca dark variegated sun/shade
    wegelia variegated, light pink bloom sun
    yucca color guard sun
    yucca green native sun

I am looking for pink pampas grass.
    What are you looking for?
    Please email me directly.

Thanks, plantbug

• elaine5678
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New address for the park: 5301 Closeburn Road, Charlotte, NC. That should get you into the park. Then take the first left into the parking lot.

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

I am not sure if I would get to come to this or not but plantbug you do have some items I would really like to get. I will have to see if I can come. I will contact you if I am able to attend!

:) Aqua

• aeiger
    11 years ago

Happy Happy! I am new to Charlotte but have been a member of GW since the beginning. Have been active in CT swap for years. I have hardly anything to swap as this summer has been a learning experience but i do cook and love pot lucks! So see ya there! /Abi

• junehl
    11 years ago

Sounds like fun. I'll have to look for more plants, but so far I have some bridal's wreath plumeria.

• elaine5678
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have the following that I'm bringing to the swap or we can arrange a special trade:
    aloe- houseplant
    Porch Peach tree
    corn plant, 1 stalk- houseplant
    Easter cactus- very big
    Thanksgiving cactus- not sure of the color
    avocado plant that I caught growing in the compost

2 plum trees- these aren't coming to the swap- too big!

I'm sure I have more....

If you don't have plants, you're welcome to just bring food... Plantbug suggests CHOCOLATE!

• aeiger
    11 years ago

Hi, there, I am interested in a plum tree but how will that work if they wont be at the swap?

• plantbug
    11 years ago

I have for special trades ONLY:

Ginger Lily-Hedychium Dr Moy pale orange bloom, var leaf
    Ginger Lily-Hedychium coronarium white blooms, green leaf
    Canna-Stuttgart
    Canna-Bengal Tiger
    Musa Basjoo Banana
    Windmill Palm, Trachycarpus fortunei

Email me privately, please. plantbug

• junehl
    11 years ago

Had a great time meeting everyone and got some wonderful plants.

Thank you for hosting the plant swap laineyplantgrower

• aeiger
    11 years ago

Thanks to all at the swap, esp. Elaine for organizing! Gary and I enjoyed meeting so many fellow gardeners and just plain nice people!/Abi

• hibiscus909
    11 years ago

I am so sorry I missed this.
    I just posted a list, if anyone is still in the swapping mood.

Here is a link that might be useful: my post

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?